The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Veiled Threats

by J. Darksong

16.)

“So, well, I just HAD to keep digging, you know?” Jerry said, the receiver held against his ear by his shoulder as he continued to type. “I mean, if I had just acted like I had a set of balls, then maybe she wouldn’t have been abducted in the first place. Yanno? Man... of all the people in the world, I never expected anyone to kidnap Lacie, yanno? That’s why I called in all the favors I had in the keyboard community, trying to unravel who is the mastermind behind all of this cloak and dagger crap. I might end up getting hauled away from my bed one night by men in military uniforms, but at least I will have done everything I could to help make up for my part in all of this.”

Karen Summers sighed deeply, biting back the urge to yell or scream. “Yes, I understand. You feel guilty. I get that. Now... could you PLEASE give me the information I asked for when I fucking CALLED YOU?!? Time is the one luxary we don’t have right now, and before I go up against big grey and ugly again, I want to know who the people are behind him!”

“Oh. Sorry,” Jerry said, sliding his chair over to his laptop computer on the desk away from his mainframe. “Yeah... here it is. As I said before, I managed to untangle that rather complicated web of financial support for this gene-splicing project, and after eliminating all the false leads and shell companies used to funnel the cash through, one name came to the forefront: Wallace Wellsley. SENATOR Wallace Wellsley, the chairman of the Senate’s Finance Committee.” He scrolled down the screen. “You were right, Ms. Summers. It looks as if Congress has called a special session this week in response to all the state and federal installations that have been attacked lately by your friend Zero. The main topic of interest seems to be... heh. Yeah, you called it. It’s a bid to pass a nationwide ID and registration bill for all citizens with super powers.”

“I thought so. And the architect of that bill wouldn’t also happen to be Senator Wellsley, would it?”

“Got it on the first try. None other than the Senator himself.” Jerry sighed. “When I first uncovered his name, I was stumped as to why a US senator so outspoken in his denouncements of having ‘costumed vigilantes’ running around taking the law into their own hands would be secretly funding an operation to turn normal people into Supers! I think the reason for it is obvious now... he intends to garner support to have that damned registration bill pushed through based on the fact that that unstoppable grey skinned brute is on a rampage.”

“Never mind te fact that the Senator himself is the one who directly funded Phelps’ augmentation,” Karen said sullenly. “Damn. This is all playing out like a really bad drama or the plot to a comic strip.”

“Civil Wars arc, actually,” Jerry said immediately. “A conflict between two American Icons, over pretty much the same thing. Tony Stark’s side wanted to register the Supers, feeling it was in everyone’s best interest, and would help standardize training, and prevent having so many loose cannons roaming around uncontrolled. Steve Rogers’ side, however, felt that it was unjustified, and unconstitutional, that it deprived the heroes and heroines that had been risking their lives all this time fighting the bad guys of their civic rights and freedoms, that having their secret identities exposed would make them and the people they cared for targets for every Tom, Dick, and Harry who held a grudge against them.”

Karen blinked. “Um. Okay. Well, thanks for that bit of comic book trivia. I’m going to hang up now and go back to the real world.” Pocketing her cell phone, Ultra Girl took to the air once more.

Hovering over the city, she allowed herself a moment to relax, to let her mind drift. She had fully recovered from the beating she’d taken nearly six months ago, though she still felt the emotional trauma. She would never admit it to anyone, but the thought of facing Zero again scared her shitless.

God... why am I doing this? she asked herself once more. If anything, I should be jetting away as fast as I can, heading to the other side of the country. Instead... here I am, floating just above ground ‘zero’, waiting for him to show up again. And... it’s not as if I could beat him if I came across him again. She sighed softly, rolling over in midair, staring up at the sky. He almost killed me. I almost DIED. He beat me until I was a bloody pulp, and there wasn’t a thing I could do to stop him... the only reason I lived was because he WANTED me to, wanted me to live with that knowlegde and the fear of meeting him again. Well, Phelps, mission accomplished. I AM afraid of facing you again. Even so... I have to face you. I have to stand up to you, even if... even if it costs me my life. Otherwise, I’ll always be afraid...

A sound, soft, indistinct, but definitely out of place, caught her attention. She glanced back down at the earth below, focusing her vision, then sighed in resignation. It’s him. Coming in from the sounth, as expected. I guess I have no choice in the matter now. Besides, it’s better to go ahead and get this over with. At least out here, in all this dry empty desolate space, the only one to get hurt will be me...

* * *

Ana Albinn was making her upstairs when she suddenly stiffened, pausing in midstep. She gasped, then groaned softly, shaking her head. Her companion noticed immediately, and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Ana? Did you see something?” Veronica asked, concerned. “What is it? What’s going on?”

The older woman shook her head to clear it. “He’s here,” she said simply, heading back down the stairs. “Come on. Ultra Girl needs our help. Oh, and bring your cell. We need to let Parker know to get back here as soon as he can.”

“Gotcha,” Roni said, heading back downstairs as well, unbuttoning her blouse as she went. “I think I’ll also let Jerry know, if he doesn’t already. Zero is a serious threat. With Omega Girl, Armor Man, and your sister all still a few hours away from arriving back home, we may need to call in the reserves. Not that there’s much chance of there being any Supers in the nearby area arriving in time to be of any help... but who knows? We may get lucky.”

Outside, Ana started the car, and waited for the ninja to slip inside. “Let’s hope so. The future is looking a bit cloudy at the moment. And from the tiny glimpse I received a monent ago, I’d definitely say the odds are against us.”

* * *

Tina Patrick was flipping through her notes on the power converter’s performance when a loud beeping sounded from the desk across from her. She immediately picked up the pager, checked it to confirm the message, then ran over to her closet. Kneeling down, she removed the heavy metal case from its hiding place far in the back. She took it back to her bed, but hesitated to open it. Fear twisted her insides into a knot, and she had to force her breathing back to normal though an effort of will.

Dammit. My hands are even sweating. Shit. This is ridiculous. It’s just a stupid helmet... just a collection of circuits and wires, diodes, resistors, capacitors and transformers. Putting this on my head again isn’t going to transform me into that person again. I’m not... her. I’m not Cybertina anymore! That was just... that was a mistake. An altered mental state caused by that accident. She rubbed her palms vigorously against her blouse. Putting this on won’t turn me into an evil revenge-crazed psycho. It’s perfectly safe. It’s perfectly safe.

Forcing herself into action, she opened the case. The plastic and metal helmet sat calmly in its box, waiting. After a moment, realizing she was holding her breath, Tina let out a shaky laugh. This is beyond ridiculous. It’s just a tool, nothing more. And wearing this will help Parker and the others stop Phelps from hurting anyone else.

Holding ut in her hands, she started to place it over her head, then paused. I guess I should lock my door. I have the day off, and I told everyone I didn’t want to be disturbed, but I should probably make sure no one can poke their head in. Door locked, she returned to her bed, and finding no other reason to procrastinate, she finally placed the helmet on her head. The microfiber fillaments slid painlessly into her skin, connecting and integrating with her nerve endings. The special visor slid down over her eyes as the device’s software began booting up, and she felt a moment of disorientation as the helmet begin beaming information directly into her brain.

Uggghhh... whoa... uhnnn... forgot how... dizzying it can be when this thing... first comes online...

Suddenly, her vision cleared as her brain adjusted to the input. She found herself staring at the back of a storage container, and realized she was seeing through the visial scanners of the Exo-Armor the helmet was linked to. Now, let’s see if I can make this thing move, she thought, slowly raising her left arm. The helmet sent to and received data from the armor in a fraction of a second, and after a momentary feeling of resistance, the armor responded, raising it’s left arm as well. Tina laughed in glee, staring down at the cobalt blue metallic guantlet that was her hand. Using her other hand, she cracked her ‘knuckles’ lightly.

Wow. This is actually kind of fun. It’s like a video game... a weird kind of sci-fi first person shooter. If some grey skinned psychopath wasn’t about to rampage his way through downtown River City, I’d love to spend the day exploring this suit’s potential. Oh well... I guess there’s no better way to see what this baby can do than giving it a field test. Now, let’s see if I can make this baby fly...

* * *

“...and that’s when I landed in your hotel room,” Lacie finished, leaning back in her seat. “I hadn’t really planned on teleporting myself to you that way. Hell, I didn’t even know I could teleport until it happened! All I wanted was to get back to you two as quickly as I could... and I was still charged with juice from putting Grandma in her place.” She shrugged. “It took a lot out of me. Suffice it to say, I won’t be trying anything like that again anytime soon.”

“I should hope so,” Eugene replied from the seat across from her. “If you’d stayed unconscious much longer, I would have called for an ambulance! Love, ye cannae keep doing things like this... my heart can’t take the strain!”

The women laughed softly. “Oh come on,” Eva said with a smirk. “You’re exaggerating, Gene. I told you when she collapsed that she was just sleeping, that she only collapsed from exhaustion, not because of an injury or anything. You were making a mountain out of a mole hill.”

“Oh? You’re one to talk,” Gene countered, crossing his arms. “When she appeared out of thin air that way, you nearly lost yer wee little mind! I nearly had to prepare the other bed for you! I thought you were going to collapse the way Lacie did!”

Melissa chuckled. “He has a point, sweetie. I’ve rarely seen you look so pale... and consiering that your entire look and motiff is about white, that’s saying something.”

Eva blushed brightly. “I didn’t faint, did I? And anyway... that was one rather extraordinary entrance. It’s not so surprising that I reacted that—” She frowned, pausing in mid sentence, head tilted slightly to the side, as if listening to something. She then sighed deeply. “Well, my friends, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that our friends back home were able to finish piecing together the one behind everything we’ve been going through these past several months... aside from Lacie’s encounter with her long lost family, that is.” She gave her friend a wink. “According to Jerry, who’d decided he’s on board with us again once he heard about Lacie disappearing, Dr, MacDonald’s funding originated from Capital Hill alright... from the government funded wallet of one Senator Wallace Wellsley.”

“Wellsley!” Lacie said with a growl. “Damn. Well, I guess it’s really no surprise that out of the entirity of Congress he’d be the one responsible.” She shook her head. “Looks like we’re going to need to take a trip to Washington D.C. then. So, what’s the bad news?”

“The bad news is that Phelps popped up just outside of the River City border. Sis and the gang is rushing out to meet him, to try and hold him off until we can get there to lend a hand.” Eva sighed. “From the mental impression I got from Ana, things don’t look so good. Ultra Girl is out there on the front lines right now, and the others are at least ten minutes away.”

“Damn. And we’ve still got at least another hour of flight time before we arrive,” Gene grumbled. “Bloody hell. It’ll all be over but the shouting by the time this jet touches down.”

“Not necessarily,” Lacie said, standing up from her seat. She began to glow slightly, powering up. “I think I can help even the odds a bit.”

“Wait a minute!” Gene yelled, getting up as well. “Yer not going to... I dunno, try and teleport the entire plane, are ye?”

The glow brightened, then faded. “Nothing like that,” Omega Girl replied, shaking out his golden locks. “I can fly a lot faster than this jet can. I’ll dive out of the back and fly down and lend the kids a hand. With a little luck, the lot of us should be able to hold out until you two get there to back us up.”

“No way I’m letting you go off like that,” Gene said, reaching down underneath his seat.

Lacie frowned, crossing her legs. “Gene, I know you’re still a bit concerned about letting me go off alone after recent events, but the kids really need help down there. I can’t just sit idly by for the next hour twiddling my thumbs! I have to get down there now!”

“And so you shall,” Gene replied, pulling out a large metal briefcase from beneath the seat. “But ye willnae be going alone. I’m coming with you.” A quick flick of the latch, and the briefcase unfolded, seperating into several pieces of Armor Man’s armor components. “Considering all the trouble we’ve had lately,” he replied, removing his shirt and pants, revealing the skin tight wire mesh underneath, “I decided to come prepared. Give me a second to suit up and we can depart.”

“Wow! Great!” Omega Girl said, then frowned, glancing at Eva. “Okay, that takes care of two of us, but what about Eva? She can’t fly, and jumping out without a parachute, letting one of us catch her isn’t going to work.”

“Don’t worry about me,” Eva insisted. “I have my part covered. We’re just about close enough that I can Astral Project my consciousness down to ground zero. Which is probably for the best anyway—my psychic powers make me more of a ‘ranged’ combatant, rather than a melee fighter like you two.”

“Alright then,” Gene said, sliding on his helmet, activating the molecular bindings in his armor, sealing it tight. “Guess it’s decided. Eva, let the others know we’re coming, and keep us posted on the situation.”

“And I’ll stay here and watch over Eva’s body while her spirit joins the rest of you,” Mel said, patting her lover’s arm.

“Right. Um... I have just one question, though,” Eva said, glancing around the cabin. “Just how do you two... disembark... from a pressurized jet flying over the mountains without causing the whole thing to implode and crash in a fiery wreck?”

“Again, I thought ahead,” Armor Man replied, moving to a small panel at the back of the cabin. Pressing a few button caused a small hatch to slide away, and large metallic tube began to descend from the ceiling. “One pressurized escape tube, ready for launching,” he said with a chuckle. He bowed slightly at the waits, gesturing at the tube. “After you, Omega Girl.”

Eva rolled her eyes as the display, then sighed softly as her two friends departed. “Okay. Now it’s my turn. And love, be a dear and NOT play with my pussy while I’m out of my body. I can still FEEL everything that happens to it while I’m in my Astral form... and as much fun as it is, it is very distracting.”

Melissa pouted slightly. “Alright. I’ll TRY and be a good girl. Just make sure you come back to me in one piece.”

Eva nodded. Alright. Now... if they both go full out, they should make it there in about ten to fifteen minutes. That gives us Parker, Veronica, Anastasia, Karen, Eugene, Lacie, and myself. A nice assortment of powers, yes... but I still think we need something more. She considered the options, then sighed deeply. There’s no other way around it. I doubt she’ll help, but I at least have to try. We just might need her help. Closing her eyes, focusing her mind, Eva sent out a psychic probe, then, finding her target, sent her consciousness towards the woman...

* * *

Elise groaned deeply as she half-fell down onto the lumpy second hand couch she’d rented, kicking her shoes off to prop her feet up on the coffee table. Her bad day had begun at roughly 6:30am when the showerhead came off in the middle of her shower, and from there, had gone steadily worse. She hated working the swing shift at Denny’s, hated how the only customers she seemed to get at that time were all rednecks that always gave her the same tire old pickup lines, hated the was the smoke and grease from the kitchen seemed to cling to her, even once she clocked out for the night and came home. Most of all, she hated what her life had become, and the person she was turning into.

She’d niavely thought her life would go back to normal afteer escaping from MacDonald’s clutches, but showing back up on campuse after so many weeks away, she’d been treated to a brutal dose of reality. She’d only been able to attend the University though a partial scholarship and several federal grants, all of which were revoked once the adminstrators were notified that she’s stopped going to classes. She’d explained the situation, and they were very sympathetic to her plight, at being abducted and kidnapped against her will... but rules were still rules, and there was simply no way she would be able to catch up on all the work she’d missed. They encouraged her to appeal the decision at the start of the next semester, but for the time being she simply couldn’t continue to attend class or stay in the dorm. In short, they’d kicked her out on her ear.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I was able to get the job that I have now, she thought moroasely. Considering the state of things in this damned recession, I could just as easily ended up sleeping in some back alley in a cardboard box waiting for the soup kitchen to open. She sighed. Not that she would have ever let things get that bad. As much as she resisted the idea of depending on her unwanted ‘abilities’ to get by, deep down she knew that if push came to shove, she’d turn to crime before she starved.

And after a day like today, that prospect is seeming better and better, she thought wearily, switching on her small fifteen inch television.

::Well, I admire your convictions if nothing else,:: a familiar voice spoke into Elise’s head, causing her to scowl. ::Given the choice of becoming a supervillian, or living in such... ahem... bohemian surroundings, I’m pretty sure I’d have robbed my first bank weeks ago.::

“Well, well, if it isn’t the woman who’s butt I kicked come to gloat,” Elise said aloud. “Go ahead. Make jokes, laugh at my expense, have your fun. I suppose I deserve it for what I did to you. I suppose it’s some kind of karmic payback for everything I did while I was the Doctor’s obedient lap dog. Just remember, blondie... karma’s a double-edged sword. If you’ve come here to torment me for how I treated you—”

::No, no, quite the opposite, actually,:: Eva cut in, appearing as a fuzzy, indistinct ghost. I’ve come here... to ask for your help.

Elise blinked “My help? You want MY help?” She laughed. “Look around, lady! I’m not in much of a position to help myself, let alone anyone else!”

::But you ARE in such a position,:: Eva insisted. ::I’m sure you’ve been keeping track of the news repoerts. You have to know that James Phelps has returned.::

“Zero?” Elise said with a frown. “Yeah, I’ve noticed. It’s kind of hard NOT to notice when the news if plastered with his big ugly grey mug practically 24/7. It’s not even a local issue anymore now—it’s a national issue now. CNN and CNBS are all about som goverment lobby to force though some stupid Supers Registration Act bill.”

::Yes, well, the issue is quite complex and convoluted, and I can explain it to you sometime later, but the issue for the moment is Stopping Zero, He is here, now, at the outskirts of the city. A couple of the city’s Supers have come out to try and stop him, and more are on the way... but frankly we could use your help as well.::

“No,” Elise replied immediately. “No. Sorry, but that’s not what I do. Risking my life? Sticking my neck out? Putting my life on the line to help a city full of strangers that couldn’t care less about me? No way.” She shook her head. “It’s like I told that Parker guy—I’m not a bad guy. But I’m no hero either. I just want to be left alone. I just want to pick up the shattered pieces of my former existance and go on with my life.”

::I see. How disappointing:: Eva said softly. Her form began to shimmer and pulse, beginning to fade. ::You know, I wasn’t always one of the good guys myself. Only a strange twist of fate, and the intervention of a dear friend kept me from going futher down the dark path, and I’ve been trying to make up for my mistakes ever since. And I didn’t start out trying to be a villian. I started out by being selfish... being only concerned with my own well-being. It’s a slippery slope, Elise. You already took a life. You KILLED MacDonald, the man that changed you, tormented you. What’s next? Remember, it doesn’t take much to go from looking after and caring for one’s self, to caring ONLY about one’s self, and no one else...::

The blonde psychic left, and Elise sighed deeply, lowering her head. Her words had hit the mark, and it stung... but her guilt was enough of a motivator for her to rush out and get beaten to death. Angry now, as well as frustrated, she clicked off the television. Dammit! What right does she have to preach to me like that? How can she possibly blame me for putting an end to Doctor MacDonald after what he did? To her as well as to me, and all the other helpless people he experimented on? Does that mean I need to spend the rest of my life paying penance for an act that was completely justified? She growled softly, hands clenching tightly, beginning to glow with the unconscious summoning of her powers. With an effort, she forced herself to relax.

No. This isn’t my fight. I feel bad for them, yeah... but I don’t need to get involved. It wouldn’t make any difference if I did, anyway. All I want is to try and get my life back together again... and put all of this behind me.

* * *

Ultra Girl sat up, running a hand along the side of her cheek. It stung, and she had no doubt she’d be sporting an ugly bruise there by tomorrow. Her costume was torn... again... the durable kevlar weave ripped and snagged from her repeated impacts against the hard stony ground. Damn him. These costumes don’t just grown on trees. And it’s not like I can just drop it off at the closest tailor chop and have it mended! Brushing the dust from her hands, she propelled herself upwards, hovering several feet off the ground.

“So? Decided to go airbourne, did you?” Zero yelled out, smirking. “Think that will give you an advantage?”

Not really, Karen thought dimly, considering the fact that I was floating overhead, pelting you with laser fire when you leaped up and snatched me right out of the air. Aloud she replied, “Just keeping my distance, Big Boy. Fighting you is hazardous to my wardrobe! This is the last costume I have left... all the rest are still at the cleaners.”

Phelps laughed. “Oh, you’re a funny girl. It’s almost a shame I have to rip you apart with my bare hands!”

Karen shuddered slightly. She remembered those hands. She remembered them all too well from the last time he’d managed to get a solid grip on her. Fear began welling up inside her, but she forced it down. “I’m not afraid of you, Phelps!” she yelled, defiantly, more to herself that to her opponent. “I’m not going to let you get to me. Not this time!” Pointing her hands out towards him, she began letting loose with a barrage of high energy laser blasts.

“You talk as if you had any choice in the matter!” Phelps shouted back, feeling his anger begin to rise. The laser blasts, had they been able to penetrate his body’s energy aura, would have done as much damage to his flesh as a flashlight. Pain wasn’t the issue. No, he felt insulted by the pathetic amount of effort she was showing in trying to stop him. She was disrespecting him... and NO ONE disrespected James Phelps. Not anymore. Kneeling down, he took hold of a large rock, weighing about fifty or sixty pounds, and fitting nicely in the palm of his large misshapen hands. With no effort at all, he flung it towards her, intending to bring her down once more.

Ultra Girl saw it coming, however, and focused her beams, incinerating the rock before it reached her. She allowed herself a moment of satisfaction. She was starting to get to him, starting to frustrate him. Backup was only a few minutes away. Perhaps she really COULD do this after all. All she needed to do was to keep him off guard, and let his anger overwhelm him and cloud his thinking. All she had to do was hold out until the cavalry arrived.

“Throwing rocks?” she called down at him, smirking. “Is that the best you can do? If you’re trying so hard to imitate an orge or a troll, you should really complete the look and get yourself an oversized club with a few nails sticking in it!”

That did it. “I’M NOT A FUCKING MONSTER!!” Zero bellowed loudly, his vision turning scarlet once more. “I’m SMASH you! CRUSH you! RIP you limb from limb!” he snarled, leaping skyward, arms outstretched. In just the position Karen wanted him.

“Not THIS time, you son of a bitch!” Ultra Girl shot back, unleashing the energy she’d been subtuly building for the past several minutes. She fired her most powerful laser bolt at point-blank range, directly into Phelps’ face in the middle of his jump. The behemoth was caught completely off-guard, and in mid-air, was unable to brace himself of guard against the attack. Burning searing light and heat arrested his upward motion, propelling him badkwards, sending him rocketing back down to the ground below.

Ultra Girl sagged from the effort, nearly dropping back to the ground herself. With an effort, she maintained her altitude, learning from experience not to let down her guard and simply assume her foe was vanquished. Her prudence paid off as, moments later, a loud angry bellow of rage erupted from the center of the scorched crater Phelps’ impact had created.

“STUPID FUCKING BITCH!!” he screamed, literally frothing at the mouth. “I’LL KILL YOU!” Rage fueled his strength as he leaped skyward again, and this time Ultra Girl had to swiftly dart to the side, managing to avoid him by the narroest of margins. Landing, he immediately leaped skyward once more, again, just barely missing her,

Shit! He’s really pissed now. I better get some altitude! she thought, moving several hundred feet higher.

“YOU WON’T GET AWAY FROM ME!” Phelps roared, rearing back, both arms outstretched. With a savage sweep of his arms, he brought both of his misshapen hands together in a titanic CLAP, sending a concussive shockwave outward in all directions. Karen had just enough time to question what he was doing when the shock wave struck her. Stunned, she plummeted back down to the ground, landing atop some scrub brush, signifigantly cushioning her fall but further tearing her constume. She groaned weakly, the wind knocked out of her, and managed a quick glance upwards as Phelps’ shadow crept over her. The grey-skinned brute raised both fists high, preparing to deliver a pound her like a tent stake, and she closed her eyes.

Damn. Looks like... he got me. But I didn’t cower. At least you can’t call me a coward...

A loud crash sounded as Phelps’s smashed down, obliterating the shubbery, leaving a heavy wet imprint on the stony groud. The villian grunted, doing a double-take, staring stupidly at the small crater, and the lack of blood. “Huh? How... did I miss?” He glanced sharply to the left, then grunted again. Ultra Girl floated a few feet away, still alive and in one piece... hovering, yes, but not on her own power. A few feet away, he noticed an attractive blonde woman dressed in red and black, one hand outstretched towards the semi-conscious heroine, the other pressed lightly against her temple. Ultra Girl floated slowly towards the blonde, landing gently at her feet.

“There, now, hon,” Anastasia said gently, “it’s okay. We’re here to help. Sorry it took us so long, but you kind of started the party without us.”

“Yeah, well,” Karen said wearily, shaking out the cobwebs, “you know me. I’m not exactly known for my patience.”

“Yes, well, they say patience is a virtue,” Ana chided. “Another few seconds and that might have ended up carved on your tombstone.”

“I’ll carve it on BOTH of your tombstones,” Phelps growled, stepping towards the pair. “I recognize the face, blondie, if not the clothes. Don’t you usually sport an all while wardrobe?”

Ana scowled. “That’s my wtin sister, Eva. I don’t do the ‘cape and cowl’ thing anymore under normal circumstances, so you’ll have to excuse my lack of a traditional costume. This black and red ensemble was the best I could do on short notice.”

“Doesn’t matter,” Phelps said with an evil grin, cracking his knuckles. “You’re about to be the same as your clothes—black and blue and red all over!” He reared back to swing at her... but his arm refused to move forward. Grunting, he jerked at his arm, but it remained frozen in place. Ana merely smiled at him.

“Sorry. I think we have a little something to say about that. My telekenesis is keeping you in stasis, unable to use those overgrown fists of yours. I may not be able to take you down, Mr. Phelps, but I can certainly keep you at bay long enough—”

“Long enough for what?” Phelps roared, angrily. With a slight shudder, he pulled his frozen arm free, causing Ana to wince in pain. “You pitiful little fool! My power continues to grow and grow by the moment. My strength is beyond your weak little powers! I cannot be stopped, by you or anyone!” He reared back to strike again, only to once more freeze in place, gasping loudly, his eyes bulging out of their sockets.

“You really should learn to let people finish their sentences,” Ana said with a sad shake of her head. “I was saying, I can certainly keep you at bay long enough... for my partner to strike at you from behind.” She grinned. “How are you doing, Shinobi? Do you have him?”

The ninja girl scowled slightly, holding her psychic-bladed wrist with her free hand. “Not... really... he’s a bit hard... to hold... onto... even with my blade... in the back... of his... skull!” With a savage yell, she twisted the blade, then jerked it free. Zero’s eyes rolled up until only the whites were showing, teetering slightly before falling face down to the ground. Shinobi stepped back, panting heavily, dropping down to one knee.

“Wow... that was... intense,” she said, fanning herself lightly. “It looks like we were right... about his mind being his achilles heel... but damn, even his MIND is powerful beyond belief! A few more seconds, and I think he might have broken free with nothing more than sheer unbridled rage.” She rose back to her feet again. “How’s Ultra Girl doing?”

“I’m okay,” Karen answered with a sigh. “Just a few bumps and bruises. I was actually doing pretty good, shooting at him from the air, until he unleashed a new trick.” She shook her head. “Whatever you do, don’t let this guy clap near you. Talk about applause to bring the house down, and I really mean that literally.”

“Okay. Well, he’s down. What do we do with him now?” Ana asked, grsturing towards the motionless brute. “I doubt he’ll stay down long, and we don’t exactly have any way of keeping him confined. What do we do if he wakes up?”

“You... die...” Phelps gasped, sitting up suddenly. He rubbed at the back of his head. “That’s what happens... when I wake up.” His body began to glow with a pale white light, and such a thing were possible, his massively muscled bulk grew even more ripped. He took a single step forward, and the ground shook. “YOU,” he rasped, emphasizing each word with another booming step foward, “WILL. ALL. DIE!”