The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Vigil: Part 1

Chapter Seven

Calypso Pharmaceuticals Research Facility A2, 11PM

Vigil pulled herself up the ledge, vaulting over to the roof of the building. She was on the outskirts of the facility, a six storey building with quite possibly a large underground section. Fortunately, Doctor Ghash’s office was on the fourth storey. From communications in the company’s intranet, she’d learnt Ghash stayed at work until around midnight every day.

The barbed wire and sole watchtower guarding the main road made the facility stand out from its surroundings. Dropping her stakeout bag on the floor, she took out her binoculars. Zooming in to the watchtower, she smiled as she recognised the weapon.

* * *

“That’s a variant of the FN-MAG.” Angie said. “It stands for...Fabreek Nation-ell, Mit...mit-rail...errr…” she frowned through her mask, fishing her notebook from the haversack they’d brought. Angie was in her vigilante uniform, donning the bright colours of Lightraye.

“Is this really necessary?” Vigil whispered.

“No, not at the moment,” her older sister responded with a cheeky grin. She scanned through her notebook, illuminating it with a dim light emitted from her palm. “Aha! Fahbreek...nation-ell...mit-rel-loose dappuu general…?” she said, utterly mangling the pronunciation.

“And...what good did that serve?”

“It stands for general support machine gun, we use it on our ships, it fires at a rate of 650 to a thousand rounds per minute, and—”

“So it shoots fast,” Vigil snapped, “Can we please get on with this?”

“Fine, fine!” Lightraye said, rolling her eyes. She closed her hand into a fist, the light from her palm extinguishing as she snapped the book close. “Let’s do this shit.”

* * *

Vigil’s smile faded, reminded once again Angie was missing. I’ll find you, Angie.

Her eyes shifted to the guard. He was dozing openly on his seat, head slumped over the black stock of the mounted machine gun. Vigil’s smile returned. “For now,” she whispered under her breath, “let’s do this shit.”

* * *

Vigil saw him through the window. The doctor was at his desk, entirely focused on a book. Slipping in through a window and ducking behind the extravagant couch, she peered at the open door.

Now.

She shut the door in front of her, locking it before looking up to face the doctor. She drew her stun baton. “No sudden movements, doc, or you’ll face...around five hundred milliamperes of electricity.” She depressed the trigger, letting the sharp crackle of electricity emphasise her point.

The doctor looked up from his book. If he was surprised, he didn’t show it. “Ah, the brave vigilante of our great city. It’s an honour to finally meet you.”

“Cut the act, doc.” Vigil resisted the urge to cough. Whatever his office used as an air freshener was awfully sweet. “I know you’re responsible for the trafficking of your product to the Bazaar.”

“Why, Ms. Vigil, I have no idea what you’re talking—”

She felt his intention almost immediately. “Hands off the silent alarm, doctor.” she said. If all else failed, she could always cut her losses and kidnap him. For obvious reasons, that remained a last resort.

“Hmm. Truly remarkable, the mind of a psychic is.” the doctor noted, raising his hands up in surrender. “Some might say having such powers makes one...arrogant.”

He was hiding something. She could feel it. But what? Better to be cautious, she said to herself, watching him very closely as she closed the distance step by step. It became increasingly apparent the scent of the air was an acquired taste, as Vigil found it surprisingly...nice. She took a hesitant breath, and sighed. It was...relaxing.

“I assumed you found the evidence of my involvement, judging from the strange log-ons of long-unused accounts to the company’s network this afternoon.”

“So you knew I was coming. Why not run?”

Ghash shrugged. “Testing the aforementioned theory of mine. You see, you could have simply passed the evidence along to the police, but you chose to risk death and injury and come here yourself.”

She was at his desk, standing opposite the seated doctor. “And you think it has something to do with me being arrogant?”

“Maybe. Maybe not. I think you’re trying to prove something.”

Vigil scoffed. She felt like replying, but...that scent...it felt so much better to listen.

“Oh, don’t look at me like that, Ms. Vigil. You want to prove something...to who, exactly? The police? The public? ...yourself?”

Vigil shook her head. Not from disagreement, but from lethargy. I mean, I disagree...but...ugh... Maybe another consequence of sleeping for three bloody hours.

“Might that be the result of a failure of yours?”

Vigil growled. “I don’t know what you’re—”

“Might it be a certain event that occurred around four months ago, perhaps, when you lost to the Ment—”

“Shut up!” she slammed a gloved fist on the desk, the sound echoing through the quiet night. Her eyes widened at her mistake.

“Uhh, Doctor Ghash? Are you alright in there?” a voice called from the door.

Vigil glared at him.

“No, Matthew, everything’s under control.” he called back, his eyes meeting hers cautiously.

A silence ensued. Why am I letting him dictate the conversation? Her mind was increasingly muddy, increasingly difficult to think.

“I assume you’re going to invade my mind, find out the Bazaar’s secrets, influence me to stop assisting the Pact.”

Vigil let a smile cross her features. “The thought occurred to me, yes. You’re not planning to stop me, are you?” she said.

“On the contrary. I’m interested to see where this goes,” the doctor said, leaning his head forward for better access.

“Me too.” she said, bringing a gloved hand to his unresisting head. Her eyes flashed white, and…

She found herself in the same place. What…?

“Yes, I find that double-A tends to inhibit mutant powers as well.”

“No. That’s impossible. You didn’t—”

“Arrogance as I anticipated, Ms. Vigil. All this while you’ve been breathing in a recent concoction of mine. It’s an aerosol form of double-A.” He smiled.

She felt light-headed. Crud. Drug. Ugh...I...I need to get out of here. She stumbled, falling clumsily on the ground. Get up. Get up!

“It’s not perfect, of course, which is why direct application is always more effective.”

Through blurry eyes she saw him cross over from his side of the desk, holding a familiar-looking syringe in his hands. “No!” she kicked his leg, sending the doctor tumbling to the ground.

She scrambled to her feet, grabbing onto a bookshelf for support as she limped for the window. She heard an undignified snarl from the doctor, and a hand grasp her ankle. Vigil lost her balance, her face pounding into the ground.

Vigil groaned, momentarily stunned as her head rang in pain. Before she could react she felt a foot slam into her stomach. “Argh!” she cried, sharp throbbing pain cutting into her gut. Through blurry vision she saw the man standing before her. She gritted her teeth, throwing a weak kick upwards which he easily dodged and went low, letting his body collapse on hers and knocking the wind out of Vigil’s lungs.

She struggled against his weight, thrashing against his body until she felt a sharp, prickling pain in her neck. Vigil stiffened.