The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Something In the Water

Chapter 16 Before the Hammer Falls

Detective Philip Bernake:

“So...you mind telling me what happened?”

Daniel Bates:

“ Sharon, Lydia...they were in trouble...I had save to save them.”

Bernake:

“Oh Okay, so you’re an undercover cop right? You have a badge hidden on you somewhere? Maybe up your ass?”

Bates:

“It’s not that easy, the whole situation...I didn’t know if...look if I told you you’d think I was crazy.”

Bernake:

“Well better crazy than criminal, cause right now I’m looking at a kid that’s definitely guilty of vigilantiism, obstruction, maybe even assault and battery depending what other evidence I dig up. Do you know what the minimum jail sentence is on those crimes?

Bates:

“Look, I’ve seen Law and Order, I know how this plays out. You don’t have to threaten me. I’m in deep shit. I know it. I don’t care. What would have happened if I hadn’t acted would have been far worse.

Bernake:

“You don’t have a fucking clue about shit kid.”

Bates:

“No it’s you that doesn’t, and it’s me that wants to tell you what you can’t know in so far as I can. So how about giving me some breathing space before slopping on the bad cop routine.”

Bernake:

“...alright...alright...go ahead.”

The stop button clicked on the tape recorder, Detective Philip Bernake sighed, taking another drag on his cigartette. His thoughts shifted with the inhale. The kid had wanted to tell the truth. The bits and pieces that he did say, matched up with the evidence and the story he got from the Sanchez family. The smoke drifted out of his mouth in a slow exhale. Still, there were so many questions to the whole thing. And the kid had been so resistant to give up anything.

With a moment’s thought he shrugged, and hit the play button again on the voice recorder. The interview continued.

Bates:

“I said we were going to save Sharon, that’s the truth. Yes I should have called the police, but... they didn’t know what they were up against. Sharon probably wouldn’t have come out of this incident the same.”

Bernake:

“Is your intention to dance around the central issue without ever giving me a straight answer? Cause right now you’re wasting my time.”

Bates:

“It’s not that...”

Bernake:

“Than what is it?” He could hear the skepticism in his own voice.

Bates:

sigh. Pause. “This case is very confusing to you isn’t it?”

Bernake:

“That isn’t any of your business.”

Bates:

Pause. “That’s fair, I’m sorry. What I meant by that is...no one is acting like you’d think they should, hell the whole situation seems nuts. Strangers with no past record taking part in a kidnapping, some other random people coming to the rescue, naked women, fighting, gun shots... It’s a fucked up situation. How can I tell you anything without you thinking the same about me?”

There was silence for a moment, Bernake remembered it was when he’d been thinking about bringing up the strange and almost immediate recovery that Daniel Bates had made in the hospital. He’d cast the thought out, trying to stay on task.

Bernake:

“Than why are you here?”

Bates:

“Andrew Smythe never made it to the hospital, did he?”

Bernake:

Pause “I don’t see how that matters.”

Bates:

“He didn’t did he?”

Again the stop button. Again a drag on the cigarette. He was trying not to be angry. Why the kid was so unwilling to tell him what he wanted to know remained a mystery. Why come down voluntarily if all he was going to do was suggest he knew what happened without even telling him?

Bernake paused at that thought. For whatever reason, call it his intuition, he believed him, hell he admitted to the whole thing. He just refused to say why he was there. The situation was as he said it, nothing made sense. Nobody acted in character given backgrounds and everything else that he knew. He’d wanted to believe him.

Still, he’d tried to shake him up. He’d began yelling, threatening the kid, trying to get him to break, to cry, to give up something he could use. But the kid hadn’t budged. He hadn’t taken the baiting. He’d taken Bernake’s goading and just continued to half-answer everything . He was so fucking sure about the rightness of what he did that he came in without a lawyer and was willing to accept jail time for it.

Not like he was sure he wanted to give it to him.

He wished to God awful hell that the kid was lying. But nothing, nothing about what Daniel Bates had told him, nothing about how he had told him suggested that Daniel was lying. He’d even owned up for attacking Karen Drane and Elizabeth Doyle, which a guilty man would never ever do.

But if he wasn’t guilty where did that leave him? An accessory? A witness? Just some half-crazy vigilante with delusions of heroism?

Bernake sighed. No drugs on the scene. No alcohol. No large amounts of cash. Why were all of those people there? Why did those girls run? Where the fuck was Andrew Smythe?

That was when the door to his office opened, Bernake lifted his head as his partner, Charlie Ames, entered. For the moment Bernake pushed the thought out of his head. He’d sent Charlie to dig up whatever information he could on the people he considered the two main players, Daniel Bates and Andrew Smythe. He wanted to know how that had come.

“So?” he said, his attention turned to his partner.

“You won’t believe it, but Daniel has a file” Charlie said dumping two manilla folders down on Bernake’s desk.

Curious.“Really? What about?”

* * *

Daniel Bates sat in his mother’s car across the street from Lydia’s house. It had been two days since the events at Andrew Smythe’s house, Monday. His eyes stared down at the cellphone in his lap, the name of the ignored message laying there plain to see, “Carol” his highschool guidance councilors, one of his old mentors.

She’d been the second one to be there for him after the fight with his father, after Simon had to leave, after everything. He’d almost made her into one of his slaves, before he’d managed to get under control the intense libido that came with having one of those creatures inside you. If he’d done that, if he hadn’t somehow become aware of what he was doing. If he’d actualy fucked her, if he’d actually changed her... That thought was almost too terrible.

<It’s sorry for that.>

I don’t blame you. It’s just your nature.

<But you changed its nature.>

That statement brought a slow smile to his face. I guess I did.

“Who was it on the phone?”

Daniel turned his attention to Azuma, sitting next to him, small lithe and distinctly Japanese, sitting in the passenger seat next to him, her questioning eyes looking him over. The top three buttons undone and the associated flesh that came with that action. He could almost see her breasts and the bra that he knew wasn’t there.

Still he tried to ignore it,“Carol, you don’t know her, “ turning away his head away from her and out the window, staring at the house where he knew Lydia stayed within.

“How was she in there?” he heard Azuma ask, her hands gesturing towards the house across the street, Lydia.

He sighed, “Despondent, she wouldn’t even acknowledge me. Parents already have a psychologist in the works.” His eyes turned down suddenly “If only they knew the truth.”

“Andrew...” the words trailed out of her mouth like a wistful thought. He was why they were here, hoping that one point or another Andrew would come back looking for her. Also it helped that the media wasn’t crowding around Lydia’s house.

He continued to stare away from her “He’ll come for her. I know he will.”

Azuma just sat on the otherside of the car quietly, staring out the window.

Daniel turned back in his chair, his eyes looked Azuma up and down slowly. “You sure you want to stay here? I’m sure work will be suspicious with both you and my mom missing. I can handle this on my own.”

Azuma shrugged, “Shouldn’t you be at school?”

Daniel smiled.

* * *

Philip Bernake was a little confused, “So let me get this straight, at age twelve he fought an abusive father off of his mother with a baseball bat?”

Charlie nodded, “Kid’s got a history of this hero shit, which might explain him running off to the rescue like he did.”

Bernake paused his mind thinking at all of the other problems that existed in the case; perfect strangers gathered together for what looked like an orgy, friends assaulting and kidnapping another friend’s family. Wonder boy runs to the rescue, one of his teachers, mother and another random woman in tow. It was possible, but even then so fucking what? That was the least of his questions.

“What about Andrew?” he heard himself say.

Charlie shrugged,“Jack-diddly, a couple moving violations, that’s about it.”

“Background?”

“ Finished suma-cum laude from Brown,” Charlie continued, “One living family member, his father, lives all the way out in Orland Park.” He flipped another page over in the thin report, shrugged, “I can’t say that there’s anything in his past to suggest why he did what he apparently did.”

Bernake nodded, “The paramedics don’t remember whether they picked up Andrew Smythe or not. Which doesn’t make any sense. I was there. I saw him carted away.”

Charlie shrugged, “I take it Daniel Bates’ interview didn’t clear anything up?”

Bernake shook his head as he paged through Daniel Bates’ file, a history of a troubled boy taking it out on the world around him. He looked at names through that history, peoples involved with him, Terrence Howard, school councilor, Stephanie Myers, child psychologist, notes explaining continued outbursts. Issues with trust, etc. etc.

Bernake shook his head as he looked down. Was it even worth trying to decipher the mindset of this boy? What could he hope to glean? Then a name and title caught his eye, seperate, unprofessional, unlike the others: Simon Rosete?

“What about the other people?”

Bernake, continued to stare down at the file, perusing the section left by Mr. Rosete. He shrugged,“Ms. Papadakus wouldn’t say anything. For whatever reason Ms. Drane and Ms. Doyle out and out lied. There’s almost no evidence to support the bullshit that they tried to spin me. The three of them are still locked in temp holding” he said with a touch of distraction. “Hey Charlie” he said raising the file “what’s up with this guy?”

Charlie turned his head closer, scrutinizing, “Simon Rosete? What of him?”

“What’s an Americorps volunteer doing amongst all these academic bigwigs?”

Charlie shrugged, “Search me, why does it matter?”

Bernake continued to look through the file, “There’s not many ‘incidents’ after his involvement, if this chronology is right.”

Charlie shrugged, “So what?”

Bernake cast his eye up at him “So what? My first thoughts told me this kid is troubled, maybe neurotic, which would have been nice.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because I could ignore, what little he did tell me. But...” he said gesturing towards the open file, “ if this is correct he mellowed out in his time with this guy. What did he do in order to rehabilitate him? If he did do that. And if he did and Daniel is telling the truth...”

Charlie scoffed,“Than we just have more confusion.”

“Yeah...” the words trailed off, his thoughts running over that same well trodden territory. Nothing made sense. He took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled, “Motives a real bitch here. I keep thinking that maybe I can find it in the backgrounds of these people.” Bernake stood up from his desk and reached for his coat, “I’m going to get out of here.”

“Where to?”

“Lunch you wanna come? You can tell me all about the other stuff that I sent you out for.”

Charlie looked skeptical, gesturing towards the outside door, the crowds, “You sure you want to go out in that?”

“Do I have a choice? I have to leave this office sooner or later.”

Charlie laughed as the two stepped out together, bracing themselves for the crowds.

* * *

The knock at the side window startled him. Daniel shot his eyes up towards the origin of the noise. His body relaxed, Sharon, bent down in front of the driver side window, looking at him with a wane smile.

He cast a glance back towards Azuma. She nodded at him. She was going to stay in the car.

Daniel opened up his door and stepped out, “Hey, what are you doing here?”

She dithered a little, her head turning down towards the ground and then up towards him, “I don’t know, hiding from the media, it’s a real circus around my house right now.”

And she came to him...He knew what was happening. He cast a quick glance back at Lydia’s house before turning his attention back to Sharon “How’d you find me?”

Her eyes part turned away as her hands sat in her pockets, “ I talked with Jim, he’d said you’d be here.”

Daniel nodded, his head turned down and kicking at a phantom can.

“ So how’s Lydia?” Sharon said after a moment.

He made to speak, but stopped, continued,”Not better, Andrew’s still out there...somewhere.”

Sharon nodded.

Daniel lifted his head, looking at Sharon, “You alright? I mean...after everything?”

“Yeah...mi familia’s fretting all over me, and there are those news people asking me all of those questions that I don’t want to answer, but I’m doing okay.” She paused for a moment, as her head turned up towards Lydia’s house. “I just wish this would all be over.”

Daniel nodded, “I do too. I hate this...I just wish this had never happened.”

<You wish it had never happened?> Daniel felt the hurt of those words, like the creature within him wondering if he hated him.

No, it’s not you I hate, but its everything that’s happened because of your kind. It’s not your fault though.

The thought seemed to satisfy it, the feeling that he felt in its silence.

Sharon mumbled something, the tale end, a word “-met.”

“What did you say?”

There was a pause, “Nothing.”

There was a long pause and silence, Daniel dug around for something to talk about. He knew she’d leave, and didn’t know if he wanted her to. “I’m surprised your Dad let you come down here. He came across as a real patriarch.”

Sharon smiled, “He just pretends to be. My mom is the one who really ran things.” Her head rose, her eyes staring into his, “Plus he trusts you, which is a rare complement given to a gringo.”

Smile,“A Whitey?”

“Something like that.”

The words echoed away. Again there was the awkward silence. A car passed them by on the open street. The sun shined on the cold pavement. Birds bleeted out in the distance. All of this Daniel took in, digging through his head, wondering if there was anything else to say. He knew what was going on. He knew the feelings. But there was still Lydia, and there was still those feelings. He just didn’t know what to do.

“You know...” he heard Sharon begin “He’ll probably still come for me. If he went through all of that trouble to hunt me down...he’ll probably come back.”

Daniel nodded, his eyes still turned away, “That’s what’s my mom is there for, she is keeping a good eye on you right?”

“You want to ask her yourself?” she asked, gesturing towards the car.

“No I’m good.”

Sharon kicked at a phantom rock on the ground, her eyes moving from her feet to Daniel.“Listen, I have to run some errands, mail, groceries, stuff like that. Azuma can handle this. I was wondering if you wanted to come with me. ”

Daniel turned his eyes down, looking at her outstretched arm. He knew the meaning of the gesture. He knew what it meant to take it. And he couldn’t. “I can’t...I just can’t...” he said.

She made to speak, but stopped. After a moment her head slowly nodded, “I understand,” her eyes thoughtful, shifting between within and at him. She pulleda pen and scrap of paper out of her pocket. Walking over to the car beside Daniel she scribbled something on it. After a moment she turned back towards him, handing him the piece of paper. “If you change your mind.”

Daniel cast his gaze down at the sheet of paper, turning his attention back up towards Sharon, questioning, silent, pensive.

She smiled wanely, “I’ll catch you later.”

He just nodded.

He watched her turn away from him, without an embrace, a touch or even a gesture. He knew what he had done. He hurt her, but there was nothing that he could do about it. She headed back towards her car, Catherine, his mother riding shotgun. The engine ignited, the car shifting to drive as Sharon pulled away. He stood there, on the open street, watching the car disappear into the distance. Sharon gone.

He turned back to the paper in his hand, flipping the white crumpled sheet over. Her name and number sat on the other side. Even after what he’d said she still hoped, she still believed.

Daniel sighed, “Shit...” He turned back towards the driver seat of his car, his eyes casting one last glance up the empty road. The car door opened and closed behind him.

* * *

The front desk was bustling madly, not particularly because there was a lot of criminals to process. Mostly because the media had come in town. Word had spread fast about the kidnapping, about Daniel Bates running to the rescue like some kind of hero. About the fight at the house on Whimple st. The story, a rarity in its own right attracted people from all over.

And made everything a complete pain in the ass for Detective Philip Bernake. It seemed like every step forward prompted another inquiry from some other random news organization.

“Any new information with regards to the case?”

Bernake: “Investigation is on going, I’ll let you know when worthwhile information comes to our attention.”

“We’ve heard reports that one of the people involved, an Andrew Smythe has gone missing, do you have anything to comment?”

Bernake :“No.”

Nine seperate news organizations and a whole cadre of reporters and camera crews had descended upon Harris Park, Dentonville, and Pine Lake to cover the story. They’d crowded into the local motels, around the homes of Daniel Bates, Sharon Sanchez, and the local police stations, trying to gather information, but mostly causing a racket. It was a real media circus.

“Excuse me-“

Bernake:“No.”

Bernake pushed his way through the crews, eyes roving the crowd, just trying to get to the exit. Some police detectives would have loved their chance to be in the spotlight. They would have stopped, answered questions and talked about how proud they were of the men and women in their police force for...yada yada bullshit. The Commitee Head of Harris Park had already made his rounds, but Bernake personally thought it was a load-

Suddenly he caught something, a whiff, a moment caught in his peripherary. He stopped and turned around for a moment, ignoring members from the media as they threw questions at him. He scanned the crowd, his mind going to the picture he saw on the open file on his desk, Andrew Smythe. Was it possible? No, he’d be nuts if he came here. Camera’s flashed in his eyes, the loud chorus of people jostling for position in front of him, obscuring his vision. Even if it was him, there was no way he would be able to tell anything in the mass of people, in the noise around him.

There was no way. There was really no way. What could the guy hope to accomplish? Except maybe to turn himself in? But he saw those injuries. A quick glance up to the front desk told him that no one was there. What was he thinking? Why was he thinking that?

A hand on his shoulder, “Come on.”

Startled, it was Charlie, Bernake nodded. They pushed through the last vestiges of people out into the open street and into their squad car. Portions of the circus followed behind them.

Bernake turned to Charlie,”So how fast do you think I’m going to have to go to lose these bastards?” he said, gesturing towards the media crowd.

“You’ll probably have to use the siren.”

Bernake smiled as he inserted the key in the ignition and pulled out.

* * *

Andrew Smythe’s heart skipped a beat as he watched the police detective searching for him through the crowd. He hadn’t realized who it was until he’d gotten too close to do anything about it. The best he could do was rush past him. He’d sat hidden on the side wall, noticing how the detective had stopped and turned to look for him. As his eyes had searched he was almost sure the detective would find him.

He’d let out a sigh of relief when he realized he hadn’t, when the front office door had opened and closed with his exit.

He’d pulled the cap tighter over his head.

That knowing smile came to his face again. He was in perfect control. Of course he was in perfect control. He turned his attention to the front desk, the police officer sitting there, his thoughts going to the two women sitting in the holding cells down stairs. He had to get the officer first though. They were his property, and by God he deserved to have them.

But he needed a cover, too many police officers in one place, he might be able to manipulate the officer at the front desk, but others would notice. But if he was a prisoner being taken down for processing... But that required-

The answer to his doubts walked right in the front door; a woman, tall, with long, curly red hair and freckles, a police officer.

His smile broadened. Everything was perfect. Everything was going to be perfect.

* * *

It had in fact taken the siren, strobe lights and about twenty minutes to give the media the slip, the effort having brought them to Sam’s Sandwich Shop in Havenbrook.

A town aptly named at the moment.

Bernake sighed, staring down at his pastrami on rye, he fucking hated the media, sure the public needed to know, but usually they got in the way of law enforcement finding out. At least in his own experience they had.

He shook the thought away, turning his attention back up to his partner sitting across from him. “So what did you find out about the person who submitted the anonymous call?”

Charlie reached into his front breast pocket and pulled out a sheet of paper, dumping it on the table. “He wasn’t on the phone long enough for us to trace, but we did get the phone number. I did as you said and cross referenced it with everyone that was on the scene when you arrived. Look what came up.”

Bernake turned his attention to the sheet in front of him, “Alexander Malarkey...that professor guy...which means...”

“He wasn’t there ‘ to pass on some research to his assistant’ as he said he was.”

Bernake nodded.

Charlie continued, “Which means he knows more than he let on and if Daniel won’t say anything, maybe we can get some information out of this professor. Maybe we can get the truth if Daniel won’t spill it.”

“Maybe,”Bernake said in distraction, Danny’s words running through his head, ‘If I tell you the truth you’ll think I’m nuts.’ Everything about the situation suggested he might be telling the truth. But if he was telling the truth what could it possibly be. Nothing made sense in the normal view of things. It required a regular-

“Occam’s Razor” he said aloud.

Charlie looked at him with confusion, “What?”

Bernake nodded his head, turning towards his partner, “a principle attributed to a 14th century Franciscan friar, whatever possibility carries the fewest assumptions generally leads to the truth. You have to cut away all the bullshit first though.”

Charlie scoffed, “Okay Socrates, and where does that lead us?”

“Let’s say that Daniel was saying the truth, and given how nothing seems to really makes sense, its possible, how could what he told us be true?”

Charlie sat there thinking for several long moments, skepticism filled his face“ this is-“

“Right nuts, as Daniel Bates said, but lets run with it.”

Charlie paused again, “Okay, Sharon’s friends assaulted her family and kidnapped her, friends wouldn’t have done that so... they would have had to be manipulated in some way.”

“Right, and why was Nikki Pappadakus, a teacher who hardly knew Daniel moved to try to kill for him?”

“Manipulation” Charlie reitirated.

“Right.”

Charlie face was one of careful thought ,“ Okay...but how?”

“That’s something we have to find out. Is it chemically induced, or something else?”

Again Charlie scoffed, “This is nuts.”

Bernake pushed “You have a better answer?”

Charlie continued to think, the skepticism slowly fading from his eyes. After a few moments it devolved into resignation,“So what are you suggesting?”

“I ignore Simon Rosete, and Carol Brennan, and all of that other crap, and we get a full biopsy on those three people we have in the holding cells, maybe even an MRI.”

Charlie scoffed, “And you think Drake will clear that budget expense?”

Bernake nodded, “The biopsy sure, I mean this is front page news, the MRI if something conclusive pops up.”

Charlie nodded, thoughtful, “So I don’t have to worry about the background check on Andrew?”

Bernake chuckled,“ Yes you do, Andrew is still out there, and he still seems dangerous, anything that might lead us to him will be helpful.”

Charlie nodded phrasing his words slowly to better understand the assignment, “So...Andrew’s Father, and the professor then?”

Bernake shook his head, “You get the father, I’ll take care of Mr. Malarkey , we still need to find out the meaning of whatever the biopsy might turn out.”

Charlie nodded, “Alright, sounds like a plan.”

Bernake smiled, maybe he really was going to get to the bottom of all of this.

* * *

The front desk had been easy. The orderly had been so distracted by the media circus chasing after the detective he’d barely given him and the glassy eyed police officer a second glance.

“Alright Julie, you know where to take him,” he said in a rushed kind of way as his head had craned out the front door.

Julie nodded slowly, her arm pretzeled around his “leading” the way downstairs. He’d been careful about the instructions with her. He needed her to act with some semblance of normalcy. Officers might forgive a space case, but they couldn’t avoid wondering about someone who didn’t respond. There was definitely no way he could give her any kind of commands while other people were around.

He could feel the anticipation growing within him as the two of them walked slowly down the stairs, her hand lightly touching his arm, her eyes still kind of staring in space, just enough of the mind numbing chemical flowing into her body.

As they walked down the hall people waved at her and she waved back, a smile came to her lips, Andrew hoping people wouldn’t notice how wooden it was. As they walked he couldn’t help but notice the warmth of her body against his, his eyes looking over her pretty face, a chest obscured by a bullet proof vest, but compensated for by a pair of fairly tight pants that certainly suggested the healthy body underneath.

He was going to fuck her so hard. He was going to make her his. She would make such a wonderful addition. There was all of the things that he could do if he had a police officer under his control. He could use her to get back at Daniel, that bastard, that fucker, how could he do that to him? If he hadn’t still been hurt he could have stopped him. He would have stopped him. Daniel was nothing, sneaking up like that, hell he couldn’t even have faced him like a man.

Well he was going to know what it was like to have the tables turned. He was going to draw him out, and by God he was going to be ready for him. That fucker and all of his bitches were going down. Everyone would know. Everyone would acknowledge how great he was, how smart, how capable.

He could feel his hand shaking as he’d brought Julie to the metal door leading into the holding cells. Her hands reaching down to the ring of keys at her hip.

The smile came again to his lips. Things were about to get much more to his liking. Things were going to change.