The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

61 Days in River City

CHAPTER 8

Shield Maiden/Vicky and Pinnacle/Sonia were back atop a roof looking down on the scene below. They were getting used to this area now and felt much more confidant about chasing down someone like SureShot, should that be necessary.

It was also useful if they had to run for whatever reason. They knew which rooftops they could jump and which they couldn’t. Safe drops had been developed for each other and specific meeting places they could run to if they got separated.

Also they had a couple of good hidey holes they could scamper to in an emergency. The hidey holes were now stocked with food and drink and each one also had a large empty tank and a tube with a smooth curved end which fit nicely over and helped them to fill the tank without any smelly spillage. In short, they were as prepared as they ever would be.

Their patrols were becoming routine and there had been no more sightings of them in the area. They had explored the idea of showing themselves in different areas of the city in order to draw attention away from Shadowland, but had decided that would take too much time and effort and would detract them from their objective.

Pinnacle/Sonia gave a sudden indraw of breath and, at the same time, so did Shield Maiden/Vicky.

“There’s a robbery starting now,” said Pinnacle/Sonia. “Armed men going into a bar down there.”

“Move,” said Shield Maiden/Vicky. They rolled and automatically sprayed their vampire defence.

“Ignore the robbery,” answered Shield Maiden/Vicky eventually. “Someone’s just spotted us.” She was focusing now. “Over there, just a couple of blocks away. They must be on a rooftop. Let’s get out of here.” They sprinted for the fire escape.

“I’ve spotted them,” said Divine, viscous pleasure oozing from her speech as she watched them through her night vision binoculars. “Over there, on the rooftop. Quick. She’s pointing at us. She’s detected us.”

“Forget it. There’s a robbery going down right now,” said Pinnacle.

“What?” screamed Divine. “Now? This isn’t a comic story. Coincidences like this just don’t…”

“Come on,” was the answer. Divine looked round at Pinnacle’s arse as she raced for the fire escape.

“Shit,” said Divine with venom as she raced after her impulsive friend.

Running to the bar, Pinnacle powered up her Stare. To her this was a textbook case of how to use it and one she had practised over and over ’till she was heartily sick of it. The good news was it was second nature to her now.

She didn’t ignore Divine’s shouts to stop and consider, she just didn’t hear them because of the adrenaline surging through her system. Pinnacle simply charged through the doors with a loud and practised kiai on her lips. Everyone there turned and stared in shock at the sudden noise and she let loose her Stare.

She paralysed everyone.

“Customers over there,” she ordered. “Robbers over there.” She had the robbers disarmed and in cuffs before they recovered their wits.

Divine ended up looking on with approval and frustration. The kid was still too impulsive. It worked this time but it won’t work like this every time. They stayed until the police arrived and handed them over.

“Thank you ladies. At least there’s no bodies to deal with this time,” said the senior cop with a smile.”

Divine didn’t like that. “We don’t use guns officer. You should know that.”

One look at her face dissuaded him from further comment.

Pinnacle, still high on adrenaline, added, “That last time wasn’t us. We’re here now to see if we can find them.”

“Are you going to fight them?”

“No,” lied happy Pinnacle. “We just want them not to use us as their hero identities. I’m certain everything will be fine once we talk to them.”

The cop looked at her and at Divine and didn’t believe a word. But he said nothing. He would report it back at the office though. This may require additional personnel here which meant overtime. That would be handy.

Their talk was interrupted by a female form in a motorcycle outfit coupled with a full face helmet. She pushed up the visor to display a pair of striking blue eyes and waved her press credentials at them.

“Good work ladies. I’m sure the city will be proud of your efforts tonight. Can you say why you just didn’t use your guns? It did look as if that would be safer.”

Divine’s aspect darkened and Pinnacle hurriedly intervened. The cop noted their reactions and backed off. He certainly didn’t want to be identified in this. He was experienced and just knew it would be trouble.

“Just for the record,” Pinnacle, still on a happy high, told her, “that wasn’t us. We don’t use guns and we weren’t here that night. There are a couple of people out there helping us but they’re using our uniforms to do so. We want them to know that’s fine up ’till now, but they really should get their own uniforms from now on. We don’t want to take any credit that’s rightfully theirs.”

Divine was impressed at that little speech. She didn’t know Pinnacle had it in her to lie so convincingly. Perhaps she would end up being a politician? She could go all the way with impromptu comments like that.

Motorcycle Maid turned suddenly just as Divine was about to castigate her over that drag queen accusation.

‘Rude,’ thought Divine.

“Someone’s watching us right now,” said the girl with the sparkling blue eyes in the full face helmet. She started to run off to an alley across the road. The two heroes smiled tight little smiles of triumph. They knew exactly who was watching them and ran after, letting Motorcycle Maid lead the way. They didn’t speculate, or even think about speculating, how she knew what she knew.

“She’s spotted us,” said Shield Maiden/Vicky urgently as she turned and ran. Pinnacle/Sonia followed. ‘How’s she doing that?’ thought Shield Maiden/Vicky. She didn’t recognise anything about her that indicated she had such a power.

Pinnacle and Divine followed Motorcycle Maid into the alley and immediately saw the two they were searching for at the far end. They both grabbed a shoulder and pulled Motorcycle Maid down onto her bum as they raced towards their prey.

* * *

Motorcycle Maid was livid. This was her scoop and those two bitches weren’t going to stop her. She got back up and raced after them.

It was hard going, avoiding the trash and the bottles and the occasional person lying oblivious in the way while trying at all times to keep close enough to see which way they turned next. The full moon above was more than useful here.

She was thinking about increasing her gym attendances when she rounded a corner and saw Divine go down in the distance. She just didn’t seem to turn a corner and smashed into a wall instead.

Racing towards her she saw her rise and race off. At the same corner there was a searing pain in the sole of her left foot and her feet slid out from under her. She fell awkwardly and suffered a number of what felt like electric shocks along her body. Her helmet saved her head when it smashed onto the concrete, but her focus was such she didn’t miss what happened next.

Pinnacle was in the lead when she turned the next corner, or tried to. Motorcycle Maid winced, despite her own pain, when she saw Pinnacle’s feet fly out from under her and she crashed heavily into the brick wall. The pursuit stopped there as Divine approached that corner carefully and consequently they lost their prey.

Motorcycle Maid was next to them by the time Pinnacle had managed to stand. Divine had investigated the ground.

“Some sort of oil. They must have dropped it, just like those balls that got me. I should’ve done a wall walk like you. Did you see them being dropped?”

“Yes. Thought you did too.”

Motorcycle Maid chirped up, “I don’t think they were balls, Divine.” She held up a four pronged thing to them.

“That’s a caltrop,” said Divine. “They dropped those?” She looked at The Maid and winced.

“Looks like you fell right in them.”

Motorcycle Maid gave a half smile they couldn’t see through the helmet.

“Yes. Even my leathers didn’t stop them sticking in. There’s a lot of them. One even got through my boot. Didn’t that happen to you as well?”

“No,” answered Divine immediately, then backtracked a bit.

“Well, I must’ve been lucky. That happens more often than you think when you’re travelling fast.”

Motorcycle Maid looked at her carefully.

“You aren’t punctured at all, are you? But you fell among them. I saw that. Why weren’t you stabbed by them?”

She looked closer.

“Wait. You are punctured. There’s a couple of puncture holes where that cutout is in your uniform...”

She shut up there as her next scoop popped into her mind. Their uniforms are puncture proof. Are they bullet proof as well? How could she verify that? She immediately knew one way and wondered how to test it safely. There was a story or three out of this, but she’d better feign ignorance for now until she clarified her thoughts. They would just lie anyway if she asked now. And why did they have cutouts anyway?

“As I said, just luck. But you look bad. You’d better get yourself off to a hospital. I’m serious.”

Motorcycle Maid looked at herself and understood now how many times she’d been pierced.

“Look,” said Divine, pulling them out for her, “it looks like these things,” she held up a caltrop, “won’t cause you any serious damage. But they’ve pierced your skin multiple times and they may be poisoned, or infected in some way. It’s important you get yourself seen to.”

The motorcycle Maid agreed and left. She eventually went to a hospital to get herself checked out, but not before she checked out every other alley in the area. This time she found nothing. At least the editing would be easy.

* * *

Once Motorcycle Maid had gone, Divine spoke up. “They think they’ve gotten away this time.”

“They have.”

”Have they? What about your sense of smell and hearing?”

“Here? Do you realise what the smells are like around here?”

“But you can filter that out, can’t you? Think about it. Those two think they’re in the clear now. We can still take them if we get the drop on them. And that depends on you. Do you want more memes of your naked ass going round the web?”

Pinnacle was convinced, but she activated her hearing first in the hope of not having to activate her enhanced smell at all. She heard everything as one sound before she focused it down to what she wanted. “Someone’s wandering around close to us. It’s one person. He or she is walking slowly and carefully.”

“That’ll be Motorcycle Maid. She’s still trying to get a bigger story. Anything else?”

“No.” Pinnacle shuddered as she activated her smell sense and quickly tuned out all the rotting garbage, urine and faeces that permeated the atmosphere.

There were other smells as well, sex, rats, corruption and cockroaches being the main ones. She was surprised at how much sex and shitting was happening in this area, but, that wasn’t her concern. She just pitied those who had to resort to these alleys to get their rocks off. She finally smelt something different, a faint yet clear floral smell intermixed with something else, something not unpleasant but not pleasant either. Walking to the end of the alley, where she saw fake Pinnacle last, she confirmed this was her smell.

“She smells good,” she said, wanting to annoy Divine for making her go through the disgusting smells and for reminding her she could do this. She always forgot her senses in the heat of action. She walked to where she saw the other one last and took in the essence.

“The other one smells exactly the same as fake Pinnacle,” she eventually said, frowning.

“That’s strange. I bet it means something. But you have their scent now. Let’s follow it.”

They followed the long and meandering trail. The scents diverged a few times along the route. One of them had, apparently, climbed to a nearby rooftop a few times while the other walked away.

“That’s probably them checking no one is following,” Divine concluded after a moment’s thought.

“It’s obvious they’re being extremely careful not to let anyone follow them,” Pinnacle eventually concluded.

“Good. When they’ve confirmed they haven’t been followed, we can take them by surprise.” Divine was keen to finish this now.

“Have you forgotten that Divine, or that other character now, can detect people without seeing them?”

“Doesn’t mean she’ll detect us. She’s not expecting us. She’ll be complacent.”

They were in the centre of a long straight alley, full of garbage cans, some of which were still upright. The ground was wet in places without apparent cause but neither of them investigated that.

Suddenly that hobo character appeared at the end of the alley and sprayed the air in front of her. The spraying was intriguing but nothing happened as Divine and Pinnacle stopped and prepared themselves. That character threw something which smashed on the concrete in front of them and the vilest, most disgusting smell erupted around them. They turned to run, only to see that Pinnacle character do the same from the other end. Divine was thrown onto her face as a bullet slammed into her back. Another two hit as she lay there winded.

They were enveloped in smell and Pinnacle dropped to the ground as well when her legs buckled. It seemed to consist of tiny specks of solid particles because they could feel them up their noses and down their throats. It made them vomit. Their eyes watered so fiercely they were effectively blind. They both heard noises and, suddenly, there was some sort of cloth thrown over them. It kept the smell from escaping and concentrated their misery which was increased even further when something was thrown under the tarpaulin. It was small and round and emitted an emergency siren, blasting their ears, especially Pinnacle’s.

It took them a long time to crawl through the fug under the tarpaulin and breathe clean air again.

Divine checked her pouch where she had placed the airtight evidence container. She had opened it under the fug and closed it again, well, hopefully she had. This would be tested once she got back. Hopefully that would give them some more information on the pair.

Pinnacle was still game and activated her sense of smell again. “It’s gone,” she wailed.

“What’s gone?” Divine was still struggling to see and breathe. The pain in her back didn’t help. It would be massively bruised tomorrow.

“My sense of smell. It’s gone. So’s my hearing. I can’t activate them.”

“No wonder. They’ve overloaded your senses with the smell and noise to stop you following them. And they led us here where they had that tarpaulin ready.”

Pinnacle made some comment Divine couldn’t understand. She didn’t worry about it. She had problems of her own.

Sonia was in the shower washing off Vicky’s scent. Vicky would be next in there. She would automatically change her personal body odour overnight. This had become a routine once they learnt of Pinnacle’s powers. It was a nuisance, but better safe than sorry. It was safer for Sonia to have Vicky’s scent as Sonia couldn’t change hers. Besides, that could confuse them more, which could only be a good thing.

After the cleansing, Sonia said “You were right, Shield Maiden’s an excellent choice.”

Vicky grinned. “Yeah. Those pouches are great to hold stuff. I’ll have to make more caltrops now, but we’ve a ready supply of oil. That’ll be easy. We’ll have to be careful with the stink bombs though. I don’t think we’ll get more any time soon.”

“But why didn’t the caltrops work properly?” mused Sonia. “And I bet that episode won’t have dissuaded them.”

“You’re not wrong there. I didn’t miss either. Their uniforms must be bulletproof. We’ll have to think up some sort of distraction for them. Keep them occupied on something safe, well away from here. As well as stay out of their way. I don’t think trying to kill Divine was such a good idea now.” She had a sudden thought. “And that’ll be why the caltrops didn’t work. Both their uniforms must be puncture proof. It would be useful to get a sample of that, or the whole uniform if we can’t cut it.”

“Not if it interferes with killing Alicia.” Sonia wasn’t budging on that.