The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Zebediah Clark: Restraints Rescinded

by Dazzling Lady & J. Darksong

Ch.1)

At precisely six-thirty in the morning, Zebediah Clark opened his eyes, sitting up in his bed. He yawned and stretched, taking a moment to assess his condition. He smiled, feeling himself energized and well-rested, back to his normal self once more. It had taken a few days, but he finally felt his energy was restored. The unusual situation from a few days earlier had apparently passed with no lingering symptoms.

He hoped the same could be said of Lady Casey and her lovely wife.

No, I am sure they are both fine, he told himself, rising from the bed. The strain was much less on both of them. Plus, they both seemed nearly recovered and in good spirits when I called to check on them yesterday after the ceremony.

He sighed softly at that. He’d lamented missing what was apparently an important moment for Casey and her friends. While he didn’t know the details, Domina Peggy, the leader of the Fascinating Five, was “ascending”, performing a ritual to further progress her status as the newly awakened Dragon of Hypnothea. And despite his own personal misgivings about the goddess in general, due to his unique circumstances, he still supported Her, as well as her devoted believers, such as Peggy and the Five. Plus, he’d really wanted to meet them all face to face.

Still, it sounds as if it was a good thing that I declined, he mused, stretching idly. From what Lady Alex described, the ceremony was rather… energetic, he thought grinning, and as I was already desperately fatigued simply conversing at dinner, I am sure I would have simply passed out again after only a few minutes. Indeed, I spent most of yesterday simply asleep or resting in bed as it was!

Leaving the bedroom, he nodded briskly to his thrall, Sasha, who was already awake and busy preparing his breakfast. Normally, such a task would have fallen to Janet, his full-time cook, and conditioned slave; however, she was still back at home, at his mansion. He’d only taken use of the Spiral’s in-house slaves for his personal needs while spending the night. Of course, Sasha, ever prudent, had most likely taken charge, knowing his personal preferences for early morning meals. Indeed, the Spiral slave, a brunette whose name he didn’t recall, stood in the corner, washing dishes and cleaning while Sasha did the actual food prep.

Stepping into the expansive living room, he let out a soft sigh, and moved to the center, closing his eyes momentarily to clear his mind and center himself. A staple of his morning routine, he began to exercise, running through his martial arts training, performing several katas in tandem, slowly speeding up as he went. A small wince crept on his face at a slight misstep at the end, once again imagining the harsh chiding voice of his former mentor, Shari, lashing into him. Idiot! What have I preached to you again and again? You must be PERFECT! Even a millimeter off in any step could mean the difference between life and death! Do it again and be perfect! Sighing, he took a moment to recenter himself, then began again, fixing his misstep.

Finishing several minutes later, body covered in a light sweat, he let out a soft sigh.

Hmm... that reminds me, I’ll need to call Shari later today and check in with her and Gram Gram.

He recalled the news Lady Alex had given him, that his grandmother had reconnected with her former friend-turned-enemy-turned-friend once again, Annika Pemberton, the Archdomina. Further, she had left her home in Sun Valley to move in with the Archdomina in her compound up in the mountains near McCall. It was heartening to hear that she was doing well, and had made peace with her former friend... but it was also concerning. Such a change was very unlike his rather stoic and somewhat stubborn grandmother.

Yes, he would definitely need to speak to them later and discern exactly what the situation truly was between them.

Walking back to the kitchen, he again nodded to his slaves, finding the table already set and prepared for him. Sitting down, he gestured for Sasha and the unnamed slave to sit and join him. Sasha did so immediately, and at her annoyed glance, the brunette followed suit.

“Mmmm... delicious and fulfilling as always,” Zeb announced, devouring his simple meal of rice and salmon. He surprised himself as he finished, actually requesting a second helping, which the brunette slave immediately granted before retaking her seat again. “It seems that incident a few days ago seems to have certainly ignited my hunger,” he remarked aloud, as he again cleaned his plate, though eating at a more sedate pace this time. “I suppose my body is simply refueling itself.”

“Indeed, Master,” Sasha noted, nodding. “I am quite pleased that you are feeling rested and recovered this morning. I was... distressed,” she said, her normally placid tone revealing a bit of worry, “when I received the call from Mistress Alexandria the other day, saying that you had collapsed at your salon. She assured me that you were in good hands; The Spiral’s Chief of Medicine Doctor Carson said that it was merely massive fatigue, although I admit to being... concerned as to your well-being,” she said solemnly.

Zeb smiled at her. “Thank you for the concern, Sasha; I genuinely appreciate it. However, I am fine. I can assure you. In fact, I am planning to head back to the Salon after I bathe and dress once again. I have quite a backlog of work to catch up on.”

The black-haired thrall nodded. “Yes, Master. And of course, I shall accompany you.”

Zeb paused, his fork halfway to his mouth. “You plan to accompany me to my workplace?” he asked, frowning slightly.

“I am your thrall, as well as your bodyguard,” Sasha replied calmly, giving him a serene smile. “It is my job to accompany you and serve any need you might have. Further, as your bodyguard, I must be near you in order to aid you or protect you, should the need arise.”

“You do recall that the place I will be working at is an exclusive massage parlor?” Zeb asked pointedly. “There is an extremely low chance of being in any kind of danger there. I will have no need for a bodyguard.”

“Very true, Master,” Sasha replied, her tone still serene, “and yet despite such assurances, two days you DID collapse and require aid. The situation was, of course, unexpected and unusual,” she added before Zeb could respond, “and yet, it is a part of life that the unexpected does occur.” She gave him a smile. “Besides, Master, you have been quite active in the hypnosis community of late. It is a fact that you have made several enemies... enemies that would surely make a move during a moment of perceived weakness, should it arise. The Lotus does not have a security detail. Is it not best that I be present, just in case?”

Zeb scowled. On one hand, she was basically stating that she knew better than he and that he needed her around for his protection. It was an arrogant assumption for a mere thrall to assert. Yet... on the other hand, her logic was sound. As much as it stung his pride, Sasha had made a good point, and he was if nothing else a prudent man.

A fact that his thrall knew quite well, and she occasionally, annoyingly, used it to her advantage.

“Very well,” he grudgingly conceded, noting her smile widening. “You may come with me. Just be aware that you are in for a very boring day, standing in a corner watching me work.”

“Believe me, my Master,” Sasha replied, eyes twinkling in delight, “being with you is always a joy. And seeing you work up close, will be anything but boring.”

* * *

The sound of footsteps alerted Janet to the man’s presence just before he stepped into view. The cook flashed him a brilliant smile, nodding as he approached. “Good Morning, Mr. Sutherland. How are you this morning?”

The man yawned, waving a hand dismissively. “Oh, I can’t complain. Still getting used to the accommodations, but all in all, nothing to complain about. Your boss really went all out in creating this place for us,” he said, then shrugged. “Well, I guess I should say, OUR boss now since my boys and I are officially on staff.” He yawned again, walking over to the nearby coffee pot, and pouring himself a mug. “Mmmm... yes, definitely needed that. So... how do we handle breakfast here? I was never briefed on that situation earlier.”

“Breakfast will be served at your compound starting at seven a.m.,” Tiffani replied, entering the kitchen to join them. “Sorry, I forgot to mention that earlier. After Janet finishes preparing the Master’s breakfast, she will head over and begin making breakfast for you and your men there. It will be a typical buffet-style spread, Mr. Sutherland, so if there is anything specific that you or your men want, please let us know and we can accommodate you. Master stated that you and your men were to receive anything you require to better fulfill your duties.”

“Ah, thanks, that’s good to know, “ the former Sergeant replied, taking another hefty drink of coffee. “Oh, and please, call me Grant. I’m not a sergeant anymore, and Mr. Sutherland makes me sound like my father.”

Tiffani gave him a smile. “Very well, Grant. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Grant considered. “Well, it’s probably nothing, and maybe it is overstepping my bounds, but as head of security, I feel like I should say something.” He sighed, frowning slightly. “I noticed that, er... Master Zeb... geez, that is gonna take a while to get used to... Master Zeb didn’t come home last night. His car hasn’t returned through the gates. And, I seem to recall that several of you guys were in a bit of a tizzy... something about him passing out at The Lotus a few days ago?”

Tiffani’s smile faded slightly. “Yes, that’s true. Master Zeb collapsed briefly. However, he has since recovered and is doing just fine. Sasha went out to meet him yesterday, and has reported back that he is in good health.”

“Okay, that’s good to know,” Grant replied. “But that still doesn’t explain why he hasn’t returned home yet.”

Tiffani merely shrugged. “Master Zeb comes and goes as he pleases. It’s not our job to monitor him, only to serve him as needed.”

Grant scowled. “Well, what about me? How am I supposed to provide security for him if he simply decides to up and leave on a whim, and I don’t know where he is or what he is up to?”

The maid let out a soft sigh. “With all due respect, Grant, that is not your duty. You and your security force are being paid to safeguard this house, this property, and those of us that reside here. Master Zebediah is more than capable of looking after himself. And in the event he needs assistance, he has Sasha ready to step in. No offense to you, sir, but between the two of you, Sasha is much better qualified as a bodyguard.”

Grant merely grunted in response, drinking from his mug. It stung his pride a bit to hear it said aloud, but the girl was right. He had personally seen Zeb and his thrall sparring, had witnessed the impressive woman’s fighting ability, and he knew he couldn’t hold a candle to her. Still, it rankled more than a bit to left out of the loop and forced to operate on limited or second-hand information. In his previous jobs, he had insisted on having full disclosure and up-to-date Intel on every aspect of his security duties. Knowing every aspect of his client’s schedule, their comings and goings, helped him better prepare for any eventualities that might occur.

But... that isn’t really the case this time, is it? he asked himself. And the girl is right. I’m basically guarding the house, rather than the owner this time. And yeah, he’s pretty much implanted into my brain as the one in charge of things, it is not my place to question his decisions. Still, I can’t help but be concerned about his personal safety as well; old habits…

A soft buzzing sound reclaimed his attention, and Tiffani stood up briefly, sliding her cell phone from her back pocket. “Oh!” she remarked aloud, reading her text message. “Another update from Sasha. She is with Master at his workplace, the White Lotus Spa. Everything is going well, and she is merely observing him as he works.”

“Ah, well that’s good to know. Any word on if and when he’s returning to the mansion?”

“She didn’t say,” Tiffani replied, walking over to the stove. “Still, I wouldn’t worry too much. We all have our duties, after all. Whether or not Master is here, we still follow our instructions and do our assigned jobs. We are here to serve and obey. If something comes up, I am sure Master will let us know.”

“Yeah... I suppose you’re right,” Grant replied ruefully. “Well then, I’ll head back over to the barracks and let the guys know what’s up with morning chow. Guess I’ll see you in...” he checked his watch, “another twenty minutes or so? I’m hoping for biscuits and gravy, with hash browns,” he added.

Grant was grinning as he left, coffee mug in hand.

“Certainly, Sir,” Janet called after him. “I’ll do my best.”

Tiffani nodded as well. In truth, she rather liked the former Sergeant. He seemed to be a rather trustworthy and disciplined man. Of course, since her Master had requested him specifically to serve as their security head, it only stood to reason. Yes, I think he’s a good man, she thought to herself, helping Janet finish preparing the food for the rest of the staff. I think he’ll fit in quite well here, once he learns to relax a bit.

* * *

“Hmph. I can’t believe this,” Brittany Van Buren mumbled loudly, arms crossed at her chest. She sat idly atop the massage table, naked aside from her towel, her bare foot kicking idly as she waited for her masseur to finish his preparation. “It’s bad enough I get charged an arm and a leg for these stupid sessions,” she complained, continuing her rant, “but then lately I keep having to reschedule and reschedule! I mean, gaaawwd! Talk about unprofessional!”

“Well, Ms. Van Buren, I am sorry,” Zeb replied calmly, testing the heated oil’s temperature, nodding in satisfaction, “but sometimes the unexpected occurs. There was a medical emergency the other day, and my skills were needed. It could not be helped. Regardless, I am here now, on my scheduled day off, to take all of the clients that were forced to reschedule. Surely that should suffice?”

The bleach blonde debutante sniffed, flipping her hair arrogantly. “As if. You said there was a ‘medical emergency’ right? You’re a massager, not a doctor. What kind of emergency could YOU have handled?” she asked, scowling.

Zeb sighed inwardly. “The term is masseur, Ms. Van Buren. And although I am not a doctor, I am well-trained and certified in various medical disciplines as well, including physiology and anatomy,” Satisfied, he brought the heated massage oil over to the table, gesturing for the client to lie down. Grunting, Brittany did so, tossing aside her towel, and exposing her naked back. “Suffice it to say, I did my best for the client then, just as I am doing for you now. So, if you will just lie back and relax, we can begin.”

The blond merely grunted, lying back into position. Her disgruntled arrogance faded, however, once Zeb began his massage. As always, a soft pleasure-filled sigh escaped the young woman’s lips, and a warm comfortable lassitude descended upon her as she slipped into a calm relaxed state. Zeb sighed inwardly as he worked, letting his oil-soaked fingers rub and knead and caress all the tension from the young woman’s body, leading her into a deep hypnotic trance in the process. All the while, he wondered idly why he bothered to put up with such aggravation in the first place.

Most of my clients are just like her, it seems, he mused silently as he moved lower, working on the woman’s toned thighs and calves, shapely and firm from her extensive exercise regimen and pilates classes. It would be easy enough to rewrite their personalities, or simply enslave them, but doing so to every single client I have seems a bit excessive. So... why continue? I certainly do not need the money any longer. Though I do wish to continue occasionally working here at the Lotus, much of my time is occupied with mercenary work. And... now that I have become… what? Acquaintances? Friends? of Lady Casey and Lady Alex, perhaps I should open my schedule a bit more, to be available again to the true hypnotism community in the event I’m needed. He sighed softly, thinking idly of his idol Lady Casey, wishing that it was her lovely naked form he was massaging and caressing instead of the annoying vixen he was currently working on.

And speaking of which, he mused, frowning as he worked on the blonde’s long slender, and narrow bare feet, pressing deep into her arches and instead, forcing groans and sighs of pleasure from her, it’s about time I dealt with Ms. Van Buren.

“Brittany,” he prompted, “you are deeply hypnotized. You will listen to my words, and you will obey them. Do you understand?”

The blonde nodded softly. “Yes, Master,” she answered blankly. “I hear. I understand. I will obey.”

A slow smile creased his lips as he stared down at the entranced girl. Despite her overly bitchy and self-entitled attitude, she was quite a beauty. Like most of his clients, she prided herself on her figure, staying fit and trim through aerobics and sports, in her case, tennis. The end result was a smooth, fit, nicely toned, and well-tanned body made even more enticing by the fact that she was completely and absolutely under his control.

“Now, slave Brittany,” Zeb replied, unzipping his pants, “you have already paid your fee for this massage session. However, it is now time for you to pay your Master in a more… substantial form. Rise from the table, and kneel down,” he commanded, nodding in satisfaction as she obeyed. Moving forward, he revealed his cock, already hard and erect, dangling idly before her. Despite her trance, Brittany’s eyes widened, and her mouth instinctively dropped open in anticipation, a fact that was not missed by Zeb.

“Yes, slave, you know all too well what this means. It is time to put that mouth of yours to its proper, intended use. Suck me off, slave,” he commanded, allowing the girl to take him into her waiting mouth with relish. Months and months of conditioning had prompted her reaction, an almost desperate hunger, literal and figurative, to please her Master. Surprisingly, she had needed little training in the art, either naturally gifted or, more likely, hours and hours of practice with her boyfriends or lovers over the years. It actually made a kind of sense; with her extremely annoying attitude, she had to have SOME way to attract and keep a potential lover interested.

“Mmmmmm… yes, yes, just like that,” Zeb moaned softly, much enjoying the woman’s talented tongue. Normally, he could keep his arousal at bay, and prolong the session nearly indefinitely; he was on a schedule, however, with more clients to see and a backlog to work through, so he simply took his pleasure, and moved in, cumming hard and deep several minutes later, giving the entranced Brittany what she subconsciously desired.

“Not bad,” he commended, tucking himself back in and straightening his clothes once more. He actually felt a slight pang of regret that he’d decided to release her. As annoying as it was dealing with her awake and aware, he would indeed miss her skill at fellatio. Sending her back up onto the massage table, he decided to finish the session quickly and prepare for the next one.

Zeb commanded her to repeat back all of the commands he had given her over the months—the desire to return every week for another appointment, to submit to and obey him completely when she entered his office, to serve his sexual needs in any way he desired, to forget the details of their sessions afterward, remembering only having the most relaxing and enjoyable massage ever, and to add a substantial gratuity to his fee when departing. All the same basic instructions he had given to all of his clients. He nodded, taking a moment to consider his words.

“As of now, all of those commands are abolished,” he stated firmly. “You will no longer feel a need or compulsion to return to this spa for a treatment every week. In fact, once you arrive back home, you will come to the sudden realization that you have spent an exorbitant amount of money at this facility over the past several months.” His lips twisted into a smirk. “You will not seek to get reimbursement, as you are more than happy with the results of each visit. You will, however, seek other, less expensive spas to visit from now on.”

“Less expensive... yes...” she replied in affirmative.

Zeb proceeded to remove all traces of mental tampering from his subject as he massaged her, leaving her with only vague foggy memories of each session, and a loose, pleasantly relaxed body. Waking her a few moments later, Brittany yawned and stretched, staring up at him briefly with a sleepy smile, before returning back to her normal bitchy self. “Uuuhhh... yeah, that hit the spot,” she commented, retrieving her towel, and wrapping it around herself as her masseur began cleaning up. “I gotta say, you, like, totally made me wait forever for this... but fuck, this was worth it! Mmmmm... I feel like I was just, like, reborn!” A slight frown slid over her face momentarily, before she shook her head. “Oh, and I’m like, hella thirsty. Can I, like, get a mineral water or something? Gaaawddd!”

“Of course,” he replied, handing her a bottled water, “happy to be of service.” He let out a soft sigh as the woman quickly dressed, then sashayed out of the room. A moment later, a glass of ice water appeared at his side. Zeb smiled, nodding. “Thank you, Sasha,” he said, taking the offered glass. “I must say, you never fail to impress me. An hour-long session, and Brittany never even noticed you were here.”

“Thank you, Master,” she replied demurely, stepping back to her corner. “Your training has helped immensely.” Indeed, despite her calm reaction, she was overjoyed at his praise. Neither a hypnotist nor mentalist, with no magical abilities of her own, she was however extensively trained in espionage and stealth. She had learned early on how to suppress her breathing and slow her heartbeat, to remain absolutely motionless to avoid detection, but with her Master’s training and hypnotic reinforcement, she had taken blending in to a whole other level. She’d even become rather skilled at blanking her mind as well, lowering her presence, not quite to the level that a skilled hypnotist could use to become invisible, but enough that most normal people failed to notice her even when she was only a few feet away. All she needed was a shadow to blend into, and she could effectively vanish from sight.

“I trust you were not too bored,” Zeb continued, drinking deeply, letting out another sigh. “I did warn you that watching me work would be tedious at best.”

Sasha shook her head. “I found it fascinating to watch you work, my Master,” she stated instead. “And, despite my own desires, I restrained myself from… joining in,” she added with a smirk, that slowly faded again. “The only thing tedious was listening to each of those disrespectful harlots criticizing you!” She scowled. “I was truly hard pressed to keep from burying a knife into the last one’s spine for what she said to you.”

Zeb merely chuckled. “I have dealt with worse. Besides, she will no longer be a problem. I plan to sever ties with the rest of my extensive client list as well.” He shrugged. “It is not as if I need them, after all. I work here as more of a distraction... a way to fill some time and have something akin to a normal life outside of the True Hypnosis world.”

“I see. Then, Master, might I ask why you did not also release the previous two clients that you saw?”

“Anna and Maddison? Both of them suffer from actual physical injuries,” he explained. “Their need for physical therapy and extensive sports massage to help them recover is why I decided to keep them.” He smirked as he finished preparing the room for his next client. “I will adjust their attitudes if they end up becoming long-term clients, however; famous athletes or not, I will not put up with disrespect for very long.”

Sasha giggled at that. “Of that, I am quite aware.” She glanced up at the clock. “Master, it is noon. Will you be eating now? I can go and retrieve something if you wish.”

Zeb considered. “I have an hour until my next client shows. I am feeling in the mood for something a bit different today. Order us something from the Bonefish Grill. You know what I like and feel free to get whatever you want. In the meantime, I need to call and check in on my Gram Gram. Meet me back in my office.”

“Of course, Master,” Sasha replied, nodding. “I’ll be back shortly with lunch!”

Alone, in his private office, he pulled out his cell phone and dialed the number. After only a few seconds, the phone answered and he was greeted by a familiar voice. “Hello, Shari? It’s me. I am just checking in to see—”

“Young Master Zebediah!” Shari exclaimed, sounding delighted. “It is good to hear from you! How are you? I hope you are well!”

Zeb chuckled.

“I am quite well, actually. In fact, I was calling to see how you and Gram Gram are doing. I recently had the most interesting conversation with Mistress Alexandria, the granddaughter of the Archdomina. She mentioned that you and Gram Gram are with her…?”

“Yes, actually, they are here right now, talking,” Shari replied. “It’s a very long and complicated story. A lot has happened since last we spoke.”

“Indeed. I was told that Gram Gram... her condition has... improved somewhat?”

“It has. She and Archdomina Annika have reconciled their past differences and are friends once more; the Archdomina was instrumental in securing a cure for your grandmother’s malady. She has begun to recover, and will do so in full.”

Zeb let out a sigh of relief. “That is great to hear. Lady Alexandria did give me the news, but... it is comforting to hear it again from the source.”

“Oh! Speaking of which,” Shari cut in, “just a moment, please.”

There was a moment of silence, muffled voices, then: “Son! Is that you?”

Zeb blushed slightly. “Yes, Gram Gram, it is I. How are you feeling?” He blinked at the unfamiliar sound that issues forth from the speaker, taking him a second to recognize the sound: laughter.

“Oh, Zebediah, my boy, I am better than I have been in ages! Hypnothea be praised! I have my health back... my strength! Best of all, I have my friend back as well,” his Gram Gram said happily.

Zeb nodded softly, considering his words. This was a concern he’d had, and one which he’d been wondering exactly how to address. “Yes... your friend, the Archdomina. I just told Shari that I met her granddaughter a day ago. She told me the situation, but...”

“But you needed to hear it from me personally to be sure,” Ophelie replied primly. “And, let me guess, you are concerned about how suddenly we have reconciled? You fear that, perhaps, I have been hypnotized, enslaved by my old friend, and am with her now under duress?”

Zeb blushed again. His grandmother was as astute as she was direct. “I, er... would have phrased it a bit more... tactfully,” he managed, before a loud burst of laughter sounded over the phone. He frowned. “Gram Gram... do you have me on speakerphone?” he asked.

“Indeed she does, young man,” an unfamiliar voice spoke up. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am Annika Pemberton. I’ve heard so much about you from your grandmother. And please allow me to thank you for helping Lady Casey to recover. I heard from her and Alex afterward, and they told me how you risked yourself to restore her back to her old self again.”

“Ah, um, t-thank you, Archdomina,” Zeb replied, a bit thrown off by the gratitude and sincerity in her voice. “I... um, I don’t know what to say. Honestly, I merely helped guide Lady Casey into fixing the injury herself. She did all the work—”

“Oh, nonsense!” Annika cut in. “You’re much too modest. Both of them did nothing but sing your praises. Hell, they said that you strained yourself in helping so much that you passed out cold afterward. That’s quite a hell of a thing to do for someone who’s a virtual stranger to you.”

“Oh, well, I’d think Lady Casey is hardly a stranger to my grandson,” Ophelie’s voice cut in. Zeb groaned inwardly, imagining her smirk. “Young Zeb has been following her career for a very long time. He’s perhaps her biggest fan.”

“Gram Gram...”

“Shush, boy, don’t interrupt,” the old woman chided. “I’m merely telling Nika about how much of a crush you have on her former student.”

“A crush you say?” Nika replied, sounding equally amused. “Well, my Casey is certainly a bit of a heartbreaker. I was overjoyed when she and young Alex became a couple. They do fit each other quite well.” Her tone shifted, taking on an almost conspiratory quality. “I’ll let you in on a little secret, however. She and Alex commented that they do find you quite attractive, Zeb... in more ways than one. I just hope you have a lot of stamina if they decide to play with you sometime. One of them alone would be a handful, but BOTH?” She chuckled aloud. “Well, I certainly wish you luck, dear. You’ll need it!”

“A... Archdomina?!?” Zeb replied, stunned by her reaction.

“Oh now, Zebediah,” the elderly woman chided him. “So formal! Please, dear, call me Nika. Oh, better yet, call me, Great Aunt Nika! Yes... I rather like the sound of that.”

“Great... Aunt...” Zeb murmured, head spinning. He wondered idly when he’d lost control of the conversation.

“Well, I suppose she has a point,” Ophelie chimed back in. “Nika and I were raised together as sisters, after all. Her mother took me in and adopted me, made me part of her family.” Zeb blinked, again, totally surprised by this sudden revelation. In all the time he’d been with her, his grandmother had never revealed that little tidbit. “I think it’s quite cute, actually,” Ophelie added, chuckling. “Nika’s always been a bit of a stickler for underlings showing the proper respect, but with family, formality goes right out the window.”

“Ophie! Don’t put it that way, you make me sound like an ogre!” Nika exclaimed. “Besides, you’re far more particular about people showing respect than me. I’m MUCH more laid back than you!”

Zeb sighed deeply, rubbing his forehead. He felt a slight headache coming on. “Ladies, I—”

“Laid back? Hmph. You’re an uptight little bitch, is what you are,” Ophelie replied smugly. “I remember that time back in ’67 when we were out on the town and that group of guys whistled in appreciation, saying ‘wow, you look hot, babe’. He paid you a compliment, and what did you do? You hypnotized him and made him and his friends run out into the streets naked! They all ended up getting arrested for indecent exposure!”

“Gram, Gram—”

“So? You were right there with me,” Nika shot back. “And, as I recall, you were laughing right along with me!”

“Er, Great Aunt Nika, I—”

“Well, it WAS rather funny,” Ophelie admitted. “But you can’t claim yourself to be easygoing or laid back if—”

“LADIES, PLEASE!” Zeb cut in loudly. “Forgive me for interrupting this... er, interesting conversation,” he continued, “but I only called in to see how Gram Gram was doing, healthwise. I am actually still at work, on my lunch break, and I need to return to work soon.”

“Oh, well, why didn’t you say so earlier?” Ophelie asked, nonplussed. “You go and finish your shift son. I’m doing quite well. We can talk more later.”

“Or, better yet, you can feel free to come by and visit, and see for yourself. A great nephew of mine should not be working, anyway,” Nika added pleasantly.

“Wait… See her... but, Arch, er... Auntie Nika? I thought you only allowed women to visit your compound?” Zeb asked.

“That is for other hypnotists, those seeking guidance or favors,” she replied dismissively.

“I... see…” Zeb replied carefully.

“Zeb, you are Ophelie’s grandson. You’re her family, and that makes you mine as well. You will always be welcome here.”

Zeb smiled a bit at that. “Well, Auntie Nika. I thank you for the invitation, I am honored. I’m a bit busy for the next few days, but I promise to come and visit soon.”

They said their goodbyes and Zeb hung up the phone with a soft sigh, feeling completely drained. A moment later, Sasha returned with a large basket of food.

“Is everything okay with your Gram Gram, Master?” she asked, noting his expression.

“Yes, she is doing quite well,” he replied with a tired grin, “though after that conversation, I fear I might be having a stroke.” Shaking his head, he accepted the platter of food from his thrall and sat down at his desk to eat.

* * *

Robert McKinley frowned slightly, glancing up at his monitor as the sound of a car engine approaching caught his attention. His frown increased as he spotted the vehicle, a gunmetal gray 2021 Chrysler 300S, pulling up the front gate. He’d noticed the vehicle passing by the front gate twice before, only to now find it pulling up to his location. Cursing softly, he walked to the front of the guard house window just as the driver hit the buzzer. “Hello. May I help you?” he asked politely.

“Ah, yes,” a dark-haired man replied, smiling thinly, peering out at him from behind the driver’s seat. “Is the owner of the home present?”

“No, I’m afraid not,” Robert replied. “Do you have business with him today? Do you have an appointment?” he asked, peering down at his clipboard.

“No, no, nothing like that,” the man replied smoothly. “You said ‘him’. I was under the impression that this property was owned by Carmen Rios. Is that not true? Doesn’t she still live here?”

“Yes and no. Miss Carmen does still live at this address, but she no longer owns the house. Do you have business with her?”

“Ah, I suppose, you could say that,” the man answered, glancing around. “I’m a... an old friend of the family, you could say. Is she in? I’d really like to talk to her.”

Robert’s scowl returned. “I’m afraid Miss Carmen is out at the moment. She left to run an errand. If you like, I can let her know you were looking for her, Mister...?”

“Oh, no, that’s quite all right,” the man said dismissively. “No need to put yourself out. I’ll just come back later,” he added, pulling the car in reverse. “Have a good day!”

Robert watched the man drive off. considering. The encounter was a bit strange. The man hadn’t seemed particularly dangerous or threatening, though he had asked a lot of questions. And not giving his name or wanting to leave a message was definitely unusual. The whole thing seemed suspicious. It’s probably nothing, he reasoned to himself, pulling up the security footage, probably just some weirdo. Still, the Master does have enemies, and it is better to be safe than sorry. I guess I’ll pass this along to the Chief and let him figure out how to handle it. Noting the license plate number, he sent a quick text to Grant Sutherland’s cell, informing him of the situation, then returned to his post...

* * *

Heading across the parking lot to his car, Zeb paused, reaching back to retrieve his phone from his pocket. He smiled upon seeing “Tiny Tough” on the screen.

“Lady Casey! What a pleasant surprise,” he answered cheerfully, “And perfect timing! I am just leaving work. How are you and the Lady Alexandria doing this afternoon?”

“Oh, we’re awesome; still recovering from Peggy’s little ceremony,” she replied. “I was just checking up on you, actually. I take it you’re fully recovered from the other day?”

“Yes, quite so; thank you for asking. It seems a couple of days’ rest was all I needed to fully restore my vigor,” he replied.

“That’s fucking great! So... what are you up to? You said you were just leaving work?”

“Yes,” he replied, gesturing to Sasha to go ahead and start the car. “I had to work through the backlog of clients that I rescheduled.”

“Yeah... sorry about that,” Casey replied sheepishly. “Next time I have a major life and death emergency, I’ll try and coordinate it better with your schedule.”

Zeb laughed aloud, recognizing her sense of humor at play. “I would appreciate that. Or, better yet, you could simply avoid such emergencies entirely.”

Casey laughed.

“Anyway, if you’re free, I was thinking maybe we could meet up. I’d love to introduce you to the rest of my friends. Particularly Mariah. I really think she might be able to give you some insight into that problem you mentioned earlier…”

Zeb sighed.

“Casey, I would love to meet up with you, truly; however…” he said slowly.

“However?” Tiny Tough asked.

“I have a small matter to take care of first,” he replied sighing again. “A mercenary contract, to be precise. It is a last-minute request from a previous client that asked for me by name. But it is not complicated... it should only take an hour or two at the most. And I have nothing planned after that.”

“A mercenary job, eh? Sounds interesting! Would you like some help?” she offered. “Now that I’m back on my feet, I’m fucking dying to put these new powers to use!”

Zeb chuckled again. “I very much appreciate the offer, sincerely, but I can handle it. It is a simple infiltration job. I’m bringing my thrall Sasha along simply as ‘eye candy’. Believe me, your skills would be wasted on this.”

“Aw, well, fine,” she said, faux pouting. “If you’re sure. Your loss though... I wouldn’t mind being your ‘eye candy’ if I got to see you in action.”

For the third time today, Zeb found himself blushing intensely. The fiery hypnotists’ flirting always knocked him off his guard; few people in the world could make him lose his composure, but the woman known as Tiny Tough seemed capable of doing so at every turn.

“I... er, will contact you as soon as I am finished with my assignment,” he stammered. “I’m... very much looking forward to seeing you again, and Mistress Alexandria as well. I am also excited to meet your friends as well!”

Casey’s laughter over the phone was enticing. “Zeb, just relax, okay? I told you, you are a friend. We already like you. You don’t have to try so hard.” She paused, speaking unintelligibly to someone for a moment. “Sorry, Freckles is calling me to come to do something, so I’ll let you go. Give me a call when you’re done with your little mercenary thing.”

“I will. I promise,” he replied, ending the call.

Sighing, he placed his phone in his pocket and slid into the passenger seat of his car. He glanced over at Sasha, who merely smiled knowingly. “What?” he asked, eyebrow raised.

“Nothing, Master,” she said, still smiling, as she pulled the car in reverse. “Nothing at all.”

Once they were on the road, Zeb explained in detail the specifics of the job. A certain man was being kept under guard at the Springhill Suites Hotel, in Eagle, Idaho. Rafael Delgado, an enforcer for a local racketeering group had decided to turn state’s evidence, informing on his former boss, in exchange for protection and his record wiped clean once a conviction was made. His client had requested that Zeb intervene, slip past the federal agents guarding him, and ‘convince’ Rafael to leave the safety of their protective custody, allowing his enemies to take him down before the trial. Sasha listened impassively to the details, but after he finished, she felt prompted to ask a question.

“Forgive me for asking, my Master,” she asked, choosing her words carefully. “But... I thought it was your policy not to get involved with jobs that put you into conflict with law enforcement? It seems we will be dealing not with local police, but federal agents.”

Zeb sighed, nodding. “That is true. Normally, I would not get involved. But this situation is special. It seems that Mr. Delgado’s reputation is well deserved. Before turning on his former employer, he participated in an armed robbery at a small convenience store. He shot and killed the clerk to make his escape.” His eyes narrowed. “That clerk happened to be my client’s teenage son, who was working at the store part-time; his father had made him get a job to learn some responsibility.”

Sasha’s expression hardened.

“He killed a teenage boy? And the authorities are giving him sanctuary instead of locking him away in jail?”

“Indeed. The fact that they are valuing his testimony in shutting down an illegal gambling operation more than punishing him as a murderer makes it easy for me to feel no guilt about ruining their plans and sending Mr. Delgado to his fate.” He sighed heavily. “You know my stance on taking life unnecessarily. In this case, I admit I am strongly tempted to disregard that notion. Very strongly tempted…”

In response, Sasha drew a knife hidden within her clothing so easily it seemed to simply appear in her hand like magic, while smoothly continuing to maneuver the vehicle with her other hand.

“Simply say the word, Master,” she stated her expression ice cold. “Command it, and the man’s blood will paint the entire suite.”

Zeb patted her leg gently. “We shall consider that our contingency. For now, we will follow the plan, to simply hypnotize Delgado into leaving custody and letting the syndicate’s men deal with him. Just be ready in case I change my mind.”

Sasha nodded, the knife vanishing as quickly as it had appeared as she brought the car to a halt at their destination.

A moment later, the two walked into the hotel lobby, both carrying rolling suitcases. Zeb, still dressed casually, had donned a pair of sunglasses while a heavy gold chain graced his neck and he carried his favorite gold pocket-watch in his front right trouser pocket. Sasha had taken a moment to style her hair, forgoing her usual simplistic ponytail for an upswept do, the ends of her long midnight locks laying lightly over her left shoulder. Her strappy, black high-heeled sandals clicked loudly on the tiled floor as they walked up to the front desk, causing the attendant, a short curvaceous blonde, to glance up at them. A slight frown curled her lips as she sat up straight to greet them.

“Hello, and welcome to the Springhill Suites. Can I help you?”

“Yes,” Zeb spoke brusquely, sliding over a credit card. “Joshua Dempsey, and Elizabeth Dempsey, checking in, please. I hope our suite has the hot tub that I requested, and I’d like privacy for the duration. No visits from housekeeping, all right? If I need something, I’ll call the front desk.” He pulled his pocket watch from his pocket, dangling it by its chain, holding it up in front of her face before making a show of opening it to check the time.

The woman’s scowl deepened. “I... I’m sorry, Mr, Dempsey, but there must be some mistake. The hotel is currently closed for the time being—”

“Closed? What do you mean, closed?” Zeb demanded, snapping the watch shut and leaning up close to her. “This is a bloody hotel, innit? How can ya stand there and say yer closed? There are three black SUVs parked just outside in the parking lot, so I know you’ve got people staying here!” Grunting, he dangled the watch again, seemingly a nervous habit, letting it sway idly back and forth. Blinking, the blonde found her gaze studying it as it swung

“And don’t try and say that you simply lost our reservations,” Sasha added, managing to suppress her Russian accent, sounding posh British. stepping up as well, snapping the clerk out of her momentary daze. “I sent them through myself three weeks ago, and even received a confirmation from your service!”

The blonde blinked, caught a bit off guard. “I... I’m sorry about that. But, er, there was a.... a water leak, up on the third floor, two days ago,” she explained. “A... a major floor, several rooms with water damage. We shut down the hotel and sent notifications to everyone, apologizing for the inconvenience and transferring to another hotel in our chain. Did you not get the notice?”

“You sent a notice?” Zeb asked, incredulously. “Lady, we’ve been mobile for the past two days traveling, by plane, then train, then car, just to get here. We haven’t received any kind of notice from anyone!” Grunting, he swung the pocket watch again, again recapturing the woman’s gaze.

The woman sighed. “Well, I am again very... very, um, sorry...” she began, frowning slightly, “but we... we can’t accommodate you... at least not tonight. I’m afraid... you’ll have... you’ll need to... to stay somewhere else... I am sorry.”

Smirking slightly, Zeb leaned forward, holding the watch directly in front of her face now. “Now, now, my dear. Be honest with me. There really isn’t a big water leak here, is there?”

He was concentrating on projecting his hypnotic energy through the watch, its golden surface glinting seductively as it reflected the light into the woman’s eyes.

Suddenly dazed and lightheaded, the blonde shook her head no, her eyes following the watch. “I... n-no, there... there isn’t... a water leak...” she mumbled softly, her awareness continuing to slowly fade. “Was told... to turn ant clients... away... no rooms available...” she continued.

“Good, Very good. It feels good to tell the truth, doesn’t it... Cyndi?” he asked, reading her name tag. His smile matched her own as she nodded blankly. “Yes, it does feel good to tell the truth. But you know what feels even better? It feels much much better to... submit... to let yourself go... to just relax... and sleep. Drift off into a nice... relaxing... hypnotic... slumber…relax and listen to the sound of my voice…sleep…”

Zeb quickly and smoothly launched into a hypnotic induction, and the unsuspecting woman was quickly ensnared.

“Nhhhhh... sleepy... feels nice... mmmmm... sleeping... now...” Cyndi managed to mumble as her eyes fluttered and then slammed shut.

Zeb let out a quiet sigh of relief. His pendulum skills were still lacking compared to his other talents. Luckily, he’d gotten rather good at disguising his actions and distracting his subjects until they were mostly entranced before using the standard induction to bring them under. He glanced over at Sasha, only to sigh inwardly, finding his thrall staring vacantly ahead as well, her expression as blank and empty as Cyndi’s. She wasn’t fully under, yet, but close to the tipping point. “Sasha!” he prompted, shaking her by the shoulder to awaken her. “Come now. It’s too soon to be drifting off. We have work to do.”

“Ah... sorry, Master,” she said, sheepishly, dropping the accent and returning to her normal tone. She shook her head briefly, shaking off the cobwebs. “Classical conditioning. I am too easily entranced by the sound of your voice.”

Zeb merely rolled his eyes, turning his attention back to Cyndi. A quick bit of pointed questioning confirmed what he’d already suspected; the feds had instructed her to turn away any new clients, and to keep the top floor private and locked down. She’d also been instructed to notify the agent in charge of anyone suspicious that entered, or asked too many questions about what was going on.

“And how many agents are there in the hotel at this time?” he asked.

“There are four total, Sir,” Cyndi answered blankly. “Two stationed in the suite with Mr. Delgado, one in the suite next door, and one stationed outside the hallway in front of the elevator.”

Zeb nodded. “Very good. Are there any others that you are aware of? Any agents that come and go in shifts?”

“No, Sir. Just the four in residence now. One of them will occasionally leave to run an errand or to the store, while the other three remain.”

“I see. Very well, Cyndi. Listen carefully. In just a moment, when we leave, you will awaken from your trance. You will not remember speaking to us. You will not remember us arriving at all. You will only remember a nice, boring, uneventful shift. Furthermore, you will ignore any odd sounds or occurrences that you hear later. Finally, you will completely ignore the sight of Sasha and me later when we depart, forgetting that we were ever here. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Sir. I understand.”

Satisfied, Zeb and his thrall made their way to the stairs. Stopping at the second-floor landing, he took a moment to consider his approach. He was confident in his ability to bypass the door guard, and disable both agents inside the suite to reach his target. The problem came from the agent in the adjoining room. An unknown quantity, there was no way of knowing if or when he might check in with the others, or simply slip into the target’s room unannounced.

“Sasha, you will take the stairs up to the third floor, while I take the elevator. Its opening should attract the door guard. I will take care of him, allowing you to move unseen to the adjoining suite with the lone agent. While you take him down, I will move into the main suite, take care of the two agents inside, and deal with the target directly. Afterward, I will meet you in the adjoining suite, and we will make our way back down to the lobby.”

The former assassin nodded. “Understood, Master. It will be, how you say, ‘piece of cake’!”

Heading to the elevator, he slipped inside, focusing inward and clearing his mind. He had a plan of action, knew what steps to take, and all he needed to do now was follow through. As the elevator began to rise, he closed his eyes, and focused his power, suppressing his presence and sending his power outward in a wave, a subconscious command to ignore his presence, for eyes to glance past him, ears to deafen at his presence, and minds to simply forget what they had seen.

The elevator pinged, opening on the third floor. Startled, the door guard stood up from his chair, radio in his right hand, gun in its holster, but clutched tightly in his left if needed. Approaching the elevator, he peered inside, frowning in confusion. “Huh? Wh... there’s nothing there?” Glancing around inside, including the ceiling, he shrugged and turned around, heading back to his seat.

Only to freeze as a pair of arms grabbed him from behind.

“MMMMPPHHH!” he cried out, his voice muffled by the hand around his mouth. Zeb continued to clutch the man close and sent pulses of hypnotic energy into him through their contact. The man’s struggles weakened and slowed, then eventually stopped. A quiet sigh escaped his lips once the hand at his mouth slid away; his eyes were wide and glassy.

“Very good. Listen very carefully. You are now completely hypnotized. Your mind is empty and vacant,” he intoned, still sending his energy into the dazed man, sending him deeper and deeper into trance. “You will not resist. You cannot resist. You can only listen, and obey me.”

“Listen... and obey...” the man parroted back, nodding woodenly.

The hypnotist gave the entranced agent his orders, then quickly made his way to the stairwell, gesturing for his thrall to make her way in.

“Here, a keycard,” he stated, handing it to Sasha, “courtesy of our new friend. Your target is in room three-sixteen.” Zeb moved to the adjacent door, holding his own keycard. “Of course, it needs not be said, but I shall say so regardless: be careful. I do not want any blood spilled if possible... but if it is a choice between yours and his, then make sure it is not yours.” Surprised by the sentiment, not trusting her voice, Sasha merely nodded.

Moving to his own door, Zeb refocused his aura, using his talent to See the Unseen. While not able to see through walls like x-ray vision, he was able to sense the presence of the individuals inside. There were two inside in the immediate vicinity, one closer to the door, the other further away, both sitting. The farthest one was facing a small compact power source, most likely watching television, meaning he or she would likely be distracted. Plan in him, he slid the card into the reader, hearing the telltale hiss and click sound as the electronic lock disengaged, and opened the door, stepping inside.

“Ah, Graham, about time,” an auburn-haired woman replied over her shoulder, not bothering to glance up. “I was wondering if you were planning to do a food run or not. I was thinking we try Mexican this time,” she suggested, turning around, only to freeze, eyes wide in shock at the sight of her visitor. Before she could act, however, Zeb struck first, gesturing with his hands as he softly chanted a subtle curse.

“Jele epi rete an silans,” he murmured softly, already stepping past the woman as his spell took effect. The woman stiffened, going completely still as her body locked up completely as if paralyzed. Flustered, she could only watch in stunned silence as the invader stepped past her, moving towards her unsuspecting partner, busy watching the football game.

Approaching the second federal agent, Zeb prepared to unleash a second spell, only to freeze himself as the man suddenly pointed a gun at him. “Hold it!” he barked, turning around slowly, keeping the gun trained on his target, smirking. “Nice try, pal. You’re good. Real good. Now sure what you hit my partner with,” he said, gesturing idly to the frozen woman at the table, “but it was a mistake to think you’d get the drop on me that easily.”

Zeb nodded, somewhat impressed. “I’m curious. How did you know I was there?”

The man shrugged. “Frankly, the game wasn’t all that interesting. I heard Agent Oneida call out to Agent Graham earlier, but I didn’t hear him reply. I didn’t pay it much attention, though, until I caught your reflection on the TV screen, sneaking up behind me.” He sighed, lowering the hammer on his gun with an audible “click”. “Now, you are under arrest. Why not tell me who you are and what you’re doing here? Don’t do anything stupid, and I won’t splatter your brains all over the room.”

Smirking, Zeb considered. “Very well. It does not harm to inform you since you will have no use for such information anyway. I am called Lonbraj-la. I am told you have a Mr. Rafael Delgado hidden away here in protective custody. I am here to relieve you of that burden.” He smirked, shifting his stance slightly. “Mr. Delgado is guilty of a number of crimes, including the murder of a convenience store clerk. I intend to see to it that he pays for those crimes.”

“Sorry, pal, not happening,” the agent replied smugly. “Mr. Delgado is a witness to a federal investigation, and he is not leaving our custody until after he testifies. Feel free to take up any problems you have with him after that... assuming you can find him.”

“I am afraid that does not work for me,” Zeb replied idly, making a show of cracking his knuckles. “Instead, I shall deal with Mr. Delgado here and now.” He let out a soft sigh, closing his eyes briefly. “I have no quarrel with you, personally. It would be in your best interests to lower your weapon and allow me to continue unimpeded.” The man simply laughed.

“In my best interests? In case you’ve forgotten the situation, I’m the one holding a loaded gun on you, pal. It’s in YOUR best interests to turn around and leave here, now, before I decide to lock you up for obstruction of justice—”

At which point, Zeb opened his eyes. The man blinked gasping at the sudden change from brown to a brilliant blue. “No, Sir, it is YOU that is impeding justice,” Zeb remarked, holding the man pinned with his gaze. “As for your gun,” he added, walking over, removing it calmly from the man’s grip, disassembling it in a matter of seconds, “that is no longer a concern... uhhhnn...”

he grunted, momentarily dizzy. His eyes flashed, then returned to brown, leaving him slightly winded. Damn. My Serpent’s Gaze just broke. I appear to have used up too much of my aura earlier dealing with the previous agents to maintain it very long. His frown deepened as the sandy-haired man recovered, shaking slightly as the paralysis left his body.

“Shit!” he gasped, bringing up his radio. “Agent Graham! This is Agent Banks! We’re under attack here! I repeat we’re under attack. Get in here on the double!”

Zeb shook his head. “Sorry... but I believe your friend Agent Graham is occupied and in no position to respond.” Grunting, flustered, the man charged, swinging at Zeb, only to grunt in pain as the hypnotist easily dodged and countered. Staggering back, the man brought up both fists, adopting a fighting stance. “Hmm. You’ve studied Aikido, I see,” Zeb commented idly as the man attacked once again, lashing out with a barrage of swift punches and kicks, trying to drive the dark-skinned hypnotist back, hoping to be able to reach Agent Oneida, and her gun lying on the table next to her. Realizing his objective, Zeb allowed himself to be pushed back, giving his opponent room to try and salvage his mission. Ducking a wide arching kick, he waited while the man turned and sprinted to the table, reaching for the gun. Turning back around, however, the man found his target missing, seemingly vanished into thin air.

“Urrrkk!” Robert Banks gasped, struggling as he was grabbed from behind, his arm held and pinned close to him while his throat was being compressed by his captor’s other arm. Zeb held him tightly despite the man’s thrashing, counting softly in his head, waiting as the man’s struggles grew sluggish and uncoordinated, before finally ceasing altogether. Releasing him, he carried the semi-conscious man over to an empty chair, placing him next to his still frozen partner. Sighing, he shook his head.

A simple job, but not without its complications, Zeb observed silently as he took out his pocket watch. “Now then, I want you both to listen to me very closely,” he intoned, swinging the watch before both agent’s eyes. “Follow the watch... let your eyes move with it, following it as it shifts back and forth... back and forth. Just listen to my voice... listen and relax... and let yourself drift...”

A short time later, both agents had been programmed, then released, the cover story Zeb had given them fully implanted into their memories. Satisfied, he approached the connecting door leading to the second suite and knocked twice. “Yeah, yeah, fuck, I’m comin’,” a voice called out from inside. A moment later, it swung open. “Yeah, what do you damned pigs want now?” Rafael Delgado barked, poking his head out.

“What they want is no longer of any consequence,” Zeb replied, surprising the man, stepping into his suite. “What you and I are going to discuss in great detail, Mr. Delgado is what YOU want.”

“What the.... who the FUCK are you?!?” the man yelled, glancing around, concerned. “What are you doing here? Hey! Hey! You dumb fucks! Who is this asshole you let in here, huh? What the FUCK is going on?”

“Calm yourself, Mr. Delgado,” Zeb said gently, placing a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Everything is fine. I am not here to hurt you. As I said, we are just going to have a little talk.” The man’s scowl slowly softened, his eyes fluttering slightly as a slow sleepiness began to seep into him. “And there is nothing wrong with us having a little talk, is there? You’ve already spoken to the agent in charge about the deal you made about testifying in exchange for witness protection and having your record wiped clean, yes?”

“Uhh... y-yeah... I, I talked to them about that, already,” he mumbled, feeling confused and a bit dizzy. Tired. “What... are you... is something wrong? Did something change?” he asked.

Zeb flashed him a brilliant smile. “That depends upon you, Mr. Delgado. As I said before, we just need to talk about exactly what it is that you want.” He sighed softly, pushing more of his energy into the man through his touch, eyes locked onto his. “It must be very hard being locked up in this room all this time... not being able to go out... not being able to leave. Forced to hide away here, like a prisoner. I’m sure there are things out there that you miss... things that you must want... desire... crave... Well, that is why I am here, Mr. Delgado,” he explained even as the man’s eyes glaze over completely. “Now... let’s help you get what it is you crave...”

* * *

“Yeah, yeah, keep the change,” Rafael muttered, tossing a few bills at the taxi driver as he exited, sprinting over to the store’s main entrance. He chuckled to himself as he walked up to the counter, ignoring the strange looks from the men seated at the tables nearby. Noticing him, the clerk moved up to take his order.

“Hi, and welcome to Boise Boba! What can I get you, Sir?”

“Uh, yeah, gimme a Tango Time, Gucci sized, with extra bottom,” the man barked, licking his lips. “Ya know what, add a Peach Ring order as well, the same.” The clerk nodded, slipping back to begin filling the order. “Damn... feels like forever since I’d had one of these damn drinks,” he said aloud.

“Yes, Rafael,” a familiar voice spoke from behind him. “I imagine it has been a while, hasn’t it?”

Turning around, Rafael found himself staring into the eyes of a former co-worker and friend, Eduardo Sanchez, who also worked for his former boss, Carlos Santana. “Eddie? Ah... uh, wh... what are you doing here?” he asked nervously, glancing around, noticing for the first time that all of the other patrons were people that worked for Santana. “What... what’s going on here?”

“Oh, nothing much,” Eddie replied, taking a long, loud sip from the cup of bubble tea clutched in his left hand. “Just thought me and the boys would stop by for a drink. Imagine our surprise when our long-lost pal Rafael decided to stop in as well.”

“Eddie... I...” he began, only to stiffen as he felt the familiar feeling of a metal gun barrel poking him in the side.

“Now, now, Rafael. No need to make a scene,” Eddie replied amicably. “You came all this way for a drink, didn’t you?” he asked as the clerk stepped forward, the pair of cups extended. “Go on, Rafael. You wanted them bad enough to come all the way out here. Go ahead and drink. And enjoy ’em,” Eddie added with a nod as the others seated stood up to join them. “Who knows? They might just be the last ones you ever get...”

Across the street, Zebediah nodded in satisfaction. As promised, he’d contacted the appropriate people in Santana’s group, then delivered the target to the drop-off point. They would mete out Delgado’s punishment themselves. He felt no pity for the man whatsoever; if anything, he felt that Delgado’s callous disregard for life was only coming back to bite him in the proverbial ass.

He did feel a slight bit of guilt towards the federal agents, and the flack they would receive over losing their witness. There were, in essence, merely doing their jobs. Still, cutting a deal with a known criminal, a murderer, willing to overlook his crimes just to get a conviction for someone higher up the food chain, was beyond deplorable. The cover story he’d given them—of Rafael sneaking out, taking advantage of a shift change—would absolve them some of the blame, at least.

Still, the idea of a thug knowingly hunted and marked for death, managing to slip past four federal agents without aid or assistance, leaving just to get a drink, did stretch credibility quite a bit. Zeb had heard rumors of a federal-funded ‘Anti Hypnosis Task Force’ at work in the Boise area, looking into the hypnosis community, but he felt he’d covered his tracks rather well.

The only ones that would even find traces of mental manipulation would be other true hypnotists, he mused, and even then, they’d have to be very very good.

“Are we done here, Master?” Sasha asked, sitting in the driver’s seat.

Zeb nodded. “We are. Let’s head home,” he stated, pulling out his cell phone. “Hello, Lady Casey? It’s Zeb. My little job is all wrapped up, and I’m free for the rest of the night. Where would you like to meet up?” Listening, he nodded, memorizing the directions. “Yes, perfect. I will be there as soon as I can. See you soon!”

* * *

On the other side of town, a gunmetal gray 2021 Chrysler 300S pulled up to a stop in the parking lot of an old abandoned drive-through. A few minutes later, a second car, a black 2021 Mercedes E Class drove up, parking beside the Chrysler. The door opened, and a tall beautiful Latina woman stepped out, followed by two large burly looking men in black suits. The woman was dressed in a scarlet red Prada off-the-shoulder dress, with dark sunglasses covering her vivid hazel-green eyes, several gold bangles on her right wrist, and a gold Christian Dior watch on the left. Her long dark hair was styled with a broad uplift, flowing freely down her back. She wore a pair of matching scarlet Louis Vuitton heels, and a gold ankle bracelet clung snugly around her right ankle. She nodded slightly as the driver of the Chrysler got out to greet her.

“Ah, welcome to Boise, Ms. Rios,” the man said, smiling widely. “I trust you had a pleasant trip?”

“Spare me the small talk. Ricardo,” she replied in a bored, clipped tone. “Did you find out anything?”

Smile fading, the man nodded. “Yes, ma’am. I, er... took a look at your brother’s former estate. Looks like the new owner has upgraded their security quite a bit. Reinforced gate, cameras, lots of fancy new tech, and what looks like a guard barracks on the grounds. I did some digging, and it seems our guy hired an ex-military group to provide twenty-four-hour security.” He shook his head. “Bottom line, short of a small army or a commando team, no one is breaking into that place.”

Viviana Rios sniffed, flipping her hair. “So you say. If I’ve learned one thing over the years, it is that anything is possible... and nothing is unobtainable. It’s all a question of price.” Her eyes narrowed, as she drew a cigarette from her purse, holding it out as one of her bodyguards lit it. “And I am willing to pay whatever it takes to find the person responsible for taking down my brother.”

“I see. So that means we are staying in town for a bit longer then?” the man asked.

“Si. For the time being. Besides,” she replied with a smirk, “I have business to attend to as well, while I am here. Important deals to make, and people to see.” She took a long drag from her cigarette, blowing a perfect smoke ring. “Dealing with this Zebediah Clark, however... that will be pure pleasure.”

Viviana took her cell phone from her designer clutch and dialed a number.

“Hello, Mistress Katja. I am in Boise, and ready to meet at your convenience…” she said politely.