The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

In a Lightning Flash

by Baerd

Chapter 5

Harriet looked at Linda, puzzled, and said “Come here, child.”

Linda had a bit of trouble getting to her feet as Julia rushed past her to bury her face frantically in Harriet’s pussy. Harriet looked down at Julia and then moved backward and down, parting her legs so Julia had access. Julia was frantically fingering herself, and a guy came up behind her and began fucking her with the same apparent need.

“Sit next to me,” invited Harriet. “We need to talk.”

Linda moved to obey, her body singing with the sexual energy and desire, but her mind clear. It was like there was a wall between her rational, intellectual self and her body with its primal, sexual needs and desires. She had the odd feeling like Julia could be doing her very best between her legs and other parts of her body, and she would enjoy it immensely, but still be able to talk with this... this... amazingly attractive woman.

“Now, dear, ooh, yes, Julia, right there honey, that’s so good, tell me, you can see the energy and the time-release capsules of it that keep exposed people no longer in an energy surge from being depressed and miserable?“

“I can, sort of, but it isn’t really seeing, exactly. It’s like my mind tells me what’s there, I can sense it somehow. I can feel the surges themselves, and, like, the energy flowing out of the cave and inside the cave, and wow is it something! I feel that in my body, and how it responds to it, but also in my mind.“

“Hmm. And you feel it now?” asked Harriet.

God, yes! Are you doing something to let me talk to you? Because I would be fucking anyone and everyone here otherwise.” She yelped and gasped in pleasure as one of Julia’s hands slid two fingers inside her flooded slick pussy and began working it. “Oh, thank God, Julia, yes!“

“Doing something? Yes, sort of, in a way. It’s kind of an energy re-routing in a couple of spots in your brain. It’s the same way I can talk to you like this, otherwise I would be doing the exact same thing. It allows us to think and fuck at the same time. I sort of developed this, what, skill? out of a survival instinct. It was literally killing me to have as much sex as was needed to set the time-release energy in people. I have to control my thinking and, to some extent, my body, or I couldn’t manage it. I just created a buffer like mine in your brain,” said Harriet. “What you feel as surges or waves, I now feel all the time. I only have so much stamina!”

Linda goggled at her words. All the time? Oh my God! Linda wondered how long she herself could take it before fucking herself to death. Not that long!

Harriet continued, “As it was, if Jack hadn’t been here, and then brought down the sports drinks, June and I would probably be in a coma by now.” Harriet looked Linda over as their bodies responded to Julia’s fingers and tongue. “You... are different from most people. Your neurological wiring is just a tiny bit different, but it is enough to allow you to sense the energy in a way no one else seems to be able. This is very good. Did you feel depressed when the energy was gone?”

Harriet suddenly grasped Julia’s head and thrust against it, crying out as she came. Julia’s hand, however, didn’t miss a beat inside of Linda as she did.

“Um, the energy was never completely gone, it just got lessened by a lot. It got harder for me to feel after the wave passed, but it was still there. Some of it came from the others around me, like Julia and Jocelyn, but some came from here.”

“Yes, that must be the time-release capsules, I think,” said Harriet. Julia switched places.

“But it wasn’t all from them. Oh, holy shit! Hi Julia! Damn, she is really good at that! I’m going to cum in a few seconds,” said Linda. Seconds later, she did, as did Julia, and the man behind Julia as well, and the woman who was licking where the man and Julia met. The young man fucking that woman came a moment later.

“There, the capsules are set for them, but it will take a few minutes and a couple of orgasms before they can stop.” said Harriet.

Linda felt the energy in the cave decline somewhat, but Harriet still glowed—well, “glowed” was really the only way she could think of it, though there was no light involved—with it like a little warm sexy sun in the cave. That “light” was dimming while moving in an odd way, both inside Harriet’s body and outside it.

The orgy reconfigured itself, but oddly, Linda and Harriet were left out, and Julia raised her glistening face from Linda’s pussy. “Oh, that’s better! That, Linda, was nice! I would like to do that with you on a regular basis. I love your taste! Harriet, damn woman you look like sex personified, and I am going to want to 69 with you in a few, but I have a message from Jocelyn. Is there anything you can do about birth control? Otherwise, every woman in town is going to be continuously preggers, and usually by a son or a father, and, you know, genetic issues.“

‘Oh, damn, I hadn’t thought of that!” answered Harriet.

“Yeah, Jocelyn and Veronica thought you might not have.” said Julia. “We also noticed that no one is being forced, or raped, at least not in town, and some people, God knows why, have actually said ‘no’. People just find someone who is willing, not that those are hard to find! One just jilled herself since no one willing was around. Her uptight husband was appalled, and stayed on the far side of the room, according to Veronica. He’s no longer uptight since the last wave, by the way.”

“I was actually worried about that, like at the edges of the waves, where one person might be in and the closest person not. That is very good to hear, and interesting at the same time. No one?“

“No one we know of. Though something scary did kind of happen to Juliette at the college today. A lot of guys wanting her that she didn’t care for. Darren had to fight them off, then the two of them got caught fucking each other in the janitor’s closet. Dave and I had to go pick them up. They’re likely expelled.”

“So the energy in each calls to the other.... The people who said ‘no’, they’re untreated?” asked Harriet.

“Come to think of it, yes.”

“Had they been exposed?” asked Harriet.

“Hard to tell,” said Julia. There were only a few of them, and I would bet they live on the edge where one of those waves got weak or stopped. They didn’t say ‘no’ long when the last wave hit!”

“They were all fucking with abandon in that last wave,” said Linda. “I didn’t really see anything before it though, so I wouldn’t know.“

“How bad was it?” asked Harriet, worried.

Bad? It wasn’t bad at all!” said Julia, reaching over and fingering Harriet’s pussy with one hand and her breast with the other. Linda found her fingers busy at her own.

“I mean how strong? Is the cave not containing enough of the energy” said Harriet, her concern evident amid little appreciative noises.

“It was pretty strong in the church,” said Linda. It was my first, so I can only compare it to being in here. It was about maybe a half as strong as what was happening in here before. It was about three times as strong as it is in here right now. Oh, and Jocelyn put a rush on the fencing.”

“Linda, I have a favor to ask. I haven’t given you a time-release energy capsule yet, hecause I’m not sure if you need one, and I need to find out how far the next wave travels. It will happen when the next group comes down. If you find yourself getting depressed, turn around. You need to go by yourself, both so you don’t get distracted and so anyone who might go with you doesn’t increase the range of the wave. We need to keep those who have been exposed, and especially those who have been treated, as far from the fencing as possible. I wouldn’t send you, but we need the information and you are the only way to get it. Also, please tell jocelyn and Veronica that I will see what we can do about contraception.”

“I will,” said Linda, and came on her two middle fingers, hard.

After a moment, she asked, “You’re the librarian; do you know, has this ever happened before?”

“I... mmm, that’s nice dear, think so. There are hints of such things in history. It looks like certain authorities destroyed the places and people in which it happened, at least those that they became aware of. There have been a couple of island civilization where I suspect it happened and went unchecked, but the distance from anyone else prevented the spread, and the way of life continued after the... surges ended. Such uninhibited behavior scares people, and with good reason. It is why we are trying so hard to contain this, so frightened people won’t see us as a threat and destroy us. We also have technology that those previous people didn’t have, and we are bringing that to bear on the issue as well. We may be able to stave off a lot of the fears of earlier peoples.” answered Harriet.

“Like birth control?” asked Linda.

“Well, yes. though I was thinking more of the Faraday cage. As for birth control, if what I plan on checking doesn’t work out, we can go to implants for birth control, or something like that. But hopefully, we can avoid even that need. Can you imagine a town full of women and men with a pregnancy fetish? These things are getting developed with environmental factors and exposure to the energy, like one young man who was watching “Grey’s Anatomy” on television when it hit—he now has a doctor fetish.”

“And I get off on being tied up for the same reason. Olivia and June have a breastfeeding thing, from opposite sides, because she was feeding her baby when it hit. My kids and husband and I are incestuous because of it. And so on and so forth.” explained Julia.

“So, people would get off on being pregnant or being with a pregnant woman?” asked Linda, wide-eyed.

:More like fucking pregnant women than ‘being with’ them!” said Julia with a laugh.

“Yes. Exactly. Best to head that one off at the pass if we can. Ah! They’re starting to come out of it, now,” said Harriet, casting an eye over the slowing orgy participants. I’ll know by morning if we need to order a bunch of implants. Please tell that to Jocelyn and Veronica as well, if you would!”

“No problem,” said Linda. “How are you going to check it out?”

“I’m going to check with a friend,” Harriet answered.

Linda studied her. “A friend...?”

Harriet smiled. “Indeed! Her name is Lily.”

Linda looked at Harriet oddly for a long moment. “She’s... dimmed herself?” Linda asked.

Harriet cocked an eyebrow. “Right now, yes,” answered Harriet. She glanced toward the others, about to reach what had to be a final climax for a while. “I will introduce you to her later, after you get us this important information. She is looking forward to meeting you. You’ll like her as well, I’m sure!”

“O...kay,” said Linda, looking doubtful.

“Think of it this way, if I told someone that a friend could sense energies in people, and feel the energy waves no one else could feel, how would they react?” Harriet asked.

“Well... okay, I see. I look forward to meeting her, too, I guess,” Linda admitted.

“Good woman! Please help these folks back up to the church. Give me a little time before the next group, maybe half an hour or forty-five minutes. That will give you time to talk to Jocelyn and then get in position, too. And I need the break.” said Harriet. Then she turned as someone else entered the cave. “Hi Jack! Feeling better?”

Jack came in and Julia greeted him, “Hi Jack! Back to check on the love of your life?”

“I am,” said Jack, and looked at Linda. “Hello there! You look remarkably unexhausted!”

“We had a talk while everyone else got treated,” said Harriet. “This is Linda. She can see and feel the energy in a way different from anyone else.”

“Oh?” said Jack.

“Um, yeah. It’s hard to describe,” Linda admitted.

“I can imagine!” said Jack, smiling openly.

Linda suddenly understood that he could understand, because the woman he loved experienced things differently than anyone else, too. “I look forward to getting to know you better later, right now I’ve got some things to do for Harriet.” Linda smiled, “Take care of your lady! I don’t know how she’s keeping up with the demand.“

“Tell me about it!” Jack rolled his eyes and grinned. “I brought some things to help her keep her strength up. I’m glad June is on a break!” The he looked at the people slowly getting dressed. “You and Julia taking them back up?

“Yeah.”

“He may be older, but he’s good! You could do worse than taking him... anywhere, for that matter!” said Julia.

“You are insatiable, woman!” he smiled at Julia, who smiled back and squeezed his shoulder.

“Take care of her, old man,” Julia said as they got up and rearranged clothing and reclaimed flashlights.

“I will, as often and as much as she’ll let me,” he said, and Harriet and Julia both laughed. “Go on, now, leave me with my love!”

“Where’s Heather?” Julia asked, looking towards the cave entrance.

“Taking a shower, having a bite to eat, and getting some more supplies for tonight. We don’t know how long we’ll be down here.”

“Good point,” said Julia.

The group filed out of the cave, and Jack’s voice floated out after them, “I brought some more sports drink, and a sandwich and pudding for you, dear. Also some wipes and baby powder to help you feel a little fresher....”

They walked for a bit, and Linda said, “He really does love her, doesn’t he? He’s not, like, in thrall to her or anything. That was real loving care.”

“Yep. They were dating when this whole thing started, apparently. Some of the first exposed. Probably saving our asses right along with Jocelyn... and you, now, I’m guessing.”

“Me? I can just feel it, I can’t be that important!”

“Honey, you’re important like a thinking Geiger counter is important in a nuclear accident. Did you not realize?” said Julia. “You are dealing with the important people in this mess, and they are listening to you because you have vital info, and good sense. You’re even going to meet the mysterious Lily, and I can count the number of people who’ve done that on one, well, maybe two hands, but still....”

“I didn’t know,” said Linda.

“Keep together, folks, watch the path! We get up to the road and the church is just a little ways on,” Julia said in a strident tone, and some of the obviously weary stragglers of the group straightened up and drew closer to the rest. “Yes, dear, congratulations, you’re drafted onto the emergency town council to deal with this crisis.”

“Are you on it, too?”

“Hell, no! I just have friends in high places!” exclaimed Julia. “Them, and a big nose, and a sex drive that won’t quit. I hear things.”

“Uh-huh. And you’re observant and you think even when you are in the throes of titanic orgasms.” observed Linda.

“Well, there is that, but so do you.”

Linda grinned. “Secret agent slut?”

“Just a slut, thank you, and a damn good one! I thoroughly enjoy my work!”

They both laughed. “You are damned good at it, I will say,” Linda agreed. “You listened to everything we said, and you’re going to report it to Jocelyn and Veronica.“

“Smart woman! See, that’s why you’re playing with the big girls!”

Linda shook her head. It made sense, she was an unknown, they’d have to judge how she would perform in this emergency. She did realize now that this was an emergency, and it really was quite likely their lives were actually riding on how well they handled it. When you’re in the middle of the orgy, it’s hard to recognize it as an emergency. But she’d seen and heard enough tonight to make her realize it. And then it really hit her—she really did need to get good information on how far the waves were getting before fading out. That was all on her.

They entered the church and folks went to sit and talk, and maybe sleep before the next wave started. She and Julia went directly to the church office. Chad was sleeping stretched out on the floor, and Juliette and Dave were curled in a corner, napping, while Darren was talking with Jocelyn.

“....So the other young adults are pretty much happy with things, they’re not as bothered as the adult non-treateds, and even the adults are less concerned than they were. Of the prepuberty kids, the oldest are pretty good about looking after the youngers during the waves. They understand the adults are not going to be able to help them during one, and most are taking it very seriously. I told Bobby Gentry that if he got into trouble during those times his parents would tie him up to make sure he didn’t get in trouble while the adults were ‘busy’. He got bug-eyed and said he’d be good. His mom nodded, and he pinky-promised he be good.”

“Thank you, Darren. Please keep an ear out and let me know of any trouble spots showing up, okay?”

“Will do,” said Darren, and smiled at his mother as he left the office. She smiled back and watched with pride as he left.

“So how did it go?” asked Jocelyn as they got to the desk.

“Harriet’s pussy tastes much the same as it did several hours ago. Jack’s down there with her now getting her fed and cleaned up a bit. I’m sure the only thing she really wants now is an actual shower.”

Jocelyn gave a gesture that plainly said “Really, your telling me this?” as Julia started speaking, but then she took the last part in and nodded seriously.

“Good,” she said, then looked at Linda.

“It was interesting, both the conversation and the experience. First, I’m to tell you that she will look into the birth control issue. We updated her on what was happening up here—we had a relatively normal conversation while an orgy was going on, including us! She says she developed the skill to allow that as a survival mechanism. Then the wave eased up and Julia joined us, though she was listening closely the entire time. I’m supposed to go out before the next wave starts and see how far it extends from the cave and church, and how close to the fence they’re working on it gets. She also says she wants me to meet Lily.”

Jocelyn cocked an eyebrow at that. “Okay. Welcome to the inner circle.”

“Told you,” smirked Julia.

“Wow, you are so... I don’t know, relaxed? about everything!” Linda exclaimed.

“I am just being my true authentic self, which is fun and enjoyable. It doesn’t mean I’m unaware of what may happen if we fail. I’m just enjoying the now.” said Julia, a bit more seriously.

“She’s better than she used to be,” said Jocelyn. “She used to press diamonds out of coal with her asshole.” Julia laughed at that. “She set an example no one could live up to as a ‘proper woman and mother’. She’s a lot more fun these days. Just go with it, if you can.“

“Oh, I can! I’m just startled by how relaxed she actually is!” said Linda with a smile.

“You should get a head start. The next group will be going down in few minutes,” said Jocelyn, shifting the conversation.

“Harriet asked for a bit of a delay. This is hard on her, no pun intended at all. When there are a bunch of people down there with her it gets... intense,” said Linda, and Julia nodded.

She needs a chance to eat and rest, and this is going to cause more and more people to need to be treated,” Julia added.

“Okay, then, we’ll give her half an hour or so. Thank you both!”

“Good! I want to find Larry. Have you eaten, Julia? Actual food, I mean!” asked Linda.

“No. No, I haven’t.”

Jocelyn said in a no-nonsense tone, “There’s pizza out there. Go get some and eat it. The pizza arrived mid-wave. The pizza guy has three women sitting on him now. Holding him down, I mean. They’re not going to let him leave, not that he really wants to.”

“I’ll go with you,” said Linda. The two left in search of the cooling pizza.

Jocelyn looked at he naked son, asleep on the floor, his cock semi-erect and twitching. It had been a long day, and would be a longer night, but at least her son was here to help. She knew the next wave would be even more powerful, and then the one after that.... She went to grab a cold slice of pizza herself, and to see what Veronica was doing.

Linda found Larry and Jocelyn found Veronica in the same place, talking with a group of people. Actually, Veronica was doing the talking and Larry was dozing in a pew nearby. Veronica had been with Larry during the last wave, along with Jocelyn, Chad, and Olivia, though Olivia was somewhere else caring for her infant at the moment. When he heard her voice, Larry roused and smiled at her. When she smiled back, he got to his feet and came in for long hug.

“I so missed you this last time!” he said. “It... it wasn’t the same without you. I... think... I need you. I mean, you know, um....” he flushed bright red.

“Yeah, I do know. The cave was a trip, but not... um... I have to do something during the next wave, but the one after that, I want both of us to go down together, okay? Do the whole thing together. We might have Julia tagging along, though, just to warn you.” When Larry looked puzzled, she explained, “I didn’t get treated while I was there. I spent the time talking with Harriet while everyone else, ah, got theirs. And Julia, well, it seems that Julia has sort of taken a liking to me, not just the sex thing. I think she wants to be my friend.”

“Oh, with benefits!” came Julia’s voice from behind her, and Linda started.

Larry chuckled. “She was behind you the whole time,” he said.

“That’s okay,” said Linda, “I wouldn’t say anything behind her back that I wouldn’t say in front of her. I’m actually very happy about both of those things!”

Larry saw Julia suddenly appear to get something in her eye and move away. “Neither of you has had a close friend in a while, have you?”

“I’ve spent years trying to be a wallflower, and now, I’m finding that I can’t be that anymore. Julia’s situation is... very different but also similar. This whole thing has kind of blown our covers, and we’re both happier now, I think. I think we’ve got an odd but solid foundation to build a real friendship on. And she likes the taste of both my juices and your cum, so expect to see a lot of her. You okay with that?”

“Actually, yes, I think I am. I like her. Sharp and blunt, and real, all at the same time. She’s fun, too.”

“Good!” Linda said, relieved. “I was worried that one of you... well....”

“I think I understand. Remember, I’ve been a bit of a loner, too, and now that I’ve made this connection with you... I’m just going to shut up, now. I don’t want to mess anything up before... shutting up now!“

Linda smiled brightly and kissed him for a while. “Stick with Veronica for this wave, too, if you would. I like and trust her, too.”

“Yeah. Not to sound smitten with ber or anything, but she’s impressive! You should watch her do her job, her calling, I guess I should say. She is incredible at helping people through things that are eating them alive! So nonjudgenental, but helping them find themselves and deal with their issues and come to a place of responsibility and acceptance, and making the choices that are best for them and their families and the community without pressuring them, it’s like she helps them see reality and their options for dealing with it. Just like, I don’t know, ‘here’s A, isn’t it, and what can you do, B or C or D, and what would the right goal be, E or maybe F, possibly G, and what makes the most sense and is actually possible for you? Remember, you’re human, so you’ve got to allow for that.’ And ths next thing you know, they’ve adapted and got a realistic plan. I dunno how well they’ll follow it, but that’s on them, not her.”

“Hmm, sounds like I’ve got competition!” teased Linda.

“No, no, that’s not what I mean! It just like watching a really good auto mechanic fix a car, or like a bartender in that Tom Cruise movie—it’s all smooth and not a motion wasted, like a dance, really, graceful and yet fast, making haste slowly but smoothly. I wish I had that kind of skill,” said Larry, earnestly, really wanting her to understand

“Well, I think you’re pretty wonderful, and you have some very good skills yourself!”

Larry went scarlet and looked at her with wide eyes and a goofy grin. She laughed and kissed him.

* * *

Linda was alone in the dark, with but a flashlight and a map and a pen, and was where she thought the edge of the wave should be. She was about two thirds of the way from the cave to where they were building the fence, and on a line projected out from between the cave and the church. When she felt it start she would move along where she felt the edge to be in the direction of the church to see how much she had to adjust her course to allow for the group of people boosting the amplitude there. She hoped it wasn’t much, because she was afraid she would get too close to the fence for the increase in power to be contained before it could be completed.

She had discovered that the depression, or ‘the leeching of all joy from life and the world,’ as some had described it, was very real, but she knew that would change shortly, and if things got too bad she could retreat toward the church or the cave to counteract it. It was scary, though, and she understood now why the others were so concerned about those caught in a wave and not getting help. She herself was doubting everything she had ever done, worried how Larry could possibly love someone like her, and felt truly wretched.

The church itself, or the people in it who had been treated, really, were actually a good countermeasure in and of themselves. There was a constant background hum of positive, if sexual, energy there now, much like with the cave, even between waves newly exposed people were not feeling the depression, and sexual interest was always bubbling just under the surface for those near people who had been treated. She was longing for her own treatment, now.

She felt remarkably alone and down, moreso than she ever had in her life. She felt a need for Larry, and wished he were here holding her hand in the dark, or wrapping her in a warm embrace. It wasn’t sexual need, because she couldn’t feel less sexual in a mud mask with curlers in her hair after wading through a swamp in a flannel gown and sodden bunny slippers. She wanted to be held and told it would be alright.

She wished she had a fire, or a warmer jacket, or something if she couldn’t have Larry. She had a strange desire to smoke a cigarette, just to have something to do—she didn’t smoke, never had, why was that thought tickling her mind? She felt, almost rather than saw, a woman behind her on a porch fiddling with something in her hands. There was a sharp fear and guilt, maybe in her posture and movements.

Oh, shit.

She walked over.

“Hi!” She called out, and the woman started at her voice emerging from the darkness.

“Who’s there?” the woman asked.

“My name is Linda. Why aren’t you at the church?”

“Why?”

“There’s a town emergency, everyone is meeting at the church. Is anyone else home with you?” answered Linda.

“My son,” said the woman. He’s fifteen. I....” the woman suddenly changed course. “We’re Catholic, we don’t go to the town church.”

Prayer beads, that’s what was in the woman’s hand, thought Linda. And she’s been partially exposed and is having trouble coping. “Oh, that doesn’t matter! The church is just where everyone is meeting during the crisis. The two of you should go as soon as possible! Right away! It’s important!”

“What’s happening?” asked the woman.

“Uh, the mayor is telling people about it now. Really, the two of you should hurry! I’m going house to house checking. I’ve got to go on, now, but really, you and your son should go now. Just keep going until you get there, okay?“

“Crisis? Well, all right,” the woman replied. She called out into the house, “Steven! Put your, uh, shoes on! We have to go to the church down the road. Some kind of emergency meeting! Let’s go!”

Please hurry, thought Linda. It’s got to be close to happening any minute!

The young man came out of the house and he and his mother hurried off. Linda moved away toward the next house trying to look official, on town business, or whatever, as they left. They’d gone about a block when the wave hit.

It was a great deal weaker, here, and Linda gasped but moved away, feeling for where it was even weaker, searching for whatever edge it had. She was no longer feeling down, but wasn’t unable to control her sexual impulses, either. She got past two more houses and found the edge. It suddenly was almost gone, and she marked her position and moved to trace the boundary. It did get a bit stronger as she moved forward down the street, so she crossed it and moved down the other side. She began to hear people on the far side, the side she’d crossed from, indistinct but startled, alarmed, and then amorous.

“No, no! We shouldn’t!” came a male voice from one house, followed by a woman’s throaty laugh.

“Come here, mister! I want to show you something!”

Linda kept moving and tried not to think about what whoever ‘she’ was was showing whoever ‘he’ was. It got harder as the energy intensified and Linda moved farther away and into actual front yards to keep to the boundary. It might have been fun to see what... focus! Keep moving, check the map, ah, boundary again, whew! The drop-off of the energy was actually kind of steep, if you thought about it, almost like a bubble, or maybe like the zone where a magnet loses its strength to pull steel to it.

There were sounds of sex happening loudly just across the street and yards, which made Linda feel even more alone. She realized she was outside of the energy, and moved several yards before she found it again. She noted her map, and worried about the woman and her son—how far had they made it before the wave struck, and what would the consequences be? An outdoor sex fetish? Should she feel guilty about that? She moved again, tracing a long arc through the map of the town.

Finally, she realized she was moving towards the town boundary, and saw ahead of her completed fencing. They had built it high, very high, maybe 30 or 35 feet high, with an inward curve at the top. There were posts set inside to continue a roof, but apparently the workers had been evacuated before they could complete that part. Linda was impressed—a very great deal of work had been completed very quickly, and was continuing somewhere on the other side of town. She’d marked the energy in the town on her map, beyond here there was only national forest, no humans. Even so, the energy wouldn’t extend that far into the trees anyway.

She moved back toward the church a few yards and found herself back inside the energy field, which got stronger and stronger as she moved towards the church. Her spirits and her need grew with each step until she felt like she was flying toward the church, and Larry and Julia.

As she finally neared the church, she got the answer to her question about the woman and her son. She learned the son’s name was Ron because the woman was telling him to fuck her harder as she braced herself against a tree and he plowed her from behind, her breasts and stomach hanging down and bouncing with each thrust. Her prayer beads were nowhere to be seen, and neither were their clothes. Ron yelled, “I’m cumming, Mother! I’m cumming inside you!”

As Linda jogged past, she thought that was a new one—she’d would never have imagined anyone calling someone ‘Mother’ in the throes of passion. Huh. She didn’t think about it long because she was through the church doors and looking urgently for Larry or Julia or Veronica. She found the all three together in a corner—someone had thought to bring blankets, and they were on one. Julia’s pussy was unoccupied, so that was where she started.

“Wow!” exclaimed Julia from where Larry’s cock was moving in and out of Veronica’s sex, “Damn, your face is cold!” Larry whirled, a good trick when he was balls deep in the pastor, and the group immediately reconfigured and tore off Linda’s clothes. The next thing she knew, she was the central focus of the group and she was being warmed nicely, with Larry’s cock inside her and Veronica’s mouth and fingers on her breasts. Julia had managed not to move, and Linda’s face and nose were being nicely warmed in Julia’s crotch, working on her hot little clit.

Linda felt such incredibly sexual ecstacy that she wanted to be four people and do everything to all of them at once. She slid a hand up Veronica’s leg and into her slick warmth, moving her fingers in the way she had learned from Julia earlier, and found her pussy muscles and tongue moving in different rhythms and at different speeds, but making all three moan with passion and pleasure. She felt in tune with their bodies and what they needed, as well as her own.

Julia came first, and Linda climbed Veronica to move her mouth just above where her busy fingers were. Veronica cried out and grabbed Linda’s head as she ground her clit against Linda’s frantic tongue-work and lips. Linda felt her pussy muscles roll and grip Larry’s cock as her own orgasm flew threw her like a wave of warm electricity.

She was disappointed to feel the wave end, but knew it would take a while for things to slow down to a stop, and savored the sexual pleasure and joy of being part of the little group who were more than friends, now. And God, she dearly loved Larry’s cock in her pussy! She felt Veronica’s muscles ripple on her tongue and her juices flowed down into her mouth, coating her tongue and lips, and she relished that, as well. She heard Julia moan in climax, and wondered who was doing what to her. She felt another of her own orgasms barrel in, and bucked and thrust at both ends as she felt the exquisite spasm rock through her, and felt Larry cumming inside her as she did.

After the delicious spasms passed, she relaxed and enjoyed Larry being still inside her as she slowly tapered her careful tonguing of Veronica. She felt Julia stroke her breasts lightly, as she sighed and cooed. “Mmm! That was wonderful!”

“Tell me about it!” came Veronica’s voice, above her telling her, “Dear, you are very good at licking pussy! Damn, not just the buildup and the orgasm, but after, too! Fan-damn-tastic!“

Larry went to move, and Linda wrapped her legs around his back and held him inside her, “No, not yet! Wait a minute! I like you inside me!”

Veronica moved. “I’ve got to get moving again, now. We need to send folks out to get the new exposeds to the church.”

“There’s a mom and her son just outside, and everyone out to the south side of Poplar Street is now exposed. Some of the north side, too. It kind of curves in the middle.”

“Thanks! You need to get that map to Jocelyn, too,” said Veronica.

“She can take a minute,” said Julia. “My husband and son, and Chad were making her airtight in the office, so wait until the door opens.”

“Where’s Juliette?” asked Linda.

“She took the last group down to the cave.”

“Ah. Larry and I call dibs on the next trip.”

“Okay,” said Veronica as she finished dressing, “we’re sending folks down an hour apart, now.”

“Thanks!” said Linda and Larry together.

“Mm, baby, you look so good like that, stretched out naked beneath me with Larry inside you!” said Julia, sitting beside her.

Linda blew her a kiss and squeezed Julia’s breasts with a nipple tweak in response.

“Oooh!” moaned Julia, ‘do that again and you won’t be going anywhere for a while!” She leaned over and kissed Linda deeply.

When the kiss broke, Linda scooted out from under Julia and grinned. “Don’t worry, there will be a lot of that happening in the future. But you and Larry should switch places pretty quickly if you want any of what Larry gave me!”

“Mmm! How could I possibly resist?” Julia laughed.

“Linda, baby, I’m afraid that’s the last for a little while,” said Larry.

“Oh, okay, but you better take some wheat germ or ginseng or something, ’cause you’re going to be doing that again, and several times in about an hour!”

Larry laughed. “I’ll see what I can turn up!” He withdrew, and began to get dressed himself.

Julia wasted no time, but before she dove into Linda’s spread sex, she said, “So tell me what it was like out there.”

Linda did, starting out fairly cogent at first, but getting more and more broken up as Julia found new places to stimulate inside her with her tongue. By the end, if Linda could actually talk, and she couldn’t with all the happy sex sounds she was making, Julia couldn’t have heard it because Linda was holding Julia’s face tightly to her sex with both hands and thighs. Julia got all of Larry’s spend, every last molecule.

Julia pulled on a robe as Linda recovered, and then helped Linda back into her clothes. They made their way to the office, Julia supporting a still-quivering Linda. The door was open, so they walked in.

“Linda! Do you have the map?” asked Jocelyn as soon as she saw her.

“I do. Here.”

Jocelyn studied the map, and counted the number of waves. “We might make it!” she exclaimed. Even if we think it doubles in size with each wave, we might just make it!”

“Actually, we can slow down the treatments somewhat,” said Linda. “As long as we bring the newly exposed here, there is enough background energy to prevent people from hurting themselves in the aftermath. That would also allow Harriet to rest. She is the source of the energy, right?“

“Yes,” said Jocelyn, “and I’ve been very worried about her. I don’t know how long Lily can keep doing whatever it is that gives us time between each wave, though.”

“Larry and I want to go down with the next group. Going beyond the range of the church and cave is... bad for those who’ve been exposed.” She paused and thought. “The time release charges run down, eventually, don’t they?”

“Theoretically, yes, according to Lily and Harriet. They’re temporary, and have to be renewed every so often.”

“So we have got to take care of Harriet, don’t we?“

“Yes. If Harriet dies, Lily dies, they’re fused somehow. We don’t even have any idea what will happen if she gets sick.” Jocelyn shook her head. “If they die, the treatments will fade, and everyone will be suicidally depressed not long after,” said Jocelyn, spreading her arms. “All of this is playing for time until we can figure something else out.”

“Vanished civilizations...”

“What?”

“Just thinking of some of the stories about civilizations that just vanished, no one knows where they went or what happened. What if it was this?” asked Linda. She thought. “What if... what if Harriet got pregnant? Could Lily change hosts that way?”

“I have no idea,” said Jocelyn. “You’d have to ask Lily.”

I will,” said Linda, “and I’m going to ask them to tone down the waves as much as possible. We don’t need to treat everyone who has been exposed as quickly as possible, now.”

“I am so glad that you have discovered this!” said Jocelyn, sighing. “We’ve been in emergency mode since this whole thing started, and we’ve been making too many assumptions. You are asking the right questions.”

“I just had a little time to think, alone in the night.”

“Why don’t we go down and talk to Harriet, while there’s only Jack down there? Are you game?”

“Always!” said Julia, with a grin.

“The energy is really strong down there, even with Lily doing whatever she does to dampen it down,” warned Linda.

I hope she’ll do that thing you talked about to let us talk, even if we’re total sluts while doing it,” said Jocelyn, smiling. “I would like a shower, first, though.“

“My house is across the street. I think we’d all like one at this point. And there aren’t any sluts anymore. It’s everyone, or almost, now. Just people with extremely high sex drives and no shame about it anymore.”

^I beg your pardon!” said Julia with a grin. “I am definitely a slut now, and proud of it!“

“Yeah, and you need a shower, too,” said Linda, smiling back at her.

Julia sniffed under her arm, frowned, and agreed.

“That, too, but honey, an all-over soaping is in order for you!” laughed Linda.

Julia actually hung her head a bit and looked apologetic. Linda took the small group of them across to her house and they all showered, singly, because they were in a hurry and doubling up would take far longer, and used all her dry towels. Linda changed into fresh jeans and a shirt and sneakers without socks and they met Larry on the porch, similarly showered, shaved, and freshly changed, with just a slight trace of cologne. He hugged Linda as they came out, then handed her a flashlight.

They set out for the cave, and when they came to the slight trail leading to it, they found a burning patio torch.

“Jack’s been busy, I see,” commented Jocelyn approvingly.

“And Heather,” said Julia. “Some of this bears the signs of youth, but the placement and original thought says Jack.”

The trail had gotten easier to see and follow after so many feet had traversed it that evening, and the periodic patio torches lit the way quite well. When they got to the cave, the group began fidgeting, as the energy was permeating the area. “Jack? Harriet? Heather? We’re coming in!” called Jocelyn.

“Come ahead,” Jack’s voice called back.

They entered and found the two of them sitting on a pile of unrolled sleeping bags and blankets, with several pillows, a crate with an open wine bottle and paper cups, several empty energy drink bottles and two half-eaten sandwiches on paper plates.

Harriet was laying back against Jack, while Heather was handing her one of the sandwiches. “You’ve got to keep your strength up, dear, you are expending a lot more energy than you are taking in!” said Jack, gently. Heather nodded.

They’re right, you know, came Lily’s voice.

“That must be Lily!” exclaimed Linda.

“You hear her?” asked everyone else in the cave, looking at her.

“Didn’t you?” asked Linda, confused.

“No,” said Jocelyn, shaking her head.

I’m delighted to formally meet you, Linda! said Lily. I was a bit busy when you were here before, and besides, you and Harriet were talking. Everyone seemed to hear her that time, but had also suddenly become a bit occupied at the moment. That strange sense of detachment was back, and she observed that their bodies were shedding clothes and getting very sexual immediately. Linda marvelled at the ability to think and talk and fuck (okay, that part would be happening in a moment, anyway) all at the same time.

I’m afraid the sex is a prerequisite to actually converse with me, said Lily. Yes, I’m responsible for the energy, the energy released with orgasms are my food source, and the energy I’m made of seems to make humans want and need to have sex. I found that there isn’t an ‘off switch’, so to speak. I can dampen the field somewhat by hiding, or what would have been hiding where I come from, but I can’t stop it. And it addicts human nervous systems almost instantly. I am sorry for the mess I’ve caused!

“It isn’t a mess!” exclaimed Julia from between Jocelyn’s thighs. “It saved me, and it has made a number of positive changes in the community! Lots of people are much better off than they were!”

“It has certainly been good for me,” said Larry as he thrust in and out of Linda. “I never would have found Linda otherwise, and now... now... uh....”

Yes, I see, said Lily. Well, let’s just say I have complicated many lives, in unasked-for ways.

“Did you know that everyone is working together, and there has been no violence among those affected?” asked Jocelyn.

“I’d heard something about that,” said Harriet. “How far are the waves traveling now?”

Linda reached over to her pile of clothing, fumbled a moment and then pulled her map out of her jeans pocket, holding it for Harriet, who had both hands busy inside others at that moment, and as Larry strove to be still for her, which was more difficult than it sounds.

“Mmmph. It hasn’t gotten as far as we thought it might,” said Jocelyn, taking Jack’s cock out her mouth. “Linda, tell her your discovery!”

Linda felt the combined attention of both Lily and Harriet like a sexual thrill. “Uh... whoo!... yeah, um, the energy of all the people in the church who have had a treatment is creating a stable field, not like a wave, but untreated people aren’t getting the withdrawal effect. It’s not as strong as yours, at least not between waves, but it works, I can tell. We can slow down the treatments, which should buy us more time on getting the fences finished!”

“Oh, thank goodness!” said Harriet. “I am so tired! It’s not just the energy, but all the sex every forty-five minutes or so! And when you all aren’t here, they all want to have it with me! If Lily wasn’t tinkering with my body, I’d be in a coma right now!“

“Oh, my God!” exclaimed Linda, “Are you okay?”

“Well, yes and no,” said Harriet. “Very, very tired and a bit sore.”

“Lily, how long can you ‘hide’?” asked Jocelyn.

About four or five hours, easily, six or maybe seven if I push it,” said Lily through Harriet. “Harriet has slept through it before, but there was less energy built up then. I am quite concerned for her.

“Lily, have you considered... a child? If Harriet bore a child? Could you...?” asked Linda.

Harriet looked at Linda, an odd expression on her face.

«Now that is an interesting question» thought Harriet to Lily.

I... don’t know, replied Lily. I... need to think. We need to think. If... I don’t know if... if we did, the child would be me at the time we divided... I think I would be her base personality. I don’t know if she would develop her own. I mean, I’m mostly your personality, because I merged with you. I think I’d overwhelm the baby’s when I merged with her, as we developed... Harriet, you would be my mother. Oh, dear, all those developmental changes, puberty! Could I live until puberty? And what would happen to everyone around me?

“I mean, there’s not a rush, is there? I just thought it might be worth considering... " said Linda.

“I always wanted a child,” said Harriet. “Could you split? Like an amoeba made of energy?”

Well, yes, that’s sort of what we do when we reproduce. I mean, the time release energy cells are basically a little of me with a limited life span and tiniest amount of my sense of self and a purpose, just enough to hold on and slowly radiate the energy into the nervous system. But this would be a true split, a full me. Of course, after the split there will be two different mes. I mean, it will become she and her while we stay me and you. I mean, ‘I’ won’t be in two places at once.

“It’s okay, I think we understand. So you couldn’t move from Harriet to the baby? Are you okay? You seem nervous?” said Linda.

It’s so strange that you can hear me talking to Harriet! said Lily, sounding flustered. Then, using Harriet’s voice, “Actually, it’s both of us! I mean, we both are excited and nervous at the prospect! We both have wanted... to have a child, in different ways, of course. We had both thought the opportunity had passed us by. But perhaps... perhaps not. Oh, and no, I can’t move like that, I’m permanently fused to Harriet’s nervous system. The other me would be to the baby’s, too.

“You really should rest,” said Julia. “Worry about this later. You’ve been at this too hard for too long. Plenty of time to think and make plans later.”

Harriet looked at Julia. ”You’re right. Thank you, Julia.

The blazing energy faded, though to Linda, Harriet still glowed like a goddess. The compulsion to fuck slowly reduced, though the sex only slowed until at last the orgasms tapered away. Jack grabbed another sports drink and held it to Harriet’s lips and she drank it down thirstily. “Thank you, love,” she said as he took the empty bottls away. Heather drank her bottle down in a couple of long gulps, then curled up next to Harriet. Jack kissed them tenderly, and made Harriet comfortable on the pillows and blankets, pulling one up over her and Heather’s naked bodies.

“Please, let her sleep now,” he said. “I’ll watch over her.”

“How are you holding up?” asked Julia.

“Well enough,” Jack answered, though he, too, looked deeply weary.

“Bullshit,” said Julia. “You curl up with them and I’ll keep watch. Sleep. You need it. Jocelyn will make sure that supplies get brought down. Perhaps a bedpan from the clinic for when they wake up?”

“Ah. Yes. Good idea,” said Jocelyn. “And some vitamins and food. More propane for the lights.”

Jack was already curled up behind Harriet, spooning her as Harriet spooned Heather, and Julia was already handing the others their clothes. Linda watched Julia as she put on her clothes, thinking how much more thoughtful and insightful she was than the one-track-minded ‘slut’ she pretended to be. She paid attention to the details, and if someone missed one, she made sure it got pointed out. She must have been a hell of a mom; those were important mom skills, and with a subtle touch.

Linda turned her attention to Larry, who had the glow of a treatment in his head. When had that happened? She focused on herself, and found that she did not. She would need to stay near the others unless she wanted to feel that terrible withdrawal. She wondered why she had not gotten one, too. She had a strange feeling that there was a reason.

They bundled up and grabbed their flashlights, and began the walk back to the church. She wound up walking between Jocelyn and Larry as they moved onto the road. “Why didn’t she give me a treatment?” she asked them.

“Huh?” asked Larry

“She didn’t?” asked Jocelyn.

“No, she didn’t,” said Linda. “Can you think why?”

“She wouldn’t have just forgotten,” said Jocelyn, “although they are both very tired, and we may have distracted them with the talk of babies. Maybe she thinks you’ll need to sense the wave range again?”

“We were talking about children, the two of them having a child... maybe she wants you to be able to sense them or something?” suggested Larry.

“Oh! Oh, my!” said Linda.

“Guess that will make you an odd pediatrician, huh?” teased Larry, hugging her.

“Holy shit! I’m not ready for that!”

“Well, you do have some time to get that way,” said Jocelyn with a smile. “And Doc Milton will need to retire in a few years... The waves haven’t reached his house yet, have they?”

“I don’t know know where he lives,” said Linda.

“No, they haven’t, but he’s out of town at a medical conference, anyway, or he’d already be at the church, helping out,” said Jocelyn.

“Will they let him back in?” asked Larry.

“Like all those who live here, yes, but those who are treated won’t be able to leave again—they’re too dangerous to the outside world—and those who haven’t won’t want to,” said Jocelyn. She looked at Linda. “Linda, do you want to leave town?”

Fuck, no!” Linda exclaimed, then said a moment later, “Sorry, excuse my language.“

The other two laughed, then Jocelyn said, “You see what I mean, though.”

“Uh, yeah,” said Larry. “I’d heard it was rough, but Linda has made it very clear to me. Not just now, I mean!“

They got back to the church, and when they entered, found Veronica dealing with an upset naked mother clad in a blanket. “...but I just want my clothes! And my son’s! They’re somewhere just up the street!”

Linda walked over and said, “Yes, ma’am, Larry and I will go look.” The woman seemed to calm as they surrounded her.

“I just... I just... felt bad being naked,” she said, her nipples suddenly standing erect. “But... uh... maybe... maybe I’ll be okay? I’m... uh, actually feeling a bit warm, now....”

“This is Suzanne,” said Veronica.

“I’m Linda, we met before,” said Linda. “This is Larry.”

“Oh, hi, yes, um, the sexy girl who sent us here. I wanted you to watch... um, sorry, I seem to be... um, Pastor Brown has explained some of what’s happened. I never would have believed it if I hadn’t, um... and there are a lot of parents this has happened to?”

“Oh, yes, most of the parents in town are having sex with their kids, now,” said Jocelyn. “I certainly am!”

“Oh! Uh, Madam Mayor! But they won’t let me go get our clothes?”

“Suzanne, if you get very far away from the church and the people here, you will start to feel truly awful, like, well, like all the love and goodness and happiness has gone out of the world. People get truly, deeply depressed away from these safe spaces until you get a treatment,” explained Linda.

“She told me they were worried about me hurting myself, but...”

“Suzanne, I haven’t had a treatment yet, and I can tell you it is truly horrible getting too far away,” Linda said, looking directly and levelly into Suzanne’s eyes. “I won’t go without Larry, here, who has had a treatment as a safety line for me. Do you see? Do you know how you felt just a few moments ago, all upset and flustered? Imagine that multiplied by a thousand. It’s very, very bad.“

“Like kill myself bad?” asked the woman.

“That’s what we’re worried about,” said Jocelyn. “That’s why we bring everyone here as quickly as we can after a wave.”

“Oh. And it will happen again and again?”

“Yes. But slower now. You should get some sleep, if you can. Curl up with your son, near Veronica, here, or Olivia or Dave. We’ve got more people with treatments coming back in, and you’ll feel better soon.”

“I’m feeling pretty good, now,” Suzanne said, with a smile.

“I know, but we have to go take care of other things, and you’ll start to feel a bit less good when we do.” said Jocelyn

“Oh,” said Suzanne. “You’ll find our clothes?”

“We will. Where is Ron?” Linda asked.

“You were watching us, weren’t you?” asked Suzanne with a devilish grin. Her blanket feel to the floor and she began touching herself.

“Um, yeah, as I went by...” said Linda, and Suzanne gasped, pinched her own nipple and slid a finger into herself.

“He’s over with Julia’s kids, talking,” said Veronica.

“Okay, we’ll go find your clothes, now,” said Linda turning to leave and taking Larry with her as she did.

“I don’t need them now,” said Suzanne in a sexy come-hither tone.

Linda found it a bit hard to look away as she backed up, until the sexual tension eased a bit in her as she got closer to the doors. Suzanne looked disappointed, then switched her look to Veronica, jocelyn was backing slowly away as well, and suddenly Suzanne stopped, and grabbed her blanket from the floor again, but more slowly, making a show of it. Then Linda and Larry were out the doors into the cold.

“Whew! That was... um...,” said Larry.

“Yeah,” agreed Linda. “Let’s go find their clothes.”

“I mean, it’s just that I wouldn’t normally find her, um,” Larry tried to explain. “I mean I’m sure she’s nice enough, but she is really not my type at all.”

“Yeah, me, too, but that’s not how this seems to work. It seems to sometimes change what and who we find sexy,” said Linda as they walked. “I mean, it’s not just like revealing fetishes people already had, but creating whole new ones. If you are close to someone during a wave, they become sexy to you. Apparently even the energy that the treatments radiate can do it, too. There were three treated people very close together, there. It must have been enough to act like a very small wave around us. Given long enough, or enough energy, everyone will be attracted to everyone else, period.”

“Geez,” said Larry, shaking his head, “this is kind of scarier than I thought! I mean, there are some people I don’t want to be attracted to, like Jerry Reeves or Amanda Blaylock! No wonder people outside would be frightened of this spreading!“

“Yeah,” agreed Linda. “Oh, look, here comes June with a group of people! Oh, wait, there’s a pair of panties over here.” Larry shown his flashlight about, and they also located a pair of tidy-whiteys and then a bra hanging from a tree limb.

“Hi guys!” called June. “Whatcha looking for? Clothes?”

“Yeah, some got dropped on the way to the church in the last wave.”

“Oh! Need help?” bounced June.

“Um, no, we got it, I think! You need to get those folks to the church!”

“M’kay!” June agreed. The people around her had stopped when she did, and stayed gathered around her, looking worried and distressed.

“You’ll all feel better when you get to the church!” Linda called to them as they moved away. “It’s going to be okay, you’ll see!”

Larry and Linda continued looking about, and found a pair of jeans near the tree that the bra had been hanging in. A little farther on they found a shirt that had obviously been tossed in one direction, and a dress that had been dropped straight off Suzanne’s shoulders and been stepped out of.

“Um, I keep imagining what this all must have looked like,” said Larry. “It must have been really sexy.... That’s the treatment, isn’t it?”

“Probably. But it would be kind of sexy to watch....” said Linda, picking up the silk dress and sniffing it. “Nice perfume,” she commented. “Let’s go back. They had their shoes on when I saw them back there fucking against the tree near the church.“

“Huh,” said Larry, picturing it.

“There comes Dave with another group,” said Linda. “Let’s walk back with them.”

“Okay.”

They waited a few moments as the group walked towards them.

“Hi!” called Dave. “Um, Linda and...?”

“Larry,” Larry answered.

“Taking clothes to the church?” asked Dave as the two joined the group. There was a marked change in the body language of the group around Dave as people relaxed visibly.

“Someone dropped them on the way,” Larry said.

“Ohhh!” said Dave, understanding. “Let’s keep moving, okay?”

The group started towards the church again. Linda watched as the seven people gravitated toward each other into two pairs and a trio. One pair was obviously a young husband and wife, the other probably an older father with his middle-aged daughter or an autumn-summer couple, but he wore a wedding ring that looked like it had been on his finger for forty years while she wasn’t wearing one but had a clear line on her ring finger showing one worn for a while had recently come off. The trio was obviously a father with two older teenage daughters, and he looked like he was still having a bit of a tough time with his conscience, though the young women looked fairly comfortable. Linda didn’t know any of them, though that wasn’t really saying a lot.

Linda walked up to the father and said, “It will be better soon. You’ll see. Everything is changing.”

He looked startled. “What? What do you mean?”

“They’ll explain more at the church, but what has happened is affecting everyone. You look worried. It really will be okay, though.” She smiled at him, and then at the young women who were obviously getting a bit territorial, and moved to wrap her arm around Larry’s waist. His daughters relaxed, then looked thoughtfully at each other.

As they neared the church, all of them relaxed even more. Dave smiled at Linda, and asked, “Are Julia and the kids around?”

“Darren and Juliette are inside, but Julia is taking care of Harriet and Jack with Heather. They’re exhausted.”

“I bet,” he nodded. “She does that, you know? She’s a great mom, even to other people. She thinks and worries, and she used to do it too much about everything. I am so happy she’s in a better place with it, and herself, now. You have no idea how much we love her. She could just never be herself. I’ve seen that she has found a friend in you, and I am very glad about that.”

“Me, too. She’s a special lady, though she likes to call herself a slut now.”

Several of the group stopped at that, and looked at the two.

“Likes it? She loves it and revels in it! She was never able to accept that about herself before, that she liked sex so much, she was far too tight-assed and self-judgemental. I am so glad she’s happy, now.”

“Me, too, though I just met her tonight. I heard about before,” Linda said.

The others’ curiosity was palpable.

“After a bit, you wonder why we did all that to ourselves,” said Dave. “From this side of things, all that just looks crazy, you know?”

“Just like our side of things looks crazy to those who haven’t been affected,” said Linda.

“God, yes!” exclaimed Dave. Thirty-six hours ago I would have opened a vein myself if I had thought I would do anything I’ve done in the last twenty-four! Especially having sex with my daughter Juliette! Now, no one blinks an eye, and all I feel is the love between us.”

All of the group were looking at them.

“Really?” asked one of the girls.

“Oh, yes, we do it quite a lot now. And most of those around us could not care less, they’re doing their own thing, often with their own families. Most families are together when it hits. We were about to eat dinner.”

“So were we!” said the other girl, surprised. “We suddenly just had to... oof!” Her sister had just elbowed her in the stomach. “What?“

“Look, there’s no judgement about such things now. It really is out of everyone’s control. Suddenly there is just need that can’t be denied, and people have tried. It’s like trying to hold back an avalanche, it just picks you up and takes you wherever it’s going,” said Linda. “We expect it to be a few hours before the next one, but wherever you are, whoever you’re with, sex is going to happen when it does. I’d suggest hanging close to those you’ve already done it with. Unless you’re very adventurous and open-minded!“

The couples and the trio looked somewhat relieved, and got a bit closer to each other. The young couple looked at the others, and then at each other. “We, uh, felt really depressed and down after we had sex earlier, but it got a bit better when Dave came to our door, and better again when you two joined us, now we feel even better. Is that a part of this... whatever?”

“I’m Janet, and this is Brad, we’re newlyweds, and please don’t make any jokes about the Time Warp or Frankenfurter or anything, we’ve heard them all before!” said the young woman.

Larry snorted, then said, “Sorry! I got dressed down earlier about making an Archie’s joke and that still stings, so you’re safe from me!” He smiled a genuine smile. He then went on to give a condensed explanation of the aftereffects of the waves, and told them that was why they were bringing everyone to the church. “They’ll explain the treatments to get rid of that depression inside,” he finished, and Linda and Dave nodded.

“Um, okay,";said Brad, hugging Janet to his side.

“We’re Milt and Jessica,” said the middle-aged woman next to the older man. “Milt is my uncle. He let me stay with him after my divorce. I figure we should introduce ourselves after all this.”

“And I’m Mike Summers, and these are my daughters Tina and Teri, though we know Milt, of course,” he said, nodding to each in turn.

The others introduced themselves, and then Dave suggested they all go inside. Olivia had led the last group past them as they had been talking several minutes before.

When they entered, Jocelyn nodded and asked everyone in a carrying voice to sit and listen to what she had to tell them. Linda found Suzanne and Ron and handed them their clothes, which they put on, unworried about dropping their blankets to do so. Very few people found the sight remarkable at all, having seen too many others dressing again after waves. Only the newcomers looked at all surprised.

Once everyone was seated and the building was quiet, Jocelyn told them that there were new developments that she would reveal after she’d brought the newcomers up to speed. She then gave the explanation of the crisis again, all the rough corners and pauses worn off by repetition. She then told everyone that they expected a slowdown in the waves, though they expected that the waves would continue to strengthen, and she told them that it looked as though the fencing would be completed in time, though the roofing part of the fences were running a bit behind, and that anyone who could assist with that would be welcomed after daybreak. She also told them that the treatments would also slow as the waves did, because they could only be done during the waves. She explained that those who had been treated would be able to prevent the terrible depression as long as they all stayed together.

Then Veronica stood and told them that the Watson family and two other individuals, Rhonda Emerson and Paul Kirkpatrick had been lost to suicide before the search parties could locate them. Almost everyone there could understand, having felt that terrible loss of hope or the crushing guilt and remorse themselves, for at least a short time. She led the gathered community in a prayer, and asked them to promise each other that they would look out for each other and help them to get to the church or find a treated person to help counteract that darkness when it threatened. She asked them to look after those who were alone, or who had lost someone, and to tell the search parties where others who were alone might be so that they could find and help them before tragedy struck again.

Jocelyn watched as the people there reached out to others, and began to support those who did live alone and had no one to connect with. Groups talked and organized by neighborhood, coming up with the names of those who were not present and who might be at risk. It was actually very heartwarming to watch.

Questions were asked and answered, and a number of folks who felt they could help with the roof fencing volunteered to do so. Then, surprisingly, people began talking about the accidental fetishes that had happened, and actually began forming little support groups for them. The topic of sexual practices was suddenly being discussed openly for the first time in the town’s history. The sense of shame for them evaporated. It turned out that John wasn’t the only one who had developed a sexual need because of watching television when a wave hit. There were several women who had been watching a telemarketing channel during the previous wave, and now had a deep sexual need for sequined pink high-heel pumps designed by a pop star which had been a featured focus at the moment it started. It would be several days before the orders arrived, and they were trying to make do with what they had, it appeared. It also sounded as though their options to make do were not enough.

Jocelyn was just grateful she didn’t watch television.

She got on her phone and checked in with Harry on the progress of the fencing job, which was coming along well, though the lights and activity had drawn a lot of notice and questions from many not yet affected. She told him that he would have even more volunteers to work on the roofing fences in the morning, and he was tiredly grateful. She told him to send anyone asking questions to the church, and he said he would. He said he’d been questioned by several county sheriff deputies, and said that they had left the workmen alone, but she was going to have to call the sheriff sometime soon.

Jocelyn checked the City Hall voicemail and discovered it was full. She thought that many of those calls had been probably from people who were already at the church now, since she was pretty sure that about two-thirds of the entire town population was there. She would listen to them right after making a particularly important call.

She put that call in to the county sheriff, and told him that there was, in fact, a problem that they were controlling with a Faraday cage, and that they were rushing the build so that it did not spread beyond the town.

“What kinda problem, and how on Earth could a Faraday cage help?” Sheriff Dave Brown asked.

“Dave, it’s really hard to explain. It’s a kind of infectious energy. It’s really important that we contain this, and not expose anyone from out of town,” said Jocelyn.

“Infectious energy? What the hell’s that?”

“It’s something local, and we have it contained. Think of it like having the entire town in quarantine, and we’re building something that will prevent it from infecting the rest of the world. Dave, it is hard for me to understand, let alone explain. But there isn’t a cure. And worse, you can’t send anyone in in hazmat suits, because those won’t protect them. It isn’t lethal, but the rest of the world would feel threatened by this. The only thing that will stop it right now is distance and the fences we’re building.”

“This is real?” he asked after a long pause.

“Dave, I’m emptying our entire budget to get the fences built,” said Jocelyn.

“Okay. That tells me just how very serious you are about this. How can we help?” asked the county’s sheriff.

“Keep people away, unless they live here. The town doctor will need to be let through, but once he’s through, he can’t leave. None of us can leave. If we get too far away from town, we will become more depressed than you can imagine. Many would kill themselves. Here, we’re safe. Once the fence is completed, we will need supplies brought through a series of compartmented gates and left, like an airlock. Anything outgoing will be treated the same way. Material things aren’t contagious, only people and the confined area,” explained Jocelyn.

She continued,“By the way, we will be okay, here. We’re just worried someone somewhere will overreact. That’s what we’re most worried about. Dave, please understamd this, as well: no one here will want to leave. We’ve all felt the depression that happens when you are cut off from the energy. It is terrible.“

“Huh,” Dave said. “Not even kids wantin’ to party or get into mischief?”

“Not even them. Dave, you could offer me a billion dollars on the condition that I had to leave town, and I would turn you down.”

“God damn!” said the sheriff.

“Dave, we’re cutting ourselves off from the rest of the world except by mail. Once the fence is complete and powered up, no television, radio, or cell phone signals will enter or leave the town. Fiber optics might work, but we don’t have that here and probably never will, because no one can come here to install it and then leave again. I don’t know how much longer we’ll have for phone communication. I’d like to ask you to keep all this as quiet as you can. We are going to need someone on the outside to help us with the quarantine. We should be able to talk through the fencing, though.”

“You should talk to the governor while you still can,” said Dave. “You’re goin’ to need a lot more help than I can give you. I got a buddy in the governor’s office I’ll call and get him to get you in touch.”

Jocelyn thought long and hard for several mi minutes as he waited. “No,” she finally said. “The best for everyone, and I do mean everyone, Dave, is if as little of this gets out as possible. If I tell the governor, he’ll have to investigate. Word will get out, it can’t not get out, if that happens. You know we’re located in the middle of nowhere. Though the town has been in existence for a hundred and fifty-seven years, we’re sometimes not even listed on maps. The “highway” we have only connects us to another one through a National Forest. The only people who really come here are people who live here or have family here. We are as small a town as you can get with more than a hundred people. We can close ourselves off without anyone noticing, and that is important.“

“But what if this breaks out somewhere else?” the sheriff asked.

“Dave, it has happened before. Only those places that were very isolated survived, and quite happily, because all the others were destroyed by people’s fear. We have the ability to isolate this energy here, so the larger world is protected. If word gets out, it will cause terror in some people. And people who are afraid make stupid choices, you know that. We’ll post ‘private property’ signs everywhere outside the fences, so if anyone stumbles across us, they will be warned off. If they come in anyway, they won’t want to leave, even by car they wouldn’t make it to your town without turning around and coming back, just like the rest of us.“

“And if someone comes lookin’ for ’em?” asked the sheriff.

“There is a whole lot of national and state forest to search first, or failing that, they could talk through the fence,” said Jocelyn. “They’ll be happy and healthy, just here.”

“You really think people’d be that afraid?” said the sheriff.

“History says yes. There are probably people out there waiting for it to happen again to mobilize that fear, certainly in public officials, to eradicate wherever it happens again.”

“What!?”

“I’m thinking, in this case, specifically about certain religious organizations. They were involved in previous instances,” said Jocelyn. “Harriet, our librarian, could tell you more.”

“This sounds so... so... conspiracy-theorist!” said the sheriff.

“Look, I understand, I really do. I would have trouble believing all this if I hadn’t experienced it myself,” said Jocelyn. “But I have. It’s real, Dave. Understand, it changes everything. We can live happily, and I do mean happily, Dave, if we are just left alone. No one else has to to be endangered. If it happens again, well, we’ll probably both be long dead, and technology may have better answers for it than we do now. It’s only recently, historically speaking, that we had a chance to contain it and keep it from spreading very far. I can tell you that none of us want to be lab rats, observed and experimented upon. Would you?”

“Well, no,” admitted the sheriff.

“Dave, you’ve known me for forty years, since grade school! Have I ever lied to you?”

“Well, there was that time in third grade, when you told me you and Derek didn’t like each other. You wound up marryin’ him and havin’ Chad.” said Dave the sheriff, the grin audible in his voice.

“You know better than that! We didn’t like each other then! He hadn’t even developed an interest in girls back then!”

“Just fuckin’ with ya, Joss!” he laughed. “No, I’ve never caught you in a lie, which is remarkable in a politician. You’re wantin’ me to trust you on this, I’m guessin’?”

“I do. In fact, when you retire, I’m even suggesting you move here, if you can wrap everything up and leave everything behind one day. Come talk to me through the fence sometime soon, okay? Seeing is believing. We’re doing fine. We just have to stay here, and not let the energy out. It would be too chaotic for the state, the country, and the world. And that many people, well....”

“Okay. I know you’re not tellin’ me everything, just what you think is the important stuff. And Joss, I’d truly hate myself if you and my hometown got screwed over ’cause people got afraid of you. I’ll keep things quiet. Make sure I don’t regret this!”

“I will, Dave, I will,” said Jocelyn. She hung up, feeling hope that she’d added another layer of protection for the town.

She listened to the rest of the messages, left the office, and looked at all the people on sleeping bags and blankets, gathered in small groups and talking and even laughing. Each of those groups was around someone who’d been treated. Everyone was relaxed, no one appeared upset or fearful, or even unhappy. People seemed... more open, somehow. No one was arguing, just listening as others talked and shared, then they would share themselves. She saw at least three families that the day before were avowed and passionate enemies talking like old friends. She shook her head, not quite in disbelief, but amazement that such things could change so quickly and dramatically. ‘Wait. Scratch that. Reverse it,’ she thought. So non-dramatically!

Jocelyn found Chad curled up and asleep next to Veronica, Linda, and Larry. All were sleeping soundly—it had been a long and crazy day.

She walked out onto the church steps, appreciating the chill. ‘God I’m tired,’ she thought. ‘One more quick check, and I’m going to curl up with Veronica and Chad.’

She walked down the road and then the trail to the cave. She felt the thrill of sexual energy as she neared it and entered, and found Harriet, Heather, and Jack curled up together, sleeping. She saw Julia on the other side of the cave, looking at her hungrily.

Jocelyn went and sat down next to Julia. “You okay?” she asked in a whisper.

“Yes and no,” said Julia. “These three are sleeping like angels, and God knows they need the sleep, but damn! sitting here with nothing to do and that damned energy urging me to fuck like crazy is a lot harder than I thought it would be!”

“Why are you sitting in that wierd position?”

“I cuffed my arms to my ankles,” replied Julia. “It was good for the first hour, but there’s nothing to rub myself against on the cave floor, no handy smooth rock or anything. There’s no release! Jocwlyn, please, please give me an orgasm! I’ll be good the rest of the night, but I’ve just got to cum!”

“Sounds like you put yourself between no rocks and no hard places,” joked Jocelyn, sliding her fingers up Julia’s bare thighs under the blanket. “You really did cuff yourself to yourself, didn’t you?” she said, feeling the restraints.

“Yessss,” whispered Julia, feeling her sex drive go up two gears.

“Poor baby!” teased Jocelyn, deciding to play Julia’s game with Linda back on herself. “You must really want to cum for Momma...”

“Oooh, you bitch! Yes, fuck yes, I need to cum!”

“Who do you want to cum for, baby?” teased Julia, drawing her fingers lightly away from where Julia desperately wanted them to go.

“Oohh, I wanna cum for you, Momma!” Julia whispered, seeing how this was going to go.

“Hmmm. Maybe... maybe I could help you baby... " debated Jocelyn, running her fingertips back in towards Julia’s sex.

“Oh, God! Oh, Momma I need it so bad! Please?”

“But what would you do for Momma then, baby?”

“Any fucking thing you want, Momma! Please!” Julia pleaded in whiapers.

“Hmm, baby... it might be fun to have you cuffed under my desk one day soon, giving my pussy all of your attention, all day long as I work... wouldn’t that be fun?” asked Jocelyn as she ran her fingers up and down Julia’s leg, getting closer to, then drawing away from, the hot, wet center of Julia’s spread thighs, just a tiny bit closer with each stroke.

“Oh, God, Joss!” cried Julia in a fierce whisper, struggling in vain to bring her pussy closer to Jocelyn’s tracing fingers. “Anything! Please! Have mercy!”

“Joss? Not right now, no, I don’t think so. Who am I, Julia?

“Momma! You’re Momma! Please, please Momma! Help me come!”

“Tell me, cuffed under my desk....” taunted Jocelyn quietly.

““Yes! Yes! I’d love it! It would make me as hot as I am now! I swear! I will do that, gladly, just please make me cum! I need it! I need you, so bad!“

“Hmmm, that sounds so lovely! I like it when you beg, Julia,” cooed Jocelyn, her fingers drawing closer and closer to Julia’s quivering and soppy sex, its clitoris standing out and fully erect. “Now, focus on my fingertips going up, up, up... and in!”

“Ahhhhhhh!” was the hissed sound coming out of Julia and her muscles worked on the invading fingers. As Jocelyn moved her fingers all the way in, she brought her thumb to work on Julia’s hot and pulsing button, circling around and beside it, then straight up and down, bringing a gentle pressure to bear on it. Julia thrust it against her thumb, hard, and humped it like she wanted to force it deep inside her, too. Her orgasm broke like a shattering pane of glass, and Julia lost any control she had with a full scream, jerking and pulling on Jocelyn’s hand as she convulsed and spasmed, her legs flapping like butterfly wings with her wrists handcuffed to each ankle.

Jack sat up, looked over, shook his head, checked Harriet who was still asleep, then curled back up with her and fell asleep again. Heather and Harriet didn’t even twitch.

“Mmm! Mmmm!” came from Julia theough tightly sealed lips as her thrashing slowly quieted. Finally, she collapsed against Jocelyn, panting. She whispered, “Oh, thank you Momma! Thank you, thank you!”

Jocelyn leaned down and kissed Julia deeply, and then murmured in her ear, “You owe me, baby.”

“I do, I do! And I will so love paying you back! God that was hot! I could see it so clearly in my mind!” whispered Julia.

“Good. Got the key to the cuffs?”

“Over there, behind my clothes. It was on top, but I got desperate and tried to get it. Just knocked it off.”

Jocelyn found the key and took the handcuffs from Julia’s wrists. Julia rubbed the life back into them and stretched her aching back, displaying her lovely breasts proudly as she did so.

“Damn. You go and do all that when I’m so tired my eyes are crossing....” muttered Jocelyn. She looked at Julia, “Are you coming with, or are you going to go crazy in here again, hoping someone else will come along to help you out?”

“Give me sec,” said Julia, slipping into her dress again, pulling on her shoes, and donning a jacket. She grabbed a flashlight and the two left the cave, leaving the two sleepers there.

Julia stopped a few yards from the cave, and said, “I should be okay here. I told them I’d keep watch.”

“You sure?” asked Jocelyn.

“Yeah,” said Julia, with a sigh. “Go on back up and get some rest. I would just keep you awake.”

“Okay. See you in the morning.” The two kissed again, and Jocelyn fondled Julia’s breasts as they did.

“Okay, I’m going before I make you pay up here and now, against my better judgement.”

“And you’ll smell me and dream of me all night long....” smiled Julia.

“Quite likely,” Jocelyn smiled. “Goodnight, baby.”

“Goodnight... Momma!“

Jocelyn smiled and chuckled to herself all the way back to the church.

* * *

The next morning, people woke to a growing, nudging need for sex. The increase in sex drive was actually slow, waking people with it, yet giving people time to relieve their bladders and get back to their groups or chosen partners before becoming so powerful that they had to act on it. This gave some people a bit of a head start, and those whose partners hadn’t scurried back from the bathroom watched as those who had hurried gave each other pleasure.

It started off easy, so there was a lot of kissing and stroking to begin with, and a number of people discovered that being watched was not as scary and distracting as they had previously thought; in fact, they found it was quite stimulating in itself, and that the self-consciousness felt sexy rather than painful and frightening.

What clothes that were being worn were removed, but slowly, sensually, as the energy rose.

Linda concentrated on feeling the energy. There was a subtle difference to it, like a subtle seasoning in a meal, that changed the whole. It changed the focus, somehow. No, wait, it was affecting another part of her in addition to the sex drive. She looked to see Veronica staring at her, her eyes wide and pupils dilated wide. She turned and found Larry looking at her in exactly the same way. Both reached for her, and she moved into their arms like a woman into her true loves’ arms.

She heard Jocelyn and Chad beside them as Chad kissed his way down his mother’s body, just as Veronica was doing to hers, while Larry moved behind her, and, nose buried in her hair, caressed her breasts in the most loving way, and nibbled her ears and neck.

The passion slowly escalated. Veronica and Larry were, Linda realized, making love to her. This wasn’t just sex, this was making love.

She heard Chad and Jocelyn telling each other how much they loved each other as Chad slid himself inside his mother. “Oh my God, baby, I love you so much!” Jocelyn said as he slid home and she wrapped arms and legs around him, both thrusting together slowly and while yet still caressing each other.

She heard Larry tell her how much he loved her as he hugged her from behind, kneading her breasts and sucking on her neck. She hears herself answer that she loved him, too. Veronica’s “I love you, Linda,” was a bit distorted, as she was using her mouth exquisitely, and Linda stroked the hair on her head as she replied with the same words.

The feeling of love was so powerful that she almost cried with it. She was going to dive into Veronica soon, but told Larry to show Veronica how much he loved her. He did, moving around and rolling her over, kissing and then mounting her as he looked down on her with adoration. Linda got up and straddled Veronica’s face, saying “Make me cum for you, my love!”

The entire church was a gently moving sea of bodies, all focused on their partners or group, and telling each other, over and over again, how they loved each other. When people reached orgasm, it was almost always with the word “love” on their lips, even if their lips were busy doing something else at the time. There were none of the usual movements or exclamations common to regular fucking. That did not mean there was any less pleasure at all.

The wave crested, and slowly diminished, leaving people basking in the afterglow in each other’s arms, smiling at each other like newlyweds. It took half an hour for the feeling to pass completely, and people began dressing while still smiling and talking with each other. The feeling that was left was a deep feeling of love for everyone there, even if they weren’t the people they’d just made love with.

When Linda felt a bit clearer, she looked at Veronica and said, “Everyone will need to eat breakfast! Have we got a plan?”

“No, we were all so tired last night that we forgot!” came Jocelyn’s voice. She got up, still naked, and called out, “We need to figure out breakfast! Any ideas?”

“Pancakes!” called a teenage boy across the room.

“I think we can do that!” answered Jocelyn with a smile.

It took a short time to gather cooks, and people with homes nearby volunteered their kitchens. A short time later a number of people had volunteered to run the food from the houses to the church. A group was gathered to get pancake mix, syrup, butter, coffee, milk and juice from the grocery nearby, as well as cups, plates and utensils. The store owner led the way with a smile on his face. There was not a trace of greed, or even just business, present in that smile.

People felt good pitching in and helping. Friendly smiles were everywhere. Linda paused a moment, realizing this was unusual, and felt for any energies influencing them, but found nothing but the usual feeling of energy from the cave and those who had been treated. Everyone just seemed to be in a... good mood.

This lasted through breakfast, and when Jocelyn finally called for volunteers to help set the extremely high posts for the fence’s roof, most of the men and many of the women showed up to help. An exhausted Harry arrived, and was astonished at the number of willing hands. His assistant, Bill, who had actually slept a part of the night before and had the design plans, took over for Harry as workmen began bringing lumber and fencing. Incredibly high posts were erected, anchored in poles sunk 10 feet deep and concreted in, all over town. The framed wire panels were hoisted up and secured in place, wire connecting each panel to the next, with a small LED indicator light on each to indicate it was part of the circuit.

Jocelyn took Harry for some well-deserved leftover pancakes and an explanation. Linda noticed that Olivia and June went with them, and looked at her watch. She expected another wave shortly, as breakfast had taken a while to organize and cook, people had taken their time and talked a lot during and after, and they’d been erecting the roofing fence for a couple of hours now. Harry would understand the urgency to get the fence done completely after the wave.

They called a halt at noon to break for lunch. A number of people had gotten loaves of bread and sandwich makings from the grocery, and giant coolers of tea and lemonade as well as folding tables and chairs were brought out of the church and set up. Again, the remarkable spirit of cheerful cooperation held as folks ate together, talked, and joked.

Julia showed up, and found Linda, Larry and Veronica sitting together at one table, feeling good about the five large panels they personally had gotten finished. “Harriet says there will be a big one coming soon,” she told them. “Sorry to have missed breakfast!”

As they were finishing lunch, a short pulse of energy raced through the community and people grouped up, sweat, dirt, and all. About five minutes after that, the full flood of purely sexual energy surged through the town and didn’t diminish for quite a long time. The orgy was quite phenomenal and all-encompassing, going well beyond the little groups that had gathered together. Linda quickly lost track of who was around her, although somehow it was Larry who was always inside her throughout. The improbability of that she would have to consider later.

Julia, at one point, was pinned by a group of men and women just a few feet away, all of whom took pleasure from her body to Julia’s loud approval and delight as she had their cocks or pussies all over her body in a large clusterfuck with her at the center. Julia was, of course, in her element, and reveling in the excess, and giving almost as much as she got, writhing and rubbing and stroking and licking like mad.

There was simply too much to focus on. It was a sea of people ecstatically fucking with abandon. Who was with whom and what they were doing were questions that simply didn’t arise, and really, it didn’t matter. Everyone—everyone—was having sex. Cumming and making others cum was the irrepressable imperative.

The energy began to fade, and people began to slow. Linda looked about, feeling the ability to think and possibly even speak rationally return to her. She saw Harriet making her way over to her, stepping over and around people still striving toward a last orgasm. She felt her own, as Larry climaxed yet again inside her.

She fell back, panting and resting, as Harriet drew closer. “You came out... out of the cave! Are you not worried?”

“No, everyone is here, and far enough away from the fence that nothing is getting beyond it. And I really had to get out of there, I needed a shower so badly I couldn’t stand it.”

“Yeah... I get that, I do!” said Linda. “I’ve had to have a couple while you’ve been down there, so I can imagine.”

“I also really needed to set more treatments to keep people from feeling the despair. Enough treatments will keep anyone from feeling it, unless they work really hard to avoid everyone.” said Harriet.

“What happened this morning? That was different,” asked Larry, recovering.

“It was, wasn’t it?” grinned Harriet. “We found a way to add a... oh, call it a frequency, to stimulate certain emotions in people, namely love, although there is also a cluster of related positive emotions along with it. Lily based it on what Jack, Heather and I feel for each other.”

“It was... really, really great,” said Larry, and Linda nodded.

“It will happen every morning and night from now on,” said Harriet. “The more, ah, rambunctious version will happen at noon and just before dinner.”

“Mixing it up a bit, right?” said Julia, walking up naked and proud, and also covered with various fluids.

Indeed,” came the combined voices of Lily and Harriet. “I can feel the boundaries of the fence line, now. Can you?

Linda closed her eyes and ‘felt’. “They’re grounding out the energy!”

Yes.

“It’s working! Even incomplete, it’s working!”

The roof fencing must be completed. Once everyone is treated, I cannot guarantee that it will remain contained unless it is. The minor electrical charge in the outer fencing will help as well. The waves will only be attenuated, extremely weakened, but not completely blocked by the fencing at the energy’s peaks, but the normal background field will be blocked quite effectively.

People around them were gathering, looking at Harriet with awe.

We’re pregnant, now, you know.

‘Oh! Congratulations!” said Linda, and the sentiments were echoed by those around them.

“No, dear, she means we’re pregnant. You and I, both,” said Harriet to Linda, more quietly.

“What?” Linda asked, dumbfounded.

“You and Larry, and Jack and I, are going to be parents,” said Harriet.

Larry caught Linda as she sat down suddenly with no chair beneath her, and helped her stand again.

She will have your talent,” said Lily.

“Oh, uh, I... don’t know what to say!”

Larry got on one knee. “How about ‘yes’? Will you marry me, Linda? I know we love each other.”

“Uh...” The world spun, and the next thing she knew, she was looking up into Larry’s and Julia’s worried faces. Harriet hovered over their shoulders.

“I... never expected this!” she said, looking up at them.

“That was a good faint, honey! Perfect! Very theatrical and yet not hard enough to bang your head!” said Julia. “You can only say yes if you both promise I can come over a lot and sometimes spend the night!”

“Of course, Julia,” Larry assured her.

“Hey, wait, I haven’t even said yes yet!”

“Maybe I can bring Veronica or Juliette, or maybe Olivia and June sometimes?” pressed Julia. “Maybe Joss? Maybe even Harriet?”

“Well of course!” said Larry, as if this were the most natural thing in the world.

“Hey! Can I say something, here?” demanded Linda.

“Hmm?” said Julia.

“Yes, dear?” asked Larry.

“Yes. I’m saying ‘Yes’. I just wanted that settled,” said Linda, a bit petulantly.

They both laughed and kissed her, and Harriet smiled like it was her birthday surprise.

We said ‘yes’ to Jack this morning,” said Harriet. “Too bad there isn’t a jewelry store in town. We’ll have to special order the rings.

I suspect someone will have to take it up as a hobby,” said Linda. “I guess a number of people are going to have to start new jobs, now.”

Harriet nodded. “We’re going to have to be a lot more self-sufficient here, now.”

They watched as another section of roof fence was lifted and secured, above.

* * *

Linda smiled as she watched the two girls play in the church’s playground. Currently they were in the sandbox, working on a sandcastle of sorts. Harriet, next to her, said, “I just love how they’re such good friends! Lilah and Leah, who’d have thought?”

“Lily, of course,” replied Linda to the rubber-clad woman.

Of course, agreed Lily.

“Leah does feel the energy in Lilah,” said Linda. “She asked me about it last night. Mind you, it was in tjree-year-old-speak, but I knew what she meant. Has Lilah told you how she’s doing with being in a three-year-old’s body?”

“Same as last week,” said Harriet. “She’s really embraced the whole human life experience.”

She has really become human. There’s a part of her that is set just slightly apart and doesn’t interfere, and that she can’t access yet, but really, she’s fully integrated with her nervous system. She is a ‘she’, not a ‘they’. The only thing that is set apart is the specialized knowledge and abilities. But, of course, you know all that.

“Yes, but I always appreciate your completeness, Lily,” smiled Linda. “Sometime details slip, for us humans, and you prevent those from becoming lost. Did you get that from Harriet?”

I think so, though it may be a product of our synthesis. She does like to not lose track of details.

“Too true, to a fault!” laughed Harriet. “How are your studies coming?”

“Pretty well! Doc Milton says I’d be in my third year of med school.”

“It’s a shame they don’t certify by internet.”

“Well, that would only be important if I left town. As it is, Doc takes care of everybody and I just learn. I’ll basically be a nurse practitioner, and I’m in no hurry to become the town doctor for real. I’m also sort of his MRI machine—he does use me a lot to sense things like tumors before they’d show up on the equipment we’ve got, and usually that allows him to get them out before they can get nasty. If he can’t take them out, well, he calls you.”

That’s only been once so far, and it was easy to stop. Why your bodies don’t do that automatically is still odd to me. They have to be shown what is harmful. I would have designed a system that better monitors for and prevents such issues as part of the cellular repair system. On the other hand, I would never have thought of bodies in the first place, let alone designed them! At least I’ve been able to help a bit.

“More than a bit! People here are incredibly healthy!” laughed Linda. “Doc Milton spends more of his days fucking and practicing his archery! He does still pout about not being able to get out to play golf anymore,” she laughed.

“Do you regret that I never gave you a treatment?” asked Harriet.

“Heck, no!” exclaimed Linda. “I’m grateful that you didn’t risk my brand-new pregnancy, of course! And I think you were right, it probably would have messed up my ability to sense things. And this way, of course, I can keep a better eye on Lilah.”

“How is Julia doing?” asked Harriet. “I haven’t seen her for a few days, now.”

“She’s doing really well! She’s developed a real thing for my breast milk, right along with Larry. She comes by at least once a day, usually for the late afternoon sex with at least Larry and I. She spends the late morning session with Joss, Veronica and Chad, and most early mornings and nights with her family, of course. Veronica often comes by in the afternoon, too, and often Joss is with her. And Jack and Heather?”

“He’s still the most remarkable, caring man I’ve ever known! He lets us know he loves us in so many ways every single day! And Heather is a most loving wife to us, and so incredibly dear to us in her own amazing way.”

He is the best man we know, and we love him dearly. confirmed Lily. He and Heather and Lilah are our closest and beloved family. So are you and Leah, of course! We are thinking Heather might become pregnant with a baby, soon, with Jack as the father.

Really! That would be marvelous! We need to have at least some children! Otherwise, who will take care of us when we’re old?“

This is something Harriet thinks about a lot, said Lily. Though I understand so much of what it is to be human, now, aging is very different to experience personally than to understand second-hand! Our knees need a lot of attention and work these days, and while Harriet tells me this is natural, given how much we use them, it stills surprises me. And it... hurts... that we cannot have another child. Lilah is our treasure and we love her, but it would have been nice to have another.

“Don’t mind her, she gets like this sometimes,” said Harriet. “Mortality she was familiar with before she came here, but aging and its limitations make her pout. I tell her everyone else has to live with it, why shouldn’t she?"”

“We’re lucky for the time and life and body we have,” Linda told the creature. “Spend too much time dwelling on what you’ll lose, and you’ll not enjoy it while you have it!”

“That’s what Jack and I tell her,: said Harriet.

I try. But I worry about Lilah, and who will care for her when we’re gone.

“I worry about Leah like that, too. Every parent worries about that. All we can do is prepare them for life as best we can, and trust that they will make good choices, and that friends and family will look out for them and take care of them when we can’t anymore.”

That’s what everyone tells me, said Lily. i just wish we had longer!

“That’s life,” said Linda. “I wish I had better news, but that’s just the way it is. If it helps, there’s an entire town who will be looking out for Lilah, because they have a vested interest. And, of course, she has the people who love her, like me, and Heather, and Joss’ kids, and Veronica. We think of her as family. She is family for us.“

I know. It’s these human emotions and attachments. So much is so very good, but some are very painful.

“You didn’t have them before? You don’t talk much about what it was like for you before.”

No, nothing like now. If I reproduced, the other just went on it’s way, and so did I. It was just... what we did when we’d eaten enough. We... didn’t have a whole lot of sense of self, or identity. Once the split completed, she... it... was just an ‘other’ of us. It was... completely different. Almost completely.

“It was,” confirmed Harriet. “I can remember with her. It is hard for me to think about, it was so different. It makes me uncomfortable. It even makes Lily uncomfortable to remember it now.”

That’s a great deal of why I don’t talk about it with you, said Lily. I’ve become too human.

“Well, Lily,” said Linda, taking her hand, “it really will be okay. Lilah will be loved and cared for by so many more people than most humans. Like you and Harriet are.”

I know. And that makes me sad and happy at the same time.

“We have made our town a very special place to live. And you are a huge part of that, you and Harriet. It’s a good place to live and grow up and grow old. It’s not just the sex, it’s the love. A good place to have grandkids, one day.”

“Better than anywhere else I’ve ever been,” said Jack from behind them, walking up with Heather.

“Anywhere would be heaven where our ladies are, that’s what Jack says,” said Heather, grinning at Harriet. “He’s right, of course!”

“Of course I am!” Said Jack with a smile.

There was a long period of kissing and caressing as the friends and family greeted each other.

Then they turned to look at the two children playing in the sand. “We really do need to have some more of those,” said Linda. “Have you figured out a way to keep it from becoming a fetish?”

We’re experimenting with Heather, replied Lily.

Heather blushed, a very unusual event for her.

We think the block that allows conversation and rational discussion during the high sexual surges seemed to work well, and I’m adding a tweak or two which may help. If she doesn’t develop a pregnancy fetish, we’ll offer it for family planning.

“Good. The girls need more playmates.”

“Big sisters to all the town kids! That will be something to see!” said Heather.

“Did you see the outer fence got rebuilt and strengthened? They’re going to re-roof-fence us shortly. Jocelyn is arranging for the post setting now.” asked Linda. “They’re going to lower the completed roof-fance into place with two Huey helicopters! She told me this morning.”

“We heard. Joss keeps me well-informed on those things,” said Harriet. “I’m so glad that idea worked!”

“Joss talks to her sheriff friend every other day through the fence, now, have you noticed?” asked Linda, wiggling her eyebrows.

“Oh, yes. I think the town will gain a new resident sometime soon. Their junior-high school romance has definitely rekindled!”

“Yes, she is so much happier these days!” agreed Jack. “I’m very happy for her, and for him! She’s a very good woman!”

“Did she tell you that he had a hard time at first, when she explained everything? I had to go and talk to him and explain. But he’s a smart man; he paid attention and saw how well everything works in here, and how few of the outside world’s problems, the ones he has to deal with every day, happen in here. He’s come around,” said Harriet.

“Yeah, he’d be out of a job in here,” laughed Heather. “No crime!”

“That’s part of why he’s waiting until he retires to join us,” said Harriet.

The other reason is that he’s our main liaison to the outside world, and keeps our secret well. said Lily.

“Is he finding a replacement who is trustworthy?” asked Linda.

“He’s looking,” replied Jack. “Joss says that he says there’s a promising deputy, one who grew up here, too. Still remembers a lot of the people here. He’s been asking questions about us, wanted to come visit a few weeks back and was surprised when he got to the fence and saw all the “No Trespassing” and “Entry Forbidden” signs. The sheriff told him the town had bought out everything and declared it all private property, but everyone still lived here, we just didn’t want anyone from the outside coming in. He’s giving the impression that we’re kind of a self-declard Mayberry, choosing to preserve a time and society separate from everyone else. He said there was a movie like that recently, that helps the few people who’ve asked understand. The fact that people still send out letters to people they know talking about life as normal, if not very high-techy, helps, too. Mail and packages going in and out, and food being delivered shows everything is more or less normal. We’re looked at by outsiders as a bit odd and reclusive, but then they just shrug and get on with their lives. Apparently some of those people even think that’s a great idea. There appears to be a lot of chaos in the larger society out there right now.”

“Mama! Mama! Guess what! Lilah can make sparks!” said little Leah, running up excitedly.

Linda cocked and eyebrow at Harriet, who blushed and ducked her head, saying, “Yes, she’s learning some tricks like that. Nothing dangerous. Just... flashy.”

“That’s a good trick, isn’t it, Leah? I wish I could do that!” said Linda to her child.

“Oh. I thought you could if you wanted to,” said Leah. “Hi Grampa Jack and Aunt Heather!”

Heather and Jack said “Hello” and waved from behind the mothers.

“Everyone has things that only they can do, or do really well. You can see energy in a way no one else can see, not even Lilah,” said Linda.

“Oh! Ohhh!” said Leah, brightening.

“Yep! We just have to look for the special talents in everyone and see how cool they are!”

“Uh-huh!” said Leah, turning around and running back to play with her best friend, crying “Do it again, do it again!”

“You’re a good mom,” said Harriet, sighing.

“Hey, so are you! Lilah is turning into a really great kid!” said Linda to Harriet. “I expect life will get interesting when she hits puberty, for all of us!”

“If I do well, it shouldn’t be too much more interesting than usual. After all, she understood the plan and its reasons before we split. She will remember all of that when the time comes.”

“Don’t underestimate the potential for youth to revolt against the status quo!” warned Heather. “Or to make stupid mistakes enthusiastically. I should know! Of course, sometimes they aren’t mistakes, or stupid!” she said, embracing her wife and husband.

“I’m not underestimating. I hope! We’re working on it.” said Harriet.

Linda laughed and hugged her friend, sometimes lover, and town succubus. “Well, even if it gets weird, it will be fun! I mean, what everyone else in the world would think weird is de rigeur here, now. What’s a little more weirdness between friends?“

The End