The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Disclaimer: Contains literary material intended for adult audiences.

Author’s Note: This short was written as a sort of gift to the fabulous author 321. Some character and story elements in this short reference some of his stories, so it may help to be familiar with his work, in particular Hostel. And if you haven’t read his work, I would very highly recommend doing so. While this does take place in his universe, as of now it is not to be taken as canon. With that said, I hope you are able to enjoy the little idea I had.

* * *

Antithesis

“It’s me.” Dawn made no attempt to mask the defeat in her voice. She continued to look around the busy Tegel airport, but she had already given up hope.

“I lost her in the crowd.” She didn’t even think it was possible. That was only something that happened in the movies, right? She had been closing in on her target. Just a few more feet, and everything would have been fine. But then some wheeled luggage tripped her up, and the man that could only be described as a giant might as well have pushed her to the floor himself with how little he did to stop her fall when she stumbled into him. He may have apologized, but Dawn didn’t recognize the language.

By the time Dawn was back on her feet, the woman was nowhere to be found. She had studied her picture for so long, burning the image into her memory. Long, flowing blonde hair, tied back in a ponytail. A designer denim jacket. Some black yoga pants that gave no doubt as to how well the woman took care of herself. It wasn’t until now that Dawn realized how frustratingly common these features were. Every hint of what she was looking for in the crowd only managed to distract her attention. A blonde here, but too short. The right pants there, but different top.

“No, it’s too late.” She must have been up and down this section a dozen times. And a dozen times she had given herself a false sense of hope that the next time would be different. The next corner she turned, the next blonde she spotted… it would be the right person, and then she’d have her. Didn’t Einstein say something about that? Her legs were getting tired, and despite her elevated heart rate, the cold was getting to her. It’s summer, why the fuck is it so cold in here?

“She must already be through security.” She rubbed her arm for warmth as the vacation goers flowed around her.

“I’m telling you, I can’t get to her.” He wasn’t listening. God, she wished she didn’t have to put up with him. “Well what the hell do you want me to do?!” she shouted into the phone.

Dawn flinched. The last thing she needed was to draw attention to herself. She looked around, but no one seemed to care. And why would they? They don’t know what I’m doing.

“Look, we have her address. I can get her there, but… I need my passport.” She knew there was no way she’d be able to get back in time for the same flight. The next, though… “Oh, I’m sorry, I guess I just left it in my other purse, where I carry my birth certificate and all the other things that people have on them at all times!”

She pinched the bridge of her nose and shivered. Too cold. “There’s got to be another way to get her number. I- Yes, I know. I said I know! Just keep trying, okay?! Call me when you have something!”

Dawn shoved the phone back into her pocket, grateful to not have to listen to his whining any longer. She let out a deep sigh before turning back towards the exit. Chicago better have warmer weather.

* * *

She had such strong hands. As they pushed my legs open, I couldn’t have stopped them. I didn’t want to stop them.

She gave me a look that turned my muscles to jelly. She kept those deep, hazel eyes on mine as she leaned in to kiss my inner thigh. The softest of kisses, one after another, trailing up my leg.

I wanted nothing more than to just reach out, grab her by her luxurious hair, and pull her lips into me, but I knew I wouldn’t have the strength in my other arm to keep myself propped up. Then again, once her tongue reached my cunt, I likely wouldn’t have the strength with both arms to do so.

She was slowing down, teasing me, making me wait. I hated her. I loved her. Just another inch. I could feel each puff of her warm breath. It chilled my skin, covered in sweat as it was. I was greedy, but she was the one that initiated round two.

Her eyes said it all. She was ready. I braced myself as she—

Knock knock

Marissa looked up from her book to study the door. Why now? No one visits, not at this time of the day. How could a salesman even hope to accomplish anything when most tenants were either at work or school, anyways?

Well, she wasn’t going to let that stop her. She returned to her book, retreating a few paragraphs to allow the scene to build up again. Let the pest stand outside the door while she has her hand in her panties. They’ll be none the wiser as to what she’s doing. Serves them right for being such a nuisance. Then they’ll be off, and she can continue with her—

Knock knock knock

Louder this time. Marissa closed her eyes and pushed an exasperated sigh out her nose. She could feel her arousal start to ebb. She wondered if it would be faster to just send them on their way. She could give them a piece of her mind while she was at it. Then she could get back to her reading, hopeful that the moment won’t have been ruined by then. With another sigh, she dog-eared the page and set the book on the coffee table. Sorry, Lara. I’ll be back.

She approached the door. “Who is it?” she called out, her hand resting on the lock.

“Diamonds Escort Company, here for ze lady’z appointed… service,” came the sultry voice from the hallway, albeit with a strange accent.

Marissa’s eyes widened as she flipped the lock. She opened the door with such force that her long, brown hair went flying. Before her stood a woman her own age with a wicked grin and a twinkle in her eyes. She was pressed against the door frame in the most ridiculous manner Marissa could have imagined.

Marissa squealed as she threw herself at the woman. Her approach was halted by the hand that was brought up and covered her face.

“Non non,” the woman tutted. “Ze lady haz non paid yet. Ze lady must non touch.”

Marissa slapped the hand away and smirked. “For someone that just came back from Germany, your French accent is horrendous.”

The woman took on a more natural position as she continued to lean against the door frame, adjusting her denim jacket in the process. “For someone that’s never left the city, you’re not as smart as you think you do.” She savored the sound of Marissa’s giggle before inviting her in for a hug.

Marissa lunged at her, causing the woman to take a step backwards lest they both fall to the floor. As the embrace began to drag on to an awkward length, Marissa squeezed harder, shaking her friend side to side on her feet. “Oh my GAWD, Beth! I’m so happy to see you back!” She scrunched her face and pulled away. “Wait… why are you back? I thought you said you’d be gone another week.”

“What, and miss out on another opportunity to surprise you? I think not!” Bethany skipped past her friend into the apartment, giggling with her hands behind her back as she swayed her shoulders side to side. When she reached the middle of the room, she spun on her heel to face Marissa once again. “So! Were you?”

It was just like Bethany to pull pranks like this at any opportunity. But it had been — what, three? — weeks since Marissa last saw her. She wasn’t expecting her friend to come back until next month. She felt like she should be upset for being played once again, but she was just too happy to have her back. She couldn’t muster up the anger.

Marissa let her body relax. “Nah, not really.” She turned her head away, but kept her eyes on Bethany, judging her reaction.

“Hah! You’re a terrible liar, you know.” She walked up as Marissa closed the door to pull her into another hug.

“I missed you,” Marissa said, letting her head rest on Bethany’s shoulder.

“Yeah, you already said as much in every text message you sent me! You should be glad they have good wifi in Berlin. I don’t want to imagine what my phone bill would be otherwise!”

“Oh! Oh!” Marissa jumped up and down, giving Bethany an excited smile. She had so many things to ask about her trip, but the only thing that came out was a stuttered, “Ge-Germany!”

Bethany let out a hearty laugh, knowing full well what was going through her friend’s mind. “Don’t worry, don’t worry. I’ll tell you all about it, for sure. But first, I need a shower! Mind if I use yours?” She didn’t wait for a response. “I tell you, that flight was lo~ng, and the guy next to me kept leaning on me in his sleep. Dirty ol’ perv probably was doing it on purpose! Ugh, and you wouldn’t believe how disgusting my uber driver was. I tell you, I had half a mind to just walk home from O’Hare, it was that bad! It’s Uber Black from now on for this gal.”

Bethany was already off down the hallway before she finished her rant, and Marissa could only watch in stunned amusement. It wasn’t long before she could hear the shower running. She sat down on the couch and waited, her book all but forgotten. No erotica could surpass her eagerness to hear about Bethany’s adventures. She was sure that dragons would be involved.

* * *

Humming along to a tune in her head, Bethany wrapped herself up in a towel. She held it closed with one hand as she went to pick up her discarded clothing from the floor. As she was reaching down, she heard her phone ringing.

She rummaged through her purse and held it up to look at the number. It wasn’t one she recognized, even the format was different. Someone I met during my trip, checking if I made it home safe? She probably shouldn’t answer… International calls aren’t cheap. Isn’t it late over there, anyways? Whatever. She’d make it quick. Far be it from her to disappoint a new friend. “Hello?”

It was a woman’s voice on the other end. “With eyes shut tight, the world unseen…”

There was a familiarity to the words, but Bethany couldn’t place them. She felt nervous, but didn’t know why. Part of her knew something was wrong. She should hang up the phone. She should—

“To sleep, perchance…

A sharp inhale of breath. The hand holding the towel fell limply to her side, the towel cascading to the floor around her feet. “To dream a dream,” Bethany finished, her voice lacking emotion.

Bethany stood still as she stared through the fogged bathroom mirror. The room was silent, interrupted only by the occasional “yes” that escaped her slack mouth every few seconds.

“I must obey.”

* * *

“Hey, Mare?” Bethany called out as she reentered the room. She had changed into a loose gray shirt and some tight shorts. Marissa’s clothes, but she wouldn’t mind. “Please don’t tell anyone that I’m back. I want it to be a surprise for as many people as possible.” She walked with purpose towards the counter where she left her carry-on bag.

Marissa blushed as she looked down at her phone before sliding it into her pocket. She wiggled into an upright position, hoping Bethany didn’t notice her guilty expression. “Uh, sure thing, Beth!” She bit her lip, but Bethany was rummaging around in her bag for something, paying her no attention.

“Aha! Found it!” Bethany turned to Marissa, holding up a small tablet for her to see. “Ready to see an interactive tour documenting my wonderful adventure across Deutschland?”

Marissa leaned back on the couch and crossed her arms. “You don’t have any sex tapes of yourself on there, do you?”

“Puh-lease, you know I wouldn’t cheat on Will. That’s why I only have tapes of lesbian sex, just for you,” she added, winking. “Nah, just some pictures and videos of things. You know, nature, castles, cityscapes. The like.” She walked over and placed the tablet in front of the couch, pushing Marissa’s book to the side.

Marissa watched as her friend clicked on an icon that said ‘Datei.’ A slideshow came up, and she was greeted with the image of a large enclosed space cramped with people pulling luggage. An expansive, curved glass ceiling, ribbed with metal beams, let in light over the spacious interior. Marissa marveled at the unique architecture, having seen nothing like it before. “Where is this?”

“Tegel Airport,” Bethany explained. “It was the first sight that greeted me after I got off the plane. I figured, might as well start from the beginning!”

Bethany was kneeling to the side, reaching over to tap at the keyboard for each slide transition. Marissa thought it strange her friend wasn’t sitting right next to her. From this angle, she wondered if Bethany could even see the screen herself.

Still, Marissa was enjoying the glimpse she got into Bethany’s first day in a foreign land. She wished she could have joined in on the adventure, but got cold feet just before purchasing the tickets. Bethany did her best to instill some confidence in her, but it wasn’t enough. Marissa had hardly ever left the state. How was she going to survive in another country? Another continent, even? She didn’t know any German.

Neither did Bethany, for that matter. If she did, maybe Marissa would have been more open to the idea. But the thought of something happening, with them being so far from home and with such a huge language barrier… It was too much for Marissa.

Bethany had talked about giving up the trip. With Will unable to get the time off from work, if Marissa didn’t join her, she’d have no one to go with.

Marissa wouldn’t stand for it. She knew how much Bethany wanted to go. There was no way she could deal with the guilt of knowing it was her fault Bethany was going to miss out on her dream. Marissa may have been afraid of the dangers, but she knew that only excited Bethany. She’d thrive in that environment, and Marissa assured her that the very slideshow she was now watching was all she’d need to be happy.

And it was working… for the most part. The scenery was beautiful, from the large cities to the sprawling countryside. Even the hostel, despite its outward appearance, seemed like a lovely, quaint place. Bethany assured her she never had a better night’s sleep than there.

Yet, as thrilled as Marissa was for the second-hand experience, she couldn’t help but feel a sense of regret. She could have been there to see these things in person. Better yet, she could have been there with Bethany.

She wondered if Bethany was ever lonely during the trip. There was never any indication of it through their messages, but it’s not like her friend would have admitted to it.

Marissa stifled a sigh. This wasn’t the time for these kinds of ruminations. Her friend was trying to share something with her, she should be focused on that.

An image of a dim room full of people in scandalous attire slid onto the screen. “Ooh, this is Club Trabant!” Bethany explained.

Finally, a place that seemed more Bethany’s style, Marissa thought. She was surprised Bethany hadn’t gone there first thing. Perhaps Bethany really did hook up while there… Marissa laughed, knowing her friend wouldn’t go that far, not even while on vacation. “Looks like a fun place,” she remarked.

“You have no idea, girl! Great music, delicious drinks, and oh so many people. I swear I’ve talked to people from thirty different countries in this one place. You’d be surprised how many countries know some English.”

“Went back there often?” Marissa was surprised. She figured Bethany would have sampled as many different clubs as she could. There must have been something about this one that really appealed to her.

“Well, you know, there was something about that place.” Bingo. “I swear they do something with their drinks. Didn’t matter how drunk I got, or late I stayed out… I always woke up refreshed and hangover free. Of course, it helps that the club was so close to the hostel! But anyways, you should have seen the show they put on just last week. It’s so~o good!”

Marissa looked away from presentation to regard her friend. Bethany was looking right at her, a strange smile on her face. More than that… it seemed like her friend was looking right through her. Must be imagining the show.

“What am I saying? You can see it! I recorded it and have it right here!” There was an awkward pause shared between the two. “Care to?” Bethany inquired, waiting for Marissa’s response.

“Sure,” Marissa responded. It wasn’t really her scene, but if Bethany was excited about something, Marissa was as well. She just hoped Bethany wouldn’t get in trouble for recording it. Would this place have such rules against that? Marissa didn’t know, but at this point, shared in such a private setting, it’s not like anyone would ever find out.

Marissa watched as Bethany tapped at the keyboard, causing a new image to slide onto the screen. It was dark until Bethany clicked on the play button in the center of the image.

The first thing Marissa noticed was the music. Your typical club beat, she assumed. It grew louder and more intricate just as an image began to fade in.

“It’s like nothing I ever saw at a club before,” Bethany informed. Her voice was softer now, barely heard over the thumping bass and soothing melodies that resonated from the tiny speakers in a manner that seemed to defy their quality. “The images are an integral part of the experience. You have to focus on them to truly appreciate the show.”

Marissa watched as the screen came to life. A dazzling display of morphing shapes and vivid colors danced before her eyes. Marissa always appreciated art, and she could tell that a lot of effort was put into this. She wondered how well this video captured the true nature of the show. What would it have been like to be there in person? Surely a wonderful experience. Her stomach knotted once again in regret over her previous skittish behavior.

“That’s it, Marissa. Just keep looking at the screen. Let the music enrapture you. Look closely. Do you see anything?”

Marissa wondered what Bethany was hinting at. She was studying the screen, watching the images move and sway. It was pretty, but there didn’t seem to be anything noteworthy about it. Nothing that would seem important enough for Bethany to draw her focus to.

But then it happened. Marissa noticed a connection between the images and the music. Once she was aware of it, it all made sense. The two were tied together. The colors and shapes flowed and pulsed in time with the music.

It was surreal. Marissa wondered which came first. Was it the music that was driving the movement of the shapes, or perhaps the other way around? Maybe the images were the notation that created the soothing melody that filled her ears.

Marissa found herself right there in the club. She could feel the bass rumble in her chest. She could feel the heat of the surrounding strangers as it warmed her flesh. She swayed to the music, letting it carry her away.

She was staring at the wall, a projection of the images forming on the smooth surface of a white fabric. Shafts of light from the projector could be seen in the smoky air of the club at the edge of her vision. People were dancing beyond it.

A thought crept into Marissa’s mind, for a moment foggier than her surroundings. She tolerated clubs when she was with her friends, but she had never gone to one alone. So why was she here now on her own? It didn’t make sense to her.

The music grew dull, the images less crisp. Something was off, but Marissa couldn’t place it. She didn’t feel comfortable here. She should probably leave.

Then she heard Bethany’s faint voice, just at the edge of awareness.

Of course. She wasn’t alone. Bethany was here with her. Everything would be fine now. She just had to listen to Bethany and everything would be fine. Her chest rumbled once again, soothed by the bass of the music. Her eyes relaxed as they followed the entrancing lights before her.

“Doing so good for me, Mare.” Bethany’s smile had faded, her expression now slack as she repeated the words she was programmed to say. She placed a gentle hand on Marissa’s wrist, now resting limp on the couch. “Keep watching the screen, keep listening to the music, and my voice. Let it take you down. Deeper. So much deeper. Go deeper for me, Mare.”

Marissa’s head began to list to the side as the images consumed her entire vision. The colors and shapes that throbbed along with the beat took her entire focus as she felt herself drifting away. One last thread of consciousness remained, until…

“Sleep.”

Her chin dropped to her chest as Marissa closed her eyes.

* * *

Bethany didn’t even try to stifle a yawn as the car turned onto her street. Such a wonderful vacation, but she was glad to be back. After all the travelling, she was ready to collapse on her bed and sleep the rest of the day away. Hopefully the night, as well.

The car pulled up to her driveway, and Bethany paid the man his fare. She gave him a sleepy thanks and a lazy wave as he drove off. It wasn’t until she glanced up at her door that she noticed the woman sitting on her porch.

“You’re late, Bethany,” Dawn told her. She stood up and looked around. They were alone. Dawn was grateful to finally catch a break.

“Can I help you?” Bethany sized the woman up, trying to judge her intentions. No uniform, so nothing official. Disheveled appearance, likely not here to sell her something...

“It’s me that’s here to help you, Bethany.” The woman brought her thermos up to her lips and took a noisy sip. She broke eye contact to look to the side. “Shit, what was yours again?” she asked herself. “The warlocks one? No… Tired of felt shirts? That doesn’t even make sense…”

The woman wasn’t moving from her spot, and Bethany was getting a nervous feeling from her. At this distance, Bethany could see her muttering to herself. She’s clearly unhinged.

Bethany reached into her purse and wrapped her hands around her phone as she looked to her left. The McIlvrieds’ beat up Honda wasn’t in the driveway, likely not home. The other way, Mr. Wehrly had his porch light on, a sign that he was out as well. Bethany didn’t want to turn her back to check across the street. If this woman made a move, she’d have to—

“Ah yes,” Dawn began, turning to fix her eyes on Bethany once again. “With eyes shut tight, the world unseen, to sleep, perchance…”

All concerns faded from Bethany’s mind. “To dream a dream,” she responded, causing Dawn to breathe a sigh of relief.

“Go ahead and grab your things and then invite me into your home, hun.”

“Yes.” Bethany reached down to grab the purse that had fallen from her relaxed arm. “This way, ma’am,” she said as she passed the stranger. Her keys slid into the lock and turned. She pushed the door open with ease, an effort that usually required her shoulder, and led Dawn inside.

Dawn shut the door behind her before taking another sip of her drink. She gave the motionless Bethany a once over before addressing her. “Did you finish all your tasks?”

Bethany was quick to respond with an emotionless, “No.”

Dawn arched a brow. “Tell me what you’ve done so far.” She listened to Bethany list off her instructions, growing more unsettled by the minute. By the time Bethany finished, Dawn was gripping her thermos until her knuckles went white. There was a moment of silence. Dawn’s posture slumped. “Shit…”

* * *

Marissa had always heard horror stories about airport travel. Security, delays, overpriced food, you name it. Maybe she got lucky, but now that she was seated just outside gate M09, with just a few minutes until they began boarding, everything seemed to go by with such a breeze. Better yet, she wasn’t filled with the anxiety she had expected earlier. There was no reason to be concerned, she was sure of it. Everything would be fine.

She dug inside her bag for her ticket, holding it in both hands. It sure felt authentic as she rubbed the stiff, glossy paper between her fingers. A one-way ticket, with Tegel Airport as the destination. She was actually doing this. She was going to Germany!

Marissa shivered in delight. She couldn’t wait to see the look on Bethany’s face when she showed up to surprise her. Finally she’d be able to turn the tables on her friend. And this would be the surprise to top them all. She’d be able to hold this over Bethany for years to come. The thought was too much as another thrill went up Marissa’s spine.

“Harriet, is that you?”

All excitement drained from Marissa’s face, overtaken by a look of horror. That voice. It can’t be. But only one person called her that. Marissa turned to confront her fear head on and instantly regretted it.

“Holy shit, it is! How have you been, Harriet?”

Marissa hated that nickname. A relic from her youth when she let slip that she was attracted to the main character of Harriet The Spy. It stuck with her since, and she would have lashed out at any other person that referred to her as such. This person was different, though. “Um, hi, L-Lara,” Marissa squeaked out.

Lara was all smiles. “What are you doing here?” Then, realization dawned on her face. “No, do NOT tell me you’re going to Germany as well! Oh my god! Hey, quick, let me see your ticket!” She didn’t give Marissa a chance to respond before snatching the ticket out of her hand.

She brought her own out and held them next to each other. “Shut up! We’re going to be seat buddies!” She handed Marissa’s ticket back, oblivious to the lack of equal excitement on the girl’s face. “Wow, what are the chances of that?”

Marissa hadn’t seen Lara in so long, a result of her own intention. Until Lara moved out on her own, Marissa did her best to avoid her. It was always Marissa’s house that Bethany visited, never the other way around. She gave excuse after lame excuse as to why until she didn’t even have to make any. Bethany may have been frustrated at times, but Marissa was sure she wasn’t aware of the true reason. Bethany could never learn of her feelings for Lara. It would destroy their friendship, she knew it. She couldn’t let that happen.

And now here she was, destined to spend the next twelve hours next to this amazing vision of a woman. She was somehow even more beautiful than Marissa remembered. Those smoky eyes that burrowed into Marissa’s soul. Fiery red hair that begged to have Marissa’s fingers run through it. The upscale sense of fashion that never ceased to impress.

Lara was talking, but Marissa was dead to the world. Twelve hours with Lara at her side. They’d share the same arm rest. Their arms could actually be touching.

Marissa could see it now. Lara would get up to go to the bathroom. On her way, she’d stop and wink at Marissa. It would only mean one thing. It happened all the time on airplanes, right? Marissa would open those folding doors, and Lara would pull her in. Their lips would lock before the door did. Lara would sink to her knees before opening Marissa’s. A tender kiss along her thigh, just like her book. It was always Lara in that book.

Stop it, Marissa! She’ll never think of you the same way. Two minutes with her and Marissa was already fantasizing. How did she possibly expect to maintain her composure for an entire trip?

No, this was too much. She couldn’t do this, not with Lara here. She’d never even survive the flight. Her lust would get the better of her, and then Lara would know her feelings. That could not happen.

It wasn’t too late. She could just walk out of the airport and go home. She’d hate herself over the missed opportunity, but it was better than the alternative. Bethany would be proud of her just for making it this far. Bethany would be home soon anyways, and then life would go on as normal.

“...to the club with me?”

Marissa shook her head. Something Lara said derailed her thoughts, and it was a struggle for her to recall what they were. “Huh?” She gave Lara a confused look.

“I asked if you wanted to go to the club with me. Bethany kept mentioning this Club Trabant, said it was next to where she was staying. Thought maybe we could go there and catch up?”

That club… yes, that’s right. It was important that Marissa go there. She had to go there to find Bethany. It was all part of the surprise. How amazing that Lara would come up with the exact same plan as her.

Marissa wondered why she was thinking of going home earlier. She was still nervous about the flight, but as long as she got to the club, everything would be fine.

“Yeah, let’s do that.” Marissa smiled. Her ears perked up as she heard the call for boarding. This was it, the moment she had been waiting for all week.

It wasn’t long before the two were crossing that bridge onto the plane. She had a feeling such wonderful things were waiting on the other side. Goodbye, Chicago! Or, I guess… Auf Wiedersehen!

* * *

“Yes.”

Lara was floating on an ocean. The waves bobbed up and down in time with the same music from before. She opened her eyes to continue looking at the screen. It was what the voice wanted.

“Where is Bethany, Lara?”

The answer was slow to come to her. It was hard to think of it. She’d rather continue looking at the screen and listen to the music, to the voice. She loved listening to the voice. But that voice had asked her a question, and Lara knew she had to answer. “Bethany is… in Germany. She’s… on her vacation.”

“That’s right,” Bethany cooed. She stroked her fingers along Lara’s neck. “And what are you going to do?”

Another question. It was so much easier to just let the voice tell her things. Why couldn’t it keep doing that? Still, a faint smile played at her lips as the answer came to her. “I… I’m going to go to Germany, to… to surprise her. I must go to Club Trabant… I will ask for Alice. Alice will… Alice will know how to find Bethany. Then I can surprise her. She’ll be so happy to see me.”

Lara let out a soft moan. She couldn’t wait to see the look on Bethany’s face when she showed up in Germany. It’ll be the best surprise ever. Lara had been saving her vacation days for… for something. For this trip. That’s right. She was saving her vacation days for this very trip to Berlin. All that mattered right now was surprising her sister.

“That’s very good, Lara. You’re doing so very good. Let’s go through it again. Would you like that?”

Another smile formed before the images and music took it away again. Lara could only nod in response this time.

Bethany continued going through the instructions until there was no delay in Lara’s responses.

* * *

Dawn paced the room, taking in all that Bethany had told her. If only she hadn’t lost the girl at the airport… she could have prevented all of this. She could fix Bethany, but now there were two women to take her place. It could have been worse. She had two more targets that she hadn’t gotten yet. They’re safe because of you.

She brought her thermos to her lips, but it was empty. With a grunt, she placed it on the table, a sharp clang ringing out as the metal hit the hard counter. She turned to Bethany as the younger woman sat on the couch, staring at nothing. “Make me some coffee.” It’s the least you can do for me after saving you from her.

Dawn replaced Bethany on the couch, handing her thermos over when they crossed, as Bethany went to carry out her instructions. She placed her head in her hands, tapping her skull with her index finger as she focused on the floor. What to do now? Quite the quandary, and not one she felt capable of solving.

Her resources were limited, far more so than Alice’s. It would take time to scrounge up the money to get back to Germany. By then, the two that Bethany sent over would be well within her grasp. Worse yet, she’d know something was up the moment two girls showed up instead of four. Alice didn’t suspect anything yet, but that was about to change.

Not that she wasn’t running on borrowed time as is. There were just more ways to excuse why Bethany would have failed entirely than to have only half succeeded. No, Alice’s wrath was inevitable. You can’t poke a sleeping bear and expect not to get mauled. Dawn could only hope it would be a bit longer before it was directed at her.

And then there was the elephant in the room. If things had gone as planned, Bethany would have come home with nothing more than some fond memories of her time abroad. She’d never be aware of the awful things she was forced to do for that woman.

It wasn’t that simple anymore. Dawn couldn’t just reset everything like she wanted. She’d have to account for the sister and friend. Bethany would start asking questions before long. Or if not her, somebody. How did Alice plan to account for this? The lack of information was most frustrating.

She could just count her losses and move on. Leave the two in Germany to their fate. Let Bethany deal with the aftermath. It wasn’t Dawn’s problem, anyway. She tried to help and failed. Things were easier back when I didn’t care.

No, as risky as it was, she couldn’t sit idly by and let Alice continue to get away with it. Not anymore. If Alice didn’t kill her, her conscience sure would.

She pinched the bridge of her nose, her fingers pressing on her closed eyes enough that she saw red. When she heard Bethany approach, she looked up towards her. It took a second for her vision to clear.

“Thanks, hun,” Dawn said, grabbing the thermos from Bethany’s proffered hand and taking a sip. She took a deep breath as she let the coffee warm her. There was only one thing that would allow her to live with herself if it succeeded.

“Listen to me, Bethany. Listen to my voice. I need you to go deeper for me. So deep, as you listen to what I say. I need you to do some things for me, Bethany. You must obey. Listen to my words, and obey.” If she was going to fix this, she won’t be able to do it alone. She didn’t like it, but perhaps there was still some way to save Bethany’s friends, and she’d need Bethany’s help to do it.

She stood up and began whispering into Bethany’s ear. So deep in trance, Bethany could do nothing but stare ahead and absorb her instructions. When asked if she understood, Bethany responded with a soft, “Yes.”

“Very good. Okay, then,” Dawn sighed. “1-2-3… Awake!”

* * *