The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Fukushū no tabi, Shōkan no tabi

by J. Darksong

* * *

Ch.2)

Oyabun glanced up at the approach of his immediate subordinate, frowning slightly as dropped to a knee before him, bowing in reverence. “Speak,” he barked, already anticipating the bad news. Despite his resources and finances, the prey he sought had proved incredibly intractable, and he was not optimistic about the report he was about to receive. When Noguchi raised his head, a telling smile on his face, it was all he could do to contain his own composure. Huh. Could it be? Did they actually manage to capture my prize after all?

“Oyabun-sama,” Noguchi said, barely repressing the urge to laugh, “they have her! The young Albinn girl, the daughter of Reiko-san—they have her! I just heard from our operatives in America, and they were successful! Further, they met resistance, and were able to critically wound Reiko-san herself! Not a killing blow, but one that will indeed leave her out of action, and unable to pursue!”

The dour old man finally relaxed, a small smile creasing his lips. “Is that so? Then it would seem congratulations are in order. Long have we sought our vengeance against she who dared to defy us! Taking her child and training her to serve as her replacement serves the double function of striking a blow against that accursed woman, as well as strengthening our position among the Yakuza.” He chuckled softly. “Wounding her thusly serves better than killing her outright in this case! Let her suffer from the indignity of being unable to protect her own daughter... and the knowledge that the young girl will now fulfill the role that she herself abandoned! When will they arrived?”

Noguchi’s smile faded. Oyabun’s sharp eyes caught the change, however. “Well, Oyabun-sama,” he began, sweating slightly, “there is a... slight problem. While the woman calling herself Veronica Albinn was disabled, her husband and several other empowered humans came to their aid. Our team was forced to flee and abandon the recovery route laid out for them.” He sighed softly, steadfastly avoiding his leader’s gaze. “They do have the girl... however, they are wary of trying to leave the country with her in tow as originally set. Toshi-san reported that Reiko-san was able to read at least part of the plan from their minds before she was struck down.”

Oyabun nodded, stroking his chin idly. That did present something of a problem. One did not simply board an airplane heading out of the country with an unconscious young girl in tow, not without answering a bunch of very uncomfortable questions. Under normal circumstances, certain ‘arrangements’ could be made with certain officials for a private chartered flight—which, point of fact, they’d set up specifically for this exact scenario. However, with Reiko having knowledge of their escape route, other contingencies would have to be made.

Normally, we could have simply contacted the local underworld boss and negotiated transport on their end, he lamented silently, but ever since Serpentina went to war with Blackfinger, the River City crime boss has been completely unreachable. Whether he’s simply gone to ground, or she actually succeeded in taking him out, no one’s entirely sure. Even then, there’s no guarantee he would consent to work with the ones who had been so recently contracted to eliminate his business partner, Nigel Grimalde...

Sighing deeply, he nodded to his subordinate. “Contact Toshi-san. Have him transport the girl to the shipping district, and seek out Hanzo-san. I’ll contact the Chinese and arrange to use their overseas transport to move the girl out of the country. The Triad leader owes me a favor from years back and I plan to call in the marker. Until then, they are to lay low and keep out of sight.”

“Understood, Oyabun-sama,” Noguchi replied, bowing low. He winced slightly, the hand pressed flat against the floor holding him up twitching slightly. Oyabun’s grin merely widened slightly at the bandaged stump of his right pinky finger, the reminder of his upstart subordinate being reminded of his place. He nodded once, and Noguchi backed away, fleeing his presence. Alone again, he sighed softly, pondering.

Everything is going just as I’d hoped. The girl is on her way to me, and my hated foe has been dealt a painful reminder of the cost of defying me. Even my contemporaries among the Yakuza will be able to find no fault in how I’ve dealt with this matter. And once the girl is mine, I will use her power to eliminate all who oppose me! He turned, glancing out the window at the view before him, the cherry blossoms fluttering sweetly as they rained down slowly in the breeze.

So... why do I feel apprehensive? As if some portent of doom hangs just over my head? He scowled slightly, then shook it off. Enough. I am Oyabun. I am supreme. There is no one who can challenge me here in my own kingdom. Whatever gods seek my downfall, come at me! I am ready. I will face you head on! Confidence restored, he turned away from the window and clapped twice. Moments later, the door opened, and a young lovely naked blonde girl stepped forward, kneeling in front of him.

“Ah, Alice-chan,” he said brightly, running a withered callused hand lightly along the young girl’s ample rear end, “so good to see you again. And much calmer now than the last time I saw you. I see your ‘training’ has come a long way.”

Empty vacant blue-grey eyes rose to meet her Master’s. “Hai, Oyabun-sama,” she replied with a vacant smile, spreading her legs. “I live to serve, Please use me in any way you desire.”

“It has been a stressful day,” the Yakuza leader stated, standing up, pulling free the sash holding up his pants, releasing his manhood. “I require relaxation. Now, little one... show me how well you have learned your lessons...”

* * *

“I see you still haven’t learned your lesson,” Kasumi Maeda said, shaking her head as they made their way down the aisle towards the first class accommodations. Her friend and fellow student, Asami Ishikawa, merely shrugged.

“Hey, if you want to go and sit back in coach with the other sardines, feel free,” she said with a grin, picking out a large reclining chair next to the window. Kasumi merely sighed.

“I didn’t say I WANTED to sit in coach,” she grumbled. “And anyway, it’s not even that you used your, ahem... assets, to get us upgraded to Business First Class. It’s that we’re supposed to be trying to fit in and not draw attention to ourselves!”

Asami rolled her eyes. “Look, Kasumi, we’re in the clear, okay? We’re just two hot sexy Japanese students having a bit of fun before heading back home, okay? There’s nothing weird or suspicious about that. So I flirted a bit with the man at the ticket counter and got us upgraded? Big deal. I’ve seen it happen before with girls without powers that were decidedly less attractive than us!”

“Huh... I suppose you have a point,” Kasumi conceded after a moment. “Still, I suppose it is better this way. At least here in First Class, we have a lot more privacy. With so many people in coach, I wouldn’t be able to tell if anyone was watching or tracking us among that crowd. Up here, I can definitely tell no one is paying us any attention at all—”

“Excuse me, Miss,” the stewardess, a svelte young brown-haired woman with a nametag proclaiming her ‘Monica’ prompted her. “We’re about to take off shortly. I’ll have to ask you to take your seat, please.”

“Ah! Gomen’nasai! Watsahi wa ima suwarudarou!” Kasumi said, quickly sliding in next to Asami. The stewardess nodded, then continued on her way, making sure everyone was seated and buckled in, and Kasumi let out a soft sigh. Her partner chuckled as the plan finally began to move, taxiing out onto the runway.

“You know, you don’t have to be this uptight,” she chided her. “We’re just getting started. We haven’t even left the airport yet, let alone the country. If you’re this nervous now, how are you going to manage once we reach Japan?”

“Heh. Okay, you’re right. I just... it’s different,” she said sullenly. “If this were a normal ‘mission’, I would only have to worry about myself, making sure I carry out my assignment. But I’m not just a rogue ninja now. I have you to worry about... and Parker and Lucy back home. If anything, I’m more concerned about you and them than I am about myself.”

‘Asami’ nodded, considering. “I see. Then, as your partner, I should do what I can to help you relax. We’ve got about ten hours of flight time ahead of us.” She raised a hand, pushing the CALL button. “The least I can do is make sure you enjoy your time.”

Before she could ask what that meant, the stewardess, Monica, returned. “Yes? Do you need something, Miss?” she asked politely.

“Yes, actually,” Asami stated, switching back to English. “My friend here is feeling VERY stressed out right now,” she said with a wink, “and I was wondering if you could... do something to help put her mind at ease.”

“Ah, I see,” Monica said with a nod. “Well, Miss... um...”

“Kasumi,” Asami prompted with a wicked grin.

“Well, Miss Kasumi,” she began, “flying is a very safe way to travel.You’re much more likely to be in a car crash than die in an airplane—”

“No, no, dear,” Asami interrupted, grinning wider, capturing the young flight attendant’s gaze. “I didn’t mean afraid. She’s stressed out. Nervous. Anxious. And I was hoping some... ‘personal attention’, might help her relax a bit.. if you catch my drift.”

“Venus!” ‘Kasumi’ hissed, cheeks going fire engine red. “What are you doing?!?”

“It’s Asami right now, sweetie,” she reminded her, reaching out a hand to caress the vacantly smiling Monica on her cheek, pushing her towards Veronica’s seat. “And I’m doing exactly what I said I would. I’m helping you to relax and enjoy your flight.”

“T-this isn’t what I waaaaantteeeddd..” she hissed, seizing slightly as the entranced brunette sank to her knees, lifting up Kasumi’s knee-length skirt, caressing the soft silk covered mound underneath. A single touch reminded her of how aroused she already was. Despite her misgivings, a part of her was secretly thrilled by watching Venus Satore work her magic, drawn in by the charismatic ex-villainess, turned on by how effortlessly she took what she wanted from those around her. It was a deplorable act, in and of itself, and under normal circumstances, she would have balked a lot more strongly at the abuse of her powers.

But, since their bonding, she’d found herself a lot more tolerant of the woman’s antics, knowing they were more an expression of her having fun than any real mischief. And the knowledge that she could no longer make them permanent thralls added to her relief. It was... merely a momentary diversion, nothing more. And, she noted idly, as Monica slid down her panties before diving in with relish, no one was getting hurt in the process.

It IS a long flight to Japan, she thought to herself as her toes began to clench. And... goddess bless, that tongue—she’s done this before... and it’s just a bit of stress relief. I’ve been so damned horny all day, too... this will take the edge off so I can focus. And I’ll just blank everyone’s memory of this afterward anyway so... no harm no foul...

Any further thoughts dissolved away in pleasure as she hit her peak. A moment later, she glanced over to find her partner, Asami, enjoying a similar treatment from a shorter, very attractive, young black woman, eating out Asami with obvious enthusiasm. They shared a quick look, then giggled, shaking their heads.

Ah, man... joining the mile high club in First Class, she thought dreamily just before the next orgasm hit. Could this be any more cliche...?

* * *

“And for the last time, I said NO!” Parker growled angrily, glaring at the two young women standing in front of his bedroom door, waiting patiently. “No, you are NOT coming into my bedroom. NO, you are not sharing the bed with me. And NO, you are NOT, N-O-T, having sex with me!”

Chloe and Rose glanced at each other. “Parker, we’ve already been through this,” Rose stated simply. “Our Goddess instructed us to take care of you—”

“Of which, you have both done an excellent job up to this point,” Parker broke in, sighing heavily.

“—and that includes making sure all of your personal needs are met,” she finished, ignoring his little jibe completely. “Believe me, she was VERY specific about what she wanted us to do while she was gone.”

“Yeah, I can just imagine,” he grumbled, glaring as Chloe giggled. “But just because she told you to do it doesn’t mean I have to allow it,” he said firmly. “I’m not Nigel Fucking Grimalde, all right? I do NOT have a fucking harem of girls sharing my bed!” He grunted, turning away. “It’s still enough of an adjustment getting used to sharing the bed again with my WIFE, let alone Venus... and now suddenly I have two more of you dumped into my lap?”

“Egads! Two young attractive women wanting to have sex with you!” Chloe said with a sarcastic edge. “You poor unfortunate soul! You know, Parker, most men would actually be happy about the situation. You make it seem like nothing more than an inconvenience.”

“Is it because we tried to kill you a few weeks ago?” Rose asked, curious.

“Wait... what?!?”

“I mean, if that were the problem, that would be a legitimate gripe. There was nothing personal in it, though.” She shrugged. “You were our Goddess’ enemy, and she wanted you dead. You’ve been under her influence before. You KNOW how it feels to be completely driven by Her needs... by the overwhelming desire to please Her, to do ANYTHING she asks of you...”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” Parker replied with a sigh, rubbing his temples. And there was the rub. He DID know what it was like under Satore’s compulsions, only too well. And yes, she had turned over a new leaf, and Chloe and Rose had submitted to her voluntarily... nevertheless, they were her thralls. Venus had tasked them with warming his bed, possibly jokingly, possibly seriously, but to them, it might as well have been Holy Writ.

So I can’t really blame them for wanting to follow through with her commands, he thought grimly, staring up at their expectant faces. The real question is, how do I tell them no? I guess I could just tell them flat out to leave me alone... but that would just be mean. And rude. I mean, it’s not THEIR fault that Satore has a goddamn twisted sense of humor. But I don’t WANT to sleep with them! I love Roni... and even though I’m pissed at her right now, I love Venus as well. If I just.... hold it. Wait a sec. he paused, an idea forming.

“Okay, ladies,” he said, firmly, causing them both to come to attention. “You said that your Goddess commanded you to take care of my ‘personal’ needs, in the bedroom. What EXACTLY did she say? And be specific.”

Both girls blinked, taken aback. “Um, well,” Chloe began, considering. “She said that we were both to keep you company, to protect you and Lucy from harm, to do anything you needed us to... and to sleep with you every night, without fail.” She smirked. “She also added, not to take ‘no’ for an answer on the last one.”

“Uh huh. So, she said you had to sleep with me, then? Fine,” he said with a smirk of his own. “Come right in, and get ready for bed. It’s large enough to hold all three of us comfortably, and I’m sure you’ll both sleep well.”

“Huh? Sleep? But wait,” Rose protested. “She meant sleep with you, as in having sex with you!”

“Oh, I’m very much aware what she meant,” Parker replied, peeling off his shirt, and unbuckling his pants, “but we’re going by what she said. She commanded you to sleep with me. And that’s exactly what you’re going to be doing in this bed. Sleeping.” He crossed his arms, staring them both down. “Take it or leave it. You can always sleep in the guest bedroom I set up for you.”

The girls glanced at each other, then sighed in resignation. “You drive a hard bargain, Parker,” Chloe grumbled, as she and Rose walked to each side of the bed. His smug grin faltered a bit, however, as both women, moving in tandem, stripped completely naked before sliding underneath the covers.

“WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!” Parker protested. “What the hell is this?!?”

“Just what it looks like, Parker,” Rose said sweetly, innocence dripping from every syllable. “We’re getting ready to sleep. Nothing more.”

“You never said anything about going completely nude!”

“This is how we sleep,” Chloe replied just as sweetly. “If you’re more comfortable in your boxers, that’s up to you. But this is how we intend to sleep. And, in case you were trying to think of a way out of this, we’re going to sleep with you wherever you decide to bed down, whether it’s in your bedroom, or in a tent in the front yard.”

“Dammit,” he replied, hanging his head, defeated. “Fine. You win.” Climbing into bed with the two naked vixens, he sighed heavily. “I just want you both to know if Roni kills me for this, before I succumb, I intent to throttle you both... then send my foot so deep up Satore’s ass that she’ll be able to floss with my shoelaces...”

* * *

Asami let out a soft sigh as she dropped down on the bed of their hotel room, kicking off her shoes and spreading out gleefully. “Mmm... that’s more like it,” she said. “The flight was nice, but it’s good to be back on solid ground again.”

Kasumi, meanwhile, was on her knees on the floor, digging through the large package that had been left in the room by the porters. “Ah! Yes!” she sighed, removing her katana from the case, thumbing open the edge of the grip. “Damn... Nigel, I could kiss you.” she murmured softly, sliding it back into its sheath once more. “Hell, I’d even kiss Patty-cake for this.”

Asami laughed. “I told you it would be here. Though I never knew you were so connected to that sword. The way you’re going on, you’d think they managed to smuggle Parker into the country!”

“If they could do that, then I would love them both forever,” Kasumi replied honestly, “but we both know it’s best the way it is. You and I can handle this. Having my tools back helps... it’s one less thing to worry about.” She walked over to her own bed and flopped down. “So... what do you want to do first? Grab some dinner? Take a shower? Take a nap? I’m feeling a bit hungry AND grimy after that long flight, but I’m still on River City time, and frankly, I’m exhausted.”

“I’m thinking food. Then shower. Then bed, in that order,” Asami announced, sitting up again. “And can we go out? I think I have enough energy left for a trip to grab some food at least.”

“You want to go out?”

“Sure. We’re leaving Tokyo tomorrow as it is, heading off to Kyoto. We might as well go out and see a bit of the city. It’s been ages since we’ve been here after all,” she pointed out, “and all things considered, who knows when we’ll be back this way again?”

Kasumi nodded. “You make a good point. Just remember, we need to leave tomorrow fairly early to make our train. We don’t want to oversleep.” Asami rolled her eyes.

“Hey, it’s not like I’m suggesting we go out for a wild night of partying on the town or anything. We’re JUST going to get dinner, that’s all. I know we need to keep a low profile.” She sighed, considering. “And to that end... when exactly are we shedding these identities? Posing as a pair of schoolgirls back home after spending the summer abroad in America was fine for getting us in the country and all... but we’re a bit more likely to stand out traveling to Kyoto than if were were natives.”

“Heh. Easy for you to say,” Kasumi smirked. “You can change how people see you with that glamour of yours, but I have to wear a damned wig and change my whole persona, speech patterns, the way I walk, everything. And I’m a bit out of practice at this—I haven’t had to use these skills in quite a while, you know.”

“Really? You and Parker never went ‘undercover’ in some sting operation to take down a syndicate or two during your time together?” she teased.

“Not in a few years, no,” her partner replied back, holding her katana, idly, before sighing and strapping it to her back, deciding to keep it with her from now on. “But to answer your question, we’re going to change in transit. Once we leave Tokyo, we’ll stop over in Yokohama, where ‘Kasumi’ and ‘Asami’ will disappear, lost in the crowds, and you and I will emerge as ‘Mei’ and ‘Fumi’, a pair of young business women on vacation, going to see the sites, and attend the upcoming Obon festival.”

Asami wrinkled her nose. “Ugh. Fumi? That’s the best name you could come up with for me? How about Miku instead? I’ve always been a bit partial to that name.”

“Tch, fine, whatever,” Kasumi replied rolling her eyes. “Let’s go ahead and leave already. The sooner we grab something to eat, the sooner we get back here and rest.”

Tokyo it seemed was every bit the bustling city center that they both remembered, though much had changed. Kasumi actually found it reminiscent of River City, with the sheer number of people and buildings and traffic. After a brief discussion, they decided on Fukamachi, both as it was within walking distance of their hotel and it’s wonderful reviews on Yelp. It was actually a nice quiet setting, giving them a place to relax and eat in peace. Leaving, however, Kasumi felt a presence following them, and a quick psychic probe revealed that they’d acquired a stalker.

“Asami.”

“Yeah, I know, I noticed him, too,” her redheaded friend replied quietly. “Is he Yakuza? Do you think we’ve been made?”

“I can’t tell for sure without a deeper scan, but somehow I don’t think so. We’ve been too careful, and no one at customs even batted an eye..” She frowned, making a quick decision. “Just follow my lead for now. Let’s see how this plays out. Besides, we’re more than ready for anything this guy might have up his sleeves.” Asami giggled at that.

Talking louder, and more animatedly, the two continued on their way, taking a more leisurely pace, stopping to point out different sites along the way. All the while, their stalker followed along at a discrete distance, showing a bit of skill, but not enough to suggest actual training. Asami nodded to herself. From the brief glimpses she’d had of the man, he seemed like a punk, the ‘pure creeper’ index hitting a solid nine. She found herself actually grinning in anticipation of the coming encounter.

It’s not as if this guy is in any way involved with the people we’re trying to avoid, after all. He’s just a would-be thief or mugger, who happened to pick the wrong two girls to go after. This should be fun... and a little harmless fun is perfectly fine as long as we stay in control of the situation. She sighed softly to herself. Under other circumstances, I might even bring him back to the hotel room with us for a bit of ‘private fun’... but now it just seems... wrong, somehow. Like it would be... unfair to Parker somehow. She frowned at the thought.

Damn. This is complicated. Playing with those airline attendants on the flight here didn’t raise any red flags, but the idea of being with another man makes me feel almost... ill. This whole ‘relationship’ thing is going to take some getting used to...

For his part, Kenji Sakamoto couldn’t believe his good fortune. His pockets had been depressingly empty for days, and he’d despaired of finding a new source of revenue when he’d spotting these two coming out of the restaurant. He’d pegged them for tourists the moment he’d spotted them, and the more they walked and talked together, the more evident it became. They were obviously well-financed if they’d eaten at Fukamachi—there were certainly cheaper places to find good tempura around the area. The fact that they were both young attractive women didn’t hurt matters either. When they turned into what he knew to be a blind alley, he smiled, thanking his lucky stars as he rushed forward to make his move.

This is going to be too easy.

Kasumi and Asami glanced around in obvious confusion at the brick wall in front of them, checking the map they held in one hand as Kenji came up behind them. “Hey! What do we have here?” he said smoothly, causing them both to turn. “A pair of very lovely young ladies. You seem to be lost.” He smiled wickedly, hands in his pockets. “I’d be willing to lend you my services as a tour guide... if you’re willing to meet my price, that is.”

“Oh? And what would your price happen to be?” Asami asked, arms crossed.

“Not much,” he said, withdrawing a switchblade from his pocket, flicking it open. “Just... ALL the money you have on you. That seems fair, doesn’t it? A real bargain, really.”

“Huh. A robbery,” Kasumi replied, her tone bored. “Well, this is actually somewhat disappointing.” She glanced at her partner, who nodded. Sighing, she slid a hand behind her back, only to pause gaping in surprise as a man dressed in red and black spandex, wearing a bike helmet, dropped suddenly down from above, landing between them at their would-be robber.

“Sorry, but I don’t believe the ladies want you as a guide,” the helmet wearing man stated loudly, assuming a rather cheesy dramatic pose. “Your prices are too high... some might call it ‘extortion’.” Kasumi rolled her eyes.

Kenji growled. “What the hell... are you nuts?” he said, brandishing the knife. “I’m not scared of some idiot in a Halloween costume! Get bent, loser!” he yelled, slashing out with his knife... only to jerk back with a cry as his knife and arm passed completely through the costume-clad hero. “Ahhhhh... what the HELL?” he gasped, stumbling back as the man advanced on him. “It’s... it’s really true. You... you’re... you’re really him? The... the... T... To....”

“The Tokyo Spirit,” the man announced with a sigh. “Yes, it is I. And you, who would prey upon the innocent,” he said, rearing back, “you will feel my wrath! Tokyo Smash!” he called out as he swung, hitting the man across the chin, knocking him out cold. With that, he turned to glance at the two women he’d just saved. “Sorry you had to see that, ladies,” he said, bowing slightly. “But have no fear. I am one of the good guys. My name is—”

“The Tokyo Spirit,” Asami replied, visibly amused. “Yeah, we got that part. Nice costume. And nice trick there, with the going intangible thing. I have a friend who can do that too...”

“Wait... you know someone else with powers?” he asked, peering at them intently. “It’s quite rare finding someone else with special power in this city. It’s fairly common over in the States, but here—”

“That’s because we’re FROM the States,” Asami said quickly, trying to avoid suspicion. “We, ah, my friend and I, we were there for college for the past four years, and just returned back home to Japan earlier today. Right, Kasumi?”

“Yeah, right,” she replied with a sigh. “At any rate, thanks for saving us. We should probably get going. It’s getting late and we have an early morning ahead of us.”

“Ah, then perhaps I should accompany you both back to your hotel then,” the Spirit offered. “The city is safe enough, for the most part, but there are plenty of dangers around for those not familiar with the city.”

“Thanks but no thanks,” Kasumi said, pushing past him. “We can take care of ourselves.” She tensed slightly as she felt him grab her arm in passing, barely repressing the urge to strike back as a reflex.

“Yes, so I see,” he replied with an obvious frown. “Is that why you are carrying a sword strapped to your back?” Roni’s eyes widened slightly.

“Yes, my friend is an expert in kendo,” Asami replied smoothly, covering the momentary lapse. “She’s the school champion, by the way. Never leaves home without her sword.”

“Fourth generation kendo master,” Kasumi replied with a thin smile. “If you hadn’t shown up when you had, I was prepared to teach that thug a lesson in manners. So as you see, my partner and I are perfectly capable of protecting ourselves... so,” she said, gesturing to her arm.

“Oh! Yes, sorry,” he said, releasing his grip. “Please forgive my indiscretion. As long as you are both confident of making it back to your home safely, I shall be off. There are other citizens that may need my aid. Fare thee well!” With that, he backed away, walking through the nearby wall and disappearing from sight.

“Okay... well, that was definitely... different,” Asami mused aloud, as her comrade simply shook her head. “With the garish costume and bad dialogue, it was a bit like watching a live action Power Rangers episode. Still, he was at least helpful.” Kasumi merely grunted. “Okay, what’s wrong? Something on your mind?”

“That guy...” she answered, staring hard at the wall. “There was just something... off about him. I mean, I highly doubt he was Yakuza. I’d sooner believe that punk on the ground was one of theirs than him. But... I couldn’t read him.”

That caught Asami’s attention. “Wait. You couldn’t read him? Psychically, you mean?”

Kasumi nodded. “He’s like Ghost Girl... your precious Rose. I couldn’t pin down his mind. It was like he was... mentally out of synch. Out of phase. It was like trying to listen to a badly echoing conversation listened through a can. While underwater.”

“Okay, I get it. You couldn’t read him. But still... he was one of the good guys. It doesn’t matter if you could read his mind or not. The whole thing’s over and done with now. and we’ll be leaving in the morning anyway.” She placed an arm around Kasumi’s waist. “Let’s go back to the hotel. Having a quick shower and bedding down in a soft bed sounds really good right now.” Nodding in agreement, the two left the alleyway... just as a uniform-clad man emerged from the wall of the building.

Officer Ken Hayashida, the Tokyo Spirit’s civilian identity, stared after the two women for a long moment before sighing softly. Huh. Strange girls. Nice, but... strange. And that dark haired one... I don’t know. Something about her seems familiar. And that sword... I’m sure I’ve seen that crest on the grip somewhere before. Sighing, he pulled a pair of handcuffs from his belt and restrained the unconscious perp.

Guess I’ll check Dad’s library when I get home later after my shift. His hobby of collecting information and memorabilia from the Edo period should have what I’m looking for. In the meantime, a quick call to the duty sergeant will have the guys pick him up, and add to the growing legend of the Tokyo Spirit! With that, he pulled out his cell phone...

* * *

“So, as you can see from the chart,” Dr. Maxwell Reeve stated, “this patient was admitted after taking a fall from his roof. Minor fractures of the left humerus, as well as the left tibia and fibula, which have been treated. Patient has also voiced concerns about unspecified intermittent abdominal pains and difficulty breathing.” He glanced around at the interns. “You, there... Alicia. Diagnosis?”

The young short haired blonde blinked, jerking slightly in surprise at being called on. “Um, uh, uh... possible punctured lung? Pierced from broken ribs?”

Dr. Reeve scowled. “I said difficulty breathing, not the impossibility of breathing. If he had a collapsed lung, he’d been on a respirator.” Alicia shrank back. “Hmm... you, there... Shawn. Diagnosis.”

The sandy-haired man frowned, considering before speaking. “I’d say... damaged or punctured liver, causing undue pressure on the diaphragm. It explains the pain and the difficulty breathing.”

Reeve sighed. “That one was better, but still off. If the patient had suffered a damaged liver, it would be more serious than the fractures and would have been the main diagnosis, and treated as such. Closer... but still a bit off the mark.” He glanced around at the other interns, who steadfastly avoided his gaze. “You there... James?”

“Um, it’s Jimmy, actually.”

“I really don’t care at this point. Diagnosis. Now!”

Jimmy sighed, closing his eyes briefly. “All right. I’d say... punctured or damaged spleen, possibly bladder, causing fluid build up in the chest cavity, putting pressure on the diaphragm and lungs themselves.” Reeve opened his mouth to speak, but Jimmy held up a hand. “As for the other issue... the intermittent pain? Damaged, possibly broken spine, caused by the impact of the fall, leading to intermittent pain signals being transmitted to the brain.”

Dr. Reeve blinked in surprise. “Interesting analysis. And how did you come up with it?”

“Well, the chart shows a rather aggressive treatment regiment of antibiotics and low dose steroids in addition to painkillers,” he pointed out, “which suggests preventative efforts for sepsis, a likely outcome for a ruptured spleen or bladder. Serious enough to treat but lower in priority compared to the fractures and spinal break. As for the spine issue,” he said, gesturing to the patient himself, “considering the obvious fractures in his arm and leg, his sleeping position is way too rigid, don’t you think? Given a choice, I’d think he would prefer to put more pressure on his uninjured side. Instead, he’s laid completely flat and balanced, as if his back has been braced and locked into position... to prevent shifting around in his sleep.”

A slow smile creased the old doctors face. “Well, well... nicely done Mister... Jimmy, was it? You see that, students? A true diagnosis comes not only from what you’ve been given on a chart. Medicine is fluid, dynamic... you have to be aware of what’s going on around you. Mr. Frasier here noted the treatments listed on the chart, the tiny details on the usage of antibiotics, and the fact that were being used in a greater capacity than normal. He also took into account the current situation with the patient, and that, even though it’s covered up by the bedcovers, his back is indeed braced.” He nodded approvingly. “You have to look at ALL the details, ladies and gentlemen. Sometimes the solution is obvious... but sometimes you have to search for it.”

As the doctor moved on, leading them down the hallway to a different room, Jimmy let out a soft sigh. “Damn... Doogie Houser strikes again,” Shawn murmured, coming up behind him. “Seriously, man, how the HELL did you notice that? Did you stay up late memorizing every episode of House and Grey’s Anatomy just for today?”

“Hey, lay off, Shawn,” Alicia said with a sigh of her own. “At least you got closer than I did. Ughh... I feel like such an idiot right now.”

“It was a tough question,” Jimmy told them both, shrugging. “And frankly, if he’s asked me first, I might have gone with a partially punctured lung or liver as well. I only went with the spleen after he shot down the two of you.”

“Huh. Okay... well, that makes me feel slightly better,” Shawn replied with a smirk. “The secret is out at last, genius boy—you stand tall because you stand on the shoulders of giants.”

“Oh? So you’re a giant then?” Alicia teased. causing Shawn to roll his eyes. The fact that he was five foot three was always a spot of contention for him.

“Ahem!” Dr. Reeve said loudly, causing the others to glance up. “If you three stragglers could be bothers to catch up with the rest of us, there is more leaning to do today.”

“Yes, sir, Dr. Reeve,” Jimmy called out, sprinting slightly to catch up to the others. Alicia and Shawn shook their heads, mocking him briefly with ‘yes sir, Dr. Reeve’ before running along after him...

* * *

“Mrs. Grimalde? I have Counsel Wilcox for you in the lobby, if you’re free.” Janice called out over the intercom.

“Thank you, Janice. Send him through,” Patricia Grimalde frowned slightly. She knew her schedule for the day perfectly and there had been nothing from the State Department set up for today. Huh. Wonder what this is all about. I seriously doubt its a social call... “Hello, Kirby, what can I do for—”

“What the FUCK, Patricia?”

“Wha... Kirby? What is it? What’s the meaning of this?”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Patricia! I just got a call from an old friend of mine overseas, asking if I knew anything about a certain sword-wielding fugitive from the law being in his country right now. It seems he ran into a woman that looked remarkably similar to her, carrying a sword with the same one-of-a-kind crest that she is known to carry.”

Goddammit! Patty yelled silently. Less than a week and she’s already been spotting. Way to stay stealthy, ninja girl... “Kirby, please, calm down!” she said aloud. “She had to go after them. They were targeting her daughter!”

“ But... but... do you KNOW what they’ll do to her if they catch her?”

“The Yakuza? Sure, but I—”

“No, counselor, not the gangsters, the fucking Japanese legal system. No exemption for mind control and their court system is very ... efficient ... compared to ours. Not to mention they have an air-tight case against her!”

“Yes, yes, all true, but her traveling companion is, um, verrry persuasive. I think they’ll be okay.”

“Err, her traveling companion?”

Patty sighed heavily, turning away. “I’d ... I’d rather not say.”

“Patricia ... I’m THIS CLOSE,” he said, holding his meaty fingers barely apart, “to flying over there and dragging them home myself! Spill!”

“Venus Satore.”

“You... you helped a fucking ESCAPED SUPERVILLAIN MIND CONTROLLER leave the country!?! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?”

“Okay, that’s enough, Kirby!” she shouted back, rising to her feet. “First of all, your news is way out of date. A: She has been rather thoroughly reined in. B: Her sentence was commuted. C: Completely commuted. She’s not even under parole. AND D: She has provisional status as a badged Super in River City now.”

The square-jawed counselor groaned softly, rubbing his templed. “Why is it that every time I get involved with you it REEKS of shady dealings?”

“That’s a low blow, Kirby! People change! EVEN SUPERVILLAINS! As for me, what you see is what you get.” She walked back over to her desk, sitting down. “I do everything by the book—RIGHT UP TO THE POINT THAT ‘THE BOOK’ INTERFERES WITH JUSTICE! Lucy Albinn is seven years old and she’s a target of the FUCKING YAKUZA! I was happy to do EVERYTHING in my power to help her family protect her!”

Kirby sighed heavily. “Do you really think they can do it?” he asked after a moment.

“Protect Lucy?”

“Yes, well, that is if the ‘protecting’ involves doing enough damage to a Yakuza clan to convince them to forego vengeance against a defector?”

“Truthfully Kirby... It’s not gonna be easy. I’m... actually a little worried about them.”

“Hmm,” he said, considering. “Well, I’m due for a rotation at the US Embassy in Japan. I think I can pull a few strings and head over a bit early.”

Patty frowned, shaking her head. “Kirby, no. You need to stay out of this!”

“Relax, Patricia,” he said raising his hands. “I’ll just keep an eye on them ... if I can even find them,” he replied giving her a grin.

sigh “Tch... fine. I guess. It’s not like I could stop you.” She rose again to walk over to her friend. “Just promise me that you’ll be careful over there, okay? You’re not actually invincible, as much as you’d like everyone to believe it. And... if you can... bring them both back safely.”

“I’ll certainly give it my best.” He turned to leave, then paused. “You know, I have to ask. Why the concern about those two? I know a bit of your backstory with Satore... and I already know Veronica Albinn’s not on your list of favorite people. And I know you guys have a truce of some kind going on.. but, why go so far out on a limb for them?”

“It’s not for them, exactly,” Patty said softly, glancing at the window. “It’s more for those who care for them...”

Kirby Wilcox nodded. “As I said, I’ll do my best. And you know what my best entails. Don’t worry, Patricia. I’ll make sure they come back in one piece.”