The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows VI: Blinded By The Light

by J. Darksong

Ch. 4: Falling Out Of Darkness

“Have you heard anything about this movie?” I asked Jess as we slowly moved forward in line to pick up our tickets for Catching Fire. “Any good reviews?” She shrugged.

“Tracy and Megan said they liked it, okay, but well, you know what their criteria for a ‘good movie’ consists of.”

I chuckled. “Hot muscularly boded guys, and lots of action and ‘jumpy parts’. It’s not exactly ‘The Lord of the Rings’ or anything, but if it stays fairly close to the book like The Hunger Games did, I’ll be happy enough. Besides, Jennifer Lawrence is pretty damn hot " I replied, leaning forward to give my lover a delicate kiss on the lips. “Not as hot as you, of course,” I added sweetly.

“OH MY FREAKING GAWD!”

An annoying, and sickeningly familiar voice squealed from just behind me. Whirling around, I confirmed my worst fears. Standing there, holding a small bag of popcorn and a package of Raisinettes was Whitney Meyers. Ah, shit… Of all the people to run into, and all the places and times to run into her...

“Um, uh, hey ,Whitney,” I began, stammering slightly. “What, er, what are you, um, doing here?”

Her shocked expression morphed almost instantaneously into her normal look of disdain. “It’s a movie theater, Einstein. What the FUCK do you think I’m doing here?” She rolled her eyes, sneering. “I guess a better question would be to ask is what you and DuMont are doing here, but that little’ lezzy lip lock’ just now explained that well enough! Gawd! I always thought you two were ‘close’ all through junior high and high school!”

“But... but we were just friends all through school!” I protested, sounding entirely too whiny, even to myself.

“Never mind, Katie,” Jess growled, pulling me aside, and glaring at Whitney. “It’s none of her business anyway. So, what ARE you doing here, Whitney? I don’t see Casey, Shani, or Val here with you, and we all know you’re nothing without your clique.”

The two of them glared at each other for several tense seconds before I slid myself between them. “Jess, it’s okay. It doesn’t matter, just let it go. We don’t want all the good seats to be taken.” To Whitney, I forced a small smile. “Whitney, it was nice seeing you again. We’ll have to catch up again sometime soon.”

“Huh. As if,” Whitney scoffed under her breath, as we turned to leave. “Like I’d want to spend time alone with a couple of horny dykes...”

Which, unfortunately, was loud enough for Jess to overhear. “As if we’d want to spend time with you either, skank!” she bristled. “Just because I happen to like women doesn’t mean I don’t have standards!” Her eyes narrowed. “You know, I’ve been wanting to say this ever since we got back from Florida. Whitney, you are a self-absorbed, self-righteous, self-important little BITCH!”

Her blue-green eyes widened in shock. “How dare you call me a bitch!” she hissed, stepping back towards Jessica, murder in her eyes. “I ought to slap the shit out of—”

“Sit, Bitchy!” Jessica barked out suddenly. Instantly, Whitney dropped down to her haunches, dropping her food onto the floor, staring up at Jess in a slightly vapid expression in her face. Although Eva had removed the memories of what had occurred in Florida from the other girls, the rather powerful programming they’d gone through had left a few traces behind. Apparently Whitney still reacted to her ‘pet name’ just as much as I still did. “Good girl, Bitchy,” Jessica said with relish, purposely using Whitney’s trigger again. “Now, beg.” Whitney raised her arms, tilting up chin and raised her eyes, her lip stuck out in a sexy pout. “Now, Bitchy... speak!“

“Arf! Arf! Arf!” Whitney said loudly, getting giggles and chuckles from the small crowd of people watching the spectacle. Whitney sat there, smiling for a moment more, before blinking rapidly. “Oh... oh my God... what am I... why did I?” Face red, she stood up and ran for the exit. I just sighed softly, and shook my head.

“That was mean, Jess,” I said, as we made our way into the theater. “You humiliated her in full view of the public.” She half-shrugged in response.

“Nothing she hasn’t done herself to other people,” Jessica pointed out. “Including you, baby. Anyway, let’s just let the matter drop for now. The movie’s about to start. And frankly, I’m anxious to see if this chapter of trilogy is as badass at the previous one...”

* * *

Okay, so the movie wasn’t the best thing I’d ever seen, but I really liked it. It was a bit upsetting, all the death and violence… not exactly to my personal tastes, but the story was good, and the special effects sound. It definitely kept my attention the entire time, even though, having read the books, I knew how it was going to end. It was definitely a nice way to waste a few hours.

“So, what d’ya think?” Jess asked as we made our way out onto the street. “Rent? Or own?”

“Um... rent.” I said after a moment. “Definitely, rent. I’d probably watch it again, yanno, but not regularly enough to warrant buying it. " I paused, frowning. “Hey. Do you... do you smell that?”

Jessica stopped and glanced around, sniffing. “Yeah. I do. Ugh. Smells kind of like burning tires or something...” She pointed. “Up there. Look. That apartment building a few blocks down... it’s on fire.”

“Ah, hell,” I murmured taking off running down the street, Jessica following closely behind me. Just as she’d said, an apartment building was on fire. More than half the building was engulfed, and people were running out of the front entrance, more than half of them coughing and gasping for breath from the smoke. “Damn. Has anyone called the fire department?” I asked anxiously, glancing around.

“Yeah,” one of the residents, an old man in a tweed jacket managed. “We called... but they said... gonna be... another ten minutes...”

Well, shit. I glanced at Jessica, who merely sighed, rolling her eyes. “I’m sorry, baby. I gotta see if there’s something I can do. There might still be people trapped in there.”

Jess merely nodded. “I know. Can’t say I’m happy about it, but, well... as you said, it’s what you do.” She tapped me lightly on the shoulder squeezing it gently. “Just… be safe, okay? And don’t forget we’re having dinner at your mom’s tonight at seven, so don’t stay too late.”

Nodding, I leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss, then dashed off to a small service way in the alleyway adjacent to the building. Glancing around, making sure I was alone I closed my eyes and focused. My clothing dematerialized in a brief flash of light, leaving me momentarily naked. Another focused thought, another brief flash of light, and Katie Frasier had been replaced by Luminaire, the Light of Justice. I’d just begun channeling my light, just started to lift off the ground, when Whitney’s high pitched nasally voice sounded out from my right side.

“OH MY FREAKING GAWD!” she screamed, coming around the corner and stepping into view. “I don’t believe it,” she said, gawking at me. “You’re... you’re Luminaire! You’re really her! Katie Frasier... is really the Light of Justice! Ohmigawd! I can’t wait to tell Casey and Shani about this!”

Just perfect. I did not need this right now. “Whitney, please,” I said calmly, dropping back down to the ground. “I don’t have time for this right now. There’s a building on fire over there, and I need to see if I can help. We can talk about all this later, alright?”

“I just can’t believe this,” she said, almost as if to herself. “I mean, this explains so much! The reason you NEVER wanted to hang out with the rest of us after class, and why, when you did, you were always leaving early.” She looked at me. “And, also, why you, um, I mean, Katie... why she was always such a wimpy passive little goody-goody all the time!”

I frowned, crossing my arms. “Excuse me? What do you mean by that?”

“It’s so obvious!” she said, grinning. “It’s all part of your ‘secret identity’ cover! Anyone that knows you would NEVER suspect a wimpy little push-over like Katie Frasier of being a super hero!”

I so wanted to blast her into the middle of next week... but I held back. “Whitney... we’ll talk about this later, okay? I have to go for now. But please... you can’t tell anyone about this. And I mean ANYONE.” I scowled at her, powering up, as much for show as to prepare for dealing with the fire. “It’s called a secret identity for a reason, you know. We take that kind of thing VERY seriously.“

She swallowed, nodding. “Y-yeah. Okay. Sure. Anything you say, Katie.”

“It’s ‘Luminaire’ right now,” I said archly, lifting into the air.

From high up in the air I could see the building, the crowds, the entire block. Fire engines were coming, but were still at least five minutes out. I’ll be honest; I wasn’t enthusiastic about going into a burning building. I could create and manipulate light energy, give it solid substance, or focus it into laser like blasts. None of those abilities made me fireproof.

Of course, I was wearing this nice nifty Neuroweve costume my dad created for me. Bulletproof, knife-proof, nearly indestructible, it also happened to be fire proof. Or so my dad claimed, anyway. Jimmy had recently tested that claim, going up against a flame wielding femme fatale under the control a big time crime boss. He’d come through the incident somewhat singed and sore, but otherwise okay. Of course, Jimmy was a heck of a lot more durable than I am. As much as faith as I had in my dad’s inventions, I was still a bit scared of walking into this giant oven.

And then a female scream coming from the top floor of the building rendered the entire matter moot.

Dammit! I cursed inwardly, firing a light blast at the roof, dropping down through the hole. A wave of heat and smoke enveloped me, and only once I was inside did I have time to think that this was a REALLY bad idea. “Hello? Where are you?” I yelled out, covering my face a bit with my cape, trying to keep from inhaling too much smoke. “I’m here to help, just let me know where you are!“

“Here! Please, help me!” the female voice cried out again, from somewhere to my right. Damn. Right where all the fire is, naturally. A carefully placed blast cleared the area of debris, and, taking a deep breath and covering my head, I leapt into the fire.

Hot! HOT! Goddamn it was FUCKING hot! Like walking through the Mohave desert in a parka and full arctic gear. But... it was bearable. I wasn’t burning. Kind of like slipping into a really hot shower that stings at first really bad until you adjust to the heat. So, yeah, like that. A moment of heat... and I was through, gasping, panting, sweating, but alive and well.

“Over here! Please!” a young dark haired woman called out from the nearby corner, huddling down in fear. As I started towards her, the tell-tale sounds of wood creaking came from the floor beneath us. I quickly surrounded her with a light cocoon, lifting her up just as the floor caved beneath us. She screamed, and, frankly, so did I. Holding her aloft with one hand, I used my free hand to blast away the side of the building closest to us, and out we flew, just before the flames overcame us...

* * *

“Are you okay?” a paramedic asked the woman I’d rescued. She was taking deep breaths of oxygen from the mask he had over her face. I’d spent a few minutes taking in some fresh O2 as well, recovering after all the smoke. The woman nodded, still breathing in deeply. The paramedic checked her vitals a few times, then nodded.“Okay, you’re good.”

I sighed softly. After dropping off the young woman, I’d slipped back into the building, checking to see if there was anyone else trapped inside. I managed to rescue two more people trapped inside, and got them out, but by then, the fire department had arrived, and the professionals took over search and rescue. Which was good, because after the last time I was drained down to the bone! Ughn. Forget battling it out with supervillians, or training in the gym. If you really want a work out, trying skirting around in a thousand degree burning building, hauling around unconscious people as dead weight!

I always wondered why the firefighters on those films and documentaries were always so buff. Now I knew.

“That was amazing,” Whitney said from beside me, shaking her head in wonder. “The way you just... dove in there and pulled those people to safety—I mean, it’s a freaking burning building for gosh sakes! You don’t get any braver than that.” She looked at me strangely for a moment, then sighed. “I guess I really owe you an apology, Katie. You’re not a wimp at all.”

“Er, thanks, Whit,” I replied ruefully. Somehow, even a compliment from her seemed like an insult. “And, it’s Luminaire. You can’t use my real name when I’m out in public in uniform like this, okay?” I sighed, then coughed, still a bit weak from too much smoke. “Listen, Whitney, I have some place I need to go... but I’d like to talk to you more about all of this soon, okay? The two of us... we’ve never really been good friends... but, well, it’d be nice to... kind of clear the air between us, yanno?“

“Sorry, Luminaire,” a female EMT said, grabbing my arm. “That cough sounds kind of bad. I’d really like you to ride back to the hospital with the others so we can have you checked out.”

“I’m fine, really,” I said, coughing again. “Really! I just need a chance to catch my breath, that’s all. And I really need to run. I have a dinner date—”

“Sorry, hero,” the woman replied with a slight head shake., “but I really must insist. You’re a registered and licensed member of River City Law Enforcement, and as such, you have to be checked out at the hospital before I can let you go.” She shrugged apologetically. “Rules and regulations, you know. Even though you feel okay now, you could suddenly pass out later from carbon monoxide poisoning... and it would be our fault for not having you checked out by a doctor.”

“Yeah... I suppose you’re right,” I admitted grudgingly. I was still a little dizzy, though I was relatively sure it was more from exertion than from smoke inhalation. Still, better to be safe than sorry. And, with any luck, they’d give me the once-over and let me out in time to make my dinner date with mom. Following her direction, I climbed into the back of the ambulance.

“Hey, can I come too?” Whitney asked suddenly. “She’s, um... kind of a friend of mine.”

The EMT frowned for a moment, considering, then shrugged. “Sure. I suppose it’s okay. Climb in.”

And she did, surprising me yet again. The doors closed, and as soon as the EMT climbed into the front we were off. We sat in silence for several minutes, Whitney looking at me, biting her lip, as if she were trying to decide on her next words. Finally, she let out a soft sigh. “You know... you save my life once,” she said, glancing down at her feet, “back a few years ago.”

I blinked. This was news to me. “I did? Sorry... I don’t remember.”

She smirked, her lips twisted into her usual sarcastic grin. “I’m not surprised. You’re a pretty busy girl, and there was a lot going on that day. My mom and I were driving along in her old beat up Jeep Wrangler, when that old of control oil tanker truck came barreling down the hill towards us.“She shook her head. “I thought we were dead. Mom and I, we couldn’t think, couldn’t move... there was nowhere to pull over, and no time to get out of the way. And then... a bright light enveloped the jeep, and the next thing I know, we’re hovering in mid air, actually floating! I glanced around, and I saw you... floating there as well, all decked out in your pink and silver costume...” She sighed softly. “You set us down in the grass just off the side of the road, then flew off after the tanker. Mom and I just sat there in shock, trying to wrap our minds around the fact that we’d just be snatched out of the jaws of death by a little girl in pink spandex...”

She blinked, covering her mouth. “Er... sorry...,” she hastily apologized. “Didn’t mean to say it like that. It’s just... well, see, we’d always kind of joked around about you before that... I mean everyone had heard about the self proclaimed ‘Light of Justice’ and all that... some teen aged girl in a bright pink costume and cape, flying out to walk little old ladies across the street and help cats down out of trees—”

I bristled. I know my first few years as a heroine hadn’t been the most spectacular, or note worthy, but we all had to start somewhere, right? Besides, it wasn’t always about taking down the bad guys. Sometimes it was just as important to help people in small ways as it was the big ways. “Gee, thanks, Whit,” I said with a slight edge. “Somehow, you manage to even make an apology sound insulting!”

“Sorry!” she said, whining a bit. “I’m not trying to insult you, okay? I’m just trying to explain. See, you guys... you know, heroes and heroines, you guys were always... I dunno, kind of larger than life, yanno? Being saved by some Super in a bright sparkly costume... it was something that happened to other people. I always kind of shrugged it off, figuring that I was someone who lived in the ‘real world’, where things like that didn’t happen.” She scowled slightly. “Yeah... my boring, humdrum, little life. But then... suddenly, after that rescue, you became real to me. You weren’t just someone you read about in the papers or saw in the nightly news, you were a REAL flesh and blood heroine, one who had saved MY LIFE! And... I never even got the chance to thank you...“

Which was the sweetest, kindest thing Whitney had even said to me. I couldn’t help it. My heart went out to her. I reached out and placed a hand gently on her shoulder. “You just did, Whit,” I said with a smile. “And as for the rest... just forget it. High school is over and done with, right? We’re adults now. Let’s just put the past behind us and focus on the future.” I held out my hand. “Friends?” Whitney frowned, glancing around the room. “Um... friends?” I asked again, sticking out my hand. “Whitney?” I said a bit loudly, getting annoyed. “I’m trying to make a gesture here—”

“Hold it,” she hissed, waving a hand dismissively, which only pissed me off more. “I think we’re driving along Meadowlark road right now... just passing Chinden boulevard. I know, because they’ve were doing construction on the sidewalks all week with those damned loud ass jackhammers!”

“Yeah, okay,” I replied, not following. “So?”

She turned to face me then. “So, that means we’re heading east, towards the residential section. All the hospitals are back behind us, heading west from where we were!“

“Oh, crap, you’re right,” I said, getting to my feet. “We need to... uuughnnn,” I groaned, slipping back to my knees, feeling an intense wave of dizziness sweep over me. “Ohhh... my head... what the hell?” There was a strange smell in the air now... faint, but getting stronger. We were being gassed! “Whitney... you gotta... open the... back door...”

“Uuuhhnn,” Whitney moaned as well, dropping to the floor of the ambulance. She managed to crawl half a step towards the door, her hand outstretched, before succumbing to the gas. Exhausted and half asphyxiated before even getting into the ambulance, I didn’t even manage that much. Groaning, I rolled over onto my side, glancing up at the ceiling of the ambulance, a white ceiling that was growing steadily darker, fading from white, to gray, then to black...