The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Business As Usual

By WishfulThinking

Part Six

Wednesday morning, I woke to the sound of rain spattering against my bedroom window. I looked out to see how bad the storm was; not that it mattered. I knew I had given myself the order to go for a run in the morning before work, so whether it was raining or not, I knew I was going out in it. Oddly, I hadn’t considered what the weather was going to be like when I recorded my commands, and I thought about going in and reprogramming myself. Too late; I found myself in shorts and sneakers, going out into the downpour. The rain was cool, refreshing, and I trotted five times around the park at the end of the block. I came back to my apartment at exactly six-thirty, just as I had dictated in my tape, and got ready for work. I went out to my car and got in. There in the back seat was the gym bag that I’d instructed myself to pack and put there; I reached in and got the orange juice and granola bars out, breakfasting as I drove. I got in early again, and started in. I broke for some coffee a little after nine, when I started hearing people coming in. I walked down to the break room to find Mike MacDonnell putting his lunch in the refrigerator. He turned and smiled at me.

“Mornin’, Rodgers.” Mike called all the guys by their last names. “Terrific rainstorm, huh?”

“Yeah, I went out jogging this morning in it. Felt great.” I poured myself a cup of coffee.

“What do you think of that? Me, too. I don’t know why, but the last couple days I’ve been thinking a lot about my football days. Must be my mid-life crisis comin’ on. I want to see if I can get back in fightin’ shape again, it’d give Kathy a thrill.” He smiled a little ruefully. “Just hope I’m not too late to start.”

“Never too late. You want to get in shape, you ought to cut out smoking, too.”

“Haven’t had one since Monday. Bought a pack today, but I haven’t opened it.” He pulled the box out of his jacket pocket, held it up.

“That’s terrific, Mike.” I walked over to where he stood, still holding up the cigarettes, eyes closed. I took the pack and put it in my pocket. “Mike, you don’t smoke. Remember that. Whenever anyone asks you about it, you don’t smoke. You’ll never smoke. You’ll never buy cigarettes again, because you don’t smoke. Do you understand?”

“Don’...smoke. Nev’r...smoke. Never buy...cig’rettes. Don’ smoke,” he repeated dully.

“That’s right, Mike. And you’re going to get back into shape, because you really want to. Remember how great it was, back in your football days, when you were in top condition. When I snap my fingers, you’ll wake up feeling great.” I stepped back to where I had stood when Mike went to sleep, and clicked my thumb and forefinger together. Mike’s eyes slowly focused on his now-empty hand, still upraised. He lowered it, a little confusedly. I patted my pockets, then looked at him. “Uh, you gotta smoke I can bum?” He stared at me for a second.

“I don’t smoke.”

“That’s right, you don’t,” I smiled. Gloria, the receptionist, appeared in the doorway.

“Oh, there you are, Mr. MacDonnell. Mr. Griffith is here to see you.” He walked to the door.

“See you around, Rodgers.” I walked back down to my office. Vince Barnett was waiting at the door.

“Dere ya are. Listen, Barry, dat VanCor bill still ain’t gone t’rough. They sent me up here again ta see what da holdup is.” I looked at him with some surprise. The little pot belly he’d been sporting on Monday seemed to be gone. He shrugged, mistaking my expression for disbelief about the bill. “I know, I know, I watched Jay put it in da system. But now it ain’t dere, and VanCor calt dis morning, pisst as all hell.”

“Well, come on in, let’s see what happened.” I unlocked the door and he followed me inside. I wanted to find out what he’d done with his gut, but Vince was definitely not the kind you asked that kind of a question, not unless you wanted to swallow a few of your own teeth. I decided to just look for myself. I heard the door click shut behind us as I walked to my desk. “Teddy bear.” I turned; Vince stood, balanced in midstride, one foot still in the air. “Vince, open your eyes. I want you to stand at attention. Put your shoulders back, chin out, arms at your sides.” I knew that he’d been in the service, four years in the Navy. He stiffened to a stance that would have made his commanding officer proud. “Vince, you are at attention. You’re not to move a muscle until I order you to. You are a statue, carved from stone. You only hear my orders. You don’t think, you don’t feel, you don’t see, you are at attention.” I reached down and unbuckled his belt, unbuttoned his jeans. I slid them down to his knees, revealing his sturdy, hairy upper legs. He had a good, honest, earthy musk about him; I unbuttoned his work shirt, tucked it back under his rigid arms, and pulled upward on his undershirt. Vince had lost his beer gut, just as I had told him to, and in the most direct way possible; he was wearing a girdle! I regarded him as he stood solidly, eyes fixed straight ahead. Vince, I thought, if anybody else found out about that, you’d never live it down. I tried to peel the girdle off, then realized that in order to remove it, I would have to virtually strip his lower body. I decided it would be quicker to just cut it free. Taking a pair of scissors, I slit the rubbery fabric down the outside of his thighs, and it dropped from between his furry legs to the carpet. I pulled his undershirt back down, tucked it into his briefs, then pulled his jeans back up, tucked in his shirt, and rebuckled his belt. “You are no longer a statue, no longer an iron bar. Vince, you’re going to keep your stomach sucked in, just like it is now, just as if you were still wearing your girdle. Real men don’t wear girdles. Suck it in, Vince, and start working on getting a real cinderblock six-pack set of abs, that’s an order. Do you read me?” His arm snapped up in a crisp salute.

“Aye, SIR!” He held the salute, waiting. Oh. I returned it, and his arm flashed back down to his side. “At ease.” He spread his legs shoulder-width apart, clasped his hands behind his back. I thought how handsome he must have looked, clean-shaven and in a uniform. Even now, he was pretty cute. “Close your eyes, Vince, drift deeper and deeper into a trance. You won’t remember being hypnotized, but you will remember your orders, Vince. Hold that gut in, and work on those abs. When I count to three, you will wake up, feeling absolutely wonderful.” I picked the garment from the carpet as I spoke, putting it in the wastebasket. I reached around Vince, pulling his arms back to his sides. I sat down and counted to three. Vince’s eyelids raised.

“Here, Jay gimme da ‘rigin’l ta show ya.” He dug into his pocket, produced a crumpled sheet of paper. He stood next to me as he spread it on the desk, smoothing it flat. I could see his stomach was firmly flattened, just as if he were still wearing his undergear. I typed in the order number; they were right, it wasn’t there. I squinted at the wrinkled form.

“Is that fifth digit a seven, or a nine, or a four? And I thought that second letter was an ell, but it could be a vee.”

“Looks like a ell ta me.” I tried all the different possibilities, and hit the jackpot with nine and ell. I rewrote the number clearly above the figure already printed. “Hey, dat’s great. Thanks, Barry. Knew ya’d fine it.” He patted me on the back. He walked to the door, remembered, and came back for the rumpled chit. He stuffed it back into his pocket.

“I’ll call VanCor, and let them know. Tell Jay he has to write those O.I.D.’s out clearly.” Vince turned, came to attention, and saluted smartly. He relaxed, a little lost. He frowned at his hand.

“Huh. Ain’t dat...fer a secint dere, ya sounded just like my ol’ lootenit.” He smiled, a little oddly. “Da sonofabitch. I ain’t t’ought o’ him in years.” I chuckled lightly.

“Must be my natural sonofabitch leadership qualities. Carry on, Admiral Barnett.” I swung my hand up in a salute. Laughing, he returned the gesture, and walked out. I turned back to my desk, but before I could even pick up my coffee cup, there was another knock on my door. I opened it and found Adam standing there.

“Morning, Barry. How you doing today?”

“Okay, I guess. A little sore, but otherwise...” I lied. Despite the outrages I had subjected them to, my muscles felt okay; that, too had been part of my taped instructions. I had never liked the smell of Ben-Gay, and hypnosis seemed to be proving an effective alternative.

“Good. You know, you really had me worried there, passing out like that. Maybe we shouldn’t do anything more until your doctor has a look at you.” I waved a hand.

“My doctor was the reason I asked you to help me get in shape. I saw him last month, and he recommended I start doing some exercise.” He eyed me narrowly. “Honest. You want me to get a note from him?” He chuckled, patted me on the shoulder.

“That’s okay. I just want to be sure you don’t have a coronary and keel over on me. That kinda thing really breaks the rhythm of my workout.”

“Your concern for my health is really touching, pal. I may bust out crying.”

“So, you ready to go at it again tonight?”

“Try and stop me! Unless you’re going to chicken out.” I gave him a challenging look. He looked back at me in mock dismay.

“I’ve created a monster. Tell you what, let’s try and sneak out at four, so there’s still the evening free afterward, okay?”

“Hot date tonight, studpup? Lemme guess. The blonde from Shook’s last night, the one that kept poking you ‘by accident’ with her pool cue.”

“Come on, you know I don’t go in for the brassy kind. I like ‘em dark and subtle. She was really flirting with Tony, anyhow.”

“You poor, handsome bastard. I know how it is. Don’t you hate being used like a piece of meat?” He shot me a grin.

“It’s hell. I got a brain, but nobody notices it under all these good looks and awesome muscles. I’m not just another pretty face, y’know.”

“Speaking of ‘just another pretty face’, where is Tony? I thought you two worked as a team.”

“Actually, I thought he might be in here. We’re supposed to be going to lunch.” I looked at my watch.

“It’s only ten o’clock! Nice to see you don’t clutter up your schedule with work.” Another knock on the door; as I expected, it was Tony. Adam opened the door, and he stepped inside.

“There you are, Adam. Mornin’, Barry. Hey, how you feeling? Adam was pretty worried about you,” he said, sliding up to sit on the worktable.

“I’ll survive. I’m tougher than I look, remember?” Adam patted me on the shoulder.

“You keep on thinking that, shmoo. Because I’m going to make you beg for mercy.”

“That so? We’ll see, Sarge.” Tony chuckled.

“That’s the spirit, Barry. When Adam carries your limp, worn-out ass upstairs tonight, you spit in his eye.” I smirked over at him.

“Who knows? I may just have to carry both of you upstairs this time. One over each shoulder.” We all laughed at that. I stood, put an arm around Adam’s waist. “Here, lemme just heft you, so I can see how far I can get you before my legs break.” He pushed me lightly away.

“Look who’s talking. You aren’t exactly portable, either. Maybe we could rent a wheelchair for you to collapse in.”

“You know, I guess I didn’t thank you for taking care of me like that. I really am grateful.”

“Well, we couldn’t just leave you lying there in the weight room. The management has strict rules about disposing of dead bodies. Besides, who would we have to torment here at the office? Right, Tony?” Tony slid off the table and came over to us.

“Yeah, I mean, where else could we find somebody so boring and predictable that he makes us look exciting and spontaneous by comparison? Then, of course, your repulsiveness makes us look so much more handsome, and...” he dissolved into laughter, which Adam joined into. I nodded slowly.

“All right, Apollo and Adonis. Maybe you two could just leave this mere mortal to the squalor of his humdrum little life, and shed your blessings on another more worthy.” Adam, still chuckling, poked Tony in the ribs.

“You want to take him with us to lunch? He could drive again, and we’d stay drier. Weatherman said this rain’s gonna stay around till tomorrow.” Tony nodded, put a hand on my shoulder.

“How about it, Humdrum? You can sit with us, but only if you put a bag over the bag over your head.”

“But then nobody could see how glorious you both are by comparison.”

“True. Okay, no bag, we’ll just go someplace that’s badly lit, and face you to a wall, so you don’t scare anyone.”

“That sounds like fun. Okay, but you’ll have to wait until at least noon before we go. The Elephant Man has work to do until then.” Adam moved to the door.

“Eleven thirty, we’ll be back here. If you’re not ready, we’ll make your life hell.”

“That’ll be a nice change.” Adam smirked at me.

“Hah-hah-ha. Come on, Apollo.” Tony shook his head.

“No, I’m Adonis. You’re Apollo.”

“And you’re both obnoxious! OUT!” I put a hand on each of their backs and pushed them through the doorway. “Go polish some thunderbolts or something!” I could hear their laughter as the door shut behind them. I got productive; my trance tape from last night had included some suggestions about increasing my efficiency, and I tore through my inbox at a speed that amazed me. At eleven twenty-five, Tony and Adam appeared in my doorway. Adam made a sweeping gesture with both arms as he spoke in a deep, resonantly theatrical voice.

“Rise, mortal, and follow. We come to elevate thee from thy pitiful squalor. Bear us in thy chariot to the portals of Gray’s Bar and Grill!” I groaned, and tried my best ‘Biblical epic’ voice.

“Alas, eternal ones! Not Gray’s greaseburgers! Thou eatest healthier food than that! How canst thou maintain such divine physiques eating crap?” Tony made a similar gesture to Adam’s, and spoke in a comparable rich tone.

“Silence, wretched one! Question not our wisdom. Greaseburgers are the nectar of the gods!” He joined in Adam’s laughter. In his normal voice, he continued. “Okay, where do you want to go? We gods aren’t fussy, and it’s your chariot.” I considered as they came in, Tony jumping up to his usual spot on the worktable, Adam pulling out the chair and sitting backward in it, resting his big arms on the back.

“How about that Italian place over on Crewe? I was there Monday, they have good food.” Adam shook his head.

“Pasta? No wonder you’re in such bad shape.”

“Well, they have steaks there, too. All kinds of stuff. You’ll like it.” Adam nodded reluctantly.

“Okay, but from here on, I’m putting you on a diet. If I’m going to be your personal trainer, you’ll eat what and when I tell you to.” Tony was smirking at me.

“You should have just kept your mouth shut and gone for Gray’s, Barry. You thought the exercise was tough? Adam here put the ‘die’ in diet.”

“C’mon, it’s not that bad. And once you’re in shape, you can eat whatever you want again.” Adam rose from the chair. “Come on. Italian it is.” We walked to the front doors.

“You wait here, I’ll bring my car around.” I walked out into a light, needle-fine rain, and crossed the lot to my parking space. I moved my gym bag into the front seat, since I figured they’d be sharing the back again; I idled around to the doors as the two came outside and got in the back seat. I pulled out into traffic, pretending again not to notice how close together the two of them were sitting, just what Tony’s hand was doing as they both looked nonchalantly everywhere but at each other. Tony cleared his throat.

“Well, come on, Adam. You gonna ask him?” Adam looked a little sheepish, and swatted Tony’s shoulder.

“Okay, I figured it could wait until after lunch.” I glanced at them in the rearview mirror.

“Ask me what?” They were both getting red-faced.

“Uh, Barry. We...Tony and I...your place is...is really kind of...”

“What he means is...we were thinking...you might want to...move over to the good side of the tracks.” I shrugged noncomittally.

“Move where?” They both began talking almost at the same time.

“Well,” began Adam, “There’s...I’m going to...to be moving...”

“We’re going to room together for awhile. See, it’d be cheaper for both of us...”

“I mean, we’re practically...living together now, so...”

“You’d just take the rest of the lease, until September, then if you like the place...”

“And...we’d be glad to help you move your stuff...” We were stopped at a red light, and I turned in my seat and regarded the two. They looked like they’d just been caught with a hand in the cookie jar. I hadn’t really ever seen anyone blushing ‘furiously’ until now. The light changed, and I drove on.

“You two sure about this? I mean, living in the same building isn’t the same as sharing an apartment. And I don’t know if the female population of this city can stand such a concentration of male virility in one place like that. Why, the wear and tear on the carpeting from the idolizing women swooning would...” I could see in their eyes what they wanted to say. “Uh, guys, is...is there something else you’d like to tell me? I mean, your building isn’t full of devil-worshippers, who need to sacrifice homely, out-of-shape office workers to their dark lord?” If it were possible, they both turned redder. I was turning into the restaurant’s parking lot. I pulled into a parking space. They looked at each other, then Adam looked at his hands.

“He’s gotta know sometime.” Tony put a hand on my shoulder.

“You have to promise, swear you won’t tell anyone.” I decided to drop the bomb first.

“If it’s about your being gay, I already know, guys.” I had to bite my lip hard to keep from laughing at their expressions. They eyed each other, Adam a little angrily, Tony with absolute panic.

“Adam, I swear I never said anything. You know I...”

“That’s great. Just great. Who else did you...”

“Guys, guys, HEY!” They both stopped and looked at me.

“You...how...”

“You knew? That’s impossible.”

“We didn’t even know.” I stared at them, smiling gently. I couldn’t hold my laughter any more.

“Don’t be stupid. You’ve always known, you just didn’t know about each other. I promise, I swear, I won’t tell anyone. I think it’s great that you two finally admitted it to yourselves and each other. You were both so lonely for so long. I wish you both every happiness.” I could see the emotion in both their faces. “And I’d be happy to take your apartment, Adam. If you’re both sure about this.” They nodded in unison, beaming. “And I’m going to hold you to helping me move my stuff.”

“Y’know, yesterday I said you were one in a million, Barry. Guess I need to look that number over again, because there isn’t anybody like you.” Adam leaned forward and brushed his lips lightly on my cheek.

“Adam, don’t ever do that outside an Italian restaurant,” Tony laughed. " Didn’t you see ‘The Godfather’? C’mon, I’m hungry. Let’s talk about this over some chianti.” We got out of the car, and I locked up and followed them inside. I could hear Adam making a terrible attempt at a Marlon Brando impersonation as I caught up with them at the door.

“What? What? I mean, we made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.” Tony shook his head, smiling.

“You are the ‘Kiss of Death’, aren’t you?”

“Huh? Whaddaya mean? I’m a great kisser, you son of a bitch.”

“No, I don’t mean...you...you really never saw ‘The Godfather’, did you?”

“Well, I think I read the version they had in ‘Mad’ magazine, but that was a long time ago. Table for three, nonsmoking,” Adam smiled at the hostess, who gestured us into the dining room. Tony stood for a moment, staring after Adam.

“Crap. What have I gotten myself into?” I chuckled.

“Don’t worry, Tony. You and all your cologne bottles can always stay at my place when you can’t stand it anymore.” Tony shook his head.

“No way, it’s my apartment. He can stay at your place, with all his ‘Mad’ magazines.”

“Crap. What have I gotten myself into?” I whistled a few bars of the theme from ‘The Odd Couple’, and Tony laughed and joined in as we walked to our table.

We hashed out most of the details over lunch; Adam was going to have a lot of extra furniture to get rid of, but most of it was secondhand from friends, anyway. His ex-wives had gotten all the good stuff, apparently. And since I was going to have another room, I could put most of his things in there for the time being. Tony called the landlord from his cell phone, and he was fine with the arrangement, so we settled on Monday afternoon for signing papers. My lease was up at the end of the month anyway, and the rent at their building was only a little more than I had been paying. Tony’s brother had a van we could use to move my belongings; everything was worked out before the waitress brought the dessert cart. Adam refused to let me have the chocolate on chocolate cake, but had an enormous piece for himself, with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Tony passed on dessert, and I was allowed a small dish of spumoni. The two of them pretended to fight over who was going to pay the bill, each insisting it was the other’s turn. They ignored my offer to pay, or at least go Dutch. We dawdled a little over coffee, then headed back to work. As we drove back, Adam spoke up again.

“You sure it doesn’t...bother you? I mean...I mean Tony and me being...being together?”

“I think it’s great. Besides, what difference does it make what I think? It’s up to you two, it isn’t anybody else’s business, is it? It’s what makes you happy that counts.”

“You’re absolutely right, Barry. You know, I went down the aisle twice with women I wasn’t really in love with. I figured, maybe that was what it took to be straight. To make that commitment. I stood in front of a priest and lied to his face, lied to God, because it seemed to make everybody else so happy; our folks, our friends, her, everyone but me.” I could hear the bitterness in his voice. “Two divorces and some hellacious alimony payments later, I’m finding out how wrong I was. Guess it could have been worse, at least I didn’t have any kids.”

“Don’t think about that, buddy. You have somebody right there beside you that I know will make you happy. You don’t need to worry about making anybody else happy; if you’re happy, the rest of it just falls into place, you’ll see.”

“Barry’s right, Adam,” Tony said quietly. “You’ll see, I’m gonna make you forget all about that. There won’t be anything we can’t face together. And I hope I can make you as happy as you’ve made me.” I looked into the rearview mirror, but I couldn’t see either of them. I shot a glance behind me; they were lying on the back seat, Tony on top, sharing a kiss so hot that I could feel it.

“Hey guys, break it up. We’re here. Unless you want the whole office to know about you two?” They held out for just another moment, then sat up. Adam and I opened the doors and got out, but Tony stayed where he was, with his eyes closed, taking deep breaths. Adam poked his head back into the car.

“You okay, Tone?” Tony nodded, sucking in air through his nose, exhaling sharply from his mouth.

“Just this Eyetalian wang of mine. Gotta let it settle a bit.” Adam’s chuckle turned into a laugh. He sat back down in the car next to Tony.

“Yeah? Tell me, does it help when I do this?” He ran a hand down the inside of Tony’s thigh. Tony groaned and slapped his hand.

“Will you cut it out? It’s not funny! I can’t walk inside like this!” The bulge at his crotch was very noticeable.

“Well, think about...about Barry in a dress. If that don’t ruin the mood, nothing will.”

“HEY! I wore a dress on Halloween when I was in the fifth grade, and I looked damn good in it.” I tried to glare at Adam, but his laugh was infectious, and soon all three of us were giggling helplessly. " Of course, I accessorized properly, too...just a little blush, and...some lipstick...” I mimed applying makeup. “I feel pretty, oh so pretty...” Tony leaned against Adam, laughing.

“Hey, what do you...what do you know? That did it,” chuckled Tony, wiping his eyes. He opened the car door and stood up. “Thanks, Barry.”

“That’s another one you owe me. Come on, I’m getting soaked.” I locked the car and we started walking across the lot. The rain began to come down more heavily as we reached the doors, and we ducked inside as a peal of thunder rolled nearby. “How bad is this supposed to get? Maybe I should drive you guys home tonight.” Adam made a derisive noise.

“Hey, we can handle a little rain. Whaddaya think we are, sissies?”

“Okay, then, you rugged he-men; I’ll see you at four. I brought my stuff this time, even my own water bottle.” Tony grinned.

“Good thing, too. I’m down to my last pair of clean sweat socks.” I gave a quick, panicked glance at Adam, who looked back at me curiously. “But it’s gonna take more than a water bottle, Pop-n-fresh.” Tony poked a finger at my stomach. “See you at four.” He went off to his office, Adam walking next to him. As they rounded the corner into the hallway, I caught Adam’s glance again. He still had that curious look as he met my gaze, then they were gone. I went down to my office with an uneasy feeling. Sure enough, about an hour later, a firm knock came on my door. It was Adam.

“Barry, I’ve been trying to remember something. It’s about Monday. I know we had a lot to drink, but I’ve never blacked out in my life until Monday. And what I do remember doesn’t make a lot of sense. It’s almost like I was dreaming, but I don’t have dreams like those. Maybe I have fantasies like that, but...Tony was doing a striptease, and I was a doctor, examining him. Then...and like, I don’t remember getting dressed or showering or shaving; I just remember waking up sitting on your couch, and Tony was sitting there too. And we were both dressed, and...Barry, what really happened Monday? And don’t give me crap about being too drunk, I know how much booze I can hold, and believe me, what we had wasn’t anywhere near my limit. And just now, when Tony said that about only having one pair of sweat socks left, I saw the way you looked at me. You were scared. What the hell’s going on?” He’d backed me across the office; my legs stopped against my swivel chair, and I sat down hard, Adam looming over me. Well, I had to give him credit; I had always thought he was just a big dumb guy! “What would scare you about his last pair of socks, Barry?” I looked him right in the face.

“Sweat socks.” Adam’s eyes closed, and his face smoothed to blank relaxation. “Adam, listen to me. I don’t want you to worry yourself about Monday night. We all had a good time, and you found out your best friend wanted to be your lover. All the rest of what you remember, that was just a dream you had. Only a dream. And just now, I didn’t look scared when I looked at you. I smiled. You remember that I smiled. Have you talked about any of this with Tony?”

“N...no.”

“Good. There’s no need to. Everything’s fine, Adam, just fine. Now open your eyes. When you walk out of this office, you’ll wake up feeling absolutely wonderful, because everything is just fine. You won’t remember being hypnotized. You’re in love, and it’s a wonderful world. Don’t worry about Monday anymore.” I stood on tiptoe and kissed him on the cheek. “Now go back to your office, and I’ll see you at four.” He turned and lumbered to the door. As he opened it and stepped through, I could see him inhale sharply, his shoulders squaring. The door shut behind him.