The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

“If you start doing things because you hate others and want to screw them over, the end result is bad.”

—Linus Torvalds

A Touch of Green

Chapter Sixteen

I face a great darkness.

I’ve been told about staring into the abyss. I looked at the face of darkness only to see the reflection there. There is a hollowness I’ve punctured when it was possible. Sometimes the darkness recedes as the light rises. Sometimes the emptiness takes hold without hope of relief. It seeks a showdown.

When the dam bursts though, the flood of light fills me and I expand.

* * *

The swell in New York harbor is not like it is in the ocean. Speeding through the harbor on a commandeered cigarette boat the detectives and the telepath felt the slight thundering of the swells against the hull anyway. It was cold. And wet.

Shaw was at the helm. He pointed the bow towards Governor’s Island once they cleared Battery Park at the south end of Manhattan.

“Where do we need to go on the island?,” he said.

“East side of the island. The Brooklyn side,” responded Robert.

“How long do you think it will take, Shaw?” Cain had a stern urgency in his face that said he wanted to get the bastard as soon as possible.

“Another five, maybe ten minutes,” Shaw turned the boat slightly so the bow pointed towards the opening between Governor’s Island and Brooklyn.

“Any contact with Ben,” Cain looked at Robert.

“Something is going on over there. I can sense two telepaths are pushing energy around but I can’t tell them apart from this far away. There is a clash going on. I have to get close, to see which one is Ben so I can help out.”

“I’m doing the best I can,” Shaw said. “We need to find where he went ashore, assuming he took a boat.”

“He took a boat. There really aren’t any other options.”

Robert seemed to be trying to focus. The detectives didn’t disturb him more. For now.

* * *

Ben crept forward towards the house. Getting close was going to be difficult. One of the guards to his left was standing up again. The Wizard was waking guards to send physical attacks against him. Quickly as he could he exerted control over other nearby guards and woke them to fight off the oncoming threat. The Wizards follower and his own got into a brawl. Melee ensued off to his right where another incoming guard had stumbled into one he controlled.

Suddenly his mental shield took a solid blow from the Wizard. The bed ridden telepath sent several staggering and fierce bolts at him. The first few were quite strong but still glanced off. After the first few batterred through to the shield he was able to parry away a few so they spent their energy away from him.

Having been struck by the bolts from the Wizard, Ben determined it only fair he strike back. He gathered as much energy as he could. Within a few moments he launched a spear like force at the other telepath. It struck the Wizard’s mental shields and clearly had the effect of temporarily stopping the direct bolts sent his way.

There were more of the guards coming his way. They weren’t moving easily, staggering through the dark trying to get close. The ones he could sense were armed. He could not have shooting out here. A bullet would end this as fast as a successful mind blast from the Wizard.

He had to split the effort a bit. Continuing to throw lower powered attacks at the Wizard, he formed up an additional lance. That lance he swung to cut the probe controls between the Wizard and the guards closing in on him. Most of them dropped back to the ground, asleep. The couple that remained he managed to plunge probes into with more power than the Wizard was putting into the effort. Multitasking was a strain on both of telepaths. Ben got control though and had them disarm themselves. Then had them disarm the ones on the ground.

The melee nearby continued with intensity. Ben really wanted to take down the other telepath before anyone got seriously injured. The Wizard struck him again with another heavy bolt of mental energy that sloughed off Ben’s shield without serious effect. It sure seemed like they were at an impasse, neither one of them breaching the other’s defenses. Ben wanted to get closer to the building in hopes the proximity would start to exclude the normal people, prevent loss of life.

Slapping aside another bolt from the Wizard as if he was fencing with him, Ben rushed a weak riposte that simply struck the shield of the Wizard without penetrating. His feet were at least moving him around towards the front of the house where the door was.

* * *

“Shaw! Over there,” Cain had spotted the boat Ben came in. He pointed so Shaw could see too. “If we get tied up where his boat is, we can follow the path in he used.”

“Give me a minute. You might get us ready to tie up.”

Robert was still struggling to separate and identify the two telepaths so he could tell which one to support. He couldn’t lend any help. He had no clue the guards were bouncing to their feet and falling asleep again, all as part of the duel between Ben and the Wizard. All he knew was the energy being thrown back and forth was going to create a beacon of activity other telepaths should easily be able to see for miles.

If there were any other telepaths.

As the bow came in close to the seawall, Shaw reversed the engine hard. He struggled to keep the heading inwards as Cain crept up onto the bow carefully, trying not to be bounced into the water. Cain took hold of the metal railing atop the seawall. With one hand he held onto the boat as he drew the rope around one of the posts. He didn’t know what kind of knot he was using, but Shaw could see it would keep the boat steady. Hand over hand along the rail from the boat he drew the side of the cigarette boat sideways up against the seawall so Shaw could tie off the stern.

The three men stood a moment. Cain finally looked at Robert.

“Any better here or do we have to go inland.”

“We’re going to have to go inland. Or rather. I am.”

“What are you talking about,” said Shaw.

“This is going to be very dangerous for you two. I can try to protect you, but you’re not telepaths. The Wizard could lock onto you and seize control. Then where would you be?”

“We’re going along,” said Cain. “You’ll do your job. We’ll do ours. It’s not an option for you to go alone.”

Robert shrugged. “Okay. So be it. I think you’re taking an unnecessary risk.”

They climbed out of the boat. There was a road running along the retaining wall to the river but it turned inwards at the trees they’d tied up by. They looked about a moment, the darkness concealing any real hint of the direction to travel in.

“This way,” said Robert after listening to his internal compass.

“Okay,” Shaw replied, “you take point since you at least have a clue where we’re going.”

Robert led them into the shadows and kept himself as close to dark areas as he could. His willingness to make his presence obvious was non-existent.

* * *

The mental battle see-sawed without any real gain yet by either Ben or the Wizard. The slamming blows he was diverting had to be taking a toll on the Wizard, though none of his direct strikes on the mental shield of the other telepath had displayed any indication of breaking through.

Ben did start to realize the other’s mental shield covered a far larger space than his own. One of the things he’d learned in dueling the Russian was the smaller shield provided more strength and structural support all around. He wondered if he could penetrate by multiple strikes at once.

With some effort he put together dozens of needle like probes to strike from all directions on the older telepath’s shield. He tried to press them in against the Wizard’s shield like pressing pins into a pin cushion. The pressure applied appeared to produced a little give, but far from enough to burst the bubble. Meanwhile another searing energy jolt flashed his way that he felt he had to parry aside.

They were too evenly matched. Ben was frustrated and trying to think of what he could have done differently with the Russian that might help. The only thing that really helped there was already uncovered this time. Being ‘not here’ had failed to keep his presence from being detected. What really helped the most last time was Ginny and the belaying pin. Such an option was far from available.

The guards kept getting up again and going down again. Every effort to keep them out of the fight merely resulted in more close combat melees. Brawls that were doing damage to the normals but not resolving anything. They were used as just so many pawns in actions of diversion. Ben knew if he let one through to him, all of his struggling would be for nothing.

Among the things he was glad of was the absence of the mystery telepath that had been spying on his home. The dark haired southern European truly did seem to have vanished. Ben wondered if he’d brought Dr. Moore with him if this would go any easier. She’d have been able to handle the guards while he duked it out with the Wizard. That’s not the way it happened though.

It was mostly a chess game with shots at the king while moving pawns around to protect himself. He had to balance the defense of his physical person with the mental prowess he was attempting to exert. Admittedly it was all mental prowess, but there was no physical threat he could bring to bear on the Wizard.

Three men, armed guards, piled out the front door of the house. They launched themselves in his direction, at a mad dash. Ben could take no chances. He drilled thick harsh control pipes of energy into them quickly. One of them almost had leveled his gun at Ben when he was finally put into a deep sleep.

Ben was sweating now. Energy drained from him was taking a physical toll. His concealment by one of the tree trunks was not to stop the Wizard but his minions.

He realized as closely matched as they were he would have to do something different to take the Wizard down. This had already gone on too long for his own stamina to hold up a lot longer. He thought about how he had protected Ginny and Janet. There had to be a way. The only thing that would win this for him was to out think the Wizard, not to out muscle him.

An idea crept inside his thoughts. Every time the Wizard of his minions tried to take him, they’d laid a trap. They’d kidnapped someone or had programmed someone to put him off his guard. A trap to draw out the Wizard might be the most effective method of getting his guard down. It was just a matter of setting up something to trap him with.

Inside his mental shield he started to build an illusory personality construct. It would have to have access to his visual and auditory senses. Even shallow it had to have enough thoughts and memories built into it to be believable as a real person. He also had to wrap a shield around it to isolate it from the rest of his mind.

While he did this, the Wizard took what seemed to be a respite in Ben’s attacks as an indication of weakening. The pulse of assaults with saber lunging mind blasts kept striking Ben’s shield and being blunted on it.

With the clashing of mental energy, he felt the place must be like a spotlight. But Ben completed the faux person in miniature and started to weaken the shield at the outside edge. The Wizard had to think he was breaking through finally. The man had to think he’d achieved the breakthrough on his own. He prepared his own probe as the follow through on this effort.

* * *

There! There was a weakness in the intruder’s mental shield. A solid puncture there and he’d have him. And if he captured him mentally, he’d have another strong telepath at his beck and call to do his bidding. Yes, Hyman told himself. Yes, I’m going to get through and take him. I’ll even let him feel the regret the rest of his unnatural life!

Hyman pulled together his energy and sent a shattering stroke where the invading telepath’s shield was weakest. The shield there shattered and Hyman was in. He poured a strong persistent probe in through the opening.

* * *

Ben felt the surge of energy flush inward where he’d built the pocket personality. It took a little effort to observe the persistent probe the Wizard put in behind the breakthrough. Instantly his own probe followed the Wizard’s back to the small opening in the bedridden telepath’s shields. Ben’s probe slid right in unnoticed. The Wizard was far too preoccupied with the fake personality to notice he’d left an opening.

Quickly Ben drove the probe to the piece of the Wizard’s mind making telepathy possible. He pumped as much energy into it as he dared under the circumstance. The telepathic centers of Hyman Wreight’s mind overloaded. In less time than a heartbeat, they burnt out.

With so tiny a change the shield the Wizard had held collapsed. His probe at Ben vanished. His will had been supplanted.

The battle ended. Telepathic energies started to dissipate.

Exhausted by his effort, Ben leaned against the nearby tree and slumped down to the ground with his back against it. None of the guards were moving. Even the assistant Barbara was out cold now. Ben had prevailed.

* * *

Robert ceased to walk cautiously. Cain and Shaw noticed. They caught up to him as quickly as they could. In the dark it wasn’t easy to see the people, but they noticed the scattered guards sleeping on the ground. Most of their weapons had been scattered well out of reach if they happened to awaken.

Ben spotted the three of them coming his way. He started to gather telepathic strength again. This new telepath approaching him was not someone he knew.

“Whoa, whoa,” said Robert. “I’m on your side. I’m on your side.”

Ben took a moment, but seeing Cain and Shaw he relaxed again.

“Where did you two get to? Last time I talked to Toomey you were missing.”

“Some of our fellow officers seemed to be buddies of the Wizard. They put us in...” Cain stuck on the words.

“Cold storage,” finished Shaw.

“Robert here,” Cain continued, “got us free.”

“Though we’re still missing our badges, guns and cell phones,” Shaw threw in.

“Oh. I see.” Ben struggled back to his feet. “There’s a crippled man in a bed inside the building. He’s no longer telepathic. I can get the names of people he’s been controlling. Maybe we can find your things.”

“I’ve already been clearing out his controls for people on the island,” Robert said.

“That’s good. I really do want to get out of here now. I imagine I’ll be clearing a lot of his controls from people for a while.”

“We’ll stay,” Shaw put in, “and make sure the stuff left behind is cleared up. You know, bring the Wizard in for questioning.”

“Doing that is kind of pointless. It seems he has a genetic nervous system degenerative illness. His doctors gave him maybe another six months to live.”

“Still, learning the reach of his operations is important.”

“We’ll get that for you detective. Just. Not tonight,” Ben turned back towards where he left the boat. Robert trailing along.

* * *

Alison had taken Ben’s armchair. Ben didn’t object. He just settled into the other one. The detectives brought a few of the chairs in from the dinette and Robert had settled on the couch. Ginny and Celia were getting or serving drinks.

Janet and Toomey had just come in the door with two platters from the deli nearby. One was sandwiches, the other was a mixture of appetizers, cheeses, and fruit. Everyone started to dig in a bit on the food. The last couple days were hectic enough no one was the least bit shy about their hunger. Toomey settled in on the other end of the couch from Robert.

“I got something about Carlos, the dark haired guy who’d been spying on me first,” Ben said. “It seems he turned up in the garment district as a laborer and no memory of ever having telepathy. Wreight was certain I’d done that. I didn’t.”

“No, I did that,” said Robert. “He’d been running around doing dirty work for them. He’s the one that grabbed Janet.”

“How long have you been around here?,” Ben asked.

“Long enough. I had some friends tell me telepaths they knew were disappearing. I came to look into it.”

“And you couldn’t tell me you were around?”

“You weren’t a telepath when I showed up.”

“Wait. Just who are you really Robert,” asked Cain.

“I’m not anyone in particular. Just another telepath. I happen to be experienced enough that other telepaths ask me to help.”

“Other telepaths? Do we have to worry about this happening all over again?”

“It happens periodically detective. Most male telepaths when they are activated are between their late teens and late twenties. Like any normal male the first thing they think about using the mental power for is not to dominate the world, but to get sex.”

Ben reddened but didn’t say anything.

“It is something they do grow out of normally. There is an effect of becoming jaded to easy conquests. More often though they end up internally guilty as hell and do things to make up for it on behalf of any they manipulated. Some never grow out of it. But some small few move on to trying to create a power structure.”

“This one,” Ben added, “had developed telepathy late, had experienced being manipulated badly by a few that had been bullies, and was out for both power and revenge. He was getting a particular thrill out of snuffing out the minds of telepaths. I didn’t get an exact number. It was a repeat encounter with one of the telepaths who he encountered before that brought on his psychotic break.”

“Yes, there’s a number of them like that. Something happens and they snap. Women telepaths often have their ability show up when they need to protect themselves. Usually it’s not too bad, but if it happens in the middle of a particularly bad or violent event, they too can have a psychotic break.

Usually though, the women telepaths turn up in their mid twenties and use it for more harmless purposes. Like shopping. Or changing that man they liked into the man they really wanted. Sometimes they go into little business operations and they excel at sales. A small few are yanking in sex slaves for their pleasure. Imagine that.”

“So how long have you been telepathic Robert? How did it start for you?,” asked Alison.

“I’ve been doing this a long time. I’m not going to go into how long. It started for me at a battle as a soldier. I was about to be killed and suddenly it clicked on. No longer important though.”

“What can I expect?,” Alison added. “So far, I’ve only used it to treat patients, or to control that group of thugs that had been following me. What if I need it and I run into someone like Celia who is immune?”

Robert leaned his head back a moment. “Celia isn’t immune.”

Ben perked up again. “Wait. I tried to read her and there’s a very effective barrier keeping me out.”

“Celia isn’t immune. No one is immune. There’s only two kinds of people where it comes to telepathy. Either you don’t have it...”

“Or you do?,” finished Celia.

“Exactly.”

“I don’t read people’s minds and can’t control people,” Celia said.

“What I think happens with people like you Celia,” Robert went on, “Is your telepathy came in when you were too young to have language skills. You probably heard the cacophony of surface thoughts going on around you and subconsciously your mind formed a barrier. A very strong personal shield that would make those things slide away from you.”

“So, does that mean she’ll be able to learn to use it in other ways?,” asked Alison.

“She already has. To some extent.”

“How have I used it already?”

“Ben mentioned noticing his first day with the telepathy after he’d gotten his coffee at the coffee shop.”

“Hey, that’s where I met Sir,” chimed in Ginny.

Robert looked at Ben, who once again had turned red. “Yes, indeed. But before that, Ben tells me he had another experience.”

“On the elevator,” said Ben.

“On the elevator.” Robert looked back to Celia. “Do you remember having a jolt on the elevator when you and Ben were looking in each other’s eyes?”

“That’s… yes. But that’s a while ago now.”

“I don’t fully know how to explain it, but the two of you formed a bond at that instant. In fact, I think it started much further back and was instigated by your subconscious. Ben?”

“Yeah?”

“You had dreams with Celia figuring prominently. They changed a bit once the telepathy came in.”

“How would you know that?”

“Do you really not recognize me from before our meeting on Governor’s Island?”

Ben tried to search his memories. Memories accessible to a telepath being a lot better than most peoples’.

“You’re the one who spilled the drink.”

“Right. I did some tweaking to activate the telepathic part of your mind.”

“uh. A kick start then.”

“Right. Telepathy doesn’t work in the same dimension as human thought. Peoples’ brains use very low levels of electricity to operate. Telepathy though is an entirely different energy. Think of a piece of plastic wrap. Imagine for a moment that is actually a film of energy that exists in another dimension laid over the top of humanity. Somehow the piece of a telepath’s mind that can touch the membrane can draw on it to perform telepathic activities by connecting through the membrane to other people.”

“Whoa there professor,” said Shaw. “Can we not go through a physics class for this?”

“Okay, the simple way to think of it is there’s a special piece of the brain that can suck up energy that allows it to use telepathy.”

“Is that true of everybody?”

“No. Telepaths are about one in ten thousand in the population. Probably less.”

“But there’s a lot around here!”

“It may seem that way, but think about the population of the area within a hundred miles of us. Over eight million?”

“I see. By that measure we should expect about eight hundred, but they don’t all activate.”

“Right. So I dangled an illusion in front of Ben to distract him and gave a little start up jolt to his telepathic center.”

“The green stone,” Ben said.

“Yes.”

“Why did you want to activate my telepathy?”

“I’m real sorry kid. I was using you as bait. Little did I know you’d turn into a heavy weight on your own.”

Ben just shook his head.

“Well,” said Shaw, “if it makes you feel any better at all, this Wreight fellow is never going to trouble us again. With Robert’s help we’ve cleared up the corruption he created in the police and city hall. The gangs and other folk are going to take a bit of tracking down to handle.”

“I’ll get to them,” said Robert.

“And what about the people who abuse the mind control to commit criminal acts?”

“Detective Cain, there is a level of pragmatism that must be applied. If the government starts hunting down telepaths it will motivate telepaths to take over the government. While some of the crimes aren’t trivial, it is a piece of society at this point. Most of us want to keep the bad boys like Wreight from getting anywhere. There’s a lot more to be worried about from that sort than the crimes you are upset about.”

“I get that there’s worse, but they’re still crimes.”

“I don’t disagree with you. Mind Control is a villain’s superpower. In general, it doesn’t often get to do good deeds. Dr. Moore here has proven it can be used to good deeds. No matter how you think of Ben, his own inward looking nature corrected his ethical attitudes.”

Cain squinted his eyes. “Basically you’re saying nothing can be done.”

“No. I’m saying pragmatically there are limits to action to correct the problem. I don’t have an answer for you that will be satisfactory at this time. So the answer is, deal with it and move along until there is an answer.”

“I guess that’ll have to do. I can’t go around shooting telepaths anyway. Even if Ben refuses to exert mental control over me for trying to shoot him.”

Shaw laughed. “You don’t fool me. You like the kid.”

Toomey grinned too, but Cain scowled a bit before nodding.

“I’ll try this again,” said Ben, “How long have you had telepathy, Robert?”

“Persistent little bugger, ain’tcha?”

“That’s a deflection.”

“That means I’m not telling you. I’ve done this long enough to know better about giving away all my secrets.”

“OH hell, at least I tried.”

He looked at Celia and patted his lap. Grinning, Celia slipped into his embrace. Ginny went over and smoothly folded her legs under herself to sit on the floor at his side. Janet gravitated to stand next to him on the other side.

“You already have all you need though Ben,” said Cain.

“Yes. And now that the nasty guy is gone, I feel better about their safety.”

Robert stood to leave. “Oh, Ben.”

“Yes?”

“I kind of expect you’ll help out if we have another problem around here.”

“How often does that happen?”

“It’s unusual. But as we talked about, there’s a lot of potential telepaths here in New York.”

Robert opened the door and looked at the three policemen.

“Come on, officers, I’ll go downtown with you and we can discuss the remaining ill influences.”

Afterward

He looked at Celia. She had knelt naked in the center of the room. This time Janet and Ginny were next to his chair. Before Celia was a silver collar similar to the one Ginny wore.

Ben smiled, happy to be her Sir.