The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

MEET THE B—GRRRLS

All the usual disclaimers apply. This is a work of adult fiction, and as such should not be read by minors. Should you choose to ignore this warning...well, you’ll have to pay your own psychologist’s bill, bucko. Cause I did warn you.

Author’s notes: Once upon a time, there was this wonderful little late night Saturday camp/horror moviefest called “Elvira: Mistress of the Dark.” On, one night, she ran a camp horror classic from 1973 called “Invasion of the Bee Women,” in which women were transformed into sexual predators who, upon mating with a man, killed him. In other words, he had a heart attack from what was apparently the best sex of his life. And the women’s eyes got all big and black just like a bee’s.

Cut to 15 years or so later. An author with an affection for that old cult classic happens to run across a set of photo-manipulations by Tabico, in which she states, more or less “I wish I was a bee girl.” And the wheels start turning.

So here I am, writing a very long story about a new invasion of the bee women (or, for my purposes, B-Grrrls). And I am enjoying it very much. But I know there are some who won’t, and so I will give the following warnings:

  1. The opening chapters DO NOT contain much sex. The story will build into some very interesting and intense sexual moments, but those moments are not going to happen immediately.
  2. You may not like the way I develop the story. That’s fine, too—everybody can and should have an opinion on that. But that is the way I am developing the story, and I hope you will give it a chance.

Thank you, Tabico. B-Grrrls rule!

PART ONE – 6:23 PM, April 13, 2003

“Coming up, Mark Steinberg will tell us whether Mother Nature is going to drench us again tomorrow, but first, let’s go live to the Nassau Coliseum, where NewsChannel Eight’s Maria Sanchez has all the latest buzz about the country’s newest pop music phenomenon. Maria?”

“Well, Barbara, you’re right about one thing…fans are definitely buzzing here in Nassau tonight, as the first live appearance ever for the B-Grrrls sold-out within 30 minutes of the tickets going on-sale four months ago. After two number-one selling pop singles, a multi-platinum album that debuted at number-one, and a 20 week reign in the top spot on MTV’s Total Request Live video countdown, the fans of this rock-pop quartet are extremely excited to have tickets for what, to them, is like seeing Elvis or the Beatles for the first time.”

As a pre-taped segment of interviews with fans rolled from inside the live truck, Maria Sanchez lost her for-the-camera smile, frowning at the words she had just read live on the air. She knew that being at the scene of the B-Grrrls live debut was, for better or worse, another gold star on her feature-reporting scorecard. Still, it bothered her that the words she was reading were not her own. One of the requirements made by the group’s handlers in exchange for exclusive live coverage at the concert venue was that they have “editorial input” into whatever went on the air. An “input” that was, to put it mildly, making her sound more like a cheerleader than a reporter.

However, being pretty, well spoken, and a minority was no longer the combination guaranteed to propel one into the ranks of the networks. In an era of cutbacks, corporate mergers, and reality shows that made stars of ‘ordinary’ people, the numbers of upwardly mobile reporters who never got the big break or the big money was rapidly growing. So, if she had to smile and say someone else’s words to push her closer to her dream of leaving local TV behind…so be it.

As Mark, her segment producer, started counting backward, indicating the time until her live segment resumed, Maria’s smile returned, and she nodded toward the pretty blonde woman standing about four feet away. Motioning with her hand, she indicated that her interview subject should move into camera range and stand beside her.

“And live again in three…two…one….”

“And of course, all those fans are here to see Amanda, Shana, Emme, and Desi, the four ‘grrrls’ at the center of this outpouring of excitement and adoration. Joining me now is the architect of the sound and image of the B-Grrrls, their personal manager, Deborah Franks.”

The broadly smiling blonde shook her head slightly as she spoke. “Now, Maria, to call me the architect of this success is really giving me too much credit….”

“Not according to Entertainment Weekly, which documented the control you have exercised in creating this group from their inception…right down to the color hair each girl would have.”

The petite blonde’s smile lost some of its wattage. “That article in EW, while purporting to be gleaned from numerous sources, actually was based mostly on interviews with one person, a disgruntled former employee who I won’t dignify by mentioning by name. Her attempts to undermine me, and, through me, the girls, have been identified by the New York City District Attorney as possible extortion, and as such, I won’t comment on that story or any other that used her as a source.”

‘Score one for journalistic integrity,’ thought Maria, knowing she’d deviated from the script of interview questions Deborah had faxed over that afternoon. By waiting until after the group’s manager was on live television with her, Maria had guaranteed that she, not Deborah, would be in control…at least, for the next 90 seconds.

“Fair enough, Ms. Franks. However, many find it strange that, except for a few pre-taped appearances on MTV, and some heavily stage-managed press conferences, there have been few opportunities to talk with the band members one-on-one. More than that, none of these girls seem to have a life outside the group anymore…no contact with family, no boyfriends, never seen doing anything outside the gates of the mansion they’ve taken over in Southern California…the mansion where, strangely enough, you reside as well, Ms. Franks. Why such seclusion and secrecy?”

Apparently better prepared for this question, Deborah Franks smiled widely again. “Well, Maria, as you know, the girls have been rather unprepared for their sudden stardom, and have felt a lot of pressure to make this tour a big success. Having never performed before live crowds in the thousands is a daunting endeavor even for experienced musical groups, and the B-Grrrls are not in that category. So, they have been preparing – physically, musically, mentally, emotionally preparing for what will be something these fans never, ever forget…the beginning of a group that will enthrall now, and for decades to come!”

The intensity of Deborah’s spiel, as well as the tightening of the blonde’s grip on her arm gave Maria a bit of a pause. Gamely, the reporter kept her smile intact, and sprang her final surprise on the unsettling Ms. Franks.

“One final question, Deborah. According to DMV records, your birth date is listed as March 22, 1968, which is certainly makes you a youthful looking 35 years of age. However, according to the Department of Vital Records of the state of New Jersey, the Deborah Franks that was born in Secaucus, New Jersey on March 22, 1968 also died in Secaucus…on March 31, 1968, from a brain hemorrhage.” ‘Direct hit!’ thought Maria, as the smile disappeared from the woman next to her. “Tell us, Ms. Franks…who are you really? And why are you using the name of a dead child as your own?”

The shock and surprise on the face of the woman until that moment known as Deborah Franks were apparent only for an instant…replaced almost immediately by a powerful rage that manifested itself physically in the slight snarl that formed on her lips.

She leaned closer to the reporter, gripping her arm savagely. “Who I am, Ms. Sanchez, is not something that the likes of you and your ilk could understand. But rest assured…soon, the world will know.” The blonde woman turned toward the camera, “Soon enough, you will all know what it means to be a B-Grrrl.” And, with that, she whirled away from the camera crew and marched back toward the VIP-only entrance to the coliseum, trailed by two men wearing matching black suits…and sunglasses.

Not missing a beat, Maria turned back toward the still live camera. “As you can see, the woman who is known in the music business as the mastermind of the B-Grrrls has her own secrets to hide. Not the least of which includes explaining why she is using the name and identity of a child who died more than 35 years ago. Reporting live from Nassau Coliseum, I’m Maria Sanchez, NewsChannel Eight.”

She remained still, smiling into the camera, until Mark said “We’re clear.”

Only then did the tears she’d been holding in begin to fall.

Walking forward, she spoke calmly. “Richard, you have any tape in that camera?”

“Sure, Mar. Why?”

“I think that fucking bitch broke my arm. We’re going to the hospital first, then to the police station. And I want you to put it all on tape.”

Holding out her arm to the light mounted on the top of the camera, Maria slid the sleeve of her jacket up with her right hand. She heard both Richard and Mark gasp at what was there. It was a splotchy spot about the size of a small hand, already swelling and starting to show the signs of broken blood vessels.

“That’s going to leave a mark,” Maria thought, giggling incongruously at the sight.

Mark barely managed to catch her as she fell forward, unconscious.

Watching from inside the tinted glass doors of the coliseum, Deborah Franks raged as she watched the reporter fall to the ground, then get lifted into the station’s satellite truck.

‘So close,’ she ranted as she paced in the near-empty hallway. ‘So damn close to finishing it! And now this…this…news-reader who thinks she knows something can ruin it all!’

She eyed the news truck as it pulled away, probably taking the Sanchez woman to a hospital for examination. “Otto! Francis!”

The two black-suited men answered in unison. “Yes, majesty?”

“Follow them. Find out where she is, and keep a watchful eye. I want to know everything that happens, especially where she is and what she is doing at all times.”

“Yes, majesty. As you command.”

With that, the two men left by the same door they had entered only moments earlier, trotting for their car in the VIP lot.

In the years she had spent getting to this moment, Deborah Franks had several times needed to plug leaks that threatened to derail what she had been so carefully arranging. Now, only steps away from that dream, one woman had raised a question that might merit enough scrutiny to prevent her from getting any further.

That could not be allowed to happen.

Deborah walked down the hallway, toward the entrance of the coliseum, where the doors had just opened to admit the throngs of ticket holders.

She had carefully planned all the aspects of the first B-Grrrls concert. The location. The staging. The song selection. Everything, right down to the merchandise available in the main concourse.

T-shirts, of course. Buttons. Bumper stickers. Trinkets and knick-knacks of assorted sizes and colors. All with the girls’ images, or the symbol of the group, a feminized honeybee, standing on two legs, playing a guitar.

As at most concerts, the merchandise was all hideously expensive, and pre-teens and teens and young adults, all of who seemed to have more money than sense, were snapping it all up.

Which is what Deborah Franks had been counting on.

The lowest-priced of these trinkets was a Lucite-encased replica of a real honeybee, superimposed on the logo of the band. It was a simple pin, meant to be worn on jackets, or other clothing. At $2 per pin, it was one of the fastest selling of all the B-Grrrls merchandise.

Watching the pins leave the merchandise tables and carts, Deborah Franks allowed herself a cruel smile.

She walked up to the nearest table, staffed by a muscular man in a B-Grrrls t-shirt…and sunglasses. He nodded deferentially to her as she approached.

Fingering one of the cheap pins, her smile widened at a sudden thought. ‘Perhaps Ms. Sanchez needs a souvenir of tonight’s concert, as a get well present. Something that would put her in a more…receptive frame of mind.”

She fingered the pin for a moment more, then picked it up off the table and slipped it into her pocket. Turning, she walked back the way she had come, toward the backstage area. ‘First, we finish the show. Then…Maria Sanchez will be receiving a small token of my infection.”

Laughing loudly at her own play on words, Deborah Franks disappeared down the hall.

END PART ONE

INTERLUDE 1—July 6, 1957 – Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania

“So how do the drones know who the queen is?” asked the 4-H camp counselor?

Helena Carteris quickly raised her hand. “She smells different!”

“That’s right, Helena. And what do we call these scents?”

“Fear…fear….”

“No, Helena. Pheromones.” The instructor addressed the rest of the girls gathered round the table. “A pheromone is a scent which attracts animals. It can be used in some cases to attract different members of the same species for mating purposes. It some other cases, such as the Venus Fly-Trap, it can be used to lure animals into the plant’s cistern, where they die and are then used for food. In the case of the queen bee, it’s her pheromones that set her apart from the rest of the bees in the hive, causing the others to follow her lead. Now, if you’ll move over to the next table you’ll see that a spider doesn’t need pheromones to attract its prey….”

Helena remained near the plastic replica of the beehive, tapping the side to see if she could attract the attention of the insects inside. ‘What a perfect little world,’ she thought to herself. ‘So orderly, yet pretty. I wish I was a bee. I wish I was the queen of the bees!’

Reluctantly, she dragged herself away from the bee display and caught up with the rest of her campmates as the nature counselor began taking about natural camouflage.

PART TWO—10:00 PM, April 13, 2003

Maria Sanchez was stuck in a dream. At least, she knew she was asleep, and that what was happening to her couldn’t be real.

But she couldn’t get herself to wake up.

She was back at the coliseum, interviewing Deborah Franks. Asking her pointed questions. Pissing Franks off royally. Feeling the bite of the woman’s hand on her arm. Looking deep into her eyes. “Soon enough you will all know what it means to be a B-Grrrl.”

Stop.

Reverse tape.

Zoom.

Focus on the eyes.

Slow-mo.

“Ssssoooooonnnnn eeeeeennnuuuffff uuuuuuuuu wwwwwillllll aaaaaaaalllllll nnnnnnooooooo wwwwwaaaattttt itttttt mmmmmeeeeeeeennnnnssss tttooooo bbbbeeee aaaaaa Beeeeee-Guuuurrrrrrrrrrlllll...”

Freeze.

Zoom in.

Something about the eyes…

Rewind.

Frame-by-frame.

“…Bbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Gggggggggggguuuurrrrrr….”

There.

In one frame, for no more than one-tenth of a second…Deborah Franks eyes had changed.

From light blue to solid black.

But now she’d lost control of the playback unit, as it kept playing the same frames over and over in slow motion.

Blue-black-blue.

Blue-black-blue.

As the playback head scrubbed the recorded sound of Franks’ voice at super-slow speed, Maria’s cringed.

“zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….”

But it was when she felt the hand on her shoulder that she finally screamed.

While Mark Chambers rushed back to the station with the dramatic footage of Deborah Franks’ assault on Maria, Richard Terry sat by the reporter’s bedside at St. Francis of Assisi Hospital.

The doctors had said that Maria’s arm wasn’t broken, but it was a near thing. The bruise was severe enough that they had asked if she had been hit with some type of hard object, like a bat or a pole. When Richard told them she had been gripped around the wrist by a woman who couldn’t have been more than 5′3″ and 110 pounds, he had been looked at as if loony.

Of course, he had the whole thing on tape, if it came to that.

What had given the doctors pause was the fact that Maria remained unconscious. In the three-plus hours since they had left the coliseum grounds, his friend and co-worker had not stirred once, not even when the doctors were affixing a splint to her lower left arm. So, they had admitted her to the hospital, thinking that, if she remained unconscious through the night, they would have to order more tests to try to determine why she didn’t wake up.

As it was, Richard had nothing to do but watch and wait. He tried reading a magazine, but the February, 2001 edition of Ladies Home Journal was not one of his favorites. He tried flipping on the television, but turned it off when CNN’s Larry King started asking General Norman Schwarzkopf if it felt odd to be on the sidelines while war was being waged in Iraq.

So all that was left to do was try not to stare at Maria too much. He had been her cameraman for nearly a year now, capturing her image from behind an eyepiece, sharing a cup of coffee or a sandwich with her before some live shot for the 5 o’clock news, scolding her for indulging in a cigarette behind the truck when her nerves were really acting up. They were mates, as the English like to put it.

But every time his eyes stole back to her, her dark hair framing her light brown skin and full lips, it got harder to think about being just a friend.

Every time his eyes drifted down to where her breasts rose and fell rhythmically with her steady breathing, it got harder not to think about how much he wished he could crawl into bed beside her, to hold her close and protect her from being hurt anymore….

At which point he would tear his eyes away from her again and let them roam the ceiling, the walls, and every corner of the nondescript hospital room…until they finally wandered back to her again.

The pattern repeated six or seven times, until, running his eyes down her body once again, he saw her left hand clench into a fist.

Startled, he moved his eyes back to her face, which had suddenly become coated with a slight sheen of sweat. Her head began to move back and forth, at first slowly, then faster, starting to whip from side to side. Thinking she might be in distress, Richard stood up and reached for the call button above Maria’s bed.

His finger was on top of the button when Maria’s eyelids started to flutter. That was when he reached down and put his hand on her left shoulder, softly, saying “Mar?”

That was when Maria woke up, screaming.

It was only after the two on-duty nurses had checked and rechecked Maria’s vitals, fussing over making her as comfortable as possible; only after they had walked out the door, eyeing Richard suspiciously as they exited; only then did Maria say the only thing she could think of.

“Sorry.”

Richard, who had aged five years in that one moment of screaming, waved her apology away. He sat looking at the floor, like a schoolboy who’d been caught looking through a peephole into the girl’s locker room shower. The awkward silence between them stretched, until Maria asked “What time is it?”

“Almost 10.”

“We should turn on the news. Maybe Mark will have put together something from the footage.”

Richard took the remote from the nightstand and turned on the wall-mounted TV, flipping to channel 8. As it came on, the credits were rolling from some forgettable movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then, the credits shrunk into a small box on one side of the TV, as NewsChannel Eight anchor Harlan Connors began to read the headlines topping the night’s news.

“Tragedy strikes one of our own, as a NewsChannel Eight producer is killed in a bizarre fire.” B-roll footage of a burned vehicle continued over Harlan’s voice. “Police are still investigating what caused the explosion which burned this television remote unit, and lead to the death of NewsChannel Eight’s Mark Chambers. We’ll have more on that story, plus sports and weather, coming up in just a moment.”

As the station’s news theme played under the “10 O’clock News” logo, Maria took Richard’s hand in her own.

His hand was trembling from grief and shock. Hers was trembling from grief…and fear.

END PART TWO

INTERLUDE – September 9, 1965 – USDA Bee Lab, Beltsville, Maryland

“Welcome to the wonderful world of bee research, Helena!” Dr. Paul Sawyers, who for the last two years had been Helena Carteris’ mentor in the bee research program at Penn State, opened the passenger door and helped Helena out of the car.

The girl who had wished that she could be a bee eight years earlier was now 22, and a freshly minted college graduate. Having interned with the USDA at their facilities in Louisiana and Texas over the past two summers, and with highest recommendations for her work in hand, she had been offered an open post at the Beltsville bee lab before it had even been advertised.

Of course, it didn’t hurt that Paul Sawyers had accepted another open position at the Beltsville lab – director of research. Helena had grown very close to her mentor over the past two years, and even though he was 10 years her senior, she could sense that he was starting to return some of her own amorous feelings. A touch here, a lingering glance there – Helena wondered if there would ever come a time when they could share a candlelight dinner, holding hands across the table…

“Here’s your office, Helena.” Somehow, Dr. Sawyers had managed to guide her through the front door and down hall of the main research building while she was woolgathering. Her “office” was a small room with a desk, cabinets for samples and supplies, and a small table with a microscope and various types of examination instruments. “Just check with Mary at the main desk if you need anything – notebooks, chemicals, or any other type of research materials. I’ll be by in a little while to take you on a tour of the main labs and the research farm, and to introduce you to the rest of the staff here.” He turned as if to leave, but Helena stopped him by placing her hand on his arm.

“Doctor…I mean, Paul,” she said, remembering how he had said to use his first name now that they were colleagues. “You’ve told me a little about what you hope to accomplish by taking this post. But what exactly are we going to be working on here?”

He smiled at her, and took her hand in his and gave it a squeeze. “The idea is simple, Helena. Up to now, our focus has been the study of bees for their use in pollinating flowers and crops, as well as production of honey. But, think about this…bees touch so much of what is grown on the American farm. What if we could create a chemical that was naturally occurring in bees…that was also a natural pest control for the plants they pollinate? It could take the place of pesticides, eliminate the need for crop dusting…and in places where those things don’t exist anyway, it could help prevent famine by protecting already fragile crops from being ravaged by natural enemies.

“Read this.” He handed her a thick blue binder. “This is the premise I presented to the Ag Department heads in Washington three months ago. It details how we’re going to isolate certain behaviors, and introduce others, until we produce a bee that not only helps plants reproduce…but protects them from other pests at the same time.” Paul Sawyers smiled broadly at Helena.

“We’re going to tinker with bee biology, my dear. We’re going to build a better bee!”

And with that, he walked out, leaving her alone to read.

PART THREE – 10:15 PM, April 13, 2003

Richard and Maria had watched the report on Mark Chamber’s death without speaking, holding hands tightly When the anchors had finished with the traditional “police are still investigating the cause of the crash, and expect to have more information shortly,” Richard shut off the TV. The quiet was so heavy it threatened to smother them both.

Maria kept thinking of what the one witness to the crash had said on camera. “The truck was just sittin’ there at the light, when this big black car came out of nowhere! It must’ve been doing 80 when it slammed right into the back of the TV truck! Then the car and the truck both exploded! It was awful!” The same thought kept repeating in her mind:

Black car. Black eyes.

Black car. Black eyes.

Maria’s boss often told her that there was no such thing as coincidences. When she had found out that Deborah Franks was likely covering up something in her past, and linked it to the strange behavior going on behind the scenes with the B-Grrrls, Maria had just assumed that it was another Hollywood behavioral aberration…although one that might land her a higher profile locally, or even catapult her onto the national stage.

But now, Mark was dead. Presumably, the B-Grrrls storyline was now lost in the flurry of activity that always surrounded the tragic death of another newsroom colleague.

Which would be exactly what Deborah Franks wanted, wouldn’t it?

“Richard, where’s your camera?”

“It’s right here, Mar.” He picked up the Sony DV camera from its resting place on the floor.

“Is the tape from the coliseum still in there?”

“No. Mark had it in the truck with him. He was taking it back to the station to edit.”

“All of it? Even the footage of my arm, and falling down?”

“It was all on the same tape, Mar. All of it.”

Coincidence or not, the evidence of any assault committed by Deborah Franks was now ashes…as was one of the witnesses to it.

‘One down, two to go,’ thought Maria, so lost in thought that she didn’t realize she had said the words out loud. Richard stared at her, wondering what she was thinking.

Which is why they both jumped when the silence was broken by a loud knock on the door.

END PART THREE

INTERLUDE – October 22, 1967 – Excerpt from the journal of Helena Carteris

I am growing increasingly nervous about the direction of Paul’s research.

It certainly sounded promising two years ago, when we began the first of our breeding experiments on the test hive. Using Paul’s theory that we could simply dust the bees with chemicals and then let them fly, the first generation of ‘pest-killing bees’ seemed fairly successful. The test farm outside the laboratory was left untreated, in order to test the success of the bees as a form of pest control. That first year saw no significant increase in pest over the year previous, and a fine harvest. So far, so good.

However, I began noticing that the breeding patterns of the bees in our test hive were starting to seem off-kilter. Normally, the queen would produce an amount of drone-controlling pheromones that would counteract the birth of new queens, and regulate the necessary fraction of workers and drones. However, the winter after being coated with Paul’s chemical mixture, the hive produced several queens, and, strangely, more drones than workers.

It was Paul’s idea to separate these new queens from the old hive and let them start a new test hive in isolation, to better see what sort of changes might be taking place because of the introduction of the chemical into their eco-system. Surprisingly, instead of fighting for dominance of the hive, the new queens seemed relatively docile, and worked together as breeders. This was disastrous to the test hive, as the queens produced almost no workers; instead, their pheromones seemed to trigger an endless reproductive cycle in the drones, producing more drones…until the hive starved to death because there were no bees working to provide for the hive’s welfare.

However, the first test hive was still producing new queens and drones at an alarming rate, so Paul decided to establish several hives with these altered bees, and then apply his chemical mixture to those hives. The results were…is horrific the right word?

The second generation of bees from these new test hives were monstrous genetic anomalies. Each bee produced seemed to have different genetic mixture of drone-worker-queen, and each one was so confused as to its role in the hive that the only thing they seemed sure of doing was attacking each other. Very few bees survived that first devastating gestation.

Those that did survive did so because they apparently had equal parts drone and worker, and successfully integrated those parts into a functional paradigm. The queen in each hive was serviced successfully by those drone/worker hybrids, producing a healthier, stronger hybrid in the next generation. However, the mutation of these bees has completely altered the role of the drone in the hive.

In a regular honeybee hive, the drone mounts the queen during flight. After ejaculating its sperm into the queen’s oviducts, the drone falls backward, pulling its reproductive organ from its body. Much like the loss of a stinger in a worker bee, the drone dies from having its abdomen burst. However, in these altered bees, everything changes.

The genetic flux produced by the chemical Paul has used has created a bee that starts life as a drone, but after servicing the queen once, does not die. Instead, when the drone loses its reproductive organ, the hole left is not a mortal wound, and heals over in a few hours. The wounded drone will return to the hive, where it will feed non-stop. As soon as 24 hours after that, a stinger will grow in to replace what was lost in mating with the queen. Moreover, once this stinger forms, the behavioral pattern of the bee mutates. The now neutered drone becomes a worker, dedicated to the life of making honey and wax for the hive and protecting it against invaders. I have to say, this development excited me, because the singularity of a drone’s life, though orderly for the hive, has always seemed utterly wasteful to me. Now, every non-queen bee born inside the hive has an opportunity to contribute, as opposed to some being limited to a life of “one thrust and then dust.”

Though we have gone far afield from Paul’s initial hypothesis, I think we have indeed fulfilled the spirit of his quest to build a better bee.

I just wish Paul would relax and enjoy the fruits of his unexpected success. Creating a “better” bee, or even a pest-killing bee, no longer seems to be what he’s focused on. Each day he walks through the lab, muttering, ignoring me, looking at the latest data, then putting on his protective gear and spending most of the day in Isolation Lab 1.

What is going on in his mind?

PART FOUR – 10:25 PM, April 13, 2003

“Detective Graves, NYPD. May I come in?”

Still trying to recover from the shock they had shared at the loud knock on the hospital room door, Richard simply looked at Maria as they both took a deep breath and squeezed each other’s hands. Then, when Maria nodded that she was ready, Richard moved to the door and opened it.

The man that walked into the room seemed more likely to be playing forward for the Knicks than to be a detective. 6′ 8″ at least, he had to duck his head to walk through the doorway, and it was obvious to Maria that, even though his suit looked like any other nondescript off-the-rack choice, he likely had to have several sets of alterations done to make it look perfectly normal on his very long frame.

His eyes took in the hospital room and its two occupants quickly. “Miss Sanchez, Mr. Terry,” he said without preamble, “I’m here to ask you a few questions about the death of Mark Chambers.”

Maria felt Richard’s hand tighten around hers in warning, but she already had a bad feeling about the man in front of her. Had the detective been there to talk about what had happened to her at the coliseum, she might have felt less paranoid. But to be asking questions so quickly about Mark’s death? She’d been around reporting long enough to know that, unless it was a high-profile murder case, there was rarely any urgency to question friends and colleagues in what seemed to be a simple traffic fatality.

Maria responded “Can I see some identification please?”

With an annoyed look, the detective took his ID holder from his pocket, and handed it to Richard, who took a quick look and then passed it on to Maria.

Detective Robert Graves, NYPD, the ID said. The number on his detective shield matched the one printed on his ID. She studied it for a moment before she suddenly looked up at the man.

“Why?” Maria asked, startling both Richard and, to a lesser extent, Detective Graves.

“Excuse me?”

“Why are you here to ask us questions about the death of our friend?” A hard edge crept into Maria’s voice. “Earlier tonight I was assaulted by a woman at Nassau Coliseum. I was hurt, and didn’t regain consciousness until a little while ago. Both Richard and I just learned a few moments ago that one of our best friends was killed on his way back to the station in what seems like a senseless accident. And now, here you are, in my hospital room, saying you have questions about it.”

Unaware she was doing it, Maria had been pushing herself into an upright position with her good arm as she talked, until she was leaning forward slightly in the bed. Her eyes never left those of the police officer, and her voice rose slightly as she asked “So? Why?”

Despite his dispassionate expression, Detective Graves was more than slightly impressed. He knew about the assault on Miss Sanchez from questioning the on-duty nurse, knew she had been unconscious for several hours, and knew that Richard Terry had been with her the entire time. Yet, given the shocks of the past few hours, she still retained enough of her reporter’s instinct to know that something just wasn’t right with his appearance here so soon after Mark Chamber’s death. So, instead of stonewalling, he decided to tell her the truth.

“Because I don’t believe your friend was killed accidentally. And I think that the assault on you and his death were connected.”

Hearing someone say out loud the conclusion she had already reached, Maria let herself relax just a bit, reclining again into the bed. “Why?”

The detective remained silent for a moment. “Miss Sanchez, anything that I tell you must remain off-the-record and in strictest confidence. Is that understood?”

“Detective,” she said, holding up her left arm, “I really could care less about a story right now. Someone hurt me. Someone killed my friend. What I want is the blood who did it. Or, failing that, a very long jail term in a very ugly prison.”

“Does the name Dorothy Fields mean anything to you?”

Maria considered him carefully. “Dorothy Fields was the alleged insider who told Entertainment Weekly about Deborah Franks’ near maniacal control over the selection and, later, the activities of the B-Grrrls. But, despite my best efforts to contact her to corroborate my story, I could never find her.”

“Dorothy Fields is dead. She died eight weeks ago of unknown causes in a hotel room in Manhattan.”

“Unknown causes?”

For the first time, the detective averted his eyes. “I would say that ‘mysterious causes’ would be a better phrase, Miss Sanchez. I was part of the team that collected the forensic evidence at the scene. I saw her body.

“Her skin was puckered and brown, like something that’s been left out in the sun too long. Her entire body was shriveled, shrunken in on itself, like she hadn’t eaten in weeks.

“And her eyes…” he paused, taking a deep breath.

“Her eyes were coal black, without a hint of pupil or iris remaining.”

END PART FOUR

INTERLUDE – December 6, 1967 – Excerpt from the journal of Helena Carteris

My worst fears have been confirmed. Paul Sawyers has been experimenting on these mutated bees to an extent that even I did not comprehend until now.

Today, while working in the isolation room with our third generation of altered bees, I noticed Paul removing some of the altered bees. Curious, I followed him out of Isolation 1 and into Iso 2.

Paul has set up another hive there.

I waited until he left, then went into the room to see what he was doing. Inside the new hive were some regular honeybees from our normal stock. He apparently introduced the altered bees into this hive. As I watched, the mutated bees continued what they had apparently been doing since before I arrived – stinging the worker bees throughout the hive. The results were catastrophic.

Within moments, the worker bees that were stung were lying immobile. Moments after that, the bees seemed to shrivel, as if they were shrinking under intense heat. Soon after, there was nothing left but a desiccated husk.

I decided that I had to know more, so I reached carefully into the hive and removed one of the altered bees and one of the dead workers to take back to my office to study. Placing them in sampling containers, I left the Iso lab, slipping the sample jars into the pocket of my protective bee suit.

Just as I reached the door to Iso 1, Paul came around the corner of the hallway, whistling a happy tune. He asked me how our hives in Iso 1 were doing, and I told him things were very stable, no new developments.

He smiled and said that we should have some new developments shortly. Then he patted me on the arm and walked down the hall. Into Iso 2.

I wish I knew what he meant by that.

PART FIVE – 10:35 PM, April 13, 2003

Though her face didn’t change when Detective Graves told her about the eyes of the dead woman, Richard could tell that something about news had an impact on Maria.

She squeezed his hand so tight he nearly winced.

It was fascinating to watch the unspoken interplay between his friend and the detective. It was obvious that they were both driven professionals, used to getting their own way, or at least finding some way past the obstacles to get to the truth. It was also obvious that, in the first few minutes, the detective had set aside his natural distrust for the press and had opened up to Maria, giving her details about the Dorothy Fields case that he had not shared with anyone else. Richard couldn’t help but think that, had the circumstances been different, Maria and the detective might be attracted to each other on a much more basic level. Having seen the men Maria went out with, he was sure that Detective Robert Graves definitely fit her criteria of “tall, dark, and handsome…with a twist.”

Graves began to speak again. “All the usual analysis was done at the path lab, and it was determined that Dorothy Fields died as a result of a massive dose of a toxic chemical injected directly into her body. The lab boys couldn’t identify the chemical, so they sent around its chemical profile on the various law enforcement nets to see if anyone else could identify it.

“The FBI sent us a message about two weeks ago, saying that the chemical compound that compared most favorably to what was found in Dorothy Fields was…” again the detective paused ”…bee venom.

“I didn’t know anything about bees before this case began, but now I’ve become something of a fly-by expert. A bee’s stinger injects a fairly small amount of venom into a victim. The effects are three-fold: paralysis of the nervous system, followed by an increase in the permeability of capillary walls, which leads to hemorrhaging, followed by destruction of red blood cells. In a normal person, this is an irritant that affects a relatively minor amount of skin tissue where the stinger is lodged. In a small percentage of the population allergic to bee venom, it can lead to coma and death.

“But there are several anomalies that have become apparent in the analysis of the body of Dorothy Fields.

“First and foremost, the amount of bee venom in her body would be the equivalent of at least 100 bee stings. Yet, we can find no evidence that she was stung anywhere on her body.

“Second, while a massive dose of bee venom could produce paralysis, hemorrhage, and even severe depletion of red blood cells in the body, there’s never been a case of bee sting death before in which a body has been so…altered. There is evidence that, before death, her metabolism sped to nearly hundred times its normal level. More than that, analysis of certain parts of her body, especially her eyes, show that her cells were actually mutating at the time of death. Something in the chemical that killed her was also changing her…except her body couldn’t meet the demands of the mutation. One of our forensic guys thinks that energy demand required to mutate her cells literally sucked the life out her, resulting in the withered, wrinkled husk that we found in that hotel room.”

The detective leaned wearily against the wall of the hospital room, running his hand down his face as if to wipe something away. “I’m sorry. It all sounds like some sort of movie plot doesn’t it? And yet, now I’ve got two dead bodies, a forensic report that defies conventional logic, and a series of strange associations and parallels, all of which coincide with one person—Deborah Franks.

“A person who, as you have already pointed out Miss Sanchez, doesn’t seem to exist.”

END OF PART FIVE

INTERLUDE – December 8, 1968 – Excerpt from the journal of Helena Carteris

Unstable. That’s the only word I can think of that describes the whole of what this experiment has become, including the mindset of the man who is leading it.

Yesterday, I ran tests on the bees I took from Isolation Lab 2. The results completely stunned me. The living bee injected a normal worker bee with his stinger (which did not tear away, as in a normal honeybee). The normal honeybee worker quickly died from the altered venom that was apparently injected. But the desiccation shown in the worker indicates that the bee’s metabolism sped up to an incredible rate – literally burning the bee up from the inside!

I milked the living bee for its venom, and ran a chemical analysis on the results. While the compounds break down to nearly the same as normal bee venom, there is a distinct concentration factor. When compared, the altered bee’s venom is nearly four times as strong when measured in the same amount as that from a normal bee.

More than that, there are chemical compounds in the bee venom that I cannot identify. Whatever has effected the mutation of the bees has also altered there internal chemistry, giving them a much more powerful weapon with which to defend…but then, they didn’t just defend themselves, did they? They actually attacked the other bees, stinging them quickly to death after being introduced into the hive.

Does that mean that these bees are more naturally aggressive? My observations of the altered hive in Iso 1 don’t bear that out. They act like normal bees, as far as we can tell.

Speculation? The mutated bees, introduced into a hive of non-altered insects, attacked the other bees because…they couldn’t let any non-altered bees survive? Evolution acted out in its most savage form?

I suppose this would worry me, if I thought that one hive of mutated bees could mix with the general population and kill other honeybees on some massive scale. What worries me is that Paul has now removed the altered third-generation queen from the hive in Iso 1. I can only assume that he plans to place or has already placed her in the hive with remaining normal honeybees. To what purpose, I don’t know.

But I WILL find out later today.

PART SIX – 10:47 PM, April 13, 2003

Neither Richard nor Maria said anything for a few minutes, each digesting what had been said, and turning it over and around in their minds.

While Richard was contemplating, Maria said out loud the one thought uppermost in his mind. “So where does that leave us?”

Detective Graves looked at the two of them, frowning. “You’re both in danger, of course. There are only two things that I can see happening, if Deborah Franks is behind any of this. One, she tries to discredit you, so that anything you do say is laughed away by anyone who matters. Or, two…she makes an attempt to have you killed.”

“As you think she did with Mark?”

“Yes. It was a calculated move to both get rid of evidence, and remove a witness. And it sends a message. To both of you.”

It was Richard that spoke this time. “What, don’t fuck with me or I’ll kill you?”

Looking him directly in the eye, Graves said, “Exactly.”

“What about the driver of the car that rammed our news truck?” Maria asked. “Did he live?”

“No. And there is no indication that he made any effort to remove himself from the car either before or after it collided with the truck.”

“Was there any identification? Anything to tie the driver to Deborah Franks?”

“Again, no. The body was burnt beyond recognition, and any ID went up in the explosion.”

Maria’s face was the picture of frustration. “So basically, we have nothing but rumor and speculation, and not one shred of evidence to tie any one of these suppositions together.”

“Hold on, Mar,” Richard interrupted. “We still have the tape of the live broadcast showing Deborah Franks hurting you. We have the hospital records that show that you were injured. And we have Detective Graves here, who provides us with information that we didn’t have before.”

Maria looked up at him dourly. “What we have is zero, Richard. Franks can claim she never assaulted me, and all the tape will show is her gripping my arm; I didn’t let the pain get in the way of closing out the interview, and any proof we had that she hurt my arm burned up in the explosion. She’ll just say I’m trying to pin some phony charge on her to try to help boost my career.

“As for Detective Graves over here…everything he’s said tonight is off-the-record, as far as I’m concerned, and if we even tried to use it to expose Deborah Franks…well, we’d get our asses laughed out of any newsroom, other than maybe some tabloid paper that also runs stories about the Bat Boy.

“We don’t have anything real to go on, Richard. Not if we want to continue working in television.”

Maria turned her attention back to the detective. “Thank you for telling us all of this, but…what can we do? What should we do?”

“Leave town,” Graves said quickly. “Tonight, if possible. Find someplace to stay where you can’t be traced, then contact me.” He reached into his wallet and pulled out a business card. “The longer you stay in one place, the better chance Franks has of getting to you, if she has any intention of doing so. I’d ask for some type of protection for you, but there’s little chance that it would be approved, considering that there’s no evidence to show that you’re in danger.”

Richard snatched the card from the detective’s hand before he could give it to Maria. “That’s it then? Just run away, feeling all the time like clay pigeons on a firing range?”

The detective shrugged. “Mr. Terry, my first priority is to take you out of the line of fire. Until I can build some type of concrete case against Deborah Franks, no one will believe that you are in danger. So yes, to answer your question…run away as far and as fast as you can, and find some cover for yourselves.

“Hopefully, sometime very soon, we’ll find something that ties all the pieces together, and gets Deborah Franks put away and out of your lives.”

Richard laughed bitterly. “Right. And the Nets will win the NBA Championship this year…”

Maria touched him on the arm, and Richard choked back whatever he was going to add to look down at her. She shook her head, and he closed his mouth and looked down at the floor.

Maria looked back at the tall man at the foot of her bed, and asked softly “Anything else?”

Detective Graves took a moment to mentally run through all the things he had already told them…and the things he had left out. Then he reached into the pocket of his suit jacket, holding it out to her in between his cupped fingers.

“Do you recognize this?”

Maria leaned forward and took what looked to be a pin of some type from the detective. “No, not really, other than being a bee in some type of clear plastic.”

“They were selling these at the concert earlier tonight. It’s a rather cheap souvenir plastic pin, very popular with the youngsters.

“Oddly enough, we found something exactly like it in the hotel room where Dorothy Fields died. But that pin looked as if the plastic had been melted somehow. And there was no bee inside.”

“It doesn’t mean anything to me,” Maria said, shaking her head and moving to hand the pin back to the detective.

“Keep it. I have others. Perhaps you can find some significance to it that I haven’t.” Detective Graves moved toward the door of the room, then turned back to face both Richard and Maria.

“I mean what I said. Get out of town…now, if you want. I’ll even walk you to the nearest cabstand. Just get away to a place where no one and nothing connected with Deborah Franks can get to you.”

Maria shook her head. “We’ll think about it, detective. But a friend of mine is dead, and I want answers. And running away has never been my strong suit.”

Graves nodded and, without further comment, walked out the door.

Neither reporter nor cameraman said anything for a moment. Instead, Richard eased himself back into his chair by Maria’s bed as she slowly rotated the plastic pin in her hands.

It was Richard that spoke first. “What ARE we going to do, Mar?”

She looked up from the pin and right into his eyes. “We are going to get out of this hospital and lose ourselves for a few days…without contacting Mr. NYPD. And, while we’re out of touch, I’m going to make a few phone calls to people I know. People good at turning over rocks and exposing the bugs beneath them.

“Or, in this case, the bees beneath them.”

END PART SIX

INTERLUDE – December 8, 1967, USDA Bee Lab, Beltsville, MD

Helena stood outside Isolation Lab 2, her hand on the doorknob.

She couldn’t seem to bring herself to turn it and go in.

For most of the past four days, she’d been filled with an unrelenting dread. ‘Something is going on…something strange and unprecedented,’ she thought. ‘But its more than that. Paul knows or thinks he knows something, and he’s trying to hide it. That’s why he’s warned the staff that the bees in this lab are under quarantine and shouldn’t be bothered without his supervision. He’s doing something with these altered bees. But what? And, more importantly…why?”

She knew that Paul was away for the day, taking meetings with his superiors in Washington regarding the success or failure of the pest-control experiment. Leaving out the mutations spawned by the process, the results were quite heartening. Adding them in…well, she knew that Paul wouldn’t do that, in order to make the two years of research look as good as possible so the experiment would be continued.

Meanwhile, inside Iso 2, she knew Paul had put a third-generation mutated queen inside a hive of normal bees. To what purpose, she didn’t know, but that’s why she was standing with her hand on the doorknob. Because she wanted to know. She needed to know.

She opened the door and went inside.

Donning her protective gear in the narrow entry area that bordered the actual laboratory, she wondered at the sheer ludicrousness of her position. To be suspicious of the man that had brought her into this program, who had relied on her for hard research…up until the moment a few months ago that he had gone silent and secretive, telling her he was separating a part of his research from hers. Calling it his own ‘blind study group.’ Then, taking bees from her altered hives and introducing them into regular hives, as he had done three days ago. Whatever his purpose, she didn’t like being kept outside the loop. ‘Maybe he’s trying to find some way to take all the credit, when the discovery of the mutations is announced,’ she thought. It wasn’t unprecedented, the older professor taking credit away from his younger research assistants.

But the thought of it, after two long years of research, was intolerable to her.

Which is why she slid aside the door of the inner “lock” of the isolation lab and stepped inside.

In most of the research labs, the bees would be flying around in a frenzy, necessitating a “smoke bath” in the airlock before re-entering the main building, to insure no stray bees were allowed inside. However, it was clear that the one hive located in the center of the floor was spawning no such activity. In fact, Helena thought it was strangely quiet inside the room, with no hum of wings or buzzing about that normally accompanied her visits.

Paul had apparently left in a hurry after his last visit, leaving the top of the hive leaning against the outer shell instead of replacing it. Thinking that it just made it easier to see inside, Helena walked over and peered down into…chaos.

Dead bees were everywhere in the hive, so many more than when she had visited two day’s earlier. Every worker seemed to have fallen victim to the unrelenting stingers of the mutated bees.

But she noticed that there was still life in the hive. In the midst of all the death, two queens circled. Helena immediately recognized one as the mutated queen of her third-generation hive, the one Paul had removed without asking. The other she could only assume was a normal honeybee queen, placed there for the purpose of experimentation by Paul.

Helena watched, fascinated by the intricate dances done by each queen as they each declared a case for hive dominance. She had seen this ritual done before by many a queen, who, faced with a rival, seemed to try warning the invader off before attacking. Only, it seemed that her mutated queen seemed less interested in the dance than the normal honeybee did. In fact, the invader had stopped dancing altogether, while the other queen continued the ritual…

“ZZZZzzzzzzt!” Just that quickly, the new queen attacked the other. Unprepared the normal honeybee barely had time to move before the mutated queen’s stinger was lodged in her torso, and venom was pumping into her. The victimized queen spun rapidly, like a bucking pony trying to dislodge a cowboy. Yet, within seconds, the queen was down, shaking weakly; victorious, the other queen removed herself from her rapidly weakening rival.

However, the new ruler of the hive was apparently not finished with the deposed queen bee. Using intricate movements, it communicated something to mutated workers already in place in the hive. They took the still trembling queen and pulled her over to an open cell in the honeycomb, pushing her inside. Then, they sealed the former queen inside with freshly made wax. All in all, the entire episode took less than five minutes.

‘Amazing,’ thought Helena. ‘Just like the other mutated bees, she attacked the other queen before she could defend herself. But I don’t understand why they sealed the old queen up in wax. Could it be some sort of new paradigm?’

As she watched, the mutated queen began luring drones toward her, an obvious attempt to initiate reproduction to repopulate the hive. Normal drones, the only unchanged bees left alive inside the hive, started making their way toward where the queen was waiting.

But, just as in her encounter with the normal queen, the mutated queen did not wait for the drones to reach her. She pounced quickly on the nearest, injecting him with venom from her stinger. Then another, and another. Within moments, all of the drones were lying prone, paralyzed and trembling. Moments afterward, they were scooped up by the mutated workers and sealed within their own wax-covered cells.

Helena was stunned. Only two days ago, this had been a thriving colony of normal honeybees. Now, a few mutated workers and one queen had savaged them all. And, for some unknown reason, they had sealed some of the normal bees in wax after being stung by the queen.

Standing over the hive, she shook her head inside its protective mask. ‘What exactly is happening here?’ she thought. ‘These new bees are obviously territorial and aggressive when it comes to interplay with other bees. But why kill all the workers? And what has the queen done to those other bees?’

She found herself reaching for the “smoker,” the portable device that sprayed smoke into the hive to allow researchers to remove portions of the honeycomb without being swarmed. Spraying the remaining bees with thick white smoke, she lifted the portion of the honeycomb containing the sealed-in bees and moved to a bench near the door. Once there, using a knife and a pair of tweezers, she scraped away the wax on one of the cells and removed a still trembling drone from inside. Gently placing him in a specimen dish, she returned the side of the hive, where the mutated bees were already stirring from the effects of the smoke. Deciding to be cautious, she smoked them again, and then replaced the comb inside the hive. Sealing the dish, she slid it inside her pocket and made her way into the airlock, smoking her protective suit to make sure she had no hidden passengers. Once outside, she stripped quickly and took her specimen back to her office.

She sat in her chair doing paperwork and writing in her journal until 10 PM, checking every few minutes for any sign of change in the still-quiescent bee. Only when she could no longer hold her eyes open did she lock the specimen jar in desk drawer and leave for the day.

She was so tired that she didn’t see the shadow standing in the doorway as she got into her car.

PART SEVEN – 2:00 AM, April 14, 2003

Once the hospital had quieted into its usual post-midnight stupor, it had been a small matter to sneak out the door of Maria’s hospital room and into one of the stairwells. Instead of using any of the main floor exits, they instead went down to the sub-basement parking garage, and then walked back up the ramp to street level.

They were an odd sight as they walked down the street away from the hospital, Richard with his camera held under his arm, Maria looking pale in a wrinkled skirt and blouse. But they both felt lucky when they spotted an all-night pancake house on the corner ahead of them…one with several police cars in the parking lot.

Using what spare change they had between them, Richard dialed the nearest cab company, who said the wait would be about 45 minutes. That, Maria decided, was enough time to duck inside and have quick bite to eat and finalize their plans.

Richard had always marveled at Maria’s capacity to eat almost anything and not put on a single pound. And tonight, while he couldn’t stomach anything beyond a cup of a coffee and two slices of toast, Maria ordered the lumberjack breakfast – eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, hash browns, pancakes, and toast.

He couldn’t help but ask her “How can you eat at a time like this?”

“We don’t know when we’ll be eating again, do we?” Maria couldn’t help smiling. “Besides, I find that having someone trying to kill me has sharpened my appetite considerably.”

As Richard kept a watch on the comings and goings of the late night crowd, Maria once again removed from her pocket the bee pin that Detective Graves had given her. In her mind she replayed the information the detective had passed along, trying to tie together the random threads that somehow tied Dorothy Fields’ death to that of Mark Chambers.

‘It all comes back to the bees, doesn’t it?’ she thought, turning the pin over in her hand. ‘Bee venom, bee victim, bee pins, and B-Grrrls,’ she shook her head slowly. ‘But what does it all mean?’

She slid the bee pin back into her pocket as the waitress brought their order, and then grasped her hand lightly before she could leave their table.

“Excuse me, miss…could I have some honey for my toast?”

Despite the gravity of their predicament, Maria had to laugh as Richard sputtered into his coffee and barely managed to keep it from coming out his nose.

“We have them under observation, majesty. The girl has the object with her.”

“Continue to watch them,” Deborah Franks said into her cell phone, smiling. “Make sure we know where they wind up, as we’ll need to keep on eye on both of them until the process is finished.” She snapped the phone shut and tossed it to her nearest bodyguard, who placed it back in the holder on his belt.

Deborah padded naked through the bedroom of her hotel suite, moving to the French doors that lead to the elegant balcony. Throwing them open, she strode into the moonlight, feeling a powerful elemental pull to bask in the nighttime air.

The concert had gone well, she thought, her girls lip-synching perfectly and dancing their oh-so-carefully choreographed routines with precision and grace. Fans would gush enthusiastically about one particular dance number, she thought – the “flight” sequence in which each of the girls, fake wings flapping at their backs, rose over the audience to swoop and dip and then safely return to the stage. Standing in the shadows, looking out at the rapt faces of the teenage girls in the audience, Deborah could almost hear their thoughts.

‘I wish I could be a B-Grrrl,’ she knew they were thinking.

‘And,’ she thought to herself, a feral grin on her face, ‘perhaps they will, soon enough.’

Turning, she swept back through the doors, laughing out loud at the power she felt. She launched her body at the bed, landing beside the trembling body that, just hours ago, she had picked up in a downtown nightclub. It was the same game every time, she thought; drawn to her as if pulled on invisible leashes, the men would find excuses to brush by her at the bar, to ask if they could buy her a drink. With no thought to their dates or mates, they would cluster around her like little boys, each one hoping that he would receive her attention. And she would play them, tease them, and sometimes even ask them for outrageous favors, just to see how far they would go to spend the night with her. And the men never hesitated; having been drawn into her orbit, they pledged anything and everything, if she would only be theirs for the night.

Of course, she would eventually settle on one, usually someone brawny and masculine, as befit her needs and circumstances. On this night, it was a former Mr. Olympia, who had come to the club on the arm of a minor starlet. Like the others, he had smelled her first, her scent making him crane his head to search the club, without knowing what he searched for. Then, seeing Deborah at the bar, he left his publicity-seeking nymphet at the table, to join the others clustered around her. Having tired of toying with the hopeless, hormonally-addled drones she had already rejected, she stood up and walked over to him, placing her hands firmly on his Armani-clad chest. As he bent his head toward her, she whispered softly in his ear, “Hi, handsome. Wanna come home with me tonight?” He could not reply, his brain turning to pudding once her scent assailed him from inches away. Smiling, she took his hand and led him out of the club and into her waiting limousine.

Now, as she stroked his arm, she thought to herself that, in some other lifetime, she might even have thought him a decent lover. ’Not that he’ll have to worry about that ever again,’ she thought, laughing once again. She lowered her lips to his ear.

“Soon, my pet, very soon, it will be all over, and you will join my other pets in making sure I am well cared for. After all, isn’t that the function of my loyal worker caste?”

The trembling form on the bed said nothing, as it really couldn’t understand any of the words. But it did open its eyes to look up blindly at Deborah Franks.

With eyes that were solid black.

END PART SEVEN