The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

“Past Perfect Tense”

“’Warm bodies,’ I sense, ‘are not machines that can only make money.’
Past Perfect Tense, words for a feeling and all I’ve discovered.
I’ll be along, Son, with medicine supposed to, designed to make You high.
I’ll be along, Son, with Words for a Feeling and All I’ve Discovered.
- Live, “Pillar of Davidson”

Daniel Williams blinked and then nodded to the strange woman sitting across from him. He had fallen asleep; descriptions of the functions of the body always bored him. He already knew that he needed a kidney transplant. He had done enough research on the Internet to know what was involved. He was tired of people’s attempts to reassure him. It only made him more nervous.

“Good. We’ll see you on the big day. Take care, Danny!”

Daniel suppressed a groan. He hated it when people called him ‘Danny’. It reminded him of a pleasant past that was nevertheless the past. He put on his sunglasses and walked out of the coordinator’s office without saying another word. He didn’t feel like being gracious or polite. They should know he wasn’t excited about being cut open, even if it saved his life.

He thought about the woman he just saw. Her handshake was extremely cold, and she talked with a certain amount of glee about cutting him open. It seemed absurd to him. He figured doctors to be the type that would be sad about having to cut someone open. And yet, throughout this whole ordeal, everyone just seemed so happy that all the surgeries worked out, expressing disbelief when they ultimately didn’t work out.

He thought of all the bitter thoughts he held towards them and wondered if he deserved a life to save.

‘Is this all worth it... in the end?’

* * *

Daniel rolled around in bed. Restless.

It’ll just be a little pinch, Danny Boy... then it’ll all be over... don’t worry, I’ll take care of You...

It was the voice of a nurse from the last time he was in the hospital. Back when his blood was poisoned. He ran away. She cried. Did she care? He didn’t believe so. People just clung to life wherever they saw it. Right...?

I know it hurts... I’ll distract You. Don’t worry. I’ll take care of You...

Master...

Daniel opened his eyes by force of will. It was a dream and he knew it. He felt pain in his chest and clutched it. Felt warm and wet. He looked at his hands. Blood.

Strangely he wasn’t shocked.

Don’t try to wake up, Danny Boy... the dream is all You have...

Danny closed his eyes and fell back into himself.

* * *

“Don’t worry, Danielcito... uncle will take care of you.”

Daniel grumbled and thrust his hands into his pockets. His uncle Ramón, the kidney donor. He was the brother of Daniel’s mother, and a little on the weird side. He never said much to anyone in person, but on the Internet he played the role of sage and philosopher. It was hard to reconcile that dichotomy, especially when Daniel was confronted with Ramón’s rapidly aging body.

“Yeah, whatever. Look, you’re only doing this because it was in my mom’s will, okay? It’s not like I want to stay alive,” Daniel said gruffly.

“Have more respect for Delia than that, Danielcito,” Ramón said. “She wanted you to have a good life. We all expect great things from you.”

“Well, it’s nice to know there’s no pressure,” Daniel grumbled, extracting as much sarcasm as possible from his statement.

Ramón just smiled that creepy smile of his and walked down the hall. Daniel followed, trailing behind by a good distance. He didn’t want anyone to know they were related. He bit his lip and considered what he knew about his uncle; about how he related to his cousins, and how he related to Daniel in the days when he was healthy. He pondered whether anything like what happened to his cousins happened to him, and immediately pressed that thought out of his consciousness.

Tears filled his eyes.

‘Thank God my mom can’t see me now...’ was the sole thought in his head...

* * *

Daniel slept in his bed, music playing from his computer and cool air coming from a fan. He needed all the white noise he could create, because he couldn’t sleep in silence. Voices would creep in his head that he never was sure were his...

...he closed his eyes and slipped into his dreamspace where he was safe and secure...

Danny Boy... it’s time...

“Time for what?” Danny whispered in his dreams. He opened his eyes, but had no way of knowing if he was up or not. He seemed to still be in his bedroom...

Relax, Danny. Look into My eyes. Look at what A Perfect Circle they make...

Ruby red eyes materialized in front of Danny. They suddenly became Danny’s entire world. He smelled the distinct scent of peppermint as he kept looking into those beautiful eyes...

He felt a cutting pain in his lower abdomen. But his mouth was covered before he could get his scream out. Lips. He was kissing. He had never been kissed before. The pain mixed with the feeling of an exchange of breath combined to make something...

...the pain forced tears from his eyelids.

You can hear Me, can’t You? Adia will take care of You from now on.

“Please... take care of me...” Danny murmured. It hurt to talk. He could feel blood pouring from his wound. Hands inside his insides.

Just don’t try to wake up, and the pain will turn into pleasure. I promise...

A sudden surge of warmth...

...and Daniel woke up.

bleed in your own light
dream of your own life
i miss me
i miss everything i’ll never be...

The sound of the radio over his speakers seemed to reflect on the terrifying nature of the nightmare that was his life. He felt the side of his chest where the doctor had cut in his dream...

...and felt a warm wetness that wasn’t blood.

He brought his fingers to his nose and took a deep breath. It smelled like...

...peppermint...

* * *

It was the big day.

Daniel packed his suitcase with the bare essentials standard to a hospital trip. Several changes of clothes. Toothbrush, toothpaste, cologne, soap and other assorted toiletries. Three towels. His walkman and several CDs. And his book of Bahá’í Prayers that his mother had left to him. He also packed a picture of an Asian girl he had known from some time ago. She was holding a baby in the picture. It comforted him. He didn’t know why, but he wanted her along.

A vibration from his pocket. Daniel took out his cell phone and answered the call. It never felt less awkward to him. He fought the urge to picture himself as some harried Hollywood mogul.

“Hello?”

“Hi Danny, it’s Julie.”

Daniel couldn’t help but smile. He could always count on his best friend Julie Howard to touch bases just when he needed it the most. “Yeah, hi, Julie. I was just thinking about you.”

“Oh, that’s sweet! But seriously, I just wanted to tell you that you have my prayers. Stiffen that upper lip, soldier. You’ll get through this in no time.”

“Yeah... I guess. I’m just not looking forward to that catheter... ugh, what a violation.”

“Oh, grow up,” Julie said playfully. “I go through worse with my OB/GYN. Besides, it’ll be nice to not have to worry about peeing for awhile.”

“Come on, Julie, that’s gross!”

“Hey, it’s true,” Julie giggled. “It’s a pain in the butt, among other things. Anyway, I want you to recover quick so I can kick your butt in Puzzle Fighter again!”

“I’ll beat you someday, Julie,” Daniel said, smiling even though she couldn’t see him. “That’s a promise!”

“Heh, maybe in 200 years,” Julie said, and he could almost see her winking. “By then, I’ll be dead, so nyeah.”

A sudden shock from his heart at the thought of Julie dying broke Daniel’s levity. “Don’t talk that way, Julie,” he said. “I don’t want to think about that.”

“Oh,” Julie said, and sounded genuinely offput. “I’m sorry, Danny...”

A moment of pregnant silence.

Julie broke the awkward echo of nothing. “Hey, call me if you need me, okay?” she said. “You know my number. Want me to come visit?”

“No, it’s okay,” Daniel said. “I don’t want you to see me that way...”

“I understand, Danny,” Julie said. She had a way of being blunt without sounding upset. Danny appreciated that. “Hey, I gotta go. I have an appointment with Ms. Hayes.”

“Right,” Daniel said, and grumbled to himself. Vera Hayes seemed to really love his friend Julie for some reason. He never got to see her, though. “Hey, take care of yourself, okay? Bye...”

“Bye-i!” Julie said, and the connection was broken.

Daniel stared at his cell phone for a moment. He felt tears begin to form in his eyes. What was he sad about?

Was he actually... scared that he might not survive?...

* * *

Reception was no big deal. Daniel had been to this hospital so many times that it was routine for him. Submit all the paperwork, birthday October 27, social security and all the other important stuff. Tenth floor, east wing. He had requested a single room, and thankfully one was available.

As he settled in and unpacked, he heard three raps at the door. “Come in,” he said. Internally, he grumbled to himself about the façade of politeness in a hospital.

Dr. William Gahl, the head doctor in charge of Daniel Williams’ condition, walked in. He was a nice enough man, but something about him made Daniel uneasy. He knew Dr. Gahl really wanted to help, but he wondered if finding a cure for his condition outprioritized Daniel’s well being in the doctor’s mind. After all, it was Dr. Gahl who initially told Daniel that his dreams were a delusion of his mind to begin with...

Sssssh... Danny, believe in him.

The voice from his dreams was suddenly in his head as clear as day. Daniel was startled, but managed to suppress it. Dr. Gahl was telling him about the procedure. Again. He’d heard it so many times that it was like a broken record. Smile and nod. Smile and nod. That was the only way through this.

“Okay, so get some rest and the transplant team will see you in the morning,” Dr. Gahl said.

“Yeah,” Daniel said. “Thanks for everything, Dr. Gahl.” Why was he referring to him by name? He never even called his friends by name.

He left and the door closed behind him. Daniel changed into his pajamas and went to bed. The sound of the vent would keep his mind from racing. He stared out the window and pondered how it would feel like to wake up with someone else’s organ in you. He recalled a dream where he had been in a car crash and was being wheeled around in a hospital with a tube sticking out of his chest. You can’t feel pain in dreams, everyone says. What a vicious lie.

Danny dreamt of sleeping...

* * *

The door opened. No knock this time.

And a gentle touch on his face stirred Daniel from his dreams.

“Huh?” he whispered.

“I’m your nurse, Adia Barton,” a female voice said. A familiar voice...

“Uhh...”

“The doctor sent me to help you relax before the big day,” she went on.

“Oh...”

“Up,” she said simply, and Daniel did. His pajama shirt was unbuttoned. Strangely, he didn’t panic. Were they prepping him for the surgery right now?

“Have you ever slept with a girl before?” the nurse whispered in his ear.

“I...” Daniel’s mouth opened dumbly. What... what was going on? This had to be a dream.

Hands opened his fly. They did this expertly, without hesitation or fumbling.

He was already aroused.

“Wait... don’t...” Daniel began to protest.

“Sssssh...” Adia said. “It’s just like before. This is only a dream.”

“Only a dream...” Danny’s mind began to fade.

“Remember me loving you, Danny. Remember your peace.”

“Love... ai...” Their bodies joined. He was too tired to see clearly, but his arms held her. She weighed nothing. It was like snuggling a cloud...

They kissed. Again. And again. And again.

Danny didn’t remember if he came or not.

* * *

When Daniel woke up, his shirt was on.

He laughed to himself. “Of course... a dream,” he said.

Just then, several men and women in white lab coats came in. Apparently, it was time for the kidney transplant. Daniel’s nerves went on heightened alert. He really didn’t want this. All of this was against his will. There was still time to back out, so he could die alone and in peace. If he died, he couldn’t hurt anyone anymore. He would rather die than have to hurt any more people.

Adia Barton was among the people there.

“Adia, I’m scared,” Daniel said to her. Unusual for him to be so honest about his feelings for a medical procedure... and wasn’t she a dream?

“I know,” Adia replied, and touched his face. “The doctor said I could be with you until you’re sedated, though, so don’t worry. I’ll help you through it.”

Daniel blinked. Was it a dream after all? “Wait,” he said. “Were you in my room last night?”

“I’m a morning nurse,” she said. “I wasn’t here last night.”

“Oh,” Daniel said, and touched his lip with his finger.

“I’m going to use some hypnosis to help you relax, Danny,” she said. “Are you good at relaxing?”

“Not particularly,” Daniel said with a nervous giggle.

He just now noted that he was in a hospital gown. He didn’t remember changing his clothes.

“I’ll help you,” Adia said, and then pointed to her eyes. “Can you tell me what color my eyes are?”

Ruby red... a perfect circle. “R...r...” But only albinos had red eyes, right? But Adia’s skin was soft, if paler than normal, and her blonde hair was very dark... wait, his mind was spinning...

“Just keep looking... it’s not clear what color they are at first,” Adia said. “Keep looking, and tell me when you know.”

He felt a faint pinch in his right arm. But he did as the nurse asked. They were red. He looked deeper. The center of the eye was black. So he kept looking. There was a spark of color. A spark of light. But what color?...

Danny Boy...

A voice deep inside his head...

I belong to You now... You are My Master...

What? No... I can’t be anyone’s Master... I’m just a guy...

You need someone to love You unconditionally or You will never get through this, My Love... so accept Me, please... I don’t want You to die...

Why not? Why can’t you let Me go? Life is so hard, and no one knows what to do with theirs. They end up hurting each other trying to find out...

I know what to do with Mine... I want to Love You with all of Myself... and make Your Dreams come True. You still have Dreams, don’t You?

Daniel blinked once. Adia’s eyes were blue. Had they changed color while he drifted just a moment ago?

Rest, Master... You don’t need to see this...

Daniel did.

* * *

Danny dreamed.

He was being held in a warm embrace. There was a spark out there in the big cold world, but he didn’t want to chase after it. Not after what happened last time.

“Mommy,” he sighed and nuzzled the body that held him. But there was no body, only mist. The mist felt so warm, though...

‘I’ll always be with You, My love...’ a familiar Voice rang in the darkness. ‘Now, go find the Treasure that is Yours.’

“No,” he whispered. “I want to be with You, forever. You weren’t just a dream... I remember now, Mommy.”

‘You have other Family, though, My sweet Danny,’ the Voice replied. ‘Family that wants to see You succeed, achieve Your Dreams and make the world recognize Your Existence. You can never fail, Danny. Everybody loves You.’

“That’s not true,” Danny cried. “Don’t lie to me to make me feel better. Everyone who loves me is dead or gone...”

‘Am I dead?’

Danny gasped and realized he was caught. He gazed at the spark. What was it? Why did he want it so badly?

“You don’t exist,” Danny whispered. “You’re in my head. You are a dream.”

‘Then make Your Dream come true, My Child,’ the Voice said, forever warm and loving. ‘There’s a Girl on the other side, who wants to help You. Let Her help You.’

“A... Adia? Is she... is she my sister that You’re looking for?”

‘You’ll see, Danny... you just have to trust Her now. Remember how easy it is to trust... when You are safe.’

The arms let go and, hesitatingly, Danny walked towards the light. He was scared to look back, but scared to move forward. Then, a distinctly male voice echoed in the darkness.

‘Don’t be afraid... this is why I let go.’

Recognizing the voice, Danny started to walk quicker. Before he knew what he was doing... he was running towards the light...

* * *

Pain.

Pain rocked Daniel’s nerves as he returned to his body. His insides felt like someone had kicked them in, and his whole body felt like it had been hit by a car. He felt an awkward stiffness down below that could only have been his bladder catheter, and his right arm was hooked up to several IVs. A sickening feeling of being split open at the seams came over him.

His head swam.

Daniel opened his mouth to speak and found his throat to be hoarse. He remembered that in previous surgeries, they told him that they had to put a tube in his trachea to force him to breathe. He hated waking up after surgery. He wished they could have fed him more drugs so that he would remain unconscious. Why was it necessary to be aware of your body healing?...

A nurse walked into the recovery room, holding a clipboard.

It was Adia.

“Hi, Danny,” she said.

Daniel just moaned like a beaten dog.

“I can’t say I know it hurts,” Adia said. “I’ve never had to deal with the kinds of things you have. But I promise you’ll feel better than you’ve ever felt before after the pain goes away. As long as you take the anti-rejection meds on time, you’ll be fine.”

Daniel began to cry. It was his lack of discipline with respect to medication that caused him to need a kidney transplant in the first place. He knew then what he knew now, and wasn’t responsible anyway. How could he hope to succeed now? Would the memory of the pain of the surgery keep him in check?

Then Adia stroked Daniel’s cheek, and the pain began to fade. She was touching him gently, and her hand was warm. Daniel used what little strength he had to lean into her touch. His mind raced. Gentle touches always aroused him, and with the catheter he had, it would probably not be a good idea to be aroused. But he needed the warmth.

But this time, his body didn’t respond. Perhaps it was too drugged to realize it should be... or maybe Daniel finally understood what it meant for someone to simply touch him without wanting anything more from him...

“Look into my eyes, Danny,” Adia said. “Can you tell me what color they are now?”

A perfect circle of... “B...blue,” Daniel managed to croak out.

“Good boy,” Adia whispered, which caused Daniel to bite his lip so hard the skin almost broke.

“Don’t be afraid,” Adia continued as she caressed his cheek. “You need someone to take care of you right now.”

“But... the other patients...” Daniel winced. It hurt to speak.

“Ssssssh...” Adia whispered. “It’s just a dream... just like before.”

...just a dream...

Time bent.

* * *

Daniel was eating lunch. Enough time passed so that he could eat solids again. The catheter was still in, though. It felt weird to not have to use the bathroom for... that. He hated not being allowed any privacy.

The pain hadn’t subsided. In fact, it had slowly gotten worse. He wondered if his body was rejecting the kidney already. Maybe it was psychological. His uncle was a complete creep and he’d always felt of two minds about relying on him to continue living. There was a history with him of...

Dr. Gahl had come in a few times with lab reports. He said the transplant had gone well. Daniel couldn’t really believe him, not with all the pain he was in. But things did seem to be a bit clearer despite the pain. Everything looked less foggy than before. He could see more well defined colors. And he finally felt like things in his life could change for the better in the future...

Adia Barton entered the room.

“How’s my favorite patient?” she said in a sunny voice.

“Ughh...” Daniel moaned.

Adia giggled. If it was anyone else, Daniel would be very angry, but her laugh lightened his spirits. “Maybe you just need some music to take your mind off the pain,” she said. “I have just the thing.”

She placed a CD into Daniel’s walkman, and put the headphones on his ears. She kept eye contact the whole time, which was a really good trick considering the walkman was on the nightstand.

You come out at night
that’s when the energy comes
and the dark side’s light
and the vampires roam...

Daniel made a face. He hated this song. But he liked the singer.

“What an unpleasant look,” Adia said with a slight frown. “Maybe you’ll like track four better...” She pressed the fast forward button three times.

Adia, I do believe I’ve failed you
Adia, I know I’ve let you down...

Daniel gasped and tears immediately began to fill his eyes. He remembered everything. The physical pain shut down. “Oh, God,” he whispered.

Don’t you know I tried so hard to love you in my waaay?...
It’s easy, let it go...

Kiss. He was being kissed. He’d never been kissed before. He opened his eyes and looked into hers. They were open too. He looked for the color. Fell in.

Adia, I’m empty since you left me
Trying to find a way to carry on...

“Look into my eyes. You are healing. You will forgive. Forgive the past, Danny, and let go. Nobody can hurt You anymore. It’s beginning, Danny. You can Die now.”

I’ve searched myself and everyone
to see where we went wrong...

“D...die?”

“Yessss... You will Die. Don’t fear Death. Death is inevitable, darling. But We won’t ever be apart. Nobody Dies alone, Danny. There’s always Someone to guide You.”

There’s no one left to finger
There’s no one here to blame...

“You’re... you’re an Angel?”

“No, Danny. You’re an Angel. My Angel... my Angel of Death. Can You feel Your wings?”

There’s no one left to talk to, honey,
and there ain’t no one to buy our innocence.

Danny imagined a pair of white wings sprouting from his back. He covered Adia in them. He felt her body begin to slow, still. He felt her soul slip into his own body. Everything became so far away.

‘Cause We are born innocent...
believe Me, Adia, We are still innocent...

Images ran through his head. Flashbacks.

It’s easy, We all falter...
Daniel Williams died on June 30, 2005.

...but does it matter?

* * *

Danny woke up groaning. He felt like he’d been asleep for years. Or forever. Or perhaps he was dreaming now. He wasn’t sure. He tried to remember something from before. He couldn’t. He could only feel, and the only feelings were warm comfort and softness.

His cock stirred.

Danny blinked. He was in his hospital bed. His chest was covered in bandages, and the bladder catheter was gone.

He felt no pain.

Three raps at the door. “Come in, Dr. Gahl,” he said. Weird... again, referring to him by name.

Dr. Gahl had a solemn look on his face as he held his papers. “It’s me,” he said. “Well, these labs look real good. I think you can go home in a matter of days. The surgery went better than we could have expected. Your body is really adjusting well. I’m surprised, honestly. You looked so weak when you came in here, I thought you would need a lot more time to recover.”

“Oh, well... that’s good news,” Danny said. In the back of his mind, he was nervous. Now that he was healthy, what did he have to do? He didn’t look forward to returning to the workplace.

“Yes, well, it’s not all good news,” Dr. Gahl said. “Your uncle had a hemorrhage after we stitched him up, Daniel. We can’t explain what happened, but it seems like he had weakened blood valves. The internal bleeding was too severe, and...”

“Uncle Ramón died?” Danny gasped. He felt sick inside. He clutched his chest. He had a dead man’s kidney.

Dr. Gahl nodded. “I’m sorry, Daniel. I know he was your uncle, and he was an important person to you. He was your only family left after your parents passed away, right?”

Danny nodded. “Yeah... this is... a shock. I didn’t expect this to happen.”

“Ramón informed us that in the event that something like this happened, that he would donate his body to science. But we’d still like you to sign off on it.”

Danny blinked. “That’s... unusual,” he said. “It sounds legally tricky.”

Dr. Gahl chuckled. It sounded patronizing. “We just need a witness to confirm his wishes. I have the form for you right here.”

Danny took the form and signed his name “Daniel Williams” by force of habit. His mind was black. He didn’t like his uncle, but he never wished him dead.

“Okay then, that’s taken care of,” Dr. Gahl said. “Now you just have to go downstairs to get your anti-rejection medication, then sign out and you’re all set. Think you’re able to stand up on your own?”

“Yeah... thank you, Dr. Gahl,” Danny said. Nevertheless, he was uncertain as he got off the bed. He felt like he was a ghost. He should have died instead of his uncle. This wasn’t fair.

“Oh, I almost forgot... your sister came to visit,” Dr. Gahl said. “She said she wanted to help you, just in case you weren’t completely recovered from the surgery.”

“...Sister?” Didn’t Dr. Gahl just say he had no family? What was he talking...

A girl came into the room. She looked to be about his age—probably just hitting twenty. She had blonde hair which was done in a style which was short but not too short—reaching a bit past her shoulders. She looked pretty cute and was dressed simply—jeans, shirt, sneakers. Danny focused his eyes...

Julie!

“I heard you might need me,” Julie said, and closed her eyes as she smiled.

Danny felt tears rush into his eyes and ran to hug his sister. They embraced tightly, focusing on the warmth of one another. Julie kissed Danny’s ear. “I’m just happy you’re safe,” she whispered, and nuzzled his ear. A memory of an old story danced in his head.

“Don’t forget to pack,” Dr. Gahl said, breaking the timeless mood between them. “You usually leave something when you visit here. Don’t want you to forget anything this time!” He chuckled a bit. It sounded genuine.

“Thank you, Dr. Gahl,” Danny said, and brother and sister set to work packing his things.

* * *

The two exited his hospital room, hand in hand, Julie holding Danny’s suitcase proudly. Danny was dressed in a black shirt and loose-fitting khakis. He still didn’t feel any pain.

Adia Barton stopped them before they could get very far. “So you’re leaving,” she said to Danny. She looked sad.

“He’ll be back,” Julie said. “They have to constantly monitor him to make sure the kidney takes.”

Adia smiled. “Then I’ll see You again... Master.” She whispered the last word, and winked.

Danny blushed furiously and looked down at his feet.

Julie giggled. “He’s the cutest when you tease him,” she said. “I’ll have to tell you some tricks of my own later.”

“Oh, yes, please,” Adia said. “He’s just too shy for me to get through to him.”

“Oh, but that’s half the fun!” Julie replied. And the girls giggled together.

“Bye, Adia,” Danny whispered, still looking at the ground. “Thank you...”

“Don’t be mean, baby brother,” Julie whispered. “Look her in the eyes.”

Danny raised his head. His skin was electric as he met the gaze of Adia. Her eyes were... were...

...red?

“Bye, Mr. Williams,” Adia said. “Take care of yourself, okay? See you next year.”

...jade. Her eyes had changed... he could have sworn they were red a moment ago. And weren’t they usually blue?

“Okay, Adia,” Danny replied. “Thanks... for everything.”

Julie tugged on his arm, and they went away. Danny’s head was spinning, and his heart told him to do one last thing before he left. He turned back to look at the name tag on his hospital room.

The name tag read “Lilithborne”.

* * *

CONTINUED IN “ISLAND OF HOPE”