The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Reality

by asianpersuasion & J. Darksong

Anadriel

Rald sat across the room from Kyle in the Sylvan Order’s upper chambers. Rald stared him down with utter contempt. Kyle bemusedly looked at the elven man. Kyle was dwarfed by the man by an entire character size. He was a medium-build character, and Rald was large. Yet, despite the physical prowess Rald exhibited, Kyle held all the power here. He was in control and Rald knew it.

“So Rald. I like the hair.” Kyle said with a smirk. He had never really cared for the man, though Kyle had also never doubted his devoutness to the Sylvan Order.

“Shut up.” Rald spat, “Lady Anadriel. What did you do to her? Some of that mind-bending magic to make her the way she is?”

“The way she is?” Kyle asked playing coy.

“Don’t you play dumb!” Rald bellowed, standing up and slamming his palms onto the table by which they sat. “Lady Anadriel was a strong, powerful, independent leader! Now look at her! She’s a shell of her former self, lying on her bed, secretly crying out for the likes of some soloing brigand! A commoner!”

Kyle relaxed back in his chair, leaning backward so the chair rested against the wall. He clasped his hands behind his head and put his feet up on the table. “You’re funny Rald. You know that?” Rald just stared at him, his eyes willing Kyle to burn into nothingness. “I don’t get you really. Didn’t you see that duel? She lost. She got obliterated.”

“Marion! He played—”

“Played it smart.” Kyle replied, “He was strategic. He was wise. You and she, on the other hand, were like a pair of bulls charging at a master matador. You had lost before you even began.”

Rald’s gaze grew even more bitter. “Oh? And where were you, then?” He asked.

Kyle sat up, a frown on his face, “What did you say?”

“I asked. Where. Were. You? I was fighting by Lady Anadriel’s side. I was with her. Protecting her as best as I could. Where were you? Gallivanting through the fields with those three whores at your side?”

Kyle punched Rald across the face. So fast that Rald didn’t even have a time to react. A drop of blood splashed on the table from Rald’s broken nose. “Don’t call them whores.”

In a rush the powerful man leaped at Kyle in a full out tackle but Kyle ducked out of the way at the last second, gracefully avoiding the attack. Rald crashed into the wall behind Kyle, who nimbly hopped, then slid over the table to create some distance between them.

The table might be overkill. This guy, in this state, is too easy. Still…can’t be too careful now, can I?

“Bull and a matador.” He said with a chuckle. Rald picked himself up off the ground and wiped the blood from underneath his nose, wincing at the pain of his broken face. “I’ve protected Anadriel from the very beginning Rald,” he added, as the huge man prepared to charge again. “Even before you.”

“Impossible.” Rald scoffed, pausing. “I’ve been by her side since the very beginning. Ever since she joined our guild. We passed the Proving Grounds together!”

“Yeah. You did. But I was there beforehand. I was the little runt Juggernaut who took every hit for her.”

“WHAT? That was YOU? That little worthless runt?” Rald asked with a laugh more out of surprise than anything else. “I barely remember anything about him, except that he was a shriveling mess.”

“You’re not wrong.” Kyle said pensively, “But I made a vow that day. Anadriel and I… we met really early. Back when we were level 3. I protected her right from the start. When we got to the Proving Grounds she wanted to ditch me for you guys. I refused. I didn’t let her. And I died so that she would pass. So that SHE wouldn’t die.”

“The Criosphynx. Its breath attack. You took that blow?” Rald’s face of surprise only continued.

“Remember when she was level 23?” Kyle continued on, grimly. “That Hell Hound that almost had her? Mysteriously had a limp at the last second which caused it to trip? Me. Neurotoxin dart from the Ganerhoff Jungles that disintegrated as soon as it hit it’s target.” He sighed heavily, closing his eyes, recalling the past. “Remember the Harpy squadron? Where you miraculously found a teleport crystal just lying there? Me again. Remember when she was fighting for the title of Captain? That assassination plot that never materialized? All members found beaten, dead, or not found at all? Me. Remember when Julian Bearstomper and she were competing for power? Remember how all of the assassination attempts were mysteriously foiled? The poison was missing? The assassin was caught red handed? All those little trails of evidence and clues that led you to find the culprits? Me.”

“Where’s your proof?” Rald asked incredulous.

“Rald. I literally just explained to you every attempt on Anadriel’s life, every stumbling block in her path to get where she is. No one even knows about the Hell Hound. That was just you and her, trying to venture into The Hinterlands but ending up in the Infernal Kitchen instead cuz you took a wrong turn at the Everglades highway.”

“How in hell did you—?” Rald asked pointing a finger directly at his face.

“Don’t play dumb Rald.” Kyle said with a smirk. “You might’ve shielded her a couple times. But me? I’ve been her guardian angel. Since day one.”

Rald sat there in silence for a few seconds, defeated. He eventually lifted his head and looked Kyle right in the eye. “If you’ve been protecting her.” Rald said, “What about the duel?”

Kyle’s hands clenched tightly. “Rald. You know it. I know it. That duel wasn’t even a duel. It was a perfectly executed move designed for complete and utter humiliation. It was a massacre. I warned Stein. I warned Dri. Stein tried to warn her! But she wouldn’t listen. As soon as she rushed in, as soon as she accepted the duel and committed herself, it was too late.” His eyes narrowed. “Oh, and nice advising, by the way.”

Rald turned dejectedly once again running his hands through his hair. “But… just look at her now. A sobbing mess.”

“So, what? You’re saying she’s weak now?” Kyle snapped, challenge in his voice.

“Isn’t it obvious? What do YOU think she is?!” Rald cried out in exasperation, throwing up his hands.

“Loved.” Kyle replied, softly, but resolutely. “Or at least, she will be. For the very first time in her life, Anadriel’s opened her heart just enough to let love in. That’s who she is. Loved. And it takes an immensely strong person to realize and admit that they need help, that they have limits. Anadriel’d convinced herself her entire life that she can do it all alone. No one can. I see that now. It’s impossible to live life all by yourself, it’s impossible to play this game and win alone. It’s impossible. But she never believed it. She believed she was invincible.” He sighed softly to himself, shaking his head ruefully. Despite himself, he had to give the crazy old codger credit where it was due. If not for him, Kyle himself would have never come to understand this same undeniable truth.

“The truly strong know their limits, Rald,” he continued, “when to fight and when to retreat. The strong know they’re not invincible, and fight every second like they’re dying, like it could be their last. They know, they admit, and they use that to their advantage. She’s finally admitted she’s not invincible. She’s finally admitted she has limits. She’s the strongest she’s ever been.”

“You really believe that?” Rald asked.

“Yeah.” Kyle said, “I do.”

* * *

Serena, Honor, and Leila were standing in Reus Polten’s vast library and archive known as The Athenaeum. Reus Polten was the second biggest city in Axaellel situated on the coast and a major center of trade. Players were able to pay small fees to sail the seas with NPC sailors and be attacked by pirates or sea monsters while searching for treasure. There was an underwater kingdom of merpeople beneath the waves known as Yona which you could explore as well. A select few players had chosen to adopt a merperson as their race, but the limitations were pretty stark as the connection to water and seawater specifically was essential for survival. They were only able to survive on land for a day or two without perishing. The Athenaeum was the absolutely best place for finding information and many adventurers could be found browsing the stacks. The three women were gathering a lot of attention for their scantily clad appearances. A couple men had made passes at them, but they had just told them to beat it.

Should we really be wearing these things? Honor thought to herself. But then she remembered Kyle’s face when he saw the outfit, and concluded that, yeah, it was worth it. She laughed out loud as she browsed through a book on dragons. “I’m such a tease.” She said.

Serena and Leila looked over at her and then laughed.

“I was thinking the same thing.” Serena said as she browsed through a book on old dragon folklore.

“Me too.” Leila chimed in. Her book was on identifying different dragon types.

“About what?” Honor asked shutting the book, it wasn’t very useful. She had been reading about Ice Drakes for long enough.

“That these are the sluttiest outfits ever.” Leila said.

“But we’re totally gonna wear them. Because it drives Kyle nuts and we like that.” Serena added with a giggle.

“Yeah, his face when that weird guy pulled out your outfit Serena.” Leila said giggling as well, “I thought he was going to grab you right there and make you put it on and then rip it off of you! If you know what I mean.”

“Yeah.” Serena said with a laugh, “I kinda wish he had. He hasn’t really done anything with us yet.”

“Yeah.” Leila said biting her lip, “I kinda wanna just jump his bones.”

“We could totally seduce him in these things.” Serena suggested.

“Together?” Leila asked.

“Why not? I don’t mind sharing.”

Do I? Honor thought to herself. Did she mind sharing? The two girls obviously didn’t, and truth be told, a part of her didn’t either. But the other part of her really didn’t want to share. And Anadriel? Share Kyle with Anadriel? That bitch? No way. Kyle deserved way better than that.

Damn. I do mind. I really do. Honor said, But I can’t ask him to forsake everyone else just for me. That’d be the most selfish thing I could possibly do. It would kill Leila, hurt Serena to the core. Drive Kyle up the wall. No. I can’t do that. But… I can’t lose him either. I…love him? I love him don’t I? And I can’t lose him. It would kill me too. Does that mean? I guess…

She thought silently to herself for awhile. I guess that means I only have one other solution.

* * *

Marion sat at his desk for several minutes steadfastly ignoring the ringing tone of the mirror on his desk. He’d known the chat request was coming, and had recognized the caller even before glancing at the ID. The mirror continued to pulse, alerting him to an incoming call, and despite that it had been pinging for more than thirteen minutes, the caller had yet to give up and disconnect. Well, he always was a stubborn one, Marion grumbled, unable to stand it any longer, reaching over to finally answer the call. The annoying face of the Kormak Greensteel stared back at him, calm and composed as always.

“Well, well, well,” Marion said with barely contained contempt. “The great and powerful Kormak Greensteel, leader of the Paladins of the Red Sage, and head of the Pantheon!” He bowed mockingly at the waist. “I must be truly blessed for you to honor me with your direct attention instead of addressing me through one of your lackeys or assistants.”

“Cut the crap, Marion,” Kormak replied sharply. “You know well enough why I’ve called you.”

“Actually, no, I don’t,” Marion replied coldly, sitting down at his desk. “I could have sworn the last time we talked that I said, quite specifically and directly, that I never wanted to speak to you again, ever, and that we had nothing to say to each other.” He crossed his arms at his chest. “Perhaps you’re so old and senile now that you forgot that?”

Kormak shook his head. “Must you always be so antagonistic?” he grumbled. “It’s been fifteen years now. Its ancient history. Besides, we’re family. Surely you’re not going to hold onto this grudge of yours forever!”

“No, dear brother,” Marion said with a growl, “only as long as it takes to wrench your title away from you, and destroy everything in this life that you hold dear—just as you did to me!”

Kormak’s cool demeanor broke for a moment, showing his anguish, and his guilt. He was only too aware of what Marion referred to, a mistake in their past, a seemingly insignificant indiscretion that had caused such a huge rift between them. It was, entirely, his fault. And yet… his pride wouldn’t let him admit it, that the blame rested entirely on his shoulders. “Look, I know you had feelings for Elizabeth,” Kormak began, an apology he’d made countless times before, “that she was ‘special’ to you…. But for the last time I didn’t seduce her! She came on to me! She snuck into my bedroom that night—“

“Because we’re fucking TWINS, you asshole!” Marion all but screamed back. “She was looking for me! ME! Didn’t you find it strange that some girl you’d never even met before slid into bed with you?” He growled, glaring back at him. “And didn’t it FUCKING occur to you to stop for a minute, or get some kind of explanation instead of rolling her over and plowing her!?!”

Kormak sighed heavily. He had a point. He’d explained at the time, that he’d had a late night partying the night of his birthday, and had practically stumbled back home and into bed, more than a little drunk. When the beautiful girl had slid naked into bed with him, he hadn’t been thinking about the consequences—he hadn’t been thinking at all. It had seemed like a dream, and afterwards, waking up the next day, finding her actually there, lying beside him, he’d naturally confronted her about what was going on.

Things had gone from bad to worse. Elizabeth and his brother had been dating for more than six months, though they’d resisted carnal relations up to that point. That night had been Elizabeth’s idea of a surprise birthday present, giving of herself to her boyfriend for the very first time. Except, Marion had had a conference that week, and hadn’t made it back home in time, and she’d ended up sleeping with the wrong brother. Ever the ‘honorable’ and ‘truthful’ brother, he’d told Marion straight up when he’d arrived exactly what had happened, confessing everything. It was, after all, an honest mistake.

Marion, however, hadn’t seen it that way.

“I already explained what happened,” Kormak replied in a weary tone. “It was no one’s fault! It was just a mistake, something that happened. If I could go back in time and undo it, I would! I certainly hadn’t meant to hurt you! But I am TRYING to make things right, trying to keep things civil between us. I’m always the one reaching out to you, not the other way around. Yet, all you do is shut me out!”

“Huh,” Marion scoffed. “As if mere words could make up for make up for ruining my life! You tore Elizabeth and I apart—“

“Now hold on!” Kormak growled, eyes flashing in righteous anger. “I may have my faults, brother, but do NOT try and blame me for Elizabeth leaving you! She was trying to do something special for you, something nice. Yes, she made a mistake… but that was no reason to treat her like a pariah! The reason she left you was because you treated her like a slut and a whore after that day!”

“SHE FUCKING SLEPT WITH ANOTHER MAN!” Marion roared, slamming a fist down hard against the table. “Color it any way you want, she fucked another man besides ME!” He panted, flushed, his anger so fresh even after all these years that he could hardly stand it. Elizabeth had been more than just a simple crush, or a girlfriend. They’d been serious from the start, and he had in fact been planning to propose to her the following week. And yet, honest mistake or not, in his eyes, her dalliance with his brother was the ultimate betrayal.

Marion had always, always hated his older brother. Andrew, the good son, the perfect student, the popular guy, the B.M.O.C. that everyone wanted to know and hang around with. Andrew, who was always so suave, so polished, that he could have any girl he wanted. Andrew, who’d come to the Reality and not only proved to be a natural, had gone on to become a legend, and form a Pantheon of the most powerful and influential individuals in the entire virtual realm. It was like he was king of his own little kingdom.

Speaking of which… “Let’s cut to the chase already and get to the REAL reason for your call,” Marion stated, calming back down again. “You were calling to warn me off about going after the head of the Sylvan Order again, weren’t you? Well, Lord Greensteel,” he replied, voice heavy with mockery, “you need not worry about the Lady Shalandearl. I got precisely what I needed from our confrontation. I have no need to go after her again.” He chuckled darkly. “Not that there’s much left to go after. From what I hear, the poor delicate thing has spent all of her time since our duel locked inside her private chambers, sobbing like a little ten year old girl!”

Kormak scowled. “You’d do well to take the matter a bit more seriously,” he warned him. “This last bit of chaos is just the latest batch of problems you’ve caused lately.” He sighed heavily. “You certainly haven’t made any friends among the community. The Powers That Be are all clamoring for an excuse to go after you. I’ve shielded you as much as I can—“

“And who asked you for your protection?” Marion shot back, incensed. “I certainly never did! I neither want nor need ANYTHING from you… except your position in the Pantheon,” he added with a smirk. He sat back in his chair, relax and reclining once more. “Let them come for me if they will. I’m ready for anything they throw at me, as I demonstrated earlier. Let loose the dogs of war if you want! I have plenty of kennels ready to lock ’em down in!” He disconnected the call, chuckling idly. And lastly, dear brother, he replied, picking up a goblet of wine, taking a long deep drink, you’re not the only one with friends in high places…

* * *

Walking down the long hallways of the Sylvan Order, Kyle reminisced about his past. Specifically, his past with Dri. He thought idly as he walked if he himself wasn’t at least in part, responsible for how things had turned out between them. He’d let her treat him like a doormat, after all. And she’d walked all over him, from nearly the moment they’d met, using him as protection, as a guide, as a shield, as her ticket to a better life. He remembered only too well the incident at the Proving Grounds all those years ago, when she’d basically told him that she was casting him aside, that she’d ‘found someone better’ and was done travelling with him… basically done with him, period. And then, she’d turned and walked away.

He had rejoined her, he reminisced—the first time he’d actually stood up to her—promising her, demanded the right to protect her, and he had accomplished his goal. Anadriel had never, ever been defeated after that day. She had never lost a duel, she had never been close to death. Never. He had ensured it. Kyle thought back to the time where he had made that oath, he had told her, as he held her hand just after their crazy fight on level eight where they had partnered together to take out a large Water Elemental and Anadriel had been close to death, that he would never let her die on his watch. He had vowed to her.

And I’m a fucking man of my word. He thought. Which is why when I enter that room, I’ll be devastated. Because I fell in love with the girl who doesn’t want to be loved at all. And I tried my best to pry my way in. Every way possible. Because I’m just a lost puppy. A little werewolf pup who can’t get past that she’s the one. Well now. She got it. She got what she deserved. And here I am to lick her wounds for her. Fucking promises. I really have to stop making them.

He laughed at the last thoughts. He would still make promises. He knew it. And he loved Anadriel. He knew he did. He always had. Always would. He approached the door to her room and he nodded to the guard.

“Kyle Shadowchaser?” the guard asked.

“Yeah. Can I see her?”

“Of course.” The guard said with a frown on his face.

“How’s she doing?”

“Not well sir.” the guard said glumly, “She’s taking the loss pretty hard.” He shook his head. “I don’t know what you could do to help her… but, well, sir… anything would be an improvement.”

“Alright. Thanks.” He said, “Give us some privacy, as much as you can.”

“Yes sir.” The guard replied.

Kyle opened the door and peered inside. Anadriel was sitting at a desk staring at a blank desk as if for the first time. It probably was the first time. Anadriel was always thinking about the next move, the next big thing. Where to go, who to kill, what to get. She made plans for her plans. But now, the desk was empty. She hadn’t noticed him come in. There were torn up and crumpled papers in a wastebasket nearby and he noticed that there were several objects in the room that had been magically repaired very recently. There was a broken vase on the floor in the corner with wilting flowers amongst the shattered pieces.

Anadriel never cries. She’s never cried ever. But right now? She needs to.

“Hey.” Kyle said as he entered the room, his voice soft and understanding.

She turned slowly, mechanically, her face blank as if nothing was wrong. “What do you want? How can I help you?” Her voice was curt and cold.

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” She said abruptly.

“I just came to visit.”

“Come to warn me about a new danger on my life?” she cut in with just the slightest bit of heat.

“No.” He replied sadly.

“Came to say I told you so?”

“No.”

“What the hell are you here for?!?” Anadriel cried out in a sudden outburst.

He winced, ignoring her anger. ”I came here for you.”

“You came here for me? What, to use mind control magic on me? To make me a mindless, ungrateful puppet?! Like Marion did to… to... N-nora?” Her blank expression cracked slightly with that name.

“Dri. Come on.” Kyle coaxed her. “You know I wouldn’t do that.” Except I did already. To satisfy my wolf drive. Some saint I am. A liar and a rapist. Kyle thought. Gotta focus. Gotta focus. She’s really, really hurt if she’s lashing out like this.

“Don’t Dri me.” She spat. “You think you know it all don’t you?! Always here to warn me! Always here! Always right there in the nick of time with the knowledge I need! You think I need your help!? I’ve built this thing from the ground up! The Sylvan Order was a mess before I came in! A bloody mess! And look at it now. Shines like the sun! The bloody fucking sun! What the hell do you know!?”

“Dri...”

“DON’T DRI ME! I DO NOT NEED YOUR BLOODY HELP! I AM 100%, no, 1000% FINE! ALRIGHT!? SO GET THE HELL OUT! I DON’T NEED YOUR HELP!”

“Dri… please…” He said, a tear was beginning to form on his left eye. He willed it away “I just want to talk. That’s all. Is that so hard?”

“What the hell is there to even talk about?” she said blandly, the fight going out of her again. “You saw the news! I’m a failure! A goddamn bloody failure! I was humiliated on international news for everyone to see!” Pain turned to despair, and she hung her head. “And I killed the only person in my life that ever cared for me! The only one! The only one! I always told myself, Nora. She’s my hope. She’s the one that can do things alright. She’s not a heartless bitch like me. She’s what the world needs. I said I’d protect her and I killed her just to save my own skin!”

She looked at him, firing burning in her eyes. She was dying inside. He could tell.

“You can’t beat yourself up Dri. If you kill yourself. If you beat the hell out yourself in this room. You’ll never save her.”

“Don’t you think I already know that!? Don’t you think I’ve considered that!? But I can’t fucking do it! Alright?” Tears were streaming freely now. “I can’t! I JUST FUCKING CAN’T!” She screamed in rage imbued with powerful magic that caused all the glass in the room and all of the vases to shatter. Kyle winced, standing there silently as she sobbed, anger and pain warring with each other. “There! Are you happy? Are you satisfied, Kyle? You were right.” Anadriel said, looking at him with disdain.

“Right?” he asked gently.

“About not going. You and Stein were fucking right! I admitted it. Now you can leave.”

“I don’t want to.” He replied, “I told you. I came here for you.”

“What the hell does that even mean?” she asked, turning to stare at him.

“You can talk with someone for years, every day, and they beat you down. But if you love them it doesn’t matter. Still, it won’t mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, having them scream and cuss at you. Then at least you get the real them. Connections are made with the heart, not the tongue. This is the first time I’ve seen the real you Dri. And I loved you before. And I still love you now.”

He sighed softly. “Don’t get me wrong. I hate you. I hate the way you talk to me. I hate that you threw yourself into a battle headfirst without even thinking about the fact that you already lost. I hate the fact that you run this guild in a vice grip but never truly get a break. I hate that power goes to your head and corrupts you to be an arrogant bitch. I hate that you think you have to be completely independent. If you depend on people…I’ve realized, it means you know your limits. That’s wisdom not weakness. You found your limit. I found some of mine. And now I know you way more than I ever have. And I still love you. Despite everything. Despite the fact that I know you even more. I still do. Really. But you never let me love you. Never have and maybe you never will. But right now… I gotta tell you this thing even if it kills me because I think it’s the one shot you’ve got at coming back from this whole thing.”

He paused, taking a deep breath, and looked her straight in the eye. Her anger had faded, but her expression said nothing. He pressed on anyway. “We have to let the people who actually love us, the people who really matter, love us. I was blinded by my own pursuits, things that don’t even matter, while all that time Honor, Serena, Leila, and Calypso, they were all there to help me pick up the pieces. Because they love and care for me. They waited for me in my anguish. They heard me out. All this time I was trying to save the world, trying to save you. Trying to save Nora. Be the hero for everyone. But I can’t. I have limits and I need help. I need people who love me and to love those people back. And so do you. It’s time to put an end to this. It’s time for you to let yourself be loved. Or I don’t know where you’ll end up.”

He looked at her. His speech finished. She said nothing. Showing no reaction to his speech whatsoever. He waited for a tense moment and then sighed wearily.

“Alright.” Kyle said, turning to leave.

“No. Wait. Don’t go.” She whispered. Kyle continued on, pretending not to hear. “DON’T GO!” she repeated louder. He stopped as he felt arms wrapped around his chest and a face buried into his back. Wet tears touched his back and he heard her begin to sob. He was shocked, surprised, but he turned around slowly, giving her a strong and warm hug as she just cried on his shoulder.

* * *

“So, Leila,” Serena said after a moment, causing the brunette to glance over at her. “I’ve been wondering for a while now, and I kept meaning to ask before…”

“Hmm? What is it, Serena?” the young assassin asked.

“That day we first met,” she continued, blushing lightly, “um… in Master’s bedroom? When I came in through the window, you had him down on the floor, pinned, ready to slit his throat.” Leila blanched, going pale at the memory. “No, no, don’t be upset,” Serena continued hurriedly, taking the girl’s hand, squeezing it gently. “It’s like Master said. It’s in the past. He doesn’t blame you for that any more than I do.” She sighed, nodding as Leila gave her a wan smile. “My question was about how you managed to subdue him. Master Kyle is no push over. He’s really good. How did you manage to take him down that way? And… what was that strange hold you had him locked in?”

“Ooohh, yeah… that,” Leila said, giggling nervously. She glanced over at Honor, who merely sat quietly on the corner, apparently deep in thought. She sighed. “I guess it’s not really a secret or anything. Master’s already met Honor in real life. And we’re all on the same team, right?” Serena nodded. “Well… my real name is Katherine Gracie. Kathy for short. If the name’s not a complete giveaway, I’m not surprised. These days, the entire world revolves around The Reality. Everything is about making your avatar’s better, stronger, more powerful. And making your physical form stronger as well was pretty much just an off-shoot from that.”

She closed her eyes, running her fingers through the ends of her long hair, twirling a piece around her index finger. “Back in the days… probably back in JD’s time, anyway, there was this thing called the UFC—the Ultimate Fighting Championship. It was kind of like fighting a duel to quarter here in The Reality, only in real life. They basically fought without weapons, fist to fist, until your opponent passed out, gave up, or was physically unable to continue. It was pretty graphic, from what I hear. But like most combat sports, it drew in people from all walks of life, each seeking to prove themselves to be the best of the best. Well, one of those fighters was my great grandfather. His grandfather, Helio Gracie, invented his own fighting style, Gracie Jiu-jitsu, a combination of karate strikes, judo throws, akido joint locks, and simple yet effective Greco wrestling moves. Its purpose was simple: to be able to wear down, beat down, or disable any opponent you came across, no matter what style of martial arts they practiced.”

She opened her eyes, sighing softly. “It was amazingly effective. My great grandpa went on to take the championship four years in a row before he retired. And the family went on to form a school, teaching the martial art to others as well.” She smiled slightly. “If you think about it, it’s actually kind of cool, having that as part of a family legacy.” Her smile faded. “But, well, nothing lasts forever, you know. Times changed. People’s interests changed. Martial arts was no longer the ‘it’ thing, and the fighting style returned to being mostly a family legacy again. I was about six when my parents died in a car crash, and I went to live with my Uncle Kevin, who still practiced the art. He taught it to me, and I actually got pretty good at it. And later, when I came here to The Reality, when East Greywind took me in and started training me, he asked me if I had any fighting experience at all. I put on a demonstration for him, and impressed the hell out of him.” She shrugged. “He developed my entire training program around my skill in grappling, a very potent and effective skill that was surprisingly overlooked in the game.”

Serena nodded in understanding. “I can kind of see the point. For a regular class skill, it’s not immediately useful. You wouldn’t try and grapple with a Dire Bear, or a Minotaur—not unless you were crazy, or had the strength of a goliath! But against regular combat against another person…”

“You’d have a very powerful weapon in your corner,” Leila agreed, nodding. “Especially if you look like me, a thin, young, helpless, sweet-faced little girl,” she added, grinning wickedly. “You have no idea how many fully armed opponents I took down in training in less than three seconds simply because they underestimated me.”

Serena chuckled. “Well, sweetie, having seen you in action more than once, I’ll definitely never underestimate you, that’s for sure!”

The quiet moment of comradery was broke, however, as a familiar high pitched voice yelled out from across the otherwise quiet library: “WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN ALL THE DRAGON LITERATURE HAS ALREADY BEEN CHECKED OUT?!?” Torn from her introspection, Honor raised her head. Blinking in surprise, she glanced at the other girls sitting across from her, having likewise heard the outburst. Leila seemed confused, but Serena’s expression showed anger and recognition of the speaker, giving Honor all the confirmation she needed.

It’s her. Vale Stormsinger, Honor thought grimly, reaching for the blade that was no longer sheathed along her back. Goddamn no-kill zones, she grumbled inwardly, wishing for the first time that she was still a burglar, and that she could have found some way to sneak her weapons into the library. If she’s here, and asking about dragon literature, then she’s sure as hell doing recon for Marion! And as much as I want payback for her part in my death, we need to know what she knows.

“I’m going to rip her to pieces with my bare hands,” Serena growled, her eyes starting to glow, her weretiger blood making its presence felt.

“Easy, Rini,” Honor cautioned, placing a calming hand on the girl’s arm. “I feel the same way as you do. But think about this. We have to play this smart. Marion’s already a step ahead of us. If we can take down his right hand henchwoman and bring her intact back to Kyle, he can use his Dragonspeak to get her to spill her secrets.”

“Wait, back up a second,” Leila cut in, frowning. ”Did I miss something here? Who are you talking about?”

“Vale Stormsinger,” Serena replied curtly, gesturing back towards the main desk several rows back and to the left. “Marion’s chief lieutenant and henchgirl extraordinaire. We’d know that screech of hers anywhere. She was the one responsible for poisoning Honor, and for leaving me to take the fall for her death.” A growl issued forth between clenched teeth as she fought against her own inner rage. Remember Master, she told herself. Master is what is important. He needs her alive and intact. He would want us to take her alive. Slowly, the red haze faded.

“Ah. Got it,” Leila replied pulling a small silver sphere from her pouch. “We’re all on the same page then. Catch psycho girl and bring her back so Master can make her squeal.” She pressed a small indention on the sphere and placed it back in her pouch, then stood up. “Okay. Let’s go say hi.”

“Wait, what was that you just put back in your pouch?” Honor asked, curious.

“Oh, just a little something extra I picked up back in Vallimoore from that shopkeeper… um, well, from JD, actually, I guess,” she said ruefully. “Just call it ‘Plan B’, in case Vale tried to make a run for it. He said it might come in handy, and threw it in free of charge with the stuff we bought to fight undead.” She shook her head in wonder. Not sure how he knew we might end up in this kind of situation… I mean, the guy’s just a computer program. It’s not as if he could know the future.

“So how do we do this?” Serena asked. “Do we just walk right up to her and beat her senseless here in the middle of the library? Or do we try and sneak up on her and get the drop on her before she knows we’re even here?”

“Well, just speaking for me, personally,” a high pitched voice replied from behind them, causing everyone to turn, “I think the second choice is out.” Vale smirked, raising an eyebrow, holding a makeshift club from what appeared to be a broken table leg. “Hi kiddies,” she said, patting the heavy wood rod lightly in her palm. “I heard you were looking for me. So… let’s have a chat, shall we?”

* * *

“You love me? Even after all these years?” Anadriel asked softly, still clutching Kyle to her.

“Yeah.” Kyle said softly, rubbing her back comfortingly.

“You stubborn bastard.” She said with a laugh that was choked up because of her tears.

He let out a quick huff of laughter, “Yeah.”

“Kyle?”

“Yeah?”

“I don’t want to be like this anymore.”

“Like what?”

“A heartless siren who can’t see you right in front of her. Right now… even now, I hate you for being right. I hate you because you’ve protected me all these years. I hate that I absolutely tore you down at every opportunity I got.”

“So what can we do? How can I help?” He asked.

“I think you know.” She replied, her voice so soft she could barely be heard.

“What?”

“Nora,” she said, swallowing painfully. “She’s so much stronger now—”

“No Dri,” Kyle said shaking his head, realizing what she was alluding to. “I can’t do that. Not to you. I already—”

“Whatever you’ve done in the past, it’s the past. I know you know how to fix me. I know you can do it. I saw the reports. That assassin girl. She’s different now. Nora even, she’s so much stronger. She’s brave.” She swallowed again. “And then there’s me. I can barely live with myself.”

He looked around, but of course, there was no one else around. He racked his brain for alternative words in Draconic, but he couldn’t find anything that would solve his predicament. Sighing inwardly, he looked at her. “Are you sure?”

“Yes.” She nodded. Her chin turned upward. “Do it.”

Wux re sia teno silit

Anadriel’s haughty features gasped and she shuddered as the magic worked within her. Her eyes went blank and glassy and her mouth hung slightly agape, her hands slack at her sides and her posture slouched. After a few seconds, she began to slowly get on her knees and finally, she said,

“I am your obedient and adoring slave,” Just as before, the girl before him spoke with humility, more than he had ever heard in Anadriel’s voice ever. She leaned forward her forehead against the floor, completely submitting to him, identical to what happened in the room inn with Serena and Leila. Despite the situation he had just gone through with her, naughty thoughts invaded his head. He had dreamed, fantasized about, this moment so many times. “Please command me, Master. I will obey.”

“Dri. You can stand up. You’re fine. You don’t have to bow. You don’t have to call me Master. You don’t have to do anything. You can be whoever you want. And all of those things you said in the past? The way you treated me? It’s ok. I understand. You don’t have to worry. Alright?”

“I understand Master.” She said, rising to her feet, kissing him, deeply, passionately much to his surprise. He kissed her back instinctively, but parted them after a few seconds.

“Dri?” he asked, nearly breathless. “Wh… What are doing?” He asked in concern and confusion.

“I’m trying to thank you, you bloody idiot.” She replied with a slight smirk.

After a second, Kyle laughed, the tension of the moment gone. He shrugged, pulling her in for another kiss. Maybe it was a good thing after all—despite the situation, despite being his loyal and loving slave girl now, his Dri was still there. She hadn’t really changed at all.