The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Stephen Kronengold was a professor of International Law at UCLA when my parents attended. The story is that he met my mother at a student mixer around Halloween of her first year. He was dressed as Harvey, the imaginary rabbit; she was Alice in Wonderland. He had a habit of seducing new students and having his way with them, leaving a trail of broken hearts behind him. Of course, my mother was a knockout, so he set his sights upon her. He’d never been turned down; so when my mother rebuffed his advances, he was fascinated. They spent the entire night talking, and he bought her breakfast when the sun rose. After that, he was a one-woman man. Steve used to call their relationship, “that time I experimented with monogamy.”

Their relationship was tumultuous. Their arguments were the stuff of legend. It was during one of their frequent breaks from each other that my mother met the love of her life. It was a balmy Spring day. And while my mother imagined she’d heard wedding bells with Steve, she actually heard them with Dad. By the time Steve resurfaced, she was comfortably in a new relationship. Steve remained a close friend of the couple, and was even the best man at their wedding.

Of course, that’s not the whole story.

Zeroes

Chapter 13: Hell Is Other People

Azusa, California: Thursday Breakfast

The atmosphere in the breakfast nook was neither as hostile nor as awkward as it was the day before. I regretted having to shatter it. Still, I waited until everyone was done with their food before I spoke up.

“Patty, your apple pancakes get more delicious every time I eat them.”

“I’m sure it’s just because you go so long without eating them,” she demurred.

“Nonsense, Patricia,” Antonio said. “I eat them every Sunday, and Eric is right—their quality is increasing.”

“I need to talk to you, nonno.”

“Is there something wrong?”

“No, nonno. It’s just family stuff.”

Patricia started removing her apron. “Come on, Randi. Let’s find something else to do.”

I put my hand up. “No, stay. Jordan let Randi in on some of it last night, and it involves both of you.”

“What is it?”

And then I opened my mouth and the words just fell out. I began telling my story. The entire thing, starting with the dream that eventually enslaved Marissa, and didn’t end until I’d found my mother’s diary. There were parts I’d mentioned that even Jordan hadn’t heard before. I was glad Patricia didn’t react as badly as Cori had—I supposed her conniption muscles were still exhausted from finding me in bed with my sister and her daughter.

Everyone took me seriously; even Patty, our resident skeptic, was willing to humor me. At least, until I proved to her that what I was saying was real. It wasn’t pretty.

“So, wait a minute,” she said, as the clock struck ten. “You’re telling me that Tony and Randi are both your property.” I opened my mouth to defend myself. “Oh, shush, Eric. That’s how you’ve described it.”

I grumbled. “It’s more nuanced than that.”

“Whatever.” She snorted. “And you’re telling me that I’m someone else’s property?”

“Uh, more or less.”

“Isn’t that convenient? The only person at the table who’s seriously questioning you, and it turns out that I belong to someone else.”

“It hasn’t been all that convenient so far.”

“Then why don’t you just make me your property? Take me away from my ‘owner’? You did it with your sister, and the stripper, and the waitress. Right?”

I flashed back to Tess begging me to stop, and the misery I’d put her through. “It’s not that easy.”

“Of course not. Eric, just put up or shut up.”

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Mom, please, think about what you’re asking.”

“I have, Randi.” Patty looked at me. “Well?”

“Are you sure?”

“Stop being so melodramatic.”

“Okay,” I took a deep breath. “You asked for it.”

If I wanted any evidence that the brand on Patty was old, I’d found it. Its edges were tattered from disuse. That made it simple for me to find traction; I could more easily manipulate it than the fresh marks Demetrius had been leaving.

Recalling Vaughan’s advice to not tamper with anyone else’s chattel, I dove in—trying to pry away the dim blue brand. My bright silver easily flooded the holes and the edges, and I began to overtake the rest of it. Then it began to burn a bright blue, and I heard Patty screaming, even as I felt her anguish constrict around my heart. This had gone on long enough; I stopped.

“Okay,” Patty said, breathless, sitting drenched with sweat in her chair. “I believe you now.” Everyone else at the table was looking horrified, white as a sheet. She took a sip from the glass of juice in front of her, her hand shaking. “Am I yours now?”

“Not quite. You’re kind of in between.” I saw the blue of her former brand, and the silver of my brand, swirling together in her eyes. “I stopped when you started screaming. I’m sorry about the pain.”

“I could have taken it.”

“I’m sure you could have. But I couldn’t.”

“Next time, Patty,” my sister said, “just let him fuck you.”

“Yeah, mom.”

She chuckled, weakly. “Maybe I will.”

Then I heard the clock chime eleven. It had taken almost an hour.

“It’s eleven already? We’ve got to get going,” I said, looking at Jordan.

“Why? It’s not that long of a drive.”

“We need to make a detour to Venice Beach.”

“Why?”

“I want to go see Steve. He might be able to answer a few questions I have after reading Mom’s journal.”

“What sort of questions?”

“Just some loose ends, nonno. Do you still have his address?”

“I think so.” He vanished into the rest of the house.

“Can I come, Uncle Eric?”

“What about your classes?”

“I can afford to miss my day class, and I’m sure you’ll get me home by the time my night class begins.”

I turned to Patty. “Patty, what do you think? It’ll give you more alone time with Antonio.”

She flushed. “That was supposed to be a secret! Did Tony tell you?”

“It’s pretty obvious,” Randi said. “I’ve known for a while now, Mom.”

“Really?!” Jordan squeed.

“I told you, Patricia. Miranda has a sharp mind; she would not be easily fooled by our subterfuge,” Antonio said, walking back into the room. He handed me a piece of paper. “I found the address.”

“You two make a cute couple,” Jordan continued, “How long have you two been together?”

“Since Randi’s graduation, so a little over a month now?”

“I’m so happy for you!”

“Well, Mom? Can I go?”

“It’s not my decision to make. You’re an adult now, Randi. It’s up to Eric and Jordan.”

“Sure, we’d love it if Randi came along!”

I gave Jordan a dirty look.

“Yay! Let me get changed!”

Randi’s idea of ‘changed’ was a scandalously small yellow bikini, covered with tiny polka dots.

“Randi! You’re really going to go out in the open wearing that? Aren’t you afraid somebody will see?”

“You like, Uncle Eric?” She twirled around in display. “I bought it a year ago, but I never really could get up the nerve to put it on. So I’m wearing it for the first time, today!”

“You realize we might not actually go to the beach, right?”

“At least I’ll be prepared.” She shrugged, which made the bikini top do some fascinating things. “Let me grab a towel.”

Venice Beach, California: Thursday Afternoon

At least once a week, my mother would experience what she called a presagio. A premonition, more or less; she let them guide her. She never talked about them with anyone, but she told her journal. Every entry was about one or more of these presagi. It was because of one of these from her childhood that she ‘knew’ she would marry a lawyer, and that she ‘knew’ she would become a doctor. And so, when she met Steve, and had a presagio that she would bear him a son, she naturally assumed he was destined to be her husband.

I wasn’t kidding earlier when I said she heard wedding bells when she met Dad—that’s how the presagio presented itself to her. She was confused for a time. She could not understand how she could bear one man a son, and marry another. It simply wasn’t in her nature.

For the first few months Mom dated Dad, Steve would consistently try to get in her pants. It was always subtle, things Mom noticed but went right over Dad’s head. Then Steve stopped trying, and went back to his old hedonistic ways, still maintaining a friendship with the couple. Mom asked him why the sudden change, and he answered, “He makes you happy; more happy than I ever could. I hated fighting with you, but now we’re not fighting anymore; because there’s no passion between us. I love you, I adore your company. If I have to find passion elsewhere to get the rest of the package, I can content myself with that. I have to, right?” He must have made an impression, because she wrote those words in English.

Then around the time of their graduation, she had another presagio—she would conceive her first child on her wedding night. She was so excited! She wanted to get married as quickly as possible, which to her meant eloping. Unfortunately, given their busy schedules, they were unable to find any time before Labor Day weekend. Steve volunteered to drive them up to Vegas. It was on that drive that she had another presagio: the first child she bore to her husband would also kill her.

Mom was scared of dying, so on her wedding night, she got Dad so drunk he passed out, and then visited Steve’s hotel room. Nine months later, I was born. After that, she picked up her very first packed of birth control pills.

We pulled up to Steve’s house a little before 1. I’d spent the entire drive rebuffing questions from the girls; they wouldn’t let me sleep. You have no idea how tempted I was to just reach out and flip the switch on their voiceboxes down, so they’d shut up. But I’m sure they’d have found other ways to vex me.

Walking up the stairs to Steve’s townhouse, Randi caught up to me. “Sooo, Uncle Eric, remind me why we’re going to see Steve again?”

“I haven’t said.”

“Oh, give it up, campione. Just tell us. We’re almost there! We’ll find out soon enough.”

“Then have some patience, piccola.” I ruffled Randi’s hair. “You too, bunny.”

Randi dashed ahead, up the stairs—ah, the exuberance and energy of youth—and rang the doorbell. After waiting a few moments, she started knocking.

“I said patience, bunny!”

“Patience is overrated,” the girls said in stereo.

Before I could even get to the landing, I could see another silvery brand—one of mine—moving inside the house. I wondered who it was—the mystery was solved when the door to the house flew open. Though that just left a few more questions.

“Randi?! How did you find me here?”

“Frankie!” She tossed her arms around him, giving him a kiss on the cheek. “I thought you were in Cheyenne?”

Her brother looked sheepish. “No, that’s just where I keep a P.O. Box. Don’t tell Mom.”

“So, what are you doing here?”

Steve walked up to the doorway. “I’m renting my guest room to him. Very fairly, given the location.” He gave Randi a leer. “And who are you, gorgeous?”

“Hands off, Steve. She’s my sister.”

“So, you’re staying in his extra room?”

“Yeah,” Frank said. “Besides, Most of his guests just stay in his bed.”

“That sounds like the Steve I know.” I’d finally crested the slope.

“Eric! My boy!” I saw his face brighten. Then it darkened. “It’s like seeing a ghost,” he continued, looking at Jordan. “You must be Alice’s daughter. It’s uncanny.” His breath caught. “You’re as beautiful as your mother.”

Jordan blushed. “Um, I guess?”

“The resemblance is remarkable,” he muttered, almost to himself. Then, he snapped back to attention. “Come in, everyone, come in!”

Soon we were arrayed on the giant bean bags that dominated his living room. Jordan and I were sharing one; Frank and Randi another. Of course, Steve had this large circular wooden monstrosity lined with pillows. It was big enough for two, though Steve sprawled across it as though it just had room for him. Compared to the bean bags, it was like a throne. I mentioned as much.

Frank laughed. “He never lets anyone sit in it.”

“Yes I do!”

“Oh, please. Having your sleepover guests sit on your lap is not the same thing.”

“I didn’t hear any complaints before you showed up.”

That had the two of them laughing; like it was an old joke, or an old argument.

Steve whirled around, looking at me. “What brings you to my home?”

“Something I read in Mom’s diary about her wedding night.” I saw his eyes widen in anticipation. “Are you my father?”

I could feel Jordan’s gasp beside me, but it seemed I took the entire room by surprise. Except Steve. He just sighed.

“Alice told me you’d find out one day. I used to go over and over what I’d say to you when you confronted me. I could never figure anything out. What can I say?” His eyes seemed to be pleading with me, but I didn’t know how to salve an old man’s wounds. Nor did I care.

“You could apologize.”

He sputtered. “Apologize for what?”

“Not for Mom’s wedding night—that was a necessary evil.” He looked confused. “You left us, Uncle Steve. As soon as Mom died you were on the next plane to Bangkok. We needed you. Dad really could have used a friend, and you were his best friend. Or so he thought. What was so important that it kept you away for twenty years?” Jordan had to pull me back on the bean bag.

“Harsh, dude,” Frank said.

Steve looked really small in his giant chair after that.

“You’re right. I fucked it all up. I could have been there. I wanted to come back, but I was too scared. I let stupid pride and fear keep me from being the person I should have been. I’m sorry, Eric.” He turned to Jordan. “And I’m sorry to you, too, Helena.”

We sat in silence for a while.

“Does Vince know?”

“No. Only the people in this room know. And I’m not going to tell him. None of us are, right?” I looked at Randi and Jordan, who both quickly nodded.

“Thank you, Eric.”

“I’m not doing it for you, Steve.”

“We’re not going to go to the beach, are we?”

“Don’t think so, bunny.”

“She was an amazing woman, your mother. She was probably the only woman in the world who could have convinced me to try monogamy. I still don’t know how she did it.”

Frank chuckled. “You definitely don’t live that way now.”

“I’m pretty sure it’s a dysfunctional way to live. Monotony, I mean. Who was the idiot that had that momentary lapse of reason? I suppose it’s the last resort of the lonely, chaining down one person.” He shook his head. “Benjamin Franklin said it best: ‘They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.’ Why do you think the adultery rate is so high? Don’t let yourself get led into that funeral pyre, son. Don’t fall down that hole.”

I looked at Jordan and Randi, and thought about my harem, and chuckled. “I don’t think that’s likely.”

“Don’t misunderstand me, I never cheated on Alice. She was right about so many things, but that was one thing she always got wrong. That one time in Vegas was the only time I’ve willingly been with a taken woman. I don’t respect the decision, but I’ve always respected the boundaries. You get me?”

“It’s true,” Frank said. “I’ve seen him kick a girl out of bed when he found out she had a boyfriend.”

“You know? When we were dating, Alice always said she thought I should travel the world. We made plans that she would come with me. Even after she was with your Dad, she’d ask me when I was going—I’d always say ‘One day’ and she’d look a little disappointed. When she died, I had to make it up to her. She’d always wanted to visit Bangkok...”

“I know.” I’d read it in her journal.

“I’m not trying to make excuses, son; there’s no excuse for what I did. I just wanted to make an explanation, so you might understand.”

“I get it, Steve.”

He nodded. “I’ll be here.”

“I’ve heard that before.”

“You’ve grown into an impressive man, my boy. You’re more than I could have expected. I think your mother would be proud.”

I couldn’t face him, so I turned to Frank; seeing my brand on him mystified me. “So, Frank... How long have you been out here?”

He started. “Um, maybe four years? Whenever I moved out.”

“I thought you were doing the rodeo,” Randi said. “Or was that another lie?”

“I am. But I still need an anchor, a place I can call home, you know?”

“Why did you leave us?”

“Do we really have to talk about that?”

“No, not really. But I could always tell Mom and Papa Tony that you’re living out here...”

“Dirty pool, sis. Dirty pool.”

“Oh, come on, Frankie. We used to tell each other everything.” She nudged him. “You don’t trust your little sister anymore?”

“You’re not so little anymore,” he grumbled. Then he took a deep breath. “I’m gay.”

“Yeah, duh. So what?”

“You knew?”

“I’m your sister. I could tell.”

“How?”

“Oh, please. The only cheerleader you couldn’t take your eyes off was Toby Allen.”

“Do you blame me? That boy was eye candy.”

Randi shrugged. “Not quite my type.” She glanced over at me and winked. That gave Jordan a fit of the giggles, which in turn started Randi off.

“What’s so funny?” Poor Frank was so confused.

Steve immediately figured it out. He caught my eyes, then started to grin broadly. I finally saw the family resemblance.

“Why’d you have to go? You still could have stayed home. Leaving was really drastic, you know? And you just left a note! That was kinda gay.”

“I was confused! I needed to process it all. And let me tell you, watching the parade of young hotness marching through here to visit Steve, it was easy to figure out I wasn’t really into women.”

“What about school?”

“Toby was the best part of that school. I was headed straight towards flunking out, anyway. I got my GED already.”

Then, suddenly, thunder exploded outside. “Sorry, bunny. Looks like you won’t get your beach day after all.”

“Aww,” she pouted. “I’m going to get all wet.”

“You’re not the only one,” Jordan sighed.

Azusa, California—Thursday Afternoon

We sat in the car outside Antonio’s house, making our goodbyes.

“Thanks for letting me come with you, Uncle Eric.”

“Sorry you didn’t get the beach day you were hoping for.”

“That’s okay. I think I got what I needed.” She pouted. “I wish I didn’t have class tonight. Or tomorrow. Then I could just go with you to Arizona. Maybe I should just drop out.”

“Don’t you dare!”

“What? A lot of people take time off before college. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up Besides,” she looked at me, pointedly. “Aren’t you still in college?”

“I’ll make you a deal, bunny. Stick out the summer, and think it over. We can talk about it afterwards.”

She pouted. “If you say so, Uncle Eric.” She leaned over to give me a kiss while slipping her bikini bottom back on. “I better go.” Then she opened the car’s door, and darted towards the house. The clouds had darkened the day enough that I could barely see her through the rain-spattered window as she splashed her way to her front door. She was nothing more than a silhouette in the downpour. Then the lightning flashed, and I caught sight of her tying the bikini top around her body while she dashed up the walk.

“Looks like you’ve got a new fan, campione. I wish you guys would have been more careful. You almost made me crash a few times.”

“Hey, you’re the one who arranged for me and Randi to be in the back seat together. You must have known what would happen.”

“That was the plan! I swear that girl was on the verge of a heart attack trying to get you to fuck her. You may have saved her life. I just didn’t think it all the way through. It didn’t occur to me how... distracting you would be.”

“I’m just glad your back seat is pretty spacious.”

“Speaking of, are you going to get in the front seat?”

“In that rain? Do you mind if I just lie down back here and catch some Z’s?”

“Fine. But I reserve the right to wake you when it’s dry outside.”

“Whatever.”

Arizona Highways—Thursday Afternoon

“Wake up, sleepyhead.” We were pulling into a truck stop. “And put your pants on, you’re pumping the gas. I gotta tinkle.”

I tried rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. “Arizona, already?” We always filled up after leaving California; the gas prices were too high to consider anything else. It was always our deal that I’d pay for gas while she drove.

“Yep. Storm kinda stopped pretty much exactly at the border. Now get pumping; I expect full service!”

I watched as she sashayed towards the Oxxo mini-mart, and struggled into my pants. Then, I sighed, took my pants off, and put them on the right way around.

As I clambered out of the back seat, I noticed a couple bantering outside their car. I heard enough to know they were from Phoenix and heading to the beach. The girl was pretty, but that wasn’t what caught my eye. Both she and her mate were marked—with a pink mark, much like the one that had taken Eddie. I’m sure I stared long enough to make them uncomfortable; they looked at me and started whispering before they got in their car and drove off. I tried to put it out of my head, pulled out my credit card, and started pumping the gas.

The gas was about fifty bucks. “I remember when it cost thirty to fill up here.”

“I got you some jerky,” Jordan said, passing me the bag. “And maybe it would have cost thirty if you didn’t have us go on a two hour round trip to Venice Beach.”

“Point.” I ripped open the bag of jerky. “Hey, gimme the keys. I want to drive.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’ve got a herd of loyal followers spanning at least three continents. I’m pretty much a psychic superpower. It’s probably time I got over myself, right?”

“If you say so,” she said, dropping the keys in my hand.

As I climbed into the driver’s seat and started the car,

I felt an icy hand wrapping itself around my chest. I could feel my spine and my legs flare up in pain—like the accident. I almost started hyperventilating, then I closed my eyes and got control of myself. Then I pulled the car out of the parking lot and up the on-ramp.

As the cars whizzed by me, at freeway speeds, I felt the icy hand start tightening. Darkness danced at the edge of my vision. My knuckles grew white on the steering wheel as I clung to it. I started going slow. Suddenly, a big-wheeler behind me laid on its horn, startling me. I jerked the wheel, the car swerved. I nearly ran a motorcycle off the road.

“Whoa, campione,” Jordan gasped. “Are you sure you can do this?”

Perhaps it wasn’t a good idea to face my phobia on a freeway. I gritted my teeth. “I can do this. I’m fine.”

Sure enough, I was right. My old driving instincts came back, and soon I was smoothly driving down the road. So what if I was still gripping the steering wheel a bit too hard.

“How long do you think it’ll take to get back home?”

“Probably about three hours the way you’re driving.”

“What’s that supposed to mean? I’m driving the speed limit!”

“Exactly.” She stretched, yawning. I had to fight to keep my eyes on the road. “The cops don’t even bother with you out here unless you’re going more than ten over.”

I looked at the clock. It said 2:30. “Can I ask you to do me a favor?”

“Why not make me do it?”

“Because I’d rather treat you like a person?”

“That’s boring,” she pouted. “Spoilsport. Okay, what’s the favor?”

“Call Erin, Taffy and Tess and make sure they’re at the Goose Egg at seven.”

“Sure, what’ up?” She pulled out her phone and started dialing.

“Hypnosis show tomorrow. Want to coordinate what to do to take down Demetrius.”

“No Brandy?”

“I think J-Rock would probably recognize her.”

She laughed. “Oh man, I haven’t heard that name in forever. He always insisted on ‘Mister Rocco’ or just ‘Demetrius.’ What an ass. Hello, Erin? Sorry if I woke you. It’s Helena. Can you meet Eric at the Goose Egg at seven? Great! See you then.” She started dialing again. “I am going to be there, right?”

“Of course.”

“Good! Oh! Tess? It’s Helena. Eric’s sister? Yeah, yeah, he’s wonderful.” She put her hand over the mouthpiece. “Wow, this girl can talk.” Putting the phone back against her face, she said, “Okay, okay! Look, can you meet Eric at the Goose Egg at seven? Great!” She clicked it off and started dialing again. “’As my Lord commands’, really? I didn’t think you were into that kind of thing., campione.”

“I’m not, really. It’s sort of how I inherited her.”

“Uh-huh. I’m sure. Heya, Taffy? It’s Helena. Yeah, that Helena.” She laughed. “Look, can you meet my brother tonight? Seven. Goose Egg. Sure, that’ll be fine.” Hanging up, she turned to me. “Taffy might be a little late. No more than a half an hour.”

“No problem there.”

“Yeah, that’s what I told her. You sure you don’t want Brandy there?”

“Not really. I don’t know how I’d use her.”

“You certainly seemed to know the other day in the shower.”

“I meant tomorrow! I don’t know how I could fit her in my plans.”

“Well, kemosabe, since you haven’t shared your plan with me, I can only guess. Still, couldn’t it be useful for Brandy to distract him, especially if he recognizes her?”

A wheel turned in my head, shifting another puzzle piece into place. “Yeah, that could work... sure, call her.”

“This is why you keep me around, right?”

“Something like that.”

“Hello, Brandy? Did you change your message? It’s Jordan. Eric wants to meet us all at the Goose Egg at seven. Gimme a call back, or text or something. Hope you can make it.”

“Not there?”

“Just left a message.”

“So, Frank has my brand, too..”

“Really?”

We spent the rest of the drive chatting.

Goose Egg: Thursday Evening

“Okay,” I said, dipping half a mozzarella stick into some marinara. “Everyone understands what I need them to do tomorrow night?”

I looked at the four desperate female faces at the table, each nodding. Then I lifted up the tablecloth.

“How about you, princess?”

Brandy’s affirmation thrummed down my cock as I finished my snack. I came just as I swallowed. Now the female faces around me weren’t as desperate. Brandy rested her head against my leg. I started petting her, I could feel her purring.

“Tess, you gave Erin your phone, right?”

“She did,” Erin said, holding it up. It looked old; I hoped Tess was right about what it could do. “Eric, what are you hoping to get out of this?”

“Um, I just want to incapacitate him for a while.”

“Okay, sure. And then what? He’s going to be pretty angry after that.”

“I hope I figure out something else by then. Maybe I’ll call Vaughan.”

“Speaking of...” Erin gestured to the door behind me. I turned around, and sure enough, there was Vaughan, with a giggly blonde on his arm. She was dressed up in a strikingly revealing business suit, pencil dress and all. She had a professional-looking plastic file folder in her arms. The poor girl could barely walk in her high heels. She looked like she wasn’t even old enough to drive. It was like looking at Business Executive Barbie’s younger sister playing dress-up.

“Eric, mon frere,” Vaughan’s voice boomed, “I hope you enjoyed your vacation. How was the beach?” He put his hand on my shoulder and intimated that he wanted to talk to me alone. I shook his presence out of my head and turned to my lovely dinner companions.

“Girls,” I asked, “could you give us some privacy?”

Taking Vaughan’s cue, I stood up. At my feet, Brandy protested, but I shushed her and she took my seat. I followed Vaughan to the back, where he had a secluded booth. Business School Skipper tagged along, stumbling with every step.

Before I sat down, Vaughan asked me, “How much money do you have in your pockets?”

I frowned. “I’m not sure. Fifteen bucks, maybe?”

“Show me.”

“There better be a point to this,” I grumbled as I dug through my pockets, throwing its contents on the table. I picked out the money. “Looks like seventeen bucks and,” I counted some change. “Twenty-three cents. What’s this about?”

Vaughan turned to the girl. “If you wouldn’t mind doing the honors...”

“Of course, daideo.” She put the file folder on the table and pulled some paper work out of it. “Seventeen twenty-three?” She fished in her cleavage for a pen, and filled out a line. “Okay, Mr. Chase, please initial here, here, and here,” she giggled, “and sign here.”

I took the pen. “What’s this all about?”

“You’re buying the Goose Egg, bucko. And the club.”

“Um, why?”

“It’s complicated. But trust me, it’s for your own good.”

“Okay?”

“It’ll look good at the tribunal. It’s one thing for me to say I support you; but actions speak louder than words.”

“Is there anything I need to do?”

“Nah, they pretty much run themselves. Scott and Claudia manage the Egg well enough; and Sascha does the books for the club. They can fill you in on any details.”

“Hold up. Sascha? The bouncer? Mr. ‘Grunt once for yes, twice for no’?”

“He doesn’t look it, but he’s a CPA.”

“Huh. Fancy that.”

“Anyway, Sabrina here’ll finish up the paperwork. Oh, pardon me, where are my manners?” He gestured to the girl. “Eric Chase, meet Sabrina Grace.”

She took my hand, giggling. “Nice to meet you.”

“Sabrina is my great grand-daughter. She’s a numen.”

“Really?” I gave her another look, I couldn’t see it.

“Don’t let her fool you. Her father kept her sheltered for way too long. But she’s smart as a whip, this one.”

“I’m a college graduate!” I gave her a skeptical look. “I am! magna cum laude, even! I’m a paralegal.”

“You don’t look old enough. Are you even allowed to drink?”

“Give her a break. She’s only twenty years old, Eric. She doesn’t have a lot of experience, yet. That’s another thing I wanted to talk to you about.”