The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Mysteries of Armand Dupuis #39

THE CASE OF THE BAREFOOTED MURDERESS

by Miss Briar Gasdsen

Chapter 8

Armand sat in his smoking jacket, sipping his brandy. He hoped it would facilitate some sleep. Even when not in the midst of a case, sleep was often elusive for him. His busy mind was reluctant to pause its computations for something as mundane as rest.

This night, even more pressing thoughts were plaguing him. Flashes of doubt regarding his plan tortured him.

Then there was his unwelcome alliance with a Tong and the Celestial. Working with them crossed a significant line for him. For the thousandth time, he looked balefully at the parcel in its brown paper and twine. He felt an urge yet again to throw it on a rubbish heap. Had Briar been there, she would have laughed and said it was his pride. The Great Armand Dupuis needed no help from criminals.

But those thoughts were not paramount. Most of all, he was tortured by the thought the Dark Count was not dead, and that he had helped put Briar into villain’s grasp.

* * *

The Count gave himself an injection of Morphine so to quell his never ceasing agony. His arm looked like burnt raw meat. He closed his eyes until the wave of slight relief came. He then walked to the mirror. Using both hands he felt for the release points under his mutton chops.

* * *

Briar placidly sat, this time in a chair with armrests. The chair was bolted to the floor. The new chamber was darkly painted and had a single light suspended over her. She shifted her gaze downward towards her illusionary Armand. He looked concerned.

”Is that too tight, My Love?” Dorvak had just finished binding her second bare ankle to the chair leg with a velvet rope. Her wrists were already similarly strapped to the arm rests.

She gazed at him, looking lovingly at his handsome face and slim, athletic build.

”No, Armand.” Her voice and smile were sweet, though a part of her causally wondered why her limbs were bound. She hadn’t thought Armand’s tastes would be so......exotic.

Dorvak struggled to get to his feet, managing only by grabbing the fixed chair. He catched his breath. As he did, he looked at his exquisite subject. Briar was the most desirable woman he had ever seen. But, his fear of the Count banished all but the most fleeting carnal thoughts. Instead, his mind focused on her scientific value.

Briar Gasdsen presented a neurological mystery. She had a powerful mind and will, yet she had proved a superb hypnotic subject. He had begun to wonder if her ability to go so deep into hypnosis was because of her high intelligence, not despite it. Perhaps her ability to imagine, honed by her years on stage as a successful actress, also contributed. He’d love to show her to his old mentor Charcot and the others at the Nancy School and to disprove their belief hypnosis was a kind of hysteria. He could even write a groundbreaking...

He caught himself. The Dark Count would never allow it. When he had signed his deal with that devil in London, he had become the Count’s servant, as much as his wife and the girls were his. He had no choice but to comply as his life and Lorna’s were held hostage. Almost every night, he had nightmares of the scoreboard youth’s head exploding at the baseball grounds.

Finally, he caught his breath.

”Briar, My Love, I need you to focus on my voice now. I have critical information to convey to you.”

Slight concern crossed her brow. “Certainly, Darling.....you can tell me anything. I am your barefooted servant.”

”I had hoped to spare you this, Briar.....but we are in dire adversity....adversity from one we thought vanquished forever.....the Dark Count.”

”Armand......that’s simply not possible. He’s dead.....we saw the body.....”. Tears began falling down her high cheeks.

”But it is true......in fact he is here...”

For the first time, Briar felt resistance and voiced it.

”NO! I don’t believe it. He’s dead. I killed him......killed him for what he did to you Armand....I killed him for you.”

The door opened, a ghoulish apparition appeared. Naked from the waist up, horrible burnt scarring covered the torso and half the face. But despite the disfigurement, the piecing eyes and wicked grin undeniably belonged to Count Ernesto Clement Spenzini.

Briar’s screaming went on for sometime, mingled with his insane laugh.

* * *

Lorna gently wiped Briar’s brow, while Dorvak listened through his stethoscope. Briar had suddenly lost consciousness.

“Well?” The Count’s voice held the same concern he would have if a useful horse had gone lame.

”I told you, Sir, your plan held risk......but I believe she is recovering from the shock.”

”Good......now finish it.” At that, the Count moved out of Briar’s line of sight, as Dorvak gave her another injection.

Dorvak nodded to Lorna, who wound the music box. Soon Beethoven filled the room again.

”Briar, are you with me.?”

After an agonizing pause, she murmured “Yessss...I’m with you, Armand....I am your barefooted servant.”

Dorvak sighed in relief. “You can relax now.....I’ve temporarily driven the Count away. But, we are still in great peril. We can only defeat the monster for good if you obey....obey without thought....obey without hesitation...you must obey, Briar, obey.....obey.....”

”Obey....must obey....”. Briar barely spoke above a whisper.

The Count stepped forward.

”Well done, Anton, well done, Sir. Miss Gasdsen is now the perfect instrument of our will. Now let her rest. In the morning, let her have some sun on her face. She’s been to the shore after all. And have Lorna sprinkle some sand on her clothing and shoes. That’s the kind of detail Dupuis will likely note.”

”Yes, Count.” Dorvak’s voice was low and resigned.

* * *

“That is not true, and grossly unfair of you, Singh.” The real Armand crumpled the note and threw it to the floor of his apartment. “I have every reason to believe she will be returned to us, and soon.”

The giant Sikh glared in response. Finally, Armand broke the tense silence. “You must trust me, Old Friend....this was the only way. I have spent many hours researching the subject, and am quite confident she will be fine after we spring our trap. Now, show me the result of your repairs.....I feel it might be key..”

Grudgingly, Singh nodded, and took the music box from his bag. Dupuis wound it, and pulled the switch.

”Beethoven’s Fur Elise.”, he observed.

Singh nodded his head in agreement. Their reverie was broken with a rapping on the front door. Singh took the box back, switched it off, and returned it to the bag. Armand opened the door.

“Briar, this is unexpected....”

* * *

Briar took a deep breath and forced the panic back down. It took all her will and acting talent to keep her voice and mien normal. It was difficult as she immediately noted that this false “Armand’s” eyes were too close together.

“Yes.....Armand.....I’ve returned. Hattie said you and......Singh.... were here so I rushed over. My time on the Shore gave me time to think, and I realized I’ve been horrid....to both of you. I realized you both always have my well being in mind. I sincerely apologize to you both.”

Singh vigorously shook his head and smiled. Briar noticed that this version of her friend had too thick of a brow, giving his face a sinister aspect. Fortunately, the true Armand had warned her and had fortified her.

The false Dupuis intently looked at her. “Yes, well...I’m glad you’ve seen the light. Now come in, I have some tea on......and those cakes you like from Maisel’s....”

”Oh, no......Armand....I can’t......I have errands to run. But, wait, I almost forgot....My dear Singh.....”

She went into her clutch. “I remembered how much you loved these the last time we were at in Atlantic City.” She pulled out a bag of salt water taffy.

Singh grinned broadly and took the candy.

* * *

Briar had removed her second boot by the time the hansom cab slowed to a stop. Scandalously, her legs were bare.

The door opened, and Dorvak entered. Briar, sobbing, threw herself into his chubby arms.

”It was just like you said, Armand......so horrible....they looked so much like you and Singh.”

“Yes, the Count’s homunculi are as ingenious as they are evil.”

”Ingenious, yes....but I saw the flaws...Just as you told me, Darling, They were both just somehow wrong.....I’ve never been so afraid....”

”Shhhhhhh, My Dear......You need to calm yourself.”

Dorvak reached into his pocket. Soon, “Fur Elise” filled the cab.

“Briar, are you with me?”

Slowly, she released her embrace, and sat back in the seat. Her eyes remained open, glassy and wide.

”Yes, Armand, I am with you and I am your barefooted servant.” Her voice was now emotionless.

”Did you give the Singh homunculus the poisoned candy?”

”Yes, Armand. I obeyed.”

”And what will you do tonight to the Armand homunculus?”

”I will obey. I will kill him.”

Dorvak looked sadly at her. “Yes, I’m quite sure you will.”

He left her in her zombified state, murmuring new commands as the carriage began moving.