The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Cable Guy

Chapter 4 — Getting Serious

“I don’t know! Everyone thinks I’m such a girl that I’m surprised you’re still interested in me,” Jennie said with a giggle as they chatted in the back of the Italian restaurant.

“Depends. Do you still play with dolls?” Thomas asked, looking for the right comeback.

“Of course not, but I do like pink,” Jennie replied.

“Well, my bedroom is pink,” Thomas tried.

“Nice try. So are all the freshman dorms. A for effort. That wasn’t as bad as I expected from you. I mean, it’s better than the guys you hang out with. Why do you hang out with those losers, anyway? You seem so much better than they are, but you hang out with a bag and tag bunch?”

Thomas turned red. “Well, um, they kinda found me, and I couldn’t switch out, and if I end up in an off-campus apartment in my first year, that’s worth all the crude talk. Besides, it’s not all frat boys. I mean, there are girls there. I mean, not just those kinds of girls. The president of the Glee Club is a couple of doors over from me,” Thomas said, trying to make up something to say without giving anything away.

“I guess that’s a good point. You really get around, but why are you so different around me? I was expecting... I dunno, dirty come-ons and cheesy attempts to put me right on my back, not a nice dinner and you stuttering like you’ve never seen a girl before. I mean, that place is a vampire lair. That urban legend’s been around here since I was in middle school. My big brother used to tell me about it,” Jennie said.

“Nope, not a vampire,” Thomas said, dumping extra garlic on his pasta just to prove his point... and almost failing as he gagged at the bitterness of it.

Jennie giggled. “You’re so funny! I thought you were just another cheap pickup artist. But why do you insist on such skanks? I mean, I can tell you like me and everything, and I know you can totally do better than some of the girls I’ve heard about.” There was something startlingly dirty about her smile, and Thomas had to take a deep breath at the thought that he might have charmed her through pure natural means.

“Freshman indiscretion, I guess,” he mumbled, trying not to give away the 4077’s secret. Somehow, Thomas suspected that saying, “I needed to sleep with skanks just to get the numbers up so the rest of the group wouldn’t make fun of me for not using my abilities” would not make the rest of the date go well.

“Or maybe you just didn’t have a reason to step up before,” Jennie said, taking his hand and purring seductively.

“Well, yeah,” Thomas said, smiling nervously.

“So you flunked your final after all! Didn’t come back and I see the sim card sticking out of your wallet,” Doug said, sounding mostly disappointed, but just a little mocking of the freshman.

“Didn’t need the card! Don’t know what to do now, but I didn’t need it. The whole not getting in on the first date thing, you know,” Thomas said with a smile. “I’m glad it’s semester break, though. I need to talk to my dad about a couple of things.”

“Heartbreak, huh? She dumped you? I could have told you she was out of your class. Told you it was harder than it looked, cable guy.”

“Didn’t say she dumped me,” Thomas replied with a smirk, showing Doug the text message for next week’s date.

“Pfft, you’re such a softy. If that had been me on a date with Jennie Jacoby, she’d be buzzing off to the morning news when we woke up, then one more round before she headed out.”

“Yeah, she told me about some of the pickup lines she’s heard around here. Dirty dancing, emphasis on the dirty? Jeez, man. If you don’t have any lines, ask Antoine for help,” Thomas shot back. Doug made a face as if to grant the freshman the point, and headed back to his room.

“Dad, I think I understand what you mean now by women for love and girls for sex. I don’t know if she feels the same way, but I’m in a bit of a bind, at least for now,” Thomas explained to his dad while fixing his favorite old machine.

“Your mom told me about Jennie. She sounds like just the kind of young lady I was hoping you’d meet sometime in college. And I assume you’ve been getting around school to get enough girls to keep Spiral Eye from getting on your case. But the next semester...”

“Either I’m going to have to use it on her, or go back to the flavor of the hour club. But I think I might have to do something in between instead, because neither of those is going to build the relationship I want to have. But if I did that, I’d have to transfer to another school, and that wouldn’t solve the problem either, unless I somehow convinced her to transfer with me, and that’s just getting too complicated.”

“And the Field of Screams and Ivan are good people. They don’t seem like it, but they’re learning their crafts in good, safe ways. That’s why I was so glad you went to Iowa. They may not show it to avoid showing weakness, but everyone there had the same problem as you. Well, maybe not your friend Doug. He reminds me of this one guy Eric who was there when I was,” Bob explained.

“Yeah, he likes girls, the more the merrier. And it’s the 4077th now We’re a little subtle than you were back then,” Thomas said with a chuckle.

“Have you bedded your Jennie yet? Naturally, I mean?”

“Like I’d tell you! This isn’t the slut of the month club!” Thomas protested.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” As Thomas flushed red, Bob grinned. “Let it go for a while, figure out if she’s really what you want. If she is, then we’ll talk. It should take you the semester at least- if it doesn’t, you haven’t thought about it enough. As for the other girls, I think you can lay off for a while. Not everyone fills up their wall.”

“I hope you’re right. Doesn’t seem like the kind of place where you’d want to get on anyone’s bad side. Cassandra already tried to sing me to sleep twice,” Thomas said with a sheepish grin.

“Sirens are never worth it. They’re all more worried about their voice than anything else.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Someone got a real girlfriend!” Ivan announced a few weeks into the semester.

“If the lack of wall progress wasn’t our first hint, the Martha Stewart magazines would be,” Doug said with a smirk.

“Don’t worry, the TV’s ready if things don’t work out, but, well... I really like Jennie.”

“Yeah, an IE speller is right up your alley,” Daria sniped back.

“Yeah,” Thomas sighed.

“Let me guess. That’s your one issue with her. You do know that a simple attitude adjustment, if she really is as much into you as you are into her, is more than ethical,” Ivan noted.

“Oh, hell no! It’s not like she does dope, or smokes, or really drinks all that much! Are you crazy? I thought we were the ethical bunch!” Thomas protested.

“Well, what bothers you about her? Think about it,” Ivan said.

“She’s so smart! She shows it in the classroom- I think she’s running a three-seven or something like that, but when we talk about future she’s all secretary and housewife! She has no ambition! She’s so... pink... on the inside. Not like that, Doug.”

“Oh, one of those wastes of a brain. Well, if you give up on her, send her over to my lounge! I bet I can make her productive in oh-so-many ways,” Cassandra said with her nose high in the air.

“This is why I don’t like talking about this, Professor Douglas.”

“Thomas, I’ve told you to call me Ivan. And this is why I had you bring it up in open forum. This is the crux of controlling, and what separates pimps and strip club owners from productive men and women. Some have ambitions, some have desires, and the rest just try to rule the world. Of course you should talk it out first if you can. But otherwise... perhaps a couple of games on television would not go amiss.”

“I guess so,” Thomas mumbled. Things were getting more complicated than he ever imagined. He couldn’t knowingly brainwash an innocent person. It was beyond wrong, no matter what his advisor said. Maybe it was better to keep to one at a time, forever running around from bar to bar, but that was no kind of life. He could put up with Jennie’s lack of ambition for the time being; the rest of her was perfect, and she loved him as much as he loved her.

“I got one question. Why the Chargers? I mean, powder blue is a cute color and all, but why San Diego?” Jennie asked late one night as she snuggled in Thomas’s arms. He twitched awkwardly at this reminder of his recent past, but he had to let it go. It was part of who he was, after all.

“I always liked it as a city. It’s warm, it’s pretty, it’s near the water- what’s not to like? Jerseys are really comfortable to hang around in, and as you said, it’s a color a girl would wear- but what girl runs around in a football jersey?” he explained,

“That makes sense. Yeah, Jill likes to kiss and tell. It’s not like she remembered much. She gets around- I bet you aren’t the first vampire she’s run into. So I guess the true love keeping you from turning me thing is true,” Jennie purred. Thomas turned redder.

“Why would I do something as cheesy as those novels?” he asked, trying not to get into an inane conversation about another series he couldn’t bring himself to read. Jennie had her vices, and most of them involved stuff from the novel rack that practically stank of cheese. He could never understand it, and if he had the same ethical fiber as Ivan, he would tune it out of her brain in a second. Luckily for him, she didn’t seem to understand how he controlled his victims; part of him worried that she’d find his machine boring and get swept away by the charming vampire with the sparkling blue eyes. But as Jennie curled closer to him, he held her tight and let time go by as slowly as it could.

“Hey, Teddy! Mind if I ask you something?”

“If I did, I’d let you know. What’s up?” Teddy replied.

“Have you ever used your talents because someone wanted it?”

“I don’t wear my contacts when I’m out with a girl. They get in the way. When you’re born with it, you just figure the sleepy moans are part of the package. You asked the wrong guy, except that the other guy is Doug, and you know the answer to that one.”

“That’s just it. She knows the urban legends, and, um, I think she might be more into you.”

Teddy made a strangled noise of frustration. “Was it the fundie who mixed up Uncle Louis with Jesus, or that idiot in Utah who thinks we sparkle in the sun? I’d like to find the icer who dulled her will and let her write about it afterwards! Ugh, it gives us all bad names, and I swear to God if one more person calls me a vampire there will be blood-letting!” he yelled.

Thomas took a step back. “Um. Sorry? I... didn’t know it was such a big deal.”

“It’s what separates guys like me from a real asshole. I had to go to a convention of those guys once. They have no restraint. Most of ‘em have been abusing their power since they were little kids. You can tell, the way they let themselves go. They like to boast about how they stunned their parents to get whatever they wanted. The best of that bunch are spoiled and amoral- no, not immoral, I know the difference, and they don’t. I got lucky. I got my mother’s eyes, and that kept me from being a monster. Does that mean I have to be a saint? No, and I don’t plan to be.”

“Oh, Goddess, is he giving the Transylvanian nationalist speech again? Seriously, no one gives a shit,” Daria said as she walked through with a smile of conquest on her face.

“No, you can’t borrow eye of newt,” Teddy sniped back.

“Whatever. Tommy, don’t mind Teddy. He’s a good enough guy, just sensitive. I take it your Jennie’s been reading those novels, trying to figure out what you are without being destroyed. Happens. That’s why I don’t keep boyfriends around. Doesn’t make any sense, you know? We can get what we want, so we do, and we don’t keep them.”

“Thanks for the reassurance,” Thomas said as sarcastically as he could muster. “So that’s it. I’m doomed to be an evil mad scientist. Guess I don’t have to worry about finding a job.”

“Hell no!” Daria and Teddy chorused.

“You haven’t seen the worst of it,” Teddy continued. “You could turn Jennie into a total bimbo, and as long as it was just her, you’d barely scratch the surface of questionable behavior.”

“Why would I do that? I can’t stand her girlishness! It gets in the way! I wish she’d realize how good she could be instead of reading all these stereotypes and thinking that just because she was born with breasts and a vagina she has to be this... this brainless little housewife!” Thomas exploded.

“He’s exaggerating to make a point, which you missed. Noble idiot. Don’t know what you’re missing, but noble,” Daria teased. Her face serious, she went on, “You can fix that, and that would be a good thing. From what you’ve told us, she’s the brains of the team. Let her see it. It might take some tweaking of the message, but I’ve used my craft to make someone realize their potential. It feels pretty good.

“Yeah, make someone in your own image. Classy. Real classy. Maybe I’m just born to be a player,” Thomas sighed as he headed to his room.

“And you keep saying Jennie’s the one who lacks ambition!” Daria yelled after him.