The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

61 Days in River City

CHAPTER 9

Divine was becoming addicted to Motorcycle Maid’s programme. She watched yesterday’s events unfold as seen by that helmet camera and winced when she saw herself smash into that wall, before rising and continuing the chase.

The wince turned to amazement when the camera suddenly went at ninety degrees as Motorcycle Maid wall walked around that corner to avoid the caltrops, just as Pinnacle had. She nearly put her fist through the screen again then, but restrained herself. After all, Pinnacle was with her and she needed some cool emotionless logic in her attitude. How would she get that if she continually saw Divine punching out screens when she didn’t like what’s on them?

So she went with the flow and determined to ‘have a talk’ with that bitch of a reporter later.

The chase petered out and, fortunately, Motorcycle maid hadn’t recorded what happened after. Divine knew they hadn’t been observed, but was still relieved when the recording didn’t show it. It was something she didn’t want to remember.

Motorcycle Maid went into her analysis after the chase scene was shown and Divine was delighted when she acknowledged the others who were impersonating them.

“Now, after saying my previous opinion was in error, that was only because of the two sets of supers operating here, the reals and the fakes. So we must look at the fake Divine and understand what’s happening. Remember that hand behind her breast? My analysis still stands but my correction is that it’s the fake Divine who’s the drag queen.”

A broad grin crept over Venus’ face.

Far away, Sonia leapt back in alarm when Vicky punched out the screen.

“But folks, let’s think about this.”

Motorcycle Maid had more to say on the subject. Words that Vicky would never hear.

“Think about my analysis. Think about why I’m calling that fake Divine a drag queen. She’s nearly a caricature of a woman, that’s why. Her ultra large chest, her extreme hourglass figure, her heels and all the rest are what a drag queen would want to look like. But that fake was only copying the real Divine, wasn’t he? And that means… what? Can it be that our hero Divine is also a drag queen? After all…”

Hannah leapt back when Venus put her fist through the screen.

“Hey, compose yourself, this is important.” Sonia was insistent.

“You heard what she said. I’m going to have a few words with that bitch of a reporter.”

“No you’re not. It’s only a news report. It’s nothing. Now look at this.”

Vicky reluctantly let go of some of her anger and looked. She had to read it three times before it penetrated.

“What’s this mean?”

“What it says. We’re to ensure Divine and all the Greco Roman goddesses here are to remain safe. Specifically, despite what Betsy said, we’re not to try and kill Divine. In fact we’re to protect her if she’s in danger.”

“What’re they playing at?”

“It comes from your lot and Wyrd has backed it. Faeryfaye’s charged with informing Betsy, wherever she is.”

“But why? I’ve already taken a pot shot at her. She’s not going to like me now.”

“Well, we’re lucky her uniform is bulletproof aren’t we. We’ll just have to protect her without her approval. After all, they’re the ones who’re helping me - us, to kill Alicia. That’s the main thing here. Don’t ever forget that. And they seem very insistent about this. I don’t know why and I don’t care but I do need their help.”

She responded to the email with a simple OK.

Vicky stomped off to bed and was soon deep in her fave wet dream.

The staff and customers at the small store were going about their business in the helpful and friendly way they always did when they all, as one, turned to see where the smell was coming from. They all saw her. It was a small shop, but even in a big shop she would be hard to miss at over six feet and dressed in what looked to be hand stitched leather and wool. Everything she wore looked homemade and worn out, some obviously repaired many times. The watchers were greatly impressed by the sword at her side and the shield on her back. It was obvious these weren’t toys. All these observations were subservient to her smell.

The manager saw what was happening from his office. He saw so much he decided to stay where he was for the present and oversee.

She walked in looking left and right and the people closest to her backed away and left her to it. The cashiers wondered what to do but ended up staying at their stations watching. After all, they definitely weren’t being paid to do anything else at this precise moment.

So everybody watched the strange smelly woman as she stalked the aisles, without a trolley or a basket, looking for something. Her soft padded footfalls were the loudest things to be heard now. She went up and down the aisles until she stopped at the alcohol section and stared, finally picking up three bottles of whisky.

She looked around then and saw the cashiers, as if for the first time. Opening a bottle she took a massive swallow without benefit of glass or manners and padded to the closest cashier. The people in the queue before her melted away and she put down the two and a bit bottles in front of the cashier who scanned them automatically, taking great care not to spill any from the opened bottle.

“Seventy five sixty two, please” she squeaked.

Shield Maiden reached into one of the pouches around her waist, took out a jewel and laid it down before her. Then she scooped up the bottles and walked out, drinking from the neck of the open one. It was a few minutes before anyone thought to go out and see where she went to, but by then she was nowhere to be seen.

Later the manager gave all the staff an important briefing. Whoever that woman was, she was welcome, even if every other customer left because of the smell. He had just had that jewel valued.

* * *

“Mr Tsi, you’ve worked a little miracle here. I’m so pleased.” Mrs Hanson was effusive in her praise.

“Mrs. Hanson. Please don’t overestimate this event. My initial prognosis still stands.”

He looked at her face and decided to continue.

“Twenty per cent of my patients will recover some semblance of their original personality. Note I said ‘some semblance’. And that means eighty per cent of them will never recover. Never unless some radical new technique comes along and is tested and proved to be effective before they die. Valery is an unfortunate case from my standpoint. She’s an exception. There are people who are naturally resistant to mind control and Valery is one of them. Normally they are discarded by a mind controller, usually killed and dumped somewhere. For some reason they persisted with her. She’s had far more drugs and treatment than most, but her mind is still elastic. That’s not a technical term, by the way. Once she’s free of their influence, she can snap back quickly. Please understand the others won’t. Most of them will live out their lives as they are, zombies, obedient to whomever can claim them.”

“Mr Tsi, let me give you some advice.”

She was staring right into his eyes as she said this.

“I’ve noticed people like you, that is, people who are logical and especially driven in their speciality, don’t, or can’t, understand the general public. I do understand exactly what you’ve just said, but, for your own sake, do not repeat it anywhere where it can get to a news outlet. And that means anywhere outside closed and soundproofed doors. It would sound to them as if you are dismissing Valery as a freak. And, after all this publicity, they won’t stand for that. They will harm you, perhaps seriously, one way or another. Discuss this with your legal advisers if you don’t believe me. In fact, I advise you to do so.”

She looked at his face and relented a little.

“Look, you’re a specialist in psychiatry. I’m a specialist in the control of people. And that’s NOT mind control. People as a group behave differently than when they’re alone. That’s my speciality and my advice was from that base.”

He took a breath. “Thank you,” he said. “But what I said is true.”

“Yes, but don’t say it out there. There are ways of saying the same thing that’ll be safe for you, but that’s a talent I don’t think you have.”

She paused to let things settle.

“Now there’s something I wanted to talk to you about. You are certainly talented in your field, Valery proves that,” she immediately held up her hand. “Yes, I do know and understand your objections. But you’re not seeing the big picture here. I’ve been informed your use of standard drugs in the individual dosages and timings you’ve prescribed coupled with the ‘scare’ tactics you employ is inspired. It doesn’t matter if none of the others are cured or even improved. According to the media you’ve actually cured Valery. No one else could even come close.” She looked deep into his eyes. “I want to offer you a job.”

He paused and seemed to search for the appropriate words. “Thank you, Mrs Hanson, but I can’t accept. As you know I’m already on a contract in China and I can’t get out of it. In fact, I don’t want to get out of it.”

* * *

“OK, I’ll go by myself then.”

“Sorry, but you know I can’t go this time.” Venus was apologetic but she did have other things to worry about and family came high on that list.

“I know and don’t worry. This time I’ll just follow them as far as I can. And yes I do remember fake Divine, or whatever she is now, can detect people somehow. As far as I can see it’s intermittent, or she has to focus on it deliberately. I’m going to keep as far back as I can and not give her any reason to suspect I’m there.”

“And no heroics either. Get the information and come back. We’ll do a lot better if we can plan a campaign. Shadowland seems to be their territory. Remember that. They’ll know it far better than you. What would you do if you were them?”

Yeah, I get it. I’ll be careful.”

“No, I mean it. What would you do if you were them?”

“Set up traps to lure enemies into.”

Venus laughed. “Yes, we should’ve realised that before we chased them. But let’s see if we can do better next time. What would you do now if you were them?

Hannah sat back and thought, trying to put herself in their place. It was difficult. She had no idea what they were trying to do, so she couldn’t really work out what they were likely to do. She admitted it.

“Okay,” answered Venus. “We don’t know their intentions. But we do know how they react. They stopped that robbery, didn’t they? The one that started all this off. But they let us deal with the next one and we don’t know if they just watched any others without even trying to help. Why? Even a wild speculation might help.”

Hannah was impatient to get away and start her search, again, but she forced herself to stop and think.

“What if they just want to understand the area? They knew it well when we chased them and that first time they stopped the robbery was when Motorcycle Maid was around. What if she saw them and recorded it? Maybe they felt they had to intercede? After all, they were dressed as us and if we didn’t do anything about it, that would be a story. That means… what?”

“That’s something to think about. At the very least they don’t want publicity. Okay, suppose you’re right. What does that mean?” Venus thought for a while. “Maybe they’re expecting action there later and they need to know the area for their plan? Which begs the question, what’s their plan? There’s nothing there that’s worth all this planning and activity. Sure there’s small businesses, but this level of activity demands a far bigger payoff.

Pinnacle was getting into this now.

“Well then, just assume there’s a payoff for them later on. And remember this payoff is in their opinion, not ours. We might decide it’s not worth the effort.”

She paused to think before proceeding.

“The payoff doesn’t matter. What matters is they have free access to Shadowland and they know as much about it as anyone.”

Pinnacle brightened as an idea struck.

“Now, is anything going to happen to Shadowland? A building development for instance? Or, perhaps,” this was obviously her real thought, “has anything already happened there? Something we maybe wouldn’t normally care about?” She looked expectantly at Venus.

Venus saw that she should be thinking something specific here, but she couldn’t think of anything offhand. She brought to mind her recent encounters there and the rare occasions in the past she had business there. The obvious just hit her brain all at once.

“Prostitutes,” she exclaimed. “Do they have anything to do with the prostitute organisation that’s established itself there?”

Hannah smiled. “That’s what I thought. It’s too much of a coincidence that both the fakes and those prostitutes show up at nearly the same time. I’m sure they’re connected in some way - they’re probably enforcers there to protect the whores dressed as us to hide what they’re really doing.. Which means they’re expecting trouble, or is this normal for these people? Tonight I’ll look for the fakes and I’ll check out those prostitutes. Maybe I can see if there’s some sort of central organisation behind them.”

Pinnacle patrolled Shadowland that night with high enthusiasm. Even the depressing environments she found herself in couldn’t dampen her enthusiasm for this chase now. She didn’t find any evidence of the fakes, and she used all her senses extensively, especially her ability to smell a trail, but there was no trail to follow. So she concentrated on watching the prostitutes.

Shield Maiden/Vicky, on duty at their private CCTV screen, wondered why she was spending so much time checking out the prostitutes.

Pinnacle watched them work for hours, until she began to catch the rhythm to their activities. She saw the soldiers walking the area, apparently unarmed, in no particular pattern. Occasionally one of them would stop and talk to one of the girls. Was he giving her orders? She automatically didn’t think the girls were getting enough protection, given the vast disparity in numbers between the girls and the soldiers. But she recognised this was her first try at assessing such an activity, so she didn’t really know. But it may be productive finding this out, so she added another note on her phone.

There were plenty of customers and plenty more gawpers, cars that passed the girls repeatedly without stopping at any time. They may have stopped in some other street, but she wondered why they would spend so much time just cruising. She didn’t know and didn’t know how to find that one out. She suspected it would take a few degrees in psychiatry to arrive at any sort of answer that veered towards being true.

One car intrigued her. It was a black limo that cruised the streets here regularly. But not too regularly. That was different and the blacked out windows gave it an air of mystery. Pinnacle wondered about that one a lot. She intuited it could be significant.

At about 3am she noticed the girls were packing up. There were far fewer on the street now, but it wasn’t a mass exodus. The girls just gradually left, leaving enough of them back to service the cars that still prowled the area. Fewer and fewer cars meant fewer and fewer whores, but there were always enough of them around to service all the customers.

Pinnacle noted this and wondered if it was a pecking order or if they were working to orders. One thing was for certain, her total observation of this activity had convinced her it was far bigger than she first thought. Everything was orderly and there were no fights or even arguments. Pinnacle assumed there must be an organisation behind it.

She determined to call it a day at about 3-30am. The girls had thinned to just a few now, as had the cars.

Pinnacle groaned at the thought of how much sleep she wouldn’t get tonight before work. But she had done this before and could cope.

Shield Maiden/Vicky was, at that very moment, hours into a favourite wet dream. She used lucid dreaming often when she didn’t have a partner.

Some of the girls leaving had clustered into a group and were chatting as they walked away. This was new. None of the others had done that. They just walked away on their own. This group intrigued Pinnacle and she followed them, moving from rooftop to rooftop in her own well practised way. Following them was easy. More intrigue came when they turned down an alley instead of travelling straight down the road like the rest.

Pinnacle’s sleepiness deserted her as adrenaline seeped into her system. She was too tired for a surge, but the seepage was just effective enough to have her continue to trail them. After a five minute walk through the alleys they entered an old decrepit looking warehouse and were suddenly lost to view.

She waited for fifteen long minutes on a rooftop opposite, just watching. After seeing nothing untoward, she expanded her senses and explored that way. She was learning. She could vaguely hear them, but they must be deep inside the building.

There was nothing in her way here, so she carefully dropped to the ground and approached the building. Extending her senses, especially her hearing, she again ensured there was no one waiting for her inside. There were no traps. Nothing mechanical could have been set up in the maximum time she estimated they had, if they indeed had detected her earlier. She tried the door. It was unlocked. She stepped carefully inside, enhancing her vision as she did so, it was darker than the outdoors. Pinnacle closed the door silently behind her.