The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Hand (Part 9)

This work may not be reposted or redistributed without the prior express written permission of the author.

A work of fiction, meant for adults. Read something else if you are not an adult, or are offended by stories with sexual content. Then again, if all you’re looking for is in-out, in-out, in-out, you should probably read something else. I welcome constructive comments. Enjoy.

The alarm clock went off and Barbara whacked it. I started to move but she grabbed me, pulling me back to her. I didn’t even bother to open my eyes. Our bodies knew what to do.

We managed to get cleaned up and packed by eight twenty. For the first time in a while, I was wearing shoes and socks. The only time I wore shoes at home was when I was at the University, and even there I tend to slip off my shoes. At the dojo, I was barefoot, or wearing sandals. Around the island, it had been sandals or bare feet.

“What’s our plan for the day?” I asked as I checked our suitcases one more time.

She stepped closer. We hugged.

“I hope you don’t mind. We’re staying the night in Miami. Dinner tonight is with the U.S. heads of the organization—another interview for you, if you don’t mind.”

“And after that?” I asked, kissing her neck again.

“We’ll have to decide that later.”

I held her close. “Thank you Barbara—thank you so much.”

“Oh Roger,” she sighed as she held me. “You are a treasure.”

I held her, suppressing a chuckle. What did that mean? Something small and bright with little pointy bits, to be displayed in a case along with other treasures?

We carried our luggage downstairs. David, our pilot, was sitting talking to Paul. Once Paul saw us, he got up to take our suitcases.

“That’s all right,” I said as I sat the two heavy ones down. Paul took the two small ones from Barbara.

“What’s the breakfast recommendation?” I asked our hosts.

The way they looked at David answered my question. “Anything color-coordinated with our attire, I’d guess...” I suggested.

David smiled. “It shouldn’t be that bad, but it was a bit choppy getting here. Does that bother you?”

I looked to Barbara. She was frowning. “It doesn’t bother me much,” I told him.

Jeshan appeared and offered Barbara a tablet of something. Barbara quickly swallowed it with some water. Jeshan offered one to me. What the hell—I took it.

She started to walk away. I touched her shoulder, and she turned. I held my arms open, an invitation. “Jeshan, thank you so much for everything. You have helped me enormously.”

She smiled and hugged me.

Gail had a padded envelope for me. “Here’s a set of DVDs—the raw footage, and what we managed to edit together. One of the disks also has a set of questions to help me do the next round.”

I accepted them with a hug. “Thank you very much.”

Paul and Gail made sure we knew we were welcome to return. I told Paul I’d be interested in riding out a storm with them some time.

The clouds were definitely closer as we made the walk out to the seaplane. More hugs and we got aboard. I waved as we took off. David made one pass around the island before we headed out.

The flight was smooth. I figured out how to raise the armrest between us so I could hold Barbara closer. We were met at the airport and walked through to our connecting flight to Miami.

Arrival in Miami was uneventful. As we stood waiting for our checked bags, we saw a group of Customs officers with their trained beagles perusing bags coming off an Air Jamaica flight. Two of the dogs zeroed in on one particular bag as it came down the carousel, jumping for joy. Ah well... We got our bags, breezed through, and met the car waiting to take us to the hotel.

I stood munching on an apple from the complimentary fruit basket and looking out the window of our hotel suite as Barbara settled us in. She was happy I’d agreed to meet people, reminding me that if nothing else, we’d have a very good meal.

I shook my head, but smiled—what was I getting myself into this time? She promised it would be different; they were interested in my brains. I was interested in eating, having not had much so far today. Oh well, I’d eaten pretty damn well the last week or so.

A knock on the door; “Housekeeping,” said a female voice.

“I’ll get it,” Barbara said. She was close to the door.

I turned a few moments later, responding to a sound.

I was about twelve feet from the door. Barbara’s arms were flailing as she stumbled backwards, crumpling to the floor. A woman crouched inside the partially-closed door, one hand holding a mask to her face, the other holding a sprayer of some kind, still pointed at Barbara.

I threw my apple as hard as I could, hitting the woman in the head. I covered the distance between us in two or three steps, stepping over Barbara as she collapsed to the floor. I landed on my left foot, kicking the woman with my right. I weigh around a hundred and seventy, maybe more after the way I’d been eating recently. She probably weighed about a hundred ten. I put my foot into her ribs, slamming her violently back against the door.

The security latch had been turned into the doorway—the door didn’t close all the way. I heard commotion from the hallway and jumped to the door, planting my foot on the floor as I grabbed the sprayer out of the woman’s hand.

Someone in the hallway tried to force the door open, managing to open it a few inches. I was glad I’d left my shoes on—my shoe and foot were now wedged under the door.

A hand with a gun extended in the door opening. I grabbed the sleeve and pulled the arm, hard.

“Open the door!” was the cry from outside. I still had the little sprayer in my hand—why not? I stuck it into the door opening, aiming where I expected a head to be, and gave a healthy spray. I heard a disgusted cry, and the arm I was holding went limp. I grabbed the gun, used the barrel to flip the door latch around, and let go of the arm. As it fell clear of the doorway I slammed the door and set all the latches.

Our female visitor moved. I slid the gun in the back of my pants and grabbed her hair, pulling her head back. I jammed the nozzle of the sprayer up her nose and gave it a squeeze. Her eyes opened wide for a moment, then wobbled around and closed. I moved her closer to the door.

I grabbed Barbara and pulled her out of the way, off by the far side of the bed where she’d be out of the line of fire. Her pulse was strong and regular.

“Hawthorne! We’re here to help!” came a shout from outside the door.

“Fuck off!” I replied with vigor, bringing out the gun and aiming for the door.

“Doctor Hawthorne, Mr. Hammond sent us—you’re in danger.”

I stepped closer to the door and shook down our female visitor. Hotel maid’s uniform, but I don’t think hotel maids carry loaded syringes in their pockets.

“Finally something we agree on!” I told them. “Your female companion is right inside the door in case you try anything funny. Assuming you are with Hammond, I’ll show you the courtesy of blowing your kneecaps off first.”

“Doctor Hawthorne, we’re to transport you to a medical facility—you are in great danger, sir.”

“So are you, bright boy. How long does this spray last?”

Silence. “I asked you a question, vermin!” I called out.

“Uh, about half an hour, I think. Doctor Hawthorne, we need to get you to a medical facility, sir.”

“What was the pass phrase on my first job, fool?”

“Uh, I don’t know.”

“Find out, vermin—and a medical facility won’t help the first one through that door.”

Conversation out in the hall—must have been three of them out there. I picked up my cell phone and dialed my tech-support number. “This is Hawthorne, number 151. Get Hammond, now!”

“Doctor Hawthorne, are you all right, sir?” another voice called from the hallway.

“Couldn’t be better,” I replied. “Ya know, I bet I could put one of these 40 caliber slugs into your left eye and not hit the eyelashes. It would be a little easier with a 9 millimeter, but 40’s have a lot more stopping power. What do you think?”

“Hawthorne? I’m sending a crew to pick you up. You’re in danger,” Hammond’s voice came on the line.

“They might be here already. I disabled two of them, and two more are outside the door. I do not like getting jumped.”

Hammond started swearing.

“Hammond, if this is about the tracker thing that was in me, it’s been taken care of,” I interrupted.

“Tell me!” he demanded.

“Best I can figure, it was put in during the physical therapy session I had—the woman physical therapist was definitely in on it. Not sure about the medical team or the lady shrink. The thing got infected—it was pulled out last Saturday.”

“Some good news,” Hammond said. “Are you sure it’s out? How do you know?”

“Pretty sure. I saw the thing, watched videotapes of its removal, and scanned the site myself with an ultrasound. It’s gone and nothing was put in its place. I take it you’re not claiming responsibility?”

“Hell no!” he bellowed. “We found those things in a bunch of our people,” he backed away from the phone momentarily, yelling, “Yes! Tell those idiots to stop whatever the hell they’re doing! My orders were to pick him up and escort him, not kidnap him! ... That’s wonderful! If he shoots one of them it will save me the trouble!” He returned to me. “Doctor Hawthorne, our people screwed up. They were supposed to pick you up and transport you to a facility where the device could be removed. I apologize. We...”

“Doctor Hawthorne, we’re sorry, sir—we’re talking to the Director now,” came the voice from outside the door.

“Hawthorne? Are you still there?” Hammond asked.

“I’m still here. I want a medical person on the line to tell me about the spray that was used on Barbara, and the recovery profile. Now.”

“They attacked Miss Macmillan?”

“Yes—a woman in a hotel maid’s uniform entered our room under false pretenses and used a spray on her. I used the same spray on your pseudo-maid and one of the goons in the hall. He was kind enough to provide me with his 40 caliber Glock pistol.”

“Doctor Hawthorne, what can I say...” Hammond sounded flustered.

“You can start by getting someone on the line who can explain this spray to me.”

“Yes, right away. The idiots outside your door have been told to leave. They would like to collect their team member, though.”

“Okay. Got it.” I put the phone in my shirt pocket, still on and open and walked to the door. I took a look through the peep hole. One goon standing, one bending over, tending to the third.

“Hey! You fools still out there?”

The one who had been bending over stood up and came a little closer to the door. “Yeah,” he said.

“Hammond says you want to pick up your girlfriend before you leave and I never see you again.”

“Yes, sir, if we can.”

Hmmm—a little more polite now. “Okay, but I want you to listen real close first. You listening?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Okay—here’s how it goes. You idiots broke into our room, assaulted Barbara, assaulted me, and tried to force the door open, loaded gun in hand. Got that so far?”

“Yes, sir.”

“As far as I’m concerned, the two of us are still in grave danger. I definitely fear for my life and the life of my friend, and I feel completely justified in blowing what little brains you have all over the walls of this fine hotel should you do anything at all threatening. Got that?”

“Yes, sir—we understand.”

“Good. Back up against the wall. That’s right. I’m going to unlock and open the door just a little. I want you to count to ten, and then slowly open the door, retrieve your friend, then close the door behind you. I want to see your hands, empty at all times. Anyone so much as twitches and I double-tap the lot of you. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, sir. We’re sorry, sir.”

“Wait until Hammond gets through with you... Here we go.”

I repositioned the faux-maid about eight inches from the door. I undid the latches, popped the door open a bit, and hopped quickly away from the door. I crouched, aiming for the center of the door.

The door opened slowly, pausing, then moving slowly to push the woman out of the way. One goon was opening the door, his buddy standing behind him, hands open and raised.

“I’m going to pick her up,” the front one told me.

“Slowly, and be careful of her ribs,” I suggested, still aiming for his head.

He took her arms and slowly pulled her out of the room. The other guy moved up slowly and closed the door.

When the latch clicked, I moved quickly to set the other latches, then went back to Barbara. I put the gun on the table with the fruit basket. Now my hands could start shaking, and they did.

Barbara was breathing normally, pulse strong and regular.

I picked up the phone again. “Okay, give me the rundown on this stuff.”

Another voice was on the line. “Doctor Hawthorne, is the sprayer about five inches long, an inch and a half in diameter, gray?”

“Yup, no other markings. Black sprayer top, like an asthma inhaler.”

“It sounds like ours. The agent is fast-acting. The effects last half an hour to forty minutes, depending on dosage and the size of the person. Did she hit her head on anything as she went down? That’s the major cause of injury. How much does she weigh?”

It seemed like so long ago that it had happened. “She’s never told me, and I wouldn’t ask, but I’d guess one forty. She didn’t hit her head, she just sort of collapsed. I’ll check her over again though to be sure. Recovery?”

“The agent has a very wide safety margin. She will probably be sleepy and confused when she first wakes up, mild euphoria, but the worst side-effect is a mild headache, and that’s rare.”

“Okay. Got that. I’ve also got two loaded syringes, each holding about 3 cc’s of a clear liquid.”

“Most likely those would be a combination tranquilizer and sedative, good for three or four hours.”

“I’ll flush those. Any other words of wisdom?”

“You’ve been through a very stressful situation. You should find a way to debrief as soon as possible. We have people you can talk to.”

“I imagine Doctor Denise is off your list,” I told him sarcastically.

“I’m sorry you’ve been put through this, Doctor Hawthorne, especially after what you’ve done for us. If I can help in any way, I will.”

“Thank you—I’m sorry. You’ve given me the information I need. Is Hammond still there?”

“Yes, I’m here. Hawthorne, I’m sorry. We’ve been very concerned about you since we learned about the damn things. We knew you’d gone through Miami, but we weren’t able to locate you until this morning.”

“My phone has been on all damn day. A phone call would have been nice,” I told him. But as I said it, I realized it worked both ways—I could have called him, and perhaps I should have, if I hadn’t been pissed—that’s what happens when you take things personally.

“Yes, I agree, especially once we located you. We totally blew this one, and I’m taking responsibility for it. Is there someplace where we can meet and talk, face to face? I owe it to you.”

I agreed with that! “Let me think about it. I’ll give you a call tomorrow.”

“Please call me later today and let me know how Macmillan is doing.”

I thought about Christie, something I’d not done in a while. “Okay, I’ll do that. Has anyone heard from Doctor Flynn?”

I heard him sigh. Maybe he does have a heart. “No, we haven’t. I haven’t tried contacting her for a few days. I’ll give her a call.”

“Okay. I’ll call you again later.”

“Doctor Hawthorne, again, my apologies. I would like to talk to you personally.”

“I think that would be good for both of us. I’ll let you know.”

I hung up and folded up the phone. My hands were shaking still. I watched my right hand—isn’t that how it started? Looking at my right hand? I took a few deep breaths; that helped. I moved Barbara on to the bed—she was heavy—and checked her over. No lumps on her pretty head.

I picked up the gun again. I don’t like guns—figure out what to do about it later, leave it out for now. I dropped the sprayer in my luggage, the bag I checked.

Sitting with her on the bed, she looked so peaceful, and so pretty. Being with her was so nice. And she hadn’t done anything remotely sneaky, just enjoying each other’s company, making love, holding each other.... But now, it seems, we’re back in the real world.

“Oh Barbara,” I whispered, straightening up her hair.

She started moving a while later. I moved closer, looking down at her. She smiled and pulled me down into a kiss.

But broke off the kiss after a few seconds. I sat up.

“Roger! What happened? This woman...”

I held her shoulders. “It’s okay—we’re safe. Hammond’s people thought I was in danger.”

She frowned.

“They went away. I talked to Hammond. They found out about the trackers—seems a few people in his organization had them. He wanted mine taken out, and I told him that had been done already.”

“But that woman—she attacked me, spraying something in my face.”

I nodded. “Yup. How do you feel now?”

“Okay, I guess. A little confused. Help me sit up.”

I did. She pointed to the gun on the table. “Where the hell did that come from?”

“Oh that? I got it from one of the people who dropped by,” I said with a smile.

She frowned more. “Just like that?”

“I can be very persuasive,” I told her.

She shook her head. “Help me to the bathroom, please?”

I helped her up, hugging once she stood.

“Oh Roger—it was so nice...”

I held her and rocked her. “I know. And it still can be.”

She was cautious about the first few steps, but seemed okay after that. I left her in the bathroom.

I looked at the gun again. I pulled the clip and cleared the round from the chamber. The room safe was as good a place as any, I figured.

“You okay?” I called out after a bit.

She stepped from the bathroom naked. She smiled and ran her fingers through her hair. “We still have a few hours before we need to get ready for dinner...”

I kicked off my shoes. By the time I met her at the edge of the bed, I was naked as well.

We crawled into the bed together. “Your hands are cold!” she complained.

Bless her, she’d put on perfume. Soon we were both warmed up. I was on top of her, pulling her knees up, teasing her button with a finger. Her head tossed back and forth on the bed, wonderful noises coming from her. After a long moan, she pulled my hand away. I rocked more, and she gripped my torso between her thighs and calves. “Oh, squeeze!” I cried out. She squeezed me, and soon I was pumping into her.

Collapsing down, she pulled me to a nipple and held me. My arms flew around her, clutching.

“Gentle, gentle,” she whispered, squeezing my head and moving me around a little. I gave myself to her once more.

I woke up to an empty bed. I picked up my phone and called Hammond. This time I didn’t even have to announce myself; it was, “I’ll connect you to the Director, Doctor Hawthorne.”

When he came on the line I told him Barbara seemed to be fine. I was still thinking about a place to meet and would call him tomorrow.

I put the phone down as Barbara climbed back in bed.

“I agreed to call Hammond and let him know how you were doing.”

“He knows we’re together?”

“He did as of this morning, at least.”

“Did he say anything about that?” she asked as we snuggled together again.

“Nope, not a word.”

“Tell me what happened?”

I told her as best I could remember. The gun was in the safe; we had to do something about that.

By this time her head was on my chest.

“Oh Roger, It was so nice being with you...” She sobbed gently; I held her and kissed her hair.

“And it still can be, isn’t that what we said?”

I held her, enjoying the simple sensations.

She moved in my arms. “Here,” she said, “move down—I need to hold you.”

I slid down and she held me, gently but firmly. She moved one hand after a while, but it was only to brush the tears from my eyes.

“We need to get up and get ready,” she whispered, waking me up, then holding me closely once more. I hugged her tight, then let go, luxuriating in her embrace, in the contentedness of being held to her. We separated.

But when we got up, I pulled her to me and we kissed.

“I’m going to shower,” I told her. She nodded.

I showered, shaved, dumped the syringes, and started getting dressed. When I stepped back into the bedroom area, she was standing in front of the mirror, wearing a simple but beautiful full-length dress, arranging a string of pearls around her neck.

“That dress is beautiful,” I said, walking up and kissing her on the back of the neck. I wound my arms around her waist.

“You’re biased,” she chuckled, holding my arms.

“You’re right,” I admitted, kissing her neck.

She turned in my arms, leaning back a bit.

“I love that look on your face,” I told her.

“Thank you.”

I sighed. “And I love the look on your face when we’re making love, the way you arch your neck back, your head moving, tossing your hair...”

She raised an eyebrow. “Would you like to know my favorite?”

“Me between your legs?” I suggested optimistically.

I felt the shiver run through her. “No, my favorite look on your face...”

“When you’re on top of me, driving me crazy, the magic you do with your hips?”

“Mmm... that is nice... I like doing that, but it’s not my favorite...”

“What, then?”

She smiled and slid a hand up my arm to the back of my neck, holding me gently. My eyes closed part way.

“It’s when I hold you to me, hold you close at my breast. The look on your face... you’re so relaxed and peaceful...”

“I hope you like it as much as I do,” I whispered.

She smiled more, almost a smirk. “I could hold you like that for hours—and I have, and I will, again. I’ve never met someone like you, Roger. I’ve never held, or been held by someone like you.”

“Thank you, Barbara—I’ve never experienced anything like the time we’ve had together.”

The phone rang.

“I’ll get it,” she told me. She kissed me on the nose and gave me a squeeze.

“Yes?” she said, answering the phone. “Very good—we’ll be down in ten minutes or so.” She put down the phone. “I spoke with Carl. He’s sent a car for us. I know the driver.”

I got my pants and put them on. “Thank you. Especially given what’s been happening.”

She shook her head. “It’s unbelievable—especially from Hammond’s organization.”

I shook my head. I looked down at my right foot—the outside was bruised from where the door whacked it. I opened my suitcase for a pair of socks. Gee, hadn’t worn socks for a while. That was nice. As I picked up the socks, I came across the sprayer. I dumped it in my pants pocket. What the hell.

I put on my shoes, and my coat. When I put my wallet in my dress pants, I moved the sprayer to my coat pocket.

“What’s wrong?” Barbara asked.

“Right foot is sore from the door whacking it.”

“Want me to kiss it and make it better?”

I hugged her. “I can think of better places to kiss...”

We walked to the elevators. We were on the 11th floor, one of the “club” floors, with supposedly restricted access. Yet those four goons hadn’t had any problems.

The elevator arrived. I stepped forward, blocking Barbara’s path. I stepped in, pushed two buttons, lobby and 3, and got out. When the door closed and the elevator started down, I hit the button again.

“Is that a little paranoid?” Barbara asked.

“Yes, but is it too paranoid?”

We made it to the lobby without incident. Barbara recognized our driver and we were whisked off. The drive was short, to a continental-looking restaurant.

I took Barbara’s arm and we walked in. At the reception desk she said, “Mister Bergman’s party.” The hostess smiled and said, “This way, please.” We walked through the restaurant and up a flight of stairs to a private room. It had a bar set up in one corner, and a table set for eight. Besides waiters and waitresses, a man and a woman were in the room. The man looked to be early fifties, trim, sharp looking suit. The woman was maybe early forties, tall, good posture. She wore an expensive looking dress, and was skinny on top.

“Doctor Hawthorne,” the man said as we approached. “I’m Carl Bergman, and this is my wife Jerry. We’re pleased you could make it tonight.” His handshake was no-nonsense.

“Would you care for something to drink?” he asked us.

“Barbara?” I asked, turning to her.

“Whisky sour, please.”

“And a glass of white wine,” I added.

Carl stepped away. Jerry asked, “How was your visit to the island? I understand it was cut a bit short?”

Barbara replied. “We only had rain a few days. We could have stayed for another week.” I loved the look she gave me.

“Yes, we could have. I might even have started working on a tan, but the people in Seattle wouldn’t recognize me.” That got polite laughter.

Carl returned with our drinks. I took a sip of wine.

“Doctor Hawthorne,” Carl began.

“Please call me Roger,” I interrupted.

He nodded. “Thank you, Roger. We have another couple, a member of the firm, joining us, and two young men. At the end of the evening, I would be most interested in your opinion of the young men.”

“In what respect?” I asked.

“Oh, generally, entry-level management positions.”

I nodded.

Another couple arrived, an older man, somewhat overweight, gray hair and nice suit. His companion was about the same age as Barbara and me, mid 30’s, and stacked—a trophy, or bait?

“Roger Hawthorne, may I introduce Arthur Kot, and ...” Carl paused and Arthur said, “Jeanne.”

I smiled and shook Arthur’s hand. “Pleasure to meet you.” Jeanne gave me a hug, letting me know how stacked she was.

We made chit-chat for a few minutes. Two waiters appeared with trays of finger food. I went for the bacon-wrapped scallops.

After a bit I said, “Excuse me for a moment.” I put down my empty wine glass at the bar and asked, “Where’s the men’s room?”

The bartender told me, “The door to your right, down the hall, you can’t miss it.”

“Thanks.”

I went out the door and into a narrow corridor. The restrooms were at the end. Oh well, returning to a different fluid balance, I guess. Should have gone before we left. Afterwards I washed my hands and straightened my ponytail. I’d brought the business coat. I almost wish I’d brought the bohemian-professor one, just to tweak these folks.

I stepped back into the narrow corridor. A waiter was walking towards me. When he was about eight feet away, he brandished a knife in his right hand.

“Put that away before you get hurt,” I told him severely, taking half a step back and to the wall on my right. His posture was wrong—I couldn’t see his left hand, and the way he was standing, his real weapon was in his left—another knife? My nose was running a little from the ferocious air-conditioning. I sniffled a little and cleared my throat.

The idiot made a half-assed lunge toward me with the knife.

I spit in his face. As he recoiled, I gave him a light kick in the rocks to slow him down. He started to fold, his left hand coming up. My, my—a stun gun... It was clacking loudly, arcs shooting between the electrodes. As his hands reflexively approached his face, the knife blade got too close to the stun gun and pretty electrical arcs played over the blade. He twitched, dropping the stun gun and the knife. I took a breath, pulled out the sprayer, and gave it to him in the face.

He wobbled and went down the rest of the way to the floor. I picked up the stun gun. My that would have hurt if he’d been successful; he would have gotten me in the right side. I picked up the knife—it was sharp. I stepped over his body, and went back to our dining room, pocketing the weapons.

I walked over to Carl, cutting between him and the two young men he’d been speaking with. “A word with you, Mister Bergman,” I said, using the full Sensei voice to move him backwards.

I walked him to a corner of the room where a tray was set up to receive used glasses and such.

“Bergman—either your security stinks, or you’re playing games. In any event, there’s an unconscious man in the hallway over there. He had these.” I put the knife and the stun gun on the tray. “Good night.”

Barbara was talking with Jerry, Arthur, and Jeanne. I walked over to them.

“Barbara, I’m leaving,” I told her.

She looked at me in surprise, and stood there.

“Coming or staying?” I asked flatly. She blinked. I turned and walked toward the door.

She caught up with me as I was opening the door.

“What happened?” she whispered, taking my arm.

“I’ll tell you when we’re outside.”

Our driver was waiting for us downstairs. He seemed surprised to see us, but hopped up, saying, “You’re leaving?”

“Please,” I told him.

“I’ll get the car.”

We stepped out into the balmy Miami evening.

“What happened?” Barbara asked, clinging to my arm.

“I went to the bathroom, and when I headed back, an idiot tried to jump me in the hallway. As I told Bergman, either his security stinks, or he’s playing games. In either case, I’m not interested.”

She gasped and shook her head.

A minute or so later, the driver reappeared with the car. “To the hotel?”

I was still hungry. “Do you know a place with good steaks, prime rib?”

He smiled. “Yes, sir, I do.”

I turned to Barbara. “That sound okay? I’m still hungry.”

She shook her head. “Roger, I don’t know what to say. Yes, that sounds good.”

“Let’s go!”

The place he took us to looked popular. The three of us went in. I left my name, table for two. The guy at the desk gave me a weird look and curtly said half an hour minimum. Fine. Barbara and I sat down. I noticed our driver having a word with our host, and it didn’t look too polite.

But when he came over to us, or driver was all smiles. “I’ll be waiting outside in the car. Take your time.”

“Thank you; I appreciate it,” I told him.

I held Barbara’s hand and looked at her. “Barbara, a man I respect told me your organization was in another league compared to Hammond’s. That wasn’t quite what I expected.”

She was still shaken. “Roger, I don’t know what to say—I expected something unusual, but not that. Having you size up two juniors, yes—but not that. I’m stunned, and appalled.”

I smiled. I was on more familiar ground now. I took both her hands and looked at her. “Barbara, take a deep breath, and when you let it out, let go of all those feelings. We’re going to have a wonderful dinner together. Right?”

She smiled. It took a few breaths, but I think she relaxed.

We heard names being called for tables. The place looked good. I was going to have dinner, and enjoy it.

I was surprised when after a few minutes, our host came over to us and said, “Your table is ready sir, if you would please follow me.”

I stood up. Barbara gave me a raised eyebrow.

We were shown to a nice booth. “What happened?” Barbara asked as we sat down.

“I believe our driver exchanged some words with our host. Whatever he said, I appreciate it, and hope it didn’t involve threats of violence.”

I took a glance at the wine list. “Ooh, you’re going to have to help me on this one—I only know Left Coast wines.” I handed it to Barbara. She laughed, a good sign.

We had a marvelous meal—salad, prime rib, potatoes, red wine, and small talk, pushing the earlier events of the day out of our minds. We had their caramel custard for dessert. “Doesn’t match up to Gail’s,” I sighed. Barbara agreed.

I paid the bill and left a generous tip. As we walked out, I stopped at the host’s desk. “Thank you for a wonderful meal,” I told him. He smiled and nodded.

We walked out to the car. I tapped on the window, and our driver hopped out.

“How was dinner?” he asked.

“You can let his kids out of the trunk now—it was great, thanks to you.”

He laughed, and so did we.

When we went into the hotel lobby, I saw one of the goons from earlier in the day. He was sitting in a corner, not really reading a magazine. I walked right over to him, leaned over in his face, and said quietly but firmly, “I said I never wanted to see you again.”

He gave me a sheepish look. “Sir, the Director said I’m supposed to watch you.”

I nodded. Then I asked, “How’s the girl? Any broken ribs?”

“One broken, a few bruised, concussion.”

“Tell her I’m sorry—she rushed me. I don’t like hurting people.”

“Thank you, sir. I’ll let her know.”

We walked past the front desk to the elevators. As we approached the elevators, another man walked up.

“Hotel security, sir—was that man bothering you? He was here earlier in the day.”

“Let’s see some I.D.”

He produced a photo I.D. that looked like it cost someone some money. Might even be real.

“Please leave him alone. He screwed up earlier today, and as penance he gets to sit up most of the night.”

The guy smiled. “Yes sir. I understand.”

I ran my card key through the reader for the “club” elevator. The door opened and Barbara and I got in. I punched the button. “I do not like hurting people, but in some circumstances, I’m willing to make an exception,” I muttered. Barbara had an interesting look on her face. I gave her a hug, which she returned with interest.

We got ready for bed. She still looked off-balance.

“Barbara, I need to hold you, and I need to be held,” I whispered as I held her in the dark.

We got into bed and snuggled up. We went to sleep in each other’s arms.

I got up early, went to the bathroom, and crawled back in bed. There is something very special about crawling into bed and snuggling up to a warm, soft, body.

I started out snuggled next to her back, and after a while she turned to hold me—heaven. I went to sleep again in her embrace.

I awoke to a hand running over me as her other hand held me to her. She inflamed me, then moved on top of me. I held her waist as she rocked us to heaven, burying my head between her breasts.

After she did her magic, she held me again, rocking me gently. I settled in and let go.

I woke again to her kissing the top of my head. I held her, hearing and feeling her heart beat.

“Thank you,” I whispered, kissing her breasts.

“Thank you, Roger,” she whispered back.

“Shower with me?”

“Of course.”

We showered and dried together. As we dried our hair, she asked, “What should we do today?”

“Is today Wednesday? Have breakfast and figure out what we want to do when we grow up?”

She laughed and leaned on me. “I like that.”

We dressed and headed down to the coffee shop. “Ever done Orlando and the Mouse?” I asked.

“No, I haven’t. Thinking of that?”

“I’m not sure. I did Disneyland on the Left Coast a few years ago. I’d like it more if they had places where adults could stray off together...”

She laughed as she finished up her hair. “Such as?”

“Oh, nothing so tacky as the love hotels in Japan—but after the heat and humidity, something cool and sensuous would be nice...”

“Would you come home with me for a few days? I think I may know of something...”

“That sounds nice. I could meet Hammond in D.C. tomorrow.”

She smiled. “I could use the time as well. Give me your plane ticket, and I’ll take care of things. I’ll have the Eggs Benedict, large orange juice, and coffee.”

“I can do that,” I told her. I dug out my ticket and handed it to her. We headed downstairs.

We parted at the lobby. I went to the coffee shop, got a table, and ordered for us. She appeared about five minutes later, a big smile on her face.

“All set?”

She nodded as I helped her take her seat. I gave her a kiss. “If we can be at the airport in two hours,” she told me.

“We can do that, but you’ll have to do something for me.”

“What’s that?”

“Don’t put on any more perfume...”

She laughed. “I’ll remember that...”

“Oh fuck,” I muttered.

“What?”

“What the hell do we do with the gun?”

“Give it back—Hammond’s man is back in the lobby.”

“Sounds good.”

We finished breakfast. Barbara went to arrange something, and I walked over to our tail.

“You get any sleep last night?” I asked him.

“About three hours, sir.”

“Come upstairs and I’ll return the gun.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Barbara walked up. I asked her, “We have wheels to the airport?”

“I thought we’d use a cab.”

I looked at our friend. “Can you take us to the airport?”

He actually smiled. “Yes, sir. I can do that.”

“Okay, upstairs.”

I got the gun from the safe while Barbara was packing. I handed it to him. “Be careful—people with these things get hurt.”

“Yes, sir,” he said with a dour face.

He helped us with the bags, and went to get the car while Barbara checked us out.

We loaded into his car, a Taurus. “International?” he asked.

“American Airlines domestic—New York then Amsterdam,” I told him.

I glanced at Barbara. She didn’t even raise an eyebrow.

We screwed up, though—we got to the airport and through check-in and security with too much time to spare. That meant our flight was delayed—bad weather at National, our destination We headed for the lounge

“When should I schedule my meeting?” I asked Barbara.

She smiled, pulling out her phone. “Oh, tomorrow morning. Don’t make plans for tomorrow evening.”

I smiled. “And I won’t make plans for real early in the morning, either—you’re delicious in the morning.” We exchanged a quick kiss and she stepped away, flipping her phone open. I hit the speed-dial on mine.

“How are the two of you doing today?” Hammond asked when he got on the line.

“Pretty good. We could meet in D.C. tomorrow morning if that’s convenient.”

He chuckled. “Not Amsterdam? Where would you like to meet?”

“You know the National Air and Space Museum?”

“Yes.”

“There’s a bench underneath Burt Rutan’s ‘Voyager’ aircraft. Ten thirty tomorrow morning?”

“I’ll be there. Thank you for the opportunity.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, then.”

I’d been remiss in calling people. I dialed another number. I should have called Abiko by now.

“Hello?” she said. It was early on the Left Coast still.

“I’m sorry if I woke you. It’s Roger calling”

“Sensei, are you all right?” asked Abiko. “People have been coming by trying to find you. Janice left for Miami. She was concerned as well.”

“Abiko, I’m fine. There was something which came up, but it’s been handled. Everything is fine. How are you doing? How are things going at the dojo?”

“Oh Sensei, it’s good to hear you. We’ve been worried about you. Things at the dojo are going fine.”

We talked for a few more minutes. No, I didn’t know exactly when I’d be home, but I’d call again in a few days.

I made a quick call to the attorney, letting him know I was okay. We’d gotten an electronic-funds-transfer on the settlement check, directly into my cash management account. We talked for a bit.

I put the phone back in my pocket and kissed Barbara as she stepped back to me.

“What’s happening on the home front?” she asked.

“Oh, folks trying to track me down—sounds like Janice deflected most of it from Abiko, but after a bit both Janice and Abiko were worried. The attorney I’m working with likes Janice, and didn’t trust any of the others who came knocking. Oh, the settlement money came in.”

She looked at me quizzically.

“After the Chicago debacle, Hammond and company sent me a settlement agreement, picking up health care costs and giving me a significant amount of cash, done in a way which makes it virtually all tax-free. The attorney understands it, anyway. The net result is I have even less motivation to work very hard, if at all.”

“As long as Hammond is in business...”

“Maybe for health coverage, I’ll have to ask about that, but I’ve got the money now. You think Hammond’s organization is in that much trouble?”

She looked grim. “We’ll find out in the next few days, but they suffered major blows, and seem to be making some egregious mistakes.”

“Unlike some other organizations?” I asked.

She nodded with a frown. “There’s no lack of stupid, it seems.”

Then she added, “Roger, I gave your number to another of our people. Alain is in Europe. He’d like to speak with you.”

I nodded as we sat down.

She punched a button and folded up her phone, dropping it back in her bag and giving me a smug yet somewhat sad look.

“Barbara, I’d still like to travel with you. I haven’t forgotten about that.”

She smiled and sighed. “I know.” She handed me my ticket.

I glanced at the itineraries—hers was with mine. As I handed it back, something caught my eye.

“What is this ‘Doctor Macmillan?’ I’ve not heard that before.”

She smiled. “Ph.D. in art history.”

Now I was really confused. “I’m afraid I don’t see the connection...”

She laughed. “I was in Europe, in Italy, doing research and met some very interesting people. I was young, and they were interested in my talents.”

I raised an eyebrow.

She laughed. “Translating for them—I know Latin, Greek, Italian, German, and a bit of Spanish and Portuguese. The organization started in Europe. From what Alain said, he heard quite quickly about what happened last night, and he is not at all happy with Carl and Arthur.”

“Okay, so which one planned that escapade, and which one ratted him out?”

She smirked and shook her head. “Don’t know. Either one, either way. They’re both considered cowboys.”

“I’ll agree with that. So, what would we do in Europe and Japan traveling together?”

Her smile deepened. “Oh Roger, I’m glad you haven’t foreclosed that.”

I moved my hands to her shapely waist. “I enjoy being with you—even when we’re not in bed together. You are a wonderful companion. As long as the job description doesn’t involve roughing up punks on a regular basis, I’m still quite interested.”

“No Roger, you’re wanted for other things.” She scooted closer to me on the couch.

“My intellect and keen powers of observation,” I said, kissing her neck.

“Oh you!” she said, leaning back and away from me.

I pouted, sticking out my lower lip. She laughed.

“Actually, you’re right. What did you think of the clinic, and our island retreat?”

“Other than both of them being fortresses? Nice places, efficient.”

She nodded. “Very few people spot that, Roger. How would you attack either place? What are their weaknesses?”

“Depends on the goal of the attack. I’d want to catch Paul off guard, that’s for sure. No place is completely safe, as we learned in our hotel room.”

She nodded. “Thank you for saving us. If they’d managed to haul us off, all hell would have broken loose. Part of what we’d be doing is traveling, meeting people, and using your powers of observation.”

I shook my head. “You must have experts in those areas, though.”

“You’ll get to meet them, and work with them. Some times you need a fresh perspective.”

“Like after someone has given you a surprise?” I moved a hand up her waist to softly stroke the side of her breast.

She held my hand in place. “Now you’re guessing.”

I slid closer. “Some things I don’t have to guess at.”

She held me, then started laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I asked. “Do you know how nice it is to go to sleep in someone’s arms?”

She gave me a squeeze. “Yes, and it’s grand. And I can hardly wait to get you home.”

My phone rang. As I picked it up, Barbara’s phone rang as well.

The man on the other end introduced himself as Alain, speaking Parisian French. Barbara gave my shoulder a squeeze and stepped away.

Alain and I spoke for a few minutes. He apologized at the way we had been treated. He was going to be in the Washington, D.C. area tomorrow. Would it be possible for me to meet with him? I smiled, and suggested the National Air and Space Museum—under the Voyager aircraft, at 11:30. That would be fine, he told me. He pressed me for my opinion of Carl and Arthur. I told him I didn’t have enough exposure to form a balanced opinion. I added that the driver had given us superb service. He chuckled and told me he was looking forward to meeting me in person, and to working with me.

Barbara returned, with quite the sway in her hips. She sat down close, almost on top of me. I put an arm around her waist. “Good news, I take it?”

She gave me a very sexy look. “Mmmm yes...” Then a look of concern formed. “You don’t have problems with dark places, do you?”

I held her. “Nope, why?”

She pulled my head to her shoulder. “How about a place so dark that you’ll have to rely on your other senses?”

“Sounds interesting, especially if you’ll be there.”

“Oh, most definitely—I wouldn’t miss it.” She frowned. “You won’t mind me being tied up tomorrow during the day?”

I wiggled my eyebrows. She smirked and added, “Figuratively, dear—loose ends.”

I picked up her hand and kissed it. A thought crossed my mind. “I could do something approximating work tomorrow as well...”

She kissed my hand. “As long as you’re done by six...”

I dug out my trusty address book. I set up a meeting—half past twelve at the Air and Space Museum.

Barbara was running a hand over my back again. My, that felt nice. “A colleague?” she asked.

I nodded. “We’re actually collaborating on a research effort. We haven’t seen each other face-to-face since...” A shudder ran through me—I know she felt it.

“Since?” she asked softly.

“Boulder, almost two years ago,” I whispered in reply, turning more to her.

She nodded, smiling slightly. “If nothing else, that brought us together.”

I smiled. “Yes, so many positive things have come out of it...”

We hugged quietly.

Our flight was delayed, the weather around DC was abysmal, but we finally arrived at Barbara’s. Standing inside her door, I stomped my feet and shook my head, getting rid of the excess rain and sleet.

“I deliberately didn’t bring an overcoat,” I told her.

She smiled and drew me into her arms. After we kissed, she told me, “I’ve got one you can use tomorrow. But for now, you’re here, with me.”

She gave me the two-bit tour as I carried the bags upstairs. It was a nice two-story place, two bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs, downstairs with the parlor, dining room, kitchen, and a small office. A light on the answering machine in the office was blinking. When I motioned to it, she told me, “It can wait until tomorrow—at least.”

Back in the kitchen, she opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of white wine. “If you’ll do the honors,” she told me, pulling open a drawer to get the opener.

I opened it and poured two glasses, handing her one.

“And now,” she told me, “I’m going to fix us dinner.”

“What can I do to help?” I asked.

“Sit and talk with me?”

Barbara is very bright as well as very beautiful. It didn’t take her long to figure out that she’d be better off if I had something to keep me busy... I put the salad together for us.

We sat together, eating to candlelight. We cleaned up the kitchen, and then she insisted on checking things on her Mac. I shook my head, giving her that Sensei look, but I broke into a smile. I’d be doing the same thing. Did I really want to get a computer for the house?

She had a pile of e-mail messages, but waved those off. We looked at weather forecasts, including satellite pics. Forecasters were calling it the first hurricane of the season. Paul and Gail were in for it, by the looks of things.

We puttered downstairs a little more. She showed me an overcoat I could use; it fit nicely. I hung it back in the closet, and when I turned to her again, she had the most interesting smile on her face.

I stepped closer and took her hands in mine.

“Let’s go upstairs,” she whispered.

I got my bag of bathroom stuff. Now she had a contemplative look. “What is it?” I asked.

She smiled. “Would you do me a favor?”

“Of course.”

“Use the bathroom downstairs, and wait for me in the parlor?”

I smiled and kissed one of her hands. “I’ll be waiting.”

She beamed. I walked downstairs. Sounded like a pretty good invitation to me.

I sat on the loveseat in the parlor, waiting. After a bit I closed my eyes, feeling my breath, relaxing. It had been a very interesting trip, and a worthwhile one.

I heard her coming down the stairs.

She stepped into the room wearing the same dark blue velvet dress she’d worn that first evening. Her diamond earrings sparkled in the light. This time her feet were bare. As she stepped closer, I could tell she wasn’t wearing anything under the dress.

I sighed before she touched me. She wrapped her arms around me, holding me. I held her waist.

“Thank you, Barbara—thank you for so much,” I whispered.

She sat down next to me. “I haven’t worn this dress for anyone else,” she told me.

I smiled and held out my arms. As we kissed, running our hands over each other, I couldn’t help but think of that first evening. Oh how much had happened since then! But that was the past.

I nuzzled my way down her body. She squeezed me to her perfumed breasts, making me moan and hold her tight. But I slid down further, kneeling on the floor, pulling her bottom closer to the edge of the loveseat and raising her dress, kissing my way up her thighs.

Her taste, her scent, the sounds she made and the way she squeezed me, the heat radiating from her, the softness of her dress—that was here, and now.

She pushed me away. “Upstairs, please,” she panted.

Once again she led me upstairs. The lights in the room were dim. There was something else. “It’s cool in here,” I told her, my hands moving by themselves over her body.

“All the better for you to hold me with,” she growled.

She undressed me slowly, sensuously, teasing me.

I was naked on the bed and she was on top of me, still wearing her dress, kissing me, holding me as my hands roved. We moved some and she held my head to her bosom, filling me with softness, warmth, and perfume. She held me and sang softly, taking me to a cloud where we made love, then snuggled together for sleep.

In the morning she was on her back as she held me to her. She inflamed me, ending up on her stomach as I enjoyed riding her sensuous bottom. After another snuggle, we showered together and got ready for the day. We hugged at the top of the stairs.

“Thank you for a wonderful, delirious evening,” I whispered in her ear.

She hugged me close, breathed hotly in my ear, and bit my earlobe.

We had a light breakfast downstairs. The TV weather reported nastiness in the Bahamas.

Barbara made sure I had directions; I insisted on using Metro rather than taking a cab. As I put on the coat, I moved a bit in it. “What’s this lined with?” I asked. It felt weird.

She smirked. “Kevlar derivative. Good against knives, pointy things, and small caliber arms. I’m told there are extra layers covering the chest, and in the forearms, although I’m not sure why.”

I felt the forearms of the coat. Yes, felt thicker along the outside. “Good for blocking,” I told her. “Are you worried about something?”

She shook her head. “No. But I want you to be careful anyway—don’t get into trouble.”

I hugged her. “Yes, dear—I’ll be good. See you tonight.”

We kissed and she let me out the door.

Work in Progress

Rev 4/06/2003