The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Desire Lines

Chapter 2: Time Lines

“Hey, wake up, Sam. You’re gonna be late for work.” Alex jostled my arm and kissed my cheek at the same time. It was her way of annoying me awake while making up for it at the same time.

“Mnh,” I mumbled. “I don’t have to be in for another...” I checked the clock. “Fuck, only an hour, isn’t it?”

“Yep,” she said. “If it makes you feel any better, I got a text from Yazzy asking me to come in early, so I’ll be right there with you, hating my job at fuck-it’s-too-early-o’—clock.” Yasmine was her boss, but in an attempt to seem like she was on equal footing with everyone else, she insisted her employees call her Yazzy. It didn’t help. Yazzy was nice, and you might even say she and Alex were almost friends, but no one believed for a second that she was an equal in terms of corporate favoritism. Every mistake her employees made was on them, and half the mistakes she made were still on them anyway. Still, as a person outside the office, she was great.

I glanced down at Alex’s naked body and enjoyed the sight. “I don’t know if she’d be okay with you getting into the office without clothes,” I joked.

“Ugh, I know! If it was up to me, we’d live in a nudist colony somewhere, but noooo, you have to be all insecure about it.” We both laughed. “You know, that’s so ironic, because before I met you, clothes never bothered me. Not that I hate them so much now, but ever since we met way back in high school, I’ve just always been so much more comfortable au natural.”

“Guess I just have that effect on you,” I said, getting a little uncomfortable about how close we were to breaching a subject I didn’t want Alex to know about.

She scoffed. “Hey, I love you, but don’t push it. Anyway...” She stepped out of bed and stretched, her breasts pushed out as she bent back and extended her arms above her. “Yazzy’s not as fond of the nudism as I am, so yeah, I’d better get ready and dressed. And you should, too, unless you want to get demoted.”

She headed into the bathroom, but I stayed in bed. “I will, in a sec.” It always takes me a little while to fully wake up, and with my job’s office only ten minutes away, I had time to watch some TV first and jostle my brain into action. As soon as I pressed the Power button on the remote, my entire body froze in shock.

The TV was showing the morning news, and the mugshot on display was scarily familiar. “—and when police arrived at the scene, they found the body of Gary Dewer, stabbed twenty-seven times by his girlfriend, Jessie Holt. Holt admitted to killing her boyfriend because, quote, ‘He had to choose between us, and he chose wrong.’ Holt’s trial begins in two weeks, but she’s under mandatory psychiatric watch until then. It’s thought that—”

“Holy shit!” I said, much more loudly than I expected to. Jessie—the same Jessie I was in a dysfunctional relationship with in another life—was now a murderer. If I hadn’t found the Desire Line when I did, that could have been me...

“What is it?” Alex asked, mouth full of toothpaste, from the bathroom.

“Uh, nothing, just...the news...”

She came out to see, still brushing her teeth. “That’s kind of scary. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t do that to you,” she smiled.

“Yeah...”

“Are you okay, babe? It’s not like you know her, right?”

“Uh, no, no, it’s just...”

“Holy shit!” she yelled unexpectedly. “That’s Gary Dewer! He was in our class in high school!”

“Wait, what?” I stared at the TV again until they showed his photo, and sure enough, I remembered him. He hadn’t been the most popular kid in school, but he wasn’t the bottom of the barrel, either. He was one of those kids who was so mediocre at everything that he was practically invisible. He’d never done anything to hurt anyone...and now he was dead.

“Oh, God,” Alex said. “I get why you’re in shock now...”

“I can’t believe...” I trailed off. I’d almost said “I can’t believe I killed him,” but that wouldn’t have made sense to her.

“Me, either,” she echoed. Then she sighed. “But it’s not like we could change it, right? We haven’t even seen him in like 5 years, and who knows who that crazy bitch is. Sometimes the world just sucks.”

But I could change it, I thought. I did change it. This is my fault...she should have been with me, not him...

“Anyway,” she said, slipping into her business skirt, “Don’t let it get to you. Come on, get ready for work so I can kiss you goodbye.”

All day at work, as I sat in front of my computer, an office drone, all I could think about was Gary and Jessie. In my mind, just yesterday I was the one being abused by Jessie. But I was selfish and wanted more, and stumbling upon the Desire Line gave me the chance to have it. I had Alex, just as I’d always wanted, but in return, the universe took a life. Is that how it always worked? Would someone always die to give someone else their wish? Or was it more vague, just something generally bad would be payment enough, and I happened to get the shit end of the stick? Or was I personifying the Line too much, and it had no process, and this was all just an extremely unfortunate coincidence? I had to know. But I couldn’t use the Line again; I didn’t want to lose Alex, and any other desires of mine since birth were inconsequential. I needed someone else to use it, to prove to myself that no one had to die. So of course, I called my sister.

“Hey, Emily.”

“Oh, hey, Sam!” came the cheery voice from the other side of the phone. “Aren’t you at work?”

“I’m on my break. I just wanted to ask you about something.”

“Shoot.”

“Do you know that neighborhood off Sixth Street, the one by those really dense woods?” I may once have been table to tell her “Jessie’s place”, but now she would have no idea who that was.

“Yeah...” She sounded like she was already wondering where I was going with this.

“Can you do me a favor, when you get a chance, and take a trip to those woods for a minute? There’s a little path I want you to see...” I hadn’t planned out what I was going to say, clearly.

“A path? Um, yeah, no, I don’t think so. What are you even talking about?”

I had to think quickly if I was going to convince her. “I dropped my wallet there yesterday. I need you to go get it for me and bring it to me at work, sometime before I leave today. I don’t want to drive without my license on me.”

“You dropped your wallet... in the woods? Why were you even in some random-ass woods?” She was skeptical, and I couldn’t blame her since I was lying through my teeth.

“I took a walk, just to clear my head.” Well, that was true, actually.

“Clear your head? Is everything alright with you and Alex?” Her tone shifted from skeptical younger sister, the butt of many pranks when we were kids, to protective sibling who wanted to make sure her brother was doing well. I loved that about her, that she could be both; it kept her from being overprotective, but it also meant that she loved me.If she had been much younger than me, we probably would never have hung out, but being only a year younger made us closer and less likely to shun each other.

“Yeah, everything’s fine. Just some personal thing, nothing to do with her, and it’s all worked out now. But I really need my wallet, Em.”

She sighed. “Okay, fine. When I pick up the kids from preschool, I’ll stop there on my way back. Where did you leave it?”

“I don’t know, it fell out of my pocket. But it’s somewhere near the Desire Line, so if you just follow that—”

“Desire line? What the hell is a desire line?”

“Em, you really need to read more books. It’s those little trails of stamped grass from where people keep walking over it even without a real path.”

“Alright. I’ll look for it, but I won’t spend more than ten minutes. If I can’t find it, you’re on your own.”

“Thank you!”

“Love you,” she said. I returned the love and she hung up, then so did I. With any luck, she’d find the Desire Line and start walking. She’d see her life’s desires swirling around her, like I did, and she’d make one real, intentionally or not. And then I’d wait and see. If no one died, that was proof that I was not, in fact, a killer, and Gary’s death was all Jessie’s fault. If someone died... well, then, I was truly a murderer and the guilt would eat me alive. Time... I just had to give it time.

As 3:00 rolled past, one of my co-workers walked up to my cubicle. “Hey, Sam, your sister’s up front to see you. Make it quick, though; you don’t want to get reprimanded for stealing time, like Brian.”

“Fucking Brian,” I said, finishing our inside joke as we both laughed. There was no Brian, there never had been, yet still, we both knew that Brian was a total screw-up who could do no right. I made my way to the front lobby, and there she was: Emily, the sexiest sister anyone could ever have. She was just wearing jeans and a T-Shirt, almost a mom outfit, but her clothes never mattered to me. I just always saw her as the second sexiest woman on the planet, ever since we were kids. I never even teased her back then, because I was too in love with her.

“Hey, Sam,” she smiled at me.

“Hey! Did you... did you find my wallet?” I knew she didn’t, but she came to work for a reason, so maybe she wanted to tell me about the Desire Line?

“Nope, couldn’t find it. I just came to get a quick kiss from you.” She smirked.

“Okay, hose yourself off, Em,” I laughed. “Alex is okay with the whole situation here, but no one else would be. You’ll get your kiss when I get home.”

“I know. I just like teasing you,” she replied.

“Before I get back to work... did you... see anything in the woods?”

“I told you I couldn’t find your wallet.”

“No, but I mean... anything else? Anything... weird?”

For a quick second, I thought maybe Emily seemed worried. Did she bite her lip in concern, or was she just trying to be sultry? I couldn’t tell. “Weird? Like... um, no, like what?”

“I dunno.” I was toeing the line between sounding crazy and not getting any information. “Like... stuff swirling, or floating, or... I dunno, anything like that?”

Her eyes widened. “No, I, uh... no. Nothing like that. Why? Were you high in those woods or something?” She chuckled at her own joke, but I got the sense it was a cover.

“Me? Never.” I grinned. “Anyway, I’ve got to get back to work now, for real. Thanks for looking. I’ll see you later, Em.”

“Love you, sexy,” she winked, now clearly confident again.

I rolled my eyes. “If someone heard that...”

“No one did.” Another wink.

“Love you, too, Em.” I kissed her cheek, then went back to my cubicle. I was sure now that she had used the Desire Line. But what had changed? Everything seemed the same as always. I remembered my life with Jessie, and I remembered my new life with Alex. So I should remember another change if Emily had made one, right? But I couldn’t. Being in love with her as a kid, letting that love blossom as we got older, letting her and Alex share me (God, that was an awkward conversation to have, but Alex was so great about it!). It was all the same. I mentally shrugged. Maybe she’d gotten to the end of the Desire Line and not stepped off to lock anything new in? Was that even possible?

At the end of the work day, I headed home. It kind of sucked living 45 minutes away from the office, but that was the price to pay if Alex and I wanted to live with Emily. And I definitely did; I think Alex only agreed to it to make me happy. She and Em get along wonderfully, though, so she really can’t complain either way. I had the long drive to keep wracking my brain about what Emily could have changed in the world.

I got home and the first thing I heard when I opened the door was complaining. “Alex, please, just put a thong on or something. Why do I need to see your pussy all the time?”

“You don’t complain in the bedroom,” Alex countered. She had a point.

“But we’re not in the bedroom now, are we?” Em also had a point.

“Ladies, not this again.” Emily was not a fan of the home nudist lifestyle nearly as much as Alex was, and that was seemingly the only point of contention between the two.

“Hey, honey,” they both greeted me. I removed my tie and put it on the little coat hanger by the door, then headed into the living room to give them each a greeting kiss.

“You know how I feel about Alex being naked all the time,” Emily told me.

“And you both know how I feel about Alex being naked all the time,” Alex quipped.

I held up both hands. “Work it out, guys. I’m going to get into something more comfortable.” I headed upstairs to the bedroom, and I could almost feel Emily’s eyes rolling behind me. By the time I returned downstairs, in a T-shirt and sweatpants, they had stopped arguing. For now; I was sure they’d be back at it again soon.

“So, who’s ordering the pizza tonight?” I asked, sitting between them with one arm around each, my right hand casually and gently cupping Alex’s breast.

“How about we have a homemade meal for once?” Em answered.

“Hey, I cook sometimes!” Alex retorted in mock offense.

“The kitchen’s all yours tonight, then,” Em said, gesturing toward that room like a game show model presenting a prize.

Alex raised an eyebrow in her usual “Challenge Accepted” expression, stood, and headed toward the kitchen. “In that case,” she said, not looking back, “dinner tonight is going to be bomb-tastic, like me. You’re both welcome to help anytime.”

As she walked into the next room, I couldn’t help but stare. “Mm, dat ass,” I said, half-joking.

“I’m right here, you know,” Emily derided.

“You know you don’t have to be jealous of Alex. Or anyone else. You were my first love, my first kiss, my first fuck... I love you both the same.”

“And yet you ogle her more.”

I chuckled in a bit of disbelief. “Well, yeah, because she walks around naked enough for me to have more to ogle! You’re not actually jealous after all these years, are you?” She didn’t answer. She just crossed her arms and pouted a bit, turning her head away from me, almost like an upset child.

“Come on,” I said, pulling her closer. “You know how much I love your body.” I nibbled her earlobe sensually. She pulled her head away, but she also scooted her body further into mine, letting me know she was just being difficult and didn’t want me to stop.

I tilted my head down from her ear to her neck and began kissing it, sucking gently but enough to leave a hickey as if we were still teenagers. She tilted her own head to expose more of her neck to me as she sighed softly, loosening her body’s tension a little. As I kept kissing, I moved my hand from around her shoulders down the neck of her shirt, enough to cup her braless breast. She uncrossed her arms to give me better access, and her sighs turned into very quiet, very soft moans. I stopped kissing just long enough to lift her shirt over her head, which was easy enough as she raised her arms to help, and then I resumed my kisses, on her shoulder now.

I kept massaging her tit with my right hand, kissing her chest now, as my left hand found its way down past the waistband of her jeans. Just as my fingers began to curl into their destination, Alex walked into the living room. “Hey, do you guys want—well, okay, then.”

I smiled up at her between kisses and managed to ask, “Want what?” as I slowly caressed Emily’s vulva with one finger. Her moans grew louder, and I started mixing in some small licks with my kisses on her chest, moving extremely slowly closer to her nipples.

“You guys couldn’t even wait until after dinner? Or at least ask me first?”

“We don’t need your permission, Mom,” Emily jabbed, her eyes still closed in pleasure.

“Yeah, but it would have been nice to be considered, asshole child,” Alex said, more aggressively than I expected. That killed the mood for me pretty quickly; I’ve never liked drama, which is why I never understood what I’d seen in Jessie.

Thinking of Jessie made me think of Gary, and suddenly my hands were off my sister. “Do you two have to fight? You know how much I hate it.”

“Uggghhhh,” Emily moaned, opening her eyes. “Did you have to stop?”

“Sorry, Em, I’m just not feeling it anymore.”

“Hey, don’t let me spoil your fun. I’ll just go back to makin’ you a sammich like a good housewife,” Alex said, dripping with sarcasm so thick you could walk on it without sinking.

“Enough!” I was getting annoyed now. “I don’t know what’s going on between you two, but work it out. I love you both, but if you can’t get along, you’re going to drive me crazy. And goddammit, I sound like a dad now.” I rubbed my temples as I felt a headache coming on. I stood and headed back upstairs to the bedroom, and as I did, I heard Emily say, “Nice going, Alex,” without a response.

I stayed in the bedroom the rest of the night, trying to get some quiet time to think. Whatever my loves were fighting about, it was their issue, and it couldn’t be as important as the test I was technically still performing. Other than the sudden drama in our family, nothing else seemed to change. But if Emily had actually gone to the Desire Line, how could she resist? True, it’s not like I knew how to use it when I had accidentally stepped off the line, but how could she follow the path with her desires floating around her? She must have used it. Something must be different. But was anything worse?

I forced myself to focus on this question for hours, until finally Alex and Emily came to bed. They apologized, which didn’t mean much to me since it was clear they were only apologizing for the pain they caused me, but not for the issues they had between them. Still, we drifted off to sleep cuddled up together like always.

I awoke to the sound of Emily sobbing. I instinctively turned over to put my arm around her, but found her side of the bed empty. My bleary eyes barely made out the numbers on the clock telling me it was 3AM. The more I heard Emily cry, the more awake I was. I shifted my weight carefully so as not to wake Alex, who was still sleeping soundly, and got out of bed.

I found Emily sitting in the hallway, on the floor, her back against the wall, weeping in the way you do when you’re trying not to cry so you don’t disturb others, but you just can’t help it. I sat down next to her and tried to put my arm around her, but she pushed it away. “Hey, Em,” I said quietly. “What’s wrong?”

“It wasn’t supposed to be like this,” she said through her tears.

“What?” I asked, as articulate as I could be at 3AM.

“I just... I miss them so much...” She sniffled.

“Miss... who?” I hadn’t yet decided whether my brain wasn’t running at full, conscious efficiency yet, or if she actually wasn’t making any sense.

“My kids!” she shouted in a whisper.

I was flabbergasted. What the hell was she talking about? “Em, did you have a really realistic nightmare or something? You don’t have kids.”

“Not anymore...” She sniffled again.

“’Not anymo—’,” I started, but then finally I woke up enough for things to click. “The Desire Line!” So she had used it after all.

“Yeah... wait, how did you—? Did you send me there knowing it would ruin my life?” Even though the darkness, I could feel her eyes widen in anger.

“No!” I answered, both defensively and truthfully. “I thought it would do something, but not ruin your life. I’ve only used it once before, I didn’t really know—”

“You’ve used it before?!” she said in shock, her voice raising enough that I heard Alex moan from the bedroom before she regained control. “So you changed me? Without telling me?”

“No! Not you... just... Alex. And Jessie. Who you don’t know now... but we’re talking about you. You had kids? Why would you want to get rid of them?” The Desire Line showed desires, right? So if her kids were gone... then again, I didn’t want Gary killed, either.

“I didn’t!” She seemed offended that I even suggested it, which I suppose is fair enough. “I just wanted you to love me...”

“I do, Em. I always have!”

“No, you didn’t. Not like this. Not before...”

Finally, everything clicked. I should have figured it out sooner. Of course our relationship was her desire. Of course a brother and sister wouldn’t just start a romance on their own. Who does that? We did... but maybe we didn’t. Or wouldn’t have, if it wasn’t for the Line. And now, she’d lost her kids as a result... maybe this proved what I was afraid of: maybe there did need to be a tragic loss to make up for every desire the Line granted.

“Em... I’m so sorry. I never thought anything like this would happen. I just wanted to know... never mind.”

“No, not ‘never mind,’” she said, still angry with me. “You wanted to know what? What could be so important that you would literally sacrifice children for it?”

“I didn’t know you even had children until just now! Or... did I? In the other world... the other timeline... whatever it was... did I know you had kids?”

“Of course you did! They were your niece and nephew!”

“...two? Oh, God, what did I do by sending you there?” I was the reason two innocent children were literally willed out of existence. What kind of monster did that make me?

“I guess it was my fault, too...” she whispered, calming down. “I mean, you just sent me to make my dreams come true. It’s my fault that my dreams included you, but not them... Am I a terrible mother?”

“No, no, hey,” I said, putting my arm around her without resistance this time. “I’m sure you were an amazing mother. The Line... I’m starting to get the feeling it forces loss on us...”

“You make it sound like you lost someone, too.” She didn’t ask it like a question, but clearly she was expecting an answer.

“Yeah, kind of. No one I was close with, but...”

That’s when we heard Alex yawn and stretch, and the bed creak as she got out and came into the hallway. “You guys know it’s like 3:00, right?” she asked sleepily. “I’m sorry for last night, Em, I really am, but I need my sleep and you two aren’t as quiet as you think you are. Seriously, it’s like you were born into a family of stage whisperers.”

“Yeah... sorry, Alex,” Emily said. “Go back to sleep, we’ll be there in a bit.”

Alex mumbled something, then headed back into bed. Emily sighed. “I wish I could have it all... keep my kids and have both of you, too...”

“So your desire was me and Alex?” I just had to clarify a question like that.

Emily laughed. “No, not at all. My desire was you. But I wanted you to be happy, so I wasn’t about to take you away from Alex. I know how much you love her, so you two are a package deal. Ironic, isn’t it?”

“What is?”

“I was able to keep Alex around to make you happy, but I couldn’t manage to keep my kids around...”

It was my turn to sigh. “Look, we’ll fix this. Tomorrow, we’ll figure something out.”

“What, you’re going to invent a time machine now? Go back and stop ourselves from doing this?”

“Emily, we’re talking about a magical path in the woods that makes your dreams real. Anything is possible at this point.” We both laughed. “Now come on, let’s get some sleep and we’ll deal with this in the morning.”

Emily smiled, I helped her up, and we made our way back into bed. Alex pulled my arm around her, making me the middle spoon, and Emily curled up behind me. The three of us fell asleep like we always did: together and happy. We’d deal with the bigger issues tomorrow; tonight, we could finally relax.