The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Better Off

Chapter Two

Disclaimer: Contains fictional material intended for adult audiences.

* * *

“Eve’s engagement party is this weekend.” Bernard took a sip from his mug, the words Billable Coffee Break written in cursive on the side. He winced from the heat with a sharp intake of breath before licking his lips. “Comin’?”

April didn’t bother giving him or his pinstripe suit a glance. “And subject myself to her horrendous cackling for the night? No thanks. If I’m going to torture myself, I’d rather it be with something that won’t make me want to stab my ears out.”

“She’s not that annoying.” The cubicle creaked as he leaned against it, threatening to send April’s nature calendar to the floor. “Plus, it’s free food and drinks. And don’t tell me you’re not curious about the guy she’s marrying.”

“Anyone that’s willing to put up with her for the rest of their likely short life is not someone I want to know exists. Though . . . take notes for me?”

“Oh shit! Hey, Eve. Congratulations!”

April stiffened, realizing she hadn’t bothered keeping her voice down. When she turned around, there was no sign of Eve to be found. She gave Bernard a death glare. “Ass.”

Bernard was all smiles. “Worth it. And yeah, don’t worry, I’ll tell you all about him.”

“You better swipe a drink for me after that one.”

The phone rang. April looked at the caller ID and groaned. “And runner-up for most annoying person . . .”

She continued to let it ring, her hand hovering over the handset. With any luck . . .

“Janine’s not at her desk,” Bernard said with a chuckle. He gestured towards the phone with his mug. “That’s all you.”

April mouthed the word ‘fuck’ before taking a deep breath and lifting the phone to her ear. When she spoke, her voice was the gold standard of polite customer service. “You’ve reached the law offices of Haverly, Pendleton, and Miller. April speaking. How may I help you today?”

April rolled her eyes as she listened to the voice on the other end of the line. She waited for a polite moment to respond. “I’m sorry, Ms. Berkhoff, but as I told you previously, we are not able to give out that information. I assure you we have passed along all of your messages, and she has your contact information. There’s nothing more we can do. I—”

There was something to be said about the quality of pens that the office provided, being able to withstand the amount of force April exerted as she squeezed one in her palm. “Yes, ma’am, I can take another message. Yes, I’m ready when you are.”

April began doodling on the scrap envelope she found in her trash as she listened to the woman. “Anything else? Okay. Yes, I will make sure she sees it. Yes, ma’am. I understand. Thanks. You have a great day now. Bye bye.” She placed the phone back on the receiver, proud of her restraint for not slamming it down. The envelope with the doodle returned to the trash, all crumpled up.

“I’m impressed,” Bernard said with a whistle. “Never seen someone sound so friendly, yet look so furious at the same time.”

“Natural-born skill. Just be glad you don’t have to deal with her. She’s like . . . the personification of cold chicken noodle soup.” April groaned and held her head in her hands. “How many free drinks did you say there were at that party, again?”

* * *

It was that damned noise. Katie might as well have had her ear placed right next to Victoria’s crotch with how much it demanded her attention.

“With each step, feel yourself relax even more. Even as the pleasure builds, your body and mind relax as you descend further down the stairs.”

Not even Dr. Navathe’s soothing voice was enough to distract Katie, no matter how much she tried to focus on it. How wonderful it would be for her to let her mind shut off. She’d do anything to not have to worry about her sister for even a moment. Anything to relax.

Anything to stop that noise.

But it was always there. That ever-present wet sound of Victoria’s fingers as she played with herself down into trance. Katie couldn’t escape it, like some perverse form of tinnitus.

“Feeling so safe as you listen to my voice guide you, deeper and deeper. All the way down, until there’s nowhere left to go. Until your mind is completely open, receptive to my instruction.”

Yet Katie would still try to follow along with what Navathe said. She descended behind Victoria on the staircase in her own head. Part of her hoped Victoria was picturing the same one—the one from the house they grew up in, with the smooth oak bannister. Except now, the worn carpeted steps seemed to stretch on forever as they both plodded down. And all the while, Victoria’s repugnant soundtrack played in the background.

“And when you get to the bottom, a place beyond thoughts, where it’s just my voice in your head, I want you to say, ‘I’m here.’”

Katie shifted on the couch, careful to not disturb Victoria too much. She held Victoria’s free hand in her own, tracing gentle circles with her thumb, wishing that this would be the day they broke through. She had lost count of how many times they had run through this exact scenario. It felt as innumerable as the stairs Victoria was descending. By now, wishing felt like a farce.

“I’m here,” Victoria said, and Katie shook her head clear.

“Very good, Victoria. So relaxed, so safe, your mind open to my suggestions. We’re going to go through the same scenario again. Now that you’re at the bottom of the staircase, you find yourself in a room. Remember, you’re safe in this room, nothing can harm you. In the very center of this room is a chest. Do you see the chest, Victoria?”

“Yes . . .”

“Go ahead and walk towards it. And as you stand over it, you already know what’s inside. The chest is full of your memories, Victoria. Everything about who you are, all your thoughts and dreams, they’re all contained within.

“There’s no lock on this chest. It’s waiting for you to open it. And if you open the chest, you will be reunited with all these memories. You will remember who you are. You will remember who your sister is. You will remember the real name of the person who did this to you. Victoria, tell me, what will happen when you open the chest?”

“I will get my memories back.”

“That’s correct, Victoria. Now, I want you to reach down and grab the lid. Feel the rough surface of the heavy wood against the palms of your hand as you hold it at the edges. And then, very carefully, begin to lift it. No matter how heavy it is, it still creaks open. And as the lid rises, you can see your memories spilling out. They’re filling your mind with the information that was locked away. And as your mind begins to fill, you feel yourself gaining more strength, able to lift the lid even further to let even more memories out. And with a final burst of strength, I want you to throw the lid the rest of the way open, allowing everything contained within to reunite with you. Do you understand?”

“Yes . . .”

“Then go ahead and open the chest. Tell me when that is done, Victoria.”

Katie stood next to Victoria in that cold room. It was devoid of color, of emotion. Only the chest held any importance, and they would stare at it together, hand in hand. It was large, much larger than any she had ever seen. It was made of a rich, heavy wood, with polished metal riveted along the edges in intricate, ornate designs. It was a fitting chest to hold so much of someone like Victoria.

And if that chest was the only thing separating the husk that Victoria had become from her true self, then Katie would stop at nothing to break it open. No matter how beautiful the craftsmanship was, she’d bring any tool, a crowbar, a jackhammer, even explosives, anything to demolish that coffin of wood and steel.

But it wasn’t up to her. Only Victoria could touch it. All Katie could do was wait, and pray that today would be different than the rest. But when the sound she despised finally stopped, Katie felt no joy, because she knew exactly what kind of day it was going to be.

“Are you done opening the chest, Victoria?” Dr. Navathe asked.

The answer was swift. “No.”

“Why is that, Victoria?”

Victoria’s hand tightened around Katie’s. “I won’t open it. I won’t!”

To her credit, there was no frustration in Dr. Navathe’s voice. Katie couldn’t understand how she could be this composed all the time. “That’s okay, Victoria. Forget about the box for now and—”

Katie pried her hand away and shoved herself off the couch in a huff. Without a word, she walked into the kitchen and placed her hands against the edge of the sink to stare down the drain, her back to Dr. Navathe.

“Katie?” Dr. Navathe said in that annoying voice. The kind a parent used right before scolding a child.

Katie filled a nearby glass with water, chugging it down in a few gulps. She didn’t need yet another lecture about being patient. She took a deep breath before turning around with a phony smile. “Just thirsty.”

Dr. Navathe didn’t press the issue, much to Katie’s relief. “Perhaps we should take a break.”

Katie nodded, letting out a sigh as she leaned against the counter. She spun the empty glass in her hand, watching the few remaining drops of water circle the bottom as Dr. Navathe began talking Victoria back up.

“Okay, Victoria. It’s time to come back. Listen to my voice. Feel yourself rising back up the stairs, your consciousness coming back to you. And as you do, you remember everything we discussed. You remember that you’re not who Nabi made you to be. You are your own person, able to make your own choices. No longer forced to be someone else. Knowing this all to be true as you reach the top of the stairs, fully refreshed and awake.”

Victoria let out a meek yawn as she stretched and blinked her eyes open. When she noticed everyone staring at her, she dropped her gaze to the floor.

“How do you feel, Victoria?” Dr. Navathe asked.

Victoria took a moment to respond. When she did, her voice was soft. “I’m okay.”

“That’s good, Victoria. We’re going to take a break, if that’s okay with you. Is there anything you would like to do?”

As if answering for her, Victoria’s stomach let out a growl. She placed her hand over it. “Am I allowed to eat, please?”

Katie liked to think the timid way Victoria talked these last few days was a welcome improvement. It beat the way Victoria had tried to seduce her with growled words and smoldering eyes. Even the memory of the things Victoria had said still made Katie’s skin crawl.

But lately, the words had been filled with uncertainty, and only the carpet could share tales of whatever look Victoria’s eyes held. Everything was still alien about her, like one imposter had been traded for another.

Katie didn’t understand any of it, despite Dr. Navathe’s attempts at an explanation. Better for her to go with the flow and let the doctor tell her how best to help. But even when she followed the tasks she was entrusted with, she felt all but useless, just sitting there and holding Victoria’s hand while Dr. Navathe did all the work.

So when it came time for them to eat, Katie jumped at the opportunity. It was something for her to do, a way for her to contribute in a meaningful way. Before Dr. Navathe could answer Victoria’s question, Katie was bouncing around the kitchen. She filled the counter with containers of prepared ingredients, and removed the pots and pans from the locked cabinet for use on the induction stove.

As she was about to begin cooking, Katie paused. When she turned around, she found Victoria watching her, though her sister was quick to look away. “Would you like to help me, Victoria?” Katie asked.

“I . . .” Victoria looked to Dr. Navathe for guidance, who gave a confident smile and nod in return.

“It’s easy, I promise,” Katie said, catching Victoria off guard with how close she had gotten without Victoria realizing. Katie knelt down next to her and held her hand out. To her relief, Victoria offered her own in return.

Katie whisked her sister into the kitchen, careful not to pull too hard. She dumped some ingredients into the pan and turned on the heat, then stood Victoria in front of the stove and handed her a wooden spoon. “All you have to do is keep stirring. You didn’t really know how to cook before, so shouldn’t be an issue if you don’t remember much right now. Just go like this.” Katie held Victoria’s hand and maneuvered it in various circles. “Simple as that. Just keep things moving.”

Katie took a step back to assess Victoria’s technique before she set about preparing the rest of the meal. She made sure to keep an eye on her sister the entire time. As the sauce began to simmer, Katie approached Victoria once more.

“Not bad, not bad. But I think I forgot to mention a technique. It’s very important in order to make sure the sauce is as good as it can be. Do you mind?” Katie held her hand out, gesturing for the spoon. Victoria handed it to her and stepped back, her eyes darting between her sister and the pan.

“Food always tastes better when you’re having fun making it, so follow my lead.” Katie placed the spoon in the sauce to stir. As she did, she began moving her hips from side to side. A drag of the spoon to the left, and her waist bumped to the right, alternating as she went. “Like this.”

Victoria was transfixed, and Katie could swear she saw the slightest movement in Victoria’s own hips as she watched.

“Now you try.” Katie handed the spoon back.

Victoria drew in towards the stove and jumped a little when she felt Katie’s hands placed on her sides.

“Don’t be afraid to put some oomph into it,” Katie said. She put pressure on one side, then the other. Victoria was stiff at first, but with enough encouragement, soon her rear was shaking like Katie’s. “See? It’s so easy, and I promise that—”

The smile faded from Katie’s face. Standing right behind Victoria, all Katie could see at that moment was Victoria’s ponytail as it bounced along with her hips. The one that Nabi forced Victoria to wear, that was never to be let down. One more reminder to add to the others of what that bitch had done.

She reached a hand up to comb her fingers through her own hair. She had cut it short in an act of juvenile defiance; a new look that said she was a badass for just $34.99. Or so she hoped. With any luck, it would at least intimidate Nabi, should they ever meet.

“. . . That it’ll taste all the better for it,” Katie finished, shaking her head. She let go of Victoria, and was pleased to see her sister continue on by herself. And then, when she stepped to the side, Katie almost couldn’t believe her eyes. There, right on Victoria’s face, was the faintest hint of a smile. It warmed Katie’s heart, and for a moment her breath caught in her throat.

She dared not call attention to it, lest she scare the smile away. Instead, Katie absorbed herself in the rest of the meal preparation, only disturbing Victoria when necessary. The image played in her mind all the way until the three were seated at the table, with steaming plates before each of them.

As usual, Victoria did little to join in on the conversation. That didn’t stop Katie from trying to keep things lively. “I think it was for Dad’s forty-third birthday. You wanted to bake him a cake, but you refused to let me help. And then . . .” Katie took a moment to stifle her laughter. “You mixed up the salt and sugar bins. Something like two cups of salt for one cake, but I feel like that amount keeps growing every time I tell the story.”

Katie relaxed back into her chair, finally coming down from her fits. “I don’t know how he did it, but he managed to finish his entire slice. I threw mine right into the trash, I’m not ashamed to admit. Probably drove you mad with how many times I reminded you of it.”

Katie let out a sigh. “Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the meal.”

“Fantastic as always, Katie,” Dr. Navathe said as she dabbed her mouth with a napkin. “Thank you.” She turned to Victoria. “Do you have something you’d like to say to Katie, Victoria?”

“Thank you,” she said after a moment.

The smile had fled at some point, but Katie didn’t mind. A glimpse of it was enough to embolden her. There was only one thing tainting the memory. “Couldn’t have done it without your help! I’m glad you liked it. And hey, maybe to return the favor, you could let your hair down? For me?”

Victoria shrank into her chair. She reached a hand up and touched the hairband holding her hair in place, making sure it was where it should be.

“Only if you want to, Victoria,” Dr. Navathe said. “There’s no pressure.”

Katie got up to stand next to her sister. “It’s not a big deal, Victoria. Come on.”

Victoria’s body tensed, her elbows locked. She kept her eyes on the table, but made sure that Katie was still within her peripheral vision. “I . . .”

“Katie, don’t press it,” Dr. Navathe said. Her voice was stern, but Katie ignored her.

“Here, I’ll help you.” Katie reached her hand out towards the tie.

“No!”

Victoria was a blur. Before Katie knew what happened, she heard the chair clatter to the floor. She wasn’t prepared for the strength of the shove as her torso slammed into the nearby counter. She bounced off, losing her balance as she fell to the floor. Her elbow took the brunt of the force. “God dammit!”

“Katie!”

Katie pulled away from Dr. Navathe when she tried to help her up. Even Mr. Godunov had left his roost to investigate the ruckus, but she paid him no mind. She found Victoria curled up on the couch, one hand holding her hair, her other hidden between her legs. “What the fuck is wrong with you?! How can you possibly want to defend that piece of shit?! Just giving up . . . You’re better than this, dammit! You’re supposed to be better than me, because I . . . I . . .” Her lip quivered, and she struggled to compose herself.

Dr. Navathe grabbed Katie by the shoulder, and Katie let herself be dragged into the hallway. “Listen to me,” the doctor said. Katie tried to look towards where Victoria was, but Dr. Navathe grabbed her by the chin. “I said listen! It’s for Victoria’s benefit that you are here. I believe the progress we have seen would not have been possible without your support. But—”

“Progress? What fucking progress?! I’m sick of this hypno bullshit therapy that isn’t getting anywhere. My sister wouldn’t give up without a fight like this!” She turned to where Victoria was, where that sickening noise began its encore. “You were never such a weak-willed coward! Maybe you should have stayed missing. At least then I could go on with my life thinking you were dead!”

Dr. Navathe stepped between Katie and her sister. “But don’t think for a second that I will let you jeopardize that progress!” Dr. Navathe took a breath to calm down, but the anger in her eyes remained. She kept them fixed on Katie as she said, “I can handle this, Mr. Godunov. Thank you.”

Katie could only glare back in response. Weeks of frustration bubbling towards the surface with Dr. Navathe as the unfortunate recipient.

And then Dr. Navathe’s expression softened into a strange visage, as if she had finally settled on a troubling decision. Katie didn’t understand what to make of it, but was too worked up, too stubborn to admit to overreacting now.

“I’m sorry for yelling like that, Katie. I understand how you feel, and it’s okay. You’ve been through so much lately. I can tell these last few weeks have been so hard on you. You care so much about your sister, but you never give yourself a moment to relax.”

“How could I possibly rela—”

“Shh, it’s okay. Just listen.”

Katie was about to object. How dare Dr. Navathe speak to her like that, like a child! If it was her sister, she’d be just as upset.

But at the same time, Dr. Navathe had been nothing but kind to her. The more time that passed, the more Katie realized how stubborn she was being. So instead of talking back, Katie let out a huff.

“That’s it. I want to help you, Katie, but you have to listen to me. It must be so tiring to go through each day with so much worry. Don’t you wish, for one moment, that you could let go of that worry? Don’t you wish you could let yourself relax?”

“It is tiring . . . but, I . . . I can’t just . . .”

“You don’t have to talk, Katie. Just keep listening. I promise you everything will be okay if you let yourself relax for now. I will be here the entire time to make sure nothing happens. You can trust me, because you know I only want to help the both of you. I’ve been helping your sister, but now it’s time for me to help you as well. So take a deep breath in, and then let it out. Feel yourself relax as the air leaves your body.”

Katie tried to follow Dr. Navathe’s suggestions. She let her lungs fill all the way up, and then let her shoulders drop as she exhaled, her mouth remaining open when she did. Only there was something still keeping her on edge. “The noise . . . I can’t . . .”

Even from across the room, Katie could hear Victoria’s fingers as she played with herself, her soft voice whispering her slavish words of devotion to Nabi. Even at night, when Katie tried to sleep, alone in her quiet room, the sounds echoed in her mind. Only at the bottom of a bottle could she ever find momentary reprieve.

Dr. Navathe placed her hands over Katie’s ears, just enough to mask the sound. When she spoke, her words were muffled, but Katie could still comprehend. “Focus on my voice, Katie. Don’t worry about the noise. All that matters right now is listening to me. Keep up with your steady breathing as you focus on what I’m telling you.”

A rumbling reverberated in Katie’s ears, accompanied by a rhythmic pulsing. Katie wasn’t sure if it was from the beating of her own heart, or if it emanated from Dr. Navathe’s hands. Either way, she had to push past that backdrop to focus on what the doctor was saying.

“You must be so tired right now, Katie. And now that I mention it, you’re so aware of how exhausted you are. With every breath you take, you find it harder to resist letting go and sinking into a wonderful sleep where there is nothing to be worried over.”

Katie found it increasingly hard to keep her eyes open. Whenever the air left her lungs, her shoulders drooped a little bit more. Her neck was slack, and if not for Dr. Navathe’s hands, her head would have lulled towards the ground.

“All the way down now, letting go of everything. Good, Katie. So relaxed for me.”

And then Katie was floating. She was a drop of soap in a bowl of water, pushing all the clutter of her mind out towards the edge, far enough away that they couldn’t be of any concern to her.

“I’m going to remove my hands now, Katie. When I do, the only thing you hear will be my voice. Nothing else, Katie. Focus on my voice, and listen to what I say.” Dr. Navathe let go, and Katie’s head bounced down to her chest. “I . . . For what it’s worth, I’m sorry, Katie. But I will not let you be the reason this fails.”

Dr. Navathe took a moment to compose herself before she began again, her voice low but firm. “You trust me, Katie. Entirely. Implicitly. You know that I only have the best intentions when it comes to you and your sister. Don’t you?”

“Trust you . . . Yes . . .”

“During our sessions, I have supreme authority. You won’t disobey me, and you won’t have any outbursts. You know this to be true, because I am telling you. Because you trust me. Do you understand, Katie?

“Yes . . .”

“Very good, Katie. I’m so glad to hear that.”

A soft smile broke through on Katie’s face. It was nice to do what Dr. Navathe told her. She had done so much for them, and Katie was so grateful. She trusted that Dr. Navathe knew what was best.

“One more thing. Whenever I say ‘listen to my words, Katie,’ you will find yourself sinking down into this relaxed state. All your worries will drift away, and you will be ready to trust what I say, as you do now, as you always will. Do you understand?”

“Yes . . .”

“Good. It’s time to come back, Katie. You don’t have to worry about what we discussed, but you will still believe everything that I told you. Because you trust me. Now, feel your mind coming back, feeling relaxed and content. All the way up now, Katie. Back with me.”

With a deep breath, Katie opened her eyes. They focused on the concerned face of Dr. Navathe. “I . . . I’m sorry, doctor. I didn’t mean to react like that, I . . .”

“That’s alright, Katie. You’ve been through so much yourself. Know that you can talk to me at any time, okay?”

“I know.” Katie nodded to help assure Dr. Navathe.

The doctor placed a hand on Katie’s shoulder. “I have to go see to your sister now, make sure everything is okay with her. I think it would be best if you took the rest of the day off, though. Get out of the house for once. Socialize. If not for yourself . . . Do it for your sister. Okay?”

Katie fought the urge to apologize again. It was her fault that things had gotten so messed up today. She hoped Dr. Navathe could fix any damage she may have caused. If anyone could do it, it was her. “I understand. I can do that.”

Dr. Navathe smiled and left Katie as she walked over to the couch. She knelt down next to Victoria, whispering words to her that Katie couldn’t hear. Her sister went slack, and then a moment later she was sitting up straight.

With a sigh, Katie made her departure. The last words she heard were Dr. Navathe suggesting they work on Victoria’s resistance to her triggers. Mr. Godunov eyed her as she walked out.

* * *

Three days out of the week, her home was a prison

By all logic, she could do anything she wanted, go anywhere she pleased. Except the one place she wanted to go. And so the outside world was tiny for her. Every time Katie left her house, all she felt was guilt that her sister couldn’t do the same, or that Katie couldn’t be trapped in that other cell with her.

Even her usual pastimes no longer brought her joy, poisoned by the very nature of what they had become, nothing but distractions. Unread books crowded the headboard. Her cello gathered dust in the corner.

The only items in her house that saw regular use were her TV and the newspapers that covered her kitchen table and the surrounding floor like a cloth and a rug. Though she hated the news, knowing it focused on breaking the story of her with little regard to the shattered lives she left in her wake, it was the only information she could find.

But it was all useless. The same information that she heard ad nauseam, wasting space in her brain. None of it gave any hint on who Nabi was, nor where she came from. She was a ghost that appeared out of thin air to kidnap women. To turn them into something grotesque.

To destroy her sister.

But she had to believe that Dr. Navathe could do something. She trusted her, after all. But that didn’t mean she had to be happy with how long everything was taking.

Lost in her spiraling thoughts, Katie leapt out of the chair when the doorbell rang. She gazed at the door, as if she were surprised it could even make such a noise. She considered ignoring it, spending the day reading some article for the fourth time in the hopes that she missed some clue.

But then she remembered how Dr. Navathe would advise against ruminating. Something about not letting her own thoughts poison her mind. Apparently, being social was the remedy for that, but Katie often felt that even drinking orange juice after brushing her teeth was more palatable. And since it was way too early to go to the bar, perhaps telling the interloper off would meet her social quota for the week. Dr. Navathe said she should socialize, and Katie trusted her.

Katie opened the door and gasped. “Y-you’re . . .”

The woman standing on her porch stared back at her with soft blue eyes and a comforting smile. While the expression was different, it was a face that Katie had seen a hundred times plastered over articles and news reports. Such media did little to showcase the vibrance of her red hair.

“You’re the . . . the whistleblower.” Katie furrowed her brow, having a hard time believing what she was seeing. “Sherri, right?”

“In the flesh. Katie Berkhoff, right?” Sherri held out her hand. Katie grabbed it in turn, but Sherri did all the work of the shake as Katie stared at her dumbfounded. “Mind if I come in for a chat?” Sherri cackled at the lack of response. “Ahh, I do love feeling like a celebrity.”

Katie shook her head. “Sorry. Come on in.” After Sherri passed through the door, Katie leapt ahead of her and began to clear the table. “Don’t mind the . . . everything. Can I get you something to drink? Coffee, water?”

Sherri whistled as she took in her surroundings. “Nice place. Where’d you hide the bodies?”

“The . . . bodies?”

Sherri placed her purse on a nearby chair. “I’d love some green tea, if you have any.” She watched as Katie stared like a deer in headlights before scavenging through the cabinets and clutter to find a suitable mug to use. Before long, an image of Victoria and Katie smiled back at Sherri with steam rising above their heads. She raised the mug to her face and took a sniff.

Katie, meanwhile, looked as anxious as ever as she took the nearby seat and began bouncing her knee. Her sock-covered heel drove a rhythmic tap tap tap on the laminate floor.

Sherri smirked. “You’re wondering why I’m here.”

“That is one of many questions I have, yes,” Katie said with a nod.

“Sorry to say, I’m not the most altruistic person. You’d think there’d be some sort of reward for single-handedly dismantling a nefarious cult, but the state hasn’t given me shit. So I got to thinking . . .” Sherri placed her mug on the counter, rotating it so that Victoria’s face was visible to Katie, and tapped the rim. “Who else might be grateful enough to the person that reunited them with a lost loved one?”

Katie’s knee stopped moving. She glanced towards the door, so far away down the hall. “You’re here for money?”

“That depends. How much ya got?”

“I . . .”

Before Katie could stammer any longer, Sherri’s facade broke and she burst out laughing. “Sorry, sorry, but the look on your face! I couldn’t keep it up.” She waved Katie off. “I’m not here for your money, don’t worry. Though a thank you would be nice.” When Katie said nothing, Sherri skipped right along. “You really don’t know? Not too bright, are you?”

Katie let out a puff of air through her nose. “I guess it’s right what they say. Don’t meet your idols.”

Sherri put up her hand to soothe Katie. “Don’t mind me. My mouth gets me into as much trouble as my mind does. Always had a habit of causing problems for those around me. Fortunately for you, I seem to have caused a big deal of trouble for the right people this time. And just look at the reaction! I certainly don’t mind the attention, that’s for sure.”

Sherri took a sip of her tea and then stared at the mug. “Not bad. Though I suppose not much of a compliment when it’s from a package.

“So, to answer the question you didn’t technically ask, I’m here in part because the powers that be, forthwith to be known as my lawyers, have found themselves a bit . . .” She waved her hand in thought. “Exasperated—yeah, I think that’s a term they’d use—by your . . . persistence. But to put it in my own terms, you’re annoying the fuck out of them, Katie. Personally I find it hilarious—never thought I’d have a fan!—but I figured I have to at least sometimes stay on their good side. So here I am, hoping to persuade you to stop calling them.”

Katie crossed her arms and leaned back in her seat. “And the other part?”

“Excuse me? Oh! Right. You see . . .” Sherri took a deep breath. “Alright, truth be told? I’m just a dumb, thirsty bitch. I know how this will sound, but . . .” She rotated the mug once more and ran her thumb over the picture of Victoria’s face, the porcelain still hot to the touch. The irony was not lost on her. “You see . . . I kinda have a thing for your sister.”

After a moment of silence, Katie stood up and gestured down the hall. “Thank you for everything you’ve done, but I think you should leave.”

Sherri refused to move from her seat. “Hey, let’s not be hasty, now.”

“The only reason I contacted you was to have a discussion about my sister. A serious discussion. It’s clear that is not your intention, so let me make this clear: I already gave you my thanks, so as far as I’m concerned, I have no obligations for any further interactions with you. So to put it in my own terms, kindly fuck off.”

The whistle that Sherri let out only served to further antagonize Katie. “Touchy touchy, I see.” She held her hands up in defense when Katie took a step forward. “Look, I told you I have a mouth on me. I don’t apologize for that. But I’ll try to avoid stepping on any more mines. Just give me five minutes to explain my intentions, and then I’ll gladly answer any questions you may have about anything. Or you can still kick me out, if you are so inclined.”

There was no hint of mischief in Sherri’s eyes that Katie could detect, and her smug grin from before had flitted away. She wasn’t sure if she could believe anything Sherri might want to say first, but the allure of what information she might have was too appealing. Someone with answers that went far beyond anything the articles would ever reveal. First-hand experience of what Victoria went through. If dealing with someone unsavory for minutes out of her day was the cost, Katie was willing to pay it. She took a step back, but chose to remain standing.

Sherri tried to give off a reassuring smile. She glanced once more at the mug in front of her, speaking more to the image of Victoria than to Katie when she began. “I always envied college students. That life was never for me. Too much structure. But it was always nice to imagine that each and every one of them knew exactly what they wanted, even though I’m sure half or more were about as clueless about their future as me.

“Sometimes, I liked wandering the nearby campus in my free time, watching them scurry about, presumably making something of themselves. Just watching, and admittedly . . . hoping to get laid.”

Her eyes flicked up to Katie’s, watching for any sign that what she said had pushed the line too far. Confident that she was still in the clear, she continued, her eyes back on the mug. “She approached me first. Your sister. Normally I’m the one to make the first move. Caught me off guard, honestly. She had this confidence to her that was just . . . formidable. Almost right away, she made me feel like I belonged there . . . And god, the way she made me feel in bed, I—”

Katie shifted where she stood, so Sherri cut herself off. “I’ll spare you the details, but I wasn’t lying when I said I fell for her. She’s the one that brought me to the cult, but of course I didn’t know of her intentions at the time. I thought she was just as into me. And that’s . . . why I’m here, hoping to trade answers with you, because they’re keeping me just as in the dark about some things as they are you. So my question to you is . . . Is she okay? Did I save her?”

Katie thought about how she should respond. Dr. Navathe said that Victoria was going to get better. She trusted that info. But at the same time, her sister still wasn’t there. And even though Sherri was a creep, she had information, and was likely the only person that would share it with Katie.

She sat back down with a sigh. “Progress has been made.” She wished she could believe it herself. Victoria was different for sure, but it felt more like they were running perpendicular of their goal, not towards it. “But if we’re going to be exchanging information, I want you to go first. You can start by telling me what they did to her.”

“I guess some things run in the family,” Sherri said. Before Katie could grill her on what she meant by that, Sherri continued on. “Fair enough. I’ll play it your way. Though I wish I could be of more help with that. I’m just the gal that ran away. My exposure to their little science experiment was minimal.”

Sherri took a sip of her tea, her slurping the only sound to fill the room for a long moment as she stared off into nothing. And then an odd, pleasant smile formed on her face, as if she was thinking of a fond old friend. “You know, I still sometimes have the urge to go back. When I think about how they made me feel, I’m almost a bit disappointed that I brought the whole thing down. What they do, their method . . . It’s powerful, Katie. I don’t think I’d have lasted a second session.” Sherri rubbed her thumb over the rim of her mug. “Almost a pity . . .”

“If it’s too hard for you, I understand. It’s just . . . I need something.”

Sherri downed the rest of her tea in one go, slamming her mug on the table with a thunk. She sat up straight, staring right into Katie’s eyes. “I can’t speak to the mechanics of it, but I can tell you what I saw, and more importantly, what I felt.”

Katie leaned forward, putting all her focus on Sherri. Finally she was going to figure out something new, something that wasn’t repeated by every news outlet. With any luck, it would hold the key to helping Victoria.

She nodded.

“I didn’t remember some of it until days later. It started with bliss. I’m not sure what it was they used. Some sort of drug, to be sure, but not one I’ve ever experienced before. I woke up feeling so wonderful. I didn’t know where I was or who the people next to me were. I could tell I was strapped down to a chair, but it didn’t matter to me. It was a fact I was aware of, but held no more importance than other mundane facts. Grass is green, sugar is sweet, and I was strapped to a chair.

“No, the only thing I could contemplate was how good everything felt, like that moment right after an amazing orgasm when you lie there and float, only it never ended.” Sherri closed her eyes and bit her lip, her breathing becoming deeper.

Enraptured by her words, Katie wondered when Sherri was going to continue. She was about to nudge her when Sherri’s eyes shot open and stared towards the ceiling.

“There was a screen. Some sort of projector or something, I wasn’t focused on the specifics. But on it, I shit you not, they had a fucking spiral playing right in front of me. Like I was in some low-budget movie from the eighties. But here’s the thing. The state I was in? That shit was fascinating.

“It demanded my attention, promising untold secrets if I kept watching. I had to look deeper into it to let the secrets unfold. How glorious I knew they were going to be, if I just. . . Looked. . . Closer.

“Or maybe that’s what the voice was telling me. I have no idea when it started talking. Perhaps it had always been talking to me. Whispering in my ear, so sensual, almost as if it was coming from within my head. And maybe that was the point. Make me think it wasn’t a voice at all, but rather my own thoughts. I mean, if you’re going to trust anyone, it would be yourself, right?”

Sherri took a deep breath and rubbed her face with both hands. “I really don’t want to undersell how powerful that shit was. Just talking about it, remembering it . . .” There was that warm smile again, Sherri’s eyes fluttering closed. “It’s almost like I’m back there in that chair.”

She grimaced, an angry indentation presenting itself in the flesh of her thigh where she pinched. “Sorry, months later and I’m still dealing with the occasional relapse.”

Katie’s hand formed into a fist, and she let it fall to the table with a thud. Dr. Navathe had earned her trust. The doctor’s selfless efforts to rescue Victoria, the wealth of experience she was able to apply, had seen to that.

But this new information challenged it all. What good were those efforts, that experience, when the doctor was applying them with limited knowledge of the circumstances?

“Are you okay?” Sherri asked.

Katie deflated, a knot forming in the pit of her stomach. She turned away to compose herself, the decorative wood of her seat groaning as she put her weight on it. “One day . . .”

“One day what?”

“One fucking day, and you’re still dealing with this shit two months later.” Katie let out a labored breath as she turned around. “How can there be any hope when my sister has been going through it for years?”

Sherri studied her face. Katie half-expected to be mocked at any second. Instead, Sherri’s eyes shifted to her bag. “What if . . .” She shifted in her seat, one hand reaching up to scratch her neck, the other inching up her thigh from under the table. “What if I knew a way?”

“You have to tell me. Please.”

After a moment’s hesitation, Sherri reached into her purse. Katie watched as she pulled out a container and placed it between them on the table. In it appeared to be a liquid with a rich purple hue, about three cups’ worth by Katie’s estimation. The moment Sherri let go of it, she sat on her hands. The two stared at it together.

“What’s that?”

“The drug they used on your sister. I swiped some the day I escaped. I was going to turn it in, but I . . . I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of it. I kept telling myself I’d do it the next day, and then the next . . . Until I realized I didn’t want to. I guess I was afraid of losing the opportunity to experience it again, even though I never allowed myself to give in.”

Sherri shook her head. “I want you to take it. If you give some to your sister, it should help bring her back. Or so I would imagine. Hair of the dog, or something.” She brought her hand up and placed it on the edge of the table, her focus locked on the thick liquid held within the plastic.

“Is it safe?” Katie asked. The last thing she would want was to hurt her sister by using some unknown substance. But then it wasn’t really up to her. All Katie had to do was show it to Dr. Navathe. The doctor would know what to do.

Sherri never responded, but Katie had made up her mind. But as she reached out to grab the container, Sherri’s hand shot out to cover it.

“M-maybe . . . Maybe she doesn’t need all of it. Maybe I can still k-keep some for . . . myself . . . Just a little bit.”

“Sherri?” At the sound of her name, Sherri’s eyes darted up to meet Katie’s. Katie could see the hunger in them. She saw the ragged breaths Sherri was taking, her lip quivering. And with their eyes locked on each other, Katie heard the sound of the lid being removed.

And then Sherri scrunched her eyes shut. “Just take it!” With her shout, she shoved the container towards Katie. It slid an inch before being caught by the clutter on the table. Like a trainwreck, Katie watched the plastic topple over, and with it the liquid came flooding out.

Out of instinct, Katie placed her arm against the table to act as a levee, preventing the sap from spilling to the floor. It was viscous enough that she was able to contain it.

“Shit! I’m so sorry, Katie!” Sherri said, covering her mouth with both hands.

“It’s okay, I think. Just have to clean it up I guess . . .” Katie looked around the table, but all she could find were newspapers. “Huh . . . It’s warmer than I thought . . .”

Everywhere the liquid touched left her skin flushed, and Katie could feel a tingling up and down her forearm. The sickly-sweet smell wafted up to her nose, making her feel lightheaded for a moment. “Should probably wash this off as soon as I can, I don’t think . . . that I should be letting it touch me. There should be some sponges under the sink. Can you grab one? Sherri? Sherri!”

Sherri shook with a start. “Right! Sponge. Sorry. Good idea. I’m on it. You feeling okay?”

“I’m fine, just . . . Hoping we can still salvage some. For Victoria.”

Katie tried her best to ignore the sensations in her arm as Sherri poked around under the sink. The tingling was growing more intense, but Katie found she was starting to enjoy it. That couldn’t be a good sign. She needed to get this stuff off of her, but didn’t want to risk losing it to the floor. “There should be one right there. Did you find it?”

A sponge flew over her shoulder and landed right on the table. The corner made contact with the liquid, and Katie watched the purple slowly seep into the soft porous material. “Hey, you’re going to make me do it?”

Sherri spoke from behind her. “Sorry, I . . . I don’t trust myself to touch it right now. I hope you understand.”

Part of Katie felt like she should be annoyed, but the emotion never surfaced. It made sense that Sherri was trying to distance herself. Katie would feel bad if she relapsed because of her. She needed to sop up as much of the liquid as she could and get it back into the container, and then she could see to getting her sister back once and for all.

“It’s fine,” Katie said. She righted the container, and then dipped the sponge into the purple puddle. Once it soaked up all it could hold, she held it above the container and gave it a squeeze. The sap oozed around her fingers, and Katie let out a short gasp. She had to be careful to make sure that it only dripped into the target, but the liquid felt wonderful as it trailed down her skin. And when she could wring out no more, she returned the sponge to the lake of sap.

“I guess I never finished answering your question. About what it felt like when I was trapped in that room. It was all pretty overwhelming, what with the spiral and that voice. I tried to focus on it, but . . . well I couldn’t exactly focus.

“I can’t say I actually heard it . . . It was more like I got a sense of what it was saying. First, it was encouraging me to relax. That part was easy, I was already quite out of it. I just let myself sink into the chair I was in.”

As Katie brought the full sponge to hover over the container once more, she felt Sherri’s hand land on her shoulder. The hand gave a gentle squeeze, and Katie couldn’t help but close her eyes and purr a bit at the sensations that radiated out from the touch, forgetting to wring out the sponge until a moment later.

“It felt so good to do what the voice said. I knew it had to be right, because of that. How could something that made you feel so good ever be wrong?”

A funny thought popped into Katie’s mind, and she couldn’t help but giggle. “You sound just like Dr. Navathe . . . When she’s doing that . . . that thing with Victoria . . .”

“Don’t worry about that, Katie,” Sherri said. “Focus on cleaning up as you listen to my story.”

Katie nodded her head and then squeezed the sponge. Sap flowed like spring water through her fingers once more, cascading downward to join the rest with a series of wet plops, leaving purple trails behind to stain her skin.

By now, Katie could feel the tingling between her thighs. She squeezed her legs together, letting out a moan at the unexpected pleasure that came forth. As she relished the sensations, it took her a moment to realize that Sherri had been talking to her.

“—and with every passing second, I found myself relaxing even more, like the voice was telling me to do. Eventually, I realized it was becoming difficult to think. Like my thoughts were draining right from my mind. Much like the sap drains from that sponge whenever you squeeze.”

A dopey grin wormed its way onto Katie’s face as her imagination followed what Sherri was saying. As she wrung the sponge out once more, she pictured the purple liquid as a representation of her own thoughts. Her worries about her sister vanished. Her anger about what had been done to Victoria washed away. All that was left was Sherri’s voice and that wonderful heat between her legs.

“That’s it, Katie. Good girl. Feeling so wonderful right now. But I know how to make you feel even better. If you’ll allow me . . .”

Sherri reached over Katie’s shoulder, her chest pushing against Katie’s back. Katie loved the feeling, and she leaned against Sherri. The arm that had been holding the puddle back fell down to Katie’s lap, and with it a small torrent of sap flowed over the edge, only to be soaked up by her pants. Delighting in the new source of pleasure as the sap warmed her skin, Katie didn’t notice the finger that Sherri dipped into the sap.

The finger came up to her mouth, the sap coating her lips, leaving them feeling so sensitive. The sponge all but forgotten, Katie opened her mouth to invite the finger in. It was sweet like honey, only so much more. She wrapped her tongue around the digit, hoping to get every last drop.

“There. Isn’t that wonderful?”

Katie could only moan in response as she continued to suck on the finger. When Sherri removed it with a wet pop, Katie leaned forward to chase it, but it was already out of reach. Katie groaned in defiance, only to be soothed by Sherri.

“It’s okay, Katie. There’s still more for you, but you have to do what I say, okay?”

“Okay . . .”

“First, I need you to get up and follow me, Katie. Can you do that?”

Katie furrowed her brow. “But . . . The honey . . . for Victoria?”

“Shh,” Sherri said as she stroked Katie’s short hair. “Don’t worry about that. We’ll take care of it later. Just do what I say, okay?”

And like that, Katie forgot about the spill on the table. It was no longer important, because Sherri said not to worry about it. She trusted Sherri. And if she did what Sherri said, she could get more of that divine honey.

Katie let Sherri guide her out of the chair and into another room. Behind them, the sap dripped onto the floor with a plop, plop, plop.

* * *