The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Hero of the Day

by J. Darksong

* * *

(Chapter 10: My Sacrifice)

Oh how quickly life can turn around... in an instant...

At least I had a field advantage. Yeah, I was outnumbered, but outside in the open like this, I could run rings around all of them. Besides, they were stuck playing defense, trying to keep Venus safe from me, but I was free to attack them at my leisure—

“YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH!” a feminine war cry shattered the relative quiet.

Oops. Spoke too soon. Instinct and excellent reflexes enabled me to leap to the side just in time to keep from being sliced in half. Glancing up, I stared into the angry, glaring visage of Avenging Angel, her glowing sword clutched tightly in both hands. With a flare of her wings, she lurched skyward again, raising her blade for another slice. I moved—or rather, TRIED to move, only to feel my body held fast in an impossibly tight embrace.

::Sorry, nephew:: Aunt Eva’s voice gloated in my head, ::but it’s all over for you now.::

Which meant I was being held by telekinesis. As the sword blade came slicing down towards me, I fired a sonic blast towards my mother, striking the gravel around her, bombarding her with small pebbles. Shrieking in surprise, she jerked back, covering her face, which broke her concentration just enough for me to slip free. The blade sliced through the shoulder of my costume, and drew blood, but all in all, I was still whole.

“Damn you,” Angelina cried, lifting back up into the air again, “stay still so that I can cleave your head from your body!”

“Yeah, right,” I yelled back, running my shoulder. “Since you asked so nicely, that’s EXACTLY what I’ll do—stand still and let you kill me.”

A quick glance left showed that the other two were making their move. Stonewall, the slowest of the group, was lumbering towards me, a veritable juggernaut of destruction, intent of crushing me into the ground. Worse yet, the Brazilian bombshell, Scarlet Dynamo, had picked up a parked car with on hand and thrown it in my direction. While I was pretty sure I could dodge both of them relatively easily, I was more concerned about the crowd of unconscious, helpless citizens sprawled all along the city streets. Cursing lightly under my breath, I raised both my arms, amping up my sonic blasts enough to destroy the car, exploding it high enough and far enough away from the crowd that the left over debris did little damage.

Which was not the case with Stonewall’s impact when he hit me seconds later.

“UUUGGHHHHH!!” I gasped, the wind knocked out of me, as he barreled into me, sending me flying back several feet across the pavement. I rolled over onto my side, hurt, but in too deep now to worry about it. I rolled back up to my feet, dodging as he charged again, then dipping to the left, narrowly avoiding the glowing sword, then to the right to dodge a vicious kick from the Amazonian warrior. A familiar tingle, like static electricity was the only warning I received to move yet again as my mother’s telekinetic grip tried to clamp down on me once more.

Shit. I’m getting nowhere fast this way. So much for having the advantage of having room to run... it’s giving them an even bigger advantage than me! Not to mention the fact that I seem to be the only one concerned with keeping the innocent bystanders out of harm’s way—I’m pretty sure that Scarlet Dynamo would have rather taken a bullet to the brain than EVER harm an innocent before her indoctrination into the so-called ‘Cult of Love’. I’ve got to move this battle someplace where I can lessen the chance of someone getting hurt... hopefully including myself!

With no other nearby choices, I ran up the stairs to City Hall, sprinting inside the newly refurbished lobby. Glancing around, I nodded, impressed. Okay, I have to admit it, they really did a nice job for the amount of time they’ve had to rebuild. I’d half expected to still see area’s covered with plywood and plastic or something... I almost regret bringing the fight in here. Of course, the twinges of pain in my chest, back, legs, and arms reminded me that I hadn’t had much choice in the matter. Breathing a bit heavily, I powered up, taking aim at the front door, trying to think of some alternate plan of attack.

Glass shattered. Pieces of the skylight fell against the marble floor as Avenging Angel crashed through. My attention fixed on the doorway, I was caught off guard. I dodged her sword strike but took a glancing cut across my chest, and wasn’t able to escape the kick she followed up with. Staggering back, I turned in time to see Scarlet Dynamo enter through the doorway... followed up seconds later by Stonewall, who decided to forego using a door at all, knocking a hole in the newly constructed front wall.

“Okay...” I said after a moment, catching my breath. “I don’t suppose there’s any chance you three would like to discuss this like rational civilized human beings, is there? Because I really think this is all just a big misunderstanding—” I whirled around then, firing a full power blast at Angel, and, as hoped, she brandished her sword to block the attack—

Which dissipated harmlessly.

Turning again, I fired a second blast at Dynamo, hoping at least to stun her into submission. With perfectly trained warrior instincts, she brought up her arms, clad with her mystical golden bracelets, to block my attack—

Which, again, dissipated into nothingness.

Both women glared at me, stalking towards my location. “Um... okay. Note to self: metal shredding sonic energy has no effect on futuristic alien-mined swords or divine-powered mystical jewelry. Got it. Lesson learned. So... any chance I still interest you lovely ladies in the whole ‘talking things over’ idea?”

“Enough talk, Sonic,” Angel growled, charging forward once more. “The sooner I end this, the sooner my Goddess can continue Her most noble quest. You will NOT stand in Her way!” She lunged, seeking to drive the blade deep into my gullet, and again I dodged. Furious, she launched into a volley of swift sword strikes, slashing like a woman possessed. I continued to hold my own, but I was beginning to wear down, and so far I’d done nothing more than piss them off slightly while I looked much the worse for wear. I had to think of something soon...

“OUCH!” Angel cried, wincing as a pottery vase shattered against her back. Whirling around, she glared at Stonewall, who looked somewhat sheepishly at the ground. “Watch where you’re throwing, you Neanderthal!”

“HEY!” he shouted back. “I’m as much a part of Goddess Aphrodite’s plan as you are! For all yer swinging and slashing, you ain’t done no real damage to the kid. I at least knocked him down!”

I was already acting in the plan even as it formed in my head. “He’s right, Angel. Face it... I’m out of your league. After all, take away your overgrown butter knife, and what are you? A flippin’ Barbie doll with wings!” Stonewall laughed heartily, until I turned to face him. “Of course, you’re not much better, ‘Rocky’... yeah, you’re a real brawler, with a pretty mean left hook... but giving you anything more mentally taxing than remembering your own name, and you fall apart at the seams!” The laughter stopped. “I’m pretty sure if the Goddess had required a 6th grade equivalency exam before adding you to her cause, she’d have dropped you like a hot potato. It’s a good thing your head is as hard as granite so it can protect that massive brain of yours from being damaged—oops. Never mind. I spoke too soon.”

“You son of a bitch!” Stonewall roared, charging like a bull. “I’ll fuckin’ kill you!”

Just as I’d hoped. Moving swiftly to the side, I turned, coming up behind the charging behemoth, firing a shot of sonic energy at his back. Propelled forward, he stumbled headlong, out of control, into a startled Avenging Angel. Unable to take flight in the low ceilinged room, she brought up her sword, to ward him off. Unable to stop, however, Stonewall barreled into her, continuing back into the far wall with a sickening crunch. The golem shook his head, stepping back, allowing his ‘ally’ to slide down the wall. Angela let out a deep sigh before slipping into blissful unconsciousness.

“Clever,” Dynamo said, hovering near the opposite corner. “Using the dullard that way to do what you could not. I see now why the Goddess wants you destroyed. Your powers are pitiful, but behind your comical exterior lies a keen intellect. I shall not underestimate you.”

“Yeah, well, I was afraid of that,” I said somberly. “Luckily, I don’t have to outwit you, Scarlet, just him.” Calling over my shoulder, modulating my voice to sound like the Brazilian Amazon, I yelled, “Stay back, you brick brained buffoon! I shall handle him myself! I don’t want your clumsy, bumbling moronic self wrecking things now that I finally have him where I want him!”

Scowling, Stonewall glanced from a surprised Scarlet Dynamo, to me, and then back to Dynamo once more. “You know, babe,” he said in a low deep voice, stomping his way towards us both, “under normal circumstances, I don’t allow anyone to get away from making fun of me. All my life, people used to laugh at me, and call me stupid... and all my life, I’ve been beating the shit out of every single person what done disrespected me! Goddess Aphrodite has shown me a different path... a way to use my power and strength for more than to just go around bustin’ heads.” Glaring at her face to face, he cracked his knuckles. “Still, seems to me, the Goddess didn’t say nuthin’ ‘bout having to put up with some smart-mouthed, snooty, uppity bitch!”

CRACK!

Stonewall swung, leveling Scarlet Dynamo with a haymaker that sent her flying back into the far wall so hard it cracked the plaster, leaving an imprint of her body. Hell, the impact of the hit alone was enough to knock me off my feet and shatter all the windows in the lobby, and I wasn’t even the target. Sometimes, being a super, you kinda take some things for granted, not really noticing just how strong or how powerful a person is, until something happens to remind you.

I’ve fought Stonewall Jackson a few times, taken a few good hits that left me with broken bones and bloody lips, but for all his posturing and posing, he’s never really hit me with a good, solid blow. My body is enhanced somewhat by my powers; my muscle and bone structure is somewhat denser than normal to withstand my sound dispensing and high speed abilities. I’m tougher than your average run-of-the-mill person on the street. Suffice it to say, had Stonewall hit me HALF as hard as he just nailed Scarlet Dynamo, I’d be playing a golden harp somewhere before my shattered broken corpse even hit the ground.

That said, you can imagine the look of surprise on both of our faces when Dynamo pushed herself free from the wall, licked the single drop of blood from her bottom lip, and narrowed her deep green eyes at man who’d decked her.

“Alright,” she rasped, making a fist, drawing back. “Now that was a mistake.”

Flying forward, Scarlet Dynamo slammed a brutal punch into Stonewall’s jaw. The man-mountain flew backwards, airborne, crashing through the front wall of the building, leaving yet another gaping hole as he continued on his path into the building across the street. Breathing heavily, she shook her hand, trying to rub away the numbness. Superhuman strength or not, it hurts like hell when you punch living granite. Satisfied that Stonewall was down for the count, she turned back towards me, her real adversary. “Now then,” she said, still rubbing her hand, “where were we?”

“Right here, hon,” I replied, leveling HER with my own haymaker. A sonic punch to the temple later, she hit the floor, groaning softly, trying to keep from going unconscious. “Sorry about the sucker punch. I know, completely unsportsmanlike... but you didn’t exactly give me much of a choice. And after seeing you deck Stonewall with one punch... well, thus far, only Omega Girl’s knocked him farther than you did, and if you’re on her level, I’m not about to take any chances.” With one last sigh, her eyes crossed and she fainted. Sighing deeply myself, I made my way back outside through the hole in the wall.

* * *

“Excellent work, Parker dear,” Venus Satore replied, clapping her hands lightly. “I’m very impressed. I’ve always said the most important quality for a hero is heart. And you have heart, no doubt about it.”

“Goddess Aphrodite,” I said wearily, glancing around warily. “I’d half expected you to make your escape while your stooges kept me busy. I was just wondering how I was going to track you down. So... why didn’t you run?”

“Run?” She laughed, a soft tinkling sound that caused goose bumps to run up and down my spine. “Why would I run from you, dear Parker. I’ve been waiting for this moment, after all... the moment when you prove yourself fully worthy to serve me. You’ve already shown your determination and resourcefulness, your cunning and skill, and your never-say-die attitude. Yes, I have stronger, faster, more powerful servants at my disposal, but none with as much potential as you, Parker.” She smiled, a gleaming panel of whiteness, and I found myself enamored once more. “Join me, Parker,” she said, holding out a hand. “This time, of your own free will. Help me to usher in a new age, the likes of which this world has never seen!”

She was far enough away from me this time that I wasn’t completely overwhelmed by her presence, but the allure of her was still strong. “Sorry, Venus,” I said with an effort, “but I can’t accept. I’m sorry your mom was killed... I’m sorry you were abused and mistreated as a child... and I’m sorry you’re mad at the whole entire world... but I’m not about to just stand by while you brainwash the entire planet! Face it... you’re NOT some benevolent being trying to make the world a better place! You sent Avenging Angel and Scarlet Dynamo after me to stop me—by any means necessary. One of them nearly CUT OFF MY HEAD, and the other threw a car into a crowd of helpless unconscious people, innocent bystanders, just to get to me!”

Sighing dramatically, she shook her head. “Well, I’m sorry that you can’t seem to understand where I’m coming from, Parker. What I’m trying to achieve here is bigger, and more important, than just you and me. I’m trying to reshape the world into a better place... a place of complete peace and tranquility... of love and pleasure and happiness.” She gestured with her hand flippantly. “What are the lives of a few people compared to the grand scheme of things? Any good cook will tell you, you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.”

I shook my head to clear it. Her words were starting to effect me, reminding of that familiar feeling of duality of being split down the middle. What she was saying disgusted and appalled me, and yet, I found myself responding, agreeing with her. She seemed to almost shimmer before my eyes in the sunlight, glowing with an almost heavenly light.

I can’t really resist her, anyway. I mean... what’s the point? Sure, I fought through her little vanguard to get to her... but now that I have, what can I do? How can I stop someone so mighty? So magnificent? So... utterly beautiful—

And suddenly I realized just what was happening here.

“I’m not much for omelets,” I replied, firing a sonic blast at her head. “I prefer my eggs scrambled!”

The energy wave struck true... then dissipated, causing her to stagger slightly, but otherwise having no effect. “And speaking of scrambled eggs, Aunt Eva, your so-called Goddess must have scrambled yours to think you could push all this into my head without me noticing! Overlapping her image over yours was a good trick... fooling my brain to think your voice was hers was an even better trick... but you overplayed your hand when you tried to shift my very thoughts into doubting myself. Your own lustful, obedience heavy thoughts bled into the connection, and I recognized it as the same blissed-out thinking I’d been having when I was still under her sway... nearly word for word, thought for thought.”

Venus shimmered and vanished, leaving the haughty smirking image of Aunt Eva before me, alongside my mother. “Parker... you always were too clever for your own good,” my mother said with a sigh. “Well, we gave you a chance, every possible chance to make this easy on yourself. If you won’t join us of your own free will... you’ll join us by our Goddess’ will!” I felt them then, pressing into my mind, hard, digging and forcing their way in. Pain lanced through my skull, and everything turned red.

“Submit, newphew,” Eva said, her words echoing oddly in my ear and in my head. “Just give in. Stop fighting me, and the pain will go away.”

“NNnnnnnnoooooo...” I grunted, sinking to my knees, clutching my head in agony, feeling her sink her claws in even deeper. “You... can’t... control... me... Aunt... Eva...” I managed through gritted teeth. It was almost more than I could stand, but I was still myself, still in control. I was battered, broken, bleeding, but I wasn’t going to give in.

“You can’t resist, son,” my mother’s voice sounded as well. “You know you can’t. You don’t even really want to. You’re just being stubborn. Come on... relax... let Eva and I take away the hurt, the suffering... the loneliness. Submit to the Goddess’ will like before... and we can be a family again.”

Okay. That struck a nerve. Dirty pool... but I was starting to bend. My head hurt, my body hurt, my MIND hurt... why the hell was I putting myself through this? I wasn’t strong enough to fight this onslaught indefinitely. I could already feel myself beginning to crack under the strain... not to mention what this mental battle of wills was doing to my mind itself. Groaning, I slipped down to my other knee, kneeling now, still struggling but losing ground.

No good... this won’t end... til one of us submits... or until one of us is dead...

Hmmm... then I guess... I’ll have to make... them... submit...

Focusing through the pain, I pitched my voice into the subsonics range. “Eva, Ana, you are both feeling tired... very tired,” I sent, hoping my success last night with the twins would repeat itself here. “Your eyes are getting heavy... so heavy... the strain of expending so much power... leaving you both drained... so drained...” The pressure in my head was lifting. Either this was working, or I was pretty close to being a mental meat puppet already. “You’re almost out of steam,” I pressed on, “just barely hanging on... all your energy and strength being spend now just to keep your eyes open...” the pressure inside my head easing even more, leaving behind just a dull ache now, “...just a little longer... but its so hard to stay awake... too hard to stay awake... and so your eyes close...” a soft sigh escapes both their lips simultaneously “...and finally... you sleep.”

Weary, I regain my feet, shaking my head. That was close, closer than I’d even like to contemplate. My head felt funny, as it were, as if there was something wrong. I sneezed, wiping my nose, then frowned, seeing the blood on my hand. Okay... bleeding from my nose, not a good sign, since its about the one part of my body where I haven’t been hit yet. Staggering, overcome with a sudden dizziness, I glanced around for Aphrodite. As much as I’d gone through today, I wouldn’t be done until I’d stopped her.

“Super Sonic!”

I turned, glancing left and right, looking for the voice. A gunshot rang out, and I whirled around, spun around by the impact and pain in my right shoulder. Slipping out from behind the limousine, clutching a police issue revolver in her hand, Venus Satore stepped forward. I moved to run, to dodge the next shot with a burst of speed... but my body, too banged up from everything I’d endured already, refused to respond. I fell, landing in a heap on the pavement, groaning deeply in pain as a thick inky blackness gathered at the edge of my vision.

The woman stalked towards me now, still holding the gun tightly in her hands. “This isn’t the way it was supposed to work out, you know,” she said, stopping to stand right above me. “I didn’t want it to come down to this. Believe it or not, those were my words Eva spoke to you. I admire your heart... your dedication. I wanted you to fight FOR me, not against me.” She shook her head. “You just wouldn’t listen to reason. I’m sorry it has to be this way... but I just can’t allow you to stop my plans for world conquest.” Cocking the pistol, she took aim, straight for my head. “If it comes down to you or me, Parker... it’s going to be me.”

My thoughts exactly, I said to myself, pointing a finger upwards at the weapon.

BANG!

* * *

They say your life flashes before your eyes right before you die, that in that brief moment between life and death, your mind, that living computer that stores all of who you are, replays your entire existence one last time. They also say that there’s a long dark tunnel that you travel through, that there’s a glorious, all-consuming light at the end, the light of eternity, that you’re striving to reach.

For me, it happened much differently.

Time slowed to a crawl, almost stopping, but not quite. I heard the shot, smelled the sulfur of the gunfire, even saw the bright flash of the explosion as the bullet was ejected from its chamber. Less than a yard away from my head, yet it seemed forever before it edge pulled free from the barrel of the gun. At the same time, I felt, as well as saw, the power leave my hand, a final blast of sonic energy fired, not in desperation, but in resignation, knowing my own fate, hoping only to deter the destiny of my adversary as well. Bullet and energy wave passed one another, each set in motion now beyond their owners’ ability to stop, even had we wanted to. As the bullet stretched closer, and closer still, I wondered briefly, did I truly wish for this fate?

Sometimes life is hard. Sometimes life is about pain. I’d endured more than most, physical, mental, and emotional. I’ve lived with hate, with failure, with neglect, with self-doubt and hopelessness, with pain, suffering, and loss. I was called a ‘hero’, a ‘savior’, but in the end, who had I really saved? In the grand scheme of things, who was better off because of my actions? I saved a busload of children from a megalomaniacal villain one week, only to rush again to their aid the following week, saving them from another insane madman. A clever wordsmith had coined the phrase ‘the never-ending fight for truth and justice’. If only he knew how right he was.

Never-ending. That was life... a never ending struggle to survive, one fight after another, after another, ad infinitum, until you finally lose. The best, the VERY best, you can hope for is to go out heroically, to die in a way that your sacrifice is a benefit to those you leave behind.

As the bullet crawled forward on to its inevitable end, my energy wave struck true. In this eerie half-life of crawling time, I saw the look of shock register on Venus’ face as the gun shattered in her hand. I continued to watch, fascinated, as metal twisted and bent, tearing, shearing, shredding under the effects of the sonic concussion wave. Bits and pieces of metal flew in all directions, deadly shrapnel dancing strangely through the air like small black ravens, their doomed flight signaling a foreboding end for she who had released them.

Metal pierced flesh, shredding soft tissue, muscle, and sinew. Blood, issuing forth like a budding flower, grew forth, slowly, spreading its red rosy petals from her hand, making it look as if she were holding a perfect red rose. Other shards flew, most landing harmlessly on the pavement... but one flew upwards, up, up, towards the beautiful, flawless visage of Venus Satore, her lovely cruel features twisted into a look of utter horror as she watched her own destiny approaching her.

The bullet loomed before me now, filling my vision. It seemed huge, impossibly huge, larger than a school bus, filling my vision. Just before the blackness claimed me, however, I was granted one last vision. People, standing, circled around the so-called Goddess as she knelt, clutching her mangled flesh... looking on her, not with love and devotion, but with overwhelming pity. Her hold over them broken, the illusion shattered by the harsh light of reality. Such a bright, shining light...

And then, darkness claimed me.

((end of chapter 10))