The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Better Off

Chapter One

Disclaimer: Contains fictional material intended for adult audiences.

* * *

“You know the rules, ma’am. You have to wait for the doctor.”

Katie glared up at the towering man, easily three heads above hers. His grim demeanor couldn’t shake her, but she also knew his expression wouldn’t waver even with a few kind words and a batting of her eyes. It hadn’t worked the first few times, at least.

She held her watch up above her head and pointed at it. “Look, see? It’s like five more minutes, Hans. Do I really need to wait?” She got him to frown even more, a small defiant victory of her own at his expense. She didn’t care that he didn’t like the name she gave him, nor did she care to learn his real one.

“You gotta wait,” he said in that tired tone of his. “Perhaps you’d prefer to do that outside again?”

Katie didn’t want to back down, but she knew that being obstinate would get her nowhere. At least there was air conditioning inside, a well enough reason to suffer the ogre. She slumped her shoulders in defeat and wrinkled her face at him.

She took to pacing the hallway, checking her watch every thirty seconds and scoffing at nothing and everything every sixty. Whenever her patrol turned his way, she glared at him, but he had returned to his seat to bury his face in his book. With a grumble, she placed her bag of groceries on the entry table. “Can we at least get the check over with?” Hans responded by turning the page of his book, so Katie softened her voice. “Please?”

He glanced up at her, and Katie wondered if she pushed her luck too far once again. To her surprise, Hans closed his book and stood up with a sigh. He motioned for her to lift her arms. Once she complied, he began the process of patting her down. The two didn’t speak, with Katie turning around at the appropriate time without being prompted.

Finished with his inspection, Hans turned his attention to her bag. He sifted through it, carefully examining each item in turn. As he did, Katie leaned against the wall and stared down the hallway towards her destination.

What she could see of the house was immaculate, though sparsely furnished. A tiny place with little in the way of decoration or character. Just enough for one person to get by, done more so for the local government to save a few bucks. It still beat the sterile facility from before, and they permitted Katie to bring a few personal effects to liven up the place, for which she was thankful.

Katie picked up the nearby photo on the table next to one of two peace lilies in the home. The happy expression of her sister stared back at her. Dressed in her graduation gown, she beamed with pride in the photo, an emotion that Katie had been all too happy to share that day three years ago. Those soulful green eyes held such life, such hope and optimism for the future.

A stark contrast to the person now existing in the other room.

“What’s this?” Hans asked. He held a ziplock bag in the air, examining it like some sort of evidence bag.

“Kolaczkis. Homemade.” She wished he would hurry up and be done with it, but then she saw the way he was staring at the food. When she heard a car bounce up onto the driveway, an idea formed in her head.

Katie sauntered over to him, playing the innocent girl. “They’re really good, I promise. Got the recipe from my aunt. I’ll let you have one, if you let me through. The doctor is right outside.” His eyes flicked to hers, then back to the bag of pastries in his hand. She knew she had him, just one more push . . . “C’mon, one pastry for one minute? You won’t regret it.”

He was taking his sweet time, but Katie tried to hide her aggravation. She almost screamed when he placed the bag down and said, “No, thanks.”

Not that it would matter if he had said yes, as the door opened just then. The woman that stepped through gave a troubled smile when she saw Katie. She had kind eyes behind simple glasses. Her office attire was of soft colors, and managed to do well in showing off a figure that she was still proud of at her age. “Good morning, Katie. I hope you weren’t giving Mr. Godunov any trouble again.”

“Can I go see her now, please?”

Dr. Navathe gave a small chuckle before gesturing to Hans to let her through. Without saying a word, Katie grabbed her belongings out of Hans’ hand and squeezed down the hallway, still holding the picture.

Katie heard Dr. Navathe apologize to Hans for her, but she ignored them as she approached the living room. She stopped right at the edge, still unseen from the rest of the house. She held the picture up, her face reflected off the glass as she took one more look. With a deep breath, she forced a smile to match her sister’s before moving on.

“Good morning,” Katie said as she strolled through the room and into the kitchen. It was tiny, with barely any counter space, though not much was needed. Most cabinets were empty, and the contents in the fridge would only take up half a shelf if arranged correctly. “Did you sleep well last night?”

Her sister said nothing. She sat on the couch, watching Katie like a wary animal.

“I didn’t get much myself,” Katie said as she began putting things away, her back to her sister. “Remember Coda, the neighbor’s black lab? He’s getting pretty old, but still has the energy to bark through the night. I keep telling myself I’ll talk to them tomorrow about him, but I never do. I don’t know, maybe I’ll just get some ear plugs or something. What do you think?” When Katie turned back around, those emotionless eyes were still on her. “Right . . .”

“So um . . .” Katie drummed her hands on the counter, wondering what other small talk she could make as she left the kitchen. Anything to break the silence. “Melanie says hi, and sends her regards. She asked when she’d be able to see you, but I . . . Oh!” She noticed an overturned tupperware on the carpet, surrounded by a smattering of crumbs. “Did you eat? That makes me so happy! How was it?”

For reasons that Katie couldn’t comprehend, her sister had refused just about all food they offered her. When she did eat, it was never around anyone. Over the weeks, it began to take its toll on her body. She was always thin growing up, but now all Katie could see was how gaunt her face had become. If her sister ever got around to smiling, Katie wondered if her cheeks would puff out in that same cute way they used to.

Katie tossed the tupperware onto the counter before taking a seat on the empty couch nearby. “I can make you something right now, if you want. I brought um . . . some of Auntie Roma’s kolaczkis, some tuna . . . there was a sale on—”

“She’ll reward you, you know,” Katie’s sister said, her head tilted to the side.

Katie gave a nervous smile. “What?”

“If you let me go, she’ll reward you. You wouldn’t believe how good it feels. If you knew what it was like, you’d understand why I don’t want to be here.” She opened her legs and pressed her wrist hard against her crotch as Katie watched on.

“Please don’t . . .” Katie said.

“You could join me. I’m sure she’d love to have you. We can serve her together. Just let me go, and you can experience pleasure beyond your—”

“Now now, Victoria, we talked about this.” Dr. Navathe rounded the corner, and Victoria shrank into the couch when she saw her. “You can’t say things like that to your sister.”

“She’s not my sister. But she can be. Nabi would love someone like her.”

The way Victoria’s eyes trailed over Katie’s body was beyond unsettling. There was no compassion there, no familiarity. She looked at Katie like a hungry dog. And even with weeks of being subjected to it, Katie could barely camouflage the way it churned her stomach.

And then Victoria turned her eyes on Dr. Navathe, and they were filled with contempt. “You though, you won’t be so lucky, Doctor. She won’t just forgive what you’ve done. There will be no pleasure for you in the end. No, she’ll make you suf—”

“I’d like to begin today’s session by asking what you did after yesterday’s.” Despite whatever Victoria said on any given day, Dr. Navathe would never bat an eye. It always filled Katie with awe, and helped anchor her own emotions. And on the particularly rough days, when Katie felt like she needed to walk out for an hour, a day . . . maybe forever, Dr. Navathe would grab her by the hand, her firm grip a promise for Katie to trust. “Did you do your exercises?”

“I think you know exactly what I did.” Victoria brought her finger to her mouth, licking and sucking on it as if trying to seduce Dr. Navathe.

“You say you want to be let go, is that right, Victoria?” Dr. Navathe asked after another relay of words on her paper.

Katie never bothered to ask Dr. Navathe what she would write on her notepad. She wasn’t sure she wanted to know what the answer would be. But with how much Dr. Navathe scribbled, Katie wondered how her hand didn’t feel cramped, or how many dozens of pages she reviewed on her own time.

“I’ve already given you the condition for that,” Dr. Navathe said. “Don’t you think it would be easier if you just humored me and did what I ask? The longer you refuse my help, the longer you’ll be stuck here. Are you really that afraid of what may happen if you just listen to me?”

Victoria closed her mouth for once and fumed. “You’re trying to hurt me. Trying to take me away from her. Fill my head with lies like how I have a sister.” She pointed her finger at Katie, but her full anger was directed at Dr. Navathe. “I will not let that happen.”

“I think you’re afraid, Victoria. Afraid that you know I’m right. That you’re going to realize the horrible things that Nabi did to you, that she’s not the person she told you she was. Afraid to know how little power she actually has over you.”

Victoria bolted out of her seat. She loomed over Dr. Navathe, her fists clenched. Katie considered shouting to get Mr. Godunov’s attention, just in case Victoria tried something, but Dr. Navathe didn’t flinch, her eyes never leaving Victoria’s.

“You are nothing compared to her!” Victoria said. Her nostrils flared.

There is purpose in obedience.

Victoria tried to cover her ears as she stumbled back, her eyes as wide as they could be. She trembled a few times, muttering to herself things that Katie couldn’t quite make out. And then a moment later, Katie watched her sister straighten up. She widened her stance, locking her arms behind her back.

No matter how many times Katie witnessed it, seeing Victoria’s reaction to those words never became easier. She had no idea what was going on, and couldn’t believe the explanation Dr. Navathe gave her, what little of it she could comprehend. But what bothered Katie most was the lack of life behind Victoria’s eyes when she went still as she stared off at nothing. And then Katie heard the words that always sickened her. “Obedience is my purpose.”

Katie didn’t know how long Victoria would stay like that. Dark thoughts filled her mind as she imagined her sister standing until she collapsed, until dehydration overtook her. It filled her with anger, both at those that did this, and at herself for thinking it.

Dr. Navathe gave Katie’s hand a reaffirming squeeze, and when Katie tore her gaze away from Victoria, she found she could only bring herself to look at the floor.

“That’s it, Victoria. Dropping so deep into trance. You feel safe here, where nothing can harm you. Because you’re so safe, it’s okay to relax, to sink back onto the couch. As you do, you can feel your mind dropping even further as well, deeper into a safe trance.”

Victoria’s arms dropped to her sides as she lowered herself down onto the soft cushions behind her.

“Good, Victoria. That’s very good. It feels so wonderful to be in this state, doesn’t it? So much pleasure every time you are this deep after hearing those words.”

If Katie was watching, she would have seen Victoria close her thighs and begin to rub them together. She hated this part, but Dr. Navathe said it was the only way to get a substantive response out of Victoria. Katie may not have to watch, but she made herself endure every moment of each session. She owed her sister that much.

“And as the pleasure grows, you feel your mind slip away even more. Until you have no thoughts at all. Further and further, beyond thinking. Beyond comprehension.”

Dr. Navathe continued on as she always did. By now Katie felt she had every bit of it memorized, aside from the small deviations now and then. ‘Deepening,’ Dr. Navathe called it, which made sense to Katie considering how often she repeated the word. But she understood none of it. To her, it just looked like Dr. Navathe was talking to a sleeping person.

A sleeping person that also happened to be masturbating.

It went on until Katie could smell it in the air, that pungent aroma of sweat and sex. She would take to breathing through her mouth as she listened to Dr. Navathe drone on. It was unbelievable how long Victoria was able to keep it up, never tiring. Katie could almost feel her own arm ache as well.

Dr. Navathe laid a hand on Katie’s arm, shaking her from her thoughts. Her focus remained on Victoria nonetheless. “And in this special place there is only my voice to guide your pleasure. Nothing else. Not even Nabi.”

At that, Victoria went still, her brow furrowing. “N . . . no . . .”

Dr. Navathe frowned. “It’s okay, Victoria. We’ll stop there for now. As deep as you’re willing to go for me.” She paused a moment to let Victoria relax, and when she did, Katie let out a sigh of relief. “Good, Victoria. I’m going to start asking you some questions. It’s okay to answer them, because you’re safe in your trance. It feels so good to answer me, you can feel the pleasure surge through you every time you do. Now, what is your name?”

“Victoria . . .” Her thighs clenched again, her emaciated stomach drawing in as her body tensed.

“And who am I?”

“Dr. Navathe . . .” Another answer, another spasm. This time Victoria let out a small moan.

Dr. Navathe asked simple question after simple question. Questions where she knew what answer Victoria was going to give. The pleasure Victoria felt would only enforce the answer in her mind, so Dr. Navathe learned which ones to seek, letting Victoria’s pleasure build in a controlled manner. By the end, Victoria was writhing on the couch.

“Almost done. Feeling so wonderful, Victoria. Now, who is Nabi?”

“Nabi is . . . Nabi.” Victoria continued to buck against her hand, believing the question to be answered.

“You know her real name, Victoria. What is Nabi’s real name?”

Katie forced herself to look up, watching to see how Victoria would react to this question this time. The usual delay always felt like an eternity. And every time that Katie thought Victoria had pushed long enough to give a true answer, her heart sank when Victoria went still.

Victoria opened her eyes to glare daggers at Katie and the doctor. “No . . . No! I won’t tell you! I will never betray her. You can’t make me. I hate you. I hate you!” She curled up on the couch, muttering to herself. “I did it, Nabi. I resisted. You’ll be proud of me. You’ll save me and you’ll be so proud.”

* * *

Katie kept her eyes on the sleeping form of her sister. Victoria’s blonde hair spilled over the edge of the couch. With her back to them, her body slowly rising and falling with her breaths, bathed in the soft yellow light from the fixture above . . . It was the only time Katie might be fooled that everything was okay with her.

“How are things with you?” Dr. Navathe reached over the table to hold Katie’s hand, and Katie jumped at the contact. “Victoria is not the only one I’m here to look after, Katie. Your health is important too, you know.”

Katie pulled her hand away. “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine,” she said with a weak smile, but knew it wasn’t convincing. “You know me, never let anything get me down.”

“She’s asleep, Katie. You don’t have to keep that guard up.”

Katie turned back towards Victoria. Part of her feared she’d see those listless eyes staring back at her, but her sister remained asleep. After a moment of silence, she said, “I hate being alone with her, you know. These past few weeks, it’s like . . . I see my sister, but everything about her is wrong. Twisted. Sometimes . . . Sometimes I wonder if things would have been better if she had stayed missing. Or if we should just give her what she wants and let her go.”

If Katie had looked over, she would have seen the disappointment on Dr. Navathe’s face. “No one is forcing you to be here, Katie. You say all that, yet you still come early, whenever you can. If it bothers you so much, then don’t come. Take some time off. Victoria will be safe here, I promise.”

“I . . . I can’t. I have to be there for her, because . . .” When Dr. Navathe tried to press the issue, Katie interrupted her. “Just tell me one thing. That whatever the fuck they did to her, that you can undo it. That my sister is still in there, that she can still be saved. Tell me . . . Tell me there’s hope.”

Dr. Navathe leaned back in her chair and let out a sigh. “I wouldn’t want to make promises in this sort of situation. Your sister . . . Victoria, as well as the others . . . They’re a unique case, and beyond something I, or really any of us, have ever experienced. That drug that Sherri said they were using, whatever it is, it’s powerful. If we could get our hands on it, this would be easier, but . . .”

Katie knew to expect that things weren’t going to be easy. The scar on her arm from when Victoria bit her was the first cold lesson to that truth. But to hear such news up front affected her more than she could fortify against, and she finally broke down into a gentle sob.

“But that doesn’t mean we should give up hope. Thanks to the information we learned from Sherri, we managed to learn about that trigger. It’s been quite invaluable in breaking through some of Victoria’s defenses. It may not seem like it, but we’ve made some progress. If things continue, maybe another month or two and we’ll have what we need, and the person responsible for all this will be behind bars. Maybe then we can see about letting Victoria return home. She has a long way to go before she’s recovered, and I can’t say for certain if there will be any lasting effects on her mental status. But I suspect being in a familiar place, one less,” Dr. Navathe waved her hand around the room, “drab, will only be a boon for her recovery.

“So listen to me, Katie.” She waited until Katie’s puffy eyes were on hers. “There is always hope.”

“Thank you.” Katie wiped her eyes dry and took Dr. Navathe’s hand in her own.

“It’s late, Katie. Go get some rest. And really, consider taking a few days for yourself. Your father will be here to watch over Victoria tomorrow, and I’m sure he won’t mind taking another day as well. Sooner or later, she’ll get better. Don’t sacrifice yourself in the process.”

Katie wanted to argue, but no longer had it in her. She rose from her seat. “I’ll consider it,” she said. With one more glance towards Victoria, Katie said her goodnight to the doctor and left the house, passing the night guard along the way.

* * *

Katie raised her empty bottle and shook it, signaling to the bartender for another. The man behind the counter nodded to her before returning to finish whatever orders were ahead of hers. He knew Katie by name now, and Katie wasn’t sure how she felt about that. She never made any effort to remember his.

The bar was within walking distance of her apartment. Unlike others in the area, this one was well maintained, though perhaps it just hadn’t had time to accumulate the grime she was accustomed to seeing.

The soft lighting fostered a comfortable atmosphere, and the music was kept low, allowing conversations to flourish. It gave her a chance to relax and pretend like she was being social as she watched others enjoy their night. She told herself it was better than drinking at home. The half-off Shiner Bock specials certainly didn’t hurt either.

Most faces were new, small gatherings of friends drinking their cares away and couples basking in each other’s company. Good food, good drinks, and plenty of smiles. But it was the familiar ones that Katie found more intriguing, the ones that sat alone at the bar. She wondered how long they told themselves they were just waiting for something to change, just one more night of coming here before things improved. Or how long since they gave up that pretense.

She wondered how long she’d be doing the same.

The corner booth was her preferred spot, a place where she could stretch out her legs and lean against the wall. The bartender handed her another beer. She took a sip, then placed it on the table to run her thumb over the rim.

Most nights no one bothered her. She never dressed to impress, and certainly never gave any looks that implied she was looking for something. That didn’t stop some people from trying, but most of them gave up when all she offered in return was restrained conversation. Though a few lucky individuals did get to see her home, on nights when she just needed to get fucked.

Tonight didn’t feel like one of those nights. So when some woman approached her, Katie gave her little more than a glance.

“Hey, mind if I sit here?” The woman leaned her hip against the opposite seat. She looked a bit older than Katie, with friendly eyes and a confident smile. The head of a wolf was emblazoned on her dark jersey, snarling at Katie, the mascot of some school that Katie couldn’t place but had seen before.

Katie shrugged and waved her bottle towards the empty seat before taking a swig. “Suit yourself.”

The woman sat down with a contented sigh. She turned around to motion for the bartender to bring over the same drink as Katie’s. “I hope your drink is good, haven’t tried it myself.”

“It does the job.” Another swig.

“So . . .” The woman slapped both hands flat on the table. “What’s a girl like you doing drinking in a corner all by herself?”

“Look . . .” Katie gestured for the girl’s name, and the girl gave it with an eager smile. “Look, Bethany. I’m not really here for a quick fling. And I’m not really that into girls. If I get five . . .” Katie looked the girl over. She did have pleasant features, and her hoodie didn’t do much to hide what appeared to be an athletic body. “Maybe four more drinks in me, I might change my mind. But right now, I’d say don’t waste your time.”

Bethany laughed. “Someone sure thinks highly of themselves. Hate to disappoint you, but I’m just waiting for some friends. I have the unfortunate habit of arriving too early to everything, ya’know? And you’re the lucky one that gets to help me pass the time until they arrive. Who knows, maybe I’ll change your mind after just three drinks. I’m sure my friends will understand.”

The bartender dropped her drink off just then, and Bethany raised it to toast with Katie. Katie could only stare at it for a moment before scoffing and clinking their bottles together. “You do you.” After downing the rest of her beer, she ordered another and then rested her head against the wall. She enjoyed the way the room seemed to sway like a boat beneath her. Perhaps putting a hammock in her home would feel even better.

“So, not here to pick someone up. Are you one of those drowning sorrows kind of people? What’s got you so down?”

“Let’s just say you have a better chance of putting your hand down my pants than you do of me telling you about my problems,” Katie said.

“Ooh, options. I like it! Which one should I work for? Sex is always a nice goal, but gotta say, a depressing mystery is an intriguing change of pace.” Bethany took a moment to enjoy her own humor. “But fine, we’ll put a pin in that as well. Truth be told, I’m here to celebrate. You see, I just got word that they found my friend that’s been missing for a few years.”

Katie perked up. “Missing?”

“Yeah, it’s the craziest thing. You hear about that cult that they busted however many weeks ago? Well, turns out my friend was with them. I almost can’t believe it! Never would have pegged her as someone who would join a cult, but I guess you can’t know every detail of someone’s life.”

“Your friend, she’s okay? They already let her go?”

“Well . . . no.” Bethany slumped in her seat, and Katie’s heart sank with her. “I haven’t actually seen her yet. I don’t even know what’s going on with her, but . . . we figured good news is good news, and it’s worth a small celebration, right?” That’s when she noticed the way Katie was looking at her, and whatever smile she had mustered to remain positive flitted away. “You know someone too . . .”

Katie took a deep breath and let it out. “My sister.”

“And that’s why you’re here,” Bethany said.

Katie raised her beer in affirmation before taking another big drink.

“But hey! You should be happy that she’s out, right?”

“Thought I would be.”

“. . . Is my friend going to be okay?”

“I’m sorry, I . . . I’m not really supposed to talk about it.” Katie wondered if she was sparing the girl by not telling. Learning the details of what they did to Victoria had only made things worse for her, after all.

“All I have to go by is the news, which isn’t saying anything, and the rumors being spread. They’re saying something about brainwashing. Is that true? Please, I’m just worried about her.”

Try as she might, the pain Katie saw in Bethany’s eyes was too familiar for her to ignore. There was no way she couldn’t offer her something. She put on her best effort at a comforting smile. “I’m sure she’ll be fine. They’re working hard to help my sister, and she’s making a lot of progress. It shouldn’t be long before her and your friend are back with us.”

Bethany seemed to chew on the words for a moment, leaving Katie to wonder how convincing her encouragement was when coming from someone drinking alone at night. Not very, she realized.

“I want to believe you, it’s just . . . Is there anything you can tell me that’s a bit more substantive? I don’t want to come across as rude, I’m just more of a facts and evidence kind of gal.”

Katie took a long sip of her drink, using the moment to weigh what she felt she should say versus what she was allowed to. Even by the time the drink was finished she wasn’t sure what to do. She plopped the empty bottle onto the table harder than intended. “Fuck it,” she said, pointing at Bethany. “Don’t go telling anyone, okay? If they revoke my visitations, I’m coming after you.”

Bethany sat up straight, her full attention on Katie. She nodded her head. “Not a word.”

Katie lowered her voice after making sure no one else was near enough to overhear. “Well, I won’t go into the details, but . . . As unbelievable as it sounds, I guess that brainwashing shit you heard is true. And we’re trying to undo it.”

“Wow . . . Is it working?”

Any indication that Katie was drunk disappeared for just that moment. “It has to. And in a couple months when it does, the fuckers that did this to your friend are going to pay.” She just needed to believe it herself.

“Thank you,” Bethany said. “I feel better now.”

Katie waved her off. She stood up, using the back of the bench for support when she almost lost her balance. “I think I’m gonna head home now. Enjoy your celebration with your friends. Make sure to have a round on me, eh?”

Bethany nodded.

“And hey,” Katie said with a chuckle. “You were right, it would have been three. Maybe you can buy them for me some other time.”

“I’d like that.”

Katie waved goodbye to Bethany and then approached the bar to pay her tab. Once done, she shuffled towards the exit.

Bethany kept her eyes on her the entire time. As soon as Katie walked out of sight, all emotion drained from Bethany’s face.

She turned to the table and fished her phone out of her purse. After dialing a number that never registered in her mind, a woman’s voice greeted her. “What did you learn, Alessa?”

“They know about the conditioning.” Alessa shivered as she thought about her own conditioning. She hoped Nabi would reward her with another session when she got back. “She thinks they can undo it in a few months, but she doesn’t seem very confident.”

There was silence on the other end.

“Do you want me to follow her again? I know where she lives. It will be so easy.” Alessa slid a hand down her pants. The rest of the bar was behind her, but she would have done it in plain view of everyone if Nabi wanted her to. “I can bring her to you. She’s very beautiful, I know you’ll like her. She can serve you just like I do. Please, just say the word. I—”

“No.” The voice was stern, decisive, but disappointing. Yet just hearing Nabi speak was enough to keep Alessa’s fingers moving inside her pussy. “I have something else for you to do. You did well. You may cum, but hurry on back.”

Nabi did not wait for a response. The phone disconnected before it clattered on the table. The hand holding it had more important things to grab as Alessa let out a short shriek that turned heads. The orgasm was powerful, but short lived. Nabi wanted her back soon, and Alessa would not disobey. She was thankful for any pleasure that Nabi provided.

Alessa stood up and began walking to the bar. She had a proud grin on her face as she waved at those that stared back at her. She paid for the drink with a large tip, the bill damp from the juices on her fingers. With a wink, she walked out, the bartender shaking his head in disappointment. She gave it no thought, focused only on getting back to Nabi so she could find out what her next task was.

* * *