The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

I want to thank Chrystal Wynd for allowing me to explore this idea. Without his permission and enthusiasm, it never could have worked out. Plus his excellent writing serves as inspiration for authors everywhere to enjoy the dumb, make the mind numb, and let the girls appreciate the... well you get the point. Enjoy.

KPK :)

Welcome to Kristal Heights

Part 1: The Solution

Mayor Wesley Williams rubbed at his temples as he leaned back in his seat. He looked out across the council chambers, noting the multitude of empty chairs. He watched Ginger Harris handing out the information pamphlets she’d researched and put together for today’s vote. This was what everything had come to. This was where his town would either sink or rise above the surface in one last desperate survival breath.

“Here you are Mr. Mayor.” Ginger said, handing him a stapled stack of papers.

“Thanks, Ginger. Good job on all this. I know it wasn’t easy.”

She smiled and continued on down the row, handing each of the voting council members the information they would need to make this decision.

Mayor Williams had to respect Ginger. She was young, just shy of twenty, but she had incredible pride in her town. Even in these dark days lately, Ginger Harris never grew frustrated. She had even foregone college to better serve her hometown. He hated that for her, because if there was one thing that could be said about Ginger, it was that she was a sharp, intelligent young woman. Nobody could take that away from her.

Wesley looked down at the papers in front of him. He read the cover letter and looked over the graphs visually showing the decline in population, the decline in tourism, and the spiraling deficit of even running the town. Everything was going to hell. It had been for nearly eight years. The economy had slumped, then slumped some more, then on top of that, when the worst seemed over, it slumped some more.

The town of Krisburg needed a lifeline, some saving redemption from a fate it seemed destined to suffer. That’s where Ginger Harris came in. She’d researched tirelessly, studying charts and graphs from all across the country. Every detail had been studied, every option explored. Today was the day when the town would vote whether to follow that plan.

The mayor looked out over the crowd once more, if one could really call twenty or so business owners a crowd. Krisburg had never been large, barely ever surging past 7000, but in eight years that number had dwindled quickly to barely 1000 people. It was as if someone let a plug loose and everyone simply drained away. Most left for perfectly good reasons. The big factories closed which cost hundreds of jobs. The only businesses left were restaurants and bars, and service stations, and churches. None of those exactly offered much to keep people moving into town.

Tourism was where the key lay. Mayor Wesley Williams knew that and had been the one to mention it at a prior council meeting. Krisburg was a small town but there was an abundance of surrounding nature, mountains, valleys, fresh-flowing streams, hiking trails. That was an industry Krisburg usually excelled at. Unfortunately being the only industry left in town, it just hadn’t proven enough to support the local economy.

Wesley was just flipping pages, still studying the radical plan Ginger was proposing, when she tapped him on the shoulder. He turned to nearly get a face full of red hair. At least everyone knew where her name came from.

“Yes?” He asked.

“Mayor, I think we’re ready. Would you like to open the meeting?”

He looked out at the group who’d gathered. It was a sad lot, and just a reminder of the sad state of affairs this town had going for it. If Ginger’s plan worked, a lot of people would be more than grateful. This town would owe her more than they could ever repay.

“Sure, okay.” He said.

Ginger went and sat a few seats down as Wesley Williams stood and stepped over to a podium. He waited for the others to settle and then forced a smile.

“Welcome, friends, neighbors, and all the proud citizens of Krisburg. I know this meeting is not under the most ideal circumstances. I realize there is a cloud hanging over us, one we seem unable to move out from under. But I want to assure you, we have not given up on this town. Sure, there have been dark days, terrible downturns, and losses to all of us. But we will persevere. We will overcome. And we will move forward.”

He paused as a small smattering of applause broke out.

“I know many of you who own businesses are concerned about sticking with the town, and I wouldn’t blame you for that. There is due concern. The economy isn’t what it used to be. Our town is a different place than it once was. But thankfully, we have one young citizen and tireless worker who has done exhaustive research to help alleviate the suffering we’re currently under. I want to recognize Ginger Harris. Please give her your attention and I’d ask that any and all questions please wait until she’s finished.”

Mayor Williams motioned to Ginger and she stood, nervously looking down over her glasses. She was always rather bookish and reserved but in cases where the attention was directed her way, she seemed to shrink away a bit. As she stepped up to the podium, those gathered clapped and smiled. Wesley Williams leaned in next to her ear.

“Don’t worry. Just tell them what you told me. I’m sure everyone will understand.”

She nodded and forced a smile, even though her nervousness at being up in front of a crowd was very plain. As the applause died down, she began.

“Thank you Mayor Williams, and thank you everyone for your time.”

She brushed some hair behind one ear and pushed her glasses up.

“Krisburg has always been a top tourist town in our state. It’s nothing outstanding in the national sense but we’ve never done badly and that is what I propose we capitalize on now, in this time of instability. If there’s one thing everyone can agree on, the town is still as beautiful as ever. Those who find their way here are always pleasantly surprised and many of them stick around. The hotel is always booked in the summers and the local restaurants and bars have always benefited from that. ”

Several of the business owners all nodded in approval.

“The only problem is, according to the latest statistics from the US board of tourism, Krisburg suffers from a major flaw, a weakness that has made our overall numbers dwindle over the past few years. If we don’t make a change, and soon, these numbers will continue to dwindle and we’ll lose our one last chance at a future and saving this town.”

There was discussion amongst the crowd, several shaking their heads and a few whispering to each other. Ginger continued.

“The pamphlets of information I handed out have all the latest data on how threatening this is to the future of Krisburg. All of us are at risk in what we do, what we love, if we don’t make changes soon. Now I know the change I have suggested is a bit nontraditional, a bit outside the norm. But trust me, I collected information from resources all across the country, going back years and years. I made trips to surrounding communities and read countless articles and news stories.”

She paused for dramatic flair, a move Wesley respected as he did so himself many times in campaign speeches.

“What we need to do is consider changing the name of our town.”

Again there was a sudden outburst of talking, of community discussion. Wesley Williams found himself surprised and pleased that most of the discussion seemed to be positive. He hardly heard any grumbling as he’d been nervous about.

“Just what should we change our name to, in your opinion?” Chelsea Hammond asked.

Chelsea ran the diner and had for nearly twenty years. Her daughters Becky and Sarah worked as waitresses there. It was a family run business and naturally one that would have to support this initiative if it were to work.

“I’m glad you asked,” Ginger said. “I intentionally left that information out of the pamphlets as it’s a rather sensitive issue. As you know, there are countless cities and towns across the country that people think of when they imagine a must-see location. New York, LA, Chicago, these are all big cities. Naturally the names of any of them wouldn’t apply or make sense here. Krisburg needed something that might sound appropriate for us and yet would instantly stick with people when they heard it.”

She flipped through some papers in front of her.

“Now on your graphs you’ll see the popularity by travel destination of medium to small towns in the United States over the past ten years. Follow the lines and see how most have fluctuated, some years better, some years worse. Branson, for example has maintained a steady popularity during hard times. But if you’ll look closely, one location has far surpassed all others. It has experienced more growth than any city in the country. And tourism is a major booming industry there, so much so that name recognition is one of their simplest means of advertising.”

Several hands raised and Ginger looked out at the crowd.

“Yes, Mr. Cullens?” She asked, pointing to the middle-aged man who ran the service station.

“I see the one you’re talking about, but all it says is CH. What exactly is CH?”

“Yeah, which city is that?” Another town member shouted.

Ginger smiled, looked nervously to Mayor Williams, then cut right to the facts.

“Has anyone ever heard of Chrystal Heights?”

Wesley was shocked at how sudden and loud the group became. Everyone seemed to not only have heard about the place, but to know one of the many stories about what went on there. As the crowd calmed and Ginger went on, he wondered how her suggestion might play out.

“Chrystal Heights has boomed when other towns have been swallowed up in debt. They have had questionable businesses and received some interesting press for legal matters concerning their judge, but nobody can deny that Chrystal Heights is an attractive destination. It seems at least you’ve all heard of it. No matter how you may feel, you must admit, the name Chrystal Heights gets attention. Every year, more travelers head to Chrystal Heights than any other place in America. More college students spend spring break there than any other destination in the world. And more young couples honeymoon there than any traditional romantic locale you could list. Let’s face it, all the businesses we have remaining could be saved by just a tenth of the regular income Chrystal Heights receives.”

There seemed to be some more discussion, several nods in agreement, and hardly any dissension in the room. Maybe this would really work out, Mayor Williams thought. Maybe there was hope for this town.

“So, are you suggesting we take their name? Isn’t that a little unethical?” Chelsea asked.

“Oh no, not at all.” Ginger said. “We shouldn’t simply take their name. And yes, that would be a bit wrong. I’m more suggesting we alter our existing name to better capitalize on the recognition factor. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind us riding on their coat tails just a little. Besides, once people arrive and see how beautiful our town is, they won’t be disappointed.”

A hand raised and Ginger recognized Howard Jessup, owner of the local billiard bar.

“So how would you alter the town name? And do you really think this will help?”

“Mr. Jessup, I’m positive that this tactic will work. And we aren’t the first to come up with it. Not long ago, the town of Beaver up north changed their name due to some embarrassment over connotations associated with it. They experienced a dramatic 60% increase in business from out of town the following year. I’m positive that we can surpass that and experience a quick and permanent revitalization by simply changing our name to one that people know when they hear it.”

Again Ginger Harris looked to the mayor, her eyes wide, but confident. Turning to the suddenly very attentive crowd, she took a breath.

“As you know, Krisburg was named after its founder Kris Talbot. I suggest to better make use of both the founder and the name recognition of Chrystal Heights, that we change the name to Kristal Heights.”

Several people laughed and nodded, a few turning to their neighbors. Wesley Williams noted that Chelsea Hammond and her daughters all seemed to smile at the name. Even old Mr. Cullens seemed responsive to the name.

Ginger turned and looked over at Mayor Williams, her tense posture telling him she’d maintained composure enough in front of this group alone. He stood and walked over next to her.

“Okay folks, let’s calm down and get right to the issue at hand. Ginger here has done a lion’s share of the work and I for one am proud of all she does for this town. Her research and intelligence can’t be questioned in this matter. But what can be is the actual changing of Krisburg to Kristal Heights. I will assure everyone that the budget already has allowed for easily enough money to make the basic changes, street signage, getting the word out to local and national tourism boards. All we need from you, the citizens, today is a vote. Are you in favor of this measure proceeding as proposed?”

There was brief discussion and Howard Jessup raised his hand.

“Yes. Mr. Jessup?” Mayor Williams said.

“I move we accept the proposal as written and presented. Ginger Harris seems to have a good head on her shoulders and I for one trust that this will help our town.”

The mayor nodded and looked out over the crowd. “Seconded? Anyone?”

This time it was Becky Hammond, Chelsea’s older daughter, who raised her hand.

“Yes?”

“I second the motion. I believe it sounds like a wonderfully creative plan.”

Mayor Wesley Williams nodded over at Ginger, then looked out over the crowd.

“Okay then, all in favor say ‘yay’.”

He took note of the reverberation in the room as all those present shouted out in the affirmative.

“And those opposed, say ‘nay’.”

The room was silent. It had worked, he realized. Ginger’s plan and presentation had worked. He was shocked in one way, but then completely understood what desperation could do to a town. He smiled with pride and looked from the crowd over to the council members seated beside him.

“Motion carried. Your council and I will meet now to discuss the processes required for changing the town name. As it stands though, these will be minor issues. I want to thank all of you for showing up today.”

Several of the townsfolk began gathering their things. He noted that Ginger Harris was beaming and she had every right to be. If it wasn’t for her, Krisburg may have faded away. As it was, a new chapter was about to arise and in that chapter the new town would see how it managed.

“Everyone,” Mayor Williams said. “May I be the first to say, welcome to Kristal Heights! May we experience all the growth and expansion of that other successful town.”

To Be Continued...