The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Lila Walters, a good witch, finds herself entangled in a fight for the minds and souls of those she loves the most.

A Sign of Evil

(By S.B.)

Part IX

Despite being retired from the unnerving bureaucracy of the Congregatio for quite some time now, Sarah still had connections and knew how to use them surreptitiously. Reaching out to them, she discovered that Alondra Cannelakis had long retired to a private island where she could no longer interfere with the matters of the Council... or so the rumors went. The only way to find out for sure was to travel the winds to get there and hope for the best. It didn’t hurt to be prepared for the worst-case scenario, though.

Before heading out, Sarah spent some time casting defensive incantations and strengthening her offensive capabilities. The techniques she used were a combination of old magic and new spells of her own design, some of which Lila had never seen before.

“I didn’t know you could do that,” she said, admiring her mother’s skillful use of the powers that had been given to her.

“Being retired doesn’t mean you stop practicing, dear. I kept some secrets to myself hoping I would never need to use them but now we don’t have a choice. Do you want to learn how it’s done?”

“Of course.”

“Follow my lead, then.”

Always a quick study, Lila opened her mind to the new crafts and allowed the flow of magic to talk to her. It was as beautiful as she expected it to be, imbuing her with a renewed sense of hope.

“Tell me when you’re ready to leave,” Sarah said.

“Let’s go.”

Sarah held her hand and the two women phased through reality one more time, crossing an entire ocean to find themselves on a piece of land shaped like a heart. The island itself was only partially natural, an irregular formation born out of an underwater volcano that had been reshaped by magic to better suit its owner’s needs. No alarms were triggered when they landed but they were there, invisible filaments of power waiting for the fools that dared to cross them.

“Are you okay?” Sarah asked.

“Yeah,” Lila replied even though she was about ready to puke. “Traveling like this never gets easier, does it?”

“Not to you, it seems. Try to pull yourself together. What we’re looking for is further inland.”

“Why didn’t you bring us any closer?”

“Not a safe move when you don’t know exactly what to expect. Stay still for now. I’m going to do a full scan of the perimeter.”

“Sure.”

Sarah closed her eyes and visualized every trap present in a two-mile radius. Some of them were simple energy nets, not that hard to avoid but extremely painful on contact. There were also imitations lurking around, embodied threads of magic disguised as plant and animal life. A few remained dormant, but the vast majority were active and securing their designated spots. Besides those, she spotted a handful of human guards equipped in anti-magic gear. Using mercenaries was uncommon but not unheard of and Alondra didn’t like to play by the rules.

“What did you see?” Lila asked.

“Trouble, but nothing we can’t handle. We’ll need to be careful and stay in the shadows but we can do this. Come on.”

Carefully, they negotiated a pathway. The outer section of the island was like a tropical forest but without the rain. The massive trees and the green foliage offered plenty of hiding spots from prying eyes. Sarah led the way, always keeping one eye on the dangers ahead and the other on her daughter’s mental state. Her strength was unmistakable and yet she was still worried. Once a mother, always a mother, and that would never change.

“Stop!”

The command came without warning, a single thought placed in Lila’s mind. They were not alone.”

“What’s wrong?” Lila asked telepathically.

Sarah pointed at the line of trees ahead. The main path led straight through them but two were mimics.

“Look at the leaves,” Sarah replied.

“I see...” Lila nodded. The discoloration was slight but perfectly visible to a trained eye for no replica, no matter how elaborate, was one hundred percent perfect.

“We need to go around,” Sarah declared.

They avoided the subtle trap and dug deeper into the forest. A few meters ahead, they found an opening in the magical network that almost felt like it had been purposely left there for them to find. Sarah noticed the weirdness and yet pushed through. If they were being expected, what was the point of dilly-dallying?

Beyond the verdant forest stood a silver-tiled pathway that led to an opulent mansion. Lila froze as they got near, flashbacks of the mental prison haunting her memories. They were so similar it couldn’t be a coincidence. Was this woman really the source of all her woes? Was her mother right?

There were no guards stationed anywhere near the house and no magical protections, either. A lonely sentry hovered over the golden roof but it wasn’t actively searching for intruders. An ominous quietness filled the air contrasting with the lively sounds coming from inside the house.

“Mom, I don’t like this. Something’s not right,” Lila said, using her regular voice instead of the mental one.

“I don’t like it either but we’ve already made it this far. What choice do we have but to go forward?”

“What do you think is happening in there?” Lila pointed at the mansion’s front door.

“A party. And a pretty noisy one, too.”

“So much for lying low coming here, huh?”

“I suppose. Let’s go but be ready to jump out of here if things get dicey.”

“I’m not leaving without you, you hear?”

“You will, if there’s no other choice. You’re the most important person here, not me. I’ll protect you in any way I can but if the situation gets out of hand, I need to know you’ll be okay. Promise me you’ll respect my wishes.”

“I can’t do that, Mom. Not in this situation. Either we do this together or we don’t do it at all.”

“Damn it, Lila! Not is not the time to be stubborn. You chose to join me against my better judgment but now you have to prioritize your safety above all else. That’s all I’m asking, nothing more. Please say you understand.”

“I understand,” Lila sighed, reluctantly.

“Good. Let’s go then.”

They quietly walked towards the front door and watched as it opened with no human intervention. There were hundreds of people inside, dancing to an imaginary band. Everyone was wearing colorful masks depicting various animal races, predators, and prey. There were dogs, cats, owls, leopards, peacocks, bears, snakes, and countless others, their sweaty bodies rubbing against one another in what appeared to be a prelude to a massive orgy. A musky scent filled the main hall, swirling in the air in the form of fleeting purple gas clouds. Even though they were the only people not wearing a disguise, none of the guests seemed to notice them or if they did, no one cared. One glance at them was enough for Sarah to conclude they were all humans who weren’t in full possession of her capabilities.

“What is going on here?” Lila asked.

“They’ve been drugged,” Sarah replied. “It’s safe for you to breathe, though. This concoction doesn’t affect our kind.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“I recognize it. It’s a simple variation of a formula the Council used to deploy to control sizeable crowds when a magical incident spiraled out of control.”

“Are these people...?”

“Safe? I would assume so until evidence to the contrary. The drug was designed to scramble their brains temporarily but with no side effects other than a headache or two. I doubt they’ll even remember what they’re doing here.”

“But why would anyone go to all the trouble of magically transporting hundreds of humans across the globe only to make them forget the following day? It seems like a waste of time.”

“Nothing is a waste of time when the only purpose is to have fun and only simple minds would entertain such a thought,” echoed a soothingly diabolical voice above their heads. “Welcome to my humble abode,” Alondra cooed, “though I don’t recall inviting you to the party.”

Lila followed the sound of the voice to a mezzanine on the northern side where a woman with a long flowing pink mane and gray eyes hid her visage behind an extravagant eagle mask. She was wearing a black Haute Couture dress with stylized wings and a pair of thigh-high boots covered in shiny rhinestones. Alondra Cannelakis’ flair for luxury and drama ran in the family for countless generations. For those who adored her, it was part of her charm. For everyone else, it was one of her most annoying traits. The witch had recently celebrated her three-hundredth birthday but still maintained the same frantic energy of a freshman college student who had the power to change reality at will.

“Hello, Alondra. Long time no see...” Sarah said, her voice carrying across the room like a thunderstorm waiting to happen.

“Hello, Sarah. How unpleasant it is to see you. Is that your daughter? Yes, of course it is. You’re so alike that there’s no room for doubt. Why are you here?”

“We need to talk. Preferably, somewhere private and not so messy.”

“Messy? This is no mess but a celebration of life and if talk is all you want, then why did you teleport unannounced and avoid all security measures to get here?”

“There was no time to go through the proper channels to request an audience and, besides, you wouldn’t have agreed to see me anyway.”

“Bullshit! You chose to be sneaky of your own volition. What’s so important to justify such subterfuge?” Alondra cracked her knuckles. “Tell me now or face my wrath.”

“Somewhere else, please. I can’t hear myself thinking in this room.”

“Come to me then.”

Alondra snapped her fingers and a small portal opened underneath Lila and Sarah’s feet. They fell through it and emerged on the top floor defying both logic and gravity. The witch closed the connection and led them to her private study where three glasses of bubbly champagne waited silently for their arrival. The old witch closed the door behind them and ditched the mask to reveal her impossibly beautiful visage and an alluring yet equally sinister grin.

“You are a long way from home, Sarah, so this better be good. What’s with all the incantations and protective charms? Are you afraid I’m going to hurt you?”

“One can’t be too careful when times are dire,” Sarah replied.

“Dire, huh? I kind of like the sound of that. Tell me more.”

“My daughter has been attacked by someone using forbidden magic and I have reasons to suspect you may have something to do with that.”

“Do you?” Alondra called the glass of champagne to her and the inanimate object gladly complied. “And what reasons are that? My family’s history? That’s quite the cynical reason for someone who always advocated for a more progressive Council, isn’t it?”

“Your views on the superiority of witches and warlocks haven’t been forgotten, Alondra.”

“I hope not because they’re true. Have a drink and let’s talk seriously then.”

“I don’t want a drink,” Sarah turned her right hand into a fist, and the glass meant for her disintegrated on the floor. “The Cannelakis were one of the first families to have used the sign of evil. You know more about this than anyone else I know, so tell me everything!”

“Not when you’re being so rude on my property. I could have disposed of you the moment you stepped foot on my island but I allowed you to arrive here unscathed so you could explain yourself. I’ve yet to be convinced that your visit has any merit, so you better convince me otherwise.”

“Mrs. Cannelakis, if I may...” Lila said.

“Don’t Mrs. me, girl. I’ve been single for six decades and I intend to stay that way until the day I die. If you have anything to say, say it!”

Lila took a step forward, her hands touching the ether in the atmosphere. There was an evil energy around them, remnants of her torturous experience latching on to every object in the office. The youngest of the witches channeled those fragments on her fingertips and said,

“You reek of her.”

“Excuse me?”

“The one who came after me. Her presence is all over this place, especially in this room. Her scent is in the air and in your clothes and this house... I can sense its heart beating with the same malevolence that tried to consume me. You’re not her but my mother is correct, isn’t she? You too serve the darkness we are trying to contain. Where is she? Where’s the bitch that stole my friend’s soul?”

Alondra drank her champagne and raised an evil eyebrow, feeding off Lila’s inner turmoil and anger.

“Is that why you’re here? Have you come looking for revenge against the one who wronged you? On which side are you on, dear? The Light or the Dark?”

“I’m on the side of magic that’s not used to enslave others against their will. I think we should drop the act now and get this over with. Where is she?”

“Are you sure you want the answer to that question, dear?”

“I want Penelope back no matter what.”

“Let’s test your resolve, then.”

Alondra clapped her hands and the music in the house faded into perfect silence, every piece of dark magic latent all around waking up at the same time. The fight was on.

((to be continued))