The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

A Pleasure to Serve

Prologue: The Will

Valerie Harroway shifted impatiently on the emerald green couch, brushing a stray lock of mahogany hair behind her neck. “You did notify her of the time, correct?” she snapped at her sister, Theresa.

“Y-yes, I made sure of it,” the thin, quivering red-head peeped, shrinking back into her armchair. “I even wrote it down for her so she would remember.”

Valerie let out a dissatisfied sigh. She should have known. This had been her burden as the eldest sister since they were children. It didn’t matter that they were all marriageable women in the prime of their youth—it was still up to Valerie to act like the adult, to ensure that her siblings observed at least an ounce of the decorum befitting their station. But with Mother gone now, there was only so much Valerie could do.

And so here they were: Theresa shivering in her chair, clutching her Bible like a safety blanket, and Eva off doing God knows what in the woods surrounding their estate. Honestly, if the presence of all three sisters wasn’t required, Valerie would’ve ordered Mr. Lilton to begin the will reading without the problematic sibling. It wasn’t like she really stood to gain much anyway.

Obviously, the majority of Mother’s fortune would be Valerie’s. She was the only real choice: not only had she been handling the family finances since Mother’s illness, but she was also the most beautiful and cunning of her sisters, and thus stood the best chance of securing a family legacy. Mother had never been fond of men or marriage (the fate of their father had made that clear), but she understood its utility. So she would also understand that Valerie was the only real option.

Everything would be fine. Valerie’s hard work would pay off soon. All she needed to do was relax, listen to the crackling fire in the hearth, and enjoy her…Valerie glanced down at the teacup resting on the end table.

“Poe would you—“ the rest of the request hadn’t even left her lips before the young, dark-eyed man was at her side, refilling her cup. “Thank you,” she dismissed him with a slight nod.

“Of course, my Lady,” he replied with a slight bow before stepping back into the flickering firelight.

Valerie took a sip of the tea, savoring its delicate flavors on her palate. At least the butler was still dependable. And, Valerie thought as she covertly watched him return to attention, he would soon be hers to command. What a delightful thought that was. He was a strange man, to be sure, a commoner Mother had acquired during a trip through the Massachusetts countryside. Yet despite starting as a rough-hewn gardener in his teenage years, Poe had managed to quickly refine his manners and skills, to the point of becoming Mother’s personal—and favorite—servant. Such diligence was attractive in a subordinate and, coupled with his sharp jaw, jet-black hair, and playful smile…yes, Valerie was quite excited to have such a man at her beck and call.

Unfortunately, the approaching sound of heavy boots interrupted her fantasy, bringing her back into the present just as the parlor door swung open.

“Oh joy,” Valerie sighed, not even bothering to turn. “You’ve arrived.”

* * *

Eva snorted as she strode into the parlor, her sister’s withering sarcasm seeming more pathetic than cutting this evening. “Sorry I’m late,” the middle Harroway sister said, pulling off her gloves and tying back the strands of chestnut hair that had come loose. “My quarry was stubborn this evening.”

Valerie sneered. “If you weren’t so keen on dismembering them, I should think you share more kinship with your beasts than you do your sisters.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Eva replied, plopping on the couch and making sure the muddied hem of her hunting jacket swept near her sister’s skirt.

“Careful, you brute!” Valerie recoiled with a satisfying squeal.

Eva laughed. Honestly, it was too precious. For all of Valerie’s high-and-mighty mannerisms, she had the guts of a fledgling pheasant. She probably thought she was a shoe-in for Mother’s fortune, what with her fair skin, dainty figure and silver tongue. But Eva knew the truth. No man would want a snooty, statuesque woman for a wife, and no Mother would want a bookish, conniving daughter for an heir.

No, Eva was the clear choice. With her full, luscious breasts and shapely, fertile hips, she was the shoe-in to carry on the Harroway name. While Valerie was busy studying figures by candlelight, Eva was becoming a woman of the world, romping through the forests and the villages, hunting game by day and suitors by night. She had become strong. And quick. And she knew the lay of the land. These were the qualities Mother had cherished; these were the reasons Eva deserved the lion’s share.

“Um, so…” squeaked a timid voice from beside Eva, causing the huntress to start. Even with her sharp instincts, she had somehow missed Theresa huddled in her armchair. “It s-seems we’re all here,” the youngest Harroway continued. “Sh-should we begin the will reading now?”

“Obviously,” Valerie huffed. “Were it not for Eva’s tardiness, we should already be finished and about our business.”

“What’s the rush? Afraid Mom’ll come back to life?” Eva chuckled. “At least let me get some tea. Poe?”

“Of course, my Lady,” the handsome butler answered, gracefully producing a full cup for Eva’s enjoyment. She accepted with a playful wink. Now there was prey she couldn’t wait to sink her teeth into. And unlike some of her quarries, disposing of the remains would be simple.

Their lawyer cleared his throat, grasping the envelope on the table before him. “Very well,” he said. “With all the relevant parties assembled, we will proceed.”

A deathly silence fell over the parlor, so complete that the tearing of the envelope sounded like thunder. The lawyer unfolded the single-sheet will, appearing surprised by its brevity. Eva didn’t mind—simple was good. It would make her victory more complete.

“Erm,” the nebbish man stammered. “I-I shall begin at the top. ‘I, Constance Harroway, being of sound mind and body, do decree on September 21st, 1904, that, at the time of my death, I wish for all of my assets, holdings, and titles to be transferred immediately…to my most faithful servant, Nathanial Poe.”

In unison, two teacups shattered.