The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Title: Apophenia (mc / mf / md)

Chapter: II

Description: Phenia doesn’t belong at Lady Sionamuid’s Academy for Young Sorceresses and Sorcerers, and she knows it. But if she can’t find a way to blend in, and fast, then soon everyone else will know it too.

This is a work of fantasy, which involves magic, mind control, and sexual situations. If there’s any legality preventing you from viewing pornography, or you think you would find such a story offensive or inappropriate, please don’t read it.

* * *

Lady Sionamuid’s Academy for Young Sorceresses and Sorcerers was founded 301 years ago. And of course, I’m still upset that I couldn’t have been just one year older—getting to celebrate the school’s three hundredth birthday would’ve been much, much better than having to follow up the act.

Eldeverne Sionamuid, the patroness of the Academy, cherished all things magical. She sought to spread her knowledge and love of sorcery to all young ears. To better prepare those future generations for the things to come. With the undying generosity of the Academy’s benefactors, her dream became a reality, and the school that she first founded has since become the most prestigious, powerful, and posh boarding school in all of Damea.

The only reason I know all this now is because those exact words were emblazoned on a glowing plaque beneath an elaborate, awe-inspiring stained-glass window depicting the Lady herself, smiling, in resplendent robes carrying a rainbow of magical color. It wasn’t just lit with the light of day, but with the light of enchantment on every colored shard of glass: a masterwork of steel, sediment, and sorcery.

At least, that’s what the plaque said about itself, and why wouldn’t I trust such a nice looking plaque? They tend to be most reliable when they’re polished.

The window made me late to my first lesson. I got so caught up staring that I nearly missed the bell as it rang, and I had to sprint to my class on enchantments with Professor Irsine. She noticed me, and smiled at me when I came in, but didn’t stop her lecture just for my coming in late.

That duty was reserved for Professor Rejtjan. The pale-skinned Keld worked himself into a flushing frenzy describing the history of magical warfare, then turned the storm on me when I had the nerve to giggle at the way he pronounced ‘the city of Pushietin.’

Nobody else found it funny when we got assigned fifty pages’ reading about the history of Pushietin.

Some guy shoved me while I was still gathering up my things. “Nice going, shithead.” I closed my fingers around the wand in my hand and thought of seventy different ways to politely tell him that that was a stupid fucking idea. Then, I exhaled, and put my wand into my bag as well.

They might not all know yet, the voice in my head reminded me. Let them think that all you are is inept.

Shouldering it over my robe, I headed for the door and turned left into the hall. Another boy came rushing along, going the other way. Through his spectacles, he made eye contact with me for only a second, before he started walking faster with his head straight down. I bumped into him—totally his fault for going so fast—then he just kind of stared at me? And started stammering incoherently while I walked away.

That was weird. Today’s just an ordinary day, why in the hells would…

Hang on, just an ordinary day? I almost stopped right where I was in the bustling corridor, but I managed to stumble into the next classroom, find a seat, and sit myself down before thinking about it. Today was anything but ordinary. I was late for class. I made a fool of myself in class. I got shoved in class.

… okay, sure, that’d all been happening pretty frequently over the past month. But I hadn’t slept in. Not once. Not until that day. Why did I sleep in?

Because it’s just an ordinary day.

That made sense to me.

And sleeping is as ordinary as walking.

That made sense, too?

So it’s ordinary for you to walk while you sleep.

Yeah, that makes—

“Hang on,” I muttered, aloud. Nobody heard it, but they probably saw my eyes squinting, my brow furrowing, my tongue trying to twist out something that wasn’t a very loud ‘what the fuck?’ Where was all this coming from?

* * *

Well, I know now where it was coming from. Obviously. But I didn’t then. So I chewed on it. I thought about it. And every time I got close, every time I thought about how strange it all was, I just heard myself saying it.

Because it’s just an ordinary day.

Why was I thinking so much about how it was an ordinary day?

Because it’s just an ordinary day.

Why couldn’t I stop thinking about how it was an ordinary day?

Because it’s just an ordinary day.

And why couldn’t I think about my day in terms of anything but ordinariness?

“Because it’s just an ordinary day…” I sighed that one, somewhat intentionally, while I chewed the last of my meal in the dining hall after the day’s classes. I was sitting alone. Obviously. Because it was just an ordinary day, and on ordinary days I sat alone. But I had a revelation right then, over my mashed potatoes and beef soup.

Everything that day was ordinary except for one thing. Boy in the halls, head down, bumping into me, stammering his guts out. That wasn’t ordinary. What was so un-ordinary about that?

My thoughts didn’t have a clever answer on hand. But I knew I had to get one. Which meant I needed to find that guy, whatever his name was. Maybe he had a weird name. Maybe that’s why he was so weird.

Anyway. He wasn’t there for dinner, because the gods liked to make things really fucking difficult for me back in my first year at the Academy. I couldn’t find him anywhere on the grounds in our break-hour before curfew, and he definitely wasn’t going to be found inside the girls’ rooms of the boarding wing. Unless that’s what was weird about him? Or her?

My brain assured me that those questions were ordinary ones to have, which meant they were probably not on the right track. So, shuffling my bare feet into ill-fitting slippers lettered with two crimson A’s, I crept out of my dormitory brandishing only a wand and my fuzzy robe for protection. Not that either would help much: spellcasting in the halls was expressly…

“... forbidden,” I muttered. I was only halfway out of the boarding wing’s doors, and already I was getting the strangest shivering feeling.

I should turn back.

And I very nearly did. But for the first time that day, I was glad that the ordinary side of my mind came up to my smirking lips. “It’s just an ordinary day. And on ordinary days, everything I do is ordinary. So if I’m sneaking out of the dormitories…”

I took a few tiny steps into the hall, and some of the shivering ceased. “... then sneaking out of the dormitories is ordinary, too.”

It felt ordinary. It felt normal. Not many things I’d ever felt had felt that way. There’s a few I could’ve named on the spot: dad’s customary hug-and-kiss goodbye, mom’s matching pat-on-the-head, the way my house smelled, and monthly cramping pains. But at present, I wasn’t in a place to feel any of those. I felt something else. It was like… an inevitability. Like I’d already seen what was happening. Like I’d felt everything, and was now feeling it again. Only colder this time, with chills clawing at my back and bidding me to turn around, be ordinary, and go to sleep.

But I didn’t turn around. I inched forward, then crept, then walked, then strode. I would’ve ran, if the too-big slippers wouldn’t’ve made my face more acquainted with the floor for the second time in as many days. So I hurried, not knowing to where, barely knowing for why, until I saw the open door to one of the balconies, moonlight flooding into the hallway before me. The shivers, once pulling me back, now pulled me forward into the light.

Somebody was already on the balcony. They didn’t see me, thank the gods. But I saw them.

Blue robes, just like mine. Dark hair. The silver glint of spectacles. My eyes bulged open. “Holy shit,” I said aloud. “Carlisle.”

The name just fell out of my lips. I didn’t even know it was there until my ears heard me say it. And once they did, I felt the spell on me fracture. Putting spells on other students was forbidden, but three days ago we’d done it in a lesson on illusions. Another girl did a simple one on me: magic for warmth. I felt like I was sitting in front of a fireplace. Our fireplace, the one from back home. And maybe she knew that, maybe she didn’t, but I think she got so weirded out when I started sitting down with crossed legs, like I always do in front of our fireplace, that she revoked her spell after only a few moments.

I felt that illusion crumble in my hands. Like realizing that your fingers have gone wrinkly after they’ve been in water for an hour, not having noticed it at all until the second you do. The warmth didn’t fade, it was gone. And everything else felt strange: the floor beneath me, the air around me, the distorted voices and laughter from the students around me…

That’s sort of how it felt when I heard the name ‘Carlisle.’ Only, it wasn’t my body feeling that way. It was my mind. It was like somebody opened the ceiling above my secure, sound skull to let in the chaotic rain of reality. I remembered almost everything, in reverse. I remembered the ordinary day, I remembered the intrusive thoughts (intruding, literally, I knew that they were intruding), I remembered waking up, I remembered the wand pointed straight at my face and the face of the man holding it.

The thing I didn’t remember was what the fuck happened after Carlisle shoved the wand at my head. But I was going to find out.

I got as far as five feet away before he noticed me and yelped like a freaked-out fox. His book went tumbling to the ground, not neatly flying away this time, and before he could fumble up his wand I had my own aimed square at his chest. “Hands up,” I barked.

Carlisle was quick to comply. Thinking back now, it was too quick. He had a sweaty, nervous look—even more of one than I’d seen him with before. “S-so y-you know, then,” he said with unease.

I stared at him. “Yes, Carlisle. I think it’s pretty fucking obvious that I know.”

“W-w-well I’d thought that you’d—”

“Stay all forgetful?” I sneered, stepping forward while he stepped back. “Stay all ordinary?” There was a flash of a smirk on his lip. Hindsight tells me now that that wasn’t a good sign. “What’s so funny?” I demanded, then.

My tone got him standing up a little straighter, gulping before he tried his hand at answering. “Well,” he said, slower, “I expected it might happen, but I didn’t think you’d come out of it so quickly…”

“Come out of what?” I growled.

He blinked at me. “Come again?”

“You know what I mean,” I snarled, sending him back three paces.

“N-no, I do not! I swear! You already know everything, there’s nothing else I’ve d-done to you so you can just put the wand down and… wait…”

“Wait,” I deadpanned. “What in the hells am I waiting for besides blasting you off this balcony?”

He either didn’t take my threat seriously, or didn’t hear it. It was probably the latter, judging by his growing look of curiosity. “What’s the last thing you remember?” he asked me, coherently, not a stutter to be heard. Another bad sign.

I shook my head. “That doesn’t matter, I’m asking the questions Carlisle.”

“Ugh, Apophenia, just humor me would you?”

“I’d rather—” I froze. Then spoke slowly, “How do you know my name? I never told you my name.”

“You don’t remember,” he whispered.

“Of course I remember,” I snapped. He looked in awe, not in fear, so I stomped forward and drove the point of the wand against his sternum. He didn’t budge an inch. “What the fuck are you blathering about?”

He chuckled, something smooth coming from somewhere deep in his chest. I shivered, and felt that familiar feeling once again. “Wouldn’t you like to know,” he said snidely.

“Talk, or I’ll—”

“Turn me in? Kill me? Threaten me some more with things you wouldn’t ever do?”

I was so busy blushing and grinding my teeth and coming up with seventy different ways to politely tell him to stop fucking with me that I didn’t notice the fingers on his right hand moving, thumb paired with the middle, until it was already happening.

He snapped his fingers. My eyes snapped shut. I felt my legs give out, I felt arms struggling to hold me up, I heard a deep sigh of relief, and I—

I woke up. I sat up in my bed, rubbing my eyes blearily with two fists, and yawned loud enough to echo in the shared bedroom. The others were out of bed and gone, so I must’ve slept in. But that was great! I grinned ear to ear, falling back and stretching myself out over the whole bed’s length. It made sense that I’d have my best night of sleep in years. Because it was just the best day of school ever.

* * *