The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Reality

by asianpersuasion & J. Darksong

Conflict

“Anadriel! A word if I may?”

Glancing over from the head of her column, the elven sorceress turned in surprise to find a pair of familiar figure coming up to meet her on horseback. Signaling for her army to halt, she strode forth on her own steed to greet them. “Stein! Isiltani! What brings you both out this way?”

“I think a better question would be, what brings you all the way out here,” the dark haired guildmaster replied archly, gesturing to the army following in her stead. “You’re going after Marion, aren’t you?” The blonde sorceress sighed heavily. “He’s kidnapped my cousin, Stein. I can’t let that stand. He’s been spoiling for a fight with us for more than a year now, and every attempt gets more bold and brazen than the last. Taking Nora was just the final straw.”

“Perhaps,” Isiltani said quietly, “but your reaction to his goading is reckless. Going after him in full force this way… it’s exactly what he wants. And your Sylvan Order marching en masse hasn’t been without notice. The media and news is tracking the event, and while they haven’t guessed what your destination is, there is enough speculation going around to cause interest to spike dramatically.”

“Marion loves the limelight,” Stein added, shaking his head ruefully. “He wants everyone looking at him, following him, paying attention, and by going after him this way, you’re playing right into his hands.” Dri frowned, bristling at the rebuke. “Look,” Stein continued, trying to be diplomatic. “Far be it for me to dictate the actions of a guildmaster in the affairs of her own guild—“

“Then don’t,” Anadriel replied icily, crossing her arms. “I am more than capable of handling anything Marion cares to throw at me. If he wants a media circus, fine. Let him have the spotlight. It will only make it more embarrassing later when I defeat him and leave him lying on the ground in a puddle of his own piss and vomit!”

“Dri, wait!” Stein called after her as she turned to leave. “Marion’s no fool. He purposely provoked you into this. He has to know what you are capable of. You’re part of the Pantheon, our major damage dealer, and if he’s making a play for the Pantheon itself at the Obelisk Cup in the next few weeks, you can bet he’s prepared to deal with you showing up now. I know you’re upset… but stop for a moment and think about this! He has to have something in mind… an ace in the hole that he’s just waiting to lay out.”

“Oh, I know all about his little ‘surprise’,” Dri replied with a smirk. “I may not be a genius strategist like you, bit I’m no fool either, Stein. I’ve taken precautions. And I’m more than ready to put that bastard knight in his place.” She grunted, kneeing her horse forward, back to her regiment. “It’s beyond time that someone did…”

Stein glanced sidelong at his wife, who merely sighed, shaking her head. He’d shared with her the recent conversation he’d had with Kyle earlier in the week, his thoughts about a prophecy given to him from a friend, a sorceress with Divination powers…

“I have a prophecy for you friend.” Kyle said.

“Is that why you wanted to meet?” the grizzled man asked.

Stein and Kyle sat in the Guardian Guild’s main chambers, walls adorned with animal skins from Stein’s great hunts. They sat on large, hand-crafted wooden chairs of heavy oak by a fire with large table behind them full of mead, wines, spirits, and a cornucopia of food. Stein sat dressed in a practical royal garb, as if ready for another hunt.

“I guess I might count that as important enough to interrupt my love-making to my wife.”

“You and Isiltari may get back to your love making quite soon, I assure you.” Kyle replied.

The older man chuckled, good-naturedly. “Fine then. Tell me this prophecy.”

The Judge seeks justice for past wrongs,
The One Who Vilifies seeks to destroy
Four gods whom rule these lands and throngs
Through his guile and his ploys
The Pawn he seeks to turn into his Queen
No warrior best him once they wed
Invincible, indefatigable, despite information gleaned
The gods’ houses shall run red
From hell itself, he shall find his Knight
It shall pin his greatest foe down.
No mercy for the Red Sage’s plight
The Judge will steal his crown
Lest the Willow, with his sword drawn
Make the converted Queen his pawn

Kyle and Stein had met several times in the Hinterlands as well and admired the others hunting prowess. They had quickly discovered their keen minds, their sharp wits, and their aptitude for hunting and had become brothers in arms and fast friends. Stein was the founder of the Guardians, and for as long as Kyle had known him, had been on the Pantheon as well. Kyle had always trusted Stein’s brilliant mind, and with this, it was no different. He had no qualms telling this prophecy, for he knew Stein’s heart was gold, and his loyalty and trust unwavering.

“This is troubling indeed. If the gods be us, we appear to be doomed.”

“The Pantheon?”

“Indeed.” Stein replied, his brow furrowed.

“And the Judge?” Kyle asked, already guessing the answer.

“Who else but Marion? He wears the Armor of Judgment.”

“It would make sense, sure. But that answer seems far too simple.” Kyle said, rubbing his hands together.

“I would agree as well. Heaven knows we ALL want Marion gone. It’d be convenient for this prophecy to be about him so granting further reason to vanquish him.”

“Yeah.” Kyle said, knowing all too well the threat the hulking man posed, “Don’t tell anyone else about this yet. We need to mull this over more before we jump to conclusions.”

“Indeed, wise words my friend.” Stein agreed, “though I think getting counsel from my ‘better half’ couldn’t hurt.”

“Very well. I’ll leave you to your love making then.” Kyle said, with a small sigh.

“Oh? You shan’t stay?” Stein asked, somewhat disappointed.

“No. I better go. I have more messages to deliver.” Kyle shrugged.

Stein gave him a rueful smirk. He knew only too well who and what was on his mind. “To Anadriel no doubt?”

“No doubt.” Kyle said with a half wince, half grin. No doubt he thought wearily, as he took his leave…

Watching the girl heading off to battle now, despite his warning to the contrary, he couldn’t help but think that despite her confidence, this confrontation was going to end badly. True, she is a member of the Pantheon, and truly a force to be reckoned with… but Marion is an unpredictable one. I haven’t been able to track ALL of his comings and goings, but lately he’s been moving all over the map, tackling some of the most difficult and dangerous areas in Axaellel. It can’t be a coincidence. And I doubt he’s doing anything as simple as boosting his levels and stats before the competition. I’m missing something… some valuable, important piece of the puzzle… the thing that links all these other pieces together.

“Beloved?” Isiltari prompted him, reaching out to squeeze his hand. Stein sighed.

“We gave her advice,” he said with a shrug. “And we gave her a warning. We’ve done all we can do. Whether or not she chooses to take our words to heart is up to her.”

The purple haired Night Elf nodded simply. “Indeed. If the girl falls in battle and perishes, it’s her own fault. Still… will you not try again to reach your friend?”

“I’ve left three messages for him already. He keeps moving around so much, first to the Hinterlands up north, now back to the Proving Grounds, of all places—and both dungeon sites are shielded from communications. I won’t be able to reach him until he leaves and comes back into the open.” He shrugged. “Still, I suppose leaving a fourth message can’t hurt…”

* * *

“The Proving Grounds? Really?” Leila said in surprise, as she and her new companion made their way through the city grounds. “A new character, starting from scratch, and she’s already about to attempt the Proving Grounds in less than a day? That’s amazing!”

“I know,” Serena said proudly, smiling with glee. “Master said this new class she’s taken allows her to channel her energies and life force into her attacks, letting her do massive damage even at such a low level. With him providing her backup, she was able to take out enough high level monsters to reach level fifteen in record time.”

“Huh, I’ll say,” Leila replied softly, shaking her head. “Grey used to think I was a prodigy… that I picked things up fast. I made it from level one to level fifteen in about a month when I first started out. But your friend just made me look like a mentally disabled child learning her ABC’s in comparison.”

“Hey, it’s not a contest, you know?” Serena said easily, giving the younger girl a gentle squeeze. They were starting to become fast friends, both bound to their Master, in love and service, and as such, bound together by a common goal. She honestly like the cute sexy brunette, but she also felt that the girl was hiding a lot of pain behind her shy smile. She’d tried a few times during the night to get her to open up, but she seemed reluctant to really share much about her past.

“Yeah,” Leila said after a moment, smirking again. “You’re right. Plus, she was a guild leader for, like, years and years. You don’t become master of your own guild without being one of the absolute best at what you do.” Walking along, she gestured to a small shop just across the way. “What about that one? Think they have the supplies we need?”

“Hmmm…” Serena thought, pondering. “I haven’t really spent that much time here before, but I’m pretty sure that place is new. I mean, REALLY new. I didn’t notice it on the way in from town…” Of course, I was a bit distracted, trying to track down Kyle at the time… She shrugged. “Well, only one way to find out, I suppose. Let’s check it out.”

Entering the shop, the girls found themselves in a room they hadn’t expected. Soft music played in the background… a strange, almost retro, midi tune that seemed almost familiar. A strangely cloaked man in a black leather coat with a purple kerchief covering the bottom half of his face clothes stood at the counter, polishing a silver goblet of some kind. He glanced up as they approached and chuckled, pushing back the hood, revealing brown hair and a long thin mustache.

“Oy! Welcome, strangers,” he said with a strange accent. “Got a fine selections of things on sale, strangers. Got som’ rare things on sale as well, strangers! What’ll it be?”

Serena and Leila glanced at one another for a moment, taken aback. This was obviously not a normal The Reality shop. “Um… hi,” Leila said, stepping forward. “We’re looking for some supplies. My colleagues and I are going to be heading to a dungeon cave shortly, and we expect to be facing a horde of undead. We’re looking for weapons and items specifically used to combat them.”

Kyle have given them both a fairly detailed idea of what they would be facing when they accompanied him back to the tomb of Gruenwald Icebane. The ferocious shade was only one of any number of undead creatures that haunted the tomb, and unlike his first visit, he knew he couldn’t count on the intervention of a friendly spirit to aid them this time around. The caves were difficult in the extreme, listed as an epic level adventure. They needed to be fully prepared for their journey if they were going to make it there and back in one piece.

The merchant chuckled again. “Is that all, stranger?” he asked, moving to the countertop, flipping a switch, causing it to slide back, revealing a large selection of weapons of various shapes and sizes, some they recognized, others unique and far different from anything encountered in the game thus far. “Got a nice selection here, stranger,” the merchant continued, picking up a strange wooden cross-shaped item marked with runes and covered in spikes. “This ’ere’s a boomerang, one favored by a certain vampire hunter of notable repute. I hear it works wonders. I also have a few more of his weapons of choice now that he’s, ah, um... ‘retired’. Heh heh heh.” He held up what appeared to be a simple leather whip. “Don’t let the design fool you. This weapons is effective against many kinds of undead, and it powers up to a much stronger, longer, form. A real bargain, strangers!”

“Um, thanks but no thanks,” Leila said, smirking in amusement. This guy was strange, but funny as well. “None of us are particularly adept at using foreign weapons, and in battle, you need to be comfortable with what you’re carrying. Maybe something a bit more traditional?”

“Traditional, eh, stranger?” the man replied, nodding softly. “Well then, ’ave a look at this!” He walked to the far wall, and flicked another switch, causing the wall panel to open, revealing an assortment of swords, axes, spears, knives, and other bladed weapons. “Over ’ere, stranger. Got som’thin’ that might interest you, stranger!”

“You know, I have a name,” Leila replied, rolling her eyes. “You don’t have to keep calling me ‘stranger’. Call me Leila.”

“Oh, of course, stranger,” the merchant said gleefully, removing a pair of long thin daggers from the display. “Now these daggers are quite special, stranger. Made of a special mythril and cold iron mixture, forged under the dim light during an eclipse, and blessed by holy monk from the Far East, these mystical blades react to the mere presence of undead, glowing a pale blue when they are within fifty feet. As for attacking, they do extra damage to any undead they strike, their positive energy disrupting the negative energy all undead exude.”

“Okay! That’s more like it,” Leila replied, handing him a small sack of gold.

“So, what do you have in the way of spears?” Serena asked, stepping forward to examine the weapons case. “Maybe a good quality sword—Honor’s going to need one. Oh, and holy water? That always comes in handy…”

* * *

“Marion! Thank the gods you’re back!” Igmus Faintheart cried as the leader of the Viridian Suns strode back into his main chambers. “Our scouts just returned with word—the Sylvan Order is on the march and headed this way.”

“Really?” Marion said in amusement, walking over to his desk, sitting down in his padded recliner. “About time. I was beginning to wonder if she would ever take the bait.” He frowned slightly, reaching down to adjust his seat, raising it slightly to his preferred height. “How many of her people did she bring with her?”

“Ah, um… I think… all of them?”

Marion laughed. “Hah hah… that girl never does anything halfway does she?” He grinned, drawing his hammers from their sheaths, placing them on the ground beside his chair, before leaning back fully. “This is even better than I’d hoped. I assume by now the entire Reality is abuzz with the news, wondering what the proud Lady Anadriel of the Sylvan Order might be up to, moving her entire army across the lands towards our humble little abode.”

Igmus swallowed, glancing around fearfully. “You don’t seem to be concerned that the strongest mage in the game is leading her entire guild here to crush us and stomp us into the ground? They outnumber us two to one!”

“Oh, you’re afraid? Big surprise there,” Marion replied mockingly. He grabbed his hammer, swinging it idly with one hand. “I told you before. I was counting on her responding this way! Believe me when I say I’ve been preparing for this showdown for weeks! We’re going to be going after the entire Pantheon in a few weeks, Igmus… the Big Four. If I can’t handle Anadriel Shalandearl backed up with a bunch of minor level peons, then I sure as hell won’t be able to handle her with Stein, East Graywind, and Kormak FUCKING Greensteel!”

Igmus nodded, briskly. He had a point. He and the others had trained and practiced more in the past few months than they had since first joining the Reality. And the work wasn’t just physical. They’d been given psychological profiles on all four members of the Pantheon, their strengths and weaknesses (such as there were—you didn’t get to become a Guildmaster, let alone a member of the Pantheon of Champions, if you had an easily exploitable weakness). Still, the fact that they WERE members of the Pantheon meant that in the previous competitions, the current members had battled their way through a massive number of incredibly powerful and skilled combatants just to qualify for the chance to face the previous members of the Pantheon, beating them to assume their spot at the top. Facing Anadriel Shalandearl just by herself was nothing to take lightly.

“I take it then that your latest venture to the Ganderhoff Isles was successful?” Igmus asked.

“Well… yes and no,” Marion admitted. “We found the next artifact, but it wasn’t the one I was looking for. Nevertheless, it’s another cog in the overall machine. I don’t really need to it to take care of the Sylvan’s Guildmaster.”

“Are you sure of that, Marion?” Igmus replied, hiding a smirk. “You shouldn’t underestimate her. After all, you underestimated that boy, Kyle Shadowchaser, and he humiliated you publically when he defeated you in that duel…”

Marion bristled. “Yes, well, that was different. The boy was a complete unknown. With Anadriel, I know precisely what I’m up against.” His expression hardened. “And anyway, Igmus, I seem to recall you not faring much better yourself when you faced him… threw you off a cliff, didn’t he?” The tall thin minion wisely chose to keep his mouth shut.

He paused, thinking. “Still… you may have a point. Better to be safe than sorry. I wasn’t planning on showing my hand quite so early, but in this case, it’s a moot point anyway. I’ve sent Vale to scout out the next probable site of a dragon artifact, so it’s only a matter of time before I have them all anyway. Plus, considering the opponent we’re about to face, that new trinket we just picked up might just come in handy after all.”

The main door opened just then, and a guard rushed into the room, breathless. “S… Sir M-mar… ion,” he panted, “the Sylvan Or… order… they’re here! They’re just… outside the gates…”

“Excellent!” he said with a smirk. “Summon Barena and the Lady Nora, and have them meet me out in the main foyer right away. We’ll all go out to greet our visitors together. And tell Barena to bring her new little bauble with her.” The guard nodded, and left, heading back out into the hallway. “Igmus, you gather the rest of the Suns and have them all on standby. I doubt they’ll be needed—once I defeat their leader, the rest of them should be so broken and disheartened that they’ll likely leave with no trouble. Again, better to be safe than sorry.”

“Of course, Sir,” Igmus replied with a salute. “I’ll tend to it right away.”

“Good man.” He knelt down, picking up his hammers and sliding them back into their twin sheaths along his back. “Oh, and one other thing,” Marion said idly, just as Igmus turned to leave, “I can tell you’ve been sitting in my chair again when I’m not here. I hate that. Do it again, and the buzzards will be feasting on your innards once I decapitate you and place your head on a spike outside the castle gates. Do you understand me?”

“Y-y-y-yessir!” Igmus replied, face pale and gaunt at the threat, nodding vigorously. “I understand. It will never happen again!”

“Yes, I know it won’t,” Marion murmured, pushing roughly past the man, heading to the main foyer.

* * *

“Honor? Is that really you?” Serena called out as the two dusty individuals emerged from the exit of the catacombs comprising the Proving Grounds. Laughing, she strode forth, clutching the equally happy blonde, hugging her tightly. “Oh my gods… I never… I didn’t…” she said, too overcome to finish the thought. Honor pulled back enough to give her friend a light kiss on the lips.

“Ah, Seri… you should know by now, you can’t keep a good girl down for long,” she said easily. “Of course, I had help getting back on my feet so quickly,” she replied, gesturing to Kyle.

“Not that you needed it much,” Kyle said with a grin. “Supporting you through the test was more akin to holding your purse while you went shopping—all I did was watch, and occasionally hand you a potion from my backpack to restore your strength.” He glanced at Serena and Leila. “And you two? We were supposed to meet back up in town once we finished here. Did something happen?”

“No, Master,” Leila said, stepping forward, her expression contrite. “Forgive us for being overeager… we just wanted to meet up with you again as soon as possible! And… uh, well, Serena really wanted to see her friend again.”

Serena finally let go of Honor, turning to face her Master, face slightly red. “Sorry, Master,” she said sheepishly. “We, um… didn’t technically disobey. You just said to wait for you until you were done. We finished making the preparations for the trip, and got everything you asked for and more! And since you didn’t order us to wait for in the city...”

“You thought you’d wait for us right outside the caverns,” Kyle replied with a chuckle. Far from being upset, he was actually happy about this unexpected turn of events. He’d worried that both girls becoming his slaves had crushed their will completely, making them merely a shell of their former selves. Unlike the entrancement spells, the enslavement incantation had left their memories and thoughts the same, merely readjusting their psyches, changing their life’s priorities into serving his will. The fact that they were still able to act and think independently when not following a specific command from him made Kyle feel much better about the situation.

Of course, he STILL planned on finding a way to free them from his control, but at least he knew they weren’t suffering under the yoke of their enslavement.

“So… You’re Leila, huh?” Honor asked, reaching out and taking the younger girl’s hand, shaking it briskly. We never met officially before, but I have seen you around a few times when I visited your boss back in my former life. Heh… in my ‘former life’,” she chuckled ruefully. “That still sounds weird. At least I’ve reached the stage where I can laugh about it a bit.”

“Um, yeah,” Leila said awkwardly, shaking her hand. “Um… glad yer, uh… doing better. You know, after being dead and all.”

“So, what next, fearless leader?” Honor asked Kyle. “Do we need to stop by the town or anywhere else before heading to this crypt of yours?”

Kyle pondered. Hmmm… I’ve been out of communications for a while now. I should probably take a moment and log off, check in with Ethan and give him an update on my progress, and see if he has any news for me. But really… I’m kind of anxious to get this done. This could be my one chance to expand my knowledge of the Dragontongue, and learn more about the Dragon Gods themselves, as well as freeing Leila and Serena. He nodded inwardly. That, more than anything else, decided it for him. I’ve let them endure having their free will stripped away long enough. Better to do this now, and free them sooner rather than later.

“I think we’re good,” he replied after a moment. He withdrew his teleport crystal from his pouch, fully charged and ready. “As long as you picked up that ‘something extra’ I asked you to get as a present for our hostess, we’re ready to head back to the great white north.”

“Yes, Master,” Serena nodded, patting her belt pouch lightly. “We’re all set.”

“All right then. Here we go!” Kyle exclaimed, using his crystal to send them all directly to Calypso’s cove.

* * *

Anadriel growled loudly, grinding her teeth in impatience. “Marion!” she yelled again. “Come out and face me! You can’t hide in your keep forever!” Just as she began to lose her patience, and considered whether or not her strongest spell could penetrate the castle’s mystic shields and reduce the building to rubble, the gates opened. A wall of green tunics stepped forth as the Viridian Sun guild came out to face them. Plymouth, her steed, whinnied softly, shaking her head, but a simple touch gentled her. She sat on her horse, impassive as more and more members of the rival guild came out, lining up across from her Sylvan Order, weapons ready but not yet drawn. Again, just as her patience reached its limit, the object of her ire finally stepped forth, accompanied by his council.

Marion strode forth, smirking, taking his time merely to annoy his opponent and push her even closer to insanity. Barena and Igmus accompanied him, striding forth silently, both secure in their part of the plan, but a bit nervous as to whether or not the enemy commander would take the bait. If the Sylvan Order decided to attack fully out as a unit, they would be crushed by their sheer numbers. Still, Marion seemed confident enough that his little ruse would provoke just the right reactions.

“Ho, and well met, Leader of the Sylvan Order!” he shouted loudly, stepping into the foreground. “An interesting way to get my attention. If you wanted a meeting, Lady Anadriel, all you had to do was send me an email.”

“Cut the crap, Marion!” Anadriel yelled back, sliding off Plymouth, striding forward, as her lieutenants dismounted and sprinted after her to catch up. “You know very well why I’m here! You’ve abducted my cousin, Nora Snowfallen. And I mean to have her back! NOW!” she growled.

“Nora? Nora Snowfallen?” Marion said, mockingly, as if trying to remember. “No…I don’t recall ‘kidnapping’ or ‘abducting’ someone by that name. Perhaps you’re mistaken.” He chuckled wickedly. “I’m certainly not holding anyone against their will.” He shrugged. “I think you’re simply confused. Perhaps the stress of being a mere girl trying to run such a large Guild has finally made you crack—“

“Enough!” Dri growled, clutching her staff, drawing on her mana. “If you won’t release her to me, I’ll take her back by force!”

“Now, now, Lady Anadriel,” Marion chided, shaking his finger at her. “Let’s not be hasty. If you choose to come after us all at once, we’ll of course, retaliate. You’ll probably win—you have the numbers advantage after all—but you’ll suffer heavy loses. Hundred, possibly thousands of your people will lose their lives… and I’m not talking simple little respawn after two hours here!” He withdrew his hammers, bringing them to bear. “Are you willing to risk that? Your precious guild ripped to shreds, just to beat me?”

Anadriel hesitated. He had a point. With her entire guild at her back, she could utterly devastate the Viridian Suns, wipe them out completely, and end Marion’s little reign of terror for good. But the cost to her own guild would be enormous. She would win the battle but ultimately lose the war.

“If you like, I propose an alternative,” Marion said during her moment of silence. “We fight to the quarter, teams of two. You and a lieutenant, and myself and one of my followers. If you can defeat me, your dear sweet Nora goes free. And if I defeat you, you step down from your spot on the Pantheon!”

A hush ran through the crowd at that proclamation. Marion was basically asking her to risk the keys to the kingdom on a bet. Granted, the elven sorceress had an obvious advantage… but Marion’s calm and arrogant swagger concerned her. Stein and Isiltari’s words came back to her… but she pushed them aside. “I accept your proposal, but on one condition—we fight to the death instead!” The crowd that had been silent moments before erupted into noise at this unexpected reversal. Marion looked positively poleaxed for a moment, before sighing dramatically.

“Are you SURE you want a fight to the death?” Marion asked, slowly, as if considering the consequences. “Even if it is just two on two, you are risking the life of yourself and one of your comrades.” He crossed his arms. “You’d better think about this carefully, my dear.”

“I have thought about it,” Anadriel yelled back. “I’m more than prepared to fight you. The question is… are YOU ready to fight ME?”

Marion sighed deeply. “Very well. I accept your terms. Choose your combatants.”

The hush of the gathered men and women was broken as a few hundred camera units appeared, signaling the appearance of The Reality Net’s media coverage of this high profile event. Several virtual windows opened as the familiar faces of Steve and Erin came into view, to announce and comment on the proceedings.

Anadriel sighed softly, turning back to face her people. She was confident in her abilities, but she still needed someone to protect her, to give her the precious time she needed to cast her spells. Before she could even ask, however, Rald, her friend and most trusted commander, stepped forward, bowing at the waist. “Lady Anadriel,” he said formally, “it would indeed by my honor to fight alongside you once again. I shall be your sword, and your shield, and together we shall triumph!” The Sylvan Order let out a loud cheer as she nodded simply.

“I have my champion,” Dri replied proudly, leveling her staff at Marion. “Now, pick your own.”

Marion turned back to his group, and gestured Barena forward. Dri winced, slightly. Barena was indeed a formidable opponent, particularly if she went into a rage. Hmm... I’ll need to take her out first, and early, before she does too much damage. She went through her list of spells mentally, preparing a strategy to do just that, when Marion, taking something from the savage, placing it around his left wrist, turned and pointed into the crowd instead.

“You there,” he said loudly, pointing to a seemingly random member of the Viridian Suns, wearing the trademark green tunic, his face covered in a hood. “Come to my side,” he commanded, “and reveal your face.” Walking over to the Sun’s Guildmaster, the soldier lifted “his” hood and revealed “his” face to the astonished crowd. Dri gaped in shock as her cousin drew her own staff, and turned to glare at her, her expression hard and emotionless.

“N-n-Nora?!?” she exclaimed in surprise. “No… it can’t be. Not you… anyone but you…”

“Yes, cousin,” Nora replied with a tight smirk, drawing her mana to her, preparing for battle. “Me. I’m quite flattered that you made the trip all the way out here to save me. Honored, even.” Her pretense of civility fell, and she snarled at her cousin, a look that caused the older woman to step back. “But as you can see, I don’t NEED your help. I’m quite comfortable as a member of the Viridian Suns now.” She opened her menu, sending the duel request, which popped up on Dri’s menu as well. “In fact, cousin, the only one here who needs saving right now, is YOU!”

* * *

“Ah, Willowfang, you have returned,” Calypso replied brightly in greeting as Kyle and his group stepped forward. “And with more friends in tow.” She stepped onto land, shedding her tail and bowed slightly to her visitors. “Greetings, all. My name is Calypso. I am the keeper of this cove, Kêr-Is, a place of healing and learning, of contentment and rest. I bid you all to make yourselves at home.” Indeed, the girls, including Honor, who had just recently visited, were struck with awe, looking over the beautiful décor, the natural crystalline gemlike structure of the cave.

“It’s good to see you again, as always,” Kyle replied, stepping forward to kiss the lovely orange haired mermaid—on the cheek, she noted with slight disappointment—“but we will not be staying long. My friends and I are preparing to venture on, into the crypt. There’s something inside that I need, and I need their help in order to reach it.”

“The crypt of Gruenwald Icebane,” Calypso replied, her expression startled, even though she’d known their destination beforehand. “A most interesting coincidence, Willow,” she murmured, turning away, back towards her pond, staring deep into the crystal clear waters. “I recently received another vision of events… a prophesy that concerns you and your quest.” She sighed softly as she felt him walk up behind her. “It is most fortuitous that you arrived when you did. Are you aware of what transpires now on the other side of this world?”

“Transpires? What do you mean?” Kyle asked, concerned. The other girls approached the waters as well, drawn in by the conversation.

“Behold,” Calypso intoned, waving a hand at the water’s surface. Immediately the scene changed, showing a large open field, with a black stone castle in the side of the foreground. Two large masses of people were gathered on each side, like two armies staring one another down… and as the picture grew clearer, Kyle realized that was exactly what he was seeing! The Sylvan Order and the Viridian Suns were facing off in some climatic confrontation… and there, in the center, stood Anadriel and Rald, facing off against Marion… and Nora?

“What… the hell… what’d going on?” Kyle asked as the image shimmered and faded again. “Calypso, tell me! What’s happening with Anadriel!”

“I can but give you the prophesy that I received,” Calypso replied sadly, closing her eyes, as she spoke the message that had been given to her:

The Judgement strikes, a fair maiden falls
The red Queen’s victory a hollow win
To the victor, or the fallen, your duty calls
A war hard fought before true battles begin.
With bold hammer strike, he rises high—
The Judge, atop his throne, shall sit
And topple those, whose time is nigh
Brought down from powers gained from the pit.
The Hero, too, shall fall by his hand
Unless Judgement’s might he alone can match
By means fair and foul, he must stand
And rend from the Judge, his captive catch.
Yet only through a broken vow, he may
Protect one and all, to win the day.

Kyle turned to glare at the beautiful mermaid. “Broken vow?” he grunted, angrily. “What are you trying to tell me, Calypso? That the only way to ‘win the day’ is to break my vow to protect Dri when she obviously needs me the most?” He shook his head. “I can’t do that. I have to go to her!”

“Then all is lost,” Calypso said calmly, returning to the water, her legs transforming back into a tail. “This prophesy… it is clear enough that even I can see it. ‘The Hero, too, shall fall by his hand, unless the Judgement’s might, he alone, can match’. And currently, my Willowfang, you cannot match him. He is protected by the might of the Dragon gods.”

“And so am I,” Kyle growled, turning to walk away.

“Indeed, you are,” Calypso called after him, her heart torn at having to play this role with him. She wanted to be the one to console him, to comfort him, to bring him good news, not cause him pain. “But compared to him, you are a novice. Your knowledge of their power is incomplete. Indeed, your reason for coming here was to increase that knowledge, to better learn how to wield the powers you have inherited. There is much that you do not yet know, Willow... more that you must yet learn.”

“She’s right, Kyle,” Honor said, taking his arm gently. “Listen to her. I know you’re strong. Hell, I’ve fought right beside you, so I know more than anyone what you can do. But we really don’t know what Marion can do. I mean, if he is really powerful enough to take down Anadriel Shalandearl in a fair fight—“

“That’s just it,” Kyle growled in frustration. “He doesn’t play fair! He’ll use every dirty trick in his arsenal to win. It’s what he does!” His vision began to swim, and he felt his hackles raising. He was so angry at the situation that his beast side was starting to emerge. “He’ll cheat somehow, some way… he’ll kill her and do it out of spite! And if he does… if he kills Dri… then it will be MY FAULT for not stopping him!”

“Master, please!” Leila spoke then, moving to stand in front of him, her hands out to the side. “Forgive me, Master. I know you want to go to your friend… I know it is your will… but… but please! Don’t go!” Her eyes were bright with unshed tears. “The man is dangerous. There is more going on here than just a simple duel. And after everything you’d done to stop him, he wants your head. He even went so far as to hire ME to kill you!” She shuddered slightly at the thought, swallowing back the bile in her throat at the very thought of hurrying her beloved Kyle. “Please, Master… just think about this—“

“NO!” Kyle snarled, as his nails lengthened and thickened into claws. “Get out of my way!” he bellowed, causing the young girl to scamper back away from his presence. “I am DONE talking about this! I made a VOW! I gave her my word—“

“And didn’t you do the same with both of them?” Honor cut in, challenging him. She stared at him, eye to eye, even as her own lip trembled. “Didn’t you just tell me before we came here that you were done waiting to free Serena and Leila from your control? You told me you’d made a vow… a promise… that today was the last day they would have to pay for your mistake. That they shouldn’t have to wait another day, another minute, another second, for you to help them.” She took a step back, shaking her head. “I get that you’re loyal, Kyle. I understand. And I know you try your damnedest to do what is right, no matter what it costs you. But I also know a little bit about what Dri did to you… how she hurt you, left you, and abandoned you when you needed her! Is that the kind of person you are willing to sacrifice yourself to help? Is your sense of honor so strong that you would neglect those of us fucking CARE about you to run off and help a selfish little bitch that has proved, time and time again, that she doesn’t care about you?”

Kyle sighed, shrinking back down to normal, the wind taken from his sails. He closed his eyes, thinking, pondering, trying to reconcile his feelings. Honor was right… they were ALL right. He was doing this out of pride, and a hopeless sense of trying to cling to a past he’d shared with Dri all those years ago. She’d moved on… he never had. And now she was in trouble, in real danger. Should he go to her? Did he really owe her that? Or was he simply punishing himself, picking at an old wound, no matter how painful, because he couldn’t bear to let her go, and truly move on with his life?

When will enough be enough, Dri? he asked himself sadly. Even now, after all these years, you’re still in my head, in my heart… I wanted to be your everything… but no matter what, I just couldn’t measure up. And now, you need me… really need me… but will saving you this time even change anything? Can sacrificing myself for you, again, hold any more meaning than the last time? The last several times? Do I even matter to you at all? Or… was I just a means to an end? He sighed softly, shaking his head sadly. In the end, it really didn’t matter. He felt the way he felt for her, and she felt the way she did for him. Nothing had changed. It was all a question of what he would do now.

Keep my promise to Dri… or keep my promise to Serena and Leila, he mused silently. Finally, deciding, he opened his eyes. He’d made his choice. He was, after all, a man of his word. It was all he had, all he was, and for good or for ill, he was going to stand by it.