The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Better Off

Chapter Four

Disclaimer: Contains fictional material intended for adult audiences.

* * *

Gentle hands guided Katie into the chair. The soft leather felt wonderful as she sank into it. She never knew she owned something so comfortable. If not for the decorum that cluttered her walls, the mounds of clothes strewn about her floor that she could blindly navigate, she would have assumed she had been taken somewhere else.

“Keep your eyes open.”

What a lovely voice, so sensual and soft in her ear. Such a voice could only belong to someone special. Far be it from Katie to deny the voice what it wanted. She never knew when her eyes had shut, but when prompted, they fluttered open with all the effort Katie could muster in that moment.

Good girl,” the voice said, and Katie’s body thrummed with both words. “Stare at the screen, Katie.”

Her eyes focused on what was before her, her mind never processing its existence until now. On the screen, if that’s what the voice told her to believe it was, Katie saw a spiral. The image moved at a snail’s pace, as if in the last moments of winding down before it came to a complete stop.

But the image kept on moving. Slower and slower it appeared to spin, but in the blink of an eye, a brief moment of awareness in which her thoughts were able to process anything, the spiral was back as it was. As if it had never changed pace at all.

Perhaps if she put more focus on it, she could watch the image grind down to a halt. She giggled at how wonderful it made her feel. A line of drool dripped from her mouth. When she went to lick her lips, her tongue both lazy and uncoordinated, she was met with such a delicious, syrupy taste. The last unclaimed remnants of sap that lingered on her flesh.

It was a taste she had never experienced before this day, and now it was all she wanted. She rolled her tongue around in her mouth and along her lips, trying to get to as much of the flavor as possible, her eyes still glued to the spiral before her.

“That’s it, keep staring.”

Her mind registered the burst of flavor before Katie noticed the finger that had slid into her slack mouth to deliver more of that saccharine treat. She licked it clean before the finger pulled away with a satisfying pop.

She felt something press against her sex. If Katie had been of a sounder mind, she would have realized that she was naked, the cold plastic of the object cooling her flushed skin. She would have remembered that she had stripped off all her clothes under the direction and assistance of the voice and hands. But all Katie could recall of that moment was the struggle she endured to do what she was asked of her so that she could get another taste.

Something wrapped around her leg, clamping down and holding the foreign object tight against Katie’s vagina. She wanted to look down to see what it was, but the voice instructed her to keep staring.

She wouldn’t dream of looking away.

More straps encircled her limbs, but she paid them no mind. All her focus was on the spiral. And just as it was about to stop, for however many times Katie swore it was going to, the image on the screen changed. The spiral still spun in the background, now nothing more than a moving border around the face that appeared.

It was a woman’s face, but even with Katie’s limited comprehension, she was certain there was no recognition. All in all a rather unremarkable woman, by Katie’s appraisal. Older than Katie by some years, from what she could tell, but still youthful in appearance. She looked to be the kind of person Katie would never notice on the street. Neither a smile nor frown adorned her face, the woman looking rather impassive, as if judging Katie. It was especially evident in her eyes, which were her only distinguishing feature.

An unusual shade of purple shone through, much to Katie’s confusion. She was certain that such a color was unnatural. The result of contacts, if she were to guess. Though there was a familiarity to that specific hue.

As Katie looked over the mundane features of the person before her, the object that pressed against her came to life. A soft hum filled her ears, drowned out by the moan that escaped from deep within her throat. She trembled at the unexpected sensation. Her attempts to reach up and caress her chest proved fruitless, her arms bound through some unknown manner, since some unknown time.

Katie whined and did her best to push against the vibrator that assaulted her. As the pleasure continued to build, a finger came into her peripheral vision. Katie’s eyes locked on it, coated in the substance the same color as the eyes of the person that had already slipped from her memory.

She reached out for the digit and praised whatever being that allowed her yet another taste. The sensation of the sap in her mouth served to augment the thrill of the vibrator on her pussy, eliciting yet another moan as her thighs tugged against their restraints, her eyes shutting tight.

“Ah ah, keep looking.”

Katie had forgotten about the voice, and she chastised herself for disobeying its previous instruction. When her eyes opened, she was met with the same image of the same woman, the same spiral enveloping her. But her mind was too awash in purple to care much about what her eyes were seeing.

The pleasure kept building, grander than she had ever accomplished on her own. She was so close to a wonderful release, a few more moments, a bit more pressure against the toy.

And as she felt the inevitable orgasm approach, ready to drown in abject bliss, the image of the woman disappeared. Only the spiral remained on the screen before her.

And at that same moment, the vibrator shut off.

Katie felt the orgasm ebb. She mewled, trying to grind against the now-still vibrator with what little movement the restraints afforded her, but it was of no use.

“Pl-plea . . .” Katie said. She needed release, craved it, but the pleasure kept slipping away. Time went on, and Katie could do nothing but lament at what was denied her. Before long, Katie wasn’t even sure if the voice or the finger were even still in the room. They had done nothing to help her and made no response to her frustration.

And then the pleasure faded to nothing, though her mind was still addled from the sap and the ghost of the fulfillment that abandoned her. She wanted to weep. She had done all that was asked of her. It was so cruel to be treated this way in response.

But at her lowest point, the woman appeared once again on the screen. Along with the face came the buzzing of the vibrator, followed by another helping of sap across her tongue.

Katie delighted in it all once more, her body revving back up in response to the renewed sensations. She would do better this time, certain that if she followed the instructions given to her, she would receive the release she craved. And the only instruction she was given, indeed the only thing she could do, was stare at the screen.

It was a pretty face to look at, the mysterious woman’s. Katie wondered who she was. Perhaps she was the owner of that lovely voice, of those generous fingers. How marvelous that would be, if it were true.

And those striking eyes, so captivating. As the pleasure surged through her, Katie wasn’t even sure if she could look away even without the instruction to keep staring. That deep purple that felt as good to look at as it did to taste.

Her pleasure climbed higher still, reaching unimaginable levels. Without release, the vibrations on her pussy were a tortuous, delightful agony.

Yet once again, as Katie prepared herself for the oncoming orgasm, the woman disappeared, and the vibrator went silent.

Katie let out a guttural growl of frustration. She was being punished for something that she could not comprehend. If only the voice would tell her what to do, she would do it. Anything at all! But all it had said, so long ago, was to stare at the screen.

And Katie was staring. Never once did she look away! And still she was denied.

Before long, her pleasure was gone. And as if the screen itself knew, the woman reappeared. Along with her, so did the thrill of the vibrator and the taste of the finger. Katie vowed to study the woman’s beautiful face. It was very pleasing to look at, after all. The kind of woman one could admire for its natural beauty. Staring at it calmed Katie, dissipating the frustrations that would build up whenever it disappeared.

She wished the woman would smile at her. How radiant that smile must be. One that could put anyone at ease, that would inform Katie how good she was at following instructions. Katie wanted to do what she could for a glimpse of that approval.

But just as before, the woman’s stunning face faded away, taking Katie’s pleasure with it. On and on this went, beyond Katie’s ability to count. Only when the hours dragged on, only when Katie knew she couldn’t love one person so much, only when her heart ached to look at that heavenly visage as much as it hurt to be denied, was her body given what it needed.

The orgasm was too much. Her entire body thrashed in her seat, somehow still held by the restraints, a credit to their durability. However, no matter how much she shook, no matter how much she cried, Katie kept her eyes on that magnificent woman, desperate to look at her for as long as she could, until darkness overtook her mind and her eyes fell shut.

* * *

A strange sound filled the room, a rhythmic, wet noise that seemed to come from below. Katie didn’t know what it was, but listening to it made her feel sublime.

The room was dark, too much so to see the details of anything. The screen that she had come to love had been turned off, but it did not upset Katie as much anymore. She could still see that spiral in her mind, still see that angel judging her. But try as she might, even in her imagination, she couldn’t bring the woman to smile. No, she still had to earn that.

“There is purpose in obedience. Respond.”

The voice was close, commanding yet soft. A part of her knew it was always there. Even when her consciousness was but a sliver, Katie took solace knowing that the voice would guide her, to help Katie get in her good graces, if she listened.

The words it spoke were familiar, but Katie wasn’t sure what they meant. She did not know what was expected of her, of the response it requested.

“Obedience is my purpose. Repeat,” the voice said with a hint of annoyance.

“I . . . Wha—?”

Something grabbed at Katie’s wrist, pulling it out from between her legs. The noise that gave her solace disappeared as it did, drawing a whine out of Katie. The pleasure faded, but instead of growing distraught, she had learned to focus on what she could do to appease the voice. She was only denied when she disobeyed, when she disappointed, but knew she would be rewarded if she did what the voice—and more importantly what the woman—wanted.

“Obedience is my purpose. Repeat.”

Now Katie understood. “Obedience is my purpose,” she said with confidence. She did not have to wait long. Soon the hand let go of her wrist, allowing her fingers to slide back in where they belonged, as if pulled by a magnet. The noise returned, and Katie sighed with contentment.

Better yet, the spiral returned to bathe Katie in its soft glow. The woman had not made her appearance then, but her image was still in Katie’s mind. Katie would sink into the spiral nonetheless, assisted by the sap that was delivered to her wanton mouth.

Katie slipped into near unconsciousness once more, her thoughts fading into purple. A lingering sense that the voice was keeping her company remained at the edge of her mind, just beyond comprehension. The words it spoke snuck in, carried by the will of the mysterious woman to take root.

And when the voice was done speaking, Katie’s mind was able to gain a bit more traction as sound and sensation returned to her. The screen was off again, but Katie would wait patiently for its return.

“There is purpose in obedience. Respond.”

Katie must have taken too long to react, as once more her hand was pulled away. She chastised herself for not being smart enough to understand.

“Obedience is my purpose. Repeat.”

Of course, that was it! The two phrases were connected, one a call, the other an answer. If only Katie had figured it out sooner. “Obedience is my purpose.”

The result was the same. The screen came on, the sap delivered, and her fingers returned to fill up her pussy. As her mind slipped away, Katie rehearsed what was expected of her, until her thoughts faded into nothing, replaced by the voice in her ear.

When she was once more conscious, the voice said, “There is purpose in obedience.”

And Katie said the only thing she knew made sense, “Obedience is my purpose.”

Screen, sap, fingers. The trio that sent her into the darkness of her mind. Followed by more words, and then back awake to hear the call, to give her answer. On and on it repeated, until Katie no longer needed the screen, nor the sap, nor the fingers. The call would come, and her mind would shut down before the answer left her lips.

“There is purpose in obedience.”

”Obedience is my purpose.”

* * *

Katie rubbed her cheek as awareness crept back in. Her arm felt sore, and that led her to realize that almost every muscle in her body ached. When the pungent odor reached her nose, one of sweat and sex, she wrinkled her face in disgust. She opened her eyes to find her room aglow in a bright yellow light. The way it hit her dresser told her that it was morning, the sun chasing away the darkness.

Her eyes settled on the blank screen before her. Images of the spiral, of the face, danced in her mind, leaving Katie to forget about her body’s fatigue and the shower she needed. She relaxed into her seat, willing the screen to turn back on with little regard to anything else. The effects were muted compared to the real thing, but that didn’t matter. Katie was content to wait, sure that the screen would flicker to life once more, until the door burst open, chasing those hopes away. When the figure that entered came into focus, Katie was saddened to see it was not the woman she had hoped to find in her doorway.

“About time. Was thinking I was going to have to shake you awake. But given these sessions are longer than mine, I figured a bit more rest wouldn’t hurt.” Before Katie’s addled mind could think of a response, Sherri thrust a plate into her chest. “Eat. We still have more to do.”

A piece of toast entered Katie’s mouth before she even took note of what was on the plate. As it turned out, a few slices of darkened bread was all there was. Given what she knew of her stock of food at the time, it did not surprise her. Still, she needed to eat, and not only because her stomach was requesting it. Each bite felt like she was fulfilling her purpose, and the simple act appeased her.

“How the fuck do you sleep here? I swear concrete is softer than this mattress.”

Katie turned towards Sherri as she stuffed another bit of toast into her mouth. To her right, she found the woman lying atop a haphazard arrangement of blankets on Katie’s bed, her head resting on two large pillows. Sherri rubbed her neck, a grimace on her face. Katie said nothing to her, her attention focused on eating as she was told.

When the plate was empty, licked clean of crumbs, Katie felt the same pull as before. Her task complete, she let it turn her head until she was once more staring at the blank screen, her mind aglow in the invisible spiral.

“I really hope I didn’t look as pathetic as you,” Sherri said with a scoff. But she knew all too well what was going through Katie’s mind right then. “Do you know who she is?”

The woman on the screen. The angel. The love of Katie’s life. Katie knew exactly to whom Sherri was referring. And yet all Katie knew of her was the way her eyes bore into her, commanding Katie’s attention, her affection, her obedience. The way her eyes made Katie feel. Safe, complete, and horny beyond comprehension . . . The kind of person Katie would do anything for. Thinking about her had Katie pressing her naked ass into the chair as she bit her lip. Her ears were alert, hoping that Sherri would give her the answer. An answer she didn’t know, so she shook her head.

“Her name is Nabi.”

Nabi. She repeated the name over and over in her head, as if she would forget it—Nabi, Nabi, Nabi—not that there was any chance of that. A suitable name, because it was her name.

Katie paused. The name was familiar. All too familiar. Then it occurred to her where she heard it before.

Sherri laughed when she saw Katie’s eyes go wide. “Yeah, that’s the look I expected.”

“She’s the one that . . .”

“The one that recruited your sister, yes. How does that make you feel?” Sherri focused on Katie, evaluating every nuance of her reaction. She kept the trigger in mind, in case she needed to use it on her.

Recruited. Not the word Katie would have used a week ago. Kidnapped seemed more fitting at the time. But now that word felt too . . . negative. She couldn’t imagine using such a word when referring to Nabi.

She thought about all the emotions that the name used to dwell up in the recent past, but they all felt muted now. Katie still remembered the anger, but it was drowned out by a new love. So as she thought about what it was like adoring the person she used to hate, all she could say was, “I don’t know.”

The way Sherri kept staring at her made Katie feel uncomfortable. She worried that if she gave the wrong answer, Sherri would report it to Nabi. Then Nabi would be disappointed in her. Katie couldn’t have that. She should have given a better answer.

But then Sherri shrugged and said, “Good enough, I suppose. Rub.”

Katie’s hand drifted between her legs, her fingers sliding into her wet pussy with ease. She was proud that her answer was good enough, and relished the reward that it brought.

“And what do you think about Nabi?”

Katie found the answer more difficult than expected. She almost couldn’t form the words to properly express her thoughts. Her fingers kept pumping, as if they themselves were driving her ability to think, spurred on by everything that crossed her mind regarding Nabi. Every image of her, every word that never seemed to measure up. But if she had to give an answer, it would be, “Nabi is . . . beyond perfection.”

Sherri could only nod her head in agreement. “And would you do anything for her? Anything she asked?”

Her body jerked at the thought of doing what Nabi wanted, anything at all. Her voice cracked as she said, “Of course!”

“That’s good, Katie.”

Katie whimpered.

“Close your eyes.”

With a deep breath, Katie let her eyes slide shut. All these questions, these commands . . . She needed to pass this test, whatever it was. She hoped that if she did, she’d be allowed to show her affection to Nabi herself.

“Nabi wants you to picture your sister. Picture Victoria in your mind.”

Katie smiled, and her sister smiled right back. “Hey, ‘Tori . . .” Victoria’s face was serene. Gone was any trace of distress that Katie had seen over the past few months.

“Your sister is in trouble, Katie. She needs your help.”

Katie furrowed her brow. Victoria was in trouble? That didn’t seem right. She was right there, smiling at her. People didn’t smile when they were in trouble. But . . . Sherri hadn’t lied to her before. She was the one that showed Katie how amazing Nabi was. There had to be something Katie didn’t know about.

“It’s Dr. Navathe. She’s trying to hurt your sister.”

Katie’s hand stopped. There was no way that could be true. Dr. Navathe wouldn’t do something to hurt Victoria. Katie knew that, because . . .

“We have to stop her, Katie. You have to stop her.”

Her eyes clenched as her head spun, dizzy from confusion. She would never dream of disappointing Nabi, and yet . . . “N-no, I . . .”

There was a brief silence in the room, and if Katie had opened her eyes, she would have seen the shocked, worried expression on Sherri’s face. “You have to, Katie. Nabi demands that we do this.”

The words crashed into her, but still were not strong enough to penetrate the mysterious barricade in Katie’s head. “I c-can’t!” She clenched her fist, still slick from her crotch. She could feel the displeasure of Nabi weighing down on her, threatening to sweep her very mind off of the buoy from which it clung.

“There is purpose in obedience,” Sherri said with a growl.

Darkness crept in from all around her. The buoy dissipated, leaving her to float to the water below, and then sink beneath the surface. Down under the water as her body released all tension, and the lights from above faded into nothing. Down until all that was left was the programming ingrained in her mind.

Katie climbed out of the chair, locking her hands behind the small of her back. Four little words entered her mind and out her mouth, leaving nothingness behind. “Obedience is my purpose.”

Sherri paced the room. She didn’t want to deal with difficulty, least of all so close to achieving her goal. But it was fine, a few simple words while Katie was in trance should be all she needed. “Listen to me, Katie. Nabi has a task for you, a very important one. You have to do this for her. She wants Victoria back. You have to bring Victoria back to Nabi. Do you understand? Can you do that for her?”

Sherri gave a furtive glance towards the phone. Her lifeline, should anything go wrong, but also her punishment. She dreaded using it right now. But much to her relief, it seemed she didn’t have to.

“Yes,” Katie said.

Sherri let out a sigh. “Good girl, Katie. Nabi will be so proud of you. Now, remember what you must do, and wake up.”

With a sharp inhale, Katie’s eyes fluttered open.

“Well?” Sherri said, drawing Katie’s attention before everything came into focus. “Do you know what you must do?”

Katie looked up at Sherri, cold, worried eyes staring back at her. “I must . . . I . . .” The eyes narrowed.

“She’s trying to take her away from Nabi. You know what it’s like to be hers, right? Wouldn’t you want your sister to feel that same way again? To be happy serving Nabi?”

Katie trembled, dispelling any hope Sherri had of being able to finish her task. She wanted to slap Katie with all her might, anything to not have to make that call. She grabbed Katie’s shoulder hard, her voice desperate as she said, “Why?! Why won’t you do this?!”

An unusual sense of calm filled Katie, drowning out any other voice that was screaming at her like Sherri. She turned to her, looked her right in the eyes and said, “I trust Dr. Navathe.”

Sherri shook her head, unwilling to believe what she was hearing. She knew what she needed to do, the last thing she wanted. She failed her mission, was unprepared to handle the task given to her. All that mattered now was reporting her failure to Nabi. Nabi would know what to do. She would fix this.

And then she would punish Sherri.

The phone was in her hand before she realized it. Her finger hovered over the button, images running through her mind of what Nabi would do to her later. None of them held a candle to the one outcome Sherri feared most.

What if Nabi abandoned her?

Sherri had no idea what she would do were that to happen. She couldn’t imagine trying to live out the rest of her life without Nabi’s presence. Couldn’t live with herself knowing that it was because she failed her.

It was as if some fence was holding Katie back, preventing her from doing what Nabi required of her. The barrier ran deep, enough that even the few days of brainwashing was unable to topple it.

Sherri paused. With careful focus, she made sure to click the disconnect button. If she couldn’t break through the barrier head on, then perhaps there would be a way to go around it. With the consequences of failure on her mind, it was certainly worth a shot.

Both hands on Katie’s shoulders, Sherri positioned herself to talk to Katie head on. “Listen to me, Katie. This Dr. Navathe, you trust her, yes?”

Katie nodded. “I trust her. Entirely. Implicitly.”

There was a familiar look in Katie’s eyes, but Sherri was too focused to notice. “Right, and why do you trust her, Katie?”

“Because she is trying to help my sister. Because she only has the best intentions when it comes to her.” She hoped these truths wouldn’t disappoint Sherri. They seemed to earlier, but now Sherri was smiling back at her.

“That is surely a good reason to trust someone, Katie.” She stroked her hand across Katie’s cheek. “But aren’t you forgetting something?”

“I . . . huh?” Katie tried to understand what Sherri was referring to, but was unable to figure it out.

“How long has she been trying to help your sister, Katie?”

Katie remembered that very first session where she was allowed to see Victoria, or at least the person Victoria had become. So much time had passed since then, and things seemed to be improving. All thanks to the good doctor. “A couple months.”

“That’s right, Katie. But . . . Doesn’t that seem a bit long?”

Katie shook her head. “Dr. Navathe said it would take time. I trust her.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Sherri said, her facade almost cracking from her frustration. “Are you sure that’s normal though? Should it really take that long?” Before Katie could respond, Sherri put a finger over her lips. She didn’t need to hear Katie mention anything about trust again. “What if she doesn’t have all the information? What if there’s something she doesn’t understand?”

Sherri placed a hand over her own chest. “Look at us. In just a matter of days, we’ve been changed into servants of Nabi. And you love that, don’t you?”

Of course Katie did. The thought of it had her knees quivering. She loved Nabi with all her heart. Loved seeing her face on that screen, loved the idea of belonging to her, of giving Nabi everything. Everything, except . . .

But before she could finish that thought, Sherri continued on. “That’s right, we both belong to her, in no time at all. And Dr. Navathe doesn’t know how Nabi does it. Doesn’t know anything about her special process.” Sherri couldn’t help but slide her hand down her pants as her mind drifted to the memory of her own enslavement. “Mmm, she doesn’t know what any of it feels like, does she?”

Katie licked her lips as she watched Sherri pleasure herself. Part of her was aching to join her. Sherri must have seen the need on her face. After a simple nod, Katie was all too eager to indulge in the moment. “I . . . I guess not?”

“That’s right, Katie. She doesn’t. So how does she know that she isn’t hurting your sister unintentionally?”

“I . . .”

Katie’s hand stopped moving, so Sherri reached out to pleasure Katie herself. She slid her fingers into Katie’s folds and used them to pull the whimpering girl closer, until Katie was leaning against her, and Sherri’s hot breath was right on Katie’s ear. “Shh,” Sherri said. “Listen for now. Nabi is so proud of you. She knows it’s hard, she just wants you to understand. It’s okay, Katie. You can trust Dr. Navathe. But that doesn’t mean she’s right. Because she doesn’t know everything. She doesn’t know what it’s like to serve Nabi!”

Katie yelped as Sherri emphasized the name with a hard thrust of her fingers. Her legs gave out, forcing Sherri to guide them both to their knees. Katie’s thoughts were scrambled by Sherri’s aggressive fingers, it was difficult to process what Sherri was telling her. Something about the doctor not understanding, and that was . . . true. Dr. Navathe didn’t know what it was like. Couldn’t know what it was like. Even from the beginning, when Katie would lie awake wondering what Victoria had gone through . . . She never came close to comprehending what it was really like. What she was experiencing now. Such focus, such love, and ecstasy beyond her imagination. And yet . . .

“Imagine how you would feel if someone tried to take you away from her, Katie.” Sherri began to pull her fingers out as she spoke, knuckle by knuckle until removed from Katie’s opening. “Knowing that she wants you, but someone is keeping you from her.”

Katie bemoaned the loss of sensation. She reached down in an attempt to guide Sherri back in, but couldn’t match Sherri’s strength.

“Trying to turn you against her.”

When that didn’t work, Katie moved to use her own hand, but Sherri grabbed her by the wrist. Her grip was tight, and no manner of pleading or struggle allowed Katie to escape.

“You wouldn’t want that. No, no. But that’s what Dr. Navathe is doing to Victoria. Turning her against Nabi. Not because she’s trying to hurt her, only because she doesn’t understand.”

A nightmare. That’s what the idea of being separated from Nabi felt like. And Katie hadn’t even met Nabi yet! To be separated would be to lose all hope and guidance. To lose all purpose in life. Katie couldn’t, in all good conscience, let Victoria suffer that same fate.

“But it’s not too late. We can still help her, Katie. You just have to listen to me. You just have to do what Nabi asks of you. Can you do that, Katie?” She toyed with Katie, a short flick of her finger across Katie’s slit, a small offering of hope.

And Katie took to it like a hungry animal.

“Yes. Yes! Anything for Nabi. I’ll do anything for her to save my sister. Please, tell me what I have to do!” Perhaps in time Dr. Navathe would learn the extent of what she was doing, how she had been hurting Victoria this whole time without knowing. Katie was confident that once she understood, once Dr. Navathe knew what it was like to serve Nabi, she would change her mind about Victoria. Katie trusted the doctor to make the right choice then.

“Good girl, Katie,” Sherri said as she gave Katie exactly what she wanted.

* * *

Victoria looked at the clock, five minutes past the hour. “Is Katie not coming today, Dr. Navathe?” She was always on time, never a minute late. Not for any of the visitations Victoria could remember.

“Do you want her here, Victoria?”

It was a strange question. The concept of wanting something seemed alien to her until recently. She thought hard about it. Katie was always so kind to her, and seeing her smile made Victoria happy. She realized that she felt some semblance of peace on the days Katie came to visit. It would only make sense that she would feel happier with her here today.

Victoria nodded her head.

“That’s a good sign, Victoria. I’m proud of you.” Dr. Navathe made some scribbles in her notes. “I received a text from her this morning. Would you like to know what it said?”

Another nod, faster this time, more assured.

“Katie said she is going to take a week off to relax. She said she’s feeling a bit stressed with everything that’s going on. But, she wants you to know that she’s very proud of you as well, and that she loves you very much.”

“Oh . . .”

Dr. Navathe leaned forward and grabbed one of Victoria’s hands, holding it between her own. “I know that may not be what you wanted to hear, but I promise you it will be okay. I’ll see about getting permission for your father to fill in on her days. Katie has been through a lot herself, we need to give her a chance to recharge, that’s all.”

Dr. Navathe raised Victoria’s head up by the chin. “But I have an idea. How about we try extra hard this week. Then, when Katie is back, you can show her how much you’ve improved, make her even more proud. Does that sound like something you’d want to do?”

After thinking about it, Victoria came to the conclusion that it was exactly what she’d want. Filled with resolution, she looked Dr. Navathe right in the eyes. “Yes, Dr. Navathe.”

Dr. Navathe smiled, that caring smile that always put Victoria at ease these past few days. “I’m glad to hear that, Victoria. Let’s both try our hardest. Now, where would you like to begin today’s session?”

With so many options, Victoria wasn’t sure where to begin. The fact that she was able to make a choice alone told her that the independence training was progressing rather well, and had less room left for improvement over the others. By that logic, it probably wasn’t something worth pushing towards right now.

Which meant if she really wanted to impress Katie, she should choose the hardest one. If she could overcome that, surely Katie would be as proud as could be. “The t-triggers, please.”

There was some hesitancy on Dr. Navathe’s part, but she tried to not let it show. “Of course. Why don’t you go ahead and lie back on the couch, and listen to my vo—”

“No,” Victoria said, her voice stern, catching Dr. Navathe off guard. “I want to try it without the hypnosis, this time.” The doctor was about to ask if she was sure, but Victoria preempted the question. “I can do this.” I can do this, I can do this. “The obedience one, please.”

“Okay, Victoria. Remember, these are just words. They don’t have power over you if you don’t let them. Remember that. You are stronger than them.”

Victoria flexed her back, placing her hands on her knees to prop her rigid body upon. She took a deep breath and signaled to the doctor that she was ready.

“There is purpose in obedience,” Dr. Navathe said.

The words rolled over Victoria like a tidal wave. Her knees buckled until her legs slammed closed, pleasure pulsing through her groin. She clenched her eyes, trying to fight off the effects as her thoughts slowed down.

“Fight it, Victoria. You can do this. Think of Katie, do it for her.”

Katie’s smiling face filled Victoria’s mind. She could feel her thoughts gain more ground, though her body still trembled as she struggled to not give in. Just words, that’s all they were. Dr. Navathe said they held no power, and Victoria wanted desperately to believe that right now.

But it was impossible to deny that they still had an effect. The sheer pleasure trying to wrest control from her mind was testament to that.

Do it for Katie, because she loves you. Victoria tried to rally herself, but the pleasure was too much. It washed away the image of Katie from her mind, followed by everything else. All that remained was the slave that she was. Her body relaxed as she climbed off the couch to stand up, her back straight and her head staring at nothing ahead. She clasped her wrists behind her back, and when she spoke, her voice was devoid of all emotion. “Obedience is my purpose.”

Dr. Navathe let out a dejected sigh. She chastised herself, knowing she should have tempered Victoria’s expectations instead of letting her jump into the deep end. That there were no side effects other than lost time was the only saving grace. That and . . . “Wake back up for me on the count of three, Victoria. One, two, three.” She snapped her fingers.

Once Victoria realized where she was, and what that meant, she retreated back to the couch, disheartened. “I guess I’m still too weak . . .”

“Now now, Victoria. We talked about this. A positive outlook will hasten your recovery. Is there anything we learned this time, or something good we can take away from this attempt?”

“I . . . I don’t know. I tried really hard, but . . .”

“I can tell. And you know what? You held out for much longer than usual! I’d say that’s definitely something to be happy about, wouldn’t you?”

“I guess . . .” Victoria slumped, hoping for more.

“You did good, Victoria. I promise you. Would you like to try again, perhaps with the reinforcement first?”

Despite the encouragement, Victoria still was disappointed in the results. But the notion that Katie wouldn’t want to see her give up had Victoria deciding on another option. Something she hoped would be a bit more manageable. The one thing that seemed to bother Katie the most.

Dr. Navathe watched as Victoria reached a hand up and turned her head to the other side. With trembling fingers, she latched onto the tie holding her hair in place and stopped.

Her mind was screaming at her to leave her hair up. She was to never let it down. To do so would mean to make herself unworthy, and that thought alone was enough to terrify Victoria.

But Victoria knew that was only a relic of her previous life. Her conditioned self, as Dr. Navathe referred to it. That wasn’t who she was now, and more and more lately, Victoria realized it wasn’t who she wanted to be. Dr. Navathe had helped her realize that. Katie, her sister, had helped her realize that.

And so, in one forceful, determined motion, Victoria ripped the band off, letting it fly across the room and out of sight. Her brown hair was tossed up in the process, coming to land in a messy fashion around her left shoulder.

Victoria shut her eyes as the voice continued to scream at her, her body tensing up as it had before. ‘The deed is done,’ she told the voice, and she was not going to move from this spot. And when she heard the sound of scissors snipping away, she looked up to find that Dr. Navathe had moved from the couch and was now standing where the tie had landed, cutting it to pieces. Knowing there was nothing to be done about it now, the voice quieted. With some deep breaths, Victoria was finally able to relax.

Dr. Navathe approached Victoria and fixed her hair, letting it flow down her back. “How are you feeling?”

Victoria beamed at her, filled with such exuberance at her accomplishment, and encouraged by the smile she was given in return.

“That’s an amazing step you took, Victoria. Perhaps the most progress you’ve made yet. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, we can always stop for the day. Otherwise, I’d like to take you down and help reinforce everything.”

Riding on the high of that accomplishment, there was no way Victoria wanted to give up now. “Let’s keep going.”

“Very well, Victoria. Now, go ahead and lie back, and listen to the sound of my voice.”

* * *