The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Coffee Shop IV: Sex, Lies & Duct Tape.

Disclaimer. The following story, is a work of fiction. The characters portrayed within are a work of fiction as well, and any resemblance to any person, living or dead is a coincidence and unintentional.

Copyright © 2001. This story is the property of the author, Canadian Cowboy. Any duplication, in whole or in part, is forbidden without the express written consent of the author, Canadian Cowboy.

Chapter 14. Smoke and Mirrors.

I knelt there stupefied. It was incredible that I did not faint, then and there. Lord knows, I had reason enough to. I looked at Andy as if I had never seen him before. He couldn’t be alive, my mind said. My heart though, was ready to believe that God had just performed a miracle. I toppled back on to my ass and sat there stunned looking up at Andy, unable to move a muscle or to think a coherent thought.

“Well, are you going to help me out of all this nor not?” Andy asked me, smiling that killer smile of his at me. The smile that I thought I would never see again.

“What the hell is going on, Andy?” I asked, without making a move towards him.

“Your friend, Mr. Black, can explain it better than I can,” Andy answered me. “I only know a few bites and pieces regarding what is going on here. I think he can explain it all to you. He seems to be the man in charge.”

“Mr. BLACK! FRONT AND CENTRE!” I barked out.

Mr. Black turned quickly around and ran over to where I was sitting on the floor. He seemed relieved that I had finally called to him. “Sir?” He asked, wondering what it is that I might require of him. I took a few deep breaths to clear my head and focus my thoughts. I wanted to be sure to ask the right questions of Mr. Black.

“A short while ago, I saw Constable Anderson here, shot by one of your goons,” I said to him. “Shortly thereafter, I checked his body for life signs and did not find any. Now it appears that Constable Anderson has just risen from the dead. Would you care to explain exactly how this little miracle was arranged?” I couldn’t help from keeping the sarcasm and anger from my voice.

Mr. Black knew that I was displeased with him. (Boy was THAT an understatement!) He gulped nervously several times before he started speaking. Clearly he wanted to be sure that his explanation would be acceptable to me.

“To begin with the guns that my associates are carrying are loaded with blanks,” Mr. Black said quietly as he began his explanation. “It was never our intention to harm you or Constable Anderson. Through the use of a few devices we made it seem that Constable Anderson had been shot, when in actual fact he remained unharmed. It was deemed necessary to use this form of persuasion to convince you to disclose the required information.” Mr. Black walked and stood next to Andy. Mr. Black looked down at me as he reached down and started to unfasten the buttons of Andy’s shirt. In short order he had it undone and pulled the shirt open.

Wearily I climbed to my feet. I stooped and looked down at Andy’s chest. A small clear plastic bag lay taped to the white undershirt that he was wearing. There was a red liquid in the bag which was seeping out of a hole about one third of the way up the bag. I peered closer at the bag and thought I could see some black marks almost like charring around the edges of the hole. I reached over and grabbed the sides of Andy’s uniform shirt. I confirmed that there was indeed a small hole in his shirt that matched the size and apparent location of the hole in the bag. The facts seemed to match Mr. Black’s explanation. I thought about it for a moment or two before I turned to Mr. Black and addressed him.

“What about the gunshot and the way the hole appeared in Andy’s shirt? What about his lack of a heartbeat and his lack of breathing?” I asked him coolly.

“A tiny charge blew out the small circle of cloth that was precut from his shirt, and also created a hole in the small bag of stage blood that you can see is taped to Constable Anderson’s undershirt. The charge was triggered with a small radio signal from Mr. Red’s gun,” Mr. Black answered. He pulled at Andy’s shirt and slowly worked it out from within Andy’s pants. Mr. Black then reached down and began to untie the bonds that held Andy’s right hand and arm to the arm of the swivel chair. Mr. Black began to remove Andy’s right arm from the sleeve of his uniform shirt. At first I didn’t understand the reason behind this action on Mr. Black’s part. The answer was revealed to be some type of a small cylindrical device strapped to Andy’s right arm. “This device is also radio controlled. At the same instant that the tiny charge on the blood bag was detonated, this automatic air gun injected a predetermined dose of a drug into Constable Anderson’s bloodstream, through his skin. This drug suppresses the vital signs of a person to the point where they cannot be detected normally,” Mr. Black stated as he continued to explain what had happened. “The drug causes brief unconsciousness as it works, which is why the Constable appeared to wilt after he was ‘shot’. We took no unnecessary chances, I assure you.”

“Incidentally, Constable Anderson was unconscious when we prepared him for this meeting with you. We took great pains to insure that he was unaware of the devices we had attached to his body. I am sure that Constable Anderson truly believed that he was about to be shot, by Mr. Red.”

“You’d better believe it!” Andy snarled at Mr. Black. “I was so scared that I nearly wet my pants!”

“While I regret that we had to frighten you, Constable Anderson, it was necessary. You had to be convinced that you were about to be shot. Mr. Walton had to be convinced that you life was in fact, in danger,” Mr. Black said in response to Andy’s comments.

“Andy, did they hurt you? Are you okay?” I asked him as I saw a pained look come to his face. Now I understood why they had taped Andy’s mouth, when they had presented him to me. It was an effect way to add to the feelings of helpless and fear that both of us were experiencing.

“They roughed me but a bit, but I guess they didn’t hurt me, Paul,” he answered with a half smile. “It’s just that my hands and feet are still kind of numb from being tied up so long.” Andy looked up at me a pleading expression on his face.

“I can relate to that, Andy, believe me,” I half joked to him. “Untie him, Mr. Black,” I directed as I looked down at Andy and threw him a half smile. It was all that I could muster up.

“Yes, sir,” Mr. Black replied as he walked around to Andy’s left side and started undoing the cords about Andy’s left arm and wrist. A minute or so later, Mr. Black walked in front of Andy and swatted down in front of him, as Mr. Black got to work on the cords that were holding Andy’s legs together. It did not take Mr. Black long to accomplish his task.

“Done, sir,” Mr. Black reported as he stood up, and walked a few paces away from Andy, and then turned about to face me. I ignored him for the moment. I was still adjusting to the fact that Andy wasn’t dead and that this had all been some kind of charade.

“Andy!” I called out to him as I looked at him waving his arms about and moving his legs a bit as he tried to force the circulation back into them. “I thought I’d lost you! Dear God I thought you were gone! Don’t you ever do that to me again, you hear me?” I screamed at him.

Andy stopped rubbing his lower legs and looked up at me. “I promise. I’ll never put you through that again, if I have any say in the matter, Texas,” Andy said softly, as he slowly stood up and hobbled about the room. He stepped awkwardly as he struggled to fight off the pins and needles feeling in his legs. After a few minutes, as he mastered the feeling and stood up straight, tall and proud. He turned and faced me. He slowly walked over to stand just in front of me. His face suddenly seemed to shine like the sun on a spring morning. “I would never hurt you, Texas. I love you, you know.”

Andy’s words were like a balm on my pain and suffering of the past few hours. I could feel myself draw strength from his simple declaration of his devotion to me, and his love for me. Andy hugged me once, softly and quickly. The embrace was short, much too short. It was miraculous though. Andy’s embrace melted that cold lump of stone in my chest and transformed it back into a beating heart that thrilled at the slightest whisper of my name on his lips, and lightest brush of his fingertips on my skin. A part of me was amazed at the sudden transformation. It was like Andy had just brought me back from the dead.

We didn’t have time for anything more than that brief embrace. We were still very much in trouble here, and we both knew it.

“So how do we get out of here, Mr. Black?” I asked as I turned my attention back to my former captor.

“You don’t, sir. At least, not just yet,” Mr. Black replied in a loud shaky voice.

“What do you mean?” I demanded coldly. I could feel my anger returning.

“That door is locked from the outside, sir,” Mr. Black said as he pointed to the door that the other three men were guarding. “None of us may leave until someone from the outside opens that door.”

“Then I’ll have you and the rest of the boys break down that door even if you injure yourselves in the process,” I replied as I got ready to give the necessary orders.

“That won’t be necessary,” said a new, but familiar voice from somewhere behind and above me.

I turned around hard and fast, preparing myself to face this new threat. I was tired and weary, physically, and I felt mentally drained. I was not in any shape for another battle. Nevertheless I gathered up my powers and raised a modest shield over my mind. I saw a blank white wall. There wasn’t anyone behind me. I turned back and looked at Mr. Black. He offered no information. He stood there, looking nervously at the white wall.

I knew that voice, though. Suddenly I felt a small vibration in the floor. Slowly a crack appeared between the ceiling and the top of the wall. The crack slowly widened and the white wall began to descend into the floor. Smoothly and slowly, the white wall disappeared into the floor. A room was revealed. A most unusual room. The walls, floor and ceiling of the room were a warm soft creamy white. The lighting was subdued and gentle. The room seemed to radiate with a calm and peaceful feeling. Try as I might I could not see any indication of a door in this room. I suspected though that one of the other three walls to this room probably opened in a manner similar to way that the wall in front of me had just opened.

The room was bare except for a long rectangular eight legged table. The table was draped with a cool gray tablecloth that stopped a couple of inches short of the soft creamy white floor. I looked at the feet of the legs of the table, and was surprised to see that the legs appeared to be made of ebony, a sharp contrast to the white decor and the gray tablecloth. On the opposite side of the table from me were nine chairs. The chairs had high backs with what appears to be padded armrests and headrests on them. If the headrests were anything to go by, the chairs were the exact same cool distant gray as the tablecloth. All the chairs were the same, except for the center chair. It slightly higher than the other eight as if it were on a raised platform. There was one other difference. This chair was empty, the other eight were not.

“Welcome, Paul Walton and Andrew Anderson, to the Council of Coins,” said that familiar voice.

I flicked my gaze over to the direction of the voice as my mind finally matched that voice to my memory. It was Mary! Mary of The Panel!. Mary once my mentor and good friend. Mary, the woman who had trained me in the use and development of my powers. Mary, the last person the face of the earth, that I wanted to see right now. I closed my eyes in pain as I realized I was in even more trouble than before. I wanted to scream and curse at her, but I was too tired and too smart to waste my energy like that. The last time I had encountered Mary it has been a battle of five experienced minds against mind. Somehow I had won. I did not look forward to a rematch. Hell, I was in no condition for a rematch! To make matters even worse, the odds were now eight to one. Talk about stacking the deck!

“JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!” I wanted to scream at her as I looked at her sitting there at that gray table wearing a simple gray robe that matched the colour of the tablecloth. I bit my tongue to hold back the words and studied the room, and the people seated at the table. Maybe I would spot something that would help Andy and me to figure a way out of this trap. I looked that the people sitting there. I did not recognize any of them, save Mary.

“I would offer you my thanks, save that I find your welcome to be less than hospitable,” I replied coolly, as I directed my gaze towards Mary. My brain burned with a thousand questions, but I thought it best to keep my curiosity in check. I had no idea as to what the exact situation was. This was defiantly a time to keep my mouth shut and my ears and eyes open.

“Yes, that is both understandable and regrettable. We would ask your indulgence now, so that we may explain the events of the past few hours,” Mary responded in that same cool voice. She was so controlled and placid, that it was almost unnerving. She waved her hand at Mr. Black and Mr. Yellow. They did not respond, other than to shake their heads back and forth in a clear ‘no’ to Mary’s request. She furrowed her brow in concentration for a moment, and then a look of shock erupted on her face. She looked over at me, and then glanced over at the other persons sitting at the table.

I watched quietly as they stood up and joined hands to form a chain. Instantly I poured all my power into my mental shield as I prepared for the forthcoming attack. But the attack never came. They merely stood there for a minute or so, holding hands with their eyes closed. They released their hands and then sat back down.

‘Be at ease, Paul Walton,” Mary said in that same controlled voice. “While you were wise to raise your defenses, there was no need. The Council of Coins did not intend to engage in combat with you. The time for battle and tests is over.”

“So I was right. This was some type of test, wasn’t it?” I interrupted her.

“Yes, but a necessary test,” Mary answered. “What I have long suspected has now been proven to be true beyond any reasonable or unreasonable doubt. You do indeed have potential. Much more than was at first suspected.” Mary smiled warmly at me after she finished speaking. It was a smile much like the first one she had given me back when I first met her at The Coffee Shop. Except this time, I felt chills run up and down my spine.

“Right...” I said quietly. “Just out of curiosity, why is it called the Council of Coins?”

“If you would be so kind as to take a seat, I will begin to explain,” Mary said quietly, while completely ignoring my response.

I was about to protest that there were no chairs available when I saw two small sections of the floor slide open a few feet in front of Andy and me. Moments later two comfortable looking well stuffed chairs rose up from the dark holes. The chairs were attached firmly to the floor sections that rose up and snapped into place with a firm and loud click. The chairs were the same gray colour as the tablecloth and the chairs of the council members. I looked at the chairs warily, like a mouse watching a sleeping cat.

“I guess we’re not getting out of here until we listen to what she has to say, Paul,” Andy said to me as he touched my shoulder lightly. “We might as well be comfortable.”

“Very perceptive, Constable Anderson, " Mary commented. “It is essential that you both hear what I am about to say, for it affects both of you. Even though you do not have the gift, Mr. Anderson, you are involved with Mr. Walton, and what affect him affects you.”

“Fine.” I said curtly as I walked over and plopped myself down into one of the chairs. “I know better than to try and fight my way past eight gifted people. Say what you have to say.” Andy remained quiet as he sat down in the chair next to me, on my left. He looked at the men and women seated at the table in front of us, and waited.

“I am sure that you recall the testing that you underwent during your meeting with The Panel,” Mary began as she addressed me. “At that time I told you that your powers had grown more than I expected and I offered you a position on The Panel. You refused. Since that time you have not contacted me or any of the members of The Panel. You must have known that The Panel would not let you go about your business without keeping tabs on you. Mr. Black here, was assigned that task. He has monitored your activities and reported back to this council. We have watched you as your powers have grown in new and unusual ways. Your gift has truly blossomed, and you have used your abilities with wisdom and compassion. We are most impressed with your development. I personally, have derived a great deal of satisfaction to see my former student doing so well. You have learned much and continue to do so.” Mary paused and offered me a warm motherly smile. I kept my face expressionless. I was far from flattered or impressed.

“Now I must digress for a moment, if you will bear with me,” she said after a brief pause. “Just as The Panel is responsible for policing those with the gift, the Council of Coins serves a similar function. The council arbitrates disagreements and disputes among the gifted. Decisions are made through the use of a coin that is black on one side and white on the other. It is from the use of these coins that the council derives its name. Members of the council are chosen for their mastery of their powers and for other skills. A recent death of one of the council members has created a vacancy. Several candidates are being considered. You are among them. The others have been tested and now so have you.”

“And that gives you the right to put me through hell?” I yelled out as I vented my pent up anger at her.

“As a matter of fact, it does,” Mary answered solemnly. “Service on the council is not offered lightly. “Few are tested. Even fewer pass and are offered a council position. We had to be absolutely sure. The only way to be sure is to test. That test is now complete and the results have been analyzed. A vote is now called for. Members, please.” With those words Mary turned to look straight at me as she raised up her hand and held out a large coin, about the size of a Canadian two dollar coin, in between her thumb and forefinger. She flipped the coin about and with a soft crack, placed the coin on the table in front of her. The coin was a pure almost blinding white. I heard a series of cracks as the other members placed their coins on the table. I shifted my gaze up and down the length of the table to see a row of white coins. I shook my head in puzzlement. I had no idea what any of this meant.

“The Council of Coins is in full agreement,” Mary declared. “Paul Walton, your testing is now complete. The Council finds in your favor.”

“What does that mean, exactly?” I asked doing my best to maintain my cool. .

“It means that we find you have acted in accordance with the guidelines laid down by the Gift Guild. No disciplinary action will be considered in your case. You are not yet ready to serve on the council, but perhaps someday you will be offered such a position. You certainly show the potential to hold a position on the council,” Mary smiled benevolently at me. Her smile failed to move me in the slightest.

“What makes you think I would be even remotely interested in something like that?” I asked her.

“Your sense of justice and responsibility are very strong, Paul. Once day, even though you cannot see it now, you will serve on the Council of Coins,” Mary said with an air of self assurance. “I have observed you closely for a long time. I know how seriously you take your gift and how you feel about misuse of the gift. Mark my words. One day you will sit on the Council of Coins. Furthermore, you will most likely lead it.”

“In your dreams,” I snapped sarcastically. “Are we about done here? I’d like to get home before dawn.”

“Patience, please. We are nearly finished. Once this interview is over you will be free to go. Both of you,” Mary replied ignoring the sarcasm in my voice.

“Good,” I said as I felt relief wash over me. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

“There’s just one little thing before you go, though,” Mary spoke after a brief pause. “We would like you to explain, as best you can, what it was that you did during your mental battle with The Panel, and also your mental battle with Mr. Black and his associates. We have seen things that we do not understand and we hope that you will be able to explain them.”

“Ah...so that’s the catch,” I said with a sigh. The light at the end of the tunnel had just turned into the headlight of an onrushing train.

“It seems a most reasonable request, Mr. Walton,” Mary said calmly.

“Mr. Black made that request of me as well. I was unable to grant his request. As I told him, so I tell you. I cannot explain how I do what it is that I do. I just do it. You might as well ask some to describe to you the exact process required to walk, or to breath. I certainly can not do that,” I answered softly.

“I see. So you still refuse to provide us with this information?” Mary asked softly, with a hint of a threat in her voice.

“I don’t want to fight you, Mary. Any of you,” I replied softly. “Please don’t force this issue. Mr. Black and his associates forced me to take steps that I deeply regret. I have no desire to repeat myself.”

“What do you mean, Paul?” Mary asked softly.

“Have you bothered to check the minds of Mr. Black and his associates?” I asked Mary. “I don’t think you’ll like what you’ll find. Go ahead. Scan them,. I insist. Once you do, you may want to rescind your offer.” I glared at Mary. She nodded her head as she slowly stood up. Mary walked over to Mr. Green, who was still standing next to the exit door. Mr. Green shied away from her hand as she placed it near his forehead.

“Let Mary scan your mind, Mr. Green,” I called out to him.

“If you say so, sir,” Mr. Green agreed reluctantly. He stopped dodging Mary’s hand. She placed her right palm on Mr. Green’s forehead and closed her eyes. The two of them stood motionless for a couple of minutes as she examined his mind. She lowered her right hand and opened her eyes. She blinked a couple of times and then looked over at me. She stared at me for a moment or two and then walked back to the table where the rest of the Council of Coins were seated.

She took her seat and then addressed me. “Mr. Walton, I must consult with the other council members. Please wait.” With that Mary stood up and gestured for the other council members to hold hands and form a chain once again.

I sat in my chair waiting impatiently, with my mental shield set on a hair trigger. I didn’t trust this so called ‘Council of Coins’ not to attack me, Mary’s assurances notwithstanding. All I wanted to was to leave. However, I didn’t want to have to fight the council either. When they had discovered what I had done to Mr. Black and his friends, I was sure they would not want me as part of their little group.

“A most interesting, and unexpected development, Mr. Walton,” a man seated next to Mary called out to me.

“Don’t you get it?” I called out to him. “Don’t you understand what I’ve done?” I was flabbergasted at his calm acceptance of what he had seen in Mr. Green’s mind.

“Forgive me, Mr. Walton, but I don’t understand why you are so upset. Would you care to explain?” The unnamed man responded.

“I’ve branded these four men with my power. I’ve implanted commands in their minds that cannot be changed, altered, removed or withdrawn. Do you understand now?” I exclaimed in exasperation.

“Hmm...I don’t think so,” the man responded placidly. “I admit the commands you implanted are deep, in fact deeper than I’ve ever seen before, but they can be removed.”

“Oh yeah? Try it!” I challenged him. “Why don’t you try a full chain of all your minds and try to remove the commands from Mr. Green’s mind?” I glared at the man with anger and frustration. I was tired and still trying to recover from the shock of the evening’s events. I was not thinking clearly, or I would never have made such a suggestion.

The man looked at me and then nodded his head. “As you wish, Mr. Walton.” He looked about at the other members of the Council. As one they got up and approached Mr. Green.

“I don’t want them to do this, sir!” Mr. Green yelped at me fearfully. “Please don’t let them do this to me, sir. I’ll...I’ll be good. I promise. I’ll do anything you want, anytime you want, sir. Please, sir, please? Please don’t let them do this to me!”

“Stand where you are and let them into your mind, Mr. Green. Nothing will happen. You’ll be just fine. Now close your eyes and relax,” I said to Mr. Green soothingly. I had to put a lot of effort into calming Mr. Green with my voice. His fear was genuine.

“Yes, sir. If you say so, sir,” Mr. Green replied somewhat more calmly as he let his eyes close.

The Council approached Mr. Green. The unnamed man placed his right hand on Mr. Green’s forehead. Seconds later the council joined hands once again to form a mental chain. I waited as patiently as I could. A minute or so the council broke the chain as they let go of their linked hands. Wordlessly the council members returned to their chairs. A couple of them, Mary among them, glanced briefly in my direction. Their expressions were unreadable.

“It seems you are correct, Paul,” Mary said after a few moments of silence. “Even the combined power of the council cannot alter or remove the controls that you have implanted into Mr. Green’s mind. Yet aside from that his mind seems perfectly normal and his powers, which you somehow depleted, are returning. This is remarkable. I do not think that any of us here have ever seen anything quiet like this. It is most impressive. Your powers have grown in new and unexpected ways. You are indeed gifted.”

I glared back at Mary, ignoring her words. “You still don’t understand!” I yelled at her. “I crossed the line! I lost control! You and your God damn test pushed me over the line and I hope you fucking happy about it!!!” I screamed out at her. The guilty and horror of what I had done to these four men overwhelmed me. My throat squeezed shut and I couldn’t speak another word. I closed my eyes as the pain of what I had done, and how I had abused these men washed through me. I curled up in my chair as I tried to fight of the pain, guilt and remorse that tumbled down upon me. The worst part was that I knew, deep in my heart, that I would do the exact same thing again if I were pushed to it. I would unchain the demon within me, regardless of the consequences. Only next time it would be easier.

I felt a strong firm hand placed on my left shoulder. A second hand was placed on my right shoulder. Slowly I was pulled up onto my feet. I cracked my eyes open to see Andy standing in front of me. He gazed at me with kind understanding on his face. He didn’t flinch or look away. He simply looked at me, with kindness and love.

“I can’t understand what you are feeling, or what you did to those men, Paul,” Andy replied after a few moments of gazing deep into my eyes. “I do know what type of man you are, though. I have seen your kindness and compassion, countless times. I do know that I am proud of you.”

“Proud of me?” I asked in a shaky voice. “Proud of me for giving in to my anger and hate? Proud of me for loosing control? How can you be proud of me, Andy? How can you love me? How, in the name of all that is decent in the world, can you even stand to look at me?”

“I’m proud of you, because you didn’t give up the fight. You fought with all you had and you hung in there until you won,” Andy answered softly. “You could have just given in and given up, but you didn’t. Despite the cost to yourself, you fought on, and you won.”

Andy looked at me for a few seconds longer and then he seemed to come to some type of decision. Slowly Andy released his grip on me and stepped back a pace or two. Andy took a deep breath and snapped to attention. He saluted me. “Maintiens le Droit!” he barked out at me. I looked up at a him and a lump came to my throat. With rubbery knees I stood as tall and straight as I could. I looked Andy square in the eyes (well as near as I could considering he was looking straight ahead with his eyes locked on some far point on the wall). Slowly I returned his salute, still unclear as to what it was that he was trying to tell me.

Andy relaxed and held me by my shoulders, as he looked into my eyes once more. “You only did what you had to do, Paul. Don’t beat yourself up. Let go of your guilt and self loathing. These men knew the risks when they agreed to abduct you. You have nothing to feel guilty about or to feel shame over. You did what you had to, because they gave you no other choice, other than to die. You chose to defend yourself. You chose to live. You maintained the right, and I am proud of you. Paul, you acted with the true spirit of the RCMP. You protected life. Your life. And you did it without taking another life. You could have killed these men, or had them kill themselves. But you didn’t do that. You did what was right. Remember that. And remember too, that I still love you. I’ll always love you, no matter what.”

“If it was so right, why does it feel so wrong, Andy?” I cried out to him as I struggled to make sense of his words. “Why does it hurt so bad?”

“Because dipping into the dark side of your soul is always painful, Paul. It is what stops us from running wild.,” Andy answered softly. I looked deep into his eyes and I could see the pain of the many battles he’d fought, lingering in there. His words of wisdom and compassion helped me to see past the hurt, the pain, the guilt and the remorse. Finally I understood that sometimes we have to do things that we later regret, but still we do them. A silence descended on the room as I stood there holding Andy. It would take time, but with his help I would learn to forgive myself. I would conquer the pain. I would learn and grow from it. Silently, I thanked God once again for bringing Andy into my life.

“Now that you have learned this lesson, Paul, you and Constable Anderson are free to go,” Mary declared shattering the silence.

“Just like that?” I asked, surprised that the sudden turn of events. “You don’t want to know more about what I did?” I broke away from Andy’s embrace and turned to face the Council.

“In time, but not right now. When you serve on the council, we will come to know your mind and you will come to know ours. Then we will learn all that we need to know. But for now, we will wait, and we will watch. It is better this way,” Mary declared. There was a finality in the tone of her voice that suggested further debate was not wise.

“In a pig’s eye!” I muttered under my breath. With that, the exit door opened. I looked at Andy. Slowly we walked towards the door We head just crossed the threshold when Mr. Black called out to me. “Mr. Walton, what weekend should we start the house boy schedule?”

I had almost forgotten about that. I couldn’t face seeing these men for a while, though. “A month from this weekend,” I answered. “In the meantime would you be kind enough to escort us out of this building, after showing us a place where we can get Andy cleaned up?”

“Yes, sir! Right away, sir!” Mr. Black replied as he fairly bounded over to where Andy I were standing. “Right this way, sir, please!” Mr. Black insisted as he lead the way down the corridor. In short order we were directed to a room with a sink, soap and some towels. It didn’t take long to get Andy’s uniform shirt cleaned, as well as the front of his uniform pants. The fake blood didn’t leave a stain. Ten minutes later, Mr. Black lead us to an elevator. It was a short ride to the top floor. I thought that strange, but I didn’t say anything, since the top floor was labeled ‘G’. Mr. Black lead us through a few more doors and corridors as he shepherded us on our way. Eventually we encountered a door that opened out in a back alley. As I had suspected ‘G’ referred to ‘ground’. Mr. Black escorted us all the way to the front of the alleyway. He waved at us briefly before he headed back down the alleyway. We turned right out of the alley and into the night.

“Let’s grab a taxi and go home, Texas,” Andy said to me as we walked down the street in the cool night air. We were walking slightly apart and without touching each other. Even though it was late at night and dark out, we were still in public. Old habits die hard. We reached the street corner and turned right again, looking for a public pay phone. As luck would have it, we found one almost immediately. It was to the right of us. It was in front of the building immediately to our right. This was the same building that we had just emerged from. You would never have guessed from the plain almost drab exterior that this building housed an extensive underground facility. This was a store front I knew well. All too well. It was the Coffee Shop. I had come full circle. My first encounter with Mary had been here, and here I was again.

I looked at Andy briefly and then shrugged my shoulders. “What the hell? I could sure use a cup of coffee right now. We can call the cab from inside and enjoy our coffee while we wait.”

“Yeah. Why the hell not? We’ve sure as hell earned it,” Andy agreed with a lopsided grin.

The cab arrived fifteen minutes later. We took the cab to my apartment. When we were safely in my apartment and had our hands wrapped about a hot cup of herbal tea, we talked about the events of the evening. We did more than just talk though. I cried a river of tears. I sobbing unashamedly as I described to Andy, as best I could, how I had felt as I lived through that awful moment when I thought he had been killed before my eyes. I didn’t leave anything out. I even told him of the emptiness and coldness of my spirit when I battled Mr. Black and his associates.

Andy, bless that big RCMP heart of his, held me close all the while, offering me support, kisses and tender embraces whenever it seemed that I needed them. He did his best to understand, as I babbled on into the wee hours of the morning. I knew that he truly understood, when he told me about his own loss. It was something that I had never even suspected. It seemed that the Corporal who trained him, was shot and killed several months after Andy’s training period as rookie Constable was over. Andy and this Constable Smith had spent six months together as Andy learned the rules of the street. In that time, they had become close friends, very close friends. When Constable Smith was killed, Andy told me that he felt like he had lost his older brother or maybe his father. So it seemed that he had a pretty good idea of the pain I had just gone through this evening. I’ll never forget what he said next, though.

“When you let someone in to your heart, Paul, when you let them get close to you, there is always the risk that someday you will lose them,” Andy muttered softly to me as we sat there curled on the sofa together. “Pain is an intrinsic part of life and of love. If you never feel the pain, you’ll never know the joy.”

I lifted my red rimed eyes at him, and looked into that beautiful face of the man whom I had come to love with a depth and scope that I had never imagined possible. “Then let’s feel the joy now, while we have the chance, dear heart,” I said looking into those soft doe brown eyes of his. “For now, please hold me in your arms, and let me fall asleep there. Safe in your arms, at least for this night.”

Andy stood up and put actions to words. He lifted me up and held me in his arms as he lead the way to my bedroom. Moments later we arrived at my queen sized bed. Andy unlaced his arms from me and wordlessly began to remove his clothing. I followed suit. There wasn’t anything erotic or sexual in the manner in which we undressed. We were both tired, bone tired. We simply and efficiently stripped off our clothes, letting them fall into heaps at our feet. With only our briefs on, we turned down the covers and climbed into bed. Andy paused only long enough to flip the bed sheets over our nearly nude bodies, before he snaked his arms about my body once more.

“I love you, Texas,” he cooed as he drew my body next to his. “For now, and for always.”

“Ditto, dear heart,” I said. A huge yawn cut off any further words. I wanted to say more, but I could not keep my eyes open. I gave up and closed them. Andy kissed me. A soft lingering kiss full on my lips that spoke more of his love for me than any words possibly could have. Curled up beside Andy, safe in the warm embrace of his arms I found forgiveness, acceptance, peace and calm. In Andy’s loving embrace, I let sleep wash over me. I would think about tomorrow, tomorrow. For now, for right now, I was safe and secure in Andy’s embrace, and that was all that mattered.

THE END