The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Art Of True Hypnosis: Talent Assessment

by Dazzling Lady and J. Darksong

2)

“A book?” Patricia Jamison asked, frowning slightly. “Really? All of this security and secrecy for an old book?”

“Not just ANY book,” Zeb remarked, lounging on his couch in his private study. “It is perhaps the most valuable object that I own. And I am only sharing it with you now because I trust you, and you have come far enough along in your studies to warrant it.” He sighed softly. “What I am about to share with you must remain between us. I am extremely serious about this. When this book belonged to my Grandmother, she had no less than thirty different attempts on her life.”

Of course, not all of them were simply to obtain the book, mind. Grandma Ophelie had apparently made quite a few enemies in her time, not to mention the fact that she was quite wealthy, with a huge mansion, and a large cache of money, jewels, and rare artifacts. Add in the fact that she was known to be an elderly blind woman, and many of those attempts had been by amateurs believing her to be an easy mark ripe for plunder. The truth of which they all learned the hard way.

Still, Gram Gram had impressed upon him the need for secrecy and security regarding the book she had bequeathed to him. “The information contained within is very important,” he informed Patty, “and potentially very dangerous. Wars have been fought over its contents. Lives taken all within its pursuit. And I have no wish to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder because my disciple made a careless comment about some ‘incredible book’ that taught her the secrets of the universe.”

Patty rolled her eyes. “Secrets of the universe, huh? Now I know you’re winding me up.” She glanced down at the seemingly innocent-looking book. It was a hardback, definitely old, though well preserved. The title, The Art of True Hypnosis, was written on the front in flowing script, a seemingly innocent title for what Zeb was implying. Still, he appeared to be deadly serious, and she did not wish to piss off her mentor. “Okay, okay,” she relented, glancing away from his fierce stare. “I promise, I will not speak of this book, or you having it, to anyone, okay? I swear it upon my life. So? Are we good?” she asked.

Zeb sighed deeply. “Yes, we are ‘good’. I merely wish you to take this seriously.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Patty murmured, picking up the book, opening it, and looking through the pages. “I still don’t get it though. I mean, it’s just a book, right? What’s so... special... about... soommme... boooookkk?” she asked, trailing off as her eyes went wide. Zeb merely nodded, used to the reaction from his own experience. His apprentice went completely silent, staring with wide and glassy eyes, taking in every bit of information being presented to her. Standing up, he walked to the corner and poured himself a stiff drink.

The Art of True Hypnosis was far from a simple book. Composed long ago, it was a collection of wisdom taught from the goddess Hypnothea herself, one of many mystical tomes composed that held her teachings and secrets. And while the book itself was merely paper and ink, the knowledge contained inside its pages was certainly more than the sum of its parts. Zeb himself would swear that the book was alive, possibly sentient, having some degree of awareness, if not actual life. It always seemed warm to his touch. And it contained a definite power within; merely holding it in his hands empowered him, increasing his hypnotic prowess by no small amount.

As to its contents... it was not something that could be told or simply described. The only way to truly know was to experience for one’s self... to read the book and delve into its pages. Even then, the book, much like the goddess who’d penned its words, was fickle. The book was very particular with whom it shared its wisdom. Any person could read its contents, from front to back... but it took a very special kind of person to understand what they had read. That was the very crux of the issue; Zeb had studied and studied from the book for more than twenty years, with his Grandmother’s guidance, and while he had learned an extraordinary amount, he had yet to fully master its secrets.

Every day it teaches me something new, he mused silently, sipping his drink. It’s actually kind of daunting that I might surpass Gram Gram’s age before I learn every single thing inside those pages.

Sometime later, he glanced up as Patty let out a gasp, shuddering slightly as she closed the book. “That was... wow,” she breathed softly, shaking her head as awareness of her surroundings returned. “I... I get it now,” she said, finally meeting his eyes. “I see what you mean. That was... I was just reading, yanno? About what you were teaching me about using my hypnosis energy, utilizing my aura, and all that?” She sighed softly. “It was mostly the same thing you’ve been telling me all this time, but reading it in that book... it’s like NOW I get it! Now I understand!” She frowned, shaking her head, slightly flustered. “It’s... it’s... gawd damn, I can’t put it into words! It was like reading in that book, I could see through the eyes of the person writing it, could understand what they meant, what they felt, in every word! Just a few minutes of reading, and suddenly I understand how to use my power more than I could have ever imagined!”

Zeb smiled, chuckling. “Yes! Exactly. That is what I was trying to portray. It is also what makes the book and others like it so special.” He shook his head. “The title says it all, you know. It is called The ART of True Hypnosis. Using the power, these techniques... it’s not science. There is no specific formula or set of instructions on how to use them. It is literally an art... and as such, it is up to the individual to determine the best way of utilizing their power in order to achieve the results they wish.”

Patty nodded. “Yeah, I get that now. And... I understand now what my problem was in learning the Mistress’ Gaze. I have the basic concept down, I know how to focus and concentrate my aura. But according to the book, I’m still missing my catalyst. That spark that ignites it for the first time.”

Zeb nodded in understanding. For every Hypnotist, there is always a trigger that causes that technique to manifest, usually a strong emotion, such as anger, fear, desperation, or frustration. The Gaze is triggered by a deep desire, something beyond simple want or need... its an instinctual response to stress, a reaction much like a defense mechanism. Once triggered, it can be used at will, but in each case thus far, there has always been a catalyst of some kind that set it off for the first time.

“Well, I am sure you’ll get it eventually,” Zeb told her. “You’ve grown so much over these past few weeks, I’m sure it’s just a matter of time.”

What he didn’t tell her was that she might never manifest it, or any hypnotic Gaze at all; the majority of True Hypnotists did not have access to them. But he saw no reason to discourage her at this state.

“Yeah, I agree,” Patty said, confidently. “I’ve gotten a lot more powerful than I was when we first started.” She smirked. “You know, Zeb, it occurs to me that I might even be more powerful than you now. My aura is definitely larger than yours.” She chuckled, as she made her way to the door. “Who knows? Maybe in a few more days, I’ll be the one teaching YOU some things.” She winked as she departed, Zeb merely sighed, a slight frown creasing his lips…

He hoped he hadn’t made a mistake taking an apprentice…

* * *

“Ah, welcome, young man. I am Arthur Winston,” the handsome, well-dressed elderly man stated, as Zeb stepped into the huge, tastefully decorated office. “It is good to finally meet you, Master Zebediah.”

“Thank you for inviting me,” Zeb replied with a simple nod. “I trust the results of my ‘audition’ were satisfactory?” he said with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

“Yes, yes, very much so,” Arthur replied. “Mistress Ramona has been a most useful resource, providing information about her recent activities and the plans of her partners in New York. I am quite impressed with your work.”

“As am I,” added a seductive female voice, before Zeb could reply.

Zeb glanced up as an enchantingly beautiful woman stepped gracefully from the shadows. She was fairly tall at five foot nine, with a lightly tanned olive complexion, long luxurious black hair, and amber-colored eyes. She wore sultry dark eyeshadow and had sensual red pouty lips; she was dressed elegantly in a simple long bright yellow strapless dress. Her only affectation consisted of a magnificent pendant consisting of a very large ruby with a slightly smaller exceptionally clear diamond suspended beneath it. Zeb’s reflexive downward glance revealed her lovely bare feet, her scarlet painted toenails matching the color of her long fingernails. Zeb was uncharacteristically intimidated at her approach; unlike Arthur, who had no visible aura whatsoever, this woman’s spirit and power were extremely prominent.

So prominent they were nearly overwhelming.

Zeb was forced to stop reading her; her presence was clouding his thoughts and disrupting his concentration.

“Ah, yes,” Arthur murmured, slightly put out at the interruption. “Master Zebediah, allow me to introduce High Mistress Liliana,” he stated formally, “member of the High Conclave, and a business associate of mine.”

“High Mistress?” Zeb remarked, unable to conceal his surprise. Ah. I guess that giant wellspring of power makes sense, then, he thought dimly, stunned.

Bowing in respect, he dropped down to one knee. “High Mistress Liliana. It is truly an honor and a privilege to meet you.”

Liliana smiled. “Yes, I would imagine so. I am pleased to meet someone who knows how to show proper respect; please rise, Master Zebediah. You could learn a thing or two from this one, Arthur,” she said, chuckling.

Zeb stood.

The older man snorted, rolling his eyes. “Yes, yes, I am remiss in my worship of you, High Mistress; my apologies,” he replied dismissively before turning back to face Zeb. “At any rate, I have taken the liberty of assigning you a VIP condo on the twentieth floor, with all the appropriate amenities. And, as you requested, your condo has a second master bedroom suite for your apprentice, Mistress Patricia, is it? She is now a probationary member of The Spiral and you will be completely responsible for her conduct and actions. Keep that in mind,”

Zeb nodded. “I understand, Mr. Winston. Thank you. It is much appreciated. In truth, I believe Patricia to be more excited about being at the Spiral than I am.”

“Oh, are you not impressed by what I have built here?” Arthur asked with a raised eyebrow.

Zeb chuckled.

“Of course I am impressed; it is quite an accomplishment. I am simply tempered in both my expectations and my enthusiasm, at least until I become acquainted with the ins and outs of The Spiral and its community,” he replied.

Arthur nodded.

“I understand that, Master Zebediah. At any rate, I am certain both you and your apprentice will make fine additions to the Spiral’s membership,” he said. “Next I would like to discuss your appointment to a staff position here at the Spiral—”

“Again, my response is the same,” Zeb cut in. “I very much appreciate the consideration, but I must decline. I am simply not interested in a staff position. I much prefer maintaining my independence, being able to come and go as I please.” He sighed. “I do intend to maintain a presence here at the Spiral, and will of course give any contract offers from you the highest priority. But I have no wish to become one of your hired lackeys,” he said, a touch of haughtiness in his voice.

Liliana smirked, clearly amused at Zeb referring to Jessica, Deanna, Camila, and the others on The Spiral staff as ‘lackeys’.

They might have some interesting replies to that, she thought to herself.

“H... Hired lackeys? That is a rather arrogant statement for someone so new and…unestablished in the community, ” Arthur replied testily.

He and Zeb locked gazes, neither willing to back down.

“Now, now, Arthur,” Liliana remarked, “no need to get your panties in a twist. The boy is perfectly within his rights to refuse. Granted, his unique skills and talents would no doubt be an asset to The Spiral…,” she mused aloud, tapping her chin lightly with a fingertip. “And having The illustrious ‘Shadow’ as a member of your staff would enhance the Spiral’s— and your— reputation….” She shrugged. “However, it seems he has no desire to be roped into a position on your staff… at this time, anyway,”

Zeb nodded, still frowning slightly. “Indeed, High Mistress Liliana. Thank you for understanding my feelings on the matter. Though... I must confess, I am somewhat... confused... by your association with Mr. Winston and the Spiral.”

Liliana’s eyes narrowed, though she continued to smile.

She was unaccustomed to being questioned, especially by someone she considered an unknown and an upstart.

“Hmmm? What do you mean?” she inquired casually.

Zeb swallowed. “Forgive me if this comes across as impertinent,” he began, carefully choosing his words. “And I say this with all due respect. But... is it really for the best for you to be connected so closely with the Spiral this way?”

Liliana’s smile faded in an instant. “Excuse me, but what exactly are you insinuating? Do you believe there is something wrong with my being associated with The Spiral in an…advisory capacity? Arthur Winston and I are old dear friends and business associates; I invested in this venture, not that it is any of your business. There is nothing improper about anything going on here, not that I need to justify myself to you,” she said coolly, her amber eyes boring into Zeb.

“I must agree with High Mistress Liliana” Arthur chimed in before Zeb could reply, his face red. “As a matter of fact, she is not the only High Mistress to be associated with The Spiral, young man. High Mistress Gillian is the General Manager, and a minority owner as well; the High Mistresses lend prestige and class to The Spiral, and you best remember your place before you say something you truly end up regretting,” he said with a touch of irritation.

Zeb blinked, his frown deepening. “Again, I mean no disrespect to you Mr. Winston, or you, High Mistress. It merely seems to be that having close ties to an organization seeking to spread its influence throughout the true hypnotism community, it appears as a conflict of interests.” He sighed softly. “My Grandmother taught me that a High Mistress was supposed to remain neutral in any and all conflicts, to act as an impartial judge…to govern the community,” He winced slightly at the expression on Liliana’s face. “Forgive me, I am obviously speaking from old-fashioned views and less-common knowledge. And... far be it from ME to attempt to dictate to a High Mistress how she should conduct herself,”

He lowered his eyes submissively in contrition, realizing he may have overstepped.

Zeb cursed himself silently, knowing he had been caught off-guard by Liliana’s appearance; he had let his confidence, and admittedly his arrogance, get the better of him.

“Indeed, Master Zebediah,” Liliana said sternly, hands on her hips. “At least in THAT much you are correct. More powerful men and women than you have ended up my broken mindless slaves over less.”

She walked slowly over to the couch, moving with the grace of a hunting cat. She sat and crossed her legs, her bare left foot kicking idly. “You know, Arthur, I am thinking perhaps you had the right idea after all. Perhaps our young Master Zebediah should become a member of your staff… whether he wishes to or not,” Liliana said with quiet menace.

Zeb winced again, careful not to let Liliana’s sexy foot draw his gaze or distract him.

The High Mistress’ tone left little doubt that she was both annoyed and feeling petulant. There was no mistaking that he had clearly overstepped his bounds and made her angry. Zeb knew he would need to be very careful in his response.

Forcing a smile back on his face, he turned his attention to Arthur. “As I stated before, I am flattered and honored by your offer,” he said calmly, “however, I am quite sure I would not be a... good fit for the position. For one thing, I am honestly not much of a... ‘team player’. My talents work the best solo, utilizing speed and stealth. I genuinely work best alone.”

Arthur regarded him silently, then looked at High Mistress Liliana, deferring to her to respond.

“That may be… but perhaps I believe it would be in everyone’s best interests if you worked for the Spiral,” Liliana replied, raising her eyebrow. She stared intensely at Zeb, as if daring him to refute her statement. Aware that he was basically tap-dancing in a minefield, Zeb went with the only response he could give.

He took a deep breath and focused his thoughts.

“With all due respect, High Mistress,” he replied, turning to boldly look her in the eye, “it would not be in MY best interests. And, as it is my decision, I choose to decline.”

Smiling, Liliana leaned forward. “And... if I decided that decision was no longer yours to make? If I wish to exercise my considerable…talents?” she asked in a clear and obvious challenge. “What then, young Master? Do you believe you are capable of defeating me in a contest of wills?”

Zeb stared her down for several seconds. Then he laughed, shaking his head.

Hmmm... How much of her hostility is merely because I am male?, he wondered in the back of his mind.

Zeb was irritated by the idea, but he knew he didn’t have the time to dwell on it.

“Defeating you, High Mistress? No. Not in the slightest! I am not nearly arrogant or stupid enough to make such an assertion. I am quite certain that you would indeed crush me in a fair contest.”

Liliana regarded him skeptically.

“Good, we are in agreement then; you may actually be as intelligent as I was told you are,” she replied arrogantly.

Liliana’s expression became a frown as Zeb shook his head again.

Her bare foot continued to idly bounce.

“Not quite on the same page, High Mistress Liliana. We do agree that you are a far more powerful and skilled hypnotist than I am. In any contest of wills, you would obviously win.” His own smile went slightly sinister. “However, does that mean I will simply acquiesce to your threat? No, High Mistress, it certainly does not.” Liliana’s scowl returned. “My Grandmother Ophelie taught me many things, one of which is that the strongest or most powerful hypnotist is not always the one that wins. That under the right conditions, ANY hypnotist can defeat and enslave any other,” He shrugged. “You clearly have more power and experience than I do. Such an outcome should seem obvious. However, in a contest of wills between myself and Mistress Ramona, such an outcome should also seem obvious as well. Yet, I managed to defeat her... break her mind and enslave her to my will.” He flashed her a brilliant smile. “So... obviously there is more to me than there would appear... don’t you think?”

The Brazilian High Mistress glared at Zeb for a long moment. Then she laughed, a low and dangerous sound. “Oh my, you are impressed with yourself, aren’t you?” she asked. “I will admit that taking down Ramona was impressive, but you were far from the only hypnotist who could pull it off; in fact, it was expected of you. That you managed to do so singlehandedly shows that you are a clever, powerful, and lucky man. Notable, but hardly unique, regardless of what tricks you might have up your sleeve… nor are you irreplaceable. You are a bit of an unknown quantity, and I find you intriguing. However, do not make the mistake of believing that you could ever be a threat to me. I will forgive your insolence this time and chalk it up to your youth and inexperience. I would invite you to look into my reputation further, and I will expect you to conduct yourself in accordance with what you learn the next time we meet,” Liliana said calmly.

She smiled sweetly, and for an instant Zeb found himself on his hands and knees before Liliana, kissing her sexy bare feet.

He blinked as he forced the image from his mind, unsure if Liliana had put it there, or if it was a creation of his own mind, reacting to the tension.

Zeb let out the breath he was holding in relief, though he was far from cowed. “Very good then. In that case, with your permission, I would like to leave now and check out my condo, and take a tour of this fine facility.” Liliana merely nodded, and with another quick nod to Mr. Winston, Zeb turned to leave.

“Oh, one last question,” Liliana called out as he reached the door. “About this grandmother of yours, the one that taught you so much about being a True Hypnotist. What was her name again?”

“Gram Gram?” he replied. “Her name is Ophelie Guillame. She’s in her late seventies, though, so I doubt you’d have heard of her. She said she hasn’t been truly active in the hypnosis community for more than forty years.”

Liliana nodded, flashing him a devastating smile as he fled the room.

“Hmph. Well, that didn’t go as well as I’d hoped,” Arthur replied irritably. “I was hoping to persuade him to join my staff.” He glanced sidelong at his companion. “And I was also hopeful that you would convince him to join if my persuasion failed. Why didn’t you make good on your threat and simply hypnotize him?”

“You heard our conversation, Arthur,” she answered with a shrug. “There’s definitely more to this boy than meets the eye. Obviously, he is smart, powerful, and confident; frankly, he is entitled to say no, and I don’t care if he joins the staff or not. In truth, I find him likable enough…though he needs to reign in his attitude or someone might take exception and adjust it for him. Keep in mind he did defeat Mistress Ramona; she was not an inconsiderable hypnotist to take on, and he did do it quickly and singlehandedly.” She shook her head. “No... young Master Zebediah and I will no doubt face one another again... but it will be on my terms. I would prefer we be allies, but if our relationship turns contentious, he will find out what true power is.”

Arthur merely harrumphed.

He gestured toward a red silk curtain, and a sexy naked woman named Sadie stepped out from behind it, moving to pour both he and Liliana a glass of scotch.

I AM going to look into this ‘Gram-Gram” of his, however… Ophelie Guillaume, I am sure I have heard that name before, Liliana mused silently as she sipped the excellent scotch and admired Sadie’s sexy ass.

* * *

“Oh! Like, hey, um, Zeb!”

The dark-skinned hypnotist smiled in greeting. “Hello, Heidi. You’re looking well this morning. Very stylish.”

The bleach bottle blonde tittered softly, blushing at the compliment. “Oh, wow, like, thank you sooo much!” she replied grinning seductively. Leaning back in her chair, she lifted and extended her legs, propping her bare feet up on her desk. “I totally got my toes done earlier,” she added, wiggling her perfectly pedicured peds. “Whadya think?”

Zeb’s eyebrow rose. “Well... I think that I love them. That burnt orange color looks awesome with your skin tone.” He slid a hand forward, caressing her sole gently. “Mmmm... and your skin is so silky smooth as well.”

Heidi preened. “Ooooh... thank you. I so love a man that can appreciate all the time and effort a girl puts into making herself presentable.” She gave him a saucy look. “Would you like to go back into your office and... examine them up close and personal?”

Zeb considered. He only had one client scheduled for today after all, and they weren’t set to arrive for an hour. Usually, he used that extra time to check-in, see how the spa was doing, go over revenue with Tricia, and simply take some time to focus and center himself before his appointment. Still, it had been a while since he’d indulged himself, and Heidi had come quite a long way from the bossy irritating shrew she’d been when they first met.

“Sure, I think I have some time free,” he remarked, grinning as she squealed and slid out from behind her desk. Zeb led her back to his office, closing and locking the door as Heidi swiftly shed her clothing. A few simple words and she was dropped into a deep trance, open and vulnerable, awaiting her Master’s pleasure. Moving to join her on the couch, Zeb took his time, exploring the lovely blonde, starting at her feet, kissing and sucking on her toes, licking and caressing her silky smooth flesh, his touch inducing so much pleasure in her that she orgasmed twice just from his foot worship. Fully aroused, he lifted her up, pressing her down into the couch as he took her deeply, fucking her hard and fast, as she cried out in pleasure again and again. By the time, he’d worked off his sexual energy, Heidi had been rendered little more than a lifeless puppet, smiling and drooling weakly.

“Mmmm, very nice, Heidi,” he told her afterward, once both of them were dressed again. “That was quite enjoyable. As a reward, I want you to remember every moment of our little tryst, in perfect clarity, and feel aftershocks of the pleasure for the rest of the day. You will, of course, forget being hypnotized once you leave the office and return to your desk, believing that this was all your idea, a simple bit of fraternization with the boss. Do you understand?”

“Mmm... yes, Master,” she moaned softly, still panting softly from the marathon sex. “I understand.”

Zeb nodded, watching the sexy blonde depart, letting out a soft sigh. He still had twenty minutes left before his client arrived, and decided to go and grab a soda. Leaving his office, however, he nearly ran into Tricia. “O-oh! Zeb!” the dark-haired woman stammered, regaining her balance. “Sorry about that. But, well, perfect timing. I was hoping to catch you before your appointment. Can I speak with you for a bit, if you’re free?”

“Why, yes, certainly,” Zeb replied, following her back into her office. In the past several weeks, the shy but cute former secretary had certainly come into her own. She was now more confident, more self-assured, and fully capable of handling the rest of the staff and the day-to-day activities of the spa. Even as the new renovations and construction work transformed the tiny little office into a huge respectable fully functional resort spa, the dark-haired woman had stepped up, handling things with a confident and steady hand. He couldn’t help but think once again that switching Heidi and Tricia’s roles had been the best decision he’d ever made.

“Please, have a seat,” she said pleasantly, taking her own seat behind her desk. “So,” she began, “I just wanted to say, that I really enjoy working here. Truly. Every morning, I am excited and happy to come to work.”

“Well, that is great,” Zeb remarked. “I am happy that you are happy here. Of course, this pleasant work environment is very much your doing, so if anything, you’re the one most responsible,” he pointed out.

Tricia frowned slightly, giving him a strange look. “Well... I wouldn’t say that,” she replied, softly. “But that’s another issue. I was pointing out how much I enjoy working here. And really... that’s strange. I clearly remember how much I used to dread coming to work. I even considered finding somewhere else to work.” She turned to look Zeb directly in the eye. “And then, you came to work here. Just a few months ago, you were just another massage therapist, a new hire. Yet, in just a few weeks, you’d become the boss, and Heidi had been demoted to just a simple secretary. And... things changing like that so quickly... it’s not normal, is it?”

Zeb nodded slowly, a frown creasing his face. “True, it’s not exactly the norm. But is it really that unusual?”

Tricia grinned sheepishly. “Yeah, well, that’s the thing. All this time, I pretty much thought of it as normal. And I’ve talked with the others, including Heidi, and everyone else felt it was normal. We all... just accepted it, without really thinking about it.” She paused as if considering, then glanced up at him again. “And... that was because of you, wasn’t it, Zeb?”

“Me? How do you mean?”

“You’re a hypnotist, aren’t you?” she asked, surprising him. “And by that I mean, a ‘True Hypnotist’. That would certainly explain everything, don’t you think?”

Zeb merely blinked, stunned. Tricia’s assertations were spot on and correct. He had, in fact, hypnotized her and the staff not to notice the rather unusual changes that had occurred within the office over the past few months. Normally, Heidi, the former owner, and boss of the facility, suddenly deciding to sell her business to a relatively new worker, then taking a position as a mere secretary in the company she used to own would raise all sorts of red flags. With a bit of persuasion, everyone was simply too content and happy with the higher wages, reduced hours, and workloads, to question the factors that had brought it about. At least, until now, Zeb mused silently.

“I see,” he said after a long moment. “That is an interesting theory. Tell me... what do you know about ‘True Hypnosis’?”

“Hmmm... not very much, really,” she admitted. “My roommate Mary, and I, went to an event this weekend at that new club downtown... the Spiral?” She sighed, glancing down. “I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I’m not a ‘hypnosis groupie’ or anything... but Mary is totally into that kind of thing. She dragged me along... and, actually, I found it kind of interesting. We saw a few duels and even talked to a couple of the hypnotists. I’d always thought it was fake, you know? Like movie magic and fantasy.” She shook her head. “But the things I saw that weekend... well, it convinced me otherwise. There was no way any of that shit going down was an act.” She sighed. “Anyway, we talked about it a bit afterward when we got back home, and I mostly put it behind me. And then, yesterday, I forgot my lunch at home, and Mary swung by the office to bring it to me. And well... she hadn’t been here in a few months, not since Heidi was still in charge. She was completely blown away by how much everything had changed. And when I explained how you were now the new owner, and I was the office manager, she turned to me and asked, ‘And you don’t find any of that the least bit strange? Damn... makes me wonder if all of you were hypnotized or something...’”

At which point Zeb couldn’t help but laugh, shaking his head. All of his precautions had been undone by simple random chance... by a visit from someone who had visited before all of his changes, who was familiar with Tricia, AND familiar with the True Hypnotist community. And of course, once the idea had entered her head, once she had begun to question everything that had changed, and her reaction to it all, it was only natural that his conditioning would fall apart.

“Well, Tricia, I guess I can’t just dismiss your concerns out of hand, can I? So tell me then... what if I did happen to be one of those True Hypnotists that you mentioned? What if I had hypnotized you and the others into going along with all of the changes I’ve made to the Lotus?” He raised an eyebrow at her. “What do you intend to do about it?”

Tricia shrugged. “Honestly... nothing,” she replied to his surprise. “If you are admitting it, though, I guess I should thank you. I meant what I said before—I truly do love working here now. Between the better pay and benefits, and the added responsibility, I have a real reason to get up in the morning now. And you’re definitely a much better boss to work for than Heidi was.” She grinned. “Look, Zeb... I’m not confronting you to make any demands or anything. Mostly, I just wanted to confirm it for my own peace of mind... to know I wasn’t crazy for thinking all of this. And yeah, I know... you could just as easily hypnotize me again, blank my memory of this whole conversation, and I would continue on just as oblivious as before. But... well, I’d really like to be able to remember that you’re the one responsible for my life being so great.”

Zeb’s expression softened. “Okay, I can respect that. So yes... I am a True Hypnotist. And yes, I am responsible for making sure everyone went along with it. And, well, generally enjoying the new work environment.” He nodded. “And I guess it’s fine for you to know the truth,” he chuckled. “Besides, I recently obtained a membership at the Spiral Club, so it’s possible that you’d run into me the next time you and your friend went there on a visit.”

Tricia chuckled. “Really?!? Wow... that’s awesome! Maybe I’ll get the chance to see you duel sometime!”

Zeb laughed as well. “That is unlikely. I know well my strengths and weaknesses, Tricia... and hypnotic duels are not my forte. My skills are more suited to stealth and unconventional confrontations, not so much with contests with actual rules. But, well, you never know.”

“Well, I look forward to seeing you in action, no matter the venue,” Tricia replied enthusiastically. “Oh... and one last thing, Zeb,” she added, shyly, kicking off her heels underneath the desk. “I know I said earlier that I wouldn’t make any demands of you. But... if I were?” she said, extending her legs outward, revealing a pair of pale, shapely, and pedicured bare feet, with her toes painted a dark maroon color. “My only demand would be that you take ME back into your office some time and give me a good dicking the way you did that little strumpet of a secretary.”

Zeb chuckled again. “Yes, well, I think something can be arranged,” he replied, glancing at his watch. “I need to get ready for my one o’clock client, and grab something to drink... but afterward, I think I could ‘pencil you in’ for a nice long consultation.” Tricia’s face blushed a deep red.

“Sounds good, Boss,” she replied, nodding to him as he walked to the door. “Oh, and don’t forget. You have a new client coming in next week, on Monday. She’s a referral from a Dr. Carson, doing physical therapy following a spinal injury, requiring extensive therapeutic massage.”

“Got it,” Zeb replied, filing it away for later. “Should be a nice change of pace from the normal, ‘relax me and make me feel good’ requests I’ve been getting lately.” Waving to Tricia, he left to grab a quick soda and then head up to meet with his client for the day...

* * *

Grant Sutherland glanced around nervously as he and his companion Rick stood by the entrance to the large expensive mansion, waiting for the door to open. The call to come out for an interview had been a sudden and welcome surprise. Regular security jobs were often few and far between, usually consisting of temporary guard jobs, such as their most recent job in Twin Falls a few months earlier. Truly lucrative jobs, ones that paid well, were difficult to get, and the competition for them was definitely fierce. As a result, he and Rick had dressed to impress, with the full dark suits and sunglasses motif, as well as a very well-documented list of previous jobs, and testimonials from previous clients.

“Huh. Swanky place, eh, Grant?” Rick whispered, elbowing his leader lightly. “Could be a nice cushy gig working here.”

“Yeah, well, let’s not put the cart before the horse,” Grant replied calmly. “We should meet with this guy first and see what he’s looking for. For all we know, he might just want someone to chaperone his daughter for a night out on the town...”

Just then, the door opened. Both men straightened up as a well-dressed dark-skinned man with salt and pepper hair appeared. “Ah, gentlemen! Good afternoon. Welcome to the Clark Mansion. Would, perchance, one of you be Sergeant Sutherland, of the Sutherland Security firm?”

“Ah, yes sir,” Grant stated, stepping forward. “Grant Sutherland, at your service. And this is my associate, Rick Nazario.”

“Very good, Sir,” the butler, Kenneth replied, stepping away from the door. “Please, follow me. The Master is expecting you.” Leading the pair down the hallway, Kenneth brought them to the downstairs gym, where two figures were engaged in an active sparring session. Or... so it seemed. Both people were moving with a speed and precision that bordered on the impossible, blurring almost faster than the human eye could track. As Grant and Rick watched, spellbound, both figures zipped back and forth across the room, charging at one another in fierce volleys before separating and charging in again, flipping and diving, rolling and landing with an agility that made it seem almost like a dance. This continued for several minutes until, at some unknown signal, both people separated, turned to each other, and bowed politely.

“That was... your best one... yet,” Zeb stated, panting softly, wiping his brow with a towel handed to him by Kenneth. “You’ve come quite a long way in such a short time, Sasha. I am quite pleased with your progress.”

“Thank you... Master,” the dark-haired former assassin replied, blushing slightly. “I am still... not up to your level... but I shall endeavor to... continue to improve.” She accepted the towel from Kenneth as well, frowning slightly as she noticed the others watching avidly from the side. “Master. It would seem that we have guests,” she stated calmly, going instantly back into bodyguard mode. Zeb, noting her stance, waved her off gently, and she relaxed ever so slightly.

“Ah, yes, guests,” he replied pleasantly, walking towards the visitors. “Sergeant Sutherland. It is good to see you again,” he said, extending a hand, shaking the one offered. “I am happy that you responded to my message. I trust you managed to find the house without difficulty?”

“Ah, um, yes,” Grant replied back, still a bit shellshocked. “A place this big, it’s kind of hard to miss.” He frowned slightly, eyes narrowing. “It’s you, isn’t it?” he asked pointedly. “You’re Lonbraj-la! Even if I hadn’t gotten a clear look at your face without that mask, that little sparring session of yours would have made it very clear who you are!”

“Hell, yeah,” Rick added, shaking his head. “Considering the way you disarmed all four of us in the blink of an eye, there’s no way we wouldn’t have connected that to what we just witnessed.”

Zeb smiled. “Nice to know I made an impression during our last encounter. I trust that knowing the person seeking to hire you is also the one responsible for ruining your previous job will not be a problem?”

Grant chuckled ruefully. “Not at all, Mr. Lonbraj-la. That job is over and done with... ancient history. And frankly, all things considered, you could have treated us a hell of a lot more harshly, but you didn’t.” Nodding, he let out a breath. “So... what exactly does this job of yours entail?”

“First of all, my name is Zebediah Clark,” he clarified. “Lonbraj-la is for when I am ‘working’. As to the job itself... it is both simple and complicated. I would like to hire you to provide twenty-four-hour security for my home.”

“Huh. Okay, that seems pretty cut and dried,” Rick replied, taking out a notebook. “For how long?”

“Indefinitely,” Zeb replied. “Security guards would be housed here on the grounds, in the large guard barracks adjacent and behind the garage,” he added, gesturing idly. “It is large enough to house fifty, is fully stocked, has all the modern amenities, including its own dedicated wi-fi, game room, exercise room, and basement swimming pool.” He sighed softly. “That said... as stated before, this arrangement is not quite as simple as you would imagine. Now, I will assume you are somewhat familiar with the term ‘True Hypnotists’ from your work?” he asked.

“Ah, well, yes,” Grant admitted, frowning. “The employer from the previous job mentioned something to that effect, that the previous attempt to steal the hard drive had been from a True Hypnotist.”

“Indeed. Well, I happen to be a True Hypnotist myself,” Zeb informed them, “and without going too deep into the lore and background, as such we have the ability to utterly control and manipulate the minds, and to some extent, the bodies, of those around us. As a very minor example, I have used self-hypnosis over the past several years to improve my focus and memory for my martial arts training, allowing me to learn and master several different arts faster than a normal human would ordinarily be capable of.”

Grant and Rick glanced at one another. “Okay, okay, I kind of get what you’re saying,” Grant began dubiously, “but what you’re describing... it still sounds a lot like hocus pocus and magic, you know? No offense.” Far from offended, Zeb chuckled.

“Oh, no, I quite understand. In fact, a lot of what we hypnotists can do,” he added, as he seemed to suddenly vanish from their sight, “probably seems like magic to those who do not understand.”

“What the... h-hey! what? You just... just... disappeared!” Rick exclaimed as he and Grant glanced around in shock.

“Not at all,” Zeb replied, reappearing suddenly in front of them, seemingly from out of thin air. “That was merely a bit of hypnotism... mentally convincing your mind to not pay attention to what your eyes were telling you about me. From your perspective, I vanished, because your mind obeyed the command to ignore the sight of me before you. In reality, I didn’t go anywhere at all.”

The demonstration worked, making true believers of both men. Zeb went on to briefly explain about mentalists, and witches, as well, as what they were capable of, and how certain abilities tended to overlap between the three. “The important thing to take away from all of this,” he finished, “is that people with these powers and abilities can be extremely dangerous. In my time working as a mercenary hypnotist, I have amassed a bit of fame, as well as notoriety, among my peers. In short... I’ve accumulated quite a list of enemies, everything from University students and bartenders, to Columbian drug lords, to other True Hypnotists.” Heh... and quite possibly one very testy High Mistress, he added silently, recalling all too clearly that little confrontation.

“My point in telling you all this is to warn you of what you will possibly be facing if you accept a contract serving as my private security force,” Zeb continued. “As it stands, my security guards are woefully ineffective at providing security for my home, as was demonstrated to me just last week when a pair of talented women strolled right past them uncontested to meet with me in my living room. Granted, they were friendly, offering me a job,” he explained ruefully, “but they could have just as easily been someone out to cause me and my slaves bodily harm. Thus, I sought you out, to make this proposal.”

“I see. Well, thank you for your honesty,” Grant replied, taking a moment to digest all of this information. He nodded thoughtfully. It was a lot to take in. And he actually appreciated Zeb being so upfront and honest about everything. Frankly, had he simply stated that he needed twenty-four-hour security for his home and left it at that, he would have accepted on the spot. Finances being what they were, he and his people definitely needed a high paying steady job. Of course, having heard the sheer scope of what they could possibly be facing, he was very doubtful of any of his people agreeing. All of his people were ex-military, trained by the government, and experienced in combat situations. And yet... facing an enemy head-on that you had no chance of beating was not something a person did voluntarily.

“Okay, I gotta ask this,” Rick broke in. “I mean... I get why you told us all this, warned us about what we’d be facing. But really... you didn’t need to do that at all, did you? Hell, even giving us a choice in the matter at all isn’t really necessary is it?” he added with a shrug. “You just demonstrated that you can go inside our minds and make yourself invisible without us even realizing it. If you wanted us to be your security guards, I’m pretty sure you could have just ordered us to, and we’d have no choice but to do it.”

Zeb smirked. “You’re a rather blunt man, Rick. I like that. Very well... yes, you are correct. I could very well have done things that way. If all I needed was a mass of warm bodies patrolling back and forth like mindless little windup toys, I certainly have the means to do so. I also wouldn’t have to worry about paying you,” he added with a grin. “Ah... but what I seek is quality over quantity. I have taken hundreds of mercenary jobs in the past, have gone up against and penetrated various levels of security, and I have noted how effective the various kinds are. A mindless, brainwashed soldier is generally faster to respond, cooler under pressure, and more exact and precise in their manners. But the tradeoff is a lack of adaptability... the ability to actually THINK, and to adjust if things happen outside of their programmed response. Hypnotized and controlled soldiers are useful, but predictable, if you know to expect them. Free thinking individuals, however, are far harder to anticipate.”

“I would agree there,” Grant chimed in. “It’s just like in the military. Obviously, the chain of command is there for a reason... to establish control and efficiency of actions. At the same time, having someone there, in the thick of things, able to call the shots and change orders if needed, keeps you from getting bogged down when the unexpected happens.” He sighed softly. “This is all well and good, Zeb... but I think we’re still ignoring the proverbial elephant in the room. How do a group of normal average joes stand up against witches, psychics, and hypnotists, all of which may or may not also be kung fu masters?”

Zeb’s smile grew genuine. That was the question he’d been hoping for. “Well, my friend, assuming you and your companions decide to accept the contract, I would provide you with the proper training and conditioning, to help you fare better in such a confrontation. That said, it must be stressed that your primary goal as my security force, would simply be to inform me of an intrusion... to warn me of the danger before it reaches my front door. I do not expect you and your men to throw yourselves at a vastly superior foe like lemmings leaping off a cliff. No... serving to delay and distract an invader is much more valuable to me that the possible loss of life in trying to take him or her down.” He chuckled softly, snapping his fingers. “That said... after the proper training and conditioning, you and your men might actually fare better against the average hypnotists or witch than you’d expect.”

“H-hey! What the...” Grant yelped suddenly.

“What the hell?!?” Rick gasped in surprise.

Leaping high, flipping in mid-air, Sasha landed gently before both men, standing beside her Master. Her expression was calm and composed as always, though the small corner of her mouth was slightly curved in the barest hint of a grin. Extending her hands, she held out the sunglasses she had nimbly snatched from their faces without them even realizing she was there. Both men took a step back, stunned, even as Zeb chuckled loudly. “Please, forgive my overdeveloped sense of theatrics,” he said after a moment, “but I trust my Thrall was able to prove my point? Sasha has no special powers or talents... but with the proper training and focus, she is nearly able to keep up with me at my best.”

Rick looked dubious, but Grant was thoughtful. He remembered easily enough the way the two had been sparring earlier, moving so fast that they were mostly blurry after-images to his sight. He also remembered quite vividly how well he and his men had fared facing off against Zeb. The idea of being trained and taught to move that way, to become agile and focused enough to fight like that... very much appealed to the man. And, well, he pretty much admitted that it’s not magic or anything, just hard work, and focus. Hell, if that girl can learn to fight that way after being hypnotized and trained in a few weeks, then I’m pretty sure I can learn as well.

“So, uh, just to be clear,” Rick chimed in once again. “When you say ‘training us’... you’re talking about hypnotizing us, right? Like, literally taking over our minds? How, um... how extensive is that going to be?” he asked, nervously.

“I will be honest with you,” Zeb answered solemnly. “Every member of your security group will be put under deep hypnosis. I will need to ensure absolute loyalty from every member, for as long as your contract is in effect. That is as much for your protection as my own. Furthermore, as part of your training, you will be taught in various ways to defeat hypnotists, mentalists, and witches, our strengths and weaknesses.” His expression darkened. “Obviously, that is not the kind of information that should be widely known or spread. Needless to say, I intend to take certain steps to prevent any security member from sharing that knowledge, as well as removing it completely when and if the subject’s contract ends.” He sighed softly. “To that end... the length of the contract’s term is voluntary, to be decided upon by you and myself. If any member of your group decides one day that they no longer wish to remain a part of this detail, they are free to depart at their leisure, after the appropriate knowledge has been suppressed and removed. If you wish to sign up for a year’s time and serve on a year-by-year basis, then renegotiate at the end of term, that is fully acceptable also. The bottom line here is that I need men and women that I can trust... that choose to serve and protect because they WANT to be here, not because they are forced against their will.”

Grant nodded. “Well, Zeb... I will need to consult with my men and give them the terms, to see if they all agree. But for myself, personally... I think we can accommodate you. You’ve been crystal clear about what you want and what you expect from us. And the salary you quoted in your introduction was more than fair, particularly with the housing provisions you’re also providing.” Indeed, taking everything into account, by giving up his apartment and staying in the barracks, Grant figured that after serving a five-year contract, he would be able to retire and live comfortably for the rest of his life. Some of his people might balk a bit at being hypnotized into loyalty, but it was a small price to pay.

“Yeah, I gotta agree with the Boss,” Rick replied after a moment as well. “Even with the dangers you outlined, you make a mighty tempting offer, Zeb. Hell... you can go ahead and sign me up right now.”

Zeb chuckled. “Well, there’s no need to rush into anything. Take your time, think it over, and speak to the rest of your people. And when you’ve decided, give me a call.” He shook both of their hands, briskly. “I will actually be going out of town in a few days,” he added, recalling his appointment to help Mistress Delilah with a job, “but Kenneth or Carmen will be able to handle everything in my absence, and if you accept, get you all settled in.”

“Hey, sounds great,” Grant replied, grinning. “Well, it was great meeting you again, Mr. Clark. And we’ll be sending you our answer very soon.”

“Indeed, Mr. Sutherland, Mr. Nazario,” Zeb replied with a nod as Kenneth reappeared to lead the men back out. “I look forward to hearing from you again.”