The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Gyges Experiment

Chapter 9

The worst part was that he had done it for her. She had wanted the adventure of it, and he really couldn’t manage to put blame on her. He had resisted for a long time, at least in his estimation, but he did it for her.

The phone woke him up and when he looked at it, his world came crashing down; even before he noticed that Naima was gone.

LISA MARTINEZ

Griffin swiped to connect the call, then froze for a moment before saying hello.

“Griffin. Is that you?” The familiar voice came, making his heart sink. “I’ve been worried about you. I just got a disconnected message the last time I called.”

The last thing he wanted to do was talk about it. “Sorry, having some money issues.” Griffin said, tossing a bundled stack of bills off the empty bed.

“You could have told me.” She chided, but her voice was soft, even nurturing. “Why don’t you stop by the house?”

“I’m not sure I’m up to it right now, Lisa.” He said, pulling on his pants.

“I could come by your place.” She suggested.

Griffin realized that a limited experience with relationships meant a limited capacity to break them off cleanly. “I have some stuff I need to do. Maybe we could meet tomorrow?” The odd thing was that he wanted to meet her. Wanted to see her. Where was that coming from?

“Tomorrow works. Lunch?” She asked. “How about that little Tapas place by your building?”

“What little Tapas place?” He asked.

“Right outside of your building, you big goofball.” Lisa said, almost laughing. The jibe flashed in his head and it was almost as if Naima had said it. He even heard her voice.

“Gotta run, Lisa.” He said, stepping in his unlaced shoes, heading for the door even before the call was finished.

“So, one or so?” She said.

“That works. See you then.” He said, the door to his apartment banging closed as he disconnected the call. That wasn’t too rude, was it? He wondered why he cared as he bounded down the stairs, finally exploding onto the street.

El Molcajete

She was gone. Nitya was gone. The curry place was a Tapas bar. Griffin sat down on the curb, watching the cars pass by. It was as close to crying as he could come. It wasn’t that he had an issue with it out of some misguided sense of machismo; it just didn’t happen.

A car pulled up in front of him, missing his feet by less than six inches. He was about to stand and confront the driver, his sadness turning sharply to projected anger. The window rolled down.

“Get in the car.”

Lydia.

He hesitated as he stared at her. Long sleeved shirt and full jeans. The only hints he could see of the ink covering her body was some tendrils of color creeping out from under the collar of her shirt. He had never seen her wearing anything like it. Why should he go with her? He realized he had been subconsciously putting the blame for his issues on her, but why?

“Grif.” She said, more urgently the second time around.

“Okay.” He said simply, defeated as he opened the passenger side door and slid into the car.

“I never thought I would see you again.” Lydia said as she pulled back into traffic, her eyes on him like a prize. His first thought was the fact that his last thought of her was hoping he wouldn’t ever see her again.

“I don’t know what’s happening, Lydia.” He said, softly.

She snorted. “Now that’s an understatement. First I see you everywhere, then you send me here, wherever the fuck this is.”

Griffin processed, the anger returning. “I didn’t send you here. None of this started happening until you came around.”

Her eyes blazed, mirroring the fire in his own. “You think shit like this happens to me all the time?”

No, probably not, he thought. It was funny in a way. That thought grew stronger and his mind gripped tightly, eager for the change in mood. He could feel the smile start and there was nothing he could do about it.

“What the hell’s so funny?” She said, eyes flicking back and forth between his face and the midday traffic.

Griffin’s smile just grew wider as she fumed on her side of the car. Little by little, the smile chipped away her anger, leaving her exposed. “Asshole.” She said as her own smile grew.

“These powers I seem to have now would be outstanding if I knew how the fuck they worked.” He said, a laugh teasing at his voice.

Lydia did laugh. It wasn’t nervous or tense, it was just a laugh. It made things a little better.

“Yeah, that would be nice. Some instructions or something. Something to help avoid all of this adverse bullshit.”

Griffin’s face paled. The words turned over and over in his mind even as he knew to her eyes he was just staring blankly forward. Her eyes were needed on the road, though, and he let the thought process.

“Adverse reactions.” He said.

“What?”

“Something you just said.” Griffin continued. “Adverse reactions. It’s like fucking medicine, isn’t it?”

Lydia pulled back up against the curb, noticing for the first time that she’d drawn a giant loop around the city, returning to her starting point. “What do you mean?”

“Your shit’s fine, my shit is fine. “Beer then liquor, never sicker.”

Lydia stared at him as she turned the key, the only sound the rush of the other cars passing by. “Don’t mix.” She said, simply.

“I mean, it’s just a thought.”

“A damned good one.” Lydia said. “So what the hell do we do to fix it?”

“Not a clue.” Griffin said. “I think I’m going to need some help figuring this out. I don’t want to risk making it worse.”

“I don’t know what you expect me to do.”

“Nothing.” Griffin said. “Not that I’m insulting you. This is basically an electrical issue.”

“My powers have nothing to do with electricity.” She said.

“Maybe, maybe not. Doesn’t matter. My device, or at least the charge coming off of it can only react in so many different ways. It doesn’t matter what the catalyst is, that can still be an unknown.”

“So?”

“So I might be able to figure out what might happen, at least what’s likely to happen.”

“Okay.” Lydia said, nodding her head in trust. “So what kind of help do you need?”

“Someone who knows a lot about electrical engineering and theory.”

“Well, that’s not me.”

Griffin smiled. “No, I’m having lunch with her tomorrow.”

* * *

He couldn’t help himself. All through the meal he couldn’t keep his eyes from wandering to the back curtain. The stairs would be right there, he thought, the stairs that would take me to her. Lisa had definitely given off the unwanted vibe when he had arrived with Lydia, but the two were actually dominating the conversation. Imagination made it almost as if Naima was standing there, in her familiar surroundings, invisible as he had been the first time they had met. What if she was?

“I’m not sure if you’re serious or just having a go at me.” Lisa said, her eyes flashing to Lydia then back to his. “Even if you’re serious, I don’t know what sort of help I would be.”

“Just another set of eyes, another set of thought processes.” Griffin said, bringing his full attention back to her. He did remember his attraction to her. Deep brown eyes, those soft Latina features that belied her fierceness as well as her incredible body.

“You really are serious, aren’t you?” She said, the realization apparently just hitting her. “So are you going to demonstrate it for me?”

“I don’t think I should do that yet.” Griffin said, shaking his head.

“It will make hypothesizing much easier.”

Griffin wanted to, he really did. Any chance of getting Naima back was welcome, but at what cost? If he knew that specific people were affected by his device, what about the countless other changes and shifts that may also be occurring? Corruption. If his needs and desired outweighed the general good, then Plato was right.

“She has a point.” Lydia said, begrudgingly.

Lisa glanced over at her, then almost pleadingly at Griffin.

“I’d like to see the machine at the very least.” She said, softly. “You can decide from there. It is yours, after all.”

The three packed up and headed over to Griffin’s apartment. The oddness of it all wasn’t lost on him. It wasn’t every day he was bringing two former lovers back up to his personal space, where so few had actually been.

“Save the speech about it being messy.” Lisa said, cutting him short as he unlocked the door.

Griffin smiled. “Yeah, well.”

Lisa led the way, her eyes immediately drawn to his device.

“Looks like a Tesla coil, definitely.” She said, the interest in her voice apparent. She circled it as best as she could, stepping over thick cables and wires in her precariously high heels. Griffin watched her intently, realizing he was hoping for praise from this woman; a woman he both respected and desired. There were more reasons to like her that went far past that incredible physique.

“Okay, now that’s different.” She said, holding a bundle of wires and following the harness to where it disappeared into the chassis. She glanced over at Griffin and smiled. “I would have never thought of that.”

Griffin didn’t know if either woman would recognize the blush. He did manage to keep hush the long exhalation, having realized after her comment that he had been holding his breath in anticipation.

“Though probably because it’s dangerous as hell.” She added. He sank a little bit. She was still looking; her interest still captured.

Lydia had sunk into the couch cushions, leaving the two experts to discuss. She was just waiting for the chance to see the device used again, maybe even to benefit from some of the peculiar side effects that resulted from its use. The older lady was attractive. She had gotten a pretty good impression that their relationship was a little bit more than traditional professor and student. Can’t blame him for that, she thought.

“It’s brash and completely…amazing.” Lisa said, standing back and finally summing up her thoughts. “Now I definitely need to see it turned on.”

“Do you have any ideas?” Griffin asked, almost desperately. “What the hell is it doing?”

“C’mon, Grif.” Lisa said in an unexpectedly excited tone. For a moment, her professional demeanor showed a crack. He liked it. It made him want to smile.

Less than five minutes later, he flicked the switch. The trio were on the couch, his own body taking the lion’s share of the couch with his two companions on either side. A little light, then the sound. A low hum that sank into his ears like drops, numbing him to all other sounds except for the breathing of the two next to him.

“That sound.” Lisa said, her voice smooth and buttery.

“Yeah.” Griffin said, looking over at her, smiling.

“It shouldn’t sound like that.” She said, her voice getting stronger and more like her own. “I mean, I should know what it sounds like, but that’s not it.”

The lights went out.

Griffin lit a lighter, illuminating the room only slightly. “I need to run back downstairs for a minute.”

When he returned from covering his tracks, the apartment was dimly lit with what few candles he had around. Lydia was still on the couch while Lisa was again circling the device.

“You might be able to do the same thing without so much power if you change this coupler.” She said as he closed the door. “So did it work?”

“There’s only one way to find out.”

The trio headed down to the street, Griffin hoping for nothing other than seeing curry instead of tapas. He was disappointed, but he still felt that he had to keep it to himself. The first passer-by clinched it. Lisa stepped almost directly in front of the woman, who was staring straight forward as she walked. At the last minute, the professor stepped aside to avoid the inevitable collision.

“Holy shit.” She said, looking back to Griffin and Lydia. “Okay, I’m convinced, so what now?”

“Figuring how we put things back the way they’re supposed to be.” Lydia said. “If there really is a way things are supposed to be.”

* * *

The rest of the day was spent in an almost round-table discussion between the three. Numerous notebooks with thoughts filling the pages were scattered around the coffee table, all taking a backseat to what they were considering the master document; a single sheet of college-ruled notebook paper with the distillation of all of their work.

“So I think we’ve got at least the one theory.” Lisa said. “And we have to at least give it a shot.”

Lydia picked up the single sheet again as if needing to read it yet again. “It’s pretty much all we’ve got, and it’s weak at that.”

“Well, we try it.” Griffin said, sinking back further into the couch cushions. “You both know what that means, though.”

Lydia laughed. “Like you’re one to complain. You’ve got a built-in partner with Miss Lisa here.” She said, gesturing to the professor. “I’ve got to go out and find someone.”

“What about Malik again?” Lisa suggested.

Lydia sighed. “If I could track him down, that might work. I don’t even have his current number, so I’m going to have to find someone new.”

“That shouldn’t be too hard.” Lisa said, glancing at her companion.

The corner of Lydia’s mouth turned up into the start of a smile. “I’ll take that as a compliment. You’re not so bad yourself. You must have to fight them off.”

“Ha.” Lisa laughd. “Unless I want to pretend my IQ is fifty points lower, it tends to scare them off.”

“I know what you mean.” Lydia said. “If not that, it’s the tattoos.”

“You really don’t know where they come from?” Lisa asked.

“Ain’t that the shit?” Lydia responded, pulling up one of her sleeves to display some of the artwork gracing her perfect body.

“I’d like to see more sometime.” Lisa said, brushing her finger down the other girl’s arm.

Griffin just sat there in amazement. Was Lisa flirting with the tattooed lady? Sure as hell seems like it, he thought.

“Anyway,” Lisa said. “You’re just assuming that I’m going to volunteer to be Grif’s partner tonight.”

Lydia snorted. “As if.”

Lisa laughed. “Ok, you’ve got me there. What time do you think you can be ready?”

Lydia thought about it for a moment. “To be honest, I can probably nail something down by eight or so, no pun intended.”

It was Griffin’s turn to laugh.

“What’s so funny, big guy?” Lydia said, turning to him.

“Just that we’re having this conversation at all. That’s our plan; both of us fucking someone at the same time to do something to the connection between us. It sounds ludicrous.”

“Ludicrous or not, it’s worth a shot and it’s practically all we’ve got. We’ll save modifications to the machine until we test this, then we could always try again after.”

“Can’t get enough, can you?” Lydia joked.

Lisa blushed and flashed a smile. “No comment.”

* * *

It was a little awkward, but it happened. Kind of like planned sex for procreation; a little forced, yet still a good thing.

“Well?” Lisa asked as she lay in Griffin’s arms. “Feel any different?”

“We won’t know. You’re still here and that’s positive, but sometimes afterwards I just wake up alone with no recollection of having gone to bed.”

“Go down and see if it’s there.” Lisa said, running her fingers over his chest.

“I don’t…” Griffin started, but the older professor cut him off.

“I love this, Grif, I really do. I don’t want it to end, but you need to be with her. I’ll be okay.”

Lisa rolled out of the bed and stood, the sunlight perfectly accentuating the full curves of her nude body.

“Hush.” She said before he could respond, picking up her skirt.

Griffin watched her dress and the kiss she left him with felt somehow final. He threw on his clothes, feeling a little like a heel but ready to go down to the street.

There was a knocking at the door at almost the exact moment he was about to open it.

Naima.

“Hey stranger.” She said as his eyes lit on her. “Who was that?”

He noted a little jealousy around the edges of her expression. “Professor Martinez.”

Naima whistled. “Okay, she is hot. I’ll give you that.”

Griffin pulled her into the room and into his arms. “Let’s talk.”

He cared what she thought, and after explaining the last day to her, he sat, almost jumping out of his skin to hear her response.

“So what now?”

It was a little bit of a let-down. “What do you mean, what now?”

“Exactly that.” Naima said. “So you fixed it. What now?”

Griffin realized he hadn’t thought too much about it.

“I don’t really know. Find out why?”

“What will that accomplish?”

Good point, he thought.

“Prevent it from happening again?” He said, tentatively.

“There’s a simple way to do that.” She responded, glancing at the machine.

“There is that.” Griffin said, though the statement started his mind ticking off the possibilities.

“Think on it.” Naima said, brushing his cheek with her hand. “I’m here for the long haul, at least if I have a choice.”

Griffin pulled her tighter into his embrace, feeling for the petite girl almost overwhelming him. “You know I love you, right?”

“I pretty much have that figured out, Grif.” She said, kissing him gently. “Hopefully you’ve got my feelings figured out too.”