The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Cable Guy

Chapter 5 — Debt Takes a Holliday

The text seemed urgent enough for Thomas to excuse himself from class. Emergency meeting, meet in the lab in 10 minutes, Ivan’s message said, and Thomas turned white. Jennie started following him, worried about what had happened.

“I don’t know what this is- for all I know, it’s a prank. Stay behind,” he told her as she looked at him with panic on her face. The tight, nervous hug cemented this, and again he wondered if she knew more than she let on.

“What’s going on? Jennie’s scared to death! And I needed that lecture. I’m only pulling a C, and that’s with Jennie helping me with my homework,” Thomas said. Ivan’s expression didn’t change.

“Intruders in the student union,” he said grimly. “Looks like a Gepetto scam, so we won’t be able to find the source, but roll out.”

That meant nothing to Thomas, but Cassandra hissed, Daria swore, and even Doug looked appalled, so it had to be bad. “What’s a Gepetto scam?”

“So maybe you kill someone’s brain, and they’re fun for a while, but then you get bored. So you sell them on the black market. Or maybe you use them as a puppet to sell stuff. They pay them and make them look independent. Sure, you can’t see the strings, but a puppet’s a puppet,” Cassandra explained.

“What they earn is just company property,” Antoine added grimly. “They spend just enough to further the business and charm people into destructive behavior just for profit. Credit cards, quack pills, infomercial products, that shit.”

“We caught one using his used dolls to peddle drugs so he could get new toys. He looks so cute as my mindless drummer,” Cassandra added with a feral light in her eyes and a manic edge to her grin.

Thomas clutched his stomach. “Wait for me.”

“I got this. Dude, this is the stuff you should be worried about. We’re the good guys. We’ve been protecting the campus for years. Look, in college you do one of two things. You let other controllers run amok and be one of the predators. Or you fight back and you guard it with your life. Guess what we do here?” Doug explained, looking more serious than Thomas had ever seen him. If Doug was being serious, it had to be bad news, so Thomas followed along, not knowing what to expect.

When they got to the site, Antoine let out a frustrated groan. “Credit sharks. Trance-South. Why am I not surprised? They’ve been a false front for as long as I can remember,” he lamented.

“The punchline to that was that they were once a very legitimate bank- until they were wiped out by someone who became the most ethical controller in history,” Ivan added.

“You keep saying that, and they keep coming back,” Brenda said, rolling her eyes.

“That’s because the name was destroyed before you were old enough to remember. Controllers use it for a quick buck as if it’s a prize we won because someone used their powers to pull a bank heist, instead of recognizing it as collateral damage,” Ivan replied.

“At least they’re equal opportunity assholes,” Harriet said, eyeing the stunning girls in their silver and gold bikini tops alongside the boys in tight t-shirts. Both boys and girls wore skintight jeans that showcased the girls’ shapely legs and the hammers in the boys’ crotches. “I do hate when they just make women into sex objects.”

Daria reached for her pocket, but Doug held her back. “Gear later. Old-fashioned ass-kicking first. Hey, freshman, that TV of yours better not have gotten rusty since you’ve been in lovey-dovey land!”

“Of course not,” Thomas mumbled, trying to keep from throwing up. His stomach felt like it was doing backflips, but more at the empty eyes and robotic actions of the credit sharks- and at the dazed looks of some of the customers as they walked away with their cards.

“Yeah, they’re charmed,” Doug said with a grunt. “The dolls do just enough to make sure that they can’t say no. They’ll wake up in a while, but not before they’re completely loyal.”

“Should I shield you eyes from the girl with the big—”

“Why? She’s had her brains fucked out at least five times. Why waste my time on that trash? What, you thought I’d do anything female? Watch and learn, my friend,” Doug said, not taking his eye off the other members of the group as they approached the table.

“Oh, our credit is good. Real good. Better than you,” one of the girls said, shaking her cleavage in front of Antoine’s eyes in a back and forth pattern.

Antoine wasn’t fooled into following the bouncing boobies. “Sadly, you aren’t me, but you can think like me, just keep staring! Now back at your unit! Now back at me! Now you’re not thinking at all!” Antoine snapped as the woman’s head drooped and the rest of the group leaped the table.

“Fight time, let’s go!” Doug yelled. Thomas grabbed one of the girls and threw her over his shoulder before she could swing at Cassandra. Cassandra backed away and belted out the first thing that came into her head. Everything seemed to slow down until even Thomas’s knees buckled as the relaxing melody infected his brain.

Cassandra seemed to realize what she was doing and flushed slightly. “Sorry, it’s an instinct. Some girls shriek when they get scared. I just start singing and I can’t stop!” she said.

“It’s okay. You’re very strong, but I don’t think you even know your full strength,” Ivan said with a yawn.

“Did she just make me pass out?” Thomas asked as his brain rebooted.

“Damn close, and anyone else near her too. Good thing she was just singing a lullaby. Some people will scratch their heads st the weirdness, but it worked,” Antoine said.

“Wakey, wakey. Well, for you, Tommy-boy! It’s your time to shine, so you better rise to the occasion,” Cassandra said.

“Huh?” Thomas said.

“What do you think, we put them on the couch as the new cushions?” Daria asked with a roll of her eyes.

“Oh, right. But they’re already out. Why do we need to put them under?”

As Doug mumbled something about freshman stupidity, Ivan explained, “So we know where they came from and so they never come back!” That was good enough for Thomas, and he popped the sim card into the system and turned on the television. Sure enough, the men grew in the crotch and the women’s breasts heaved.

“Now, boys and girls, just stare at that mindless television. It’s just as mindless as you are, or maybe you’re as mindless as it is, but while you’re trying to think about that, you’re realizing that you can’t think about anything at all, and you realize that the television owns you now, that it’s making you so hot you can’t bear it, and you can’t move, not even to release the pressure, not until it explodes in your heads and shatters the chains around your mind, and then you can tell us what happened to you,” Antoine said, the words coming out with machine-gun speed and sniper-like accuracy.

“Rough,” Brenda said with a low whistle. “Not that they didn’t earn it here, but you see why no one wants to piss off Antoine.”

Thomas couldn’t believe his eyes. The credit sharks were going into a frenzy from the current overwhelming their brains, but it was hurting them, jamming them with unwanted arousal that was building up like a bomb until one of the girls screamed, “Oh God! My name’s Hanna, I answered a want ad! They put you through training, and it’s like you’re in a waking dream! You can’t do anything! They have a machine, and it’s all lights and sound, and you can’t escape! Oh, God, let me come! I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, it’s just credit cards! College students should build credit! It helps them later in life!”

“Get her back on the couch! Her programming is coming back!” Antoine ordered. Doug lifted her up and turned her head towards the screen.

“Who’s your boss?” Thomas asked her.

“Trans-South... need a Trans-South card...” Hanna droned.

“Come on, she’s totally fried! We already knew they took people off the streets! That’s enough. Work another one!” Cassandra said impatiently, stamping a foot in her high-heeled boot.

“No, wait! Why should we force anyone else through this? Doug, come on, you can’t resist a rack like that. Give the poor girl a little reward for how helpful she’s been,” Thomas said, watching Hanna’s eyes grow empty with the TV again.

“Why would I...” The light bulb went off over Doug’s head, and he went over to the couch and started to talk softly to the girl. “You’re safe now, just nice television and warm hands on your wanting body, so it’s safe for you to tell me who your master is.”

Hanna moaned at Doug’s touch. “Ohhhhh... my boyfriend went to jail, pimped my best friend because she threatened to out that my ring owns me, so I had to take the job to get the money to get him out, but they took my ring, so they owned me, and then there was the interview, and the video, and I became the property of Trans-South... property of Trans-South... property of Trans-South... unit 495884224 is the property of Trans-South Incorporated, Financial Marketing Division. If unit 495884224 is no longer operable, return to Trans-South Financial Marketing, 342 Nelson Mandela Freedom Highway, Lagos, Nigeria. Unit 495884224 is the property of Trans-South Incorporated, Financial Marketing Division—”

As the shell of a woman once named Hanna droned on, Brenda whispered, “Oh, God, no.”

Daria announced, “If anyone needs me, I’ll be plotting how to fucking murder these fucking assholes in their sleep.”

“Classic Gepetto. They want their toys sent to the garbage dump if they’re broken. Whatever this is, it’s deep. She was a human doll before they even got to her. She has no idea what she became. There’s nothing else we can do. Call Mindcrime, they’ll at least give them a warm bed,” Ivan said with a dejected look on his face.

“That’s the FBI. You did what you could. They’re made, not born. She was probably on her third owner, and there shouldn’t have been anything in there to tell us. I don’t even think she knows where she worked out of. The van was all they knew. See college campus, roll in, dress, set up, earn money, eat, move on, switch drivers when tired, nap when needed, look sexy, recite mantra, dress to dazzle. Your smart idea at least got us their headquarters. They’ll use it. It’s not much- a lot of this shit runs out of Nigeria anyway. Would have been nice to get their US office, but the guys from Mindcrime are pretty bright, they might get ‘em anyway. Look, freshman, she wasn’t human. Not anymore. I don’t want to go further, because I don’t want to barf, but she was a human machine, just like the rest of them. The fact that you got her to remember her name, and a couple of things about her life... man, you got one hell of a machine. Dangerous shit,” Doug said with an arm over Thomas’s shoulder.

“That’s why I keep it on low,” Thomas whispered.

“Shit, you’re good. We’ll talk later. Just try and not think about this before it makes you crazy.

“Keep them tuned in. It will give them something to do until the Mindcrime agents get here,” Ivan suggested.

“Are they going to be killed?” Thomas whispered to Cassandra.

“No, they’re going to be buried. Look at them, Thomas, they’re already dead. They’re probably not even American. To get them that fried they have to be global. This wasn’t our first time hosting Trance-South, but it’s the first time any of us saw how far they went,” Cassandra said sadly.

“Now you know why we protect the campus. They were selling, not buying. If they were looking for new toys, we wouldn’t waste time with this. We’d use guns. We’ve never had a student taken from campus. That’s Ivan’s job, and that’s why he gets paid more than Coach.”

Knowing the way things worked in the Midwest, Thomas was duly impressed. When he went to his room, he knew there was no way he was going to get to sleep. Staring at the ceiling, he wondered what other dangers were out there. At about three in the morning, there was a knock on the door, and when he opened it, two stone-faced FBI agents presented their identification to him. “You found a return device for eight people?” one asked.

“They just spewed serial numbers and said to ship them to Nigeria,” Thomas said, sounding even more confused than he felt.

“It would take quite a device to get them down to that level without them being mortally wounded. It prevents them from going back to their family when the body is identified. In this line of business, dead men do tell tales when they’re dead before their bodies stop moving. We’ll need to classify that weapon,” the other agent noted.

“Class three subliminal generator,” Ivan reported from the hallway. Despite the lateness of the hour, he looked like he was ready to give a lecture. “One of my other students was using a subliminal-laced DVD on top of the subliminals. My idea. It was a double dose. No weapon.”

“That makes sense. Spiral Eye is a good group. Kid, just don’t do that to anyone else. It’s dangerous. But I’m sure Professor Douglas here has told you that five hundred times already,” the first agent said with a hint of a smile.

“Seven hundred,” Thomas replied absently, wondering at Ivan’s lie.

Once the agents were gone, Ivan came into Thomas’s suite and closed the door behind him. “No one, and I mean no one, should know the truth about your device. I”m sure your father has told you that several times as well. You Farnsworths are smart folks, but I don’t think you understand how important it is that this is ever imitated or duplicated.

“Yes, sir,” Thomas said. Ivan left, and not for the first time, Thomas wondered what he had gotten himself into.

For a week, Thomas tried to forget, but his next date with Jennie brought him a jolt of reality. “Tom, don’t worry about it! I got this! You’re so good to me, I need to be good to you for once!” she said as she whipped out a silver Trans-South credit card.

Thomas spluttered and managed to get out- “What? Oh- but- careful with that! Trans-South is- I mean- I’ve heard some bad reviews- they have some nasty rates, lots of fine print—”

“But college students need to build credit! And I have the money, and I’ll make my payments. It’s the first time I’ve used it, and about the only time I plan to this month,” Jennie explained.

“I know, and I’m not saying you shouldn’t- it’s just- maybe you could get one through your bank? I’ve heard a lot of bad stuff about Trans-South, and those jerks on campus—” He stopped at the scowl on Jennie’s face.

“Look, I’ve been trying not to ask about it, but what were you doing brawling with those salesmen? I’ll bet it was the fault of those guys you dorm with. They’re such creeps! Just go to the regular dorms after this year! They’re a bad influence. I got mine already, now let me get this for you,” Jennie said, and it was so obvious that she was trying to keep her temper that Thomas felt a small flush of pride; he hadn’t realized she even had a temper.

“It’s- it was complicated, and it was stupid, and I’m sorry, and we’re all being punished- you saw that Antoine missed the spring game over that. I’m better than that. I’m... I’m considering transferring,” Thomas said, not knowing why it came out, but being glad that it had.

Jennie recoiled. “No! I didn’t mean that! I love you, and I know you love me too, but you’re above those frat boys!” she said, near tears.

“And you’re above the girlie girls! I’m not proud at what I did out there. The fighting, I mean.”

“I know you’re a vampire, and I think it’s so cute that you don’t do whatever it is you do to me, and that you haven’t touched a girl since we started dating, but did you... do... one of those strangers?”

“It’s complicated, but I never touched them, I just helped Doug-not like that! Damnit, I can’t do this. Look, they got arrested for fraud. That’s why we got into a fight. Cassandra got burned before, and you know her temper, and the next thing I know we’ve got them all in our dorm, but then the FBI showed up at three in the morning and carted them off, so that company’s got to be bad news, right? Someone said they were a Nigerian scam company. Seriously, though, if you want a credit card, get it through your own bank.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll pay this off, don’t worry about it. Why are you turning pale about this? It’s not a big deal. There’s more than one shady bank out there, you know. I can understand you losing your cool with Cassandra, ‘cause she’s kind of crazy, but you’re scaring me.”

“Yeah, it’s just- it was something that got out of control. I”m ashamed, but you can see why I might be conflicted- the stuff that the FBI guys said they were doing—”

“That’s why I need a good man to keep me out of trouble,” Jennie said with a loving smile. Thomas smiled back, because at least Jennie was trying to understand what he was going through, but his heart sank at her lack of ambition.