The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

In Space No One Can Hear You Come

Two astronauts, grounded by cutbacks in the space program, decide to make a fantasy a reality.

This is my fifth work of erotic fiction. Have fun with it. Read it. Love it. Hate it. It’s your choice. If you do read it, I’d love to know what you think of it.

Dedication:

This story is dedicated to the crews of the Space Shuttles Challenger and Columbia, and also to the hard working people in the Space Program. For that step into the unknown and the sacrifices they made for all of us, we should all be grateful. In giving so much of themselves, they teach us to reach for the stars and never look back.

I hope that my words bring to life a dream I know astronauts have, if even just in their imaginations.

Enjoy.
* * *

Alex sat back in the tall chair in the Mission Control Center. He looked around the massive room as he pondered his next step.

He was seated at CAPCOM, the primary communicator between the astronauts in the Shuttle on the pad and flight control. So many years he had dreamed of being here, during a real live launch preparation, awash in the flurry of carefully coordinated movements practiced to perfection with drill after drill.

The lights flashing on all the consoles, at this time of night with nary another soul present, were hypnotic. The air conditioning system was the only audible sound he noticed.

On the console immediately in front of him, crumpled into a ball, were his current orders. He grimaced each time he thought about the words on that printed page. The pain was almost unbearable but he had to see it through. So much hard work, brushed aside with ink on dead trees.

On the page were the words:

”We are sorry to inform you that due to cutbacks in the newest NASA budget, STS-123 will be cancelled. All personnel assigned to STS-123 will be reassigned to other stations. All orbiter personnel and all crew staff are hereby on temporary leave while the logistics of the program work themselves out. Please accept our apologies and enjoy your leave.”

He let those words run through his mind over and over, each time causing the rising anger to grow, reshape itself and consume him.

In the briefest span of time, he found his hand slamming down onto the console, rattling the very bolts that held it together.

“You know,” Mariah said, “if you continue that kind of self-punishment, you won’t be able to use that hand to control the damned orbiter.”

The shock of his action, the sound of her voice in the MCC where he thought he was all alone, the disgust at the situation – it all came home to him in a split second.

“Mariah, get out of here, this isn’t a good time for me,” practically hurling the words at her.

“Oh, is sweetums a little pissed right now, do you wanna cry, you big baby? In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m part of this too, you know,” shaking her hand in mid-air.

He was distracted from his own self-pity momentarily by the noise. Looking in her direction, he saw her waving her copy of the same orders he had already let himself be controlled by.

“Dammit, so much work, so much effort. Fucking bureaucrats, always throwing a wrench into everything. Why can’t they just leave us alone, can someone please tell me that? Why?” he demanded to the room, his voice echoing back in on itself in this cavernous place.

“We’re peons, Alex, you know this. We serve at the whim of our governmental ‘masters’, jumping when they say jump, skipping when they say skip.”

She tried to ease the passion of his anger with brevity, as she’d always done, but this time she could see it wasn’t happening. “After Columbia burned up I was just waiting for the hammer to drop. And apparently, it landed on us.”

“Oh the hell with that idea, I’m not some lackey. I have to do this, it’s my destiny,” he blurted out, totally unconfident. She noticed.

”So, that’s all this is about, what you want? What about what I want, Alex? You think I went through the past eight years of my life just to be told at the last moment, ‘sorry, nice try, but your time is past, have fun in retirement’. Sorry babe, I’m not buying it.” Her tone had changed from friendly to pissed in one second flat.

“I’m sorry, Mariah, and no, it’s not about me, or you. It’s about us; it’s about all the work. So much work down the drain, all the years, all the effort, all the training. And I have no place to direct the anger except at this piece of paper.” He reached forward, grabbed the wadded up ball and tossed it forward towards one of the several twenty foot view screens in the MCC.

It missed, of course.

“You suck at sports, Alex. Always have, always will,” she breathed out in a light laugh.

He smiled at that one. “Good”, she thought to herself, “he’s not gone just yet…”

“I suppose.” He took a deep breath, tossed his head back, and sighed. He turned his chair to face her directly.

“Where do we go from here, Mariah? What now?” He was looking directly at her, right in her eyes in that moment, but she decided to wait before replying with her first instinct.

They had been side by side together, almost every day for the past eight years of the astronaut training program. They had been handpicked by previous astronauts during several rounds of candidate appraisals.

The first year is a rigorous training period at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. Even though a flight assignment can be given out after the first year, the sheer number of candidates against the actual number of mission flights makes that a rarity.

Alex always wanted to be a Pilot in the program, so that became his focus. To be a Shuttle Commander had been the primary driving force in his career. Her expertise was as a Mission Specialist.

While his position left him in charge of the entire mission, her requirements were to watch over the operation of the shuttle, to monitor the consumables (food, air, water, etc.), and assisting in experiments and EVA missions – extravehicular activity, aka “spacewalks”.

Now, because of the letter he had tossed aside and the one she still unconsciously held onto in her hand, those dreams were gone.

She looked down at the page in her hand. The anger she felt, the rejection, the waste. She began to understand what he was feeling more by the second. Since she was feeling what he was feeling, she went with it.

She crumpled the page in her strong toned hands. Years of daily exercise on the program assured her of a handshake that could crush a normal man easily.

She tossed the page towards the screen as Alex did, her toss hitting home where his had missed.

“Great, just one more thing you can do better than I can.” He was slipping into self-pity fast and she would have no part of it.

She rose from her seat, strode to a position beside him, leaned down and kissed him square on the lips. Needless to say, he wasn’t prepared for it.

Somewhere in the back of his mind was a voice screaming at him to just shut up and enjoy it, but her rather public display of affection, right here in the center of his universe, was more than he could take. Besides, it was their first kiss.

Pushing her away, some sense returning to him, he stood upright from his chair.

”Mariah, we can’t… this isn’t the right… Jesus I can’t even think straight. Where did that come from?” he asked, totally awestruck at what he was feeling.

“Oh please, Alex, I know you want me. For years now, I’ve known. Do you think me so blind? Good lord man, you’re worse off than I thought,” she said, advancing on him once more.

He stepped back only to find himself seated on the lip of the console now, unsure about what to do, where to look or what to say.

“You want me as much as I want you, if not more. We’ve been holding it back for years now, afraid of someone seeing us together, deciding it’s too disruptive to the program. Fuck ‘em. That piece of paper is as much a death certificate to our careers as it is a writ of permission, our emancipation proclamation so to speak, for each of us. Come on, let’s go get drunk.”

And with that, she held out her hand to him. It only took a moment, just a brief moment as he looked at her face.

Take her hand, take what she’s offering you, you silly man. Don’t ruin this. She’s totally correct and you – we – both know it…

In the blink of an eye he was hand in hand with her, following behind as they left the MCC.

They went off the complex, heading into downtown Houston. It was a great ride, stars in the sky, not a cloud in sight. The top down in her Mustang, her hair flowing wild and free. In her working mode, it was up in a bun almost always. The only time he had ever seen her hair down was in the shower.

But now, seeing her in the nightlight of that ride, his desires just finally took over. He reached for her, running his hands through her hair slowly, feeling her for the first time.

Sure they’d been in close contact before, even taking those showers together, but until just now, as his hand touched her, he had never allowed himself to see her for the woman she was.

”What an idiot I’ve been, all this time…” he thought to himself. He almost wanted to cry over it, but that wouldn’t happen. Not in front of her. He had to remain strong; he was a man after all. “Control,” he thought to himself, “I have to stay in control, always.”

Oh please… that sentiment won’t get you what you want and you damned well know it… the voice hammered on in his consciousness. Stop being you for a while, live a little. Have some fun, you’ve earned it. Shut up and relax tonight, just let what happens happen…

He shrugged off the thoughts that just hit him, concentrating on the feeling of her hair in his hand. So soft, like silk as it ran through his fingers.

He’d had fantasies about her when they first met. It was hard – and so was he – not to be attracted to her so long ago. She was the epitome of a supermodel: sculptured cheekbones, flawless complexion, eyes of greenish blue he could get lost in. She was spectacular physically, but their first conversation just floored him.

She had brains too, his favorite thing.

“Nothing like a great conversation to make the heart grow fonder,” was something he said to himself on a regular basis. It’s not about sex, at least not for him. He wants so much more from a relationship, but he never found it, never found ‘the one’.

But right now he was wondering if what he wanted was right in front of him, where she had been for eight years now.

She had a Doctorate in Behavioral Psychology with a background in mental health. She originally had wanted to be a Psychologist when she was growing up, but after witnessing the explosion of the Challenger – she was there at Cape Canaveral that fateful day – she decided to do anything she could to get into space, to make a difference in people’s lives and to explore her dreams to their fullest.

The shock of that explosion, the snuffing out of those seven lives including Christa McAuliffe, it all hit her pretty deep, instilling her dream inside and inflaming her imagination at the same time. Agony and ecstasy, she described it once to him.

He continued stroking her hair, not even noticing her right hand had left the stick shift at some point when he was lost in reverie. She had been stroking his thigh for some time now, his cock having grown very stiff and he hadn’t even noticed.

Now, however, as his awareness began to focus on himself instead of her, he had a knee jerk reaction and freaked. “Control,” he thought,” I can’t lose control.” His hand pulled back from her hair as he shifted himself in the seat, turning to face the open road ahead of them.

“What’s wrong, Alex? What… tell me, what just happened?” she asked.

“It’s nothing, Mariah… nothing at all.” He was receding into himself again, and she knew it.

”No, no, that’s not going to work anymore. You’re going to talk to me, right now.” She proceeded to pull off the highway, putting the car in park but leaving it running.

He was now looking down at his hands, deep in thought.

“Talk to me damn you, don’t shut me out. Look at me, Alex, right now.”

He looked up, right into her eyes, and just didn’t know what to say.

“Mariah, I don’t know what is going to happen to us, but… I don’t want to lose you, not like this… I’m sorry, I just don’t know…” and he went back to looking at his hands. This time, he was crying.

She had never seen him cry before. “Did I do this to him?” she thought to herself. “No, I didn’t. He’s holding back and we both know it. The question is: what can I do to help?”

She searched her memories for something, anything that could assist her right now. She came back to her psychology training and decided to just roll with it.

“Alex, we have nothing but time. You and I, we now have the time to explore things. But I need to know what you want to do. If we’re never going to explore our relationship further, you need to tell me, here and now. I want more, I need more in my life, and I know you do too, but unless we talk to each other, we’re never going to move forward.”

He knew the words she spoke were absolutely true, that much was a given. But what would he say now, what could he say?

You already know the answer to that, don’t you, Alex? the voice returned. You’ve known it since day one, since she walked into the training room at the Cape, so long ago. The way she carried herself, presented herself to the world. Proud, sure, confident, everything you ever dreamed of in a woman. You already know the answer. Tell her…

“I want you, Mariah, I always have. All this time I’ve wanted to tell you how I’ve felt but I put my career first. For us to share something, to share ourselves, it would have destroyed both of us. But now… now things are different,” he spoke, shaking, trembling as he did so.

He reached over and took her right hand in his, kissing her lightly on the fingers as he brought her hand to his mouth.

She reached over and lightly brushed his cheek with her left hand. He reacted strongly to her soft caress, more than he could have imagined.

“Alex, I have a question for you. Have you ever thought about what might have happened, if we made it up there? How you and I would react together, in that kind of proximity, 24/7?” she asked, already knowing the answer but feeling the need for him to say the words.

“Of course I did… I still do, always. Don’t you?”

“Yeah, I just… I just had to ask, sorry,” she said, her turn at looking down now upon her.

His left hand darted out, grabbing her just below the chin. He lifted her up so her eyes met his.

“No, no, don’t do that. Enough tears for now, I think we’re supposed to be getting drunk, right?” he said, finally smiling a real smile for the first time since he got that letter.

The letter that now served two functions:

It effectively ended their careers as astronaut candidates at the same time. Now they could look forward to becoming trainers for a new generation of astronauts.

But it also brought them together, as both had hoped for so long.

Amazing in life how one door closes at the same time another opens.

They got back on the highway, not talking much the rest of the way into town. They had already decided on a steakhouse they were both familiar with, Taste of Texas out on Katy Freeway. They’d both been there in the past, with different friends, but this was the first time together.

They found a booth in the rear, away from most of the crowd. Full house tonight, as always at this place, but their being part of the space program, and public personalities, afforded them a bit of leeway in this kind of situation.

They ordered appetizers and drinks then settled into conversation for a nice evening together. The first of many, both hoped.

They slipped back into that familiarity they had known with each other’s company over the years. Many happy memories returned to them as they chatted, times at work, times with friends. The overwhelming sadness they both felt at the loss of their close personal friends on the Columbia. That was a defining moment for the both of them.

The Challenger explosion was painful enough as it was, for him more than her because he knew the Shuttle Commander personally as a family friend. But the Columbia loss hit both of them truly deep because those people were friends, colleagues they worked with day in and day out – they were family. It was the worst moment of both their lives, and another thing they couldn’t share with each other until just this moment.

Alex looked into her eyes and felt nothing but love staring back at him. Mariah was feeling the same thing, but neither could make the move they both wanted to make.

What are you waiting for, man, an engraved invitation? Get up off your lazy keister and go hug the woman, she needs it… and so do you…

He rose from his seat, stepped to the side of the table, hand outstretched for hers. She looked up, onto his face and into his eyes, and found herself rising to meet him.

They melted into each others arms in an embrace that both had wanted for so many years now. Both of them crying, both trying their best to present that strong side of themselves, and both of them failing spectacularly.

Holding onto each other just seemed to go on forever, neither wanting the moment to end. They were interrupted by a low “ahem” sound from the server as he prepared to present the meal to the table.

Separating and returning to their seats but never taking their eyes off one another, they thanked the server and began to eat.

The steak was perfect, as always, medium rare for him and well done for her. He never stopped being amazed at how well she could pack away a good meal. She had that incredibly fit body and never seemed to be out of shape.

His cock twinged at that moment. He couldn’t be sure why, of course, because it was something he wasn’t used to have happening with his best friend present.

“My God,” he realized, “she is my best friend. After all these years, all this time, it’s all so clear now. How stupid I’ve been to miss all of this… Mariah, can you ever forgive my ignorance and stupidity?” he wondered.

He looked up at her once more. She was still eye to eye with him, but she was putting a fork full of steak into her mouth at that moment. He was captivated by her right then and there, unable to look away.

Time itself seemed to slow down just for them. The fork slowly pushing inside her mouth, her glistening white teeth separating to accept it and what it offered. Her lips, her amazing full lips, opened to receive the gift.

It was the most erotic thing he had ever seen with his own two eyes and he couldn’t move. Barely a thought crossed his conscious during those moments; he could only stare in rapt attention.

As her lips closed down around the fork as it retreated from her mouth, he could have sworn he saw her tongue dart out at the last moment, tasting the last of the steak left on the tines.

“Whoa,” was the only word that came to mind.

She could sense a change in Alex, there at the table. A part of him was showing itself, a part she had never seen before but imagined many times. His softer side, so to speak, the real Alex he kept hidden so well behind his conscious mask of control.

It was at that moment that Mariah understood where all this was going. She began to understand that he kept himself in control, totally, always. He never showed any outward signs of not being in charge, of not handling the situation.

And right now, she sensed he was losing himself for the first time. He was reacting to her every word, her every breath, her every glance. She was in control. Now she just had to decide how to proceed.

“What do I do now,” she thought to herself, the idea reverberating in her mind incessantly.

Oh come on, it only takes one fantasy, Mariah… you’ve been here before, in your dreams… ask him if he wants to have some fun... you’re not going to get this chance again and you know it…

“Alex, would you like to have some fun tonight, you and I together, finally?”

He dropped his fork with that comment. The sheer look of panic and terror on his face almost assured her she had crossed over that line once and for all, the line that could cost her the best friend she’d ever had.

She looked at him, wanting to say something but deciding it best to keep quiet and wait for him.

He just sat there, unmoving for the longest period of time. His breathing was quick and raspy, coming in short spurts. His nostrils had flared, that much she noted immediately. She also knew it meant he was thinking about sex. Not only that, he was thinking about sex with her.

A few minutes passed when he finally spoke.

“Mariah, I’m honored, really. And I’m sorry I can’t think straight right now, you know me, always in control, but that question just made my heart and my brain skip a beat. Several beats, actually.”

“So I was right,” she commented to herself, “it’s always about control with him. I can use that, I can really use that.”

They both sat there for several moments not sure of how to proceed. She finally got the nerve up to break the ice forming on their conversation.

”Alex, what say you and I get a hotel room nearby, take off all our clothes, stop thinking for a bit about the world, our lives, our careers, everything… and just be together, for once?”

Again he was speechless. “Where is all this coming from right now, what did I do to bring this on? And what the hell do I do about it?” he continued berating himself.

Dammit, Alex, what are you afraid of? You can face anything, anytime, anywhere. Now you have the chance of your lifetime, with the woman you desire above all others, and you’re sitting here looking like a lost puppy. Move man, think, do something. NOW… the voice prodded him on.

Since he couldn’t think of any real reasons to not accept her offer, he accepted.

“Mariah, let’s get out of here. Right now, before I change my mind… or lose it.”

She took his hand and they were halfway out of the restaurant before he knew it. In the parking lot, as they approached her car, she whirled him against the trunk, his buttocks slamming hard into the lid.

She took him, right there in the parking lot.

She grabbed him by the back of his neck, pulling him into her. Her mouth basically became part of his. He couldn’t tell where his ended and hers began, but her tongue was working him over furiously. He could barely breathe; he felt like he was being smothered by her, in her, with her.

And he was aroused as all hell about it too.

“Whoa,” was still the only word he could fathom in his rapidly descending consciousness. “Wish I had known she felt this good when we first met. I think I’d actually consider losing my career for this…” and he blanked out as that thought just faded away… faded away with his fears… with his worries… until there was nothing left…

Except Mariah.

Several eternally long moments passed, and she released him. As his breathing came back to him, his eyes opened and he saw the most wonderful thing he had ever seen: Her smiling back at him, face to face.

“Welcome back, Alex. Now, shall we get in the car, or are you planning to fuck right here in the parking lot?” she asked, smiling the whole damned time she said it.

He finally let it go, and laughed. Not just some normal “ha ha funny funny” laugh, mind you. It was a full on gut busting torrent of laughter that brought him to his knees there against the tail end of her Mustang. She had never seen him laugh like this, and she also immediately knew it was more than just a laugh.

He was letting it go, that much was visible. He was riding an emotional high that she had put him on in the restaurant with her devouring of that piece of steak – “WAIT,” she screamed to herself inside, “that’s it. He wants to let it go, he wants to just stop controlling everything… why didn’t I see this before?”

Good for you, sweetheart… but now what? her voice prodding her on.

“Oh boy, where do I go from here,” she began repeating to herself. She stepped to him, offered her hand, and he took it gently. Rising to face her, they simply stared into each others eyes for a few moments, then separated and went to their respective sides of the car.

They pulled out, heading deeper into the city towards downtown. They had no specific destination in mind, they just needed to find someplace they could be alone together.

In the distance, a brightly lit building caught Mariah’s eye, so she turned the car in that direction. As they came closer, they realized it was a hotel called Hotel ICON. Originally a bank building constructed in 1911, it had stood the test of time and the rise and fall of the Texas oil barons.

They pulled into the valet spot, waiting no more than a few seconds before a young strapping lad came around the driver’s side where he opened Mariah’s door and smiled. She tossed the keys up into the air just in front of his face and he snatched them almost instantly. She reached for the hand as he retracted it and placed a $20 bill in it.

“Thanks, sweetie, don’t scratch the paint and don’t change the station, ok?” and flashed that heart-stopping smile.

“Ye-yes-yes Ma’am,” the young man replied, exactly as she knew he would, dumbstruck and stupefied.

“God I love doing that,” she thought to herself. “Wonder if I had too much to drink during dinner, for some reason I just don’t care right now… and I love it.” She hadn’t felt this free just being herself in a very long time.

As she took Alex’s hand, they strolled leisurely into the lobby, stopping for several moments to admire the craftsmanship of this old building. When the bank was built, people did this kind of craft by hand. Nowadays, thanks to progress, most of it was done with machines.

They walked slowly arm in arm, noting different textures on the brick and mortar that made up some displays off to one side, apparently part of the original design. If you spent the time to notice, you could easily see where more modern style took over, but they both noted that the blending of old and new worked well. They would have offered congratulations to the interior designer, if they were standing face to face.

Arriving at the Front Desk they were greeted by a lovely young woman, probably in her mid-20’s. She asked them if they’d like a room for the evening; Mariah practically choked on that question. Alex looked at her as she glanced away, her hand rising to her mouth to stifle the little giggle.

“So she finds this almost as crazy as I do,” he thought, “great, I’m not as alone as I thought. This should prove to be a very interesting evening.”

As they were given instructions on how to locate their room, Mariah found herself unconsciously stroking the back of Alex’s neck, just lightly touching his skin, her fingers sliding into his closely cropped hair. She could sense he found it rather pleasurable, but he never seemed to react to it physically.

He was focused on the Front Desk agent the whole time, his eyes were totally locked onto her every movement, his ears listening to her every word.

“He’s doing it again, taking control of the situation. I need to get him alone, and soon,” she smirked to herself.

They were given a suite on the 7th floor, so they headed for the elevators just off the lobby. There was no one manning the elevator as they had expected to find considering the age, opulence and reputation of this building. They waited for several moments before the doors opened, then stepped inside.

Once in the lift, they noticed the polished brass walls, not a fingerprint or smudge to be seen. She looked into his reflection, not directly at him. Mariah pressed the 7 button and it lit with her touch. She slowly but gently pushed him back against the rear of the elevator, taking up position next to him on his left side.

She removed her hand once more from his left shoulder and brought it to rest on the back of his neck, as she had before, and stroked him gently and softly. This time, looking into his reflection, she noticed it—he relaxed, both physically and visibly.

“Hmmm…” she considered what she was witnessing. “He exhibits that strong self-control when we’re in the presence of someone else, but not when it’s just us two. I wonder…”

“Alex, close your eyes for me. Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and relax…” She let the last part of the word “relax” just slur out slowly, stretching the word out for him to feel it, not just hear it.

His eyes fluttered shut at the utterance of that word. His head lolled forward for just a brief moment, then leaned back against the rear of the elevator, seemingly pulled there by her hand on the back of his neck.

Her studies in Behavioral Psychology covered certain aspects of our Human nature. We’re social animals, requiring touch and physical contact to truly survive and be happy. It’s just a fact, nothing more to it.

That touch, that most magical touch of skin on skin, so desperately necessary to make a person feel whole and part of something. The area of skin on the back of our necks just turns out to be a very special spot. Her research had confirmed that over the years.

She could relax with a touch. It was something she had always been good at, having been told in college by her Psych professor that not only did she have the instinct for reading people, but she had the touch and the voice as well. He actually used her for doing examples sometimes because her voice would relax other students so well it was downright shocking.

Her practice, her research and her training were now all coming to bear here in this elevator. She looked at Alex’s reflection again, and then turned to look directly upon his face.

In the several moments she had been stroking and squeezing his neck, his face had taken on that deep peaceful appearance of someone asleep. He was visibly relaxed, much to her delight, and his breathing was now much deeper and fuller.

She wondered what her next step would be, and as the familiar “ding” sounded to notify them they had arrived at their floor, she spoke again:

“Alex, when the elevator doors open, you will find it very easy to allow your eyes to remain closed. You simply don’t want to open your eyes. You will take my hand and follow me from the elevator to our room, keeping your eyes closed the entire time. Will you keep your eyes closed for me, Alex, and follow me to the room?”

He appeared to struggle to speak for a brief moment, then, in a raspy voice, said, “Yessss…” with just the right amount of slurred tone.

“Perfect,” she thought, “this is going to work perfectly.”

The doors opened, she grasped his right hand with hers, not taking her left hand off the back of his neck. She slowly brought his head into an upright position since walking down the hallway with his head laying back that far would not only be very uncomfortable, but might attract stares.

Right now she wanted Alex to only experience her, taking note of nothing and no one else around them. It was the only way he could give in and she now understood that.

As she strode from the elevator, hand in hand with Alex, she continually stroked and squeezed his neck so gently, so softly, while speaking to him all the way. The rooms were plainly labeled with room numbers, ascending away from the elevator area.

“Relax, Alex, let go for a bit… I’m here, I’ll take care of you… just let it go… and relax for me…” she repeated over and over.

As they arrived at the room, she let his right arm drop to his side, reached into her jacket pocket and retrieved the card key. She quickly glanced at the back of the card to see the proper orientation of how it should be inserted, and then unlocked the door.

She slowly pulled Alex by the base of his neck, and he followed her into the room. As they entered, the lights in the foyer were already on, so they entered deeper into the room.

Mariah saw the bed, a king size masterpiece with a very nicely done canopy on it, classic renaissance style. “Impressive,” she thought, “very impressive.”

She led Alex to the bed, and gently pushed him back against it with her right hand on his chest.

“That’s it, just relax, so comfortable, so peaceful, smell the roses here in the room. You can smell them, can’t you, Alex?”

”Yessss…” he muttered, barely seeming to have the strength to form the words.

“Alex, I’m going to step away from you for a few moments, I’m going to leave you here, resting comfortably as you are. Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll return to you in a short while, just continue to breathe deeply for me, inhaling through the nose, holding the breath, then exhaling through your mouth. Each time you breathe deeply like this, when you exhale you will find yourself drifting deeper and deeper into this pleasant relaxed place inside your mind. Now take your first deep breath for me, I’ll be right back.”

Her hand slipped from behind his neck as he began the first of many deep inhales. She stepped away, heading towards what appeared to be the bathroom, stopping briefly by the side of the bed to turn on one of the bed lamps.

After switching it on, she turned to look at Alex. He was just sitting there, shoulders dropped, head lolling left and right, drifting. He looked so peaceful, more peaceful and relaxed than she had ever seen him before.

Except for that time years ago…

Memories came back to her at that moment, of a training session at Kennedy with some staff Psychologists. Hypnosis was involved, that’s what triggered these memories. She giggled at the humor of it, memories of hypnosis triggering another memory. The pun wasn’t wasted on her.

Many years ago, some of the research staff for the spaceflight program decided to give hypnosis a chance in regards to controlling the queasiness that some astronauts experienced while in spaceflight.

They were given specially concentrated forms of Dramamine in a mixture designed just for the space program. They were fast dissolving strips of the medicine, to be placed underneath the tongue for very rapid absorption into the blood stream.

While they did function adequately, sometimes an astronaut came along that either wasn’t affected at all by the medicine, or just the opposite happened: He or she was affected too much, and the feeling of sickness increased.

The worst possible thing that could happen to an astronaut, inside an EVA suit on a spacewalk, would be getting sick and vomiting inside the suit. Yes, there were worse things that could happen, such as getting disconnected from their umbilical tie down.

But if something like that disconnect happened, they’d have time – not much, mind you, but some – to try and recover themselves and use the nitrogen powered MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit) to right themselves and bring them back to the orbiter.

Not everyone on an EVA would wear an MMU, of course, but even so, astronauts rarely went out on EVA in singles, they always went out in pairs and at least one was in an MMU.

Vomiting inside a spacesuit presented an entire plethora of problems: The inability for the astronaut to communicate for some crucial moments; the lack of visibility caused by the expelled stomach acid more than likely coating the inside of the face mask; and one other major problem surfaced. The vomit itself would become just as weightless as anything else, and simply begin to float inside the helmet.

The usage of hypnosis for controlling the space-motion sickness worked out better than they possibly imagined. Even taking the astronauts into a very light trance garnered immediately noticeable affects of control over the feelings they were suffering.

The need for the Dramamine strips gradually declined and almost phased out of the spaceflight program completely, but it still remains as a throwback to the old school.

Mariah was excited to see hypnosis integrated into the program. Her class schedule didn’t allow her to study with Alex directly, but one time when she was on a break she did happen upon one of his sessions in progress. She walked in just as the Psychologist was getting past the induction part of the trance and started working on the deepening.

The look of peace and contentment was what triggered the memory of the past as she now found herself staring at Alex once more, in their hotel room. Coming back from her own reverie, she turned towards the bathroom and headed off.

After several minutes, she came out and noticed Alex was not sitting on the bed any longer. He wasn’t lying on it either, much to her dismay. Her suggestions, as given, would have left most people laid out on the bed after a few minutes, lost in deep relaxation and drifting.

Alex was coming back in from the balcony area, still looking relaxed and peaceful.

“You tried to hypnotize me, Mariah. No, you did hypnotize me. Any particular reason you did that?” he asked, a straight forward question demanding a straight forward answer. So much in control, once again.

She looked down briefly, then right back at him. “You don’t know how to relax anymore, do you, Alex?”

“What the hell does relaxation have to do with hypnosis?” he asked, realizing before he even finished the sentence just how ridiculous his question actually was.

Mariah stared him down for it, not letting up on her piercing gaze for even one second.

“Alex, I just want you to relax with me, I told you before: we have all the time in the world now. Can I tell you something I’ve noticed, just from tonight? Something I’ve never noticed before in all our time together but became so clear just a short time ago?”

“Sure, why not,” he smirked. She didn’t like the tone of his voice, and unbeknownst to her, neither did he.

“You’re a control freak, Alex. You always have been, always needing to be in control of everything around you: the people, the situation, and the variables, all of it. And it’s tearing you apart now because the control of your most valuable and cherished quest in your entire life – to be a Shuttle Commander – was just ripped out from under you.”

She had a point. Several, actually, but he wasn’t in the mood to get into it right at that moment. He stepped over and sat back down on edge the bed.

“Mariah, I thought that for tonight, we agreed back in the restaurant to forget about everything outside that door, for once. Did I miss something?” he asked as the sadness and sorrow welled up from deep inside.

She walked over to him and stood between his knees. She ran her hand through his hair slowly, bringing it down to the back of his neck again.

“Alex, look at me. Tell me what I can do for you, what I can do to help,” she asked.

“Just what you’re doing right now is pretty nice, actually…” his voice dropping off at the last word. “And, you’re right about it, I’ve always been in control, always. It’s part of who I am, my carefully constructed persona I put on for the world. My mask, if you will. And I can’t seem to figure out how to take it off. It’s killing me right now, Mariah… I just… I just don’t know where I’m going now…” and he collapsed into her, crying.

“So I noticed, at the MCC, at the restaurant, and even downstairs at the Front Desk. But that’s not who you really are, is it, Alex?”

“No, it’s not. But, I’m scared, Mariah. Right now I’m more scared than I’ve ever been in my entire life, and it’s not because I’m in your arms, something I’ve wanted from the moment I laid eyes on you years ago. It’s because I’m not in control anymore, and I need direction. I don’t know how to just… just… I don’t know, to let go… I don’t know if I can do that, just let it all go and start all over again. I’m no spring chicken, you know.”

He was smiling directly at her as he said it, defying the tears coming from his eyes.

She looked down into his tearful eyes, smiling herself. “Alex, I can help you, right now, this night, I can help. Do you trust me?” she asked.

“What a silly question, woman. Of course I trust you, I trust you completely.” He grabbed her around the waist tightly and pulled her into him, losing himself in her warm embrace.

“Alex, I know you do, but it’s important that we communicate these things. Just because I know you trust me, well, trust is like love in a lot of ways. You can’t have love without trust, at least that’s what I believe. If you don’t say you trust me, if you don’t say you love me, it wears thin after a while, understand?”

“Of course I do, but this is new territory for me, you know. You’re the first woman that has even kissed me in six years.” He winced at the recollection of that last kiss, a relationship long since past but one that was deep enough to remember forever.

“Ok, I want you to think back to about six and half years ago, remember the classes we attended on maintaining internal control of our space-motion sickness, using hypnosis?

“Sure, I remember that, it was a great experience for me, I remember distinctly how deeply I… I… that’s it… that’s IT…” his voice rising in intensity at the last “IT” he spoke.

Mariah stepped back as Alex came to his feet in almost no time at all. He was excited about something, and unfortunately at this particular moment, it wasn’t her.

“THAT’S IT… That’s where I remembered it from.” He began to pace back and forth, running one hand through his hair; the other went into his pocket.

She had seen him do this many times in the past: it was his “deep thought” walk. Back and forth, pacing, faster and faster, lost deep in himself to the exclusion of his environment. And just as quickly as it began, he froze. Then he turned to her.

“I wanna say ‘eureka’, Mariah, but I don’t think that word adequately describes what I just figured out. My God, it was there all the time, I just forgot it.” He stared right through her for several seconds, and then before she realized it, he was all over her, lifting her high into his arms clean off the floor.

“Thank you, very much, I can’t thank you enough. I can’t describe what you just gave me, and by the look on your face, you haven’t got a clue about what the hell I’m babbling on about, do you?”

And then he smiled. Not just a regular old, “hi how are you smile” or even a “wow I feel great smile” or even the great “this is one fantastic day” smile. This was something she had never seen on his face before.

It could only be described as an “Oh my God I just realized something that is going to change my life” smile. And she still had no idea what caused it.

“Alex, talk to me, what the hell just happened?”

“Mariah, you triggered something in me that’s been hidden for so many years I thought I’d never find it again. Let me try to explain. Years ago, after that session at KSC with the Psych people, I realized that when I was in trance, even that light trance, I let go. I didn’t have to be in control anymore; I could just sit back, close my eyes, and take a deep breath and let it all go. It was the most totally liberating experience of my entire life, and I forgot about it, for all these years.”

He was in tears now, staring into her eyes, but she recognized them for what they truly were: tears of joy.

She hugged him as tightly as she possibly could, finally understanding two things at once: one, she was right on the money guessing what the problem was, as her intuition had never really failed her; and two, she could help him just as she stated. Now the real work begins.

”Alex, I’m so happy for you. I had no idea exactly what was wrong. I sensed earlier that your control issues came to a head today because of the letter, and I guess I was right. But we can use this now. We can fix this, so to speak. If that’s what you want. It is what you want, isn’t it, to learn to give up some of that control that’s keeping you in so much pain?”

“Yes, that’s exactly it. Wow, it’s… I feel exactly like I did so many years ago, it’s amazing. Wow… I can’t say anything else, just wow.” He was pacing again, but there was a spring in his step that wasn’t there before. This was a serious emotional release for him. She had to play the hand correctly so it just became a win-win situation for the both of them now.

“Alex, come sit down. We need to talk for a moment.” She held out her hand, and he froze once again when he saw it. She broke his pattern for the third time tonight and he took her hand. They walked to the bed where she eased him down, sitting on his left.

“Do you know what I was doing earlier, whenever I did this,” and she allowed her left hand to rise up his back landing right at the base of his neck once more. Now that he understood what she was trying to do, he relaxed into it, and as her hand gently squeezed, he let it go, just as he so desperately wanted to.

He almost collapsed into her on the bed this time. She jerked her right arm forward catching him by the shoulder and pushed him back upright.

“Whoa there tiger, don’t pass out on me. But you didn’t answer my question: Do you know what I was doing?” she asked again.

“I’m not absolutely sure, but I think you were trying to get me to relax,” he guessed.

“Exactly. I was triggering something we Humans have called ‘the relaxation response’. We all have it, it’s something I learned about years ago in my Psychology training. When you can get someone to relax, to really relax even just one time, it becomes much easier to get back to that state of relaxation the second, and third, and fourth times. ‘Repetition is the mother of all skill’, you know.”

He laughed again at that. All the crew staff on STS-123 were so used to hearing that mantra it became a “trigger” of sorts.

It was a founding principle of the space program, actually. Do it, do it again, then do it again. When you’re absolutely sure you did it right every time, do it again, then again and again and again. You continue doing it until you don’t even think about it anymore.

And yes, even then, you do it one more time, just in case.

But he understood her point. He thought back to the first time he felt her hand on his neck this evening, when she pulled him to her in the parking lot. He allowed the memory to come back to him, effectively doubling up on him in the moment because, as he was remembering that feeling from earlier in the evening, she was presently squeezing his neck.

“Man, that feels so good, Mariah. It really feels so good, I had no idea just a touch could feel like this… Mmmm…” and he drifted on that low moan coming from him.

She continued to squeeze gently, and then put her right hand directly over his heart.

“Alex, what would you like to happen tonight, can you tell me? I mean, I know what I want, but I didn’t ask what you want. Remember, we have to talk to one another. I want you tonight, all of you, once and for all.” And with that she laid her head on his left shoulder and hugged him gently.

Overcome with excitement, lust, fear, grief, passion and desire, he simply hugged her back, unsure of what exactly he should be doing right now. They sat there, in each other’s arms for quite some time.

A knock on the door interrupted their brief respite from the moment.

He rose from the bed, kissing her gently on the forehead. “Don’t move,” he said in a whisper.

He gazed into the peephole and saw what appeared to be a uniform of some kind and a pushcart. Opening the door, he was greeted by another young man, overly enthusiastic in some respects, but glowing with what appeared to be pride.

“Mr. Montgomery, gosh, hi, it’s an honor to meet you, sir. I’m Trendon, and I’m delivering your complimentary champagne, as well as a selection from the kitchen. Our… our Manager was on duty as you left the lobby this evening. When he discovered you were here, he got me on it right away.”

“Alex is everything ok?” she asked, coming to the doorway. As soon as the Bellboy saw her he unconsciously jerked. His whole body looked like it spasmed, actually.

“WOW, Mrs. Callaghan, I didn’t… I mean… I don’t… oh crap.” He just went quiet at that point, shuffling his feet and looking down at them as he did so.

Mariah stepped forward to see what the cart contained, wedging herself in between Alex and the Bellboy. “This looks fantastic, to whom do we owe the pleasure and the thanks.”

Alex interrupted quite sure that Trendon wouldn’t be able to form a complete thought. Mariah tended to have that effect on men, especially younger men.

“So, Trendon is it? You seem to know us in a manner that just knowing our names would betray. I take it you know us because…” and let the question just linger there, in mid-air hoping he’d take the bait. Sure enough, he did.

“Well sir, and ma’am, I’m a student at UH studying engineering and physical science, a double major. My intention is to go into the space program at my earliest convenience. So I’m well versed on current programs and… personnel.” He blushed strongly at that remark.

“So,” Mariah said, “we might be training you in a few years. That’s wonderful news, but you have to do something about that confidence, darling. Look at me.”

He was struggling to do it; that much was obvious. So she helped.

She reached out and lifted his chin, bringing him to eye level. “Look at me. You’re a handsome young man, and if you’re doing well in school, you’re already on your way. No need to be ashamed of that. But do us a favor, ok? Don’t spread the word tonight that we’re here, ok?”

He looked into her deep blue eyes. “Yes Ma’am, I won’t say a word to no one,” that thick Texas drawl was so cute as it came off his tongue.

Alex shook his hand firmly, looking him in the eyes and palming off a $20 bill and said, “Mums the word. And good luck, Trendon. Thanks.”

Trendon was effectively walking on air as he headed back to the elevators, the money pale in comparison to the experience of meeting not one but two of his heroes.

As they wheeled the cart into the room, Mariah began lifting the covers on the plates. “Oooo… a cheese and cracker platter. Boy they went all out with this one, spared no expense.” She began to giggle herself into a laughing fit, and Alex took note of it.

“What’s so funny? Come on, tell me. We’re supposed to be talking here. Spill it woman before I tickle it out of you.” He began to reach for her and she literally jumped like a cat to get out of his reach.

“No, no, no, no, no I can’t take tickling, you know that… so back off.” The grin she now had on her face calmed him for some reason. His face just seemed peaceful again, right in that moment.

“What is that look about?” she wondered aloud.

“It’s Trendon. I’m thinking about Trendon now, and what you said to him, about us possibly training him in a few years. You’re right, you know. And, I think I’m ok with that now.” He went over to sit on the bed once more, relaxing onto the mattress slowly, almost melting into it as he lay back slowly.

She walked over and lay down beside him, her hand making small circles on his stomach.

”So, what do we do now, Hmmm? Have anything on your mind right now?” he blurted out, in a sexy voice she hadn’t heard before.

“Well, you know, right? I mean, you know right… an astronaut’s ultimate sexual fantasy…” she rolled towards him, a gleam of excitement in her eyes.

“Oh… that fantasy. Of course I know that one. All too well actually, too bad we’ll never be able to make it real,” he sighed out a deep breath with that, his voice sounding like a dream had just died. Another dream gone.

Mariah thought about it for a few moments, and then sat straight up on the bed. The speed at which she rose caused Alex to snap up onto his elbows and look directly at her.

“What? What’s wrong? Did I say something?” he asked, totally unsure if it was the right thing to say, afraid to ruin the moment.

“Alex, you dear man you, you’re brilliant, even when you don’t know it.” She lay across his chest, her arms slipping around his waist inside of his arms. They just sat there for a few moments until she rose to look him directly in the eyes.

“We can make that dream come true, Alex. Maybe not in physical reality, but with hypnosis, we can make it happen.”

She spent a brief amount of time going over the idea that was bouncing around inside her head. With every word she spoke he became increasingly aroused at the idea. Based on what she was saying, they could really do this, at least in principle.

Our unconscious minds can’t differentiate between real physical reality and fantasy. That’s why stage hypnotists are so popular.

Once someone slips into a trance, if a suggestion is made that they’re clucking around onstage like chicken, their unconscious minds won’t stop to judge the suggestion. It simply obeys it, and the person begins to cluck around like a chicken – assuming of course that the person knows how a chicken acts to begin with and they’re cool with the suggestion at an unconscious level.

Stage hypnosis is typically for real, with fast inductions catching people off guard, taking advantage of some principles of Psychology and physical response. It’s fun stuff to watch when a true professional is at the reigns.

Mariah was planning to use hypnosis and posthypnotic suggestions to give the both of them an altered state of consciousness that would leave them feeling weightless and floating. It was something they both had experience with, of course.

NASA routinely uses a KC-135 Low-G Flight Research aircraft for microgravity training. The aircraft is used to fly in parabolas, up and down like the horizon view of a range of hills, flying up to the top of the curve, and then back down again. Doing this in one long repeated flight causes a microgravity environment to form inside the gutted out and specially padded cabin as the plane begins the nosedive at the top of each parabola.

The cabin is padded because you’d hate to slam into a wall or floor when the gravity returns to Earth normal. Imagine a padded room from a mental health facility inside a plane cabin, throw in the microgravity environment and you’ll get the right idea.

Although the microgravity portions of the flights only last 20-30 seconds at a time, it’s enough to instill the reality of the experience into the mind. If it’s in your mind, hypnosis can make it real, anytime, and anyplace.

She explained the process of the induction, the deepening then leaving the post hypnotics. He absorbed her every word, not wanting to miss one detail of her short tutorial.

“Wait,” he asked, “what about you? How are you going to experience this? I can’t hypnotize you; I wouldn’t know where to start.”

“Oh, don’t worry I’ll take care of that as well. Ok, so are we ready to begin?” she asked, brimming over with enthusiasm for what was about to happen.

“Uhmmm… I suppose, let’s make sure we’re clear about this. We’re going to experience weightlessness, here, in this room, as though we were in space, and,” he struggled to find the confidence to say it, “lots of hot freaky sex, right?”

Mariah began to laugh, softly at first, but then it just all came out. The sheer insanity of what they were about to embark upon was just too humorous for her. She had wanted him for so long, as long as he wanted her, and now it was about to happen. Not quite the way they had planned, of course, but this would just have to do.

As she came down off that brief endorphin high, she stood up, took Alex by his hands, kissed him lightly on the lips, and led him to the bathroom. He followed along behind her, letting her take control. It was a small gesture to most, but to him, letting her lead, was only the beginning for him.

“Small steps, Alex, small steps,” he thought to himself.

A speech came ringing into his mind from so long ago:

”One… small step for man… one giant step… for mankind…”

In that moment he knew this was where he was meant to be. All the time together with Mariah over the years, all the missions, the training, the flights, all of it led up to this moment. “Can I do this?” he continued to ask himself.

You’re in control right now, Alex, his inner voice chided him, you’re choosing this. It’s a good kind of control, the best of all, and it’s that control you exert over yourself. The world outside this room is meaningless for this night. Right now the only control you need to worry about is not coming too fast, ok?

He giggled to himself as the thought entered, then passed.

“What are you laughing at now, Alex?” she asked as they reached the doorway to the bathroom.

“Mariah, I just realized I should have done this many years ago, that’s all. It just now became so clear in my mind, the feelings I’ve kept buried inside, the emotions, the… control. And this is the only control that really matters.”

And with that comment he took her in his arms and kissed her as deeply as he could. He had been effectively married to his career since college, so that didn’t afford him anywhere near the time he would have liked to have spent learning about the most fascinating experiment of all: Love.

But he was damned sure giving it his best college try, as noted by the fact that Mariah’s knees weren’t quite keeping her standing so tall right now. His arms underneath hers were effectively allowing her to keep in an upright position. Without his support, she’d be laid out flat on the carpet by now.

As they pulled apart, her eyes slowly coming back under her control, she looked into his and only had the strength for one word.

“Wow.”

He simply smiled back, running his hand through that silky smooth hair once more. God she felt so good. You can kick yourself later, let’s get this show on the road his voice once more prodding him into action.

Mariah finally caught her breath and spoke: “Go use the bathroom, Alex, because we’re going to be occupied for a few hours. Now move, soldier,” playfully swatting him on the ass as he walked into the bathroom.

“Phew,” she mouthed out loud, fanning herself with her hands, hoping to cool down before he came back into the room.

Girl, I hope you know what you’re doing here, there are a lot of variables in your lives…

“I know what I’m doing,” she reminded herself. “Finally, I know exactly what I’m doing.”

Alex came out, returned to her side and kissed her lightly on the cheek. “Your turn, now get moving, soldier,” returning the playful smack to her backside.

She strode off into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. She stepped to the mirror, looking at herself for the woman she is. “I’m in control now. I’m in control. I’m in… control… right?” and she began to cry, so softly no one would have noticed even if they were standing right there beside her.

This was a bit much, even for her. The best friend she’s ever had, the man she desires more than even her career, mere yards from her, waiting for her to be strong for him. “How do I get myself into these situations?” she asked herself.

You’re right where you want to be, Mariah… right where he wants you to be… now choke it up and go get him…

She wiped the few tears off her cheeks, did her business then went back out to him.

He was standing on the balcony, overlooking downtown Houston. A plane had just taken off from George Bush International airport, a 757, heading west. As she walked up behind him, she slipped her hands around his waist as he leaned on the railing.

“Surprise surprise,” she whispered into an ear. “Come with me, Alex,” reaching out a hand to lead him with.

He turned to face her, gazing into her eyes. They both took one last look at the city below them. So much life taking place, so many people just moving along in their paths, and their journey together was just beginning. He took her outstretched hand and followed her inside.

She led him back to that bed once more, and this time he was quite sure he wouldn’t be leaving it for several hours. That last bit of nervousness twinged his gut just before he sat down. With one last deep breath, one last squeeze of her hand, he let it go, dropping onto the bed.

“Are you ready to begin?” she asked.

“Yes, Mariah, I am. Let’s have some fun.” His smile was honest and true.

“Ok, I want you to take off your jacket, and your shoes. Slide back on the bed and get comfortable.”

He did as she asked, taking off his jacket and tossing over the nearest chair. He slid off his Docksiders and then slid back onto the bed, piling three pillows to prop himself up.

“Comfy yet?” she quizzed him.

“Yep, so, what now?” his voice brimming with excitement at what lay ahead.

“Alex, close your eyes. All you need to do is to listen to my voice. You don’t need to focus on the noise outside, or anything else, not even your own thoughts. All you need to do is listen to my voice.”

He closed his eyes, dropped his arms to his sides and exhaled.

“Good, that’s very good. Now I want you to take a deep breath, inhaling through your nose, hold it… hold it… now exhale through your mouth in a sigh, Alex, don’t force it out, and just let the breath go…”

He inhaled through the nose, held it as she suggested, then began to exhale slowly through the mouth. His shoulders dropped into the pillows, his neck began to sag allowing his head to loll to one side very slightly. His legs turned out, feet dropping to the outer sides of his legs. He was dropping faster than she expected.

“Wow, maybe he’s still in a light trance from earlier… weird,” she thought to herself.

“Now, I’d like you to take another deep breath, the same way. This time let yourself go even more… sliding into relaxation… thoughts of the day slipping away… deeper and deeper now… breathing deeper… and deeper now…”

His chest rose slowly from the next inhale, pausing at its peak, and then slowly shrank back into itself. He was already in a light trance, that much being obvious by the look on his face. His jaw had already relaxed leaving his mouth slightly open, cheeks slack and loose.

“Deeper and deeper… more and more relaxed… now taking another wonderful deep breath as before… and soon, very soon, you will find that your breathing takes on a rhythm of its own… you don’t need to think about it anymore, Alex… you can now focus entirely on my voice… relaxing deeper and deeper with each word I say…”

One last guided deep breath, sinking deeper into the mattress; it looked as if he was a marionette and someone had just his strings. His whole body just… let go. It was one of those things that gave her a mad rush of excitement to witness. Every hypnotist knows that feeling. It’s a power trip, in more ways than one.

“Alex, I want you to sit up. We’re going to try something different,” she asked softly.

His eyes opened, and he pulled himself into an upright and seated position. “Oh really, are you going to break out a pocket watch or a crystal now?” smirking as he said it.

”Nope, just something I’ve been hoping to try for a long time now. I want you to give me your right hand.”

He lifted his right hand and offered it to her.

“Good, now I want you to focus your eyes onto the bridge of my nose, right here,” as she lightly tapped herself in the center of her nose. “Keep your eyes focused here, don’t look into my eyes.”

His blue-grey eyes focused on her nose right where the tip of her finger was.

“Excellent, now don’t take your eyes off my nose, I know it feels weird and you want to look into my eyes, but don’t. Look at the bridge of my nose, Alex,” she uttered, making it a direct command.

She lowered her hand now, his eyes remaining locked at that spot.

“I’m going to count from one to three. When I count three I want you to press down with your right hand with a lot of pressure. You will continue to hold that pressure as long as you possibly can. You can do that, can’t you, Alex?”

“Yes.”

“Ok, one… two… three.”

Alex pushed down hard on her hand. It took her just a brief moment to adjust to the pressure he was applying to her hand, but she managed to steady her own hand keeping him in a static position. Both of them had fantastic upper body strength, but because of his being a man, obviously in a real test of strength she’d never be able to compete.

“Good, Alex, very good. I want you to continue pressing down now, try to press harder if you can, that’s it, there, I felt that… now harder… again, a little harder now… focus your eyes on the bridge of my nose and press down harder, Alex.”

His eyes had already started to glaze over, just barely noticeable in the subdued lighting in the room. Anytime he followed her instructions so far tonight his eyes glazed over.

“He’s a natural at trance,” she thought, “if I had only known…” and the thought gave way to…

“Alex, in a few moments, as you continue pressing down on my hand, you might find your eyelids growing very heavy, and your eyes are getting very tired…” When she said the word “down” her voice slowed drastically, especially drawing out that word for effect.

The pressure he was applying to her hand wavered slightly but it was important that he maintain it, so she said: “Alex, even though your eyes are getting so very tired now, and want to close, you must continue to press down on my hand even more now.”

A sudden resurgence of strength in his arm forced her hand down another few inches before she could recover and hold him steady.

”That’s it Alex, as you continue to push down on my hand your eyes grow even more tired and sleepy now, so tired, only wanting to close… so very tired now as you press down on my hand so strongly…”

With that suggestion, his eyes finally reacted. His eyelids fluttered just for the briefest possible moment and his eyes lost focus as they so very slightly rolled upwards into their sockets.

It was at that exact moment that Mariah yanked her hand completely out from under his, softly but directly speaking the word in a firm tone of voice, “Sleep.”

Alex was gone before his body collapsed back into the pillows.

“Holy shit, it actually worked,” she thought to herself but immediately proceeded to a deepening.

”That’s right, Alex… drifting now, so deep, so much deeper than before… letting it all go now… so deeply relaxed… more and more relaxed with each breath you take… deeper… drifting… let go… relax…”

He was melting into the mattress and pillows at that point. His face was totally slack, his jaw loose and hanging, and his mouth open in that “O” shape. His head lolled off to one side slightly.

“Damn that was fast,” she kept thinking to herself. She had read the hand drop induction a few weeks prior when looking over some hypnosis forums on the Internet. She didn’t think it could drop someone quite that fast, usually preferring a fascination induction or the standard Elman for most subjects.

But the instructions, posted by a known Hypnotherapist in the online community, were something she felt she could trust. Now, looking at Alex deep in trance, she knew it for a concrete fact.

“Deeper now, Alex… so deep now… relaxing more and more… deeper and deeper… drifting… drifting away… floating… let go… just… let… go…”

He sank even deeper into the bed. Just for fun she lifted his right arm. As she let it go, she watched it slam back down onto the bed like so much dead weight.

Ok girl, get to the good stuff…

“Alex, I’m going to ask you some questions now, and with each question I ask and each answer you give, you will find yourself drifting deeper and deeper into trance, deeper and deeper into relaxation… do you understand?”

With supreme effort as evidenced by the look on his face, he said, “Yessss,” slurring the end of the word.

“Alex, I want you to think back, to a time in the past… the memories will return to your mind easily… I want you to think of the flights we took during training… the zero-G hops in the KC-135… can you remember those flights for me, Alex?”

“Yes.”

“I want you to remember the moments of weightlessness for me… remember, Alex, remember what it felt like inside to be weightless… floating… comfortable… having the greatest time of your life… smiling… happy… knowing that you’d experience this someday in space… the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for you… remember the floating, Alex… remember…”

As she instructed him to recall those wonderful times, his face took on a very happy grin, interrupting the peaceful look – but in a good way, as serenity gave way to happiness.

”Tell me how you feel, Alex, when you’re floating, weightless,” she asked.

“Wonderful… it’s… amazing… I love this feeling… I just wish it could last longer…” he breathed out, continuing to smile widely.

“Alex, listen to me closely. For the rest of our evening together, you will continue to have this feeling. You know that you’re here, with me, together finally. But this warm, comfortable feeling of floating, this feeling of weightlessness will continue tonight, it will not leave you until the morning when you awaken. You will feel as if you’re back inside that plane, constantly floating, constantly weightless. The world around you will shift as you notice your weightlessness. It will be as real to you as it was on that plane, do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“Good… now in a few moments, I’m going to count from one to five. With each number I count you will find yourself becoming more aware of your surroundings. When I count five, you will open your eyes, easily adjusting to the feeling of weightlessness as I sit next to you on the bed. The disorientation will only last a moment and then it will become completely normal for you. The feeling will remain until we both awaken from our normal sleep in the morning.”

“When you awaken, you will turn to look at me, and speak the words, ‘Remember the weightlessness, Mariah, remember,’ and then you’ll wait for me to awaken from my trance. Do you understand, Alex?”

”Yes.”

Unbeknownst to Alex, this fantasy of having weightless sex for Mariah was far more than just a passing fad. She had dreamed of it since her early teens, always wondering what it would be like countless times.

When the idea of hypnosis entered her life, she realized long ago that because of the altered reality one can experience when in a deep trance, even if she never got into space as she so desperately desired, she could make that fantasy come true.

Doing research into hypnosis while in college was the stepping stone. Getting onto one of those KC-135 planes the first time was the second. She actually experienced a light orgasm the first time she became weightless on one of those zero-G hops.

She wasn’t prepared for that, of course, and the look of shock on her face as the feeling overtook her was outweighed by the sheer joy of that dream of being weightless finally coming true – in more ways than one.

During the hypnosis training at KSC, she became enamored of one of the trainers and they shared a short but fulfilling relationship that summer. He taught her as much as he knew about hypnosis; she repaid him by fulfilling some fantasies of his own. It was a mutually beneficial relationship, in many ways.

He was the one that discovered her dreams of weightless sex, and suggested they give it a shot using deep hypnosis. While he never had the experience of one of the zero-G hop flights, she did, and that was more than enough for him. In her trance-enhanced sexual frenzy, she regularly fucked him quite senseless.

Again, it was mutually beneficial for both.

The trigger phrase, ‘Remember the weightlessness, Mariah, remember,’ was left behind by that trainer just in case the situation presented itself in the future, and if Mariah trusted someone enough to share it with them, it was almost guaranteed to work. She trusted Alex more than anyone, so she knew it would work once again even though it had been a very long time since its last usage.

“One… coming up now, more and more, feeling so good to float… it feels good to float, Alex… two… more and more aware now… three… arms beginning to feel light, legs, your whole body… floating… four… almost feeling as though you’re completely off the bed now… coming up so easily now… and… five… wide awake, Alex… refreshed relaxed and floating…”

Alex’s eyes fluttered open slowly. The look of happiness was oh so briefly replaced with disorientation, as expected, eyes darting around the room, up to the canopy on the bed, the cart in the middle of the room, the lamp, and finally, Mariah.

“Hi there, stranger…” she said quietly.

“Remember the weightlessness, Mariah, remember,” Alex spoke firmly.

Mariah let herself slip away, loving the feeling of the sensation as it washed over her. It had been so long since she let go to it, too long actually. She drifted away, lowering herself to the mattress beside Alex, her breathing slowing as she slipped into trance.

Alex just watched her, loving the feeling he was now experiencing. He knew what she had told him, in trance. He remembered what they were planning to do, but even so, the experience was freaking him out a bit.

He knew he was lying on the bed, Mariah lying beside him, mere inches away. What he didn’t know was how he felt weightless even though he knew it was impossible, given the present situation.

Trance logic works that way. It has the strongest effect on people when you give them a suggestion that they absolutely know isn’t possible, but they’re experiencing it anyway. The experience becomes enhanced and grows upon itself.

It would be like telling a subject, “As you touch yourself on your right cheek with your right index finger, you feel yourself touching your left knee with your right index finger.” This is a really simple explanation, but it works. The logic part of the conscious knows that you can’t touch two parts of your body with the same finger at the same time, but in trance, it becomes a possibility.

He continued to wonder about what was happening, and then looked down at Mariah. She seemed so peaceful lying there with him. He wanted to speak to her, to touch her, but for some reason he couldn’t find the strength, so he just allowed himself to enjoy what he was feeling as he laid back against the pillows once more.

Mariah stirred, her eyes fluttering open.

“Cool…” was all she could say. Her experience with this sensation was far more pronounced for her due to her having had it many times in the past; but even so, it was wonderful just the same.

She slowly rolled over onto her stomach, rising up on her arms. She looked at Alex, his face a look of total bewilderment.

”So, Alex,” she asked, “tell me how you feel.”

“This is… I… I can’t describe it… it’s weird, actually… but good… does that make any sense at all?”

“Yes, love, it makes perfect sense. Wanna see something cool?” she asked, forcing herself into a seated position.

”Uhmmm… sure,” was all he could blurt out.

She reached up and pulled one of her earrings out, then the other. She looked at Alex and said, “Now, watch closely.”

She slowly lowered her right hand, both earrings in the palm. She quickly took her other hand and smacked herself on the right wrist, the kinetic motion forcing the earrings into the air.

Here’s another interesting thing about trance. If you tell the subconscious something, if you define a reality for it to work with, it will follow the rules of that reality as given.

Alex’s eyes went completely and totally wide with astonishment as he saw the earrings fly up into the air and…

They kept flying… and flying… and flying… all the way to the top of the bed, and then began to slowly float back down, inertia from the impact with the canopy reversing in on itself.

“What the… wait a second… that’s not…” he tried to babble out.

By that time, Mariah was hunched up next to him, whispering in his ear, “Relax, Alex… just relax and enjoy it… don’t think, just feel… just let it all go… now let’s have some fun…” She kissed him full on the mouth once more, her hand on his neck, pulling him into her.

He felt like dead weight, but floating. He wanted so desperately to understand, to figure out what was going on, to… control this situation… but he couldn’t. It was out of his control. He was out of control… and he decided to let it go once and for all.

A calm feeling washed over him as that decision sank into his conscious. He was there, again, where he was so many years ago, where he was earlier in the evening.

Free. Liberated. Not wanting to control, only wanting to follow.

“Mariah…” was the only word he could get out before slipping away completely to her touch.

“Alex, let it go, love… I’ve got you, just relax… I love you… just feel me now… just feel my touch… and let go… let it all go… drift for me… as I drift with you… floating together… peaceful…”

She slowly began to unbutton his shirt with her free hand, while continuing to whisper into his ear to relax and let go.

He was merely floating now, adrift in his own mind, thoughts coming and going, but the feelings were amplified many times because of the focus. The touch of her hand on his chest could only be answered with, “Ooooohhhhh…”

“So you like that, don’t you?” Mariah whispered again into his ear, such sweet whispers, leading him into bliss. He only wanted to follow now, not wanting to do anything else.

Her hands worked over the muscles of his upper chest, then down around his waist as she pulled the shirt tails from his pants. He was so relaxed now, barely able to keep his head up.

“He’s all mine now,” she thought to herself, “finally.”

She coaxed him into sitting up straight so she could remove his Polo shirt up and off him completely. Now she placed her hand back on his neck once more as she spoke again: “Alex, lie back for me, just drop back and let go… you’re safe with me, I’ll take care of you now…” and he dropped back into the pillows so softly it took her own breath away.

She moved down to his feet now, sliding herself off the bed. She pulled off his socks one at a time, dropping them to the floor. Next were his slacks. She undid the belt buckle, popped the button loose and unzipped them. Pulling on them with one quick yank, her hands gripping on his boxers as well as the waistband of the pants themselves, she had them down to mid-thigh with the full pull.

His cock sprang out of hiding, firm, but not totally erect. She just froze for a moment, taking in the beauty of his penis. Alex kept himself shaved, as most of the astronauts did. Body hair could be attributed to a great many things, but in the pubic area, the most obvious was odor.

His cock throbbed in time to the beat of his heart. She felt herself almost being mesmerized by it, but snapped herself back to her current mission.

“Back to work, soldier,” she thought to herself, a grin forming on her face.

The pants came off easily once they were past his knees. Now Alex lay there, deep in trance, willing to surrender everything he was, everything he believed, for her and her love.

She disrobed quickly. Her blouse was first, and then her bra. Her skirt came next, followed by her panties. She thought he would have preferred to watch her undress, but that would come in due time.

Carefully she considered her next move. She staggered slightly as she walked back to the balcony once more. One more last breath of fresh air would bring her the next step, she felt.

Looking out over the cityscape, the lights and the weightless feeling overwhelmed her, and she felt herself falling inward. She caught herself on the railing then decided it best to go back inside, back to Alex.

What are you waiting for, sweetie… stop dallying around and go make love to your man… yes, I said YOUR MAN now… he just gave himself to you, didn’t you see that? Didn’t you hear that when he let go calling out your name? You are so good at this because of me, lady… I’m that part of you that reads people… and now I’m reading you and I don’t like what I see…

”Stop it… stop it please,” she pleaded with herself.

No, I can’t stop this, you can’t stop this, and it has to be done. For the both of you… he needs you, Mariah… go to him, now…

She carefully made her way back to the bed, gazing down on Alex once more. So peaceful he looked, she was so afraid to disturb him at this point. But her own desires were quickly overwhelming that rational part of her mind. She wanted to let go to that side of her just as Alex did.

“Hang on, we’re goin’ for broke,” she thought to herself.

She climbed onto the bed, straddled him at the waist and then spoke to him.

“Alex, love, open your eyes.”

He did as asked and although he wasn’t really conscious of what was happening, his eyes found their home in hers.

“That’s right lover, look deep into my eyes. Feel me as I take you inside, finally… feel my love surround you, envelope you… so warm and comfortable now…” and she impaled herself slowly on his now rigid cock as she spoke the words.

The look on his face, the way his eyes reacted to her softness was magic. She closed her eyes and let go to what she was feeling, oblivious to anything except the feeling of his cock twitching inside her.

A few moments went by and Mariah finally began to rock slowly and steadily on Alex, back and forth, with a rhythm that had hid itself deep inside both of them for years. They came together as one being in that briefest of moments, completing each other finally.

“Floating now Alex, just floating… feeling and floating… can you feel me, Alex, can you feel all of me, surrounding you, exciting you, pushing you closer to that edge?” Her own voice had spiked in frequency and in tone. She was enjoying this more than she thought possible and was afraid she’d lose it too soon.

“Mariah…” was all Alex could muster.

“Deeper Alex, deeper and deeper now… so deeply relaxed… you grow even more relaxed as you float higher and higher with me… we’re now floating above the bed… close your eyes and believe it, my love…”

His eyes fluttered closed and then his arms grabbed hold of her shoulders, pulling her down upon his chest. The feeling of her breasts against him as he kissed her as passionately as he could was bringing him to the brink of madness all too quickly.

“Just feel this, Alex… nothing else… no thoughts… no worries… just feelings now… feel my love for you… feel it grow to consume us… feel it mix with your love as we become one…”

As wave after wave of pleasure washed away whatever traces of his consciousness were left, Alex simply gave up and let go. The orgasm that hit him caused his back to arch so strongly he almost threw Mariah off his body completely.

The magic really happened when his movement, coupled with her already altered state of consciousness, actually gave her body the signal that she was indeed weightless for a split second of time.

Her mind and body coupled together, and she came with him almost simultaneously as he continued thrusting into her. The pleasure caressed every inch of her body, more so at the points of contact with his as his orgasm gradually began to fade. His body merely twitched at every touch they shared now.

Slowly, his back straightened and he lowered not only himself but Mariah as well back down to the comfort of the bed. Still lost inside his trance, his breathing began to return to normal as he floated back down.

After several minutes of them just lying there, together, Mariah spoke.

“Alex, in a moment I will count from 1 to 5. When I count 5 you will open your eyes, and return to full waking consciousness. You will still feel the weightlessness until the morning when we both get out of bed, do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“1… 2… 3… 4… and 5, wake up Alex.”

His eyes slowly opened, only to be greeted by her smiling face.

“To say ‘whoa’ would be an understatement,” he said as he raised his arms to his forehead to run his fingers through his hair. “That was…”

“Magnificent? Stupendous? Splendiferous? Amazing? Delightful? Shall I go on?” she laughed.

“You always did have a way with words, now come here,” he said as he pulled her tightly to him, his lips finding hers to shut her up. They kissed each other with a love they had wanted to express for such a long time, it was almost about to bring tears to their eyes.

“So what now?” Alex asked.

“Now we rest, we have a lot to do tomorrow. Sleep, Alex, just sleep now… sleep…”

He was out before she finished the sentence, and she was close behind.

In the morning, Alex awakened first. He carefully removed himself from the bed, doing his best not to disturb her. As he swung his legs off the side of the bed, the weightless feeling slammed down on him. Being weightless is described by people that experience it as “your body moving and your brain catching up with the movement about 1 second later.”

As his feet touched the floor, he took in a deep breath and stood up. As soon as he did so, the feeling vanished.

“Wow,” he muttered silently to himself. “We’ll definitely have to do this again.”

He walked to the balcony to take a look at the new day but was distracted by a knocking at the door. He walked over, looked through the peephole and could have sworn that…

Opening the door he found himself face to face with Trendon once more.

“Don’t you ever leave, Trendon?” Alex laughed.

“I switched shifts with a friend, Mr. Montgomery. I wanted to see you both before you left today. You are checking out today, correct, sir?”

“Yes, Trendon, and for God’s sake, don’t call me sir, it’s Alex,” he said reaching out to shake hands.

The look on his face was absolutely priceless once more. Trendon didn’t know what to do so Alex stepped closer. Trendon then got the signal loud and clear and grabbed Alex’s hand with enthusiasm and shook it vigorously.

“Well now, what do we owe the pleasure of this morning’s visit,” Alex asked.

“With the compliments of the Chef, I present breakfast for two, great American style.” Trendon lifted the cover on the tray and Alex saw two very scrumptious looking plates of eggs, bacon, hash browns and French toast, with a pot of coffee and a carafe of OJ on the side.

”Wow, that’s… that looks fantastic. Thank you, Trendon. Wait here a moment.”

Alex stepped back inside leaving the young bellman standing nervously in the hallway. He went to his pants, withdrawing something from his wallet. He returned to the doorway and offered it to Trendon.

“Oh no, sir—Alex… I can’t take another tip honestly; I just wanted to say it was nice to meet you before you left.”

“Trendon, it’s not a tip.”

Only then did Trendon actually take note of what Alex was offering him. It was a business card – Alex’s business card.

“Call me next week, if I’m not there, leave a message and some form of contact information. I’ll check in on your grades at UH and if they’re up to spec, I’ll be calling you. Deal?”

Trendon had never been so at a loss for words in his whole life.

“HELL YES it’s a deal,” he screamed out. Typical Texan, Alex thought, smiling right back at him.

“Ok, now let me get this inside before it gets cold. Thank you again, Trendon.”

Once more they shook hands, and this time Trendon didn’t just walk away on air, he ran.

Wheeling the cart into the room, Alex noticed Mariah coming out of the restroom.

”That was really sweet what you just did. He’ll be blabbering on about it for weeks, you know,” she said as she came to his side, kissing him lightly on the neck.

Oh how he loved the way she touched him. In one night he came to understand that yes, she was the one, she always had been. Her lips on his neck at that moment only clarified it.

“Mariah, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for never noticing…”

“Noticing what, love?” she asked, cradling his face in her soft hands.

“You.”

The tears came fast and hard for her in that moment and she merely closed her arms around him, hugging so tightly she thought she might hurt him.

“Oh God Mariah, I’m so sorry…” and they were both lost in tears.

Agony and ecstasy are twins of power for us Humans. They give us the meaning for pretty much everything we do in our lives. We can rise to any challenge set before us, achieve things that no one dared dream possible, and yet we can also go so low as to experience pain and suffering so deep even God himself couldn’t help us recover from it.

But for all of it, love still becomes the reason to survive. If you can find it just once, if even for a brief moment, so many things become clear to you, things that you just can’t see unless your eyes have been truly opened by possibility.

In that moment, Alex and Mariah saw exactly what it meant to them. They walked hand in hand to the balcony, looking out on a brave new world for each of them.

It was going to be a beautiful day.

FIN

* * *