The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Title: Spiralling into the Black Hole

Author: BedHead

Chapter 6 — Singularity

Captain Rau strolled down the corridor with Captain Reine, exchanging inconsequential observations. After the conversation at dinner, Rau was steeling herself for a no-holds-barred argument with Reine, but it was only going to be appropriate to do it in private.

One of the Signet’s original-model robots was walking slowly up the corridor towards them. Rau noted its stiff movements—Reine had been correct, the model on the Signet had was regarded as primitive by Space Force now. Although Mustang itself didn’t have any humanoid robots, Rau had served with far better models on her earlier ships.

The two captains made room for the robot to pass, with Reine stepping behind Rau. The robot walked past them, and Rau thought nothing more of it—only realizing after a few seconds that the sound of the robot’s steps had stopped. So had Reine’s.

The robot produced a hidden stunner and fired it twice at Rau’s back.

Rau collapsed on the floor, completely stunned. The attack had come out of nowhere. She was unable to process what was happening, and her vision had gone very blurry. Her brain was unable to command her body to do anything or her mouth to say anything.

She was vaguely aware of a door opening, and two figures in medical uniform bending down to pick her up. She was pulled into the room, her clothes efficiently removed and replaced with a gown, and then she was hoisted onto a chair.

As her vision started to return, she realized that she was being strapped into the chair; tight bands had been fastened around her arms and legs, and more were being attached to her by the medical staff. She blinked, and realized that Reine was standing in front of her.

“Reine? What’s going on?” she mumbled, her tongue still not quite in full control. Her body ached.

“Welcome to Optometry, Indira,” Reine smiled. “May I introduce my ship’s former doctor, Surgeon-Commander Putina?”

Rau looked at the person Reine was indicating, and recoiled in shock. She recognized Putina’s face from the briefing documents on the Signet, but Putina’s eyes were now empty of any personality. A metal plate was embedded in her forehead, with several sockets and lights in it.

“Naturally, she’s not quite the person that she was before,” observed Reine.

“What the hell is she? What did you do?” Rau saw that the other medic too had been similarly changed from a human to... something cybernetic, she was not sure what.

“Well, Captain, I’m sure you’ve had the occasional wrangle with your crew when you wanted to do one thing, and they another. This was our way of resolving the situation. Dr Putina’s researches, of which you have no doubt read in the news, gave her a near-unparalleled insight into the way that the human mind works, and how it can be controlled by decoupling the personality. I got her to apply it to the crew—and then, finally, to herself.”

Rau felt her bladder loosen.

“It’s ironic, really,” sighed Reine. “You’d expect a Russian to be able to think several steps ahead—they famously play chess from birth!—but Dr Putina couldn’t see that I would anticipate her attempt to take the ship from me.” She indicated the medical equipment. “Still, she developed some very useful equipment in that attempt.”

Rau had no idea what Reine was talking about, but the woman was clearly not in her right mind.

“You’ve truly gone nuts, haven’t you?” She shook her head. “I’ve seen it happen in deep space before, but never this bad. Let me out of here, and I’ll get help for you; Osei is very good at managing psychological conditions. We can help you get better. Don’t make things worse.” She winced as Putina started to attach electrodes to the corners of her eyes.

Reine laughed, pleasantly.

“Oh Indira, quite the contrary. Things are going to get better. Much, much better.”

Putina and her assistant had finished attaching the electrodes to Rau, and now stood back.

“Do they still train commanders in resisting interrogation, Indira?” Reine asked. “I have to say, that was a part of the training I really enjoyed.”

Rau shook her head, not wanting to encourage Reine.

“What a shame. Mariya, the drug please.”

Putina pressed a hypospray against Rau’s neck. It stung.

“You’re going to turn me into one of... those?” Rau asked, indicating Putina and her nurse. She tried not to show fear, mostly successfully.

“No, my dear Indira, not at all. You have so much in your mind that is valuable to me. And I will need you to help me convert the rest of your crew. No, this room is where Dr Putina discovered how to install complete loyalty in someone’s mind. You’ve already met Commander McKay—she was on the edge of leading a mutiny against me before, but now she is the most loyal first officer I could ever wish for. She would do anything for me.“

Reine leaned in to Rau’s ear and whispered: “Absolutely... anything.”

Rau decided that she had nothing to lose with defiance.

“I’d rather die than betray my crew, Reine. You should know that. You were a captain—once.”

“I’m sure that’s the way you think now.” Reine stroked Rau’s face. “You can try to torment secrets out of your captives, but they do say that you can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. So sometimes it’s better to make sure that your subject is happy. Very, very, happy. Don’t you agree, Indira?, Hel” She pressed a button.

Rau felt the chair hum, and then something cold start to enter her sex.

“What’s that... no, stop it!” She tried to pull away, but the straps were too tight. “Get it out of me!”

“Are you sure? You don’t like it?” Reine pouted. “How about this?”

Rau’s cheeks now were pushed apart as the second probe headed upwards.

“Mmmm! No, please, Helga! It hurts! Ooooh! Stop!” Reine ignored Rau’s pleas, and eventually both probes settled in place.

“Look at you, Captain Rau,” Reine smirked. “Out of uniform, and with toys stuck up your pussy and ass. What a naughty girl you are.”

Rau glared at Reine, or at least tried to. She was finding it hard to focus, and Reine’s voice was sounding odd.

“The drug is probably affecting you now,” confirmed Reine. “You know, Indira, I’ve fucked lots of people, but never a Captain before.” She pressed another button, and the ribbed metal probe in Rau’s sex started to move in and out, slowly but irresistibly. Rau grasped the arms of the chair and tried to suppress a whimper of inadvertent pleasure.

“And definitely never before, a Captain in her ass.” The rear probe started to move in and out too. Rau’s vision was starting to blur, and she was panting as the pain and pleasure competed for her drugged mind’s attention.

“You think... this will make me... comply?” she managed to force out. “You’re... mistaken.”

“Perhaps, my darling Indira, perhaps.” Reine watched perspiration drip from Rau’s face. “How is that making you feel, hmmm? A little horny, perhaps? You’ve not been ‘getting any’ on this voyage?”

Rau ignored the taunt, no matter how accurate it was, and focused her mind as best she could, despite the effects of the drug.

“A little more medicine, I think, Mariya.” Reine’s words sounded like they came from a long way away. Rau felt another sting at her neck as more psychoactive agent was administered. She bit the inside of her cheek, hoping the pain would keep her in the ‘now’.

“Oh, you’re a strong one,” Reine purred from behind her. “I’m so pleased that they’ve kept up the standards for captains in Space Force.”

Rau tried deep breaths, drawing in through her nose and out of her mouth. The extra oxygen helped, briefly. She tried to think back to her graduation at Space Force Officers’ Academy, the proud faces of her parents in the crowd, the feeling of pride in herself..

“You’re lucky I’m here, you know.” Rau tried to shut out Reine’s voice, but it didn’t work. “If I left you to the tender mercies of Dr Putina and her nurse, they would keep the treatment going until you suffered total mental and physical collapse. Then, you’d only be fit for vivisection. And you know, we don’t anesthetize for that. Might degrade the organs, you see.”

Rau’s bladder let go at that point. She had a secret fear of sharp blades, and the drug was amplifying all her fears.

“Oh dear, Indira has messed herself. Clean her up, will you Bea?” Rau felt someone sponging between her thighs. “Poor baby, Indira. Are you afraid?” Reine cooed.

Tears started to prick between Rau’s eyes.

“Can I tell you a secret, Indira?” Reine’s blurry face appeared close in front of Rau. Rau moaned, unable to respond as she would have liked.

Reine moved to the side and whispered in Rau’s ear.

“Maxine did a thorough analysis of Dr Putina’s results. And do you know what she found?” Rau inadvertently squealed as Reine’s warm tongue probed her ear.

“The reprogramming is much more effective when the subject is exhausted. Do you feel tired now, Indira?”

Rau’s stomach sank. She had been played. Her shoulders slumped, and the remaining energy drained out of her body.

“I think she’s ready for you now, Mariya.” The lobotomized Putina swung the optical viewpiece in front of Rau’s eyes, and strapped it in place. After a short delay, strobing starbursts started to play in Rau’s vision, and a loud complex hum started in her ears.

Rau, in her exhausted body, was finding it very hard to hang on to sanity, and desperately closed her eyes to protect herself. The shocks from the electrodes forced her eyes open again.

Reine’s voice came through the headphones. “The hypnosis program should be able to break you in about fifteen minutes, Indira. Maybe ten, now we’ve burned you out. Enjoy the ride. I will see you once your loyalties are fully reprogrammed. And then, we will have fun together.”

The hum returned, and the machine pulled Rau’s mind down a deep, dark hole.

* * *

The McKays took a shuttle car back to the officers’ quarters. Frances guided her sister to her room.

“I’m sorry, Kate, I haven’t cleaned up recently.” She started to scoop up papers and pads from her desk.

Kate looked around the room approvingly. “Nice. Your own room—and you’ve got your own shower! I should have requested a slot on a Signet-class vessel. Well, okay, there was only ever the one.”

“What’s the Mustang like?” asked Frances, dumping her nightclothes to the floor from the spare chair, and pushing it in her sister’s direction.

“Cozy!” laughed Kate. “Two showers. Eight crew: Five of whom are men, who at least don’t take long in the shower, but oh my goodness, they are pigs. Especially Tours—take it from me, sister, you do not want to shower directly after he does. I bunk with Surgeon-Commander Osei who, thank goodness, is scrupulously tidy and doesn’t snore. Enlisted have a 3-bunk room, Commanders Fournier and Shatner have a 2-bunk like I and Osei do, and Captain Rau has her own space, of course.“

She paused.

“I’ve missed you, Frankie. When the Signet was overdue, I feared the worst. After a year, I gave up on you. I’m sorry.” She suddenly sobbed, and her sister embraced her.

“It’s OK, Katie. You couldn’t have known.” Frances paused. “It’s been weird for me—it hasn’t been three years since we left, from my point of view. I can’t imagine how hard it’s been for you.”

She hesitated. “What happened with Mam? She wasn’t in a good state when we went out of comms range.”

“She died not long after that.” Kate wiped her face. “No-one was surprised. I miss her, obviously, but it was probably for the best.”

She blew her nose, and straightened up. “All right, ‘baby sister’.” She forced a grin. “Tell me about your ship!”

“Tell me about you first!” Frances indicated Kate’s insignia. “You were a Yeoman First Class when I left. You went for a commission?”

“Yes! I got really interested in cybernetics and robotics and decided I needed to learn more. Space Force sponsored me through an engineering degree, I turned out to be good with relativistic physics, and ended up as Nav specialist with secondary ability in robotics.”

“Well done you!” Frances grinned. “So, you’re a Mustang—from enlisted to officer—on the ‘Mustang’.”

Kate punched her sister. “Oh my, do you know how often the Senior Chief has made that joke? I swear, it’s every week. One of these days he’s going to have an unfortunate accident with a power conduit.”

“You could order him not to make it any more,” observed Frances, mischievously.

“Right... a new lieutenant giving an order like that to a Senior Chief. I’m sure that would go well. When I was still a yeoman, I saw what my Chief did when a new ensign made the mistake of giving him a stupid order.”

She paused. “Do you think I could have a look at your new robots? I’d bet that they’re interesting. I read a number of Captain Reine’s publications—they’re still regarded as ground-breaking. I’d love to see what she came up with.”

“That should be OK. Let me message the Captain.” Frances tapped a short message into a data pad.

Kate gazed around the cabin, and spotted the jewelry box on the nightstand. “You kept it!”

“Of course, I did.” Frances smiled. “Reminds me of you every day.”

“Awww...” Kate squeezed her sister. “You’re still a softie.”

Frances’s pad bleeped, and she read the message, raising her eyebrows. “Okay, the Captain is cool with me showing you the manufacturing process and the genesis of the intelligences.” She put the pad down. “Come on, I’ll give you an in-depth tour.”

“I am so there!” Kate pulled out a small notepad-format data pad. “Let’s go.”

“It’s about five minutes from here,” Frances explained. “We’re not making any at the moment, but the Captain wants me to walk you through the manufacturing steps.”

“That’s fine by me.”

* * *

Maxine led the four men through the huge hydroponics bay that covered a good fraction of the left front side of the Signet.

“We graduate the temperature longitudinally across the bay,” she intoned, “to maximize the range of food we can produce. This is the mid-temperate region from which we mainly source apples, potatoes, cabbage, leeks, and smaller amounts of auxiliary fruits such as strawberries.”

The Mustang crew marveled at the lush green leaves and brightly colored fruit that lined the pathway. Ortega reached up to pluck an apple, remembering Captain Reine’s blessing, and savored the crisp, sweet taste.

“And this kept a crew of 500 well fed?” enquired Tours.

“This, and three other bays. We did not have fresh food for everyone every day, but enough to be a significant support for morale. We synthesized protein in bulk, and used the fresh food to make it more attractive.”

“But not now, of course,” observed Fournier.

“We have been reducing our use of hydroponics since the crew left,” agreed Maxine. “The other bays are mostly shut down now. In this bay we optimize for variety rather than volume.”

Fournier had noticed a number of androids tending to the plants away from the main path. These must be the newer models Reine had mentioned, with a more human-like movement. Intrigued, he slipped away from the group via a side path, to take a closer look.

The androids varied in size, and the one which had attracted Fournier’s attention was quite small. It was applying some kind of feed mixture to a few rows of strawberry plants, and had apparently just completed the task. Seemingly satisfied with its work, it stood up and started walking to the nearby side of the bay.

It was limping.

Robots didn’t limp, at least in Fournier’s experience.

Carefully and quietly, he followed the slow, limping android to an anonymous door in the side of the bay, closing to within a few feet of the android but eliciting no reaction. The android touched the door controls, and entered. Fournier looked around quickly; seeing no-one else, he slid through the door just as it closed.

Maxine’s subroutines flashed up a picture of Fournier entering the android regeneration space within a second of him doing so; the intrusion alerting function of the Signet security cameras was old but still worked very well. Had she been a human, Maxine would have sighed in exasperation.

As it was, she triggered a response by her controlled robots, and continued talking to the remaining Mustang crew members without any interruption.

Fournier looked around the room, and swallowed. Suddenly, he had a very good idea why the Signet had slagged the Mustang’s close-range sensors.

The room was narrow, but long. Twenty seats were positioned against each long wall, and in most of those seats sat... something. Fournier was not sure what they were, but he could recognize what they used to be.

Thirty-two pairs of eyes stared blankly at the room. Thirty-two optical cables were connected to sockets in the metal plates in each thing’s forehead.

Thirty-three mirrored visors were stored neatly in an array of cubbyholes at the entrance.

As Fournier watched, the small android—person?—whom he’d seen limping in the hydroponics bay took a spare seat, and plugged a nearby cable into her forehead socket.

Fournier cautiously approached her. The creature was mostly bald, but with some dark hair starting to grow back. The face was female, but her eyes were blank and unreactive. She wore an anonymous dark ankle-length cloak with forearm-covering gloves.

Fournier touched her shoulder. There was no reaction. He gazed into her face, which might once have been pretty but was now empty of any evidence of soul.

He slowly knelt in front of her, and lifted the edge of her cloak to her knees.

Her left leg ended abruptly at the ankle. A complex metal prosthesis was attached, bridging to a booted foot that would have looked human were it not for the spidery web of metal just below the ankle.

The prosthesis was bolted on, with metal rods running all the way through the remaining limb. Looking at their path, they most likely traversed the ends of the tibia and fibula.

Fournier had a sudden urge to vomit. He managed to choke it back, and stood up. Reaching behind his back, he pulled out a small but powerful concealed phaser. While Captain Rau had not ordered her officers to arm themselves, she hadn’t explicitly ordered them to be disarmed either. And Fournier was very well tuned to what his Captain was not saying.

Fournier hit his communicator. “Fournier to Rau.” He paused, listening, but there was no reaction.

He tried again. “Fournier to Mustang.” The badge crackled, but still no response.

Giving up, Fournier fiddled with the door controls, but the door was apparently in no mood to let him back in the hydroponics bay. Instead, he spotted another door at the far end to the room, and went there. This door was more easily reprogrammed: A few combinations, and the door hissed open.

Two sentry robots stood there; their phasers were leveled at him.

Fournier managed a single thought before the phasers fired, drilling through his sternum, aorta, and spine. He fell to the floor, his face registering no more than mild surprise.

In the twenty seconds before his brain died, Fournier briefly chastised himself for being ambushed, and wondered what would happen to his Captain and crew. Then the black fog rolled in, and his soul moved on.