The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Title: White Holes and Other Problems

(MC, MD, MF, FF, TS)

Chapter 2: The Importance of Turning Things Off

WARNING: For those bored by plot, you may want to skip ahead. Most of the action is in later chapters.

* * *

A few days after Jeremey wrote about his dream, Jeremy and Anindia finally completed their work on the prototype. “Let’s turn it on and see if we can make some black holes!” Jeremy joked.

Anindia missed the joke entirely and said excitedly, “Or better yet, white holes!”

“Isn’t that what you call a bastard cop who pulls you over and asks if you’re an illegal from Mexico?” Unfortunately, in our small town, the cops didn’t like brown people. Nor could they tell the difference between an Indian and a Mexican if their life depended on it. Sadly, Anindia had to deal with more than his fair share of American stupidity.

Anindia laughed and said, “Oh no, no, Jeremy. A white hole is like the reverse of a black hole. Where a black hole would pull all matter to it, a white hole would push matter away.”

“Anindia, you remember I am a geometer? I know all about Lorentzian manifolds that satisfy Einstein’s equations in a mass-less universe. I may not know the first thing about quantum entanglement or particle collisions, but I do know what a white hole is. What I think is really cool is the way they would warp Minkowski space-time.” Jeremy said.

Jeremy went on, “For someone who falls into a black hole, general relativity tells us that they see the progression of time in the universe accelerate until they have seen the whole history of the universe in a finite time. But to the observer watching the person fall, it is as if time slows to a stop and they are frozen at a point near the event horizon.”

Anindia picked up on the thought and went on, “Ah, so from the perspective of the person in the white hole, all the universe is standing still. Ah! very interesting indeed. Unfortunately for this person, they experience eons of time in what is just a moment for everyone else. They would eventually just die, and the rest of the universe would just find a pile of dust where they fell. So let’s see if they exist, but let’s not get caught in one.”

They turned it on and realized something was wrong immediately. The first test should have had the particles collide in less than a second. They were looking for a proof of concept at this point, not new physics.

“Shit” Anindia cursed. He had become increasingly nervous that the project wouldn’t work and that he would be tossed out of the University. It was too close to the end of the deadline to start some new project from scratch. Anindia stormed out. Jeremy went after him immediately. Jeremy caught up to him outside his office. They went in and commiserated about their pending unemployment. They talked for about an hour, at which point they noticed the lights in the student union start to flicker.

Jeremy realized he followed Anindia without shutting off the collider. Which meant, by now, it would be consuming massive amounts of electricity. Since this was a prototype, it would simply consume more and more power as it tried to accelerate the tiny charged particles to the speed of light. It had no safety shutoffs built-in.

They both immediately ran back to the lab as fast as they could. The last thing they needed in addition to failing was blowing the University’s generator. Just as Jeremy was about 3 feet from the switch, the paths of the particles finally intersected. Unfortunately, they had orders of magnitude more momentum than had been planned for.

There was a blinding flashlight and then Jeremy passed out. When he woke up, he was in a far corner of the room. The first indication he had that something was off was a bunch of papers floating in the air. Not even floating, just suspended. Jeremy walked up to them and noticed they started falling incredibly slowly. He realized he was affecting the passage of time the closer he was. As he reached for them, the papers seemed to drop into his hand in almost a normal way. But as he let go and moved his hand away, they slowed to a stop and just hung in the air, as if frozen in mid-fall. The papers were traveling in their own time... like they were caught falling into a black hole. At first, Jeremy was excited. “This is going to be big. Nobel prize big.” he thought.

Jeremy looked around to find Anindia, but he was nowhere around. He ran outside, feeling like he should shout ‘Eureka’ or something equally stupid. But as he stepped out into the quad, he could see people going about their normal business. On their phones, jogging, juggling... except all perfectly still. It wasn’t the papers that had been affected, it was Jeremy. It was like looking at some sort of weird snapshot of the universe. Everything was perfectly still. Jeremy’s heart started to race. He realized that he was somehow a moving, walking, talking, white hole. Trapped in a single moment. But something wasn’t right... why wasn’t he repelling matter? Then he began to panic as he realized that his entire life would pass in moments for the rest of the universe. He would spend a lifetime stuck like this and eventually just turn into the pile of dust Anindia was talking about. And it would all be over before anyone even realized there was an accident in the Physics building.

He looked up at the clock in the quad. It was 8:01 pm on Tuesday, February 16th. That would be the exact time of his death unless he figured something out fast.