The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Amissum Codex — The Book of Loss

M/f MD MC

Copyright A. Acer Custos © 2005, 2006

6. Meditatio — Preparation

In the car on the way down from Martine’s loft to my house, I had Natalie sleep, and I talked to Martine as she drove.

“I was stupid. Stupid. Vincent clearly knew more about me than I knew about him. How did he know who my mom was, how to reach her?”

Martine looked at me. “Welcome to the labyrinth, Carter. Who can be trusted, how do we know what is real?”

“What do you mean?”

“Think it through, all the way down. Work it out.”

“Okay, so... Someone had to tell him. Someone who knew about me.”

“Someone who knew all about you, Carter.”

“The only one who knows all about me is you, Martine.” I looked at her steadily. “And you’ve definitely not been who I thought you are.”

“So, there you are. The first level of the labyrinth. Can I be trusted? Am I a double agent? Am I really Vincent’s creature? Was I turned or taken by him?”

“I trust you Martine.”

“Then you’re an idiot and will get us all killed!” She pulled the car over onto the shoulder and screamed at me. “STOP SLEEPWALKING! WAKE UP CARTER! HE COULD HAVE TAKEN MY MIND!” She was shaking from the emotion.

“For all you know, he could have taken yours. This is one of the most powerful telepaths in the world we’re talking about here. Never assume anything. Never trust reality.”

She paused for another moment. “How do you know that your memories are intact? How do you know that your memories are your memories? How do you know anything? It’s all in your mind, isn’t it? He beat you out in the desert. He thought he was getting rid of you. He probably knows by now that you’re coming for him. But look at this possibility, Carter. What if he sacrificed that guy? What if he set it up for you to get that guy killed? What if he reprogrammed you out there in the desert to be his weapon inside our Clique? What if this is all an elaborate ruse to get to Claudio?”

“Claudio would never have let me walk away then.”

“More stupid thinking. You’re pissing me off.”

She pulled back onto the freeway, and we completed the drive in silence. Every time I thought of something to say, I stopped, thinking again about what she’d said... how do I know anything?

She dropped me at my house, but she didn’t stay. Martine was clearly upset with me. There were messages waiting for me on my machine. A couple from the police department before Martine got to them. My boss Alice had called, she said she needed to speak to me. She was probably working herself up to let me go because of all the missed time. Several calls from Angela. I deleted them all.

Natalie came in and looked the place over.

“So this is where I live now, Sir?”

“Yes, you stay here with me, Natalie.”

She looked down at the floor. “Do I sleep with you?”

“Of course. After all, the casino did give you to me, you came with the room.”

“I still don’t understand how they could have made that mistake, Sir.”

“Don’t worry about it please. By morning you’ll be living in a completely different world again.”

“What do you mean?”

“Never mind, go settle in.”

“Oh, okay Sir.”

* * *

The bank checks had been in the glove compartment of the convertible. Manny never had the chance to get them. I deposited them on Monday. I was rich, but it was tainted money. I was going to use it to kill Vincent and everyone around him.

I drove up to a range in Milpitas and spent a good portion of the next several days learning to shoot a gun. After several different models, I settled on a Colt 10mm automatic. The Colt 10mm is a big gun with a big kick. It seemed to suit me somehow. The shop owner’s name was Ronny. He and his employees were all very cooperative, most pleasant to work with and learn from.

“Mr. Popingham, the Colt 10mm Delta Elite is a high stopping power gun,” Ronny said. “This dude will knock your bad guy back and punch a hole in his chest the size of a softball. You don’t get up from that. Using a fully jacketed 200 grain bullet, eleven grains of our hand loaded double-A number seven powder gives you almost thirteen hundred feet per second. A good shooter can group his shots under one inch with those loads.”

“So this will knock a big guy down, even a really big guy?”

“Mr. Popingham... I’ve personally seen this gun drop a charging cape buffalo in its tracks. The typical cape buffalo is nearly 1500 pounds. This is one of the most powerful and useful semi-automatic pistols in the world.”

By Friday the 16th, I had fired over two thousand rounds and I’d learned the basics of hitting what I was aiming at. I walked out of the store with the gun, 500 rounds of premium hand loads, and accessories. Ronny would file it as a stolen gun the next day.

The other thing I did with my time that week was take a tour of the local dog shelters. I found Marco in the Gilroy pound. Marco was a 140 pound Rottweiler with an attitude problem.

The skinny volunteer girl named Rosa cautioned me.

“You should be careful around that dog, Mister.”

“Why’s that?”

“He’s already tried to bite a couple of us, and his owner had trouble with him biting. He bit the animal control officer. He’s gonna be put down tomorrow.”

“Give me a minute with him, please... oh, and unlock the cage.”

“Okay mister, it’s your life I guess.”

I settled down in the cramped hallway of the pound and looked Marco in the eye. We came to an understanding. I promised to treat Marco well, give him a ball to play with, rub his head and not beat him with a studded cane like his prior owner had. Marco promised me to do his very, very best to rip the throats out of people I didn’t like. Marco just wanted to be a good dog. When Rosa came back, we were playing in the hallway.

“I’ve never seen anything like that, Mister.”

“Dogs and I just seem to get along. I’ll take him.”

“I can’t let you have him, there’s a destroy order on him.”

“Rosa, this dog deserves a second chance. Find all the paperwork on the destroy order and shred it. Delete it from the computer. Make a new file for this dog, and I’ll adopt him.”

“Oh. This poor dog, I’ll go get started.”

So there I was, I had my gun, Martine, a couple of girls, and a head full of wild rage. I was ready, right? Ready to go take on Vincent, be the big hero and avenge my family, right? Yeah, except for one thing.

I knew that if I went up against Vincent, I’d lose. I’d get everyone around me killed or mind-wiped or worse, and it would all be useless... useless and stupid. I felt helpless and frustrated. Something was missing, and I needed time to think it through. Martine’s words, “Never assume anything.” kept going through my mind, over and over, like a litany of despair.

After a couple of days of this, and for no particular reason, I started to pack up a bag and my car for a trip. I wasn’t quite sure where I was going or what I was going to do when I got there, but I knew that I needed time to think things out... time to see something new. Martine didn’t ask many questions of me about it, and when she saw that I didn’t have any answers, she stopped asking. At least she seemed pleased that I had started doing some real thinking.

On Monday the 19th, we got in the car and headed out. I decided to head east, out towards Vincent’s territory, but not into it. Reno seemed like a good compromise. A good place to hole up and spend some time. We took highway 50 out of the bay area and drove through the day. Late that afternoon we went over the pass and down towards Tahoe and Reno. The world seemed clean and pure. I knew it wasn’t.

I found a small, flea bag hotel on the south-eastern side of Reno in a nowhere spot called ‘Steamboat’ that evening. It looked out on the high desert, out on nothing. That was perfect. We checked in. I put the women in one room, and Marco and I went into another. We drove to the local pie shop for dinner.

We sat over dinner and talked a while, Martine and I. I found myself going over and over the same things that I’d already thought through. It was frustrating. I grew bored. So, I looked over to the not so attractive, 50 something waitress and made a few changes to her and to the crowd around us.

She approached our booth with a frown. “How’s everything with you folks this evening? Need anything more?”

“Everything’s fine.” I said.

She frowned. “Don’t quite know how you can say that, mister.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” she paused for a second, “you’ve been here what, forty five minutes or so, and that hooker you got with you there,” she nodded at Natalie, “hasn’t once sucked your dick or anything.”

Natalie gasped and turned bright red. “WHAT?”

Martine rolled her eyes and chuckled.

The waitress glared at Natalie. “You’re gonna give Nevada a bad name, you filthy, lazy no good slut. It’s bad enough that decent folks have to put up with filthy tramps like you. Then you go and make it worse by not doing your god-damned job. You don’t see me slacking off, do you?”

In the background, several other customers laughed and made comments.

“That’s right Gladys, you tell her!” One trucker said.

“That’s right.” Gladys said, glaring at Natalie. She reached out and grabbed her by the hair.

“OW!” Natalie slapped her hand away, and came out of the booth like a tiger, ready to kick some ass. She looked around at the diner crowd. Several people were on their feet, staring at her. She paused a moment and looked back and forth between the crowd and me.

I shrugged. “Well, the casino did give you to me.”

She lowered her head and a single tear ran down her cheek.

Several men in the crowd laughed. One said. “Useless damned whore... won’t even do her god damned job. What the fuck good are you if you won’t even suck a man’s dick?”

“But... but I’m not really a...” She sighed.

Just then, someone new, a guy who’d driven up in a red Miata, walked in. He took in the scene. “Uh?” He said, pausing at the register near the door.

The manager looked at him. “Got us a whore here who hasn’t done her job today.”

The guy looked around the crowd. He saw probably thirty or forty people all involved in this scene. “I think I’ll go. I don’t know what’s happening here, but it’s too weird for me.” He left. Someone in the crowd said. “Probably from out of state.” Heads nodded.

With a slow shrug of her shoulders, Natalie crawled under our booth table and began unbuttoning my jeans. The waitress, Gladys, leaned down and looked at her. “And don’t you spit, missy... or you won’t be welcome around here ever again.”

Several men in the background crowd laughed and sat down. A woman two booths over turned to her husband and said. “Can you imagine, spitting? I wouldn’t put it past her. Lazy bitch.”

I settled deeper into the booth as Natalie’s warm mouth closed over my dick and began to get me hard. She tugged my jeans down around my feet and then let loose long enough to get my boxers down. She went back to work, licking and sucking on my rapidly enlarging dick.

Martine smiled at me, an indulgent smile. “God Carter, you’re so theatrical. You get off on humiliating her, don’t you?” I chuckled. Gladys re-filled my coffee.

“How’s that good Nevada slut mouth doing for ya, sir?”

“She has a nice mouth, Gladys.”

“Say thank you, whore.” Gladys leaned down and glared at Natalie.

“Frnk prw, mrw!” Natalie mouthed around the hard shaft now beginning to prod at the back of her throat. I could hear her softly sob as she sucked on me. I grabbed her lightly by the hair and began to fuck her mouth. Every once in a while I could feel a hot tear land on my shaft. It made me harder.

With a shudder, I came, jetting into her mouth. She swallowed reflexively. As the last warm thrill of delight ran through me, I pushed her off of me. She sat at my feet and hugged my leg.

“Was that good, mister?”

I patted her on the head. “Very nice, thank you.”

Later that night I sat alone in my room at the motel. I listened to the old window air conditioner struggle with the desert heat. It gasped and whirred. Cool air came out in puffs. Marco lay at my feet, one eye open, tongue lolling out, watching me. As I reflected, I knew that there had to be an answer out there, somewhere. There had to be a way to fight Vincent, to win. No one is invincible. No one is god.

I sat and reflected deep into the late hours of the night.

As I began to doze, I let my mind wander... drift.

That was when I sensed it. A mind, out there, alone. A telepath? Perhaps, but not like anything I’d ever felt before. The sense was confusing, shadowed, almost hidden. Yet, I somehow knew that it was extremely powerful and already fully aware of me. It knew about me.

Like a clear bell tolling, a voice spoke in my mind. It was past all my defenses, inside my mind in a heartbeat, effortlessly. It spoke to me. “Good. Strong so far. Now see if you can pass the remaining test.” And with that, it was gone, as if it had never existed. Even the faint trace of it off in the distance was gone.

All I had left was a memory, and a taste of it. Hard edged, like rough cut diamond... sharp, dangerous, foreign.

I reached with my mind and summoned Martine. She was already awake and alert, but had no idea of what had happened. She came over to my room in a hurry.

“Carter!”

“Someone’s out there, Martine.. someone powerful. It said something about a test... testing me, I suppose. It was a weird voice, a weird feeling.”

“I don’t think this is good, Carter. It might be a trap. It could be a lure. Vincent or another Inceptor could be out there.”

“No, it didn’t feel like that at all, Martine.”

“Don’t go.”

“I’m going, stay here and wait for me.”

“No, if you go, I’m going too.”

“NO. Wait here for me, Martine. Take care of Natalie.”

“FUCK you, Carter. I’m your partner in this, and you’re not strong enough to force me to stay. She can look out for herself. You’re probably going to get yourself in trouble ... and I can help.”

“No.”

She looked at me.

“Fine.” I said.

Marco leaped into the car and Martine and I headed out into the night. I had no idea where I was going. I just knew that it was east. We drove.

Not really knowing where we were or where we were headed, I relied on my sense of memory from the touch I’d had with the mind out there. The night was luminous, lit from a millions points of starlight. The moon was a tiny, new sliver in the sky, tracking down the sky toward dawn. Around us the desert was alive. I put the top down and pulled over.

We listened to the complex sound of the night. Unknown chirps and creaks and pops and whirrs came from countless chitinous denizens. A lone coyote barked for a mate.

No one was around for miles as we turned onto a dirt road. The headlights picked out a rutted dirt trail leading off down into a wash. At the bottom of the wash there were a couple of deserted old camp trailers and a dusty, broken, leaning quonset hut. A sign hung from it, reading ‘Rawhide — Pop 12’. The sign was faded and dull... it creaked in the night breeze. In the distance we could see modern equipment in place for a mining operation.

Someone had tacked up a sign that read. “Graveyard ½ mi” with an arrow pointing roughly north. We drove out of the wash and, lacking anything better to do, headed north.

In the middle of the high desert, surrounded by nothing for miles in each direction, sat a lone, desolate looking grave surrounded by rusting iron work.

Somehow, I knew that we were close. I could not find the sense of it though... north, south, who knew? I sat on the hood of the convertible and listened to the ticking of the engine as it cooled. Martine lay back in her seat and stared out at the beautiful night sky. There was no sign of anything, no clues to what was out here. We’d passed an old prospector’s trailer some distance back, perhaps two or three miles south of the wash. I decided to drop in and see if I could get any information.

We drove back down the rutted road beside the wash and found the dark trailer. As we pulled up the wash road to it, dogs began barking. I quieted them with my mind, but not before a light in the trailer came on. It was an older single-wide, up on blocks. A generator sat near the back, along with a big propane tank.

The door to the trailer opened, and a grizzled old man pulling his overall suspenders up stood there, cradling a shotgun in his arm. I reached out to him and calmed him down. Martine looked over at me.

“Doesn’t seem likely that he knows much.”

“Doesn’t, does it?”

Martine seemed right, as I got out of the car and approached, I knew that his name was Loris Jones, and that he was about 80 give or take, he was never too sure anymore. I leaned that he was an old navy vet, and that he’d been out here in the desert by himself for years. He mostly watched TV from his weather beaten satellite dish and talked to his dogs about going prospecting again real soon.

“Morning, folks.” Loris said into the cool night air. “Lost?”

“Nope, just hoping for a cup of coffee maybe.”

“Well, never let it be said I refused a pretty woman.” He said, smiling at Martine. He turned his back and went into the trailer.

When we went inside, the trailer smelled of old dust, tobacco juice and dogs. Loris pulled on a very old pair of cowboy boots over his white work socks and offered us seats at the table near his small kitchen. A mixed breed mutt sniffed a time or two at Marco, but I kept the dogs from getting excited.

“What brings you folks out here at four in the morning, if you’re not lost?”

“Not really sure.” I said.

“Looking for the old ghost town, Rawhide?”

“Isn’t that back North a ways?”

“Used to be.” He said, and spat some tobacco juice into an old Folger’s can. He set to work making coffee. “Thing is, some mining company, call ‘emselves the ‘Rawhide Mining Company’... outfit from back east, come out here while back and leveled the place. Put in new equipment. Nothing left, just some junk. Town’s gone, nothing left for you to see.”

“Anything else out here?” I asked, looking around the old trailer.

“One grave cemetery. Old mine pit, from the last boom time. Old mine shaft from the same time.... thats bout all.”

He paused.

“Unless you’re here about the old legend.” He chuckled and a sense of deja-vu came over me.

“Old legend?”

“Yep. For kids mostly. The old shaft is supposed to be haunted, old boogy man down there. Kids from Reno used to come out for time to time.” He paused and poured us both coffee without asking. Cream and sugar were no where to be seen. He leaned against the counter. I could hear the joints in his old back crackle from my seat.

“That stopped some time back though. Company put a strong grate up after that kid got killed.”

I looked up. “Someone got killed?”

“Yep. Never found the body though. Most likely fell down the shaft in the dark. The kids with him heard him fall, or scream at least.”

I looked at Martine. She shrugged.

“Can you show us the shaft?” I said, pushing him.

“Well, I do have some bolt cutters, let me find em.”

He left the trailer.

Martine looked at me. “What in the world are you thinking, Carter? A mine shaft in the middle of no where?”

“Well...” I tried not to sound defensive. “Do you have any better ideas? I know it was out here some where, a mind of great power. And we sure don’t seem to be finding anything else.”

With another shrug, Martine got up and I followed her out of the trailer. The coffee had been undrinkably strong.

The old man was firing up an old cloth top jeep as we came out. He talked to it as it cranked, and then it fired. In the distance, early morning sun was beginning to light the horizon. With a bound, Marco lept into the back of the jeep, and then Martine and I climbed in. The seats were dusty, covered in old dirt and tobacco cans and empty beer bottles. A metal detector poked out one rolled down window. I had to move it aside to get in.

With a lurch, we set off. He drove slowly, following no visible trail. We went down one side of the wash, traveled north along it, bouncing over old river rock. After a long bumpy ride, we came to a battered fence covering the wash. Loris got out and pushed the gate open. We went through into the mining camp and Loris closed it again after us. We stayed in the wash until we were clear of the new camp and then went lurching up out of the gully on the east side. In the distance was a dark mound being slowly illuminated by the dawn.

Loris pulled us up to the abandoned mine head. The old shaft had been covered with a modern welded steel grate, on which were several warning signs and no trespassing signs. Loris grabbed the big bolt cutters and tried to cut the big steel Master Lock on the grate. When I saw that he was too weak to get it cut, I took over.

The lock was stout, and it took a lot of strength to get it to break open. After a minute though, it did. Loris went back to the Jeep and came out with a propane lantern. He fiddled with it, and it flared to hissing life. I threw the grate open and we all looked down into the decrepit old shaft.

There were no signs of recent passage. This began to seem more and more like a stupid idea. “Welp?” Loris asked. “Standin bout or goin in?”

“Going in I guess.” It seemed dumb.

Loris tramped into the shaft, bent slightly over. We followed. Martine was busy looking at me like I’d lost my mind. I was beginning to agree with her.

Brushing away the cobwebs, avoiding the bats, we made our way down the shaft into the darkness. After a few minutes of tramping down into the Stygian dark, it became utterly clear to me that this was a wild goose chase. I called a halt to this futility.

“What we’re looking for is not here.” I said, and turned around.

Shift.

“Anything else out here?” I asked, looking around the old trailer.

“One grave cemetery. Old mine pit, from the last boom time. Old mine shaft from the same time.... thats bout all.”

He paused.

“Unless you’re here about the old legend.” He chuckled and a sense of deja-vu came over me.

“Old legend?”

“Yep. For kids mostly. Supposedly a UFO come down here bouts, some time back.” He paused and poured us both coffee without asking. Cream and sugar were no where to be seen. He leaned against the counter. I could hear the joints in his old back crackle from my seat.

“Supposed to be at the bottom of the old pit. Kids used to come out here. That stopped when that kid died.”

I looked up. “Someone got killed?”

“Yep. Never found the body though. Most likely fell down the pit in the dark. The kids with him heard him fall, or scream at least.”

I looked at Martine. She shrugged.

“Can you show us the pit?” I said, pushing him.

“Well, I do have some bolt cutters, let me find em.”

He left the trailer.

Martine looked at me. “What in the world are you thinking, Carter? A mine pit in the middle of no where?”

“Well...” I tried not to sound defensive. “Do you have any better ideas? I know it was out here some where, a mind of great power. And we sure don’t seem to be finding anything else.”

With another shrug, Martine got up and I followed her out of the trailer. The coffee had been undrinkably strong.

Shift.

“Anything else out here?” I asked, looking around the old trailer.

“One grave cemetery. Old mine pit, from the last boom time. Old mine shaft from the same time.... thats bout all.”

He paused.

“Unless you’re here about the old legend.” He chuckled and a sense of deja-vu came over me.

“Old legend?”

“Yep. For kids mostly. The old grave is supposed to be hollow, leads into the hollow earth. Kids from Reno used to come out for time to time.” He paused and poured us both coffee without asking. Cream and sugar were no where to be seen. He leaned against the counter. I could hear the joints in his old back crackle from my seat.

“That stopped some time back though. Company put a fence up after that kid got killed.”

I looked up. “Someone got killed?”

“Yep. Never found the body though. Most likely fell down the gravesite in the dark. The kids with him heard him fall, or scream at least.”

I looked at Martine. She shrugged.

“Can you show us the grave?” I said, pushing him.

“Well, I do have some bolt cutters, let me find em.”

He left the trailer.

Shift.

“Anything else out here?” I asked, looking around the old trailer.

“Giant Tiki fetish dropped by aliens, Stepped Aztec pyramid of sacrifice, the usual.”

He paused.

“Unless you’re here about the old legend.” He chuckled and a sense of deja-vu came over me.

“Old legend?”

“Yep. For kids mostly. Legend has it I’m controlling your mind. Kids from Reno used to come out for time to time.” He paused and poured us both coffee without asking. Cream and sugar were no where to be seen. He leaned against the counter. I could hear the joints in his old back crackle from my seat.

Shift.

“Anything else out here?” I asked, looking around the old trailer and a sense of deja-vu came over me.

“Nope.”

We nodded and left the trailer, heading back to our motel.

Shift.

“Anything else out here?” I asked, looking around the old trailer. He smiled and a sense of deja-vu came over me.

Shift.

“Anything?” A sense of deja-vu came over me.

Shift.

“Not bad,” The old man chuckled at me, “Not bad at all.”

I looked around the trailer. It was the same as before, but cleaner and more modern. Everything was the same, but different. Martine was out in the front yard playing with the dogs, oblivious. He had clearly controlled her.

I was suddenly filled with an almost uncontrollable rage at the way this old man had manipulated me, conned me, tricked me. I was so angry at being deceived yet again that my hands shook. All I wanted to do was lash out and destroy him. In my heart I knew that these people, all these power mad people, were playing with each other, with my life... they’d destroyed my family.... and here was this shriveled old man playing with me again. I was ready in the next instant to try to kill him.

Somewhere I found the strength to calm myself down and not get killed. I knew that he possessed enough power to crush me. I knew that the time was not right. It made me furious.

He sat down at the table across from me and passed me the cream and sugar. He sipped his coffee. His face was darkly tanned from years of the harsh sun, and deeply rutted from age.

I had no idea whether or not to believe anything I was seeing. Somewhere deep inside I knew that I could be anywhere, seeing anything. His power was so much greater than mine that I had no frame of reference for reality. Being in Martine’s mind, her being in mine, had never been like this. I felt hollow, kind of scared, yet shaken by the wind of rage that had passed through me.

“Name’s Loris, Carter.”

“You’re an Inceptor, out here all alone?”

“Nope.”

“Nope what?”

“I have no time or interest in those titles or power plays. I’m no Inceptor, and I’m not involved. I keep to myself and I kill anyone who wanders out this way.”

“Then why haven’t you killed me?”

“Because I called you out here.”

“You did?” I asked, looking at him steadily.

“Sure, think about it. For no particular reason you just got in your car, drove out to Reno, rented a flea bag motel instead of a ritzy place, which is your personal style, and then headed out into the desert in the middle of the night?”

I thought about that. “Okay, it sounds stupid.”

“It isn’t stupid, you were manipulated.”

“So why call me? Why me?”

“Well, thats a bit of a long story, and I won’t burden you with all of it yet. I will tell you this much, though... I’m very old, very tired, and I hate what those idiots out there have done with our gifts. They’ve turned them into a cheap imitation of mere-human politics.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Even these so-called inceptors are weak, stupid. Time was when we had talents that could rule a world. No more. What’s left to us is a pale shadow, a dim reflection of what once was. I intend to grant you your wish.”

“What wish, old man?” I asked, trying to hold my voice steady.

“You want vengeance. You want to destroy Vincent and his organization, and you already despise Claudio. You want enough power to kill the people who have hurt you. You want enough power to control your own life ... to never be someone’s pawn ever again. Don’t you?”

A moment passed between us. I knew that this old man had his own agenda. I knew that there was no altruism here. I knew I was being used. He knew I knew this. He smiled at me, almost daring me to try him on. It was galling. He even knew I would say yes.

“You already know my answer.”

“Good, then lets get started. Get rid of your companions. You’ll stay out here with me.”

“Get rid of them?” I looked at him, afraid of what he meant.

“No, no. Just send them back to Reno.”

I sighed in relief.

“But if I ever do ask such a thing of you, student, you will do it or I will destroy you, like I have others and wait for someone stronger.”

I said I understood and went outside to talk to Martine.